Liquor De Malt - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

American Malt Liquor |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 05-14-2004

The world's only bottle-conditioned malt liquor, Liquor de Malt is brewed with red, white and blue gourmet corns. These 40-ounce bottles come in a hand-stamped brown paper bag.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Liquor De Malt Alström Bros
1.43/5  rDev -60.7%

Up until I tried Liquor De Malt, I had thought that Dogfish Head was infallible. I have no idea what happened here. I can only hope that I got a bad bottle.

So of course, as soon as I heard about this beer, I HAD to try it. Being a Dogfish Head product, I was certain it would be great. A good-tasting malt liquor? I was all over it, even for $7 per 40oz bottle.

As soon as the cap was cracked, it was bad news. NO HEAD WHATSOEVER. Pale pissy color like a macro lager. My shoulders sag.

Smell? Strangely absent. I guess some of the corn they used was slightly present, but I had to inhale hard. My hopes drop a little lower. I start to get worried.

Taste? THERE WAS NOTHING THERE! My friends I was sharing with this almost gagged as they drank it, but I just swallowed, waiting. Nothing happened. Maybe a very faint corn taste, but it was far in the background. I drank more and more of the 40oz bottle, hoping something was wrong with me, but no, it was the beer.

Between 5 people sharing this bottle, we still did not finish it. Do I need to say more? Not really, but I will. I honestly wish I (well, rather my friend who bought it) could get his $7 refunded. I sincerely hope that there was something wrong with the specific bottle we got. I can not imagine otherwise - that Dogfish Head thought this was suitable to release. (1,343 characters)

2.14/5  rDev -41.2%

A : Poured a honey color with a small white head

S : Not much on the smell, mainly just corn and some malt

T : Not that good. Strong corn flavor with the alcohol really showing through. There was some mineral tastes in there that just threw it off.

M : Light carbonation, medium-bodied

D : I usually love Dogfish's beers but this is one that I'm glad they haven't rereleased. (379 characters)

2.28/5  rDev -37.4%

Package: 40 oz., brown-glass, red-plastic-capped, classically-shaped “forty.” Typical DFH buff-colored, spare “parchment” label with the legend, “The bottle-conditioned, handmade malt liquor.” “Bottled in” year codes for ‘04, ‘05, ‘06, ‘07; notched at ‘04. Included stamped brown paper bag and the humorous instructions (I notice not too many people seemed to get these). I was surprised by the plastic cap, but even after being transported in a hot car and shaken a bit, this had lots of carbonation. I will say 40 oz. is a good size; 2 imperial pints or 3 shakers.

Cost: $6.99 per 40 oz. bottle at Gary’s in Madison

Presentation: 16 oz. Shaker pint at ~40-45º

Appearance: Generated a large, ivory-colored head, which did not last very long, leaving a thin skim. Body was a murky, brownish-amber color, with large bubbles along the bottom of the glass and some smaller ones rising through the beer. I did not notice any substantial lees until the last glass (I got almost 3 full pints out of this with the large heads); in which there was a cascade of brown flecks and large clumps of yeast at the bottom (which I didn’t drink). (I gave bonus points for packaging.)

Smell: Hard to describe. Definite volatile, alcohol fumes that brought to mind day-old, sticky pools of Genny Cream and Brador. Sort of a sweet-and-sour nose, but not particularly “corny.” “Beery.”

Taste: Immediately sweet on the palate, followed by a sourish curdling taste. The thick sweetness coated my lips with a sweet, sticky glaze that I kept licking off. I kept getting that bitter-sour sensation that one experiences after eating bad candy or drinking really bad, cheap “champagne” (a memory which kept returning). Flabby, with little hops or structure. The finish, as mentioned, was in turns, sweet, sticky, and then almost acrid.

Mouthfeel: Quite dichotomous. There was almost a syrupy thickness that seemed to turn into a somewhat harshly carbonated thinness. The carbonation, as exhibited in the head, seemed tight but then became strong and harsh.

Drinkability: Not very. Too sweet, more alcoholic-seeming than the 7% ABV would suggest, and pretty expensive for what one gets. See below.

Backwash: I can’t claim great expertise with Malt Liquor, but I’d say that based on my college experience with Molson Brador (which was definitely stronger than 6% in the day), this is pretty damned authentic...including the college, cheap-beer headache it provoked! No, this was no hangover. By the time I’d finished the second pint, the headache had come, much like the ones I used to get at college “champagne brunches” while drinking copious amounts of fine sparkling wine from J. Roget et al.! I can’t guarantee it was from this, but I’m pretty sure it was. An interesting novelty, but ultimately a “glorious failure.” Do yourself a favor and go out and buy a “regular” malt liquor! (2,914 characters)

2.29/5  rDev -37.1%

What an amazing novelty, brown bag and plastic screw-top included. If this wasn't Dogfish Head or some other reputable brewer, I'd be very scared right now, questioning my sanity and everything...

Who knows how long this sat in the store? (Purchased at City Beverage in Winston-Salem, NC) I got a completely unimpressive head, resembling wispy dishsoap bubbles scattered across the top of a burnt golden yellow. Good clarity.

Smell is definitely on the corn-y side, but there's a nice malt backbone backing things up, if a little on the sweet side.

The moment of truth: flavor is corn-heavy with a mineral maltiness as support. Slight bitterness in the finish, sort of like an alcohol-spiked butterscotch candy. This just tastes wrong, like they diluted the batch with Brut aftershave or something as sickening.

Making matters worse is the watery body, and the somewhat pasty film left in the mouth, sip after vile sip. Yuck.

I suspect this particular bottle wasn't the freshest example of Liquor De Malt, but damned if I'll buy it again just to a find a better example. I think I got the idea. Nice novelty, DFH, but no way was the fun-factor worth the $8.99 price of admission. My most expensive drain-pour yet. (1,229 characters)

2.61/5  rDev -28.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

DFH night at the BTAH in NYC. Typical 40 ounce bottle, plastic screw off cap, and arrives in the comical brown paper bag. Pours mostly clear light amber, light tan head, minimal lacing. Nose is harsh, solvents, alcohol, burns the hairs inside my schnazolla. Nose reminds me its been many years since I've sampled/chugged any Malt liquor. Flavor here is mostly corn and more corn and/or other adjuncts. Medium thickness, slightly warming in the finish. I'm not sure why DFH brewed this stuff, hopefully they will drop this one and move on to more interesting and drinkable styles (578 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -26.4%

Pours a pale gold with a thick, white head that doesn't stick around too long. Grainy, slightly skunky and sweet nose. Thick, syrupy palate with a definate corn flavor profile. Long, sweet finish. Mouthfeel is odd. Light upfront, thick on the back and flavorful throughout. A novelty beer for sure. From the packaging to the palate, ingenious, but not necessary. Won't try this one again. (388 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -23.6%

I didn't expect to be served from a 40 at the Beer Fest VIP party. I was rather amused, but I still felt this beer was wrong on so many levels. It reached wrong new levels of wrongability. That's why I kinda like it.

This poured from the screw top bottle (that's a white plastic screw top in this case) nice, clear, golden yellow. It seemed to have absolutely no smell, hence the low number. The flavour had an intial hint of syrupy maltiness, that it was gone almost immediately. There's a strong alcohol finish to it.

Body was heavier than expected, but seemed to be gone virtually the instant it appeared.

I must confess, part of the lack of smell or any other strong characteristics may have been because Pliny the Younger had his way with me just before I had this beer.

I give the drinakbility a 4.0 because it looks so much like 40- the bottle this one came in.

Be well
-UF (896 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -23.1%

Thanks to Jacob for sharing this whale.

A: The pour is a cloudy pale straw color with just about no head at all.

S: It smells like (wait for it) malt liquor. Corn and perhaps some actual malt, but not good by any means.

T: Now, the flavor is actually not terrible. It's sort of sweet and less "corny" than malt liquor usually is, but malt liquor none-the-less.

M: The body is light with a moderate carbonation.

D: It wasn't terrible tasting at all, like many malt liquors are. But it wasn't so much better that I would trade a bunch for it or rush out and buy it. Let's be honest: it's malt liquor. (603 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -21.7%

Let me start off by saying I love novelety beers. They are a fun change of pace, and part of what makes beer drinking enjoyable.

A deep smokey amber body that is very uncommon of malt liquer. It hosts a short thin quick fading off white head.

Nose is a earthy malt feel that resembles an amber style.

At first sip you get more of a rustic malty slightly sweet feel that once again is more like an American amber. A bit of the "malt liquer" feel does come thru on the end of the palate. Sours slightly on the short finish. This one is best drank very cold. Very drinkable if cold. Not bad. (598 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

To finish all 40 ounces of this myself is going to be quite challenging indeed. Little gas escaped as I removed the plastic cap. Pour was an orange bronze colour with a nice looking half-inch thick white head. Strangely, there seems to be quite alot of CO2 bubbles streaming upward in this, inspite of the lack of escaping gas upon opening.
Smell is sweet and fruity with a substantial amount of corn. It smells nothing like any malt liquor I have ever smelled. I don't quite know what to make of this, actually. The taste is very sweet, and while I wasn't exactly impressed with it, it certainly does seem to taste better than your average malt liquor, so I gave it a 3,5. Mouthfeel is rather heavy and quite honestly, it's almost oily in texture. I like this in certain styles, but not this one. This is a very strange concoction which seems to combine attributes of a wide variety of styles, and place them all in a malt liquor. It's quite novel, if nothing else. (968 characters)

Photo of
2.94/5  rDev -19.2%

40oz. bottle

Light brown, rough texture. Some black lines in center. Small white head on top. Now, let's take it out of the bag....

In the interest of science, poured a serving into a glass. Crystal clear, golden color, with a large, rocky, white head.

Aroma was alcohol, and not much else. A bit of molasses and bread if I really shoved my head in the glass and inhaled beer.

Taste was better than the aroma, but not by a lot. A sweet wheat bread, corn, bubblegum on the rebound and, oh yeah, alcohol. Surprisingly, the alcohol was not terribly overdone.

Medium in body and carbonation. A very sweet/wet finish. A bit slick and coating. Alcohol warming in short order.

Interesting, but not my thing. Technically, pretty well done compared to what I remember of other malt liquors I had long ago. If Mickeys works for you, give this one a run. (861 characters)

Sampled at Sexual Chocolate 2011.
Pours a clear golden yellow color with a thin white head and a fair amount of lacing. Looks like Steel Reserve. Smells like a malt bomb and a little of that good ol' corn. Tastes very malty as the name might suggest -- not much else. Mouthfeel is average. Drinkability is okay. Nothing special really. (335 characters)

40oz to freedom! Yeah so this one was not that bad for like $4 4 the 4ty. Dark golden/amber with a small fizzy head that does not leave much lacing, than again I am chugging this one from the bottle. I mean, you have to this is a damn forty oz! Anyways, aromas are just malty sweet and one dimensional no real hops in the mix, just some corn, and some sugary sweet sugar syrup aromas. Taste is sweet and one-dimensional but not offensive in anyway, better than almost every "malt liquor" or "40" on the market, but I am not really too familiar with most of them and in the end this isn't that many steps above pricate stock! Mouthfeel is slick, smooth, and definately lends a quaffability to this beer that is quite good. Drinkability is good as well. Average as a brew. Magical for a 40! (788 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -16.8%

Not enough 40's in my life lately. Thanks to Alex for sharing this.

A - Hazy orangish-amber color. Little bit of white head that settled down rather quickly and left some spots behind.

S - Sweet malts and grains, some booze. Actually has some more complex stuff in there that reminds me of acutal beer, some sort of spice or fruit or something.

T - Taste is not bad. It's sweet, with honey and fruit notes and goes down pretty smoothly.

M - Carbonated, medium bodied.

O - I actually thought this was really good, and then I remembered I had been drinking complete shit immediately prior to this. I guess it's kind of a sliding scale when you're drinking malt liquors. It's not horrible, and might be the best malt liquor ever. Having said that, don't give me this again. Rating to style or not, this is an average beer, and I'm going to treat it accordingly. (863 characters)

3.04/5  rDev -16.5%

Not a very good malt liquor, but OK in itself.

Golden with a long-lasting white head. Nice lacing.

High alcohol in the nose. Floral and malty.

Full bodied but pretty well carbonated to offset it.

Malty sweet and basic in the flavor with a heavy hit of alcohol. Fruity.

Overdone, but what DFH beer isn't. Besides, this is all about the gimmick anyway. (367 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -16.2%

Pours a golden copper color with a small white head. In the aroma, bourbon, and a malty liquor presence. In the taste, malty and bourbon like, with a dry end. A big body, smooth mouthfeel, with a semi dry, bourbon aftertaste. Bourbon presence was a surprise, but was nice. Love the 40oz, its like classy trash! (310 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -15.9%

Pleasantly malty with a drying, neutral hop finish. Short. Distillate. A second bottle the next day revealed more fruitiness -- served in a 6 oz wine glass instead of a pint -- that adequately supressed the alcohol which appears otherwise in the midpalate and slowly takes over the flavor. Lacks crispness.

Relax, relax.
ng (327 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -15.4%

I just had to try this beer out of novelty factor alone. Thanks, mentor, for sending me the bottle. Unfortunately the brown bag didn't come with it, but I have another one lying around to use after I finish writing my review from the glass (yes, folks, I will be drinking the rest of this thing ghetto style).

The beer looks decent enough. Pours to a clear light golden color with a great carbonation. Head is very frothy and thin, but doesn't last long despite the lively carbonation. Lacing is actually fairly decent, surprisingly enough.

The smell is quite sweet and grainy. Definitely corny. Fairly high in alcohol. Not terrible, but not good. The taste is likewise. Actually much more flavorful than I was expecting, though it isn't particularly good either. Sweet and grainy with even a hint of toastiness to the malt. The finish really shows off the corn. Blech.

Full of residuals, but the body is still fairly light. The carbonation is prickly on the tongue. Has a bit of a bite to the finish.

Drinkability is not high. After this beer I will most likely never consume another 40 oz in my life. This was the first one I'd had since I was about 15, and probably my last unless another highly respectable craft brewery releases a malt liquor complete with 40 and brown bag.

I would say its the best malt liquor I've had, but that doesn't say much for it, and it's pretty much a given anyway. (1,412 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -14.6%

Found this @ State Line Liquors in MD.

Makes me laugh to think that I poured this beer into an elegant stemmed glass. Poured a glowing golden yellow color and was pretty hazy. A very large and frothy head topped it off. A generous amount of carbonation filled the glass – no signs of any problems in that department. Good head retention. Sticky and creamy.

The aroma is pretty much a slap in the face, especially when the spicy vodka-like vapors hit the nose. Hot stinging sugar alcohol fires up the senses.

The taste is very strong and has a sweet hot malt bite. Strong, full-bodied and flavorful, although I can’t really distinguish any hop characteristics. (Are you really supposed to with this style?)

Overall, this is pretty much high-powered nitro glycerin. I like it. Bold and fun. A nice recreation and a step above everyone’s favorite liquid ghetto blaster.

What’s next, Sam... Shelter Champale Ale? (928 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -14.6%

I guess I'll be the first...
Allen from DFH brought me a sample at my booth at the AoBF
Thanks for the glug bud...

I like corn so this will be easy.
The beer was bright but with little to no head. However, had plently of carbonation
A nice bouquet of corn and hust with a hint of earthy hop aroma
The taste was of malt and a hint of corn, no over powering
Quite enjoyable for a higher alcohol malt liquor
The carbonation was perfect or the style. uggg
the beer was quite drinkable and left me thinking that these guys are brilliant to do this as a hoot.

This is a great gift idea to any unsuspecting beer lover or future beer lover. Quite a novel approach to craft beer (684 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -14.6%

Presentation: 40 oz. (“fohty”) brown bottle from Once Upon A Vine. No freshness date to be found, but I believe it was just re-released. Comes with its own Dogfish Head stamped brown bag. Hilarious, gimmicky packaging. In all honesty, that’s half of why I decided to buy it in the first place.

Appearance: The beer pours a yellowish gold with a thin and very short-lived white head that reduces to a scarcely noticeable ring of white lace.

Smell: I’ll start with the obvious, immediately apparent smell of alcohol on this brew. It makes a half-hearted attempt to blend with corn and grainy notes and what seems to be hints of caramel and citrus. The result is something that is simultaneously sweet and sour but bready and clearly alcoholic.

Taste: Sweet, sweet, and sweet some more. I find it to be a bit too sweet and almost candy-like. A note of medicinal alcohol seems to be present in between the notes of corn and caramel that begin the first taste. It slowly fades into a slightly crisp, grainy aftertaste. The aftertaste might be more pleasant if it weren’t for the sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Perhaps the best quality of this brew seems to be its smoothness. A bit of carbonation tickles the tongue at the first sip and gives in to a gentle creaminess. I’d say it’s pleasant to swallow.

Drinkability: Drinkable, sort of. I didn’t dislike it, but I couldn’t praise it as anything more than a decent malt liquor. It’s easy to swallow, but I don’t enjoy the perpetual sugary sweetness. I didn’t have much trouble getting through my forty in one sitting, but unless I was drinking to get drunk, I don’t think I’d want to go through another.

Notes: Having only had malt liquor (Hurricane) once in my life, I have to say this is much, much better. Of course, it was a joke then, and it’s still a joke now. I bought this primarily because of the packaging and the humor value of sitting around with friends and drinking “fohties.” As far as the style is concerned, I’m certain that it’s a resounding success, but I do not enjoy this particular style. Regardless, cheers to DFH for providing me with something new for my palate. (2,164 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -14.3%

(Served in a dimple mug)

A-This beer has a deep golden clear body with a strong carbonation and a soapy head of big bubbles that fades quickly.

S- Very light soft smell of bitter hops with a slight sweetness to it. It has an alcohol aroma to it like beer breath.

T- This has a very soft bland flavor that is slightly sweet and finishes with a faint hop bitterness and some alcohol flavor. As it warms there is a slight caramel/ toasty aroma.

M- The mouthfeel is pretty full and creamy with no alcohol warmth or astringency.

D-This beer is very faint in flavor and hard to get a read on. The slight sweetness and full body make it a bit too sweet but the caramel and toasty note that came in the smell was a nice surprise. Well-built beer just not very complex or interesting. (794 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -14.3%

A craft brewed bottle-conditioned malt liquor. Who'd a thunk it.
Pours out of the 40oz bottle a tawny golden amber color with a thin whispy head that quickly recedes to a thin lace around the rim.
Smell is very good. Sweet garden fresh corn. Corn husk and faint alcohol.
Taste is grainy. Raw grain, sweet corn, malt, and alcohol. Alcohol in the finish. This has to be more than 7%.
Feels alright in the mouth. Medium bodied. Slick and oily feeling.
It's not a bad beer, it's a good malt liquor. But I still don't think it's a very drinkable beer. (551 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -14%

Fourty ounce brown screw top bottle. Year of bottling notched on label.

Hazy shade of medium gold. Topped by a fluffy white head that retains quite nicely.

Solvent aromas burn nose hairs. Yes, this thing is loaded with alcohol. Hints of grain & corn lurk in the background, but cannot overcome the intensity of the alcohol vapors.

Initially quite sweet, and then the big bang of tongue warming alcohol washes over, and takes out everything in its path. Leaving behind an aftertaste of corn. Surprisingly smooth. Medium bodied, moderate carbonation. (557 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -14%

Pours a light hazy gole with a creamy 1/4 inch ivory head. Not much lacing. Smells grassy and corny. Herbal hops. Sweet.

Tastes grassy and of that sweet corny taste so predominant in malt liquor. Not as bad as say, Schlitz Malt Liquor Bull or anything but it's still there. There are some light bittering hops that do their best to offset the cloying sweetness but they lose as the beer goes down. Lightly metallic tastes too. Creamy and sticky mouth.

I drank my share of crappy beer in my time but always shied away from malt liquor due to that weird corny taste. This one is much better but I am still turned off by the corn. (633 characters)

Liquor De Malt from Dogfish Head Brewery