Midas Touch - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: purplehops on 10-31-2001

This sweet yet dry beer is made with ingredients found in 2,700-year-old drinking vessels from the tomb of King Midas. Somewhere between wine and mead, Midas will please the chardonnay and beer drinker alike.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 4,381 | Reviews: 1,590
4.05/5  rDev +8.6%

A: Poured from tap a great golden hue with a firm cap which disapates rather quickly.

S: Sweet from the malts and a touch of honey with a hint of something rare and indiscribable.

T: Hits the tongue with a sweet and silky touch.

M: Medium bodied and great carb level.

O: Would definitly drink this one again Sadly have had this in a bottle before and was not as good.

Thanks Sam.

4.03/5  rDev +8%

Appearance- golden color with thin white lacing that stays for a while on the glass, very beautiful nice bubbles stream slowly up the glass,

Smell- very nice nose of sweetness, honey, malt, and slight grapes,

Taste- very unique beer in taste, starts of with what you would think of being more sweet but ends in a very drying way, the spices pull things into check, do get a little bit of the honey and maybe touch of the grapes, very unique interesting flavor profile, and very balanced,

Mouthfeel- medium bodied with very light carbonation, has a very nice slick feel on the mouth,

Drinkability/overall- this beer was very easy to drink as the 9 percent was really not noticeable at all, reminded me of most closely the noble rot I had recently tried but not quite as winy and lacking that tartness, I overall enjoyed this beer and think I would visit it again I would say the biggest surprise for me was the balance as I think I expected sweeter beer, interesting beer and really great story behind worth the shot and experience

3.69/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A - Golden amber.

S - Bready-honey-lagery.

T - Like a honey semi-sweet buttery bread. Honestly can't taste the wine grapes but maybe my palate isn't sophisticated enough.

M - Not much carbonation. Malty dryness mixed with the sweet. Not my favorite.

O - I wanted to love this beer. After reading "Sacred and Herbal Healing Beers" I was very happy to remember this beer by Dogfish head and get a chance to experience an old recipe. Honestly it underwhelmed me. I'm glad a tried it, though. Not something I would buy again considering the price, but I admire Dogfish Head for putting this out.

3.05/5  rDev -18.2%

Appears like a flat Belgian pale strong, so below average carbonation, but does manage to pop a small 2 mm head that quickly settles down to filmy lacing. Clear and an orange the color of pumpkin guts. No yeast in the bottle and that coupled with flavor compounds of the grapes and spices means to me don't bother aging this one despite the high alcohol.

Fruity reminiscent of grape, yet more than that. Gets into some pineapple and white wine aromas. A little bit of butter and banana like esters from the yeast. Saffron? I don't smell any, but then again I have no idea what to expect so perhaps I am missing it.

Soft and velvety...and that's the flavor I'm talking about. Alcohol is drying and sharp, not hot, and is balanced fairly well. Hops are secondary in that they support the flavor nd I think I detect some delicate, floral, spicy Eastern Euro type hop, or a mellow equivalent thereof. Vinous, sweet and bitter, what begins as a sip of flowers and wine regresses to straw and Franzia white wine as it warms.

So dry that the top of my tongue is tingling.

Meh. The first sip was great, no joke, but it just degrades with every warmer sip as each change in degree brings out the alcohol more and more. They must have used a crap load of honey to clear this one up so much. Were any specialty grains used at all? Am I tasting saffron? Is it really worth trying to taste for?

3.52/5  rDev -5.6%

A- Bright golden yellow. Totally transparent. Head is white-1 finger and fades quickly. Lacing is minimal

S- White grapes and sweet apples.

T- Honey, white grapes again, ginger, very sugary and syrupy. Alcohol hits you in the aftertaste. I am from Tennessee, so this reminds me alot of sweet muscadine wine.

M- Very mild carbonation. Very syrupy. "Elixir" perfectly nails it.

D- No way I can drink a lot of this one. Too sweet and syrupy for my taste. This one will do it for me. Maybe another day though...

3.23/5  rDev -13.4%

Twelve ounce bottle into bicentennial Mason jar.

A: Orange-gold. A beauty of a body with a two finger head on pour that dwindles down to next to nothing. Bits of lace on tip, but hardly any sticks to the glass.

S: Reminds me of the sweet wines fermented by Oliver Winery. Honey and white grape with a bit of booziness in the back ground. Saffron and nectar.

T: I hate to say this but it is kind of like a bad white wine. An overtly sweet Chardonnay. Strange saffron-dry finish. I love Sam Calagione but this brew isn't his finest in my opinion. But still worth a try. It may fit your buds better than mine.

M: Medium-light body.

D: This brew actually doesn't gain character as it sits in your glass. Its best quaffed quickly. The story behind the beer is better than the brew.

4.03/5  rDev +8%

A- Brilliantly clear gold with small white head.

A- Grapes, almost a wine-like smell. As it warms up the grapes and vinous aromas don't take center stage. I noticed a slightly grainy malt aroma as well as honey.

T- When this beer lands on my tongue it does not taste like beer initially. Initially a honey grape taste followed by slightly grainy malt taste.

M- Medium body with moderate high carbonation. The carbonations was enjoyable to look at in this brilliantly clear brew.

D- Interesting sweet beer. I enjoyed it. It's not exactly a session beer, but something that should be experienced at least once. I'd have another or consider cloning this.

4.48/5  rDev +20.1%

Pours amber red, I definitely see the saffron influence here. Head make the hssss of soda and quickly disappears to nothing. Very disappointing.

Smell is a complexity of light hops mead and a very slight hint of grape character. Very interesting and complex.

Flavor is also quite complex. Spicy and mead sweet. Not alot of grape character here, though this beer is very tasty.

Slick mouth, which I associate with a nice mead.

Nice and flavorful and very drinkable. A good beer, but a bit pricey at $3/bottle.

3.75/5  rDev +0.5%

A - Copper in color. The one inch of head goes away pretty quick.

S - The grape comes through first followed by alcohol. Seems like another faint smell in the distant background of honey or malt.

T - Complex. This one is interesting. Malt comes through a little more in the taste with pretty strong grape and alcohol flavors taking the forefront. Finishing the flavor profile is a little honey.

M - Really light considering the strength of the beer. Impressive.

D - The complex flavors and light mouthfeel really worked for me. Goes down pretty easy.

4.25/5  rDev +13.9%

3.75/5  rDev +0.5%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Midas Touch from Dogfish Head Brewery