Midas Touch - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: purplehops on 10-31-2001

This sweet yet dry beer is made with ingredients found in 2,700-year-old drinking vessels from the tomb of King Midas. Somewhere between wine and mead, Midas will please the chardonnay and beer drinker alike.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Midas Touch Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,592 | Hads: 4,498
3.64/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Appearance: Poured into a Duvel Snifter. No head though a light lace circled the glass with a small portion resting in the center. The lace remained throughout drinking never sticking to the glass, but instead haloing the edge. A clear medium carbonation was even throughout the entire beer. An amber color leaning more towards orange rather than red.
Initially I was disappointed that the beer had no head, but I don't think this style should have a big head and no longer hold that against the beer. This should be taken into consideration by other people who try it.

Smell: The snifter helped accentuate the smell of this beer, which is sweet and complicated. Saffron and grape combine to provide a unique distinct smell that is pleasant and inviting.
I was impressed with the smell, my notes read, "Great". It was very inviting and made me want to try this beer.

Taste: Like it's smell, the taste is complicated. Sweet, saffron, and spice in the background. The spice sticks with you not only after you finish a drink, but for a while. Stick with this beer all night or clean your palate as this will cloud all other drinks afterwards.
My notes read, "pleasant, but inescapable." It is difficult to get rid of the taste of this beer. It is a good tasting beer, but unique. The spice actually becomes better after you get use to it and I think a second is always much better than the first. Again, don't plan on switching beers afterwards because Midas Touch will demand to continue to be tasted. Last point and this is the most important. This beer tastes better warmed rather than cold. Ice cold does not compliment this beer. Open it, smell it, watch it. Let it warm up, give it time to breath, it gets better if you give it time.

Mouthfeel:
Again, interesting and unique. An initial reaction may be dislike because it's sort of strange. However the strangeness has brought me back for more, because the flavors and smells combine to make an interesting complicated platform that can continued to be examined.

Drinkability:
The uniqueness and complexity of this drink gives something beer lovers should try several time before they make up their mind. The background spicyness grows as one drinks this and it contributes to a cap on the number of these one could have in a night. One is ok, two is good, three may be great, but four in a row is likely to many. The carbonation and grapes combine to give this beer a pseudo-wine or champagne like feel. Others have mentioned this beer is good upon occasion, or if one is in the right mood. I think this beer should be approached as if it were a wine or champagne. Any gathering where alcohol is served, but the goal isn't be get trashed is a good time to bring out this beer. There's no way anyone could pound these. They sort of cap themselves, but before you get sick of them, they are really good. Celebrate it's uniqueness at celebrations. (2,916 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +12.4%

Day two tasting Dogfishhead beers. Got bottles at Total Wine & More in Glendale AZ. Appearance - great golden wheat field color. Great initial head off pour...head lasts couple minutes, lingers to nice white ring. Excellent appearance. Smell - nice, light smell...fresh buttermilk biscuits. Taste - barley, orange peel, chocolate syrup. Strange aftertaste. Mouthfeel - lingers long...I like it, full, rich. Drinkability - really good beer. Just noticed 9% which I don't like. Maybe occasionally. (495 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +21%

Poured into tumbler pint glass

A-Gorgeous pale golden orange color with a hint of amber to it. Nice 1 1/2 finger head that reduced to about 3/4 finger. Nice even lacing, hangs around the sides for while.

S- The honey comes out nicely at first, (reminds me of a nice dry mead), paired with the nice sour aroma of grapes, while the barley seems to carry them through in the middle ground.

T- Wow! The sweet honey really shines out beautifully, with a lovely grape flavor mingling well with the barley. The flavors linger beautifully in the aftertaste. The honey slightly recedes to the background, while the barley and honey take the stage. This really reminds of a mead, with splash of concord grape wine in the mix. A very synergistic bouquet.

M- Smooth, light, slightly crispy.

D- I find this one to be highly drinkable, as it drinks smoothly, while offering a huge burst of wonderful flavors.

Dogfish Head is known for specializing in fine brews of near-incomparable uniqueness, and Midas Touch, to my mind, is one such beer (especially considering its historical background). The sweet and inviting aroma opens up to a most pleasant flavor profile, characterized by a tasty honey sweetness akin to a traditional mead, accentuated by the sweet and tangy grapes, well balanced by the barley, which is followed by a most delightful aftertaste that lingers nicely. From start to finish, i would say this beer is superb in many respects, and therefore highly recommend it to those who seek something truly unique in a beer. I will gladly buy it again. (1,555 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -4%

Appearance: A beautiful, transparent, golden appearance, but weak carbonation and virtually no head retention. It looks like cream soda and has the carbonation retention of cream soda.

Smell: smells like a belgian with honey notes and saffron. malty.

taste: Winey and malty, floral notes and a slight tang of bitterness

Mouthfeel: surprisingly smooth, it's belgian-esque in the taste but does not have the harsh and souring aftertaste.

Drinkablity: The taste does not sour or age poorly. I finished this beer without effort. (528 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +14.2%

Had in a snifter.

A: Clear light amber. Thin white head doesn't hang around, but keeping in mind that this beer forgoes hops, it's a good-looking brew.

S: Floral with noticeable white wine. Fruity. Bit of sweet honey and malt, and touch of alcohol. Like a fruity white wine with malt.

T: Similar to the smell, but with more noticeable bready malt and sweetness up front. Vinous and fruity flavors follow, finishing with light bitterness and round, earthy flavor that lingers. This might be the saffron. Alcohol gives a bit of a bite, but it's surprisingly well hidden in such a delicate brew.

M: Carbonation is a bit harsh, but this is followed by a soft light-medium body. Finishes with a white wine-like bite.

D: The only harsh characteristic of this odd beer is the mild overcarbonation, and for that I'd call it drinkable, especially considering the 9% ABV. There are many pleasant flavors here and probably more going on than my palate can cope with. An enigma. This would make a good alternative to white wine, even Champagne, and is probably best paired with food. (1,076 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +14.2%

Poured from a bottle into a sam adams beer glass

golden yellow color, with a nice white head that lingers slightly in the glass, lively carbonation, sweet almost raisin like taste, dry finish that makes you want to take another drink

overall a good beer, don't think you want to drink a bunch in a row but great as an occasional treat (336 characters)

2.87/5  rDev -22.8%

Meh. I was looking forward to this one but it was kind of a let down...

Looks golden with a white head.

Smells really interesting, like grapes(!) and beer.

This is where I got kinda upset: it tastes like blue point blueberry ale, except instead of blueberries, there's an awkward unpleasant spiciness with some mixed in grape flavor. After the first few sips I could get some residual honey flavor on my tongue, but as the beer warmed I stopped tasting it. Then it started tasting like alcohol and nasty bitterness.

Feels like beer in my mouth, fine bubbles maybe?

Nothing about this beer makes it particularly pleasant to drink.

Overall, I like the flavor of Steel Reserve Malt Liquor more than this (and in all honesty, as a craft brew drinker, steel reserve is NOT BAD AT ALL! try it some time). (804 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +21.8%

A - Rich golden color, true to its name.

S - Very sweet scent

T - Where do I begin... It's extremely sweet but not in the typical sense, it's a very complex sweetness similar to a wine (a moscato) and the honey definitely comes through.

M - Good carbonation, just right I would say.

O - Overall a very interesting beer, not one I would drink every day but definitely one of my favorites. (391 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -12.4%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a SA Perfect Pint glass. This beer pours a clear honey/amber color,the low carbonation produces a thin head that disappears quickly,but leaves some lacing. The nose has a herbal quality with scents of honey,notes of banana and spices. Honey flavor is right up front with sweet grapes following behind. There is also a nice spiciness on the tongue,and a  bready quality. The mouthfeel is medium thick and somewhat oily. This beer has almost no bitterness but somehow avoids being overly sweet and it hides the relatively high ABV very well. Not an everyday brew for me,but a nice change of pace beer.  (633 characters)

3.66/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a frosted pint glass. Poured smoothly to a 1/4" white head. Probably should have used a goblet in hindsight.

A - 1/4" head disappeared quickly. Orange, slightly copper color. Fine carbonation rising throughout a 10 minute delay.

S - white grapes from the start, maybe a touch of cinnamon.

T - sweet hit first, followed by a finish of warm spices and caramel

M - much more full bodied than expected from the look. Carbonation returned with the taste - somewhat fooled by the appearance.

O - good overall, probably best enjoyed post meal, or with a sweet-ish main course.

This is a very complex beer that could be perceived many different ways. I had just finished a spicy Antipasto salad, and I'm sure that influenced my comments. (766 characters)

3.34/5  rDev -10.2%

The aroma coming off the pour was a lot of fun. It was sweet and spicy and strong... I wanted to just sniff for a while. This looks exactly like a cream soda and has a somewhat similar taste. The honey gives it plenty of sweetness while the grapes steer the flavor. The result is something like grape Bubblicious, but in a restrained, non-offensive way. I couldn't drink too many of these in a session; either the sweetness or the ABV would overwhelm me. (454 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a yellow-copper color. Initially a good head but dies pretty quickly after pouring. Honey and grapes dominate the smell. The taste is definitely unique. The honey, grapes and saffron mix well with the malt to give a spicy yet sweet taste. The alcohol comes through a bit but isn't so strong as to dominate the flavor. While I enjoy this brew every once and a great while, I found that the novelty has worn off. After trying it again after some time I wasn't nearly as impressed as I was the first time. That said it was nice to sample an interpretation of how beer was in its infancy. (590 characters)

3.78/5  rDev +1.6%

Aroma - Biscuity malt smells hit me first, followed by some grape. The alcohol aromas came through after it warmed up a bit.

Appearance - Clear gold with very little head.

Flavor - This one is very sweet, almost like a dessert wine. The grapes are predominant and the honey is there as well, just as advertised. There is not so much in the way of hops, but I really like the spices that come in and leave a tingle on the palate.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied and very smooth.

This was an interesting one, but what did I expect from a recipe that is 2700 years old. King Midas approved and so do I. (599 characters)

3.56/5  rDev -4.3%

The pour has very little head and after about 30 seconds the head is gone altogether. There is very little carbonation, but the taste is good. The white grape is evident along with the barley wine giving it a nice sweetness mixed with bitterness.

It reminds me of a sauvignon blanc with hops. Not the best beer I've had from Dogfish but it's definitely worth a try if you're interested in the whole ancient ale thing. (418 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +7%

This beer is interesting in the sense that it is really impossible to rate. It's based off an ancient beer, it's in it's own category, so really there's no other beer to gauge it against.

So I'll just hit the important parts,

S: the aroma was nothing special, kinda bland.

T: was thick and tasted almost more like wine with the very strong flavors of grape and honey, but tastes exactly like I would think an ancient beer to be like, not exactly a beer but not exactly a wine.

M: taking into account the process of how I took the taste again the mouth feel was great, it was smooth and had no indication of the fact that it was a 9% beer.

O: was highly impressed with this beer as a beer, it was ok but for wthat DFH was going for it was easily a 5. So it becomes a 4. It's beers like this and breweries like this that are the reason why I'm excited to try a new beer everytime I go somewhere. I would definitely have this beer again. (942 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A: clear, honey color, 1 finger head, no lacing on the glass.

S: sweet floral, grape jelly, grape bubblegum.

T: strong honey, grainy-barley, warming on the palate.

M: light to medium bodied, light carbonation

O: this is a unique, straight forward beer. I enjoyed the flavor and consistency. I am surprised that it doesn't have a higher rating on this board. However, perhaps that is because of its simplicity. For me, the smell does not translate into the taste, but I really liked that. I will have this one again, for sure! (529 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +13.7%

The 9% gives this beer a nice kick.
Great appearance and an interesting blend of spices.
The label says barley, honey, white muscat grapes and saffron, but the blend mixes well and and one flavor does not over power any of the others.
A nice change a pace and flavor from a regular beer. If you are interested in trying a "spice" beer, give this one a go. Always a reliable choice, the Dogfish Beer Company.
Enjoy! (416 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -3.2%

I encountered an interesting smell as I opened the bottle which reminded me of the smell of dates.

I poured half of the bottle into a white wine glass, despite having beer glassware available, at the suggestion of Dogfish Head's site.

Observed a pale amber color with little head (or visibly apparent carbonation for that matter). There was an...enchanting smell. Smelled like a fruity champagne

The carbonation became apparent at the first sip, medium carbonation I'd say. Interestingly, some sort of flavor (the muscat grapes?) seemed to blanket my tongue, as if I poured something syrupy over it.

After finishing the first half, I poured the other (now somewhat warmer) half into my glass. Still almost no head despite the increased warmth. This half started tasting more like beer. The malt, I think, became more pronounced with the warmth, and the honey starts to come through. The odd blanketing flavor also became less apparent.

Overall and interesting beer. Not my favorite, but I'd have it again. (1,010 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 3.5

As an introduction, I was tremendously excited to try Midas Touch from the first time I heard about it; I wasn't let down.

Pours a slightly hazy, light gold, similar to a Belgian pale. Aroma is reminiscent of white wine, very strong grape character with plenty of alcohol and a mildly peppery spice. Tastes at first of bushels of sweet malt, with a quick detour into boozy spice before resolving into grape and honey sweetness, and a warming finish. Mouthfeel is outstanding, slick and effervescent. Between the complexity and the ABV, it's hard to drink more than a couple, but the first one or two are very good. (615 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +24.7%

I was lucky enough to snag a vintage 2008 bottle at the Fermentation Lounge in Tallahassee Fl. I was hesitant at first, but this was a definite treat.

Appearance - poured a nice deep gold with minimal white/crem colred head and minimal lacing.

Smell - The smell was astonishing. Immediately you smell the grapes. This is a natural muscadine grape scent, not artificial by any means. Following this was the presence of honey and a slightly spiced aromatic. There was not the slightest present of yeastiness or the smell of alcohol. This could only be comparitive to a finely aged wine...EXCEPTIONAL!

Taste - The taste was phenominal as well. Immediately the presence of the grapes is profound followed by a meshing with honey. A slight bitterness blends with the sweetness as to not overwhelm your palate with sweetness. Very smooth with little carbonation.

Mouthfeel - The mouthfeel is very nice and unique. It is medium bodied with a unique wine-like mouth presence. Very little carbonation present on the palate.

Drinkability - I love this beer. It is so unique and so refreshing that you can help to stop at one. I will be buying some bottles to age very soon.

CHEERS!

(Also, I have never had this beer in its fresher state for a new vs. aged comparison. Therefore, my review may greatly differ from a newer dated botle.) (1,331 characters)

3.82/5  rDev +2.7%

Drinking like the Pharaoh's! I like Dogfish Head, and when I heard about this beer I knew I had to give it a try. Very unique and tasty.

The presentation of the beer is good. Clean, golden, royal.
Both the smell and taste are sincere, and really great at showing the honey, grape, and spice aspects of the brew.

The mouthfeel presents that higher ABV, but remains smooth until the aftertaste hits you with the spice and herb. Overall I will buy this again and appreciated its distinct character. (497 characters)

3.94/5  rDev +5.9%

Had in a 12 oz brown bottle poured into large wine glass.

This beer has a golden, pale, honey color with a little bit of head that lingers for a while and never quite disappears till the last sip.

Doesn't smell as much like saffron and grapes like i was expecting, but i am getting a nice sweet honey smell along with a bit of alcohol on the nose. nothing very special about the smell

I am pleasantly surprised by the taste. they did a nice job of disguising the 9% alcohol. It has a slightly sweet taste, i am definitely getting some flavor from the honey and grape. while the saffron is very low key i am getting some kind of a spicy taste lingering into the after taste.

this beer is extremely drinkable for 9% and while it is not my favorite type of beer i would definitely consider drinking it again. (809 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -18.8%

A: 1/2 fingertip-length head is nice, I'm not a fan of floaters in my beer and I'm trying to figure out why they would be present in this beer. The beer is a bright orange/yellow.

S: Earthy, Earthy, Earthy...It smells like a chardonnay that has had some odd spices and sugars (def honey) added to it. I would swear that this was an odd type of lager before drinking. I'm not a huge fan, but for the style it's probably spot on.

T: Taste matches smell, earthy. Taste lots of spices in the beer, one of which is clearly saffron, but the others are jumbled a bit together. You can taste the honey, but any sweetness is dulled by the spices and light chardonnay flavor. The beer is kind of dull in the front, you start tasting the sweetness in the middle, and the spices really kick in as you sip it down (my favorite part of this beer).

M: Really thin for such a high ABV beer, but with the style, that makes more sense. It's over carbonated, but to each his own. I also think it's too watery.

*This may be the only fruit/spice beer that I've found bearable. I'm still not the biggest fan of this one either, but I'm starting to think I may never like this style. However, I'll rate it according to others I've had in its category. The back-end of this beer's taste is it's highlight, as you get a lot of different flavors. I just never felt like this beer knew where it was going. Also, I would drink this really cold as I enjoyed it less as it heated up (unlike usual). (1,473 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -4%

Dogfish Head- Midas Touch Golden Elixir
Bottled on: 10/23/09
Just over 6 months old

A- Clear dark honey color with a very small amount of head leaving just a thin ring around the edges. Medium carbonation, this beer almost looks like apple juice.

S- Smells of sweet citrus. As it warmed up the honey and white grape smell really came through.

T-Sweet and citrus taste with a very slight bitter note. Very well balanced in my opinion. The barley stands out in the finish. As it warmed the grape taste shined.

M- It is light and smooth in the mouth. Leaving a light sugary taste. The carbonation on this gives it a fun feel in the mouth.

D- Crisp and refreshing. Smooth and easy to drink.

I love the history of this beer and was glad to try it. I will revisit this one when given the chance. (795 characters)

3.22/5  rDev -13.4%

Appearance: Yellow-orange in appearance and transparent. Poured somewhat aggressively in an attempt to get a respectable head but the puny head that did form dissipated very quickly, leaving only a spot in the middle and a thin head on the border. A touch of lacing is here.

Smell: White grapes are strongly present, reminding me of white wine. The honey bragged about on the bottle is here but slightly subdued and a spicy after-aroma fills the nostrils as well.

Taste: A wine-like dryness and honey sweetness are the upfront flavors. Seems like a touch of DMC at the very, very end. Something about this brew feels incomplete.

Mouthfeel:This is a good quality to the beer. Just above medium bodied, the beer coats the mouth well and suits the beer well. (758 characters)

Midas Touch from Dogfish Head Brewery