Midas Touch - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: purplehops on 10-31-2001

This sweet yet dry beer is made with ingredients found in 2,700-year-old drinking vessels from the tomb of King Midas. Somewhere between wine and mead, Midas will please the chardonnay and beer drinker alike.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Midas Touch Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,595 | Hads: 4,520
4.16/5  rDev +11.8%

Served on-tap and into a snifter glass.

A: Light golden hue, very minimal carbonation with a very light head.

S: The first thing that hits me is a strong grape like character with a hint of sweet honey and saffron.

T: Very smooth and wine-like. The grape and honey hits you right off the bat and then the buttery alcohol taste sets in a bit after along with the light spiciness of the saffron. The after taste is almost pure grape and honey.

M: Very light and wine-like as mentioned above.

O: Interesting beer. The wine-like characteristics really make this brew special. (581 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +12.9%

This beer has a sweet/spicy smell that I assume is the saffron.

The taste is very complex. The best I can do is break it down into the following categories:
-Fruit: Grape or Raisin
-Butterscotch
-Alcohol: present but not strong
-Spice: Clove-like or Saffron
-Grain: This seems to be the most dominate flavor
-Malt: Caramel to Liquorish sweet
-No Hop bitterness
All of these flavors are present in almost equal amounts. With each sip you can detect one and then the other. By the time you see how many you can detect the beer is gone. (534 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +0.8%

A - "golden" brilliance. It looks thicker than it is. Head was one finger and went down quick leaving a bit of lace.

S - Grapes. A nice strong whiff of red ripe grapes.

T - It does not taste as "grapey" as it smells yet it has strong notes of it. It tastes like a mix of grapes and figs. The flavors perfectly conceal the alcohol at 9%. Great balance.

M - Real tingly on the back of the tongue. It slides right on through the rest of the mouth.

D - It drinks smooth. It goes down easy with no taste of alcohol. (516 characters)

3.73/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

I picked this up in a 12 oz. bottle, bottled on 4/23/12. Poured into a large wine glass.

A: Light foamy head, dissipating quickly. Gorgeous lacing remains throughout. Rich amber color, catching the light quite nicely. This is an attractive beer, I must say.

S: The aroma is certainly fruity. Barley is evident, some sweetness, and an underlying earthiness just beneath the more dominant elements. When I say dominant, however, I do not mean that any of these are knocking you off your feet or assaulting your senses; it's kind of laid back and balanced, but not to the overall detriment of the nose. It doesn't feel weak or lacking, but it's not especially assertive.

T: There's a great deal of sweetness to the taste, as expected from the smell - possibly even more, however. Honey sweet, and grape are the dominant tastes, and that's a little too sweet for my tastes. There is a nice, slightly grainy finish, but the honey taste overstays its welcome a bit, lingering on the palate a bit too long.

M: Crisp would be the first word that comes to mind describing this. This is very drinkable, easy to throw back, but with a lingering slightly syrupy feel as the honey sticks around.

O: This isn't a bad brew by any stretch of the imagination, but I don't imagine actively seeking it out beyond just a single bottle in the future, just for something a little different. The sweetness I find a bit overwhelming - I've never had much of a sweet tooth - but I could see a lot of people really getting down with this brew. (1,522 characters)

2.61/5  rDev -29.8%

When I had this on draft at the brewpub in Rehobeth it was really tasty to the point that I felt compelled to buy two, four packs to take home.

Somewhere between Delaware and PA, either my taste buds went south or the bottled version is different from the draft version. Out of the bottle this beer is way too sweet, and I like sweeter beers. I also like a little bitterness to the beer. At the brewpub I wasn't blown away by sweetness but by balance. In the bottled version it had none.

Unless you like the taste of sweet wine mixed with beer you might want to skip this one. As many other reviewers have noted, kudos to DFH for innovation but I'll stick to their IPA's in the future. (691 characters)

3.81/5  rDev +2.4%

A - Golden and clear. It has a beautiful lack of turbidity, and a nice white head.

S - Less aroma than I expected. I didn't pick up much from this. But I was a little tipsy.

T - A yummy sweetness with herbal notes. Very minor herbal notes. It was extremely characteristic hops. Sweet but bitter.

M - Crisp but not exactly light. Had a good body and attacked multiple portions of the tongue.

D - Too sweet for too many, but a very good single beer. (451 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +11.6%

Given to me as a "tip" at work one night. Poured a beautiful rich amber color. Heady aromas of sweet spice and hops. The flavor was not as exotic and complex as I was expecting, but it was pleasant enough. I don't think I'd kick down the $13 for a 4-pack, but I'd like to try it again sometime. (294 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -1.9%

12 oz bottle poured into signature Dogfish Head Glass.

Appearance - Light orange/yellow color with a bit of an off white colored head. Seems to have a good amount of carbonation coming from the bottom of the glass.

Aroma - Smells fairly strong of spices and wheat. There is a hint of some fruity notes as well.

Taste - I get a taste some some spices, maybe nutmeg and cinnamon? In either case it brings together a nice herbal spice. Throughout the middle there is a pronounced sweetness from maybe honey and the muscat grapes really come through bringing out the wine characteristic I was looking forward to tasting. It finished very earthy tasting.

Mouthfeel: Medium to heavy feel with a good amount of carbonation throughout. It needed this to hold up with the strong flavors of the beer.

Drinkability: Definitely a sipper beer. Should be drank like wine, but it definitely can go down smooth and often. Every Dogfish head fan should give this beer a try. Reminded me of a spiced up hef in some regards. (1,010 characters)

1.66/5  rDev -55.4%

A- Nothing special on the pour. Decent golden color, some foam, not much retention.

S- Spicy, but not in a good way. More like pungent. Grape smell dominates. I don't think this beer is for me.

T- Putrid. Really very bad. The grape flavor dominates, and to me it tastes more like fake grape flavoring.

M- OK mouthfeel, fairly smooth, but nothing special.

This beer probably seemed like a good idea, but I thought it was really awful. I couldn't even finish it. (464 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 2 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Bottled 12/18/2012- this held up well. A bit cloudy, chunky, but didn't detract from the taste. Dark Amber hue. Smells like champagne, pronounced grapes and a hint of honey. A very winey brew. (196 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +12.1%

A A nice late afternoon golden color with a ring of lacing that stays to the finish.

S Sweet smelling, obviously made by bees. Seriously, does smell a bit like mead and honeysuckle.

T The first sip was a bit of a shock as I am not accustomed to this style but transitioned to a pleasant experience about midway through the glass. I'm curious as to the amount of honey used with the malt as it has a strong but not overbearing presence. Appropriately balanced with a homemade wine taste as well. Not sure of the secret herbs but nicely done nonetheless!

M Nice and malty. It has a little weight to it unlike a rice brew. Good carbonation.

D Drank my first at a wake for a friend. Mixed crowd. Bunch of bikers and Presbyterians. Bikers tend toward Bud/Bush while we Puritans go for the craft brewed stuff like our fore-bearers across the way. Providentially, as the good was all but gone, a fellow from my church brought in a four pack of this stuff. Just in time as I almost drank a Bush. Whew!
I'll drink the other three for sure. It's good stuff but with so many other choices... (1,085 characters)

3.47/5  rDev -6.7%

12oz Bottle into Snifter

A - Pours a very clear golden amber. About a finger of off white head, which fades quickly. Slight lacing, but it doesn't stay on the glass for very long.

S - Sweet fruit scent. White grapes with a honey undertone.

T - Has a decent malt that starts this one off, but it is soon overwhelmed by a taste that is pretty much that of a white wine. Heavy on the white grape. Honey is present, but it seems to be there to just accentuate the sweetness.

M - A thin medium bodied beer. Fairly carbonated. A taste of white wine lingers.

D - This one could be fairly drinkable for the right person. If you know someone who loves white wines and you want to introduce them into the world of craft brewing, this might be a start. As for me, I am not a huge white wine fan, so this one just didn't do it for me. (827 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -10.5%

Poured a 12oz into a red wine glass.

A: Pours flat with a small head that disappears quickly. Nice amber hue.

S: Light and tangy with hints of grape, pepper and saffron.

T: Grape is dominant here. White wine blends with honey and a bit of sourness.

O: Good but not great. Worth trying but not an everyday drinker. (318 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a great beer, the colour is a clear golden. I was quite surprised that this was 9% alcohol, it goes down remarkably smooth. I defiantly get the hint of grape and honey. It leaves a bit of a bitter after taste, which I don't mind at all. The smell I got from it was a musty sweetness, reminds me of a white wine scent. I couldn't taste the saffron, but I could see it having some influence in the colour. (411 characters)

3.93/5  rDev +5.6%

Appearance- Poors lovely into a sniffer. Held up to the light the color is really special, amber honey gold with a velvety healthy head that sticks to the entire glass after the beer is gone.

Smell- A very good smell, but very faint in my experiance. After i let it set in a sniffer for a few minutes to colect the aroma I get strong honey and lite grass with a hint of ripe fruit.

Taste- A really special experiance. I'll be drinking more of this. Honey sweetness, barley malt and grape that lingers sweet. It's really a unique creation.

Mouthfeel- stong carbonation that is really a great counter to the silky smooth finish.

Overall- This is a fantastic beer to try, enjoy and enjoy again, and its pretty damn cheap too. go get some. (739 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -5.9%

A: Midas Touch is a clear, golden/light amber ale which retains a very low head.

S: The beer smells mostly (and strongly) of muscat grapes and wine.

T: The flavor is well rounded and complex, alternating between a mead, a wine, and a golden ale.

M: While not overly sweet or dry, mouthfeel for Midas Touch is closer to a wine than a beer.

O: A great beer, albeit one that is probably best drank with food or appreciated one at a time. It is not a session beer. Whatever you feel about mixing grapes, honey, and malted barley, it's definitely worth a taste. (560 characters)

3.94/5  rDev +5.9%

L: Yellow gold. Suspended particles give a medium cloudy look.
S: Honey, skunky lager.
T: Light honey, some skunk. Grape.
F: Crisp, a little acidic bite.
O: Interesting. Definitely worth a try. Pretend you're a Pharaoh. (221 characters)

3.84/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Surprisingly good. This is an odd beer that a person who doesn't like odd beer can probably enjoy.

Pours with below average head. Nice light golden color.

Smell is grapes with honey and flowers.

Tastes like fermented grapes with a nice light bouquet of flowers and some definite honey. Somewhat bizarre.

Overall this one of those strange beers new-age slash ancient beers which usually relegates it to the category of terrible, but Dogfish Head got this one right. (469 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +3%

The beer poured a clear golden color with a finger thick head that quickly dissipated into the liquid. The head did not leave much lacing around the glass, but that isn't very surprising. A good amount of carbonation is evident in the glass. The beer did not burst with powerful scents, however, it did have a nice faint aroma of white grapes, almost a chardonnay(ish) flavor, with a nice dose of a pale barley malt. The initial taste was one of dry honey notes, white grapes, and a nice bready backbone. A little further into the beer some notes of saffron come out in the beer. I was surprised at what a heavy body the beer had; I did not expect that such a light beer, in many respects, would drink so heavy. I think a lot of it had to do with the large amounts of honey added to the beer. Though heavy, it was not unappreciated. This one will creep up on you. Drink with caution. (883 characters)

3.91/5  rDev +5.1%

A - Rich, golden amber with a short head that dies out quickly. Carbonation is retained at the top of the beer in the way you'd expect the bubbles to appear at the top of a jar of honey, which makes a lot of sense. It gives the impression that you're drinking a syrupy-sweet liquid.

S - Faint, for all its herbage. But sweet. And you can definitely smell the saffron.

T - The honey sticks out to you right away and the saffron grabs you on the way down. The aftertaste from this beer is grand, and probably the best part of the drinking experience with this brew. Muscat grapes are definitely tucked away in there. It'd be nice to get a tad more flavor out of those.

M - Despite its syrupy looks, this beer is light and flowing with light carbonation that doesn't stick around too long. It's honestly one of the best mouthfeels in a beer that I've ever had. This definitely adds to the drinkability of this beer.

O - I've got to say, I was really surprised by this beer. The spiced beer category is incredibly vast, and I have had almost nothing but bad experiences with spiced ales, but I was more than pleasantly surprised by this beer. If it has one downside, it is that it might almost be too rich for me to have more than one glass at a time. That said, it is not bad by any means, and I applaud Dogfish Head for creating something incredibly unique. Props. (1,366 characters)

3.79/5  rDev +1.9%

Appearance: Nice purple label with a golden thumbprint. Pours with very little head; dissipates quickly. Color of deep golden straw. Not too clear.

Aroma: Dull sweet honey-like aroma. Smells like yeast cultured in mead. Mix of peach/plum/apricot notes. Pleasant.

Taste: Best tasted while sniffing through the nose. Unlike many other flavorful brews, the taste is dissimilar from aroma and complements it quite well. While the aroma is very wine- or honey wine-like the taste is that of beer; light and warm with alcohol; fresh baked bread.

Mouthfeel: Light in body showing a complete fermentation with strong yeast as evidenced by the 9.0 abv.

Overall: A fine brew. Descriptions on their website and elsewhere lead me to believe this brew would be a little more on the mead or wine side but it turned out to be very much a light bodied beer. Terrifyingly sessionable. Tasty but nothing to write home about. Taste is like a light-bodied lager in its refreshing character but the aroma lets you know how much effort those yeast and their masters put into it. Worth a try but be careful - few 9% beers are this easy too drink. (1,127 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -13.7%

Color: Light in color with minimal aroma to begin. The honey is the only scent I truly picked up.

Taste: There quite of few flavors to begin with and so many hitting the palate I am not sure what flavors I am really picking up. I mostly get honey and some grapiness(sp?) to begin. However, the more drinks i take the more the flavors work against each other. The grape and honey flavors are progressively dominant and less appealing. Despite the label describing saffron, I didn't get it at all.

Mouthfeel: There is definitely a strong alcohol content represented that, at times, take over the unique flavors as you progress through. However, the carbonation is right and runs smooth on the palate.

The best drink is the first( which is really good)and should be the last( the last isn't so good).

All in all, it's a fun beer to try but I am not sure I would pick it up again. If I were Midas a few thousand years ago, I might say this is incredible!!!....but then again, King Midas probably didn't have a choice. Your majesty, may I suggest a DFH 90min IPA? (1,064 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -23.1%

A - Poured 12 oz bottle into oversized wine glass. 1 finger of head that quickly diminishes, with a mute pink-orange color.

S - Smells of grapes and fruit. Does not smell like a beer, very wine-y.

T - Instantly can taste the Muscat Grapes. Very weird for a beer, slight sweet taste of honey. Very sweet, something that I'd drink as a dessert beer on a special occassion. Taste of grape throughout the whole palate. I don't pick up any Saffron whatsoever. Drank this one pretty quickly, and the 9% ABV sure does kick in, amidst being very hidden throughout the taste.

M - Very low carbonation, syrupy, laces to the glass.

O - This is a weird beer. Period. I don't even know what to classify it as. Overall the taste is too sweet for my liking and this is something I'd only have once or twice a year, if that. Regardless, you must try this beer to know what it tastes like. I think more carbonation would make this beer better, but other than that it's a beer of its own. (974 characters)

3.22/5  rDev -13.4%

Aroma: Grapes... white grapes... which is good b/c the label says it is made with white grapes. Unfortunately the grapes over power everything else and all I can smell are grapes. It reminds me of either white grape juice or a sweet white wine, which for me is a different smell coming from a beer.

Look: A light golden that is quite clear. The head is made of tiny bubbles and dissipates very quickly. The beer continues to bubble through the whole drink. Not much of a drink to look at, b/c it doesn't look like anything is in your glass ;)

Taste: Grapes. It is a sweet beer and the honey must help in this respect but I didn't taste/smell any of that honey, and would have to say the grapes are the prime reason for the sweetness (the white muscat is used for some sweet wines). The grapes also do a good job at hiding the ABV. The whole drink and aftertaste is dominated with the taste of white grape.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and light.

Conclusion: I enjoy Dogfish Head brews but this one is a toss up for me. Though I wouldn't refuse it (there was nothing bad about it), I wouldn't necessarily go back for it. Though I liked what they tried to do, I was expecting something a little more complex in taste but the white muscat grapes are just so over powering there is little complexity to the drink. Possibly brewing it with a different grape would change things? (1,375 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +29.6%

A - A rich golden color, with no head to speak of, but a light lace ringed my glass throughout.

S - Smell is faint, but with just a hint of the honey to come

T - Wow.

It comes on strong with sweetness that feels as though it's fast approaching cloying, but it never gets there. The grape jumps right out at you, and then immediately transitions to a taste of honey, but again, the flavor, and not the overbearing sweetness. It's hard to 'notice' the saffron, but it contributes to the warmth, and it would be most noticeable if it were missing.

As a bona-fide hophead, it first seemed to lack the bitterness I crave, but I soon found my old friend so well blended with the other notes that it was hiding in the the richness, instead of jumping out and slapping me in the face.

M - Though not seeming particularly carbonated as it laid in wait in my glass, as soon as it hit my mouth, it came alive with a crispy froth that was exciting from start to finish.

D - Deliciously easy to drink, but at its high ABV, it's TOO easy to drink, while out. On the upside, that nearly forces you to slow down and savor it. (1,115 characters)

Midas Touch from Dogfish Head Brewery