Midas Touch - Dogfish Head Brewery

good

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  9.00% ABV

This sweet yet dry beer is made with ingredients found in 2,700-year-old drinking vessels from the tomb of King Midas. Somewhere between wine and mead, Midas will please the chardonnay and beer drinker alike.

(Beer added by: purplehops on 10-31-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Midas Touch Alström Bros
3.6/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a tall thin glass.

Pours with two fingers of white fluffy head over a luminescent gold crystal clear body. Great lacing. An astounding amount of small and medium bubbles are rising to replenish the head. Wonderful showing. If ever a beer looked like a golden elixir this is it. Just fantastic bubbles and color. Maybe the Saffron aided in this beautiful gold?

Has the nose of an imperial pilsner, with noble hop twang and lots of singular clean malts. Subtle notes of vanilla, but nothing that indicates this is a herbed/spiced beer. If I had not seen the bottle I would be thinking at this point that this was a pilsner or imperial lager.

Upon first taste I get something very much like a imperial pilsner with honey added. Tastes sweeter than almost any non-fruit beer I have ever had. Mingling with this honey-sweet is some noticeable alcohol, but it is just hidden enough to not detract. This could be even better if it were either lower ABV or the alcohol was more hidden. Never too sweet, which is an accomplishment because this is pretty sweet and sugary.

Feels distinctly of honey in the aftertaste. I can not liken it to anything but honey, and if you have never eaten straight honey before you should so that you know what I am talking about. Interesting. Otherwise this is a medium bodied beer with a fine texture and pleasing washing affect.

Good drinkability as it is, but could be amazing if it were lower ABV or the alcohol was more hidden.

Conslusion: An interesting beer for sure, and not a bad one at that. I can find no fault except the higher ABV, but as this may be a bonus to some, I will not detract any points for it. I don't taste the other ingredients listed on the label, only honey. I do taste something else I think, but I can't put a finger on it. Good job once again Dogfish Head...

allforbetterbeer, Sep 29, 2010

AMCPhD, May 18, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +20.6%

John_Beeryman, Jul 22, 2014
4.33/5  rDev +16.1%

Appearance: A crystal-clear golden-amber body with less than a finger of bubbly, off-white head that burns out pretty quickly and leaves little lacing.

Aroma: A fruity, floral, perfumy, spicy, and sweet mix. Very unique.

Taste: Crisp and dry with lots of grape, making it almost wine-like at times. Underneath there's a light malt backbone with mild accents of honey shining through to ground it all. There's something vaguely chocolaty towards the finish, but I can't quite put my finger on it. Alcohol is there, but masked rather effectively. The aftertaste is grapey and mildly malty. My wife described it as replacing "all the bad things about wine with all the good things about beer." Your mileage may vary.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with fine carbonation and a dry finish. Some alcohol burn in the mouth, but not too much.

Drinkability: The only thing really holding it back is the alcohol content; a quaffable ancient brew.

Verdict: To be perfectly honest, I liked this beer before I ever opened a bottle; the concept of time travel in a bottle is pure brilliance. Now that I've finally got my hands on some tasted it, I'm delighted to find that the beer itself is actually complex and quite enjoyable.

BeanBone, Jul 25, 2009
3.78/5  rDev +1.3%

12 oz bottle.
Pours out a clear, dark honey color with a thin barleywine type head, sheet lacing, and alcohol legs running down the glass.
Aroma is sweet, malty, grapey, alcoholic. Flavor is sweet& tart (lemony), mildly acidic. Picking up some honey as it warms.
Finish is long and lemony sweet. Tasty Can't drink more than one in a sitting tho.

Padron4KM, Sep 24, 2005
3.98/5  rDev +6.7%

Poured into a pint glass.

Pours a golden honey colored brew that is slightly hazy with a bright white finger thick head that is reduced to a nice wispy layer.

Smells of honey, grapes some yeast and herbal, earthy hops.

Tastes interesting. There is a pronounced spiciness up front with this brew that may be off putting to some (not me however) - white grapes, and there is some honey in the back with some hop bitterness. Dry finish.

Medium, leaves a coating on the tongue. Carbonation is good.

This is a different brew - not in a bad way. Easily one of the best of the style that I've had. I actually could session this. Caseworthy - although the abv and initial taste (let it warm) may leave more for me if I'm sharing...giggity, giggity...

ujsplace, Dec 17, 2010
4.2/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Tried this on the recommendation of bamadog. The price was a little steep for a single ($4.50) but this was definately an interesting brew that I'm happy to have tried.

A - I got really excited on the pour as it looked like golden sauce coming out of the glass. No real head to speak of here but some decent lacing in the glass

S - Grapes came through for me but I couldn't detect the saffron. It honestly smells like wine to me.

T - Very unique with the saffron coming in along with the grapes. Definately muted sweet tones but not a whole lot of bitter. Nice.

M - Low carbonation

D - Could drink more than one but I'm not sure that I'd choose to spend a night with this brew.

All in all, I was impressed with this beer and glad that I tried it.

beerman207, Apr 02, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +18.8%

Poured from the bottle into a goblet. Served slightly below cellar temperature. Yes, I know that wouldn't have been "historically accurate", but then again, neither is filtered beer. I also doubt the original brew was 9% ABV.

Nice golden amber color. It has little head, but I didn't expect one. It does manage to keep a little bubbly ring around the glass.

Smells nice and sweet. I can pick out the grapes and the saffron first. The honey and barley come next. Great smell.

The taste is more of the smell. The grapes and honey are first with a little saffron. Barley finishes and is much more prevalent than in the nose. There is a sweet white wine aftertaste that lingers nicely. Some alcohol is present every few sips.

In the mouth it is almost as light as a white wine, but with beer carbonation.

This beer is very drinkable, especially on a warm day. I have had this one before and will continue to treat myself to a bottle every now and then.

RomaniIteDomum, Sep 06, 2009

kidzord, May 07, 2013
3.35/5  rDev -10.2%

TheWiredDJ, Monday at 06:20 PM
4.5/5  rDev +20.6%

BigRedDog, Jul 24, 2014
3.78/5  rDev +1.3%

A: Pale copper in color and very clear. There are a ton of bubbles flowing up through this brew. Not too much of a head and not too much retention.

S: Grapes are the primary scent. Not too much aroma. You really have to look for the aromas with this one because of the weakness of the scent.

T: Very different. Taste like a mix of wine and beer. delicate flavor, but mostly taste like white wine. I can't really tell what kind of malt is being used but there is a general malt presence. I can't taste any of the honey mentioned on the label.

M: light and crisp. Very nice tingling on the tongue from the carbonation.

D: I have to give it to DFH, I think this is one of the coolest things ever done in brewing. I'm not too much of a wine drinker so this isn't my favorite, but it is full of flavor and well balanced. This is a great brew to try atleast once.

Avagadro, Feb 09, 2007
3.93/5  rDev +5.4%

A: pours a rich, clear, ruddy red-brown color; head is foamy and white, about 2 fingers thick and dissipating quickly; sits at about a 1/3 finger thickness with a decent amount of lacing

S: honey and spices are prevalent, mirroring the description of ancient beers mentioned on the beer label; saffron is here, as well as a heavy honey aroma

T: very comparable to the aromas; heavy honey sweetness and saffron spices mix well; a touch of bitterness also present, though i'm not sure where from, since no hops were used during the brewing process

M: smooth, medium body; coats the tongue well, but the bitter notes almost make this beer almost crisp and refreshing

D: smoothness allows this brew to go down easily; not too heavy; sweetness keeps it from being session-worthy, but overall a great beer to drink

boudreaux, Feb 26, 2011

Loco_Joe, Mar 16, 2014
4.25/5  rDev +13.9%

Sir_Goatman, Mar 17, 2014
3.98/5  rDev +6.7%

Orange in color with little head and a lot of carbonation. You can definitely taste the muscat grapes they use in here and not much else. For what it is, I really enjoyed it as a beverage. The only reason I would dock it points is if I knew there were going after a certain style and did not follow specs. Very interesting and worth a try, especially if you enjoy dessert wines.

jreitman, Aug 25, 2002
4.38/5  rDev +17.4%

This is a sipping beer, or a pairing-with-food beer, not a drinking beer as we tend to understand it on this site, but it's a pretty great beer for those occasions.

The nose is very wine or mead-like, with white grapes and honey. I didn't have a great experience with my last honey beer, so I was nervous, but there was no need--the mouthfeel is sugary but without being syrupy, the alcohol must give a warming effect, and the taste blends nicely overall. The malt must soften the sweetness and the alcohol content. I catch a little bit of spice--is it the saffron? I'm not sure--but overall this really reminds me of a warmer friendlier beer-ier champagne.

I would definitely drink it again.

lstokes, Jun 18, 2009