Burton Baton - Dogfish Head Brewery

Burton BatonBurton Baton

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: Todd on 12-08-2004

This oak-aged gentle giant has been gaining popularity over the past few years and is now available year-round.

For Burton Baton, we brew two "threads," or batches, of beer: an English-style old ale and an imperial IPA.

After fementating the beers separately in our stainless tanks, they're transferred and blended together in one of our large oak tanks. Burton Baton sits on the wood for about a month.

When enjoying the Burton Baton, you'll find an awesome blend of the citrus notes from Northwestern hops melding with woody, vanilla notes from the oak. The wood also tends to mellow the 10% ABV of Burton, so tread cautiously!

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Burton Baton Alström Bros
Ratings: 6,129 | Reviews: 1,813

Poured an amber color with a two inch head that falls into a lite lace around the edge. The smell was a piney with a hint of citrus. Tasted hoppy but finished with a taste a malt. I really liked this beer and dispite the price (which I understand) I will get again.

Best damn beer I've had thus far every thing about it is phenomnal. Flavor is out of this world.

Pours a beautiful copper color with milky white head with decent carbonation upon the pour. Aromas of oak and maple, which also come through with the taste. The mouthfeel is not too thick, and this makes for the perfect autumn/winter beer. The hops come through strong, as does the alcohol, but the overall aftertaste is smooth and balanced. The aging in the oak of the two batches creates even more complexity in this brew, but doesn't have an overall woody taste. As for Double IPAs, this one is the best. This is also in my personal top 10 favorites, rating only behind Caldera's IPA. Dogfish head does it again!

This is my favorite beer, hands down. It first hits you with its imperial IPA taste, then your mouth quickly discovers the English ale malty flavor, the oak peeks through just enough, and then that 10% abv slight sting hits as you swallow it. For a 10% it's quite smooth. Just a rich, satisfying every time, brew.

Poured from a 12oz bottle @ cellar temperature (Bottled In: 2012 I 18:42...whatever that means) into a Brooklyn Brewery branded 14oz Libbey snifter glass.

A- Pours (due to bottle conditioning) a semi-hazy, deep orange with a substantial 2-1/2 finger, soapy, off-white head which dissipates a thin film on the surface. Although very minimal lacing, this beer does feature noticeable alcohol legs (no surprise with it clocking in @ 10% ABV).

S- Aroma is classic Dogfish Head IPA with a twist. The familiar apricot, orange and tangerine citrus notes are complimented by prominent vanilla esters. The warmer it is poured, the vanilla pops even more...Dogfish 90min IPA on steroids!

T- Sweet orange/tangerine at the front of the palate followed by some citrus rind bitterness. It finishes with a smooth, yet dry, woody finish... As the brew warms, a bit of tacky, pine resin and alcohol start to make their entrance.

M- Conservative carbonation promotes a very smooth, rich and creamy mouthfeel.

O- Nothing more to say but another winner from DH. As a matter of fact, this ranks as #1 for me from this brewery (with 75 Minute IPA ranking in at a close 2nd). Although the label suggests this beer can be aged, I would suggest imbibing this young so you can enjoy all of the hop aromas that are present. Run, don't walk and pick up a 4-pack for your own enjoyment...it's worth it.

Update: Burton Baton still ranks as one of (if not) the best DIPA's ever. I have now been enjoying it over two years and it is as consistent now as the first time I ever sampled it. However, I would caution those with fresh bottles to be conservative with your pour as to leave as much yeast in the bottle as possible. You will be awarded with a beer that is clearer, more hoppy and less 'bready' than if you decant the entire lot into your glass...last batch bottled-on date: 10/23/13

Appearance: nice, normal Imperial IPA color, similar to the 90 minute. Nice frothy head. Retention held well.

Smell: On the nose, has a fruity, almost vanilla pineapple aroma. Very appealing. Reminds me of something I would like to keep in my house as an air freshener.

Taste: Very smooth on the tongue, with hints of vanilla and fruit. The wood it is aged on mellows it out, then you get a booze kick on the tongue at the end. And again, extremely smooth.

Mouth feel: Very smooth on the tongue. Not too bubbly. Light to medium body. Just smooth sailing once it enters your mouth. Not as wet as the 90 or 120 IPA, or most big beers. And once again, SMOOTH!

Overall: I think this beer is great. I am a big fan of DFH, but this is definitely one of my favorites I have had by them, and cannot wait to get more, to age and try side by side with a fresh one.

Glasswear: Bottle split into two Goblets.

Had this on tap at the Press Club.

Poured into a Dogfish head goblet.

Pours dark orange, brown with a fingers thick off white head and some solid lacing.

Smell is very similair to 90-min IPA.

Taste is ridiculous, like 90 min with the balance of malt and hops, but also a creamy, vanilla, and oak from the barrel aging. Medium, creamy body and mild carbonation.

This beer is unreal, one of my favorites I've ever had. I love 90 Minute and this takes that beer a step further with the barrel aging.

I may be being dramatic, but this blend of American beers (which have been 'pickled' If you will, in an oak barrel) may be the best American style beer I've had. Right away, after you open and taste, you get sweetness, and then bold strong ale that comes after. Not harsh, but smooth and subtle like good whiskey. I'm not one for imaginative fruits and spices, what I taste is craftsmanship. But there is a syrup/molasses scent emitting from my glass. A very rich, enjoyable aroma. I don't think there is another American style brew that can top this off. If you come across Burton Baton, buy it. IT'S Very, very, good.

The broes enticing review had my mouth watering for this one. The beer has a great dark copper-red color and modest head. Immediately I smelled hops and fresh malt. Big grapefruit hop smell. Surprising amount of carbonation that on second taste seems appropriate. This beer really has a woody element to it that reminds me of hickory smoked barbeque. The 90 Minute IPA has always been one of my favorites, but this may be a hair better. It becomes lighter on the pallette when it warms and the hops really "blossom." I think this might be my first five! Definitely going to age a few of these.

This beer is a mixture of 90 minute IPA and an English cask-aged ale to yield a double-IPA. Now I have to admit, I'm a huge fan of the 90 minute IPA. So, after full disclosure, I can safely say that this is one of the top ten beers I've ever sampled.

Poured from the tap as a burnt orange color with a tight, lacy head.

The hops were most discernible in the aromas, not so much in the taste, with scents of tropical fruits and peaches.

The taste was divine - a caramel overtone with hoppy, bitter undertones, all balanced to perfection. This beer is incredibly drinkable, especially considering the high alcohol content. One of the finest dogfish head beers I've ever had.

4.98/5  rDev +17.5%

A - Pours a rich, burnt caramel amber honey-orange. Forms 2 fingers of light honey yellow head. Whispy lacing left behind. Decent head retention.
S - Light faint notes of whisky, but mostly what you'd come to expect from an IPA. Citrus, hops, grapefruit, apples, oranges mangos and peaches.
T - Holy hell. This is the best "bourbon barrel aged" example I've ever tasted. Sweet buttery bourbon, maple, brown sugar, the whisky is full frontal and in your face. Expected IPA tastes follow in the development.
O - One of the best if not the best IPA I've ever drank.
V - Worth it at any price.

4.97/5  rDev +17.2%

This beer may not fit the elite stature for most people, but the more I drink of this beer the more I love it. The old ale blended with the IPA and aged in oak for a month is just perfect. I just had this after a Sierra Nevada Hoptimum(which I love) and the smoothness of Burton just kills it. All week I've had different beers and the oak and old ale/IPA just keep bringing me back to it. Easily my favorite DogFishHead to date and along w. Captain Lawrence Captains Reserve my favorite (relatively easy to get) east coast IPA's. Don't care who disagrees this is a great f'n beer. 95 or higher in my book.

4.97/5  rDev +17.2%

The hops aroma is evident the second I popped the cap. Pours a light amber color. Burton Baton has the familiar taste you'd expect from an IPA. At first, the oak flavor is quite subtle, but becomes more prominent after a while. It's surprisingly light and has a noticeable, but not overpowering bite. You'd never guess the ABV is nearly as high as it truly is. Great beer. I'd certainly buy it again!

4.97/5  rDev +17.2%

This review is based on a bottle, that I shipped myself from PA to CA. I've had the pleasure of having this on tap at the home bar in DE. This may be my favorite beer right now. If you love 90min IPA...like I do...grab this!

A = Thin head. Amber / ruby in color. Good lacing.

Smell = Heavenly! Sweet - lots going on - the way I like it.

Taste = Wonderful complexity. Sweetness and bitterness all in one.

M & D = God please help this beer gain distribution on the West Coast!

4.97/5  rDev +17.2%

This is the best tasting beer I've had this year. Or maybe ever.
It wasn't much to look at - but the nose - and the taste.
The beer had 2 things going on - you can clearly taste the 2 different brews: the IPA hoppyness, along with the English ale. Yet somehow the tastes merge, and then present themselves separately without conflicting.
This is a dangerous beer because I could drink this all day - and I'd probably regret that at 10%.

4.96/5  rDev +17%

The best damn beer out there. Period.

4.95/5  rDev +16.7%

Beautiful golden color with a nice full creamy head, nice slow bubbled active carbonation, and solid sheets of lace. Fruity, oaky, and hoppy aroma, a bit of vanilla and tobacco notes. Wonderful huge malt and hop flavors -- perfectly balanced with nuances of oak, spice, and vanilla. Full-medium bodied and only a bit of alcohol note on the finish.

Hands down the best balanced IIPA that I've ever tried. About as close to perfect as it gets !

Per Label: 10% ABV & "Oak Aged Imperial IPA" & "Two thread blend of young and wood aged IPA"

Per MJ notes:
Pilsner malt 95%, Crystal malt 3%, Amber malt 2%.
OG: 26.5P. ABV: 11%
Hops: Warrior and Glacier. Dry-hopped w/ Glacier.
American and English Ale Yeast.
Aged on on barrel staves of French oak for 4 months before blending 50/50 with 90 Minute imperial IPA (90 IBU , 9%ABV)
Post-blend it is 80 IBU and 10% ABV.
Bottle Conditioned.

November 2004 Rare Beer Club bottle
Tasted: 12/27/05

(25.6 oz. brown champagne style bottle, corked and caged)

4.94/5  rDev +16.5%

A blend of a barleywine and an IIPA. It takes the strengths of each and synergistically synthesizes them into something that is greater than the some of its parts.

4.92/5  rDev +16%

Recommended by my local craft distributor - 4 pack of bottles. Poured one into my Dogfish snifter.
Appearance - Pours a deep cloudy copper - minimal head but lacing last throughout.
Aroma - Malty character jumps out here - Freshly baked muffins comes to mind first. Hints of citrus.
Taste - Oak aging is distinct. Malt balanced with slightly bitter hops. Alcohol almost totally masked. Beautiful.
Mouthfeel is very smooth with a slight alc. burn due to content but not overwhelming.
Drinkability - This one goes to #1 on my DIPA list. I've always been a fan of their 90 minute but this goes above and beyond anything from them or anyone else. I may need a second job to support this addiction.

DFH Burton Baton

A- 4.5 cloudy and amber with light tan head
S- 5.0 hoppy with lemon and oak coming through
T- 5.0 reminds me of the 90 good hop flavor and slight acidity, everything working well together. Then you get this great oak finish that lingers wonderfully
M- 4.5 nice and crisp with pretty strong carbonation given the abv
D- 5.0 high abv at 10% but I barely notice it in the taste, just a great beer

DFH 90 min was my favorite beer before this one. Burton Baton just adds more to a great thing, adding a new dimension of flavor with the great oak finish. Go out and buy this beer and enjoy it. The only problem with this beer is the price, almost $20 for a pack of four, about double the price of the 90 min. Is it great? Yes. Is it an extra $10 great? Unfortunately no. I will continue to enjoy DFH 90min and Stone IPA as my go to beers, but I will have a special place in my heart for this great brew.

Enjoy!

4.92/5  rDev +16%

This is an example of an Imperial IPA, or India Pale Ale. Essentially this is an IPA all juiced up. The style often have double the hops and malt, creating an even more bitter taste. Some Imperials are more balanced between the hops and malt, giving it a clean, crisp, bitter hop finish, but with a balanced sweet malt taste. Much higher in alcohol than a standard IPA. Dogfish Head takes a twist on this by blending of an oak-aged English strong ale and their 90 Minute I.P.A.

This poured nicely into a pint glass, with a light copper/reddish tone and producing a medium amount of foam. The nice amount of carbonation may be the culprit for the foam, but either way it left a thin but nice lacing on the glass.

The aroma was a very nice citrus, mixed with a wonderful floral aroma, almost that of mountain wildflowers. Slightly piny, although I think this can be attributed to the the floral aroma.The malt really does balance this nicely, but still retain a bitter hop finish.

The taste was very nice. The bitter hop I smelled really comes out, enhancing the sweetness of the malt balance. Somewhat a contridiction perhaps, as some imperials are extremely bitter with no attempt at balance, and others loose the bitter while having complete balance. The alcohol taste is there more on the back end and can sneak up.

Mouthfeel is good. Very crisp, sweet and goes down smooth.

I liked this one. I've had it before and always enjoyed it. It paired nicely with the grilled chicken fajitas with Monterrey Jack cheese I had. The bitter hops balanced and complimented the cheese. With a 10% ABV, take it slow, but enjoy and have another!

4.92/5  rDev +16%

Color is a nice copper, a little more on the yellow side at the sides of the glass. It has a thick head that sticks at about a half inch throughout the entire drink. Plenty of carbonation, but nothing obnoxious. If I had to change something about the beer, I'd make the color a little darker, but not by much.

I like this smell because not only do you get a fruity/floral hop aroma, you also get the oak and malt.

Taste is perfect IMHO. Tons of malt, some alcohol, oak and a residual hop bitterness. I don't notice so much hop flavor, but you get hit with more than enough hop aroma while drinking it. Also, the thing I really like about this, is the taste is felt from the tip of your lips all the way to the back of your sinuses.

The mouthfeel is a little oily, as you'd expect with a malty 10%. It could be a little more crisp, I guess.

This beer is incredibly drinkable, I would even say "dangerously" drinkable. If it wasn't for the fact that beer makes you drunk, and IIPAs make your really drunk, I could drink a 12 pack of these in a sitting.

4.92/5  rDev +16%

Bottled on 06/08/12. Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a 14 oz snifter.

Appearance: Orangish amber color, cloudy and opaque. I would have preferred more clarity from this beer. Quarter inch of white head dissipates fairly quickly. Good lacing, especially after I swirled the snifter to pull out more aroma.

Aroma: Vanilla, orange zest, sourdough bread. Compelling - once I smell this, I can't wait to drink it.

Mouthfeel: Medium carbonation and medium body. Perfectly suitable to the style.

Taste: Oak tannins combine with the orange and sourdough from the nose. The oak aging is distinctly noticeable and enjoyable, not overpowering. A very pleasant sweetness blends perfectly with subtle tartness and bitterness. No puckering and no astringency. Just a hint of alcohol heat.

Overall: Excellent balance of sweet, tart, and bitter with delicious complexity from the oak aging. One of my absolute favorite beers.

4.91/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Absolutely delightful beer. Citrus, vanilla, and woody nose. Not too oaky and very smooth. It didn't taste at all boozy to me despite the impressive 10%abv.

4.9/5  rDev +15.6%

Bottled on 10/16/09
Reviewed 11/17/09

A: Pours a nice deep copper color with a small but ample sticky looking white head with nice sticky lacing too.

S: Big pungent piney hops with a subtle oakiness lingering underneath. Nice soapy hoppy DIPA aroma.

T: Mirrors the nose. Soapy, piney, sticky, and hoppy. The woodiness is calm in comparison to the malt and hoppiness going on but still enough to add a nice layer of complexity to the brew.

M: Big medium feel with plenty of carbonation. Nice slick oiliness left in my mouth.

D: I really thought about a 5 on this one. This is definitely one of my favorite DIPAs to date and I'm glad I finally took the time to review it. I only bought 2 and am working on my second one now. When I grab more, if I can go through all 4 in a sitting and not be outside talking to woodland creatures I'll be sure to change this to a 5!

Burton Baton from Dogfish Head Brewery