Liquor De Malt - Dogfish Head Brewery

good

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

American Malt Liquor |  7.00% ABV

The world's only bottle-conditioned malt liquor, Liquor de Malt is brewed with red, white and blue gourmet corns. These 40-ounce bottles come in a hand-stamped brown paper bag.

(Beer added by: Todd on 05-14-2004)
Reviews by beerinator:
3.85/5  rDev +5.8%

40 ounce bottle.

Appearance: crystal clear golden graham colored beer, poured with a decent head that went away kind of quickly, but the retention was good.

Aroma: Fruit and flowers. Apple caramel are some of the first flavors that come up. There seems to be a bit of spice alongside the floral aromas.

Taste: The mouthfeel is heavier than expected. The hop presence is very low. Fruit flavors come through with a bit of breadyness or cakeyness. The alcohol seems to push through the flavor. Sour apple seems to be the flavor of the day in this one.

Notes: This is the best malt liquor that I've ever had. Which means it's better than Colt 45 and Old English... This one is very drinkable, but the alcohol does seem to show though a little much in the end. It's difficult to fairly review this one. If I review by style, it should get something close to a 4 or a 4.5. I did the best I could by reviewing it by style as much as possible. Drinkable beer, but it's not something that I would drink forever. Another good Dogfish Experiment.

beerinator, Aug 24, 2005
3.55/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I was lucky enough to have the DFH rep pour me an 8oz sample from a 40 at the microfestivus festival in Roanoke,poured a deep,rich golden with a rather large white heade.Whoo the aroma could burn nose hair,I think lawnmowers could run on this stuff corn and intense grain alcohol.Flavors are quite potent up front the corn is very prevelant then it rounds into more of a spirit flavor vodka maybe?Very nice coating mouthfeel goes down easy put I wouldnt wanna drink to much it could be a headache waiting to happen.This isnt Mickeys thats for sure top notch for the style.

oberon, Aug 15, 2005

Pours from the 40oz bottle a hazy dark yellow/orange with some yeast floaties in suspension. A small white head that leaves some spotty patches hangs around. Aroma of sweet corn and light citrus notes. Slighty spicy as well, with fresh yeast. Interesting clove/pepper undertones. For a malt liquor this smells damn good!

First sip brings a crisp sweet corn maltiness. Light fruit tones with a nice yeasty flavor as well. Mellow peppery spiciness on the way down gives this brew an interesting twist. A smooth, tasty malt liquor that changes the way you look at the style overall.

Mouthfeel is quite nice, smooth and creamy with no alcohol apparent at all. Goes down pretty easily. Wow, a seriously good brew and something I'd like to drink every now and again. Cheers to DFH for taking a much maligned style and showing what can be done with it. The brown paper bag and traditional 40oz bottle with plastic screw cap seal the deal! Worth checking this one out boys and girls.

orbitalr0x, Jun 20, 2006
1.43/5  rDev -60.7%

Up until I tried Liquor De Malt, I had thought that Dogfish Head was infallible. I have no idea what happened here. I can only hope that I got a bad bottle.

So of course, as soon as I heard about this beer, I HAD to try it. Being a Dogfish Head product, I was certain it would be great. A good-tasting malt liquor? I was all over it, even for $7 per 40oz bottle.

As soon as the cap was cracked, it was bad news. NO HEAD WHATSOEVER. Pale pissy color like a macro lager. My shoulders sag.

Smell? Strangely absent. I guess some of the corn they used was slightly present, but I had to inhale hard. My hopes drop a little lower. I start to get worried.

Taste? THERE WAS NOTHING THERE! My friends I was sharing with this almost gagged as they drank it, but I just swallowed, waiting. Nothing happened. Maybe a very faint corn taste, but it was far in the background. I drank more and more of the 40oz bottle, hoping something was wrong with me, but no, it was the beer.

Between 5 people sharing this bottle, we still did not finish it. Do I need to say more? Not really, but I will. I honestly wish I (well, rather my friend who bought it) could get his $7 refunded. I sincerely hope that there was something wrong with the specific bottle we got. I can not imagine otherwise - that Dogfish Head thought this was suitable to release.

chOAKbarrell, Sep 26, 2005
3.85/5  rDev +5.8%

A clever idea, certainly not what I remember Colt 45 was like (thankfully). It was an amber color with a medium white head. It had a very sweet aroma. It tasted surprisingly smooth, sweet, a little hoppy. Not what I expected. A trifle light in the mouth. Drinkable, although next time I'll share the bottle.

lordofthewiens, Jul 06, 2006
3.7/5  rDev +1.6%

One of the treats at the tasting from the General Lafayette!

Poured a cloudy medium golden with a decent amount of head full of creamy, tiny bubbles. Very fresh scents, clean and light citrus. Fresh cut grass and sweetness. Highly carbinated with tonsa bubbles rising. Bit of bit from the carb, but then foamy smooth.

Lots of corn taste, highly malted, not very hoppy. Sweet, but not overpoweringly so. Leaves alot of flavor in your mouth. Decent drinkability, not too sweet and not too strong on the alcohol flavor. Surprisingly nice.

Sucha great marketing design, loving the plastic 40 w/the paper bag for it. I mean, it comes with freakin' instructions to bag and twist! Brings me back to my teen days of drinking in the woods with my buddies, but this is not like the crud from my youth thank god!

shapudding, Jul 28, 2004
3.98/5  rDev +9.3%

Presentation: Big brown 40oz bottle with a bottled in 04' freshness date. Nice long Pssst ... when I cracked the red plastic cap off. Awesome touch in the brown paper bag.

Appearance: Hazed bubbly tawny gold hue, decent head from the active carbonation. Great retention with a trail of lace.

Smell: Wicked solvent-like fusel alcohol (roses?), Jesus did someone drop a jigger of Mr. Boston Vodka in my mug? Light grainy malt and sweet corn in the back.

Taste & Mouth Feel: Viscous smoothness in a full body, perhaps the thickets malt liquor I have ever had. Layered sweetness from the corn, with a staunch grain character middle to end. Juicy in the middle as well. Touch of yeast and spicy warming alcohol in the end. Lots of alcohol on the breath … almost too hard to swallow yet unlike other malt liquors this one has a good flavor.

Drinkability & Notes: This is a “sippin’ brew” … and that is how I tackled this brew, sippin’. It grew on me quick … still in sippin’ mode. Went well with some basic cheddar cheese and Triscuits.

Jason, Jul 18, 2004
2.6/5  rDev -28.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

DFH night at the BTAH in NYC. Typical 40 ounce bottle, plastic screw off cap, and arrives in the comical brown paper bag. Pours mostly clear light amber, light tan head, minimal lacing. Nose is harsh, solvents, alcohol, burns the hairs inside my schnazolla. Nose reminds me its been many years since I've sampled/chugged any Malt liquor. Flavor here is mostly corn and more corn and/or other adjuncts. Medium thickness, slightly warming in the finish. I'm not sure why DFH brewed this stuff, hopefully they will drop this one and move on to more interesting and drinkable styles

Billolick, May 21, 2005

Thanks to jjfoodie for sharing this bottle.

Poured from a clear glass 40-ounce bottle with a screw cap. Awesome. This is my first malt liquor review and what a beer it is. The beer pours a hazy yellow-orange color with a white head. The aroma is corn, caramel malt and orange hops. The flavor is more of the same, lots of orange hops along with some flowery hops and corn. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

Mora2000, Apr 19, 2010

40oz bottle in a bad ass hand stamped paper bag poured into a DFH hand blown snifter!

Pours a nice cloudy golden amber with a big two finger white fluffy head that slowly fades to about one finger and it's sticking around with a bit of lacing. Nose is very belgian, almost like a belgian golden ale. Very yeasty/bready with some light hops as well.

Wow, best Malt Liquor ever? The finish is a bit harsh and astringent like most malt liquor, but it's way more complex and fruity, I can taste the hops and having all this different corn really gives quite a nice and complex flavor.

kingcrowing, Apr 23, 2010
3.33/5  rDev -8.5%

Got to sample at the Penn Brewfest, but I also bought a bottle to take home. I don't understand why they are using these plastic twist off caps on the forties that can't hold air, on the way home we lost some carbonation drank it later that night and noticed some difference compared to the earlier samples I had at the fest. Honey amber gold tone at the fest a white frothy head formed but dwindled rather quickly leave thin lacing around the sample glass. Aromatics grainy sweetness and alcohol with a mild dose of corn somewhat husky but not wretched smelling, actually smells nice with the strong sweetness and alcohol. Taste consists of a sugary malt and adjunct deriven flavor with alcohol eivdent pretty clean and very stomachable especially compared to most forties. Mouthfeel was light to medium mildy sticky with a soft syrup texture. Drinkability, yeah you could get folded off a couple of these they are easy to drink and pretty tasty, not worth all of the hype but it's awesome to see a micro brew a forty.

WVbeergeek, Jun 07, 2004
3.1/5  rDev -14.8%

(Served in a dimple mug)

A-This beer has a deep golden clear body with a strong carbonation and a soapy head of big bubbles that fades quickly.

S- Very light soft smell of bitter hops with a slight sweetness to it. It has an alcohol aroma to it like beer breath.

T- This has a very soft bland flavor that is slightly sweet and finishes with a faint hop bitterness and some alcohol flavor. As it warms there is a slight caramel/ toasty aroma.

M- The mouthfeel is pretty full and creamy with no alcohol warmth or astringency.

D-This beer is very faint in flavor and hard to get a read on. The slight sweetness and full body make it a bit too sweet but the caramel and toasty note that came in the smell was a nice surprise. Well-built beer just not very complex or interesting.

rhoadsrage, Sep 25, 2005
3.93/5  rDev +8%

Review from notes.

A: Pours a clear golden/amber color with a foamy white head on top. The foam lasts for a few minutes and dissolves leaving the smallest amount of white on top. No lacing to speak of.

S: Surprisingly sweet, some straw and grain as well as a little bit of corn. There is a faint floral aroma mixed in as well.

T: Again, sweeter than expected. There is some light malt and a little bit of graininess, as well as some corn. There is a little floral/grassy flavor as well.

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Drinks rather smoothly for a malt liquor.

O: Easily one of the better malt liquors I have ever had. It would still be hard to drink the entire thing on your own, and I am glad I was able to share this one. Hopefully DFH will make it again so I can have it again.

mdaschaf, Jun 22, 2011
3.25/5  rDev -10.7%

Varkias41, Aug 27, 2013
2.23/5  rDev -38.7%

What an amazing novelty, brown bag and plastic screw-top included. If this wasn't Dogfish Head or some other reputable brewer, I'd be very scared right now, questioning my sanity and everything...

Who knows how long this sat in the store? (Purchased at City Beverage in Winston-Salem, NC) I got a completely unimpressive head, resembling wispy dishsoap bubbles scattered across the top of a burnt golden yellow. Good clarity.

Smell is definitely on the corn-y side, but there's a nice malt backbone backing things up, if a little on the sweet side.

The moment of truth: flavor is corn-heavy with a mineral maltiness as support. Slight bitterness in the finish, sort of like an alcohol-spiked butterscotch candy. This just tastes wrong, like they diluted the batch with Brut aftershave or something as sickening.

Making matters worse is the watery body, and the somewhat pasty film left in the mouth, sip after vile sip. Yuck.

I suspect this particular bottle wasn't the freshest example of Liquor De Malt, but damned if I'll buy it again just to a find a better example. I think I got the idea. Nice novelty, DFH, but no way was the fun-factor worth the $8.99 price of admission. My most expensive drain-pour yet.

Metalmonk, Mar 26, 2007
4.47/5  rDev +22.8%

Consumed from the bottle, on the porch, listening to early '90's Compton's Most Wanted, specifically the album "Music to Driveby", then onto M.C Eiht's (from CMW) "We Come Strapped".
I poured enough into a glass to get a handle on the appearance. It's a hazy, cereal straw colored with a bountiful, lacy white head.
Surprisingly aromatic. The corny sweetness coupled with the yeast indicates sugared kiwis. There is plenty of grain structure to back it up. It lacks entirely the solvent booziness that other Malt Liquors seem to possess. It smell far from cheap, in fact, the aroma is very inviting, and that is a HUGE feat.
Flavor is bold and multifaceted. Begins akin to toasted tortillas. Corny and slightly rough. Sweetness rushes in, full of caramel and vanilla nougat. At this point, it's like a plate of nachos covered in caramel sauce. Yeast adds nuance of tropical fruit, specifically guava, kiwi, and papaya. Grainy towards the finish, as the corn reasserts itself (in a flaked maize sense), along with an resurgence of vanilla, toasted breads, and flashes of boozy heat. Hopping is passable (I'd like to see what's used), and just bitter enough for cleansing purposes.
Slightly fuller than medium, and with actual structure and finesse. It's drinkable....not quickly...but it's drinkable. And this needn't be kept ice cold.

Yes, this is a gimmick. It's one I figured I loathe, and I didn't. Rather, I enjoyed all 40ozs. And I enjoyed it a hell of a lot. As a malt liquor, this is absolutely untouchable, and I've rated it as such.

I can't overstate how impressed I am with this.

cokes, Aug 21, 2004
3.7/5  rDev +1.6%

A surprisingly well malted, as opposed to cheap corn, and a tasty beverage, courtesy of Joey Capps. Light color, barlywine aroma and in taste. A little lace. Interesting intensity of flavour. Seductive drink on its own, it can sub as a kicked-up root beer.

Sammy, Dec 05, 2005
4.63/5  rDev +27.2%

Picked up a forty of this fine-ass brew at Star Liquor in Madison, the only place to buy it in the state I was told. Apparently someone who worked on this brew used to work at Star Liquor, so they got the only 5 cases that Wisconsin got. I feel pretty privelaged to find this in a store.

So I drank this predominantly out of the bottle, but poured a small glass to see what it looked like. Golden yellow with zero head, and some fine CO2 bubbles that rise to the top, along with the little pssst that came with opening the 40, are the only ways to know it was carbonated. Smell is quite sweet, like fruity candy, maybe some malt, but mostly sweet and some alcohol to round it out. Taste is mad-sweet as well. Like cotton candy in a bottle, yo. Actually, grainy-corn/caramel sweet and fruity - no hops to be found. Alcohol is not evenpresent for 7%. Mouthfeel is smooth, not as carbonated as your typical 40, because of the bottle conditioning (which leaves a big chunk of yeast at the bottom of the bottle) but fine and creamy nonetheless. Easiy the best malt liquor out there and better than many a beer out there. If you're lucky enough to get ahold of this rare brew give it a try, it's kitschy as hell, and not a bad brew at all. Plus, it'll get you drunk!

Golden2wenty1, Aug 06, 2005
3.05/5  rDev -16.2%

Not a very good malt liquor, but OK in itself.

Golden with a long-lasting white head. Nice lacing.

High alcohol in the nose. Floral and malty.

Full bodied but pretty well carbonated to offset it.

Malty sweet and basic in the flavor with a heavy hit of alcohol. Fruity.

Overdone, but what DFH beer isn't. Besides, this is all about the gimmick anyway.

NeroFiddled, Apr 30, 2006
4.65/5  rDev +27.7%

There are 3 times in a mans life when malt liquor is to be consumed

1)between the age of 15 and 17
2)when pledging a fraternity, if thats your bag
3)when you find liquor de malt

appearance: first of all 40's are not for pouring, under any circumstances. The bottle is nice, and the bag is money!

smell: not like your ordinary malt liquor. very malty, sweet, mmm midwest corn, well probably delaware corn actually

taste: surprisingly (or maybe not so much) delicious. sweet, warms the body. corn malt

mouthfeel: smooth

drinkability: the easiest drinking malt liquor by far!

dirtylou, Jul 29, 2005
3.75/5  rDev +3%

Brought this to a beer tapping at Flossmoor.

Appearance-Very cloudy and thick head

Smell-malty and sweet barley

Taste-Not what I expected kind of like a Barley wine.

Mouthfeel-Fills your mouth,thick very carbonated.

Drinkability-Not easy to drink but would have another at 7%abv

albgarza, Aug 27, 2010
3.75/5  rDev +3%

Gonzoillini, Jan 05, 2013
3.95/5  rDev +8.5%

40oz bottle via trade thanks to soulforpeanuts. Been after this one for awhile. If there was a packaging category in rating this one, it would do quite well: brown bag, 40oz bottle, plastic screw top. Classy.

Pours cloudy amber with a nice frothy off-white head and some lacing on the glass.

Aroma is nice and sweet but not too exciting: pale malt, caramel, slight floral hops, and some grainy adjunk (corn, I think).

Flavor is sweet and malty. Pale malt and maybe some caramel, grain, corn, and just a hint of floral hops. A little sweeter than it should be.

Smooth and sweet on the palate. Medium-bodied with an average carbonation level.

Drinkability is not too high, but what 40 of malt liquor is drinkable? Edward 40-hands wouldn't be much of a challenge then, would it? I think "great for the style, but not great overall" sums it up. I like what they did here, but probably wouldn't opt to drink this again.

nickd717, Apr 13, 2010
2.85/5  rDev -21.7%

I didn't expect to be served from a 40 at the Beer Fest VIP party. I was rather amused, but I still felt this beer was wrong on so many levels. It reached wrong new levels of wrongability. That's why I kinda like it.

This poured from the screw top bottle (that's a white plastic screw top in this case) nice, clear, golden yellow. It seemed to have absolutely no smell, hence the low number. The flavour had an intial hint of syrupy maltiness, that it was gone almost immediately. There's a strong alcohol finish to it.

Body was heavier than expected, but seemed to be gone virtually the instant it appeared.

I must confess, part of the lack of smell or any other strong characteristics may have been because Pliny the Younger had his way with me just before I had this beer.

I give the drinakbility a 4.0 because it looks so much like 40- the bottle this one came in.

Be well