Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Burton Baton - Dogfish Head Brewery

Burton BatonBurton Baton

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: Todd on 12-08-2004

This oak-aged gentle giant has been gaining popularity over the past few years and is now available year-round.

For Burton Baton, we brew two "threads," or batches, of beer: an English-style old ale and an imperial IPA.

After fementating the beers separately in our stainless tanks, they're transferred and blended together in one of our large oak tanks. Burton Baton sits on the wood for about a month.

When enjoying the Burton Baton, you'll find an awesome blend of the citrus notes from Northwestern hops melding with woody, vanilla notes from the oak. The wood also tends to mellow the 10% ABV of Burton, so tread cautiously!

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Burton Baton Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,792 | Hads: 6,198

I'm only going to review beers I absolutely LOVE.

This is my absolute favorite. There are others listed in my profile I thoroughly enjoy, but this is it.

90 min is awesome.
add some English Ale and age in bourbon barrels = bliss.
I await each spring for this release. I travel to DE to enjoy it at the source.

I personally love bourbon and will try any beer aged in its barrels.

Well done Sam Calagione (406 characters)

Poured from a 12oz bottle to a shaped Dogfish Head pint glass.

Color: A magnificent deep amber.

Smell: Sweet notes with a hoppy twist. The smell literaly makes the stress go away!

Taste: The taste is just as good as the smell if not better. A great sweet taste with the IPA hoppiness. I think I now know what heaven tastes like.

Mouthfeel: Nice and smooth with a light dryness. Has just a little kick I love and expect from an IPA.

Overall: I am an IPA man and I found my favorite one to date. It has that IPA hoppiness with some sweet notes to the taste. It's a beautiful looking beer and smells awesome just like the taste. The mouthfeel is perfect and leaves me wanting more. Can't even tell it's 10% ABV! Very dangerous! This beer is how I get peace of mind. Cheers. (775 characters)

Had this beer over the summer I thought it was simply amazing! Got some more bottles and giving it another go!

Pours a nice amber color, very clear and clean. About an inch of well retaining foamy head rests at the top. Lots of citrus and herbal notes on the nose. Smells a little oily and kind of like the 90 minute IPA but a bit more pungent. Creamy and thick mouth feel. Huge Body but still some decent carbonation and it goes down easy. Drinking a little too easy actually! This is going down fast for a 10 percenter. Some woody and biscuity maltiness upfront. The perfect amount of malt as well, you get the flavor but no lingering sweetness. Some citrus in the middle and then nice piney hop finish with a little oak.

This is honestly one of the best balanced beers I've ever had. Simply put, this is an amazing beer, with amazing taste and amazing drinkability! (871 characters)

Bottled 7/20/11

Pours deep orange amber with full off white head. Bottle is really cool lookin as well. Head lasts and lasts...

Smells really good. Nice balance of grapefruity hops and caramel malts. Good fresh, flowery hops here. Sense of alcohol is apparent, but welcome.

Grapefruit hops mix together well with a sweet caramel malt that hits you first, mixing with an oaky element towards the close. Good bitter throughout the taste and finish. There's a nice warming alcohol.

Wicked smooth mouthfeel and medium body.

This is possibly the best beer I've had. (565 characters)

Dogfish head never ceases to impress me. This beer is fantastic. Surprisingly clear for an IIPA. Smell is very smooth. Not extreme on the hops side as I'm sure the Oak Barrels lay it down a bit.

The taste is whats killer. I really cant decribe it. Not too bitter, but has a bight. Not very alcoholish though you can taste it. Yea, Just try it yourself. Maybe others can review it better than me. But I've had a lot of different beers, and this is one I always try to keep in the fridge. (487 characters)

This is my favorite Beer of all i enjoy the taste and the smell as well as the color
of this beer. Glad it is no longer a seasonal beer.

two thumbs up (154 characters)

Bottle. Hazy golden color with with white head. Aroma of flora, hops and yeast. Taste of vanilla, hops, yeast and a sweetness. Bitter aftertaste. A good beer (157 characters)

Huge blast of citrus and fruitcake like smells and as I got halfway through the beer the vanilla, wood, and spicy notes came out a bunch more especially when I swirled the beer around. The taste is almost unlike any other beer with a a smooth velvet thick and rich body that has toffee sweet malts and ending with that 90 minute like bitterness that consists of the fruity citrus taste and bitterness. Just as the smell the wood, vanilla,

and spicy tastes come out a lot more as you drink it more. You can tell they made sure that every single taste wasn't full on in your face but everything is just enough there so that it has this complete unique blend to it where it all combines into one taste instead of a bunch of separate tastes. Alcohol is very well masked and if anything adds the spicyness that mixes in with the subtle vanilla and oak wood tastes perfectly. Almost too perfectly well balanced. With it being well balanced the two most outright flavors are of course the sweet toffee malts and citrus hops with the other tastes (oak, wood, vanilla) coming in subtly. A plus beer all the way around and another all time favorite from Dogfish Head. (1,159 characters)

When I first heard about this beer, it sounded like it was made specially for me: IPAs and strong ales are two of my favorite styles, and I firmly believe that oak makes any beer better. When I first got hold of a bottle about a year ago, I was somewhat disappointed. Don't get me wrong; it was a very good beer, but I was expecting an epiphany.

It wasn't until I tried this beer on tap that I had that epiphany. Often, beers of this type are better from the bottle than from a tap; the opposite is true of Burton Baton. It pours a beautiful deep amber with plenty of head. The nose entices with aromas of pine, citrus, and oak. Taste is similar, with plenty of aggressive hops rounded out by the oak. This is a wonderfully complex beer, with lots of flavors mingling harmoniously. I could drink this all night (or at least until the 10% ABV puts me on my ass). Definitely a top 10 beer for me and easily my favorite Dogfish offering. (935 characters)

Well this when opend had a really great fragrant aroma of the hops used to brew this master piece of a beer,the apperance of the beer has like a dark golden or coppery look to it,so after I pored the bottle into my traditional wide mouth glass and smelled it again I could really get the essance of why this beer to me is in a world class leauge for me,I picked up a toasty kinda rich carmely kind of tones from my second smell,taste is sinsational the carbonation is balanced very well,it feels real smooth on the palate,you truly can note that the beer from it being oak aged definetly has the taste of oak but not over powering,also I can tell when Dogfish Head Brewing says they use whenever possible organic and all natural barley hops and spices they do right here in Burton Buton,moutfeel is nice and smooth in around and on the way down no complaints,overall this beer does hold up to (WORLD CLASS) Standards!!! (919 characters)

Poured an amber color with a two inch head that falls into a lite lace around the edge. The smell was a piney with a hint of citrus. Tasted hoppy but finished with a taste a malt. I really liked this beer and dispite the price (which I understand) I will get again. (265 characters)

Pours a beautiful copper color with milky white head with decent carbonation upon the pour. Aromas of oak and maple, which also come through with the taste. The mouthfeel is not too thick, and this makes for the perfect autumn/winter beer. The hops come through strong, as does the alcohol, but the overall aftertaste is smooth and balanced. The aging in the oak of the two batches creates even more complexity in this brew, but doesn't have an overall woody taste. As for Double IPAs, this one is the best. This is also in my personal top 10 favorites, rating only behind Caldera's IPA. Dogfish head does it again! (622 characters)

This is my favorite beer, hands down. It first hits you with its imperial IPA taste, then your mouth quickly discovers the English ale malty flavor, the oak peeks through just enough, and then that 10% abv slight sting hits as you swallow it. For a 10% it's quite smooth. Just a rich, satisfying every time, brew. (316 characters)

Poured from a 12oz bottle @ cellar temperature (Bottled In: 2012 I 18:42...whatever that means) into a Brooklyn Brewery branded 14oz Libbey snifter glass.

A- Pours (due to bottle conditioning) a semi-hazy, deep orange with a substantial 2-1/2 finger, soapy, off-white head which dissipates a thin film on the surface. Although very minimal lacing, this beer does feature noticeable alcohol legs (no surprise with it clocking in @ 10% ABV).

S- Aroma is classic Dogfish Head IPA with a twist. The familiar apricot, orange and tangerine citrus notes are complimented by prominent vanilla esters. The warmer it is poured, the vanilla pops even more...Dogfish 90min IPA on steroids!

T- Sweet orange/tangerine at the front of the palate followed by some citrus rind bitterness. It finishes with a smooth, yet dry, woody finish... As the brew warms, a bit of tacky, pine resin and alcohol start to make their entrance.

M- Conservative carbonation promotes a very smooth, rich and creamy mouthfeel.

O- Nothing more to say but another winner from DH. As a matter of fact, this ranks as #1 for me from this brewery (with 75 Minute IPA ranking in at a close 2nd). Although the label suggests this beer can be aged, I would suggest imbibing this young so you can enjoy all of the hop aromas that are present. Run, don't walk and pick up a 4-pack for your own enjoyment...it's worth it.

Update: Burton Baton still ranks as one of (if not) the best DIPA's ever. I have now been enjoying it over two years and it is as consistent now as the first time I ever sampled it. However, I would caution those with fresh bottles to be conservative with your pour as to leave as much yeast in the bottle as possible. You will be awarded with a beer that is clearer, more hoppy and less 'bready' than if you decant the entire lot into your glass...last batch bottled-on date: 10/23/13 (1,866 characters)

Appearance: nice, normal Imperial IPA color, similar to the 90 minute. Nice frothy head. Retention held well.

Smell: On the nose, has a fruity, almost vanilla pineapple aroma. Very appealing. Reminds me of something I would like to keep in my house as an air freshener.

Taste: Very smooth on the tongue, with hints of vanilla and fruit. The wood it is aged on mellows it out, then you get a booze kick on the tongue at the end. And again, extremely smooth.

Mouth feel: Very smooth on the tongue. Not too bubbly. Light to medium body. Just smooth sailing once it enters your mouth. Not as wet as the 90 or 120 IPA, or most big beers. And once again, SMOOTH!

Overall: I think this beer is great. I am a big fan of DFH, but this is definitely one of my favorites I have had by them, and cannot wait to get more, to age and try side by side with a fresh one.

Glasswear: Bottle split into two Goblets. (905 characters)

Had this on tap at the Press Club.

Poured into a Dogfish head goblet.

Pours dark orange, brown with a fingers thick off white head and some solid lacing.

Smell is very similair to 90-min IPA.

Taste is ridiculous, like 90 min with the balance of malt and hops, but also a creamy, vanilla, and oak from the barrel aging. Medium, creamy body and mild carbonation.

This beer is unreal, one of my favorites I've ever had. I love 90 Minute and this takes that beer a step further with the barrel aging. (502 characters)

I may be being dramatic, but this blend of American beers (which have been 'pickled' If you will, in an oak barrel) may be the best American style beer I've had. Right away, after you open and taste, you get sweetness, and then bold strong ale that comes after. Not harsh, but smooth and subtle like good whiskey. I'm not one for imaginative fruits and spices, what I taste is craftsmanship. But there is a syrup/molasses scent emitting from my glass. A very rich, enjoyable aroma. I don't think there is another American style brew that can top this off. If you come across Burton Baton, buy it. IT'S Very, very, good. (619 characters)

The broes enticing review had my mouth watering for this one. The beer has a great dark copper-red color and modest head. Immediately I smelled hops and fresh malt. Big grapefruit hop smell. Surprising amount of carbonation that on second taste seems appropriate. This beer really has a woody element to it that reminds me of hickory smoked barbeque. The 90 Minute IPA has always been one of my favorites, but this may be a hair better. It becomes lighter on the pallette when it warms and the hops really "blossom." I think this might be my first five! Definitely going to age a few of these. (593 characters)

This beer is a mixture of 90 minute IPA and an English cask-aged ale to yield a double-IPA. Now I have to admit, I'm a huge fan of the 90 minute IPA. So, after full disclosure, I can safely say that this is one of the top ten beers I've ever sampled.

Poured from the tap as a burnt orange color with a tight, lacy head.

The hops were most discernible in the aromas, not so much in the taste, with scents of tropical fruits and peaches.

The taste was divine - a caramel overtone with hoppy, bitter undertones, all balanced to perfection. This beer is incredibly drinkable, especially considering the high alcohol content. One of the finest dogfish head beers I've ever had. (682 characters)

4.98/5  rDev +19.7%

A - Pours a rich, burnt caramel amber honey-orange. Forms 2 fingers of light honey yellow head. Whispy lacing left behind. Decent head retention.
S - Light faint notes of whisky, but mostly what you'd come to expect from an IPA. Citrus, hops, grapefruit, apples, oranges mangos and peaches.
T - Holy hell. This is the best "bourbon barrel aged" example I've ever tasted. Sweet buttery bourbon, maple, brown sugar, the whisky is full frontal and in your face. Expected IPA tastes follow in the development.
O - One of the best if not the best IPA I've ever drank.
V - Worth it at any price. (593 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +19.5%

This beer may not fit the elite stature for most people, but the more I drink of this beer the more I love it. The old ale blended with the IPA and aged in oak for a month is just perfect. I just had this after a Sierra Nevada Hoptimum(which I love) and the smoothness of Burton just kills it. All week I've had different beers and the oak and old ale/IPA just keep bringing me back to it. Easily my favorite DogFishHead to date and along w. Captain Lawrence Captains Reserve my favorite (relatively easy to get) east coast IPA's. Don't care who disagrees this is a great f'n beer. 95 or higher in my book. (606 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +19.5%

The hops aroma is evident the second I popped the cap. Pours a light amber color. Burton Baton has the familiar taste you'd expect from an IPA. At first, the oak flavor is quite subtle, but becomes more prominent after a while. It's surprisingly light and has a noticeable, but not overpowering bite. You'd never guess the ABV is nearly as high as it truly is. Great beer. I'd certainly buy it again! (400 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +19.5%

This review is based on a bottle, that I shipped myself from PA to CA. I've had the pleasure of having this on tap at the home bar in DE. This may be my favorite beer right now. If you love 90min IPA...like I do...grab this!

A = Thin head. Amber / ruby in color. Good lacing.

Smell = Heavenly! Sweet - lots going on - the way I like it.

Taste = Wonderful complexity. Sweetness and bitterness all in one.

M & D = God please help this beer gain distribution on the West Coast! (478 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +19.5%

This is the best tasting beer I've had this year. Or maybe ever.
It wasn't much to look at - but the nose - and the taste.
The beer had 2 things going on - you can clearly taste the 2 different brews: the IPA hoppyness, along with the English ale. Yet somehow the tastes merge, and then present themselves separately without conflicting.
This is a dangerous beer because I could drink this all day - and I'd probably regret that at 10%. (436 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +19%

Beautiful golden color with a nice full creamy head, nice slow bubbled active carbonation, and solid sheets of lace. Fruity, oaky, and hoppy aroma, a bit of vanilla and tobacco notes. Wonderful huge malt and hop flavors -- perfectly balanced with nuances of oak, spice, and vanilla. Full-medium bodied and only a bit of alcohol note on the finish.

Hands down the best balanced IIPA that I've ever tried. About as close to perfect as it gets !

Per Label: 10% ABV & "Oak Aged Imperial IPA" & "Two thread blend of young and wood aged IPA"

Per MJ notes:
Pilsner malt 95%, Crystal malt 3%, Amber malt 2%.
OG: 26.5P. ABV: 11%
Hops: Warrior and Glacier. Dry-hopped w/ Glacier.
American and English Ale Yeast.
Aged on on barrel staves of French oak for 4 months before blending 50/50 with 90 Minute imperial IPA (90 IBU , 9%ABV)
Post-blend it is 80 IBU and 10% ABV.
Bottle Conditioned.

November 2004 Rare Beer Club bottle
Tasted: 12/27/05

(25.6 oz. brown champagne style bottle, corked and caged) (1,014 characters)

Burton Baton from Dogfish Head Brewery