2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Burton Baton - Dogfish Head Brewery

Burton BatonBurton Baton

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

This oak-aged gentle giant has been gaining popularity over the past few years and is now available year-round.

For Burton Baton, we brew two "threads," or batches, of beer: an English-style old ale and an imperial IPA.

After fementating the beers separately in our stainless tanks, they're transferred and blended together in one of our large oak tanks. Burton Baton sits on the wood for about a month.

When enjoying the Burton Baton, you'll find an awesome blend of the citrus notes from Northwestern hops melding with woody, vanilla notes from the oak. The wood also tends to mellow the 10% ABV of Burton, so tread cautiously!

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-08-2004)
View: Beers (138) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Burton Baton Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,746 | Reviews: 1,669 | Show All Ratings:
TexIndy

3.25/5  rDev -23.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle with a laser printed brewed on date on the neck. Was a rich copper color with a finger of head that slowly dissipated to a constant foam with some lacing. The aroma was hoppy but not as much as you'd expect in an ADIPA. It was really dominated by a sweetness that was quite surprising in it's intensity. I expected some sense oak aged but wow. The taste was unusual to say the least. Again not what I'd expect for an ADIPA. The sweetness was overpowering at first and then just too much to deal with as I made my way thru it. Gotta say I don't like this one very much. Out of balance and out of style. Not a drain pour but damn close. Now I gotta figure out what to do with the other 3 I have. (2.5, NA, ML, N)

03-01-2007 02:55:49 | More by TexIndy
yelterdow

3.25/5  rDev -23.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

750ml bottle from the original 2004 release with Michael Jackson's Rare Beer Tour. Served in a tasting tulip at just over fridge temperature and paired with Chaumes Veritable from France.

Appearance- Pours an attractive fiery deep amber, loud and hissing... the head fights to climb a few inches, but doesn't even remain paper thin after a minute. A few dots of lacing, without any retention.

Smell- Mature, full hop nose that carries a backbone of vanilla and wood from the oak aging.

Taste- This beer incorporates a boozy, almost whiskey cask flavor that intensifies the citrus finish. A woodsy tartness is evident throughout the time spent inside the mouth, coating the teeth and drying the palate.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- With the most subtle carbonation, the texture expands marginally to add some body to the deep, oaky flavors here. This is not an easy beer to savor, sip, or swig... but it's an adventure nonetheless. I would have loved to have tried this pre-storage just to compare.

05-26-2007 03:41:14 | More by yelterdow
sophisticated

3.25/5  rDev -23.2%

Man, was I excited to try this beer. I love 90 minute and most of what DFH offers. An oak-aged DIPA? Yes, please.

Picked up in Hingham, MA for $16 a 4 pack.

Appearance: Lovely color. Reddish amber, hazy. Small bubbly head disappears quickly leaving just a ring of foam around the top.

Smell: Upon opening the bottle, it was a whiff of pure alcohol. This was replaced by sweet malts. Now I was nervous - the last DIPA I had from DFH was the 120 minute, which was way too sweet/boozey/malty for my taste. After a while some floral hops came through as well as some pineapple/citrus.

Taste: At times, delicious. Smooth, vanilla, hops. At other times, overly sweet with the alcohol too noticeable in the taste.

Mouthfeel: Nice. Feels soft, with somewhat low carbonation and medium thickness.

Drinkability: A sipper. If the alcohol was less noticeable in the taste, I'd give it a higher rating. I liked the taste, but not enough to make me want more. I'm going to age a bottle and see if that helps.

09-08-2009 02:03:42 | More by sophisticated
kbutler1

3.25/5  rDev -23.2%

Bottle. Oak aged IPA. Pours a copper color with a big 2 finger white fluffy head. Some oak notes in the nose, thought that it would have more. More sweet smelling than hoppy but you do get some hops in the nose. The taste is pretty sweet with a pretty decent lingering bitter taste. The oak really wasn't that prevalent to me. Minimal alcohol taste. Medium mouthfeel.

09-24-2010 14:25:21 | More by kbutler1
goochpunch

3.28/5  rDev -22.5%

Bottled in January of this year.

Pours out a shimmering, viscous apricot with scant bubbles slowly rising to the top. Head starts off thin, which then settles to a thin ring leaving a few hairs of lace. The smell starts off with honey sweetness and pine resin which follows into vanilla aromas from the oak and the citrus aspect of the hops. Some alcohol is present but it isn't overbearing. Its like smelling a liquified custard of vanilla and orange zest. In the flavor, the 90 Minute certainly comes out more, in terms of the hops. The other beer this is mixed with brings on a lot of honey sweetness with dulled oak tones which are then mingled with the citrus hops. Finish is sweet with a closing bitterness from the hops and a bit of an off-putting medicinal-like alcohol quality. Too sweet. Mouthfeel is warming, slick, and heavy, with mild carbonation. Really, an interesting beer, but not wholly drinkable. The alcohol and sweetness needs to mellow out quite a bit.

03-11-2007 05:10:46 | More by goochpunch
Brent

Kentucky

3.28/5  rDev -22.5%

For me, this was an example of too much of a good thing, pumped up with so much that it just couldn't carry the burden. Heavy mouthfeel, bordering on syrupy. Powerfully sweet malt wrestled with a blunt hops attack. A bit of burn from the ETOH. Not a badly made beer, by any means, but the volume was turned up too high.

07-12-2007 18:32:09 | More by Brent
kojevergas

3.28/5  rDev -22.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

It self identifies as a blend of an imperial IPA and an old ale. I'm reviewing it as such (not as merely an imperial IPA as is currently the listed style for this beer). Picked this up in a SoCal beer store earlier tonight as it's a known classic. Granted, I'm not usually big on Dogfish Head beers, but of their beers that I do like, 120 Minute stands out - so I have high hopes seeing as this is also a high ABV imperial IPA. 12 fl oz brown glass bottle with iconic label and standard red branded pressure cap served into a conical Samuel Smith's pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. 10% ABV confirmed. Bottled 03/04/13.

Served cold, straight from the fridge - I erred on the side of imperial IPA serving temperature rather than old ale serving temperature, but if it seems to warrant some warming, I'll let it. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours an impressive six finger head of light khaki-beige colour head, nice thickness, decent cream, okay frothiness, and damn good (~8+ minute) retention for the high ABV. Not real soft looking, but it's fluffy. Quite impressed with the retention. Body colour is a vibrant clear translucent copper. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Looking spot-on for an imperial IPA, and the head retention is a highlight. No overt flaws are noticeable. Lacing is uneven, inconsistent, thin, and weak. If you told me this was half Old Ale, I doubt I'd believe you.

Sm: Sugary. Brown sugar. Wood - less a refined oak wood and more just your run-of-the-mill barrel. Perhaps more of a cedar aroma? Some spicy kick too. Light floral hop character and some buried citrus. Red/amber malts. Some red fruit - perhaps stone fruit or cherry; it's quite concealed. The flower notes come through more and more as I sniff this one out; it's hard to distinguish the floral hops from the actual flowery notes I'm getting. Very intriguing, but rather restrained for the purported complexity. No yeast character or alcohol is detectable, interestingly. It certainly doesn't fit neatly into either of the constituent styles, but it's got my attention. I'd call it a good aroma all around; I just wish it were deeper and more evocative. Below average in strength.

T: Interesting. Tannin-heavy woody notes up front. Malty woody sweetness. Some unrefined sugars - mixing with those tannins. Hop character is floral, and surprisingly restrained coming from the imperial IPA side of things. Malts definitely win the war against hops here. Some deep biscuit/toffee notes from the old ale side come off murky against the pale malt sweetness of the IPA side. Amber malts seem to edge out others for slight dominance. I do notice some alcohol, but it's decently hidden for 10%. Oak? Vanilla? No such luck on either account. The wood is of a more generic barrel or cedar character. I expected more complexity than it provides. Far more subtlety too. No yeast character comes through. Not at all acidic or harsh. Low on the esters. Balance is decent; it's not a mess but it never comes off cohesive or seamless. A slight spicy character does emerge as it warms. Not finding the stonefruit/cherry I got on the aroma. Not citrusy, nectary, oily, or piney. In fact, it's pretty disappointing in terms of hop character. Vague brown sugar. Maybe some blood orange when I look for it?

Mf: Smooth and wet. Thick and full-bodied; you won't be quaffing this one. Pretty good presence on the palate. Slight overcarbonation, but it isn't biting, harsh, or sharp. Not as soft as it could be. Sticky. Creaminess is about right for what they're after. Suits the flavour profile in a general sense. Clean and approachable, but not ideal.

Dr: One of the more interesting Dogfish Head beers I've had, to be sure. But I hoped for better. It does hide its ABV pretty well, but I wouldn't say the drinkability here is high. I wouldn't want more than one in a given night. It has none of the characteristics I want from either of the constituent styles, and it doesn't balance them particularly well, but it's still strangely likable. I'd have it again, preferably on-draught. The execution could be so much better, though. I like the concept of the beer, but I think it can be done better. I do applaud the experimentation, and I'm not disappointed by it.

Low B-

05-11-2013 05:15:57 | More by kojevergas
MiguelMandingo

3.3/5  rDev -22%

I have mixed feelings about this beer. Dogfish describes this beer as "a blend of oak-aged English strong ale and our 90 Minute I.P.A." I love their 90 Minute IPA, but was not as keen on this beer. It had a sweet quality similar to (while certainly not as extreme) Avery's The Beast Grand Cru.

Poured a 12oz. bottle into a tulip glass.

Appearance - Honey amber in color with a 1 finger foam head that quickly dissipates. Leaves a decent amount of lacing behind after each sip.

Smell - Honey, lemony citrus notes, vanilla notes, hops and the pineapple scent that I get from the 90 Minute IPA.

Taste - Sweet. Almost to the point of cloying. The sweetness seems to mask a lot of the other flavors. I can taste honey with sweet malt, and a very slight hop backend. Tastes like a 90 Minute IPA with a bottle of wildflower nectar honey poured in it. The hops bitterness shows up more in the mouthfeel than the actual flavor of the brew.

Mouthfeel - Smooth going down with a bitter finish. 10% ABV becomes apparent once the beer has warmed up a little. Medium bodied.

Drinkability - This brew was too sweet to finish fast and too heavy feeling on the stomach to have more than one in one sitting. Definitely a sipper.

I bought a 4 pack and so far I have finished three (not at one time) and set one away for aging. Hopefully aging this brew improves it a little bit. Perhaps my palate is not as developed as it should be to fully appreciate this brew.

05-29-2007 03:02:53 | More by MiguelMandingo
SWMeyer4141

3.3/5  rDev -22%

Real excited when I got this beer. Been trying to seek it out and found it at D&Q Mini Mart in Houston.

Appearance-Copper, Hazy poor. Little light. White head, leaves alot of lacing.

Smell-Apricot, Fig, Raison. Lots of alcohol. More alcohol then expected.

Taste-Sweet beer. sweeter then expected and alot of alcohol. The fruit and hops aren't coming in as much as expected.

Mouthfeel-Very sticky. Medium bodied. Heat from the alcohol.

Overall-Definition of average to me. Good, not great, not terrible. I think if I were to age this beer the alcohol would reduce and the fruits would come out. Only problem with that is I like my IPAs hoppy and fresh, and like the hops to be the main attraction.

03-16-2011 03:19:32 | More by SWMeyer4141
AWolfAtTheDoor

3.3/5  rDev -22%

Split a bottle of this on this night (or, last night) with beer buddy Phil.

Pours a dark red/brown, decent head. Below average lacing.

Malty nose, some bitterness. No real hop presence.

Sweet, malty palate. Where are the hops? Imperial IPA my ass. Bottled in late July.. something seems wrong.

Solid mouthfeel. All the mouthfeel if a DIPA without the hops..

Perhaps the beer was store or transported improperly, but not at all impressed. Won't be seeking this out again unless I know it's extremely fresh.

10-24-2011 09:57:05 | More by AWolfAtTheDoor
FuzzyGuy84

3.33/5  rDev -21.3%

12oz bottle poured into an oversized wine glass. Bottled on 1/08/2007. Consumed on 2/19/2007.

A - Pours gorgeous translucent copper color with a medium caramel colored head. Mild carbonation. True to the style, with good consistancy throughout.

S - Very pronouned hops - smelling the beer actually tickled the inside of my nose. Almost a new car smell coming through. Sweetness comes through on subsequent whiffs.

T - Caramel is the big flavor here. Extremely sweet, not as hoppy as I usually think of IPAs being (I suppose that comes from the oak aging process). Alcohol is very present as well. I like this beer, though I am confused by its classification. This bottle was low in carbonation as well as bitterness. As I continue to spend time with the beer, I find it definetely to be too sweet for me. An interesting beer though, certainly complex, which I have tried to reflect in my numerical score.

MF - Very thin, does not go down easy.

D - Definetely a sipping beer. I imagine even someone who is a big fan of this beer won't want more than one in a sitting.

02-20-2007 00:38:54 | More by FuzzyGuy84
Cresant

Kentucky

3.33/5  rDev -21.3%

Poured this 12 oz. brown bottle into a Samuel Adams glass. Bottled on 1/8/07. The body was clear and golden with an off-white 3/4 inch head. Head was creamy and lingered.

Smell was perfumy. Sweet. Fruits. Date-nut bread.

Taste was sweet like the aroma. Alcohol soaked fruit. Hops are obscure due to aging. Increased in booziness as it warmed, but mild considering the ABV of this one.

Mouthfeel was rich & full. Syrupy. Some mild alcohol sizzle.

07-12-2008 20:36:53 | More by Cresant
Bitterbill

Wyoming

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Purchased for $4.29 for the 12oz bottle.

It pours a bright and clear golden colour with an inch of foam. Not much foam but it leaves some good lacing especialy for as strong a brew as this is.

The smell is malty yet hoppy at the same time. That spells out to good balance. A bit, ok, more than a bit of alcohol also shines through.

The taste has its bitter moments...mostly pine and citrus. It has its malty moments....sweetness from caramel, some grain, more grain, a sweet honey like flavour, lots of alcohol. Plenty of woody notes that kick it up a notch and in a favourable way. Wow. I'm finding it hard to put a handle on this brew. So many good notes and yet I find it a very difficult brew to deal with and to sip on. Typical of Dogfish Head..beers brewed to the extreme and this one fits that dicription to a tee.

Medium bodied and medium carbonation though it feels syrupy at times.

Drinkability? 1 bottle at a time is more than all I can handle. Very tasty but there's just too much going on for me to get comfortable with.
I'd say, definitely make it the last brew you try on any given day. It will wrap its "hands" around you and choke the hell out of you.

05-16-2010 20:07:53 | More by Bitterbill
cbutova

3.33/5  rDev -21.3%

Didn't really like this one the first time I had it (several years ago), maybe its time for a redo.

A- Poured into a tulip with a dark red body. Creamy white cap forms to about two fingers and fills the glass off nicely. Head retention is quite good and a thick ring remains. Great, thick lace patches all over the place.

S- The big three things in the beer show right away. Big caramel from the Old Ale mixes with fresh oak hints and it is all finished off with some citrus and pine hops (the Double IPA portion). There seems to be a bit of nutty toasted hints as well.

T- Everything somehow changes here. There seems to be a clash between the big caramel, white grapes, pine resin, fresh oak and massive hops (mostly citrus and huge pine) from the Double IPA. None of this is helped by a fair alcohol presence and bitterness. It feels muddled to me.

MF- Thick and creamy body with a nice silky feel. Alcohol warms up the palate quite a bit. Bitterness also hits pretty heavily.

I love strong beers and I love both Old Ales and Double IPAs. Something just doesn't feel right to me here. Alcohol and some roast note seem to take a stand and throw off what allured to me in the aroma. Not terrible by any means but the balance of flavor is off to me and it just doesn't work out. It seems like everything is over the top somehow. Maybe with some age?

08-14-2012 02:20:11 | More by cbutova
beertunes

Washington

3.35/5  rDev -20.8%

Poured into 10oz glass. Poured a lovely golden copper color with a very thin (less than 1/8 inch) light tan head that had no retention and minimal lacing.

A surprisingly sweet hop aroma, with mostly pine notes, is what greets the nose. The flavor is also surprisingly sweet for an ImpIPA. Not the malty sweet that we're used to for balancing out over-hopped beers, but a sugary sweetness that I've not found in the style before. After the sugar rush, the piney hops tingle the tastebuds.

Body and drinkability are what is expected from the style, except that the sweetness may put some people off. Overall, a very good beer that I'll have again and certainly worth trying.

09-26-2009 22:26:26 | More by beertunes
vacax

3.35/5  rDev -20.8%

First sighting in California of this brew at Hi-Time Wine Cellars. Pours a rich mahogany color with some orange to it. Little head for a DIPA (and too dark), but thick with good retention and evidence of lacing. Aroma has brown sugar, sticky flora, oak, and alcohol. The flavor prominently features caramel malts in large quantities along with an assertive bitterness with some resinous and floral hopping. The finish maintains the floral hop flavor with an excess of caramelly cookielike malts. This beer is overloaded with its simple, cloying malt character and while it is balanced with bitterness there is not much complexity in the hop bill either. Despite all the malt and hops it is still a bit hot too. Medium to ful bodied with a tight, medium-full carbonation. I just can't get into this beer much, I just don't find this one too alluring.

03-28-2010 03:01:33 | More by vacax
Teleweizen2

From notes.

A - pours a deep coppery Orange. Large dense bubbly off white head. Spotty lacing.

S - a nice balance of malt sweetness and bold citrus hops. The oak lends some wood and a little hint of vanilla.

T - very sweet. Bitterness from the hops helps to mellow it. Bitterness lingers long after the finish. Some woody characteristics as well.

M - lighter in body. Highly carbonated.

D - decent brew. Just gets a little too sweet. Still has a nice hop flavor.

12-19-2010 00:46:20 | More by Teleweizen2
ArrogantB

Colorado

3.38/5  rDev -20.1%

The first time I drank this I thought it was really a barleywine. The second time I think I had a better feel for what they were going for. The beer is orange and has a small, short white head. The taste is similar to 90 minute but sweeter. In fact, too sweet for me. I could not taste any oak at all (or much hops for that matter).

03-12-2007 21:51:31 | More by ArrogantB
OBeerMeGreatOne

3.38/5  rDev -20.1%

Bottle date is 03/01/2010.
Pours a clear amber with a small head. Lace sticks around until the end. The smell is very sweet upfront. As it warms up a little a grapefruit smell becomes more noticeable. Tastes a lot like the smell, a little too sweet for my taste. It seems to lack the balance that their 90 min. IPA has. A little oak can be tasted and the alcohol is a little too noticeable. It's also very syrupy. Not bad but I'll take their 90 min. over this any day. I'll cellar a few and check back in on it.

06-09-2010 03:50:19 | More by OBeerMeGreatOne
Jparkanzky

3.38/5  rDev -20.1%

Poured from Bottle into Stemless balloon-wine glass.

A) Pours a murky reddish brown, with think creme head that leaves quickly but great amounts of lacing remain.

S) A little hops, and a little oak.

T) There isn't nearly as much hop flavors as one would expect (but then again, there isn't nearly as much hop aromas as one would expect) the oak is dominating, but not overpowering or unpleasant. The after-taste is a little bitter, but there is a bit of red-wine tinge to it that offsets the oak.

M) I've either had too many hoppy beers lately, or this one just doesn't fit the bill of what I would expect from a DIPA. With the lack of hoppy bite aside, the flavor spreads nicely and there is nominal alcohol bite for such a big brew.

O) It's a flavorful beer, and the oak is presented in moderation, so unlike other oak-aged IPAs/DIPAs I've had, I don't feel the need to remove splinters from my teeth 20 minutes after drinking.

04-29-2011 02:00:29 | More by Jparkanzky
TequilaSauer

3.4/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottled date: 1-18-07

Decent appearance. Amber color, not very thick. Pours some beautiful looking head that settles into next to nothing.

The first thing that came to mind upon smelling this was Samichlaus. It smells very similar to me, maybe a mix of Sami and 120 Minute. Lots of malt and dark fruit smells with a hint of honey mustard.

Holy cow, is this sweet. Lots of caramel, fruit candy and BBQ sauce in the flavors. In the mouth, flavors of wood and bourbon hit the palette. I don't know if it's the aging, but you blindfolded someone and gave them a hit of this beer, I can't imagine they'd ever guess it was a DIPA. There is a very nice hop presence on the back end, though.

Feels thick in the mouth, but it's very pleasant still.

I'm not even sure I can finish one of these. It's only 10 percent, but it seems so much stronger and thicker than that. I'd be more apt to guess the ABV was closer to 12 or 13.

I'm not sure how I feel about this beer. Dogfish occasionally wins big (the incredible Palo Santo) and loses big (Festina Peche), but this seems somewhere in the middle. It's a bit like the 120 Minute in that I appreciate what they were trying to do and it's a beer that will certainly delight many beer drinkers. It's not quite my style. I like it, but I wouldn't get a fourzie of this again.

05-11-2009 01:49:12 | More by TequilaSauer
coachdonovan

Rhode Island

3.4/5  rDev -19.6%

This is a Dogfish brew that I've somehow missed, but I'm looking forward to finally trying it. The label says "Lush and Enjoyable now... this beer ages with the best of 'em." Bottled on 6/19/09, so not exactly aged but not fresh either.

Pours a glorious crystal clear orange/red, but the little to no head doesn't top things off like it should. Aroma hits first with citrus hops (more orange than grapefruit) and then follows with caramel, apple, pear, some booze. Taste is similar, but the oakiness really comes through. This is one of the less hoppy DIPAs I've had. The bitterness shows up a bit but is quickly mellowed by the sweet bready malts.

Spicy alcohol in the finish, but I would have guessed less than 10%. I would have liked carbonation to be a little higher but I guess that's to be expected with this abv. Usually my problem with DIPA's is too much over the top hoppiness, but I think in this case the malt sweetness was overdone. Well-made, but not one of my favorites.

04-18-2010 02:42:10 | More by coachdonovan
vkv822

Oregon

3.41/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

12oz : tulip
bottled on: 11/12/12

Lightly hazy, burnt orange with a foamy off white head.

Aroma is similar to a hoppy barleywine, with citric hops blended with oak, caramel and biscuit notes.

Taste is quite similar to the aroma, with some alcohol warmth in the finish.

Medium body, with low carbonation.

A decent, pleasant beer but nothing too spectacular. It really just reminds me of a middle of the road American barleywine.

01-31-2013 09:20:17 | More by vkv822
budsboy

3.43/5  rDev -18.9%

Pours clear, reddish, with a small white head. The head that stays is a sticky, gooey oil slick on top. I love that.

Hints of oak are in there, I suppose, if you really want it to be. There is a mellow maltiness wafting up chased by a more potent floral hop aroma, with a hint of roasted bread, but just a hint. Inviting, although I expect more hop aroma than I got.

Oh, well. This is a bit of a disappointment. No, no, it's good. Really. It's just not of the holy-cow ilk. Sweet. Very sweet. Sugary malt dominates. A hint of berry-like tartness near the finish, and a shot of flowery hops towards the end. Well balanced. Complex and round and full. Alcohol is well hidden. But this is mild for a 2IPA. Don't expect big-shouldered American hop-head heaven. This is an all-grown-up, sophisticated, six-figure-income pale ale.

Smoooth with the extra "o." Full in the mouth. Heavy in the belly. Like pastry.

Not my style. Actually, 2IPA is my style, but not this one. Kind of makes my teeth hurt. Too sweet for me to enjoy more than one.

03-31-2005 18:43:29 | More by budsboy
mattcrill

3.43/5  rDev -18.9%

Here we go...an oak aged imperial IPA. Let's see what oak does for IPAs. Thanks go out to BA bro cmaruschak for grabbing this one for me.

Appearance: Pours crystal clear orange heading toward a dusty light red with an off white, sudsy cap.

Smell: A little light on the nose. Some light, carmel malts and some bittering hops. Nothing to get excited about.

Taste: Some woody, musty taste up front (presumably from the oak), some bittering hops in the background, and a brush of carmel and citrus sweetness. The alcohol really shows up for business as this beer warms. Wow, this really isn't doing much for me. It tastes like it's blended well and has good character but this is more like a pale ale to me. It definitely tastes "aged" to me in that the hops are tamped down a bit. I like my double IPAs to hit me with hops or malts or both. This doesn't really do either.

Mouthfeel: Medium to light bodied and thin. Leaves a little hop bitterness on the palate but pretty light.

Drinkability: I could see me going through a few of these but with the higher ABV, I wouldn't. Still, not much of a challenge for the palate. I think throwing the aged stuff in there kind of dumbs this beer down a bit. I like my IPAs fresh.

Thanks again to cmaruschak for the opportunity to sample this rare one.

04-23-2005 22:44:16 | More by mattcrill