Liquor De Malt - Dogfish Head Brewery

good

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

American Malt Liquor |  7.00% ABV

The world's only bottle-conditioned malt liquor, Liquor de Malt is brewed with red, white and blue gourmet corns. These 40-ounce bottles come in a hand-stamped brown paper bag.

(Beer added by: Todd on 05-14-2004)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Liquor De Malt Alström Bros
3.63/5  rDev -0.3%

This beer has a pale yellow color. The fizzy head is gone after just a few seconds. Sweet corn aroma along with sharp alcohol in the nose. The flavor is sweet malt with corn. It avoids most of the nasty flavors typically found in malt liquors, but still does not taste particularly good. Not much hop bitterness, but still it's not cloyingly sweet. For a malt liquor the mouthfeel is quite full. Better than any other malt liquor I've had, but that's not saying much.

4.63/5  rDev +27.2%

Picked up a forty of this fine-ass brew at Star Liquor in Madison, the only place to buy it in the state I was told. Apparently someone who worked on this brew used to work at Star Liquor, so they got the only 5 cases that Wisconsin got. I feel pretty privelaged to find this in a store.

So I drank this predominantly out of the bottle, but poured a small glass to see what it looked like. Golden yellow with zero head, and some fine CO2 bubbles that rise to the top, along with the little pssst that came with opening the 40, are the only ways to know it was carbonated. Smell is quite sweet, like fruity candy, maybe some malt, but mostly sweet and some alcohol to round it out. Taste is mad-sweet as well. Like cotton candy in a bottle, yo. Actually, grainy-corn/caramel sweet and fruity - no hops to be found. Alcohol is not evenpresent for 7%. Mouthfeel is smooth, not as carbonated as your typical 40, because of the bottle conditioning (which leaves a big chunk of yeast at the bottom of the bottle) but fine and creamy nonetheless. Easiy the best malt liquor out there and better than many a beer out there. If you're lucky enough to get ahold of this rare brew give it a try, it's kitschy as hell, and not a bad brew at all. Plus, it'll get you drunk!

3.58/5  rDev -1.6%

My deepest desire is to drink this one straight out of the bottle, with the bag for my coozie, but the clumps of yeast at the bottom have stolen my dream.

This beer has a momentary head that quickly fades to nothing. The beer is a translucent golden hue. There is a faintly noticeable corny, malty smell. The 7%ABV is definitely noticed.

This tastes like typical malt liquor backed by a little caramel malt. No hops anywhere in sight. This second pour has a larger head that lasts longer.

The mouthfeel is a little syrupy, but silky smooth. The drinkability is high, as this is a nice change of pace from the barlewines; big stouts; IIPAs; and other full flavored beers that I tend to drink. All of this being said, I will probably never buy this or any other beer of this style ever again. This beer pairs well with some Boyz In Tha Hood.

4.78/5  rDev +31.3%

The freshness dating on the bottle was left unmarked.

The color of this malt liquor is an orangeish, medium amber. I purposely kept the head low when pouring, but the bubbles rising from the bottom kept it going.

For a malt liquor this stuff smells awesome. Sweet corn abounds in the nose, and for once in a malt liquor I can smell some quality hops in there. There is also a light touch of dark fruits and a hint of citrus. Only a slight amount of ethanol is evident. I am also picking up a scotch like aroma in there.

Carbonation is medium low, and the body is medium.

Tastes like corn, but in a good way...fresh and sweet. A nice touch of fruity maltiness, though low, is in there as well. The taste is not quite as complex as the smell, but still holds up to the hype. Alcohol and bittering hops make themselves known in the finish.

The proper glassware for this beer, being a malt liquor, is the 40 ounce bottle in which it came...bag in place. I did, however, pour about 6 ounces of it into a snifter in order to better observe the colors and aromas. Slightly more complexity on the tonge would have bumped my rating up to a 5 for taste. A little accompaniment from Del was in order as I drank. And no, I did not pour any of this one out for my homies.

4.65/5  rDev +27.7%

There are 3 times in a mans life when malt liquor is to be consumed

1)between the age of 15 and 17
2)when pledging a fraternity, if thats your bag
3)when you find liquor de malt

appearance: first of all 40's are not for pouring, under any circumstances. The bottle is nice, and the bag is money!

smell: not like your ordinary malt liquor. very malty, sweet, mmm midwest corn, well probably delaware corn actually

taste: surprisingly (or maybe not so much) delicious. sweet, warms the body. corn malt

mouthfeel: smooth

drinkability: the easiest drinking malt liquor by far!

40oz to freedom! Yeah so this one was not that bad for like $4 4 the 4ty. Dark golden/amber with a small fizzy head that does not leave much lacing, than again I am chugging this one from the bottle. I mean, you have to this is a damn forty oz! Anyways, aromas are just malty sweet and one dimensional no real hops in the mix, just some corn, and some sugary sweet sugar syrup aromas. Taste is sweet and one-dimensional but not offensive in anyway, better than almost every "malt liquor" or "40" on the market, but I am not really too familiar with most of them and in the end this isn't that many steps above pricate stock! Mouthfeel is slick, smooth, and definately lends a quaffability to this beer that is quite good. Drinkability is good as well. Average as a brew. Magical for a 40!

3.48/5  rDev -4.4%

The beer pours a dark gold color with a thick, creamy white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is decent. It has a warm pale malt scent with some carapils for color and sweetness. It has a creamy aroma with little hops. The taste is decent. It has a smooth creamy pale malt flavor with some light crystal malts. It's sweet and warm warm on the finish with some hops in the aftertaste. This beer is good for about three sips and then it goes down hill. I don't think I could drink a whole one of these, but I like the concept. The mouthfeel is good. It is a medium bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This beer is pretty good, but I won't be making it to the end.

3.68/5  rDev +1.1%

Came in a 40 oz. bottle but lacked the paper bag. The plastic twist cap was a hilariously sleazy (and authentic) touch, but came in handy when closing the bottle up.

The beer poured hazy, yellow brown with a lot of fine natural carbonation. The head was an inch thick immediately after pouring, but settled down to a ring of small bubbles and left a good deal of lace.

The smell was strongly alcoholic and sweet with minimal faintly pepper like hop presence. The taste was dominated by the sweet corn chips, and the resulting alcoholic bit. Not much bitterness to balance things out. While one dimensional, the sweetness didn’t quite reach the cloying levels experienced in some other Dogfish Head brews. Thick, chewy, mouthfeel was quite satisfying.

I think this is the first well crafted malt liquor I’ve ever experienced, and for that many thanks are due to Brewfan.

3.85/5  rDev +5.8%

Had this with a friend over the 4th of July weekend... seemed like a good thing to break out at the party. Definitely better than the Busch he brought.

This poured out yelow and clear with a 1 finger head. I did note the sediment and poured carefully so as not to get any of it in the glasses.

The aroma had some corn in it, to be sure, but it was not overpowering. It was a little sweet, and reminiscent of apples. Peaches came out as it warmed.

The taste was slightly bitter, with a load of the "good" corn taste... nowhere near the skunkiness of something like Black Label 11-11 or the funkiness of Steel Reserve. There was a touch of whisky, and a little hoppiness. Hints of fruitiness, mostly peaches, came in as it warmed in my hand.

Mouthfeel was smooth. Quite good for the style.

I am trying hard to rate this versus other malt liquors as opposed to beers as a whole... otherwise I would rate it lower. But versus the style, this was an excellent example.

3.7/5  rDev +1.6%

After taking the 40oz bottle out of the DFH stamped paper bag, and screwing off the plastic cap, it poured an almost light-greenish color.

Smell was of light malt and some corn, and really, not much else. Not the most exciting nose here, but it that really expected of the style!!

Taste was light and grainy with lots of sweet corny malt. Medium mouthfeel with no bitterness. Finish was light with a bit of alcohol spiciness.

As far as drinkability, if this is your thing, I'd say it's probably better than others of this style. I had it at a BBQ on the weekend in very hot weather, and it surprisingly enough, was pretty refreshing.

Being DFH, I'd give it a try for sure.

4.68/5  rDev +28.6%

I bought this beer for the botlle... Honestly, I did not care about the taste, but after drinking it I was completely satisfied... I have enjoyed most Dogfish brews, but still expected that nasty Old English kind of taste.... Verry good taste, great after taste, sweet smell of roasted malt.... I will totally drink again if I can find it... PEACE and CHEERS

3.53/5  rDev -3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The beer poured out of the forty and into the glass crystal clear light amber golden with a white frothy head which rose tall and fell slowly to lace the glass.

The aroma was fuity with a banana character coupled with a bready pineapple undertone. The aroma was strongly malty with caramel and a bit of higher alcohol.

The flavor was fruity, very, very fruity with banana flavors at a lower level and then maltiness. The malt was not overly balanced with hops so it was a bit on the sweet side and just did not work well. Some alcohol was present in the flavor and the flavor contained some spice.

The finish was dry with a lasting fruitinesss and malt impression. The body was almost medium and a bit high for the style. The alcohol left a definite warming after consumption. An interesting idea, but not the greatest malt liquor ever, however it probably was the most expensive one...;)

40 ounce bottle. $7.49 at Wine Warehouse in Charlottesville, VA (thanks Mike W).

4.3/5  rDev +18.1%

A clean golden amber beer. Has a small off white head, not much lace. The aroma is a very distinict malted grain with some vanilla notes like from powdered malted milk. At first the alcohol rushes into your mouth. The the malt smoothes everything out and the is just a little prickly hop on the finish.

4.9/5  rDev +34.6%

Smells of cotton candy, sweetcorn, some tart, highly alcoholic beer I remember having once but can't recollect the name of, and a trace apple peel notion.
Deep gold color, average clarity, little head and a sticky appearance overall.
Sugary sweet and candyish sweet corn are at the forefront. I sense some of the characteristic flavor from the DFH Raisin D'Etre. Did they actually add some green raisins to this? The mouthfeel is spot on for a malt liquor-sticky, gooey, oily and all. Tastewise, this seems ale-like during some more poignant moments. The beginning 12 oz were poured into a glass, for some review-types of sakes. The rest was juiced straight out the 40, as nature intended, in a sunshine lawnchair. From the bottle this seems less confectionary, and the corn and husky grain settle in a bit more. This is utterly drinkable, much more so than any other preceding malt liquor, ever. Good even. Maybe great. Not just for a malt liquor, but in general as well.
I'd definitely give this a go again. Very unique. I realize the project is a bit tongue-in-cheek but they did well anyhow. Besides, I"m a sucker for a good ploy. But seriously, this blows every malt liquor right out of the lake. I've enjoyed other beers more that got a lower score, but per style this is the reigning champ. No question.
"Police on my drawers, I have to pause,
forty ouncer in my lap and it's freezin' my balls" -Eazy E

4.2/5  rDev +15.4%

Straight out of the forty, pours murky amber and sits thusly in the glass with a thin white head, fading to a faint skim, no real lacings to speak of.

Smells quite vegetal, corn mainly. Greasy doughnuts, grassy with kind of milky. Near medicinal qualities in the back of the throat from deep inhalation. Yum...

Tastes mildly sweet up front, powerfully malty. Loads of sugary bread dough and hints of clover. Mildly spicy, grassy hop presence. Finish is smooth and clean with light pepper and a warming alcoholic glow.

Sickly smooth in the mouth, mild carbonation and a medium body. It's built for swillin'.

It is what it is, and it excells at it. It's also very easy to put back, and it better be, because this one's got a brother waiting in the fridge.

3.58/5  rDev -1.6%

light golden color with not much of white head. alcoholic smelling, very sweet caramel cornflake like smell. like corny candy... with a little booze. very sweet taste with alcohol at the back. very corny with some caramel notes. a good amount of yesty bread flavors. slightly syrupy medium body with delicate carbonation. good drinkability, it won't be hard to finsih this. puts every 40oz i've even had to shame. if you see it grab it, cause while it's gimmicky, i think it's a success.

3.13/5  rDev -14%

Presentation: 40 oz. (“fohty”) brown bottle from Once Upon A Vine. No freshness date to be found, but I believe it was just re-released. Comes with its own Dogfish Head stamped brown bag. Hilarious, gimmicky packaging. In all honesty, that’s half of why I decided to buy it in the first place.

Appearance: The beer pours a yellowish gold with a thin and very short-lived white head that reduces to a scarcely noticeable ring of white lace.

Smell: I’ll start with the obvious, immediately apparent smell of alcohol on this brew. It makes a half-hearted attempt to blend with corn and grainy notes and what seems to be hints of caramel and citrus. The result is something that is simultaneously sweet and sour but bready and clearly alcoholic.

Taste: Sweet, sweet, and sweet some more. I find it to be a bit too sweet and almost candy-like. A note of medicinal alcohol seems to be present in between the notes of corn and caramel that begin the first taste. It slowly fades into a slightly crisp, grainy aftertaste. The aftertaste might be more pleasant if it weren’t for the sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Perhaps the best quality of this brew seems to be its smoothness. A bit of carbonation tickles the tongue at the first sip and gives in to a gentle creaminess. I’d say it’s pleasant to swallow.

Drinkability: Drinkable, sort of. I didn’t dislike it, but I couldn’t praise it as anything more than a decent malt liquor. It’s easy to swallow, but I don’t enjoy the perpetual sugary sweetness. I didn’t have much trouble getting through my forty in one sitting, but unless I was drinking to get drunk, I don’t think I’d want to go through another.

Notes: Having only had malt liquor (Hurricane) once in my life, I have to say this is much, much better. Of course, it was a joke then, and it’s still a joke now. I bought this primarily because of the packaging and the humor value of sitting around with friends and drinking “fohties.” As far as the style is concerned, I’m certain that it’s a resounding success, but I do not enjoy this particular style. Regardless, cheers to DFH for providing me with something new for my palate.

2.85/5  rDev -21.7%

I didn't expect to be served from a 40 at the Beer Fest VIP party. I was rather amused, but I still felt this beer was wrong on so many levels. It reached wrong new levels of wrongability. That's why I kinda like it.

This poured from the screw top bottle (that's a white plastic screw top in this case) nice, clear, golden yellow. It seemed to have absolutely no smell, hence the low number. The flavour had an intial hint of syrupy maltiness, that it was gone almost immediately. There's a strong alcohol finish to it.

Body was heavier than expected, but seemed to be gone virtually the instant it appeared.

I must confess, part of the lack of smell or any other strong characteristics may have been because Pliny the Younger had his way with me just before I had this beer.

I give the drinakbility a 4.0 because it looks so much like 40- the bottle this one came in.

Be well
-UF

3.53/5  rDev -3%

Gimmick, anyone?

You got to give Dogfish Head credit for their ingenuity and creativity. However, how well can you make a malt liquor?

I guess I never properly researched the style, I don't know much about the history and the nuances. All I know is 40 oz. bottles in gas stations.

The beer had little to no head, and had a faint aroma of malty sweetness. No hops.

The taste was pretty good. Plenty of malty sweetness with a decent amount of bittering hops to balance.

Overall, I think I could slam a couple of these. Pretty drinkable.

3.45/5  rDev -5.2%

Appearance - pours frothily into the glass a dirty, dank yellow with very active beading. The head is a dirty white, a half-finger thick for a few moments, dropping and holding at a thin cap. Odd and mysterious, much like the train of thought that ended with DFH's decision to brew a malt liquor destined for the 40-ounce container.

Aroma - crackery, bready, dry grain, somewhat elusive. Fades to a light malty grain.

Taste - grainy and sweet. A warm envelope of alcohol around it all doesn't go overboard but is on the edge. No bad flavors, not much depth though. Kudos for maintaining solid taste as it warms.

Mouthfeel - upbeat, highly carbonated, a body that stays about average and helps keep the high abv from feeling too heavy.

Drinkability - tasty, I bet it would do fine in a blind taste test. It comes across plainly at times but maintains a requisite boozy/sweet mix. 7 bucks a ride is steep, but it *is* 40 ounces. A top shelf malt liquor, worth a try. Maybe Billy Dee could take a break from Mambo Kings and do a short spot for old times sake...

3.65/5  rDev +0.3%

leftover on tap from a calagione book signing thing.

16oz pour.. bartended says 'i wont tell if you dont'. ok, i wont. yellowy-orange with an oddly sparse yet foamy head. something tells me this isnt meant for a pint glass. regardless, i smell it. hoppier than i remember from the bottle, with real sweet malts and a tad of that adjunct sour-metal. flavor is initially sweet and smooth and carries through adding a bit of sour-tinged freshness. no nasty aftertaste here. almost belgian.

almost.

great malt kicker. sweet, awesome. several sips give me some candied orange wedges and caramel. amazing what a difference the tap makes. suffers a bit from the sweetness, but i still adore it.

2.6/5  rDev -28.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

DFH night at the BTAH in NYC. Typical 40 ounce bottle, plastic screw off cap, and arrives in the comical brown paper bag. Pours mostly clear light amber, light tan head, minimal lacing. Nose is harsh, solvents, alcohol, burns the hairs inside my schnazolla. Nose reminds me its been many years since I've sampled/chugged any Malt liquor. Flavor here is mostly corn and more corn and/or other adjuncts. Medium thickness, slightly warming in the finish. I'm not sure why DFH brewed this stuff, hopefully they will drop this one and move on to more interesting and drinkable styles

4.15/5  rDev +14%

This brew pours a slightly golden yellow color with a 2 finger head taht falls to a generous coat over the beer. The nose is sweet, slightly corny. Not bad at all. The flavor is nice. It has a corn sweetness and a slight alcohol spiceyness on the finish. The feel is moderate to thick. As far as a malt liquor goes, this is really nice. I couldn't finish the first OE I ever tried, so this is definately better.

3.75/5  rDev +3%

Didn’t even have to use my AK, I hadda say it was a good day with this one on 2/23/2005. 4-oh fluid ounces poured three times in a shaker.

Brown chung in cap edging and on the lip of the bottle. Very thin, forming and closing, opaque film of bubbling; good lace throughout. Washed out gold hue with a light haziness but a constant gas release happening. Grog of washy malt on nose with some corn/maize and a kind of chicken broth flavoring. Surprising juicy flavor of light lemon juice and orange zest; as pour warms, there seems to be an almost chlorine taste which raised an eyebrow. Not a whole lot of depth, but that seems perfectly fine for what they are attempting here; 7% abv is lulling, and 40 oz. of it gets the engine going.

3.63/5  rDev -0.3%

I love that the kids over at DFH know how to have fun and don't take themselves too seriously. This beer poured a copper tinged golden color with a white head, out of a well cellared bottle. The aroma is so complex, fruity, spicey, and a hair of hops. The flavor is malty and has a spicey yeast finish, almost bock like. There is great amount of body here for a beer made with a percentage of corn. This beer is pretty good, too good for a malt liquor perhaps.

Liquor De Malt from Dogfish Head Brewery