Midas Touch - Dogfish Head Brewery

good

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  9.00% ABV

This sweet yet dry beer is made with ingredients found in 2,700-year-old drinking vessels from the tomb of King Midas. Somewhere between wine and mead, Midas will please the chardonnay and beer drinker alike.

(Beer added by: purplehops on 10-31-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Midas Touch Alström Bros
4.2/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Tried this on the recommendation of bamadog. The price was a little steep for a single ($4.50) but this was definately an interesting brew that I'm happy to have tried.

A - I got really excited on the pour as it looked like golden sauce coming out of the glass. No real head to speak of here but some decent lacing in the glass

S - Grapes came through for me but I couldn't detect the saffron. It honestly smells like wine to me.

T - Very unique with the saffron coming in along with the grapes. Definately muted sweet tones but not a whole lot of bitter. Nice.

M - Low carbonation

D - Could drink more than one but I'm not sure that I'd choose to spend a night with this brew.

All in all, I was impressed with this beer and glad that I tried it.

beerman207, Apr 02, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +18.8%

Poured from the bottle into a goblet. Served slightly below cellar temperature. Yes, I know that wouldn't have been "historically accurate", but then again, neither is filtered beer. I also doubt the original brew was 9% ABV.

Nice golden amber color. It has little head, but I didn't expect one. It does manage to keep a little bubbly ring around the glass.

Smells nice and sweet. I can pick out the grapes and the saffron first. The honey and barley come next. Great smell.

The taste is more of the smell. The grapes and honey are first with a little saffron. Barley finishes and is much more prevalent than in the nose. There is a sweet white wine aftertaste that lingers nicely. Some alcohol is present every few sips.

In the mouth it is almost as light as a white wine, but with beer carbonation.

This beer is very drinkable, especially on a warm day. I have had this one before and will continue to treat myself to a bottle every now and then.

RomaniIteDomum, Sep 06, 2009

kidzord, May 07, 2013
3.35/5  rDev -10.2%

TheWiredDJ, Monday at 06:20 PM
3.78/5  rDev +1.3%

A: Pale copper in color and very clear. There are a ton of bubbles flowing up through this brew. Not too much of a head and not too much retention.

S: Grapes are the primary scent. Not too much aroma. You really have to look for the aromas with this one because of the weakness of the scent.

T: Very different. Taste like a mix of wine and beer. delicate flavor, but mostly taste like white wine. I can't really tell what kind of malt is being used but there is a general malt presence. I can't taste any of the honey mentioned on the label.

M: light and crisp. Very nice tingling on the tongue from the carbonation.

D: I have to give it to DFH, I think this is one of the coolest things ever done in brewing. I'm not too much of a wine drinker so this isn't my favorite, but it is full of flavor and well balanced. This is a great brew to try atleast once.

Avagadro, Feb 09, 2007
3.93/5  rDev +5.4%

A: pours a rich, clear, ruddy red-brown color; head is foamy and white, about 2 fingers thick and dissipating quickly; sits at about a 1/3 finger thickness with a decent amount of lacing

S: honey and spices are prevalent, mirroring the description of ancient beers mentioned on the beer label; saffron is here, as well as a heavy honey aroma

T: very comparable to the aromas; heavy honey sweetness and saffron spices mix well; a touch of bitterness also present, though i'm not sure where from, since no hops were used during the brewing process

M: smooth, medium body; coats the tongue well, but the bitter notes almost make this beer almost crisp and refreshing

D: smoothness allows this brew to go down easily; not too heavy; sweetness keeps it from being session-worthy, but overall a great beer to drink

boudreaux, Feb 26, 2011

Sir_Goatman, Mar 17, 2014
4.5/5  rDev +20.6%

John_Beeryman, Jul 22, 2014
3.98/5  rDev +6.7%

Orange in color with little head and a lot of carbonation. You can definitely taste the muscat grapes they use in here and not much else. For what it is, I really enjoyed it as a beverage. The only reason I would dock it points is if I knew there were going after a certain style and did not follow specs. Very interesting and worth a try, especially if you enjoy dessert wines.

jreitman, Aug 25, 2002

Ngntjp, Aug 24, 2014
4.38/5  rDev +17.4%

This is a sipping beer, or a pairing-with-food beer, not a drinking beer as we tend to understand it on this site, but it's a pretty great beer for those occasions.

The nose is very wine or mead-like, with white grapes and honey. I didn't have a great experience with my last honey beer, so I was nervous, but there was no need--the mouthfeel is sugary but without being syrupy, the alcohol must give a warming effect, and the taste blends nicely overall. The malt must soften the sweetness and the alcohol content. I catch a little bit of spice--is it the saffron? I'm not sure--but overall this really reminds me of a warmer friendlier beer-ier champagne.

I would definitely drink it again.

lstokes, Jun 18, 2009
3.65/5  rDev -2.1%

As many have said, this is an interesting beer. Pours clear and golden, not much head really. Smell at first was bland and somewhat "macro-ish," almost like a warm bud light. Then, upon closer inspection, there is a strong sweetness to it along with some spice. I cant say I necessarily smelt honey, but it was sweet. Taste is pretty good. A strong malt backbone, very sweet, along with some grape and more sweetness. It was almost like a white grape juice with some added suger. It wasnt bad though. Mouthfeel was light, at first sip it was very crisp but as it warmed, it thickened some. Overall not a bad beer. Well worth a try and very good for a style I'm not all that fond of. And the high ABV is not detectable at all IMO.

bunnyhustle, Mar 01, 2009

Blueribbon666, Jun 02, 2013

pcsnyder, May 07, 2013
3.78/5  rDev +1.3%

It is difficult to pigeon hole this beer in a specific style. It is interesting in that it has a little bit of everything. It has an orange gold color with a slight haze. The aroma is fruity, winey, perfumey and the saffron is evident. The body is coating, almost syruppy with some grape and malt character evident. It finishes with a slight spice. Not bad. It is different from anything that I have ever had. I'm not sure there are many occasions to drink this beer/mead/wine, but it is something that I'm glad I tried.

ark57, Mar 18, 2004