1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Burton Baton - Dogfish Head Brewery

Burton BatonBurton Baton

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

This oak-aged gentle giant has been gaining popularity over the past few years and is now available year-round.

For Burton Baton, we brew two "threads," or batches, of beer: an English-style old ale and an imperial IPA.

After fementating the beers separately in our stainless tanks, they're transferred and blended together in one of our large oak tanks. Burton Baton sits on the wood for about a month.

When enjoying the Burton Baton, you'll find an awesome blend of the citrus notes from Northwestern hops melding with woody, vanilla notes from the oak. The wood also tends to mellow the 10% ABV of Burton, so tread cautiously!

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-08-2004)
View: Beers (137) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Burton Baton Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,726 | Reviews: 1,668 | Show All Ratings:
Corpsehoagie

1.5/5  rDev -64.5%

I bought this thinking it wasn't an ipa. Stupid mistake, ipas aren't my thing. I'm a huge fan of dogfish head but I should have stuck with the midas touch(dollar cheaper). It smelled like the smell outside after it rains and the frogs come out and get squished on the road. I passed it around and several people agreed. After rain smell or dead frogs smell. Taste was a mouthful of hops mixed with grapefuit peels mixed with more hops. I felt the high quality of this beer but I would never spend the $14 on it again

01-14-2012 19:21:15 | More by Corpsehoagie
JDV

1.58/5  rDev -62.6%

bottle from DrJay. Thanks!
Pours a nice murky amber with a small offwhite head. Smell is very malty with caramel tones, some oak, and a hint of alcohol. Cloying from the nose alone... Taste is also incredibly overly sweet. Sugary syrupy sweetness and some oakiness with no balance whatsoever from hops. Not only a huge disappointment but one of the most undrinkable beers I've ever had. Not what I expected.

04-06-2008 18:44:23 | More by JDV
jeremyd365

1.85/5  rDev -56.3%

This is the second time I tried this and it's been about four years since the last time... This time was not good at all. It claims to be an oak aged imperial ipa but the whole flavor is malty alcohol. Perhaps the oak is overpowering the hops but either way it's not what I would want out if something called an imperial IPA. Not many dog fish head that I don't care for but I wouldn't want this one again.

10-15-2012 23:18:05 | More by jeremyd365
ccrida

Oregon

1.9/5  rDev -55.1%

Poured a clear amber orange with a moderate white head that subsided to a thick skim leaving lots of thing, sticky lace.

The aroma is malty and with some pungent hops, but they are pretty faint, certainly for a Double IPA. It is mainly sweet.

The taste just smacks you upside the head with sugary sweetness. Lots of brown sugar and stone fruit like apricot. Where are the hops??? A bit of flowers try to break through that malt, but they ultimately fail. The finish finally reveals the oak, but man, this is a sugary strong amber ale in my mind. I was hoping that blending the 90min with an oak aged batch would temper the malty sugar bomb, but I was mistaken.

The mouthfeel is pretty viscous, inspite of the active streamers, this is syrupy.

The drinkablity on this one was low. Way to sugary and pretty much no hops. My beer store, which has pretty high turn over, just got this, so even though it's from back east, I doubt it's that old that the hops would have faded so much. And the malt is so sweet and fresh and sugary. I'll easily forget about the other one I have until it's well past it's prime I'm sure, even though that's probably 5-10 years out (prime being relative). From what I'd heard of this brew, it was very dissapointing. And then I remembered I've felt this way about pretty much ever DFH brew I've ever had!

05-11-2007 00:58:15 | More by ccrida
chefnash51

Connecticut

2.05/5  rDev -51.5%

I really really really wanted to like this beer...
Huge fan of IIPA and Dogfish head...

I haven't had to pour a beer down the sink in years..

Way too sugary, way too sweet. Hops don't even really make it through.
This beer killed my taste buds. I had to stop drinking after I had it and it gave me a headache, probably from all the sugar. As I let the beer swirl over my tongue, I could taste the bourbon.

Maybe I had the wrong impression of what this was going to taste like. I tried, even let it sit out for a bit hoping that as it warms, it would become more palatable.

I will put the other 3 bottles down.... for a LONG time... maybe that will calm the sweetness.

08-24-2007 13:54:08 | More by chefnash51
PDXHops

South Carolina

2.13/5  rDev -49.6%

12 oz bottle, poured into a snifter.

A big beer for sure, and interesting, but big + interesting don't automatically equal greatness. I would love to see a more substantial dose of hops in this one (it is supposed to be a DIPA, after all). Powerfully malty, with plentiful oak, sweet vanilla, fruitiness, booziness and floral notes. Potential to be something special, but needs a serious spike of bitterness (or a new style designation). Pretty much a sugar bomb, just can't get into this at all.

05-13-2009 22:50:13 | More by PDXHops
Jacobob10

2.17/5  rDev -48.7%

Bottled on 01.08.07, drank on 11.05.07.

Poured into a DFH snifter, Burton Baton revealed an orange-red color with a small white head. As I take a whiff of it, I pick up that oh-so-familiar smell that only a strong Dogfish Head brew gives off. Overpowering sweet citrus from the hops with a weird oak/toffee backbone. I think to myself, "I hope this does not become an Immort Ale disaster." To this day the Immort Ale is one of the only beers I have ever poured down the drain.

Upon drinking, it left no lacing along the side of the glass and a thin white film of head remained on the beer that could be rejuvenated with an easy swirl of the glass. The flavor was dominated by a cloying sweetness that was impossible for me to get past. Very hot in the mouth as well from the unmasked 10% alcohol.

I have to say that I am a fan of a lot of DFH beers (i.e. 60 Min, WW Stout, Indian Brown, Raison D'Etre), but the sweetness presented by this beer is something that I have had a problem with in the Immort Ale as well as the 120 Minute IPA. It is very syrupy and just unpleasant. I will say the Burton Baton is my favorite of those three beers. I was able to drink the entire bottle, but it was somewhat of a struggle and I will not be trying it again for quite some time. If you're into the Immort or 120 Min then give it a shot, otherwise try laying it down for a year or two after you buy it and then see if the flavors develop a bit more.

11-08-2007 15:47:59 | More by Jacobob10
ChainGangGuy

Georgia

2.25/5  rDev -46.8%

I feel I should review another beer with my pal AndoBrew or something. Let's do it!

Appearance: Pours a clear, copper body with a frothy, though quickly diminishing head. AndoBrew, looking troubled, says it reminds him of "scary candy." Oh, how right he'll be!

Smell: Beyond a touch of wood shavings and an indistinct orange citrus note, its sweet-smelling candy sugar through and through. AndoBrew concludes Burton Baton has been conceived and made in the same vein as Avery's "Mephistopheles and Other Demons" line (i.e., jacked up sugar and alcohol content). I'm inclined to agree with him.

Taste: Terribly sugary, with a glaring sweetness that impairs the overall taste by laying waste to the other flavors of honey, apples, and pears. Even the bitterness is cowed by the sugar. AndoBrew's vote goes to "Watered down Toffee Brandy blended with a lil' bit of bad news." Right on, Ando.

Mouthfeel: Thin-bodied, but altogether cloying with a searing alcoholic warmth to it. AndoBrew says his mouth feels dried out and sugar-encrusted, like a "problem."

Drinkability: Essentially, I found this to be a flimsy IPA drenched in way too much sugar and alcohol. I feel fortunate to have survived this sugar-esque running of the bulls!

I wonder what beer AndoBrew and I will try next!

05-17-2007 04:09:07 | More by ChainGangGuy
Beaver13

Colorado

2.33/5  rDev -44.9%

12oz bottle. Pours a hazy reddish orange with a medium creamy white head that goes to a thin film that laces the glass.

The aroma is sweet woody caramel malts with a little acidic hops and a lot of sharp alcohol.

The flavor is sweet sugary caramel malts with a decent bitterness in the finish and a lot of sharp alcohol. The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with smooth carbonation.

Overall, it's overly sugary sweet and alcoholic with no real hop flavor.

05-11-2012 03:47:48 | More by Beaver13
scott

2.4/5  rDev -43.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

V.07

Great looker - nice deep amber coloring, with a thick gel-like appearance that allows only light carbonation. Very large alcohol rim. A typical olde ale/barleywine presentation.
Huge alcohol presence that stings, with a woody backnote. Some floral notes, that is stomped by more alcohol.
A syrupy, cloying mess that has more off-balanced wood than a boy with a Mature rated anime collection. One part simple syrup, one part rubbing alcohol, and one -quarter part attic wood and a dash of vanilla. Impressive?
NOTE - This actually becomes a great nightcap sipper if left open for a while. It numbs the gums, and it should have a little more definition. This could only pair with a cigar.

02-07-2007 20:55:14 | More by scott
hrking

Indiana

2.45/5  rDev -42.1%

Nose is hoppy as well as the first sip. Not picking up any oak from nose or taste. 10 percent wow alcohol burn and a little on the bitter side. I expected this to be a little smoother but its just shy of having a bite to it.Not one of my favs by a long shot.If youre a hop head go for if not steer clear.

12-26-2008 23:45:32 | More by hrking
andrewinski1

New Hampshire

2.45/5  rDev -42.1%

This one was bottled sometime in April, so it's little more than a month old. Poured into a tulip. Light amber hazy body with a thick off white head. Good lacing.

The smell is sweet and exactly like the artificial cotton candy bubblegum smell. There is a hint of citrus in the aroma as well.

The taste is very sweet, with a bit of the vanilla oak flavor. The hops are very subdued; maybe adding a little floral flavor to the candy sweetness.

The body is medium-large, and the carbonation nice and prickly.

Not an offensive tasting beverage, but I can't say I'm a fan by any means. This is close to being a barleywine, but there isn't any complexity in the taste and it's just too sweet.

05-24-2011 04:47:55 | More by andrewinski1
rallison

2.48/5  rDev -41.4%

Pours a beautiful reddish amber color with a 1/2 finger white head that leaves some nice lacing.

Smells overly sweet with lots of caramel and toffee. Touches of wood as well maybe.

The taste here is overly sweet and cloying. Caramel and toffee are overwhelming with touches of fruits. Rich, but not really that enjoyable. No balance. Syrupy. Virtually no hop presence. Alcohol is somewhat present. I don't understand how this rates so high.

Mouthfeel is way too thick and syrupy. I've had more cloying beers, but this is up there. At least give me some hops to balance the sweetness.

Drinkability is poor. Yes, I had this 12oz bottle to myself. Do I regret that? Yes. A 3oz sample would be about right.

Not recommended.

Edit: I drink some more, and it just gets worse. This is a horrible beer. Seriously, how is this a 4.1 average? The last half of the bottle is going down the drain. There is no excuse for *&#* like this.

04-08-2008 06:52:10 | More by rallison
teromous

2.6/5  rDev -38.5%

A: A medium amber color with a very robust creamy white head. It came out about 1 1/2 thumbs thick and settled down to about half. It has a very creamy and milky head. Carbonation consists of very fine bubbles. Lacing is incredible.

S: It smells of citrus (orange or grapefruit) with floral notes. It's not overly complex but pleasing.

T: I don't taste any oak. I was expecting more but it just tastes like an IPA. I'm disappointed because I really expected something new from this beer. It's not awful because it's a decent IPA it's just that I wanted some wood flavor...or something...anything. I appreciated that they could hide the 10% ABV in this beer.

M: It's about average without anything unique. It's a bit astringent in the aftertaste. It has a wonderful head but the mouthfeel doesn't have any punch or carbonating "zing".

O: I didn't like this beer. I didn't feel like this warranted its own beer because it didn't taste unique enough to be its own beer. That might sound strange but I wanted this beer to give me something new and it just tasted like a regular old DFH IPA. Maybe the astringency or color came from the wood or something, but I really didn't pick up any flavor at all from it. I didn't pick up any oak, vanilla, or anything. It's a pity that I have to rate such a beautiful beer so low.

04-08-2011 01:43:34 | More by teromous
baos

Indiana

2.63/5  rDev -37.8%

12 oz bottle into pint glass.

A: Pours a cloudy amber color with about a one finger head. head goes down pretty quick with a thin blanket left that leaves decent bits of lace.

S: Rum, caramel, molasses.

T: Big sweet alcohol taste. Didn't get the hop flavors that I was expecting. I did get a oaky chardonnay flavor. The honey sweetness is almost overpowering, diacetyl notes for sure. This beer is very well crafted, but too sweet for my palate.

D: If it wasn't so sweet it would be good. This beer reminds me of a Camelot mead that I once had. Too sweet, and it doesn't mellow in your glass like some beers that initially shock you. If you like sweet, drink this beer.

10-25-2007 23:20:00 | More by baos
mjl21

2.7/5  rDev -36.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 ounce bottle puchased at Central Market in Fort Worth, TX. Poured into a snifter. Bottled on 3/30/09 and comes in at 10%.

A-When poured has a very clear amber color with some nice ruby hue. It has a 3/4 finger off white head that goes to a decent froth ring. It is a really nice looking beer.

S-This may be one of the sweetest beers to ever hit my nose. After smelling this I knew to prepare for the sweet malt assault. The best way to describe this one is that it smells somewhat between the 90 minute and the 120 minute. Citrus pineapple and oak are very detectable.

T-Pineapple and honey hit very fast followed by an extreme level of cloying sweetness brought on by tons of caramel malt. In the back of the mouth peppery notes are evident and alcohol is also being detected. Some grapefruit bitterness can be detected, but not enough to mix with all of the malt. In between sips the tannins from the oak barrels leave my mouth feeling like I just had a really oaky Chardonnay.

M-Thick, chewy, very sweet, and sticky.

D-One is more than enough due to how sweetness is in this one.

This one did not work for me and is one of the sweetest beers I have ever had. Should have picked up an Indian Brown instead.

04-22-2009 17:59:31 | More by mjl21
thecarster1

2.7/5  rDev -36.2%

a- bottle poured into a chalice, one finger of head, hazy brown chesnut coloring, bubbling lace.

s- lots of oak here, sweet, earthy hops, clean smelling.

t- very oak-y, getting alot of peat from that, lots of alcohol here - strong, yeah, really boozy.

m- medium/thick in the mouth.

d- not the greatest, this is the 2010 vintage and i think it's still a little too hot for me, gonna put the other one i have in the cellar for a year or so and give this another shot to mellow out a bit.

12-19-2010 17:22:56 | More by thecarster1
williamherbert

2.78/5  rDev -34.3%

Impossibly hazy with a decent tiny little bit of head (that disappears rather quickly). Color is a dark apple-cider orange. Glorious. As if it's encased in amber (the Jurassic kind, not the Irish kind). Has a few little random specks of lace. Perfect.

Massive colossal hop aroma, almost like burnt wood. Smells not just of woodsy hops, but of actual wood. I feel like I just came out of building a deck. It's oak (or so says the bottle). Unlike anything I have ever smelled.

This is a thoroughly rich and unbelievably overpowering brew. Major sawdust wood flavor. The hops are transformed into a malty, milky flavorburst. Has a saccharine-sweet undertone, and that's not a compliment. Absolutely overwhelming. Major alcohol taste. They just threw everything in this beer, everything including the kitchen sink; it's just too much. The flavor is complex but not enjoyable.

Seriously milky and creamy. Incredible post-swallow tongue presence. Very very very very thick. Wow. It practically oozes.

This is not an easy beer to drink. It's a heavy, brutal brew. If this were a beer drinking video game, this brew would be the final "Boss." Insane. It is way beyond what I consider enjoyable drinking. Glad I only bought one. To me, this is the exact example of what happens when good beer goes Imperial. It's just overwhelming for the sake of being overwhelming.

02-06-2007 02:22:03 | More by williamherbert
LPorter33

2.8/5  rDev -33.8%

Purchased 12 oz bottle from Martignetti's

This is quite different from the 90/60 minute. I don't know how they made it 10% as it's downright evil in how well it hides its alcohol content. There's a lot of sugar in this so if you don't like beers on the sweet side, it's going to disagree with your palate. The more I drink it, the more the taste doesn't agree with me. It's got a very herb-like aftertaste that doesn't mix well with the initial sweetness. I'm really have a hard time finding the hops in what's supposed to be a double IPA. Mouthfeel is a bit weak and watery at the end.This was one of those beers where the first sip was the best...better to save it for a 1 oz tasting.

03-17-2007 07:07:56 | More by LPorter33
popery

2.8/5  rDev -33.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Draft, City Beer Store. Besides 120 min, which arguably doesn't count, this is probably the sweetest DIPA that I've tried so far. It was a nice reminder to make an appointment with the dentist but a rather underwhelming beer. The beer looks fine, golden amber with a small white head. The aroma is honey, hops and sweet malt, a warning of things to come. There's a hint of oak, which I wish was about ten times stronger. The hops are sort of a tropical fruit lifesaver note. The flavor is way too sweet with no noticeable dryness from the wood or balancing bitter hop bite. The hops come through as a candied version of themselves, which sorta works in the 120 min but falls flat here. I can deal with one or the other, but the sweetness combined with lackluster hop flavor are what killed the beer for me. Squall remains my favorite DFH IPA by a wide margin.

03-05-2010 07:02:08 | More by popery
johnmichaelsen

Oregon

2.85/5  rDev -32.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Another over the top beer from DFH. I was going to pan Mahaffey's Pub (in Baltimore) for describing this beer as a double IPA, but sure enough, that's how DFH characterizes it as well.

The overall flavor I got out of this was sweetness. There was a bit of refreshing hoppiness in the finish, but not much. In fact, I found this beer to be so sweet that, coupled with the high abv., I found it to be not very drinkable at all. Like the 120 minute IPA, the smell and taste of sweetness is so overwhelming that it's difficult to detect any hop presence.

According to the menu at Mahaffey's, this beer is oak aged. I guess that could account for some of the sweetness, but surely something else must have been added to make it that sweet (though the website says that it's a blend of the 90 minute and an oak-aged english strong ale). In any event, this just is not a style of beer I personally care for, and is not a beer I will be ordering again.

I simply do not understand DFH's love affair with oak.

03-06-2007 14:52:47 | More by johnmichaelsen
BDLbrewster

2.9/5  rDev -31.4%

Pours a deep orange amber color, like pale maple syrup. Almost no head at all, with some sticky lacing evident.

I pick up a resiny sweet sugary pine aroma right away. The more I sniff I also get a sweetened over-ripe orange kind of smell, passion fruit also rounds out this interesting smelling brew. The hops have obviously faded and there is inherent alcohol in the end of the nose.

The taste is different. I get sugary sweet over ripe pineapple right away, then comes the oak. The wood bitters the sweet front with a phenolic twang. More over ripe citrus fruit, and then it gets boozy. Sweet, syrupy and lacking any sort of real bitterness. Cloying sweetness.

Mouthfeel fits the profile of a DIPA, somewhat syrupy and medium bodied. Carbonation was a little low, but the bottle is not new so I'm not really surprised.

Man, I had high expectations for this one. A very complex crazy brew, but what a let down. I'm a staunch defender of DFH, but dammit sometimes they just try too hard.

07-28-2009 01:12:01 | More by BDLbrewster
MarkSCCOT

South Carolina

2.93/5  rDev -30.7%

Thanks to HopDawg from whom I received this beer. I am on a long quest to try every DFH beer I can.

Poured from a 12 ounce beer into a Unibroue oversized wineglass.

A. A beautiful beer. Poured an orange red brew with a durable one finger head. Bountiful carbonation arising from the glass.

S. Too much malt. In my humble opinion a DIPA should reek of hops. They are mildly apparent but the overwhelming smell is a toffee like malt.

T. Like it smells. The hops are in the background. Too sweet. Too malty for a DIPA.

M. Mild body and sweet cloying feel.

D. The abv and limited ability would drop this score. I have like many of DFH's beers,but like 120MIN this is too sweet.

11-22-2007 18:16:31 | More by MarkSCCOT
beerdrifter

Germany

2.93/5  rDev -30.7%

Amber copper pour with decent head and lacing. Strong dark fruit and candy nose with lots of malt. Very chewy and resiny. Extremely syrupy and a bit too sweet for my taste. The dark fruit flavor overpowers the hop bitterness which was subdued to say the least. The sweetness kills the drinkability for me. Pretty disappointing for Dogfish Head. I'll give it another try considering the great reviews I've seen for this. Maybe an old bottle.

11-21-2009 19:53:47 | More by beerdrifter
jcdiflorio

West Virginia

2.95/5  rDev -30.3%

served into a large flared tulip glass from a 12oz long neck brown bottle with a crimped on cap bottled on date 1/8/07.

Deep,amber/reddish color with a golden hue.Off white head dissapated quickly into a constiant layer of foam. Spotty lacing with lots of tiny strings of tighly knitted bubbles racing from the center of the glass.

Fruity aromas with a charred wood aroma with oaky notes.Earthy,floral,no real hop aromas a bit grassy. Moderate aromas with good complexity.

Very sweet,sugary lots of booziness. A woody,oaky taste is very present. Earthy,grassy finishes with a dry,crisp,clean bitteness that lingers on the palate. Good balance,very sugary and boozy.

Very dry and creamy leaves a sugary coating all over the palate. A sipper for sure,had a hard time finishing a bottle a bit too sugary for me overall, would be an interesting beer to age.

03-03-2007 21:34:05 | More by jcdiflorio