Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Burton Baton - Dogfish Head Brewery

Burton BatonBurton Baton

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: Todd on 12-08-2004

This oak-aged gentle giant has been gaining popularity over the past few years and is now available year-round.

For Burton Baton, we brew two "threads," or batches, of beer: an English-style old ale and an imperial IPA.

After fementating the beers separately in our stainless tanks, they're transferred and blended together in one of our large oak tanks. Burton Baton sits on the wood for about a month.

When enjoying the Burton Baton, you'll find an awesome blend of the citrus notes from Northwestern hops melding with woody, vanilla notes from the oak. The wood also tends to mellow the 10% ABV of Burton, so tread cautiously!

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Burton Baton Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,801 | Hads: 6,232

The broes enticing review had my mouth watering for this one. The beer has a great dark copper-red color and modest head. Immediately I smelled hops and fresh malt. Big grapefruit hop smell. Surprising amount of carbonation that on second taste seems appropriate. This beer really has a woody element to it that reminds me of hickory smoked barbeque. The 90 Minute IPA has always been one of my favorites, but this may be a hair better. It becomes lighter on the pallette when it warms and the hops really "blossom." I think this might be my first five! Definitely going to age a few of these.

This beer is a mixture of 90 minute IPA and an English cask-aged ale to yield a double-IPA. Now I have to admit, I'm a huge fan of the 90 minute IPA. So, after full disclosure, I can safely say that this is one of the top ten beers I've ever sampled.

Poured from the tap as a burnt orange color with a tight, lacy head.

The hops were most discernible in the aromas, not so much in the taste, with scents of tropical fruits and peaches.

The taste was divine - a caramel overtone with hoppy, bitter undertones, all balanced to perfection. This beer is incredibly drinkable, especially considering the high alcohol content. One of the finest dogfish head beers I've ever had.

4.98/5  rDev +19.1%

A - Pours a rich, burnt caramel amber honey-orange. Forms 2 fingers of light honey yellow head. Whispy lacing left behind. Decent head retention.
S - Light faint notes of whisky, but mostly what you'd come to expect from an IPA. Citrus, hops, grapefruit, apples, oranges mangos and peaches.
T - Holy hell. This is the best "bourbon barrel aged" example I've ever tasted. Sweet buttery bourbon, maple, brown sugar, the whisky is full frontal and in your face. Expected IPA tastes follow in the development.
O - One of the best if not the best IPA I've ever drank.
V - Worth it at any price.

4.97/5  rDev +18.9%

This beer may not fit the elite stature for most people, but the more I drink of this beer the more I love it. The old ale blended with the IPA and aged in oak for a month is just perfect. I just had this after a Sierra Nevada Hoptimum(which I love) and the smoothness of Burton just kills it. All week I've had different beers and the oak and old ale/IPA just keep bringing me back to it. Easily my favorite DogFishHead to date and along w. Captain Lawrence Captains Reserve my favorite (relatively easy to get) east coast IPA's. Don't care who disagrees this is a great f'n beer. 95 or higher in my book.

4.97/5  rDev +18.9%

The hops aroma is evident the second I popped the cap. Pours a light amber color. Burton Baton has the familiar taste you'd expect from an IPA. At first, the oak flavor is quite subtle, but becomes more prominent after a while. It's surprisingly light and has a noticeable, but not overpowering bite. You'd never guess the ABV is nearly as high as it truly is. Great beer. I'd certainly buy it again!

4.97/5  rDev +18.9%

This review is based on a bottle, that I shipped myself from PA to CA. I've had the pleasure of having this on tap at the home bar in DE. This may be my favorite beer right now. If you love 90min IPA...like I do...grab this!

A = Thin head. Amber / ruby in color. Good lacing.

Smell = Heavenly! Sweet - lots going on - the way I like it.

Taste = Wonderful complexity. Sweetness and bitterness all in one.

M & D = God please help this beer gain distribution on the West Coast!

4.97/5  rDev +18.9%

This is the best tasting beer I've had this year. Or maybe ever.
It wasn't much to look at - but the nose - and the taste.
The beer had 2 things going on - you can clearly taste the 2 different brews: the IPA hoppyness, along with the English ale. Yet somehow the tastes merge, and then present themselves separately without conflicting.
This is a dangerous beer because I could drink this all day - and I'd probably regret that at 10%.

4.95/5  rDev +18.4%

Beautiful golden color with a nice full creamy head, nice slow bubbled active carbonation, and solid sheets of lace. Fruity, oaky, and hoppy aroma, a bit of vanilla and tobacco notes. Wonderful huge malt and hop flavors -- perfectly balanced with nuances of oak, spice, and vanilla. Full-medium bodied and only a bit of alcohol note on the finish.

Hands down the best balanced IIPA that I've ever tried. About as close to perfect as it gets !

Per Label: 10% ABV & "Oak Aged Imperial IPA" & "Two thread blend of young and wood aged IPA"

Per MJ notes:
Pilsner malt 95%, Crystal malt 3%, Amber malt 2%.
OG: 26.5P. ABV: 11%
Hops: Warrior and Glacier. Dry-hopped w/ Glacier.
American and English Ale Yeast.
Aged on on barrel staves of French oak for 4 months before blending 50/50 with 90 Minute imperial IPA (90 IBU , 9%ABV)
Post-blend it is 80 IBU and 10% ABV.
Bottle Conditioned.

November 2004 Rare Beer Club bottle
Tasted: 12/27/05

(25.6 oz. brown champagne style bottle, corked and caged)

4.94/5  rDev +18.2%

A blend of a barleywine and an IIPA. It takes the strengths of each and synergistically synthesizes them into something that is greater than the some of its parts.

4.94/5  rDev +18.2%

Poured into an imperial pint glass at ~50F. Burnt orange amber and 3 fingers of creamy off white head that dwindles to a rich and creamy half finger cap. Lacing covers roughly half of the whole glass above the beer. It has a kind of glossy look about it... really nice, high quality stuff.

Smell is kind of quiet, but I get mainly vanilla and caramel candy and a hint of damp, dank citrus hoppiness.

Taste is creamy burnt caramel that turns into hoppy bitter over ripe dark citrus. Very unique flavors shine easily yet are blended extremely well. Definitely has epic depth and character from the aging.

Mouth feel is smooth, viscous, silky, and full bodied, with 10% ABV hidden deep down in there very tactfully... Very well done.

Overall I wish I had an endless supply of this stuff, but at $16 a four pack, it will have to be a go-to for special occasions only. This is probably my favorite brew from Dogfish Head.

4.92/5  rDev +17.7%

Recommended by my local craft distributor - 4 pack of bottles. Poured one into my Dogfish snifter.
Appearance - Pours a deep cloudy copper - minimal head but lacing last throughout.
Aroma - Malty character jumps out here - Freshly baked muffins comes to mind first. Hints of citrus.
Taste - Oak aging is distinct. Malt balanced with slightly bitter hops. Alcohol almost totally masked. Beautiful.
Mouthfeel is very smooth with a slight alc. burn due to content but not overwhelming.
Drinkability - This one goes to #1 on my DIPA list. I've always been a fan of their 90 minute but this goes above and beyond anything from them or anyone else. I may need a second job to support this addiction.

DFH Burton Baton

A- 4.5 cloudy and amber with light tan head
S- 5.0 hoppy with lemon and oak coming through
T- 5.0 reminds me of the 90 good hop flavor and slight acidity, everything working well together. Then you get this great oak finish that lingers wonderfully
M- 4.5 nice and crisp with pretty strong carbonation given the abv
D- 5.0 high abv at 10% but I barely notice it in the taste, just a great beer

DFH 90 min was my favorite beer before this one. Burton Baton just adds more to a great thing, adding a new dimension of flavor with the great oak finish. Go out and buy this beer and enjoy it. The only problem with this beer is the price, almost $20 for a pack of four, about double the price of the 90 min. Is it great? Yes. Is it an extra $10 great? Unfortunately no. I will continue to enjoy DFH 90min and Stone IPA as my go to beers, but I will have a special place in my heart for this great brew.

4.92/5  rDev +17.7%

This is an example of an Imperial IPA, or India Pale Ale. Essentially this is an IPA all juiced up. The style often have double the hops and malt, creating an even more bitter taste. Some Imperials are more balanced between the hops and malt, giving it a clean, crisp, bitter hop finish, but with a balanced sweet malt taste. Much higher in alcohol than a standard IPA. Dogfish Head takes a twist on this by blending of an oak-aged English strong ale and their 90 Minute I.P.A.

This poured nicely into a pint glass, with a light copper/reddish tone and producing a medium amount of foam. The nice amount of carbonation may be the culprit for the foam, but either way it left a thin but nice lacing on the glass.

The aroma was a very nice citrus, mixed with a wonderful floral aroma, almost that of mountain wildflowers. Slightly piny, although I think this can be attributed to the the floral aroma.The malt really does balance this nicely, but still retain a bitter hop finish.

The taste was very nice. The bitter hop I smelled really comes out, enhancing the sweetness of the malt balance. Somewhat a contridiction perhaps, as some imperials are extremely bitter with no attempt at balance, and others loose the bitter while having complete balance. The alcohol taste is there more on the back end and can sneak up.

Mouthfeel is good. Very crisp, sweet and goes down smooth.

I liked this one. I've had it before and always enjoyed it. It paired nicely with the grilled chicken fajitas with Monterrey Jack cheese I had. The bitter hops balanced and complimented the cheese. With a 10% ABV, take it slow, but enjoy and have another!

4.92/5  rDev +17.7%

Color is a nice copper, a little more on the yellow side at the sides of the glass. It has a thick head that sticks at about a half inch throughout the entire drink. Plenty of carbonation, but nothing obnoxious. If I had to change something about the beer, I'd make the color a little darker, but not by much.

I like this smell because not only do you get a fruity/floral hop aroma, you also get the oak and malt.

Taste is perfect IMHO. Tons of malt, some alcohol, oak and a residual hop bitterness. I don't notice so much hop flavor, but you get hit with more than enough hop aroma while drinking it. Also, the thing I really like about this, is the taste is felt from the tip of your lips all the way to the back of your sinuses.

The mouthfeel is a little oily, as you'd expect with a malty 10%. It could be a little more crisp, I guess.

This beer is incredibly drinkable, I would even say "dangerously" drinkable. If it wasn't for the fact that beer makes you drunk, and IIPAs make your really drunk, I could drink a 12 pack of these in a sitting.

4.92/5  rDev +17.7%

Bottled on 06/08/12. Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a 14 oz snifter.

Appearance: Orangish amber color, cloudy and opaque. I would have preferred more clarity from this beer. Quarter inch of white head dissipates fairly quickly. Good lacing, especially after I swirled the snifter to pull out more aroma.

Aroma: Vanilla, orange zest, sourdough bread. Compelling - once I smell this, I can't wait to drink it.

Mouthfeel: Medium carbonation and medium body. Perfectly suitable to the style.

Taste: Oak tannins combine with the orange and sourdough from the nose. The oak aging is distinctly noticeable and enjoyable, not overpowering. A very pleasant sweetness blends perfectly with subtle tartness and bitterness. No puckering and no astringency. Just a hint of alcohol heat.

Overall: Excellent balance of sweet, tart, and bitter with delicious complexity from the oak aging. One of my absolute favorite beers.

4.91/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Absolutely delightful beer. Citrus, vanilla, and woody nose. Not too oaky and very smooth. It didn't taste at all boozy to me despite the impressive 10%abv.

4.9/5  rDev +17.2%

Bottled on 10/16/09
Reviewed 11/17/09

A: Pours a nice deep copper color with a small but ample sticky looking white head with nice sticky lacing too.

S: Big pungent piney hops with a subtle oakiness lingering underneath. Nice soapy hoppy DIPA aroma.

T: Mirrors the nose. Soapy, piney, sticky, and hoppy. The woodiness is calm in comparison to the malt and hoppiness going on but still enough to add a nice layer of complexity to the brew.

M: Big medium feel with plenty of carbonation. Nice slick oiliness left in my mouth.

D: I really thought about a 5 on this one. This is definitely one of my favorite DIPAs to date and I'm glad I finally took the time to review it. I only bought 2 and am working on my second one now. When I grab more, if I can go through all 4 in a sitting and not be outside talking to woodland creatures I'll be sure to change this to a 5!

4.9/5  rDev +17.2%

This is one beer that has a near constant presence in my fridge. Slightly hoppy (although the 70 IBU is masked very well) and dangerously smooth. Traces of oak and vanilla blend with the hop and the 10% leaves a slight heat feeling at the end. Perhaps the best balanced beer I have ever had, I find its warmth pleasant and comforting in the fall and winter yet the drinkability translates to a beer that is fantastic for sipping in the warmer months. While it is a bit pricey I would not pass it over. Give this one a shot if you haven't yet - you will not be disappointed.

4.89/5  rDev +17%

I picked this up at the local Wegmans in Mechanicsburg, PA. I love everything about this beer. The appearance, taste and mouthfeel are absolutely top notch. It pours a nice gold, brown color with a nice white head. The lacing on the bottle is a nice bonus. You really pick up the sweet, hearty flavors on the nose, and get the oak flavor in the taste. For a 10 percenter, there was absolutely no booziness to it; if you didn't read the label, you'd never know this was that high a percentage. It's very well balanced and just a satisfying brew.

Overall, this is one of my favorite IPAs, easily.

4.89/5  rDev +17%

12oz. bottle poured into a snifter. It pours a light copper color with one finger of head. There's a touch of lacing left on the glass. The smell is very unique. It has a lot of earthy aromas and a good amount of charred wood character. Tons of hoppiness as well. The taste is simply amazing. Sweet pale malt up front, with some caramel sweetness. Then it's taken over by wood flavors and a slight hint of orange peel. A nice hoppy finish rounds it out. Not a hint of alcohol in sight. The mouthfeel is very thick and heavy, yet smooth. The drinkability is murderous. A fantastic brew.

4.88/5  rDev +16.7%

im usually more descriptive in my beer evaluations but this is just stunning, one of the most well crafted brews ive ever tasted,
its has such a rich flavor and a savory finish, ive had great beers like founders kbs and i feel this beer has so many close notes to a kbs, an ipa with the depth of flavor a stout can only provide until now, world class brew!!!!

4.87/5  rDev +16.5%

Talk about a value buy $2.50 a piece at my local sixpack shop. Appears a copper amber with a fluffy cream colored head leaves lacing all around my chalice, very nice look to it. Aroma has deep leafy citrus pine scented hops alcohol presence is noticeable vinous green hops, Sam and Co. have truly tamed the hop it brings layers of grapefruit and other tart fruit notes along with the oak presence with evident sugary caramel malt. Smells of candy coated hops syrupy alcohol over ripened fruit tones. Taste has a complex orgy of malts, hops and complex characteristics from oak barrel aging giving this one a mellow charred oak vanilla character and the hops have a citrus, pine, and earthy dirt qualities sugary malts matched with the more than ample bitterness finishes with a just a cinge of acohol...one quality creation. Mouthfeel is fuller bodied syrupy textured with oily resinous streaks coming through the lucious body is handled with an even carbonation which flows surprisingly smoothly along the palate. Drinkability is amazing...one extreme IPA very solid tasty offering great flavor that keeps you wanting more and more, well done I'm sold on this Woody Guthrie tribute brew.

4.87/5  rDev +16.5%

Poured from bottle into Unibroue tulip. Bottle is 3.5 months old. Amazing aroma of fresh hops and sweet aged malts combined into one of the best smelling beers on earth. When other people drink this beer, I ask them if I can have the bottle after its empty so I can smell it from time to time to motivate me, knowing I can drink one at the end of the night. For a special treat, you can leave one ounce of beer in the bottle and put it in your car in the hot sun for a few hours. Makes a great air freshener...seriously. Love it at any age, fresh or old, love it warm, love it cold. Basically a combination of my favorite two styles...double IPA and aged strong ale. In my opinion, Burton is one of the best beers ever made, maybe THE best.

4.87/5  rDev +16.5%

A: The beer poured a rust colored orange chrome, with lively carbonation dancing about in fine bubbles.

S: Pine and citrus.

T: Banana, spice, peppers. I concur on the french toast that "Lambic Petumeter" noted. There was even a note of banana smoothie at the end. Wonderful.

M: Creamy, smooth, but shaped by spritzy acidity.

O: This may be the finest imperial IPA I have had the pleasure to taste.

4.87/5  rDev +16.5%

Poured in a tall ale glass, cellar temperature; aged 2 years! I can't wait...

A: cloudy dirty orange; very respectable head
S: burnished hops, citrus; very fragrant
T: oh my, what a great flavor; robust IPA with the oak flavor prominent; brings the IPA toward a scotch ale and barleywine; bitter with very strong, widespread hop profile
M: nothing special, but that's not why you'd buy this beer

Amazing, and yes I recommend aging it

Burton Baton from Dogfish Head Brewery