Join our email list →

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States | website

Herbed / Spiced Beer | 9.00% ABV

Beer added by: purplehops on 10-31-2001

This sweet yet dry beer is made with ingredients found in 2,700-year-old drinking vessels from the tomb of King Midas. Somewhere between wine and mead, Midas will please the chardonnay and beer drinker alike.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Midas Touch Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,611 | Hads: 4,613
4.07/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I'm not really a lighter beer guy. I like darker beers in general, ales, stouts and especially good porters, but the description card at BevMo was interesting so I gave this one a go.

Appearance was average. It's a really light beer. It had a decent head on it.

For the beer itself, what a unique twist. It's somewhat sweet, and has a lot of flavor in it, though still really mild. It's not what I usually expect when I see a light beer in a glass (prepare to be bored!). I have a hard time explaining this. I've never really had anything else like this. It's almost like the desert wine of beer, but only about a 10th of the sweetness from a desert wine.

I usually drink 1, maybe 2 beers in given evening if my fridge do not runneth barren. I could easily drink through all 4 that come in the pack at the store if the price tag were not such an obstacle. I think these ran $12.99 for a four pack.

I've also tried the 60 minute IPA from DogFish (I thought it seemed good for what it was, but IPAs are one of the few beers I am still working on acquiring a taste for). It was pretty good, though, which help influence me to grab this one. I am happy I did. I will definitely be buying this again.

3.8/5  rDev +2.2%

First glance, looks like just another golden ale. However, this beer is great because of the fruity after taste that sticks around.

A: Golden Ale, very minor head

T: Subtle notes of grapes and strawberries.

Finish is memorable as the beer's viscosity is more similar to a dark Belgium than a light ale.

Overall, very good brew.

3.5/5  rDev -5.9%

A - Honey colored, with a small foam on top and a few bubbles.

S - Very strong, fruity smell. Smells like wine, very little hint of anything beer-y.

T - Not exactly my thing, but pleasant enough. Sweet with lot of honey and some smokiness that comes through.

M - Medium carbonation, so not a huge impression here.

D - For me, I can see having at most, maybe two in a sitting. Like I said, not exactly my thing, but nice for a change.

3.86/5  rDev +3.8%

My introduction to alcohol came in my mid-twenties and through wine, as heretical as that may be to admit on this site, so I'm a late-comer to beer. I left both beer and wine for a considerable time to explore/abuse the fineries(ABV) of scotch, so when I came back to beer and wine, and found The Midas Touch, a marriage of both to some extent, I thought that I'd found perhaps the one beverage to satisfy both needs. Not quite, but very enjoyable just the same.

The alcohol is relatively high, but it certainly doesn't overwhelm the flavor spectrum, which is a well executed balance between the sweetness of a dry dessert wine, and the robust character of a refreshing ale. The safron is difficult to isolate on the tongue, as the beer is nowhere approaching bitter. Perhaps it simply looks good on an ingredient list. The carbonation is just right, and looks good in a glass. If you are in the mood for a beer, drink a traditional beer, as this is rightly considered a hybrid. If you are in the mood for a unique beer, and appreciate wine, then this may be for you.

I always enjoy drinking this beer, but would never spoil the experience by having two consecutively. Not because of the relatively high ABV, but simply because I don't think I would enjoy the unique flavor of the Midas Touch tripping on its own heels. Plus, the romance of drinking a beer of "antiquity" would certainly diminish if it became too familiar. As a tale, the Midas Touch is cautionary; so don't be too greedy: Enjoy, but one at a time.

3.85/5  rDev +3.5%

I like this one. Coming from Dogfish I expected a little more, then again it's an ancient ale... moving on.

A: Pours a golden clear with a moderate 1/2 finger head. Light lacing.

S: Earthy, maybe a little grape skin.

T: Honey comes out first, a little bit of apple or pear in the middle. Subtle hint of saffron on the finish.

M: Light with mild carbonation.

D: For me, it's a one bottle session. Can't really see myself drinking one after another. Still, a good brew!

4.17/5  rDev +12.1%

A - poured a clear, orange w/carmel tints, 2 inch frothy head, reminds me of a filtered wheat beer

S - wheaty, buttery, lemon zest, hint of pepper, dank

T - winey (from the grapes I imagine), sweet, spices, wheat, cereal

M - mild alcohol warming, adequate carbonation, almost no hop bite present, very pleasant slightly buttery aftertaste

D - almost a borderline sessionable brew if a little less sweeter, all in all a very flavorful imaginative creation that I wouldn't hesitate having again

3.92/5  rDev +5.4%

Serving Type: bottle poured into clear glass beer mug

Appearance: as gold as midas's urine. white foamy head. lacing after head dissipates. some carbonation.

Smell: spicy fruity smell. maybe a hint of honey sweetness.

Taste: malty and spicy with an alcoholic burn.

Mouthfeel: burns the tongue and throat slightly. a pleasant acoholic burn. some carbonation and medium bodied.

Overall: not a bad beer. good for sipping. very pleasant fruity malty aftertaste.

3.43/5  rDev -7.8%

The smell really intrigued me, kind of like mead with a little bit grape and malt way in the back. I could have used a lot more hop in this beer, it was kind of sweet and almost bland. All the same, the grape and honey part was really interesting because you could actually taste that aspect, so I want to give them credit for at least that unique aspect, although it is probably my least favorite Dogfish Head beer. I also tried it on tap at Howie & Sons a few weeks later and it tasted a little less sweet with the extra carbonation, but it just didn't change my mind. The batches varied alot it seems to me...

3.25/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

I bought a four pack of this and it's one of those beers where if it came in more than a four pack it just wouldn't sell. Midas Touch isn't a bad beer, it's just a really, really unique sort of thing that is fun to try but not to drink. I tried keeping in mind that the recipe is like 3000 years old and that the concept of the beer is great but the application is iffy.

Pours fine, golden, hazy, small head if any, but the smell is where it went wrong for me. The sweetness from the honey is just overwhelming and there are just sweets laced everywhere, sweet hops and sweet spices and LOTS OF HONEY, small traces of white wine.

Tastes like that too, a very sweet brew that is overpowered by the honey and coreander, doesn't really allow the fullness of the grape to peer through although the aftertaste is laden with the flavors missing from the initial, just a great sort of expermental that was too dependant on the honey.

3.3/5  rDev -11.3%

Poured out of a 12-oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Slightly hazy, golden/orange color. Very light. Slight white head, mostly around the edges but bits of lacing in the middle of the glass.

I can smell a little bit of honey, but mostly it's a huge hit of muscat grape aroma. Sweet.

Tastes pretty boozy, with a little bit of light malt after I swallowed. Quite sweet, not really bitter at all. A little one dimensional.

Medium-bodied, smooth, nice amount of carbonation but not enough to be sharp.

Drinkability isn't bad, considering the high ABV. It would probably be a good beer for people who hate hops.

Overall, I'm not a huge fan of this. It's a little boring.

4.23/5  rDev +13.7%

Appearance: Golden yellow in appearance and looks very carbonated. Had a quickly dissipating half-inch white head poured into a standard pint glass.

Smell: Smells sweet, like grapes, alcohol, and slightly woody.

Taste: Pale malts hit you up front. There seems to be sweetness left over from the grapes and honey with a bit of spice from the saffron. Crisp, clean, tastes like some of the bocks I have had. A well constructed brew. Complex, yet simple. Sweet, yet sophisticated. Alcohol is well hidden for 9% abv and the lightness of the style.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body, with a fairly a somewhat dry finish.

Drinkability: I'm not a wine drinker, but you could probably pair this with anything you would pair with white wine. It'd be interesting to cook with for sure. A very drinkable brew in my opinion, but you probably won't be slugging one after another. Sip and savor this one, it grows on you. Try this one out if you get the chance.

2.82/5  rDev -24.2%

Be warned: It's very sweet.

It smells rancid and doesn't taste much better, though the finish is solid.

I'm a big fan of the Dogfish Head Palo Santo Marron, 90 Minute IPA and Punkin Ale, but Midas Touch is a few tiers below those three for me.

It's cool that they resurrected something ancient that tastes like a lightly carbonated white wine. But I'm not sure why they've chosen to brew this year-round.

3.65/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

A- Pours a very beautiful golden color with an attractive, moderate sized head.

S- One of the best qualities of this beer in my opinion. Smells strongly of honey, and the saffron is also apparent.

T- Tastes... different. This is where the history of this beer becomes apparent. While it weighs in at a fairly hefty 9% ABV, the alcohol taste is surprisingly well hidden by the complexity of the brew. Tastes mostly of grapes; very winy, though not in a bad way.

M- Good mouthfeel. Slightly sticky and definitely heavier than most.

D- This is where this otherwise great beer suffers. It is simply too complex to drink more than one (maybe, MAYBE two) in sitting.

O- Overall, this is a great beer. It definitely opens your eyes to the evolution of beer from the nearly 2,700 year old recipe to the beer we normally consume today.

4.55/5  rDev +22.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Just had this on tap for the first time and it's even better than the bottled version. Midas has such complex flavors that just tickle every single taste bud. It goes down smooth and leaves a pleasant aftertaste on the tongue. If you see this on draft - GET IT

3.95/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 2 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Bottled 12/18/2012- this held up well. A bit cloudy, chunky, but didn't detract from the taste. Dark Amber hue. Smells like champagne, pronounced grapes and a hint of honey. A very winey brew.

4.16/5  rDev +11.8%

Served on-tap and into a snifter glass.

A: Light golden hue, very minimal carbonation with a very light head.

S: The first thing that hits me is a strong grape like character with a hint of sweet honey and saffron.

T: Very smooth and wine-like. The grape and honey hits you right off the bat and then the buttery alcohol taste sets in a bit after along with the light spiciness of the saffron. The after taste is almost pure grape and honey.

M: Very light and wine-like as mentioned above.

O: Interesting beer. The wine-like characteristics really make this brew special.

4.2/5  rDev +12.9%

This beer has a sweet/spicy smell that I assume is the saffron.

The taste is very complex. The best I can do is break it down into the following categories:
-Fruit: Grape or Raisin
-Butterscotch
-Alcohol: present but not strong
-Spice: Clove-like or Saffron
-Grain: This seems to be the most dominate flavor
-Malt: Caramel to Liquorish sweet
-No Hop bitterness
All of these flavors are present in almost equal amounts. With each sip you can detect one and then the other. By the time you see how many you can detect the beer is gone.

3.75/5  rDev +0.8%

A - "golden" brilliance. It looks thicker than it is. Head was one finger and went down quick leaving a bit of lace.

S - Grapes. A nice strong whiff of red ripe grapes.

T - It does not taste as "grapey" as it smells yet it has strong notes of it. It tastes like a mix of grapes and figs. The flavors perfectly conceal the alcohol at 9%. Great balance.

M - Real tingly on the back of the tongue. It slides right on through the rest of the mouth.

D - It drinks smooth. It goes down easy with no taste of alcohol.

3.73/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

I picked this up in a 12 oz. bottle, bottled on 4/23/12. Poured into a large wine glass.

A: Light foamy head, dissipating quickly. Gorgeous lacing remains throughout. Rich amber color, catching the light quite nicely. This is an attractive beer, I must say.

S: The aroma is certainly fruity. Barley is evident, some sweetness, and an underlying earthiness just beneath the more dominant elements. When I say dominant, however, I do not mean that any of these are knocking you off your feet or assaulting your senses; it's kind of laid back and balanced, but not to the overall detriment of the nose. It doesn't feel weak or lacking, but it's not especially assertive.

T: There's a great deal of sweetness to the taste, as expected from the smell - possibly even more, however. Honey sweet, and grape are the dominant tastes, and that's a little too sweet for my tastes. There is a nice, slightly grainy finish, but the honey taste overstays its welcome a bit, lingering on the palate a bit too long.

M: Crisp would be the first word that comes to mind describing this. This is very drinkable, easy to throw back, but with a lingering slightly syrupy feel as the honey sticks around.

O: This isn't a bad brew by any stretch of the imagination, but I don't imagine actively seeking it out beyond just a single bottle in the future, just for something a little different. The sweetness I find a bit overwhelming - I've never had much of a sweet tooth - but I could see a lot of people really getting down with this brew.

2.61/5  rDev -29.8%

When I had this on draft at the brewpub in Rehobeth it was really tasty to the point that I felt compelled to buy two, four packs to take home.

Somewhere between Delaware and PA, either my taste buds went south or the bottled version is different from the draft version. Out of the bottle this beer is way too sweet, and I like sweeter beers. I also like a little bitterness to the beer. At the brewpub I wasn't blown away by sweetness but by balance. In the bottled version it had none.

Unless you like the taste of sweet wine mixed with beer you might want to skip this one. As many other reviewers have noted, kudos to DFH for innovation but I'll stick to their IPA's in the future.

3.81/5  rDev +2.4%

A - Golden and clear. It has a beautiful lack of turbidity, and a nice white head.

S - Less aroma than I expected. I didn't pick up much from this. But I was a little tipsy.

T - A yummy sweetness with herbal notes. Very minor herbal notes. It was extremely characteristic hops. Sweet but bitter.

M - Crisp but not exactly light. Had a good body and attacked multiple portions of the tongue.

D - Too sweet for too many, but a very good single beer.

4.15/5  rDev +11.6%

Given to me as a "tip" at work one night. Poured a beautiful rich amber color. Heady aromas of sweet spice and hops. The flavor was not as exotic and complex as I was expecting, but it was pleasant enough. I don't think I'd kick down the $13 for a 4-pack, but I'd like to try it again sometime.

3.65/5  rDev -1.9%

12 oz bottle poured into signature Dogfish Head Glass.

Appearance - Light orange/yellow color with a bit of an off white colored head. Seems to have a good amount of carbonation coming from the bottom of the glass.

Aroma - Smells fairly strong of spices and wheat. There is a hint of some fruity notes as well.

Taste - I get a taste some some spices, maybe nutmeg and cinnamon? In either case it brings together a nice herbal spice. Throughout the middle there is a pronounced sweetness from maybe honey and the muscat grapes really come through bringing out the wine characteristic I was looking forward to tasting. It finished very earthy tasting.

Mouthfeel: Medium to heavy feel with a good amount of carbonation throughout. It needed this to hold up with the strong flavors of the beer.

Drinkability: Definitely a sipper beer. Should be drank like wine, but it definitely can go down smooth and often. Every Dogfish head fan should give this beer a try. Reminded me of a spiced up hef in some regards.

1.66/5  rDev -55.4%

A- Nothing special on the pour. Decent golden color, some foam, not much retention.

S- Spicy, but not in a good way. More like pungent. Grape smell dominates. I don't think this beer is for me.

T- Putrid. Really very bad. The grape flavor dominates, and to me it tastes more like fake grape flavoring.

M- OK mouthfeel, fairly smooth, but nothing special.

This beer probably seemed like a good idea, but I thought it was really awful. I couldn't even finish it.

4.17/5  rDev +12.1%

A A nice late afternoon golden color with a ring of lacing that stays to the finish.

S Sweet smelling, obviously made by bees. Seriously, does smell a bit like mead and honeysuckle.

T The first sip was a bit of a shock as I am not accustomed to this style but transitioned to a pleasant experience about midway through the glass. I'm curious as to the amount of honey used with the malt as it has a strong but not overbearing presence. Appropriately balanced with a homemade wine taste as well. Not sure of the secret herbs but nicely done nonetheless!

M Nice and malty. It has a little weight to it unlike a rice brew. Good carbonation.

D Drank my first at a wake for a friend. Mixed crowd. Bunch of bikers and Presbyterians. Bikers tend toward Bud/Bush while we Puritans go for the craft brewed stuff like our fore-bearers across the way. Providentially, as the good was all but gone, a fellow from my church brought in a four pack of this stuff. Just in time as I almost drank a Bush. Whew!
I'll drink the other three for sure. It's good stuff but with so many other choices...

Midas Touch from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery