2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Burton Baton - Dogfish Head Brewery

Burton BatonBurton Baton

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

This oak-aged gentle giant has been gaining popularity over the past few years and is now available year-round.

For Burton Baton, we brew two "threads," or batches, of beer: an English-style old ale and an imperial IPA.

After fementating the beers separately in our stainless tanks, they're transferred and blended together in one of our large oak tanks. Burton Baton sits on the wood for about a month.

When enjoying the Burton Baton, you'll find an awesome blend of the citrus notes from Northwestern hops melding with woody, vanilla notes from the oak. The wood also tends to mellow the 10% ABV of Burton, so tread cautiously!

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-08-2004)
View: Beers (138) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Burton Baton Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,758 | Reviews: 1,670 | Show All Ratings:
hrking

Indiana

2.45/5  rDev -42.1%

Nose is hoppy as well as the first sip. Not picking up any oak from nose or taste. 10 percent wow alcohol burn and a little on the bitter side. I expected this to be a little smoother but its just shy of having a bite to it.Not one of my favs by a long shot.If youre a hop head go for if not steer clear.

12-26-2008 23:45:32 | More by hrking
andrewinski1

New Hampshire

2.45/5  rDev -42.1%

This one was bottled sometime in April, so it's little more than a month old. Poured into a tulip. Light amber hazy body with a thick off white head. Good lacing.

The smell is sweet and exactly like the artificial cotton candy bubblegum smell. There is a hint of citrus in the aroma as well.

The taste is very sweet, with a bit of the vanilla oak flavor. The hops are very subdued; maybe adding a little floral flavor to the candy sweetness.

The body is medium-large, and the carbonation nice and prickly.

Not an offensive tasting beverage, but I can't say I'm a fan by any means. This is close to being a barleywine, but there isn't any complexity in the taste and it's just too sweet.

05-24-2011 04:47:55 | More by andrewinski1
rallison

2.48/5  rDev -41.4%

Pours a beautiful reddish amber color with a 1/2 finger white head that leaves some nice lacing.

Smells overly sweet with lots of caramel and toffee. Touches of wood as well maybe.

The taste here is overly sweet and cloying. Caramel and toffee are overwhelming with touches of fruits. Rich, but not really that enjoyable. No balance. Syrupy. Virtually no hop presence. Alcohol is somewhat present. I don't understand how this rates so high.

Mouthfeel is way too thick and syrupy. I've had more cloying beers, but this is up there. At least give me some hops to balance the sweetness.

Drinkability is poor. Yes, I had this 12oz bottle to myself. Do I regret that? Yes. A 3oz sample would be about right.

Not recommended.

Edit: I drink some more, and it just gets worse. This is a horrible beer. Seriously, how is this a 4.1 average? The last half of the bottle is going down the drain. There is no excuse for *&#* like this.

04-08-2008 06:52:10 | More by rallison
teromous

2.6/5  rDev -38.5%

A: A medium amber color with a very robust creamy white head. It came out about 1 1/2 thumbs thick and settled down to about half. It has a very creamy and milky head. Carbonation consists of very fine bubbles. Lacing is incredible.

S: It smells of citrus (orange or grapefruit) with floral notes. It's not overly complex but pleasing.

T: I don't taste any oak. I was expecting more but it just tastes like an IPA. I'm disappointed because I really expected something new from this beer. It's not awful because it's a decent IPA it's just that I wanted some wood flavor...or something...anything. I appreciated that they could hide the 10% ABV in this beer.

M: It's about average without anything unique. It's a bit astringent in the aftertaste. It has a wonderful head but the mouthfeel doesn't have any punch or carbonating "zing".

O: I didn't like this beer. I didn't feel like this warranted its own beer because it didn't taste unique enough to be its own beer. That might sound strange but I wanted this beer to give me something new and it just tasted like a regular old DFH IPA. Maybe the astringency or color came from the wood or something, but I really didn't pick up any flavor at all from it. I didn't pick up any oak, vanilla, or anything. It's a pity that I have to rate such a beautiful beer so low.

04-08-2011 01:43:34 | More by teromous
baos

Indiana

2.63/5  rDev -37.8%

12 oz bottle into pint glass.

A: Pours a cloudy amber color with about a one finger head. head goes down pretty quick with a thin blanket left that leaves decent bits of lace.

S: Rum, caramel, molasses.

T: Big sweet alcohol taste. Didn't get the hop flavors that I was expecting. I did get a oaky chardonnay flavor. The honey sweetness is almost overpowering, diacetyl notes for sure. This beer is very well crafted, but too sweet for my palate.

D: If it wasn't so sweet it would be good. This beer reminds me of a Camelot mead that I once had. Too sweet, and it doesn't mellow in your glass like some beers that initially shock you. If you like sweet, drink this beer.

10-25-2007 23:20:00 | More by baos
mjl21

2.7/5  rDev -36.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 ounce bottle puchased at Central Market in Fort Worth, TX. Poured into a snifter. Bottled on 3/30/09 and comes in at 10%.

A-When poured has a very clear amber color with some nice ruby hue. It has a 3/4 finger off white head that goes to a decent froth ring. It is a really nice looking beer.

S-This may be one of the sweetest beers to ever hit my nose. After smelling this I knew to prepare for the sweet malt assault. The best way to describe this one is that it smells somewhat between the 90 minute and the 120 minute. Citrus pineapple and oak are very detectable.

T-Pineapple and honey hit very fast followed by an extreme level of cloying sweetness brought on by tons of caramel malt. In the back of the mouth peppery notes are evident and alcohol is also being detected. Some grapefruit bitterness can be detected, but not enough to mix with all of the malt. In between sips the tannins from the oak barrels leave my mouth feeling like I just had a really oaky Chardonnay.

M-Thick, chewy, very sweet, and sticky.

D-One is more than enough due to how sweetness is in this one.

This one did not work for me and is one of the sweetest beers I have ever had. Should have picked up an Indian Brown instead.

04-22-2009 17:59:31 | More by mjl21
thecarster1

2.7/5  rDev -36.2%

a- bottle poured into a chalice, one finger of head, hazy brown chesnut coloring, bubbling lace.

s- lots of oak here, sweet, earthy hops, clean smelling.

t- very oak-y, getting alot of peat from that, lots of alcohol here - strong, yeah, really boozy.

m- medium/thick in the mouth.

d- not the greatest, this is the 2010 vintage and i think it's still a little too hot for me, gonna put the other one i have in the cellar for a year or so and give this another shot to mellow out a bit.

12-19-2010 17:22:56 | More by thecarster1
williamherbert

2.78/5  rDev -34.3%

Impossibly hazy with a decent tiny little bit of head (that disappears rather quickly). Color is a dark apple-cider orange. Glorious. As if it's encased in amber (the Jurassic kind, not the Irish kind). Has a few little random specks of lace. Perfect.

Massive colossal hop aroma, almost like burnt wood. Smells not just of woodsy hops, but of actual wood. I feel like I just came out of building a deck. It's oak (or so says the bottle). Unlike anything I have ever smelled.

This is a thoroughly rich and unbelievably overpowering brew. Major sawdust wood flavor. The hops are transformed into a malty, milky flavorburst. Has a saccharine-sweet undertone, and that's not a compliment. Absolutely overwhelming. Major alcohol taste. They just threw everything in this beer, everything including the kitchen sink; it's just too much. The flavor is complex but not enjoyable.

Seriously milky and creamy. Incredible post-swallow tongue presence. Very very very very thick. Wow. It practically oozes.

This is not an easy beer to drink. It's a heavy, brutal brew. If this were a beer drinking video game, this brew would be the final "Boss." Insane. It is way beyond what I consider enjoyable drinking. Glad I only bought one. To me, this is the exact example of what happens when good beer goes Imperial. It's just overwhelming for the sake of being overwhelming.

02-06-2007 02:22:03 | More by williamherbert
LPorter33

2.8/5  rDev -33.8%

Purchased 12 oz bottle from Martignetti's

This is quite different from the 90/60 minute. I don't know how they made it 10% as it's downright evil in how well it hides its alcohol content. There's a lot of sugar in this so if you don't like beers on the sweet side, it's going to disagree with your palate. The more I drink it, the more the taste doesn't agree with me. It's got a very herb-like aftertaste that doesn't mix well with the initial sweetness. I'm really have a hard time finding the hops in what's supposed to be a double IPA. Mouthfeel is a bit weak and watery at the end.This was one of those beers where the first sip was the best...better to save it for a 1 oz tasting.

03-17-2007 07:07:56 | More by LPorter33
popery

2.8/5  rDev -33.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Draft, City Beer Store. Besides 120 min, which arguably doesn't count, this is probably the sweetest DIPA that I've tried so far. It was a nice reminder to make an appointment with the dentist but a rather underwhelming beer. The beer looks fine, golden amber with a small white head. The aroma is honey, hops and sweet malt, a warning of things to come. There's a hint of oak, which I wish was about ten times stronger. The hops are sort of a tropical fruit lifesaver note. The flavor is way too sweet with no noticeable dryness from the wood or balancing bitter hop bite. The hops come through as a candied version of themselves, which sorta works in the 120 min but falls flat here. I can deal with one or the other, but the sweetness combined with lackluster hop flavor are what killed the beer for me. Squall remains my favorite DFH IPA by a wide margin.

03-05-2010 07:02:08 | More by popery
johnmichaelsen

Oregon

2.85/5  rDev -32.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Another over the top beer from DFH. I was going to pan Mahaffey's Pub (in Baltimore) for describing this beer as a double IPA, but sure enough, that's how DFH characterizes it as well.

The overall flavor I got out of this was sweetness. There was a bit of refreshing hoppiness in the finish, but not much. In fact, I found this beer to be so sweet that, coupled with the high abv., I found it to be not very drinkable at all. Like the 120 minute IPA, the smell and taste of sweetness is so overwhelming that it's difficult to detect any hop presence.

According to the menu at Mahaffey's, this beer is oak aged. I guess that could account for some of the sweetness, but surely something else must have been added to make it that sweet (though the website says that it's a blend of the 90 minute and an oak-aged english strong ale). In any event, this just is not a style of beer I personally care for, and is not a beer I will be ordering again.

I simply do not understand DFH's love affair with oak.

03-06-2007 14:52:47 | More by johnmichaelsen
BDLbrewster

2.9/5  rDev -31.4%

Pours a deep orange amber color, like pale maple syrup. Almost no head at all, with some sticky lacing evident.

I pick up a resiny sweet sugary pine aroma right away. The more I sniff I also get a sweetened over-ripe orange kind of smell, passion fruit also rounds out this interesting smelling brew. The hops have obviously faded and there is inherent alcohol in the end of the nose.

The taste is different. I get sugary sweet over ripe pineapple right away, then comes the oak. The wood bitters the sweet front with a phenolic twang. More over ripe citrus fruit, and then it gets boozy. Sweet, syrupy and lacking any sort of real bitterness. Cloying sweetness.

Mouthfeel fits the profile of a DIPA, somewhat syrupy and medium bodied. Carbonation was a little low, but the bottle is not new so I'm not really surprised.

Man, I had high expectations for this one. A very complex crazy brew, but what a let down. I'm a staunch defender of DFH, but dammit sometimes they just try too hard.

07-28-2009 01:12:01 | More by BDLbrewster
MarkSCCOT

South Carolina

2.93/5  rDev -30.7%

Thanks to HopDawg from whom I received this beer. I am on a long quest to try every DFH beer I can.

Poured from a 12 ounce beer into a Unibroue oversized wineglass.

A. A beautiful beer. Poured an orange red brew with a durable one finger head. Bountiful carbonation arising from the glass.

S. Too much malt. In my humble opinion a DIPA should reek of hops. They are mildly apparent but the overwhelming smell is a toffee like malt.

T. Like it smells. The hops are in the background. Too sweet. Too malty for a DIPA.

M. Mild body and sweet cloying feel.

D. The abv and limited ability would drop this score. I have like many of DFH's beers,but like 120MIN this is too sweet.

11-22-2007 18:16:31 | More by MarkSCCOT
beerdrifter

Germany

2.93/5  rDev -30.7%

Amber copper pour with decent head and lacing. Strong dark fruit and candy nose with lots of malt. Very chewy and resiny. Extremely syrupy and a bit too sweet for my taste. The dark fruit flavor overpowers the hop bitterness which was subdued to say the least. The sweetness kills the drinkability for me. Pretty disappointing for Dogfish Head. I'll give it another try considering the great reviews I've seen for this. Maybe an old bottle.

11-21-2009 19:53:47 | More by beerdrifter
jcdiflorio

West Virginia

2.95/5  rDev -30.3%

served into a large flared tulip glass from a 12oz long neck brown bottle with a crimped on cap bottled on date 1/8/07.

Deep,amber/reddish color with a golden hue.Off white head dissapated quickly into a constiant layer of foam. Spotty lacing with lots of tiny strings of tighly knitted bubbles racing from the center of the glass.

Fruity aromas with a charred wood aroma with oaky notes.Earthy,floral,no real hop aromas a bit grassy. Moderate aromas with good complexity.

Very sweet,sugary lots of booziness. A woody,oaky taste is very present. Earthy,grassy finishes with a dry,crisp,clean bitteness that lingers on the palate. Good balance,very sugary and boozy.

Very dry and creamy leaves a sugary coating all over the palate. A sipper for sure,had a hard time finishing a bottle a bit too sugary for me overall, would be an interesting beer to age.

03-03-2007 21:34:05 | More by jcdiflorio
GeeL

2.95/5  rDev -30.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

First taste of this tonight. 12oz bottle served in a pilsner glass.

Appearance wasn't too unique, reddish-amber with a small foamy head that dwindled down to fine lace after a couple minutes.

Smell: very fruity, malty. Was very surprised by this. I was expecting a hop bomb given the "Imperial IPA" title. I could smell some woodiness, but if I didn't know it was oak, probably wouldn't have placed it. Lots of fruit and floral notes. Can't emphasize enough how sweet the beer smelled, almost like a Belgian something or other, not at all like an IPA.

Taste: could taste the woodiness at first few sips, then this characteristic seemed to dissipate as my tastebuds acclimated to the beer. Was surprisingly sweet and fruity. I initially liked it. A lot. Not too oaky. My buddy thought it was too fruity for an IIPA.

After a few sips, we decided that it was cloyingly and over-the-top sweet. However, it's late winter and quite cold out; we decided that this beer ice-cold on a hot and humid deck in mid-summer very well might kick ass. But today, we decided it was too sweet. Fruitiness: citrusy, but hard to tell if it's acid like grapefruit or sweet like an orange. Really needed more hops to counter this, or at least some tart citrus to cut the sweetness.

Mouthfeel: pretty smooth. Not over carbonated.

Drinkability: I had little difficulty finishing my share. A whole bottle might have made me crave some really salty potato chips or something, as it was getting pretty sweet. I definitely would not have finished the 12-oz bottle.

I initially liked the beer. I may have been influenced by the description on the label and really wanting to like it, as I like most DFH beers. But the more I drank, the more I was seeking hops and something to cut the malty, fruity sweetness. Won't buy it again.

03-02-2009 03:43:46 | More by GeeL
writerLJBerg

Oregon

2.95/5  rDev -30.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

12 oz bottle consumed on 1-24-13. Reviewed from notes

A: Translucent copper color with a settled foam on top. Bubbles speckle the glass.

N: Oak, soap, and grapefruit. A deeper inspection reveals grass, pineapple, and caramel sweetness. Pine and tree bark aromatics. Biscuit, straw, and honey. Good.

T: Bittersweet. Spruce is the front end dominant flavor with a biting brulee of burnt sugar in the middle. Yee gods, this is harsh, and not in a West Coast hop way. Pepper corn and dried pineapple combine into a divergent taste, so figure that out. Very tannic; lots and lots of oak. More bitterness, yet, somehow cloyingly sweet like hopped honey in a barrel.

M: Biting and sticky. Alcohol carries a hobo shotgun with Rutger Hauer.

O: Oak and hops can work, but when they don’t, they lead to this abrasive assault. I can’t believe the ratings for this one. Have a 2011 Doggie Claws instead.

01-28-2013 23:13:30 | More by writerLJBerg
Onibubba

Kentucky

2.98/5  rDev -29.6%

Looks nic. Beautiful clear amber with a short lived beige head. A bit of swirling brings it up again and leaves nice clinging lace. Smells of auslese and carmel. These smell assert themselves in the taste as well. So very sweet. Cloying. The taste gets better and the sips get larger after you let yourself get accustomed to the sweetnes. I think there may be hops in here somewhere, but I can't be sure ;)

Nice mouthfeel, creamy and full. Drinkability is not so good because of the sweetness and the warming alcohol. Not a bad beer, but not one I'll be buying again.

04-13-2007 12:44:19 | More by Onibubba
sirpsycho

2.98/5  rDev -29.6%

Bottle. Pours a dark amber, not much to the off-white head. Aroma is sweet, slight citrus, taste is sweet and sticky, overall, a little too sweet for me. Complex, but the sweetness is overwelming. I wonder if this would be better with a little age on it.

11-30-2008 17:54:42 | More by sirpsycho
TonyT

Poured into Brandy Snifter

I just want to first say...I love DFH Beers, been to the brewpub and they make really good beers and go out on limbs to push the envelope. Again...I really like Dogfish Head Beers.

With that said...

Why would you age an IPA? The whole point is to have the hops. What we have here is a watery malted-cask beverage with a nice ABV.

Appearance: It poured dark amber, approaching on brown, and left nice amebic lacing.

Smell/ Taste/ Mouthfeel : Again...Where are the hops???? Oh yeah, that's right, it was aged...Hops don't age well, which is why you need alot of them. Traces of malt smell were coming through, somewhat. As this beer warmed up the malts became smoother and silkier.
If I did a blind tasting...I would have never thought that this was an IPA. There is a very thin taste that has nothing jumping out.

Drinkability: You could put a couple back. It tastes better when it reaches room temperature, per the malt feel.

I would have this beer again, because it is smooth...but not because it is an IPA.

09-07-2008 05:51:16 | More by TonyT
corey0212

Connecticut

3.03/5  rDev -28.4%

Pours kind of a dark honey color, with some ruby highlights, long-lasting tan head and plenty of lacing. Boozy smell, definitely getting plenty of the oak aroma, some citrus notes in there too, but there's just a bracing alcoholic fume rising out of the glass. Tastes very sweet, borderline-syrupy, spicy oak, slightly tannic, a bit of vanilla...there's a lot going on in here. Really smooth, the consistency of this beer has been my favorite part. I'm always glad to try something from Dogfish Head, but this one just isn't for me. Definitely worth checking out, though, as there's a lot of crazy things happening here.

06-29-2008 01:11:23 | More by corey0212
ILikeGoodCider

3.08/5  rDev -27.2%

Enjoyed on 04.16.02011 from a 12oz. brown bottle poured into at 14 oz. American pint glass.

A: A nice brown-amber color with a small tan head which leaves a good amount of lacing.

S: Alcoholic caramel and a bit woody.

T: Smoother than the 90 minute and not as sweet. Balance is good. Hops are notable and piny. There is a citrus tang and a bit of a nutty finish.

M: Full and finish is surprisingly dry.

D: quite drinkable - esp. for a 10%er.

04-17-2011 01:22:54 | More by ILikeGoodCider
BierManVA

3.1/5  rDev -26.7%

Perhaps I was expecting too much from this bier. Perhaps my palate is ruined tonight for some reason or maybe this bier spent time in the hot, bright place.

For whatever reason, I am not very impressed with this.

Nice dark amber, a little flat. Average at best around aroma, flavors are nondescript.

This bottle came as a gift from a friend who aquired them on the cheap...I hope his was better.

I will re-review this in the future in all fairness. I can not see DFH releasing something of this poor a quality.

John

03-07-2005 00:02:04 | More by BierManVA
OStrungT

3.1/5  rDev -26.7%

This beer pours a slightly cloudy golden orange color, with a thick, fluffy light yellow head. The head fades very slowly, leaving a thick cutrain of lace.

This beer has a very busy aroma. I can detect some vanilla. It has a aggressive sweet caramel like aroma reminicent of a Barley Wine. It has a piney hop aroma as well. The alcohol in noticable in the aroma.

This beer tastes like it smells. Aggressive. It has a syrupy flavor also. Definately a strong grapefruit flavor too.

This beer leaves a very sweet aftertaste. It warms the throat on the way down. The alcohol is not hidden well at all. Carbonation is low.

This beer wouldnt make a good session beer. It is too aggressive, and the 10% ABV is a bit much.

Overall: I dont think this beer fits the style. To me, it is more like a barley wine. That isnt necessarly a bad thing, but I was expecting a DIPA. This beer is definately a sipper. It is decent, but I doubt I will pay $6 a 12 oz bottle again.

07-10-2010 04:01:02 | More by OStrungT
SethB2

3.13/5  rDev -26%

Poured from a bottle into a Chalice.

Pours a deep amber color and is non transparent. Little head and moderate amount of lacing. Smell is decent. I'm getting some fruit and alcohol, but surprisingly, not much in the hop department. The hops do finally make an appearance when tasted, but not a whole lot, especially for a beer that is classified as a DIPA. I'm getting a lot of fruit and vanilla and an alcohol warming. To me, this tastes like a ASA. But alas, I still like the flavor and don't want to ding it too hard for going outside it's advertised style. Mouthfeel is OK, though not spectacular along with drinkability.

To me, this tastes like a beer that got stuck in a zone somewhere between IPA and Belgian (if you can imagine that). It's a nice ale, but should really be categorized for what it is.

04-11-2006 02:07:31 | More by SethB2