Burton Baton - Dogfish Head Brewery

Burton BatonBurton Baton

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: Todd on 12-08-2004

This oak-aged gentle giant has been gaining popularity over the past few years and is now available year-round.

For Burton Baton, we brew two "threads," or batches, of beer: an English-style old ale and an imperial IPA.

After fementating the beers separately in our stainless tanks, they're transferred and blended together in one of our large oak tanks. Burton Baton sits on the wood for about a month.

When enjoying the Burton Baton, you'll find an awesome blend of the citrus notes from Northwestern hops melding with woody, vanilla notes from the oak. The wood also tends to mellow the 10% ABV of Burton, so tread cautiously!

to view more.
Ratings: 6,055 | Reviews: 1,793
3.23/5  rDev -23.8%

Barrel aged and you can tell by the aroma and taste. Bit too much carbonation and definitely boozy, the 10% comes thru to me. Aroma is sweet, malty and like a kicked up 90 min DFH. More like a barley wine, and not really what i expected.

4.55/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Soooo good. Taste: the oak mellows the 10% ABV. Look: beautiful golden orange color with just the right amount of foam. Smell: like another sampling of deliciousness from Dogfish Head. Feel: feels like I need to drink another, but I'll save one for aging.

3.45/5  rDev -18.6%

Love the high ABV but not a fan of Bourbon barrel flavor, personal preference.

4.51/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Appearance- pours a 1/2 in head, great golden amber color with a slight creamy look.
Smell-Strong sweet malty smell, very boozy with slight fruity taste.
Taste- Very well balanced, hoppy with a smooth finish
Mouthfeel- Full mouthfeel, very heavy with a little excess carbonation.
Overall a fantastic beer, one of my favorites, I like it better than the 90 minute ipa but after rating it, it is very boozy and has somewhat of a barleywine taste, Id like to see a few more characteristics done to it to make it more of an ipa.

4.74/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: Brilliant garnet tinged amber, ½” white head that dissipates to a thin film
S: Citrus, wood and malt.
T: Starts with malty sweetness and then grapefruit bitterness comes through joined by oak notes
M: Medium full body and medium caronation. The carbonation is smooth.
O: The hops are very well done in this beer with loads of flavors and just enough bitterness for balance. Nothing is harsh or overstated. A pleasure to drink.

4.21/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I'm not a big fan of the wood-aged beers. This is probably my favorite, though it is a close tie with the Palo Santo from the same brewery.

If you've had this in a bottle, also try it if find it on tap. I experienced a big difference in flavor and aroma. I wasn't crazy about the bottle but loved it on tap.

4.04/5  rDev -4.7%

The oak barrel-aging adds a really nice touch to what's otherwise a pretty ordinary double IPA.

3.25/5  rDev -23.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

I should revisit this one as it's been a few years since I had it, but as with most beers, I feel like this one would be better off had it not spent any time in a barrel.

look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a mug.

A - Poured an opaque sienna with a frothy, finger-and-a-half head.

S - Very light aromatics of oak and hops.

T - Very boozy and a bit creamy with a light underlying taste of charred oak. The hops take over quickly and hang in the aftertaste, with the oak still lightly present.

M - A little heavier than you'd expect from a DIPA, but still a bit bubbly and aggressive. Overall not bad in a style where an aggressive texture is all too common.

O - As someone who's not a fan of the hop aggression of most DIPAs, I really enjoyed this. Very well balanced and complex.

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

Excellent smooth,smoky IPA with a creamy oak flavor

4.01/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Not much smell. Taste is a combo of a quad and iPa. Interesting.

4.45/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

Great beer. Has a bit of boozieness , but not what I would consider too much. I would definitely pick this up again.

4.52/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Look - Pours a beautiful, clear amber color with thick, creamy, off-white head. Great lacing in the glass as well.

Smell - The smell isn't very aromatic, however, it is pleasant. Piney hop aroma followed by something sweet that I just can't put my finger on. Smells like brown sugar almost.

Taste - Absolutely delicious. Very sweet and subtle hop flavor. Wood and vanilla flavors are in there as well. Very complex and very yum!

Feel - Smooth as a baby's bottom. ABV is barely detectable.

Overall - Exceeded my expectations. Very delicious, complex, and well-crafted beer. Dogfish head does it again.

4.06/5  rDev -4.2%

Bottle poured into a Sierra Nevada tulip glass

A: Pours gorgeous slightly hazy deep golden orange amber with a creamy off white head that settles and laces lightly.

S: Sweet caramel malt up front, some pine, light citrus, and floral notes.

T: Pine and light citrus, grapefruit and a little orange, a touch floral, settles into a big caramel malt sweetness, a little honey maybe even vanilla, and some fruitiness. Maybe a little mid palate woody note. Alcohol is very well hidden.

M: Towards the fuller end of medium body, low carbonation, very smooth, though it can get a bit syrupy.

O: Really hard to score this one. I'm a self proclaimed hop head so I love a good bitter kick in the face. This one is very smooth, well accented with hops, but on the malty sweet side. In my personal taste, it's good, and given that it's a partially oak aged blend, I would say it turned out quite well. Maybe not as hoppy as I'd like, but still enjoyable.

Best damn beer I've had thus far every thing about it is phenomnal. Flavor is out of this world.

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

Poured from a bottle into a spiegelau IPA glass. Cold it drinks as an IPA with some oak characteristics as it warms to room temp more of an oaked barley wine. Very solid brew from dogfishhead. I can't recall the last time I tried this beer (several years) but I am definitely going to be keeping some on hand from now on. For me it's as good as 120 IPA.

3.36/5  rDev -20.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

i can see how some one might like this, but i think its gross.

4.85/5  rDev +14.4%

By far the best beer I've tried from dogfish head. I'd drink this any day of the week. It's not a session beer but I crave it daily.

3.51/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Bottled on 09/30/2014. Sampled and reviewed on March 9, 2015.

12 oz. bottle into a Sam Adams glass. Pours amber with a 1 finger head of white foam. Smell is pine, citrus, orange peel, and grapefruit. Light bodied. Definite alcohol bite, but not bad. I get oranges, lemon, pine, and honey on the taste. Dry finish. A bit of malt on the aftertaste, but probably due to the age.

Not sure if it was the oak barrel aging or the age of the beer that was off for me, but I didn't care much for this one. At 5+ months old, common sense would say to avoid this, as it is an IPA. I took a chance, though, because it was a relatively high ABV. Maybe I'll try this one again fresh and see if it's any better.

Edit: After reading several reviews on this one, I see a lot of people mentioning the matly taste and comparing this beer to a barleywine of sorts, so maybe 5 months on this doesn't change the taste much. It's getting better as I'm getting drunker. Still a bit off, in my opinion.

4.62/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This is a great beer. You can find characteristics of both styles, and scents and flavors of oak come through in a good way. Supremely smooth and easy to drink.

4.28/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This beer was surprisingly good. I was sure at a abv of 10% I would get a good burn when drinking this beer. Its surprisingly smooth. I think I'll have seconds on this one.

3.78/5  rDev -10.8%

Malty and woodsy with a hint of caramel. 3 sips and I was feeling something. The fact I had no idea it was a 10% says a lot about the drinkability.

4.11/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

mostly brown see through body, almost white head. Caramel and malted almost barleywine like taste. Alcohol, malt, sugar and funk in the smell. Old prunes and yeasty wine in the taste. Heavy mouthfeel. very woody like oak. Any citrus is deeper older orange type thing. some vanilla in there.

4.67/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Very carbonated mouth feel. Very hoppy initial taste with oak woody flavor at the end. Almost forgot this was 10% abv until the buzz hit.. Haha. Creamy mouth feel... Awesome beer!

4.36/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pour a deep amber with off white foamy head and mild effervescence
Smells of wood, nectarine/peach, very floral
Tastes malty and sweet up front, with pleasant peach, then hint of spice, citrus and pine, a pleasant flat woody taste near the end note and rather clean finish with a pleasant astringent, alcohol warmth to cleanse the palate. Profile changes as the beer heats up in the hand, becomes more sweet oddly enough.
Mouthfeel is between 2% and whole milk texture.
Overall, this beer is pretty amazing and thoroughly enjoyable. The perfect balance of flavors and another Dogfish classic, I will definitely be stocking up on this one!

to view more.