2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Burton Baton - Dogfish Head Brewery

Burton BatonBurton Baton

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

This oak-aged gentle giant has been gaining popularity over the past few years and is now available year-round.

For Burton Baton, we brew two "threads," or batches, of beer: an English-style old ale and an imperial IPA.

After fementating the beers separately in our stainless tanks, they're transferred and blended together in one of our large oak tanks. Burton Baton sits on the wood for about a month.

When enjoying the Burton Baton, you'll find an awesome blend of the citrus notes from Northwestern hops melding with woody, vanilla notes from the oak. The wood also tends to mellow the 10% ABV of Burton, so tread cautiously!

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-08-2004)
View: Beers (138) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Burton Baton Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,759 | Reviews: 1,670 | Show All Ratings:
dpgoblejr

New Hampshire

4.95/5  rDev +17%

Poured a 12oz bottle into a snifter glass. Caramel-orange color with a slight off-white head that quickly retreats with virtually no lacing along the glass. Wow, this is one smooth hopped-up high ABV brew! The oak-aged properties are obviously in play with this beer. Yes, the alcohol content is 10% but hardly noticeable among the citrus, oak and spice aroma. The taste appeared to be citrus, pine, some spices, and something else; not quite sure. There was an almost thick-like mouth feel with a creamy finish on the palate. Personally, for me, as the beer rose in temperature I enjoyed it even more. Again, Dogfish Head has amazed me with their ability to concoct an amazing craft beer!

03-12-2014 22:13:53 | More by dpgoblejr
Celt44

4.93/5  rDev +16.5%

Recommended by my local craft distributor - 4 pack of bottles. Poured one into my Dogfish snifter.
Appearance - Pours a deep cloudy copper - minimal head but lacing last throughout.
Aroma - Malty character jumps out here - Freshly baked muffins comes to mind first. Hints of citrus.
Taste - Oak aging is distinct. Malt balanced with slightly bitter hops. Alcohol almost totally masked. Beautiful.
Mouthfeel is very smooth with a slight alc. burn due to content but not overwhelming.
Drinkability - This one goes to #1 on my DIPA list. I've always been a fan of their 90 minute but this goes above and beyond anything from them or anyone else. I may need a second job to support this addiction.

04-16-2008 21:29:40 | More by Celt44
RuinationPress

4.93/5  rDev +16.5%

This is an example of an Imperial IPA, or India Pale Ale. Essentially this is an IPA all juiced up. The style often have double the hops and malt, creating an even more bitter taste. Some Imperials are more balanced between the hops and malt, giving it a clean, crisp, bitter hop finish, but with a balanced sweet malt taste. Much higher in alcohol than a standard IPA. Dogfish Head takes a twist on this by blending of an oak-aged English strong ale and their 90 Minute I.P.A.

This poured nicely into a pint glass, with a light copper/reddish tone and producing a medium amount of foam. The nice amount of carbonation may be the culprit for the foam, but either way it left a thin but nice lacing on the glass.

The aroma was a very nice citrus, mixed with a wonderful floral aroma, almost that of mountain wildflowers. Slightly piny, although I think this can be attributed to the the floral aroma.The malt really does balance this nicely, but still retain a bitter hop finish.

The taste was very nice. The bitter hop I smelled really comes out, enhancing the sweetness of the malt balance. Somewhat a contridiction perhaps, as some imperials are extremely bitter with no attempt at balance, and others loose the bitter while having complete balance. The alcohol taste is there more on the back end and can sneak up.

Mouthfeel is good. Very crisp, sweet and goes down smooth.

I liked this one. I've had it before and always enjoyed it. It paired nicely with the grilled chicken fajitas with Monterrey Jack cheese I had. The bitter hops balanced and complimented the cheese. With a 10% ABV, take it slow, but enjoy and have another!

10-18-2009 07:19:11 | More by RuinationPress
parris

4.93/5  rDev +16.5%

Color is a nice copper, a little more on the yellow side at the sides of the glass. It has a thick head that sticks at about a half inch throughout the entire drink. Plenty of carbonation, but nothing obnoxious. If I had to change something about the beer, I'd make the color a little darker, but not by much.

I like this smell because not only do you get a fruity/floral hop aroma, you also get the oak and malt.

Taste is perfect IMHO. Tons of malt, some alcohol, oak and a residual hop bitterness. I don't notice so much hop flavor, but you get hit with more than enough hop aroma while drinking it. Also, the thing I really like about this, is the taste is felt from the tip of your lips all the way to the back of your sinuses.

The mouthfeel is a little oily, as you'd expect with a malty 10%. It could be a little more crisp, I guess.

This beer is incredibly drinkable, I would even say "dangerously" drinkable. If it wasn't for the fact that beer makes you drunk, and IIPAs make your really drunk, I could drink a 12 pack of these in a sitting.

04-08-2010 23:01:38 | More by parris
BizzyQU

DFH Burton Baton

A- 4.5 cloudy and amber with light tan head
S- 5.0 hoppy with lemon and oak coming through
T- 5.0 reminds me of the 90 good hop flavor and slight acidity, everything working well together. Then you get this great oak finish that lingers wonderfully
M- 4.5 nice and crisp with pretty strong carbonation given the abv
D- 5.0 high abv at 10% but I barely notice it in the taste, just a great beer

DFH 90 min was my favorite beer before this one. Burton Baton just adds more to a great thing, adding a new dimension of flavor with the great oak finish. Go out and buy this beer and enjoy it. The only problem with this beer is the price, almost $20 for a pack of four, about double the price of the 90 min. Is it great? Yes. Is it an extra $10 great? Unfortunately no. I will continue to enjoy DFH 90min and Stone IPA as my go to beers, but I will have a special place in my heart for this great brew.

Enjoy!

02-09-2011 03:25:00 | More by BizzyQU
MarriedAtGI

4.93/5  rDev +16.5%

Bottled on 06/08/12. Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a 14 oz snifter.

Appearance: Orangish amber color, cloudy and opaque. I would have preferred more clarity from this beer. Quarter inch of white head dissipates fairly quickly. Good lacing, especially after I swirled the snifter to pull out more aroma.

Aroma: Vanilla, orange zest, sourdough bread. Compelling - once I smell this, I can't wait to drink it.

Mouthfeel: Medium carbonation and medium body. Perfectly suitable to the style.

Taste: Oak tannins combine with the orange and sourdough from the nose. The oak aging is distinctly noticeable and enjoyable, not overpowering. A very pleasant sweetness blends perfectly with subtle tartness and bitterness. No puckering and no astringency. Just a hint of alcohol heat.

Overall: Excellent balance of sweet, tart, and bitter with delicious complexity from the oak aging. One of my absolute favorite beers.

05-11-2013 00:11:36 | More by MarriedAtGI
SheepNutz

Kentucky

4.9/5  rDev +15.8%

12oz. bottle poured into a snifter. It pours a light copper color with one finger of head. There's a touch of lacing left on the glass. The smell is very unique. It has a lot of earthy aromas and a good amount of charred wood character. Tons of hoppiness as well. The taste is simply amazing. Sweet pale malt up front, with some caramel sweetness. Then it's taken over by wood flavors and a slight hint of orange peel. A nice hoppy finish rounds it out. Not a hint of alcohol in sight. The mouthfeel is very thick and heavy, yet smooth. The drinkability is murderous. A fantastic brew.

03-05-2005 01:26:08 | More by SheepNutz
drgonzo3705

Bottled on 10/16/09
Reviewed 11/17/09

A: Pours a nice deep copper color with a small but ample sticky looking white head with nice sticky lacing too.

S: Big pungent piney hops with a subtle oakiness lingering underneath. Nice soapy hoppy DIPA aroma.

T: Mirrors the nose. Soapy, piney, sticky, and hoppy. The woodiness is calm in comparison to the malt and hoppiness going on but still enough to add a nice layer of complexity to the brew.

M: Big medium feel with plenty of carbonation. Nice slick oiliness left in my mouth.

D: I really thought about a 5 on this one. This is definitely one of my favorite DIPAs to date and I'm glad I finally took the time to review it. I only bought 2 and am working on my second one now. When I grab more, if I can go through all 4 in a sitting and not be outside talking to woodland creatures I'll be sure to change this to a 5!

11-18-2009 00:34:29 | More by drgonzo3705
beerman061587

4.9/5  rDev +15.8%

im usually more descriptive in my beer evaluations but this is just stunning, one of the most well crafted brews ive ever tasted,
its has such a rich flavor and a savory finish, ive had great beers like founders kbs and i feel this beer has so many close notes to a kbs, an ipa with the depth of flavor a stout can only provide until now, world class brew!!!!

06-08-2011 03:46:34 | More by beerman061587
hmich176

4.9/5  rDev +15.8%

I picked this up at the local Wegmans in Mechanicsburg, PA. I love everything about this beer. The appearance, taste and mouthfeel are absolutely top notch. It pours a nice gold, brown color with a nice white head. The lacing on the bottle is a nice bonus. You really pick up the sweet, hearty flavors on the nose, and get the oak flavor in the taste. For a 10 percenter, there was absolutely no booziness to it; if you didn't read the label, you'd never know this was that high a percentage. It's very well balanced and just a satisfying brew.

Overall, this is one of my favorite IPAs, easily.

10-04-2013 06:08:55 | More by hmich176
CDAtkinson

Maryland

4.89/5  rDev +15.6%

A: The beer poured a rust colored orange chrome, with lively carbonation dancing about in fine bubbles.

S: Pine and citrus.

T: Banana, spice, peppers. I concur on the french toast that "Lambic Petumeter" noted. There was even a note of banana smoothie at the end. Wonderful.

M: Creamy, smooth, but shaped by spritzy acidity.

O: This may be the finest imperial IPA I have had the pleasure to taste.

03-08-2014 18:34:25 | More by CDAtkinson
WVbeergeek

4.88/5  rDev +15.4%

Talk about a value buy $2.50 a piece at my local sixpack shop. Appears a copper amber with a fluffy cream colored head leaves lacing all around my chalice, very nice look to it. Aroma has deep leafy citrus pine scented hops alcohol presence is noticeable vinous green hops, Sam and Co. have truly tamed the hop it brings layers of grapefruit and other tart fruit notes along with the oak presence with evident sugary caramel malt. Smells of candy coated hops syrupy alcohol over ripened fruit tones. Taste has a complex orgy of malts, hops and complex characteristics from oak barrel aging giving this one a mellow charred oak vanilla character and the hops have a citrus, pine, and earthy dirt qualities sugary malts matched with the more than ample bitterness finishes with a just a cinge of acohol...one quality creation. Mouthfeel is fuller bodied syrupy textured with oily resinous streaks coming through the lucious body is handled with an even carbonation which flows surprisingly smoothly along the palate. Drinkability is amazing...one extreme IPA very solid tasty offering great flavor that keeps you wanting more and more, well done I'm sold on this Woody Guthrie tribute brew.

02-08-2006 22:24:13 | More by WVbeergeek
TheBungyo

Washington

4.88/5  rDev +15.4%

I don't know if I could write a bad review of this beer if my life depended on it. I've been meaning to try this forever but am only now doing so. Pour is heartstoppingly beautiful scarlett orange. Tiny nappy head and little lacing. Nose is cognac, fruit, and warm caramel. This reminds me of Sierra Nevada's Bigfoot Barleywine ... on steroids. Mouth is thick and viscous. I LOVE this beer, which is easily the best DFH beer I've ever had. Do NOT drink this if you lust for a double IPA, do so if you'd like a Barleywine. It will hit the spot and make all but the greatest it's BITCH.

05-28-2006 07:49:36 | More by TheBungyo
RockyTopHeel

4.88/5  rDev +15.4%

12 oz. bottle imprinted "Bottled on 03/30/09." Four pack I plan to age and add reviews over time.

Bottle 1: review date: 4/27/09 (1 month past bottling)
Dark amber-brown in color with a quickly dissipating off white head. Aroma of hops, caramel, bourbon-oak. First sip is smooth and bubbly and delicious. Refined hops flavor is strong well balanced by the slightly sweet caramel-vanilla from the oak aging. Nice bite from the hops melds into a smooth finish. Imminently drinkable for a 10% ABV beer. Oh holy crap, this is delicious. 4.5/4.5/5.0/5.0/5.0

Bottle 2: review date: 7/28/09 (4 months past bottling)
Similar appearance to the original review, complete with the rapidly disappearing head. Aromas are a little subdued, with slightly less vanilla-caramel and more clean, piney hops. Still imminently drinkable and delicious, but only slightly mellowed over the past 3 months. I stand by my original ratings of 4.5/4.5/5.0/5.0/5.0.

Bottle 3: review date: 4/14/10 (1 year past bottling)
Orange-amber in color and still full of carbonation (bottle actually bubbled over upon opening), with a big, pillowy beige head. Aroma of vanilla, toasted oak, and caramel, with hops in the background. Hops have faded into the background, replaced by vanilla, bourbon, caramel, and molasses. Mellow, but still bold and sticky-sweet. This aged very, very well and is a very different experience than the first bottle. I gave away my fourth bottle, so this is my last review for this batch. It's lost a little bit from the original, so I'll rate the aged bottle 4.5/4.5/4.5/5.0/5.0.

04-28-2009 01:54:04 | More by RockyTopHeel
KickbacksSteve

4.88/5  rDev +15.4%

Poured from bottle into Unibroue tulip. Bottle is 3.5 months old. Amazing aroma of fresh hops and sweet aged malts combined into one of the best smelling beers on earth. When other people drink this beer, I ask them if I can have the bottle after its empty so I can smell it from time to time to motivate me, knowing I can drink one at the end of the night. For a special treat, you can leave one ounce of beer in the bottle and put it in your car in the hot sun for a few hours. Makes a great air freshener...seriously. Love it at any age, fresh or old, love it warm, love it cold. Basically a combination of my favorite two styles...double IPA and aged strong ale. In my opinion, Burton is one of the best beers ever made, maybe THE best.

10-02-2009 06:37:23 | More by KickbacksSteve
Thickfreakness

4.88/5  rDev +15.4%

A- Poured into a Tulip glass, the two finger creamy foam head lingers leaving sticky goodness all around. Beautiful copper color...

S- Bright fresh piney hops and grapefruit with underlying subtle smokey wood notes... very mellow... puts me at ease like a nice burning candle.

T- Like grapefruit mixed with vanilla or something... unusual but outstanding! Very creamy finish on the tongue after an assult of citrus and hops with the first sip. Coats your tongue like honeysuckles... Just a touch of alcohol bite from this 10%'er... I am yet again impressed by Dogfish Head!

M- I havent had another sip in about 5 mins... and the caramel/oak flavors are still lingering, as well as the sharpness of the hops. I think I'm in love! :-)

D- If this weren't $14 a 4-pack, I could drink this everyday! Makes me wish this NY winter was over already so that I could be sitting out in the sun grilling!

01-23-2011 04:42:51 | More by Thickfreakness
Arithmeticus

Maryland

4.88/5  rDev +15.4%

Poured in a tall ale glass, cellar temperature; aged 2 years! I can't wait...

A: cloudy dirty orange; very respectable head
S: burnished hops, citrus; very fragrant
T: oh my, what a great flavor; robust IPA with the oak flavor prominent; brings the IPA toward a scotch ale and barleywine; bitter with very strong, widespread hop profile
M: nothing special, but that's not why you'd buy this beer

Amazing, and yes I recommend aging it

04-25-2011 03:06:50 | More by Arithmeticus
jonrx

4.88/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

To me, this is one of the best beers on the market right now. Dogfish Head always impressed me with everything they put out, and Burton has been growing in popularity (rightfully so!).

I'm posting this review about the last time I had it -- at their brew pub and on tap.

The oak aging process that this beer goes through really does wonders. I've had a lot of oak aged products from other brewers in the past, and most of the time they end up just being OK.

This is a hell of an IPA, though. The beer itself (even without the oak aging) would be great. But you add in that oak touch and it just sets this beer off from the rest of the pack. Honestly, I could drink this alone for the rest of my life and live in bliss.

Interesting to note is that the beer is a lot heavier than you'd think by looking at it. It's super sticky once it dries in the glass and is not something you can pound at all. I mean, that's true of a lot of IPAs, but Burton even more-so.

09-22-2013 03:22:57 | More by jonrx
goodbyeohio

Oregon

4.85/5  rDev +14.7%

btld 12/29/05, lets call it the 06 version.

looks cool.. crystal clear reddish amber distorting other-side images with curvaceous density. slightest ring imaginable surrounding the surface.

aroma eminating from this beer is supremely divine. those 90 minute hops are here, fresher. the vanilla and oak are in the atmosphere. slightly floral. fresh-picked tobacco leaf and something slightly leathery contribute to the nose. it also has this strangely appealing roasty smell that i attribute to the interior of a busy starbucks. overall, the scent of this beer screams luxury. this is what dogfish strives for, and aromawise with 2006 burton baton they have freaking nailed it.

tastes great too.. sweet malts mingle with piney hops, accented nicely and NOT overwhelmingly by the wood character. slight smokiness left in the finish allows full enjoyment of the complex flavor even with smaller sips. bitterness is big but not chalky or damning to the flavor profile. the hops are in top shape here and surprisingly restrained.

overall, this is one of DFH's master creations.. a heartfelt lesson in both balanced restraint and luxurious excess. i hope this beer stays on the roster for a long time. i'll be buying 4-packs every year until i'm six feet underground- me and the guy on the label.

01-21-2006 04:59:59 | More by goodbyeohio
Photo of

4.85/5  rDev +14.7%

i first bought this as a single on a whim. what a treat this is. the first beer i have ever had that i was sad when the glass was empty, i did not want it to end. so i went back to the beer store and bought all they had left. ehehehehe over a case and a half. i am aging a few and working on a few on special occasions. this is the nectar from the gods.

11-27-2010 01:01:06 | More by
LadyOfMuchBeer

4.85/5  rDev +14.7%

12 oz bottle poured into my DFH pint glass.

Appearance-pours clear brown orange, color matches the color on the label. Full inch of tan head, great retention. Steady stream of visible carbonation.

Smell-fruity, hoppy, spicy. Smell doesn't do this one justice.

Taste-This is what it means to fall in love all over again! orange peel, perfect balance of malts and hops, something organic in there, very clover-ish. Alcohol taste is present.

Mouth-feel; slight tart/sour/bitter, yet smooth and creamy. Feels as complex as it tastes.

Overall- I could drink this one all day, if this were readily available and slightly less expensive, I could have a relationship with this beer.

08-26-2011 02:11:30 | More by LadyOfMuchBeer
Fusion_Pirate

4.85/5  rDev +14.7%

While I'm a big fan of Dogfish Head's much-lauded 60- and 90-Minute IPAs, this is my first crack at their oak-aged hybrid, 'Burton Baton'.

A: Carefully poured into a weizen glass, Burton Baton yielded a good finger and 1/2 of head which died gradually over 5 or so minutes, leaving some impressive lacing on the glass. Color is a rich, deep amber/caramel that screams "Taste me already, damn it!"

S: Scent is HOPPY HOPPY HOPPY with a healthy side of pine needles. Just the way I like my IIPAs!

T: The hops are the theme of the day; with each sip comes a hop-rush that shoots directly to my brain! With continued sips (and as the beer warms), the hops are partnered with overtones of malt, woodiness/oakiness and a slight floral bouquet. Sublime!

M: Mild carbonation, smooth and dry flow across the tongue, just as any good IIPA should be. Despite the 10% ABV and IBU rating of 70, you don't get that tongue-twisting, face-contorting effect, even with generously-sized imbibations.

O: If I was stuck on a desert isle with my choice of one beer for the rest of my life, this would definitely be a serious contender. Magnifique.

07-22-2012 22:09:07 | More by Fusion_Pirate
Mdez

4.85/5  rDev +14.7%

I've been drinking this for a few years and, for whatever reasons, I've never reviewed it.

I feel this is one of the best IPAs/Double IPAs out there; it looks great, has a solid head, smells wonderful, has a smooth consistent oaked flavor with no odd quirks as you're raising the glass/bottle for the next gulp. I tried this after a had a few Dogfish 90s and couldn't believe it was that much better than the 90.

I also like the fact I can get all Dogfish beers for slightly under retail at the brewery and, since it's in tax-free Delaware, not pay any taxes on the case or two I get when I'm nearby. Very nice!

A great beer; my favorite right now although I'm still looking around. It's also one of the few beers that my 86-year old father loves; he tasted one I was having and wouldn't give the thing back!

09-03-2012 21:07:16 | More by Mdez
ALESwhatCURESya

Wisconsin

4.83/5  rDev +14.2%

Bottle from friend who is member of MJ Rare Beer Club

A -beautiful shiny copper body with very clear appearance. Head was insane! Fluffy white cloud just stuck to everything.

S- As soon as the cork popped, the sourness of the oak blended with the huge hop bouquet was unforgettable. A cotton candy smell was followed perfectly by the splendid funkiness that was evident from the oak aging.

T- A one-of-a-kind taste that was a terrific blend of bitterness, oakiness, and malt. The alcohol was nicely hidden, but warmed the body.

M- Incredibly smooth, with the sourness just perfect. High abv was hardly noticed.

D- Although not your typical everyday beer, it was a phenomenal experience and one of the most unique brews I have had the pleasure of trying. Any DIPA fan should seek this out!

09-25-2006 16:54:40 | More by ALESwhatCURESya
CampusCrew

4.83/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This is one to savor!

appearance: golden, amber, reddish

smell: loaded and more loaded hops and citrus aroma

taste: this beer is loaded with hops. very solid double with heavy grapefruit flavor and I loved the oak flavor from the aging. it was a very noticable difference

mouthfeel: good carbonation and drinks thin

drinkability: very easy and smooth. very pricey though.

06-20-2009 02:19:40 | More by CampusCrew