Midas Touch | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

YOUR RATING = None |
good
good
Read the review

Midas TouchMidas Touch

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States | website

Style: Herbed / Spiced Beer

This sweet yet dry beer is made with ingredients found in 2,700-year-old drinking vessels from the tomb of King Midas. Somewhere between wine and mead, Midas will please the chardonnay and beer drinker alike.

Added by purplehops on 10-31-2001

Reviews: 1,616 | Ratings: 4,663
3.71/5  rDev -0.3%

purchased as a 12 oz bottle in SF CA. Beer pours a seriously dark golden honey color and has little head to speak of. Very little carbonation on this one. Smell is of white grapes and a funky malt and honey scent, a little off in my opinion.Taste is alcohol up front with a big sweetness at the finish. In between is hard to describe but its a bit sour and funky. Mouth feel on this beer is quite nice, its smooth and easy going. The drink ability is quite high for such a strong beer, hardly notice that its 9 percent. A good beer for fans of the unusual.

2.79/5  rDev -25%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

At first site with a nice somewhat strong head but later to be paired with a mediocure appearance overall, I expected more from midas touch. The first inhale was of a deep honey mixed with a little spice. I expected the barley to be one of the main features of this beer, but along the lines of the 3rd sip quickly realized this was a beer and white wine match made in heaven. From my personal beer preference it was flat out just too winey for my liking. A giant fan of dogfish at heart...but this one is definitely 60 & 90 minutes apart from the IPA.

3.7/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Another interesting beer from these guys.

The first thing I noticed was the grapes. Not too up front, but probably the most notable characteristic of the beer- smell and taste. Doesn't feel like 9% ABV. I thought it seemed like it had a bit of a sour taste to it as well, though I'd like to have another to be sure.

I enjoyed this beer, but considering the pricetag, I won't frequent it. Worth a try, of course.

3.7/5  rDev -0.5%

A - pours a golden yellow with virtually no head

S - grapes, sweet malt, saffron in the back

T - white grapes, honey towards the end and then barley on the finish

M - fairly smooth, low/med carbonation, med body with a light creaminess or roundness

D - i really enjoyed this beer, it was different. It looked and smelled like wine, but tasted like a beer. I couldnt have too much of it at one time, but i do think its an enjoyable beer.

4.44/5  rDev +19.4%

Bottled on date 2 May 2011, poured into a crystal mug.

A: Pours golden with a slight haze. 1 inch off white head with medium sized bubbles which drops to a thin film with a little lacing.

S: Very interesting aroma, has a nice spicy smell almost musky. Honey and grapes are evident in the aroma, enticing me to take a big sip.

T: Lots of things going on! The grapes are up front, with a slight bitterness. Honey sweetness and a light saffron flavor. Aftertaste is all honey, feels like I just had a spoon full of honey.

M: Light carbonation and a medium mouthfeel.

O: This is a great brew, much more beer like than I was expecting (this is a good thing!). Very dangerous at 9% abv, I could drink this all day. I'm wondering what this would be with some wild bugs in the mix. Would be a good idea as the "original" definitely had some funk.

3.98/5  rDev +7%

Been a long-time lurker, but this is my first review on BA.

Appearance: Beautiful bronze-like golden color. Light & thin head. Bubbles constantly rising. Very carbonated, and very inviting beer I must say.

Smell: I'm personally getting hints of dark fruit, but very light hints at the same time. Grapes, prunes, raisins, and plum. Not too deep or invigorating though.

Taste: The aroma suddenly vanishes after the first sip - however there is an excellent balance of the spices, malt, and hops. Very well formed. The only characteristic I'd like to experience more of would probably be the hops.

Mouthfeel: Incredibly thin - almost like I'm taking a sip of Calistoga sparkling water. Very boozy as well, especially for such a smooth beer.

Overall: Definitely does not fit a typical 9% beer, but I am also not dissatisfied. This is very well an above-average beer, and I'm impressed at how well-hidden the alcohol is, even with a boozy aftertaste. I gotta say that this beer is rather interesting.

3.89/5  rDev +4.6%

You try this beer because you heard the story and you want to know what beer might have been like 3000 years ago. But then you remember they did not have 9.0 ABV beer back then. Still the story is great!

3.5/5  rDev -5.9%

Poured from a 12oz bottle with a bottled on date-01/04/06.
Poured into the pint glass a light copper tone with hints of orange. The head was light, white, tight laced, but short lived. Traces of lace in the glass.
One should take time in the nose. Layers of pine nuts, safron, honey, concord grape and light buttery carmel prepare you for a mouthful of joy.
The mouthfeel is thick. The honey and spice create a front and the buttery diacetyl carrie the malt, corn, and concord grape over the tongue and in the finish is a sweet warmth from the alcohol and a piney sap bitter linger.

2.38/5  rDev -36%

Poured into a Stella chalice

A: Pours golden amber with a 1 finger white head that fades quickly. Steady steams of bubbles originate from the bottom.

N: Honey and grapes dominate the nose. Has a spicy character as well.

T: The grapes are overpowering. Has a spicy character I cannot quite put my finger on. Also get a slight floral taste similar to lilac. Alcohol bite is there from beginning to end. It warms as it goes down.

M: Crisp and clean. Goes down a little rough secondary to the heavy alcohol note.

D: Did not care much for this one. The beverage seems confused as to whether it is a beer or a wine. While I like experimental beers, this one just does not do it for me. I find this very similar in aroma and taste to DFH 2008 release of theobroma.

3.92/5  rDev +5.4%

I've only tried three DFH brews: 90-minute IPA, the Festina Peche and now Midas Touch. When I first had 90-minute IPA back in college, I was blown away. I'd say it (and Arrogant Bastard) opened my eyes to what strong beers could be, so I have a lot to owe to DFH.

Flashforward some six years and I've tried the Festina Peche and was turned off by its tartness. I admire what they tried, but I didn't enjoy it. Now, I've finally decided to try a Midas Touch single from BevMo. It's supposed to be an old-world recipe of an "ancient ale". I like that they are trying to keep the old ways alive while trying new things.

Anyway, the beer looks nice. Sort of a copper color in my lighting, a thin head but lots of carbonation. It smells strong of the muscat grapes, with maybe a hint of honey. The taste starts off very honey sweet, then has the muscat grape tartness after it. It's a weird order; I figured the sweetness would come after.

It feels good in the mouth. Bubbly, tart (but not too tart) and sweet. It reminds me of a Belgian ale mixed with a honey beer or something. I can taste the spices in the aftertaste, and they're pleasing, but nothing spectacular.

The thing is, just for trying this beer, I enjoyed it. In fact, I'd say it's a good beer, and I feel like I'm reliving history. Yet, I couldn't see myself drinking this again. And if I had to have a 4-pack of it, I would have been upset. It's not a sessionable drink, it's not particularly amazing, and I couldn't picture a time or place outside of my room that I would like to drink it.

Still, I'm glad I tried it, and I recommend all beer drinkers to try it just to get a taste of the old world.

3.88/5  rDev +4.3%

A - Poured from a bottle with a bottled on date of 3/13/12 (about 6 weeks old). Color is light orange and very clear. Minimal head but small bubbles that rise continuously.

S - The first thing I notice is that of yeasty, bready aromas, almost like rising bread dough. After drinking some, it started to smell like a white wine to me. Some slight hop aroma.

T - Taste is quite interesting. This is a strong beer so that alcohol flavor comes through along with some fruity flavors -- apricot, grape, bitter orange. There is some bitterness but I'm mostly tasting the spices. There's a honey flavor that starts off subtle and grows in the aftertaste, which is nice.

M - Medium bodied mouthfeel. It has some sweetness but the carbonation balances it out. Very pleasant.

O - This is a very interesting beer. It comes across almost like a wine to me, which makes me want to drink only about half a bottle in a single setting.

3.08/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Nice golden color with a decent head. This one reminded me more of a cross breed of a fruit beer (grape/raisin) and a barley wine. Alcohol smell and taste was a high. Overall decent tasting, but left an overly sweet aftertaste and thick residue on the throat. There is a very original taste of saffron (a very expensive spice) in this one that makes it interesting to try even if it is not you typical everyday bear. Reminiscent of Victory's Golden Monkey but not as drinkable.

Overall. not one of my favorites (I hear this one improves with age) from Dogfish Head, but still better than many out there.

3.6/5  rDev -3.2%

What an interesting beer! I read about the creation of Midas Touch in Sam Calagione's book and had to try it, though it took a while to find. It was worth the effort.

Pours a deep gold, with a small and fast-fading head. Thick and sticky. The aroma is dominated by honey, but with a very slight winey prickliness. Some malty notes, too, but no perceptible hop aroma. Rich and sweet.

The taste is quite complex. Again, honey is in the forefront. The malt is stronger here than in the nose, and is very sweet. I can really taste the grapes here, kind of like a riesling or muscato, maybe even an ice wine. Very little bitterness. The overall impression is sweetness, though it's interesting since there are three distinct flavors from grapes, malt, and especially honey.

This beer is very thick. It coats the mouth, and with little bitterness and very light carbonation this could become cloying after a while. Would be a perfect beer on a chilly fall day, but I wouldn't want it on a steamy August night. I think I'd like this better a bit more attenuated and perhaps with a little more carbonation.

A truly unique brew. There's a lot going on in here, and I'd definitely like to try it again at some point. While I wasn't drinking with food, I'll bet this would be excellent with Indian food, many types of Greek and Middle Eastern dishes, and lots of desserts - especially anything with honey.

3.83/5  rDev +3%

I had this at a Dogfish Head Beer dinner.

Appearance: White, frothy head that dissipated quickly into a light layer of foam. Light golden color

Smell: fruity aroma

Taste: a thick skinned grapes, followed by alcohol, almost like a dry wine

Mouthfeel: dry

Drinkability: This would be a session beer however the ABV doesn’t lend itself to that – overall I think this is a good beer and especially since it reminds me of a wine

3.08/5  rDev -17.2%

This is what I call a landslide beer. It starts great, but declines as the experience goes on.

first off, this is an ancient ale from the tomb of king midas, but that is not completely accurate, as a lot changes had to be made to make it a beer and not a slop. This makes the beer better than people were drinking thousands of years ago, but I think we should be drinking better beer than people who didn't know that yeast existed.

The color is a great golden ruby color with a good head.

It smells a little sweet, but very alluring with the grape smell coming to life.

It tastes a little too sweet for a beer, but still quite good, and the flavors are very prominant of honey and muscat grapes.

It is a little winey with a little alcohol burn. This gets worse if you get it in bottle, since the aromas aren't allowed to escape unless it sits a little while.

It is not very drinkable, because due to the sweetness and alcohol, if you do not take this with food, you may be choking down the last gulp. Lastly, DO NOT LET THIS BEER GET WARM!! It turns into a beast.

4.74/5  rDev +27.4%

A a light golden amber color to the liquid with a creamy white, but fairly thin head that refuses to diminish. Spotty lace is left on the head.

S a good full force nose with a young fruit taste to it, such as pear and grape. A bit of a cereal smoothness and notes of honey.

T First and foremost you get hit with the honey. Good notes of sweet ripened fruits with a bit of pomegranate. There is a noticable hint of alchahol, but it is balanced out by a perfect ammount of malt.

MF the mouthfeel is what really setts this beer apart. A thick and full creamy beer, much more than the golden color would suggest. If you didn't account for the taste or smell this beer is like a creamy stout.

DA A very easy drinker, but you can't pound these babys down, but that's perfect. Who would want to waste all this taste?

Over all I think this is an under rated beer, worthy to sit in the beer halls as a good experimental beer that came off just right. With this great taste and cute story how can you go wrong?

4.27/5  rDev +14.8%

Quite a tasty beverage from the Dogfish head brewery. I thought this would be too sweet considering the muscat grapes and saffron. However, this beer had almost everything needed to pull off the right amount of malty bitterness to sweet after taste. The golden amber smooth coloration was pleasing to the eye and the sweet but subtle smell allowed for enjoyment to be had all the way through. I rather enjoyed this beer.

3.33/5  rDev -10.5%

2010 Bottle in the hotel room in DC - Pours a hazy deep golden with a frothy off white head...aroma is very malty and grain forward, very light herbal spice with some fruuity esters as well...flavour is similar, sweet gritty barley, dry white vinous grapes, honey and alcohol...hated this the first time I had it and now I really like it, this would be an awesome fall beer...

3.42/5  rDev -8.1%

A: Golden, and pale. Pretty clear. Foamy white head with minutes of retention.

S: Very Belgium fruity like. Apples and honey present.

T: Lager like malt in the front with fruits that divebomb in the end. But wait! This beer comes back. Seriously! The ending note doesn't come until it hits your stomach and then travels up to the back of your mouth. Finishes like apple juice.

M: Very light. Very good carbonation. Well balanced.

D: Drinks like a skunk lager. It really does. Fruity Bud-Light. I'm sorry Sam! Besides that weird resurgance thing the fruits do there just isn't that much to this beer. It's quite drinkable but kind of boring.

2.57/5  rDev -30.9%

I am not sure what I may have been expecting, but this wasn't it. The 'Golden' in the Golden Elixer expressed on the label is certainly correct...

Perhaps it was the particlar bottle (and considering that it's DFH, I'm certainly willing to take a second chance)... but this brew was much more sour than spicy.

3.4/5  rDev -8.6%

This is like a wine for beer drinkers and a beer for wine drinkers. I make that comparison only because my parents are winos and I "forced" each of them to try a glass.

Our initial reactions were indecision mixed with misunderstanding of the pricey tag on the four pack of this I had purchased. It had an OK taste, but nothing really deserving of its price.

After the first round, we waited until after a meal to have another round. Oddly, the flavor of the beer came forth. To me, it tasted like a light white wine with hints of spice and a passable finish. For my parents, it seemed like a light beer with hints of spice and a passable finish.

None of us all that impressed with it, but I wouldn't pass up the chance to try it again. It seems like each successive time I drink it, the flavor improves, or maybe I'm more able to discern its subtle taste.

4.34/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

After a long craft beer drought caused by the budgetary concerns of a recent college graduate I was relieved by a recent windfall which resulted in my acquisition of Midas Touch from Dogfish Head Brewery. I found myself drawn to the concept, after weeks of consuming domestic beer the opportunity to enjoy a brew inspired by one of the earliest breweries had me excited.

After opening the bottle and pouring its contents into a pint glass I found myself intrigued by the amber hues with strong condensation and the thin white had that dissipated rapidly. The scent of honey and flower brought to mind a picture of the earliest sedentary societies and for a moment I envisioned what it would be like if I were to share this brew with them.

Following a toast to those who inspired this recipe I sipped the beer and found myself pleasantly surprised to taste a beer with an actual mouthfeel. While beer aficionados frequently laud those brews with a long mouth feel I tend to believe the abundance of carbonation precludes a mouthfeel on par with what a complex wine can offer. In contrast, this honey heavy concoction has a buttery quality that coats the mouth and makes it a great selection to pair with food.

3.64/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Appearance: Poured into a Duvel Snifter. No head though a light lace circled the glass with a small portion resting in the center. The lace remained throughout drinking never sticking to the glass, but instead haloing the edge. A clear medium carbonation was even throughout the entire beer. An amber color leaning more towards orange rather than red.
Initially I was disappointed that the beer had no head, but I don't think this style should have a big head and no longer hold that against the beer. This should be taken into consideration by other people who try it.

Smell: The snifter helped accentuate the smell of this beer, which is sweet and complicated. Saffron and grape combine to provide a unique distinct smell that is pleasant and inviting.
I was impressed with the smell, my notes read, "Great". It was very inviting and made me want to try this beer.

Taste: Like it's smell, the taste is complicated. Sweet, saffron, and spice in the background. The spice sticks with you not only after you finish a drink, but for a while. Stick with this beer all night or clean your palate as this will cloud all other drinks afterwards.
My notes read, "pleasant, but inescapable." It is difficult to get rid of the taste of this beer. It is a good tasting beer, but unique. The spice actually becomes better after you get use to it and I think a second is always much better than the first. Again, don't plan on switching beers afterwards because Midas Touch will demand to continue to be tasted. Last point and this is the most important. This beer tastes better warmed rather than cold. Ice cold does not compliment this beer. Open it, smell it, watch it. Let it warm up, give it time to breath, it gets better if you give it time.

Mouthfeel:
Again, interesting and unique. An initial reaction may be dislike because it's sort of strange. However the strangeness has brought me back for more, because the flavors and smells combine to make an interesting complicated platform that can continued to be examined.

Drinkability:
The uniqueness and complexity of this drink gives something beer lovers should try several time before they make up their mind. The background spicyness grows as one drinks this and it contributes to a cap on the number of these one could have in a night. One is ok, two is good, three may be great, but four in a row is likely to many. The carbonation and grapes combine to give this beer a pseudo-wine or champagne like feel. Others have mentioned this beer is good upon occasion, or if one is in the right mood. I think this beer should be approached as if it were a wine or champagne. Any gathering where alcohol is served, but the goal isn't be get trashed is a good time to bring out this beer. There's no way anyone could pound these. They sort of cap themselves, but before you get sick of them, they are really good. Celebrate it's uniqueness at celebrations.

4.18/5  rDev +12.4%

Day two tasting Dogfishhead beers. Got bottles at Total Wine & More in Glendale AZ. Appearance - great golden wheat field color. Great initial head off pour...head lasts couple minutes, lingers to nice white ring. Excellent appearance. Smell - nice, light smell...fresh buttermilk biscuits. Taste - barley, orange peel, chocolate syrup. Strange aftertaste. Mouthfeel - lingers long...I like it, full, rich. Drinkability - really good beer. Just noticed 9% which I don't like. Maybe occasionally.

4.5/5  rDev +21%

Poured into tumbler pint glass

A-Gorgeous pale golden orange color with a hint of amber to it. Nice 1 1/2 finger head that reduced to about 3/4 finger. Nice even lacing, hangs around the sides for while.

S- The honey comes out nicely at first, (reminds me of a nice dry mead), paired with the nice sour aroma of grapes, while the barley seems to carry them through in the middle ground.

T- Wow! The sweet honey really shines out beautifully, with a lovely grape flavor mingling well with the barley. The flavors linger beautifully in the aftertaste. The honey slightly recedes to the background, while the barley and honey take the stage. This really reminds of a mead, with splash of concord grape wine in the mix. A very synergistic bouquet.

M- Smooth, light, slightly crispy.

D- I find this one to be highly drinkable, as it drinks smoothly, while offering a huge burst of wonderful flavors.

Dogfish Head is known for specializing in fine brews of near-incomparable uniqueness, and Midas Touch, to my mind, is one such beer (especially considering its historical background). The sweet and inviting aroma opens up to a most pleasant flavor profile, characterized by a tasty honey sweetness akin to a traditional mead, accentuated by the sweet and tangy grapes, well balanced by the barley, which is followed by a most delightful aftertaste that lingers nicely. From start to finish, i would say this beer is superb in many respects, and therefore highly recommend it to those who seek something truly unique in a beer. I will gladly buy it again.

Midas Touch from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery