Burton Baton - Dogfish Head Brewery

Burton BatonBurton Baton

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: Todd on 12-08-2004

This oak-aged gentle giant has been gaining popularity over the past few years and is now available year-round.

For Burton Baton, we brew two "threads," or batches, of beer: an English-style old ale and an imperial IPA.

After fementating the beers separately in our stainless tanks, they're transferred and blended together in one of our large oak tanks. Burton Baton sits on the wood for about a month.

When enjoying the Burton Baton, you'll find an awesome blend of the citrus notes from Northwestern hops melding with woody, vanilla notes from the oak. The wood also tends to mellow the 10% ABV of Burton, so tread cautiously!

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Burton Baton Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,785 | Hads: 6,165
4.47/5  rDev +7.5%

A: Poured into a Piraat tulip, moderately aggressively, resulting in an orangey-red body when held up to backlighting -- back down on the table, it appeared more ambery-orange. Just a slight bit of murkiness kept this from being crystal clear. A cream-colored head quickly settled down from about an inch high from the pour to about a half-inch, where it sat for awhile. No rings of lace at all, though some splotches clung to the glass momentarily as I drank it.

S: Not particularly strong at first, but more so as it warmed. Caramel malt, maple syrup, and whiskey-like alcohol. You can tell from the nose that this is a potent beer, but it's not a harsh, burning cheap-vodka alcohol smell at all, but rather a warm, inviting waft of booze, like a good whiskey or cognac, perhaps. Nice.

T: Sweeter than expected given the alleged style (DIPA): caramel malt, butterscotch and candied tropical fruit flavors give it the sweetness. Vanilla shows up too as it warms. There's an oaky dry finish that's followed by the alcohol in the back of the throat and down the hatch. That dryness lingers, presenting a nice balance to the dominant sweetness in the front of the mouth.

M: Medium- to full-bodied and on the lower end of carbonation -- which feels proper given the taste and heft. Real smooth in overall feel.

D: Very good to excellent, especially for a beer of this strength. It's a sipper, but it's not hard to go through the 12 oz bottle real fast.

Notes: I believe this bottle's been in my cellar for about 14 months. I drank one when it was fresh and it's my recollection (I didn't review it at the time) that it was more harsh all around. It seems to have mellowed quite nicely in the year or so in the cellar. . . . A note on the style: it's misleading to call this a DIPA. I believe it's a 50/50 blend, with their 90 Minute DIPA making up just one half of the equation. In taste, it's lacking the hop assault most of us expect from a DIPA. In many ways it seems to be more like a barleywine. Whatever you call it, I enjoyed it and would definitely recommend it as a night-time sipper, especially on a cold night. (2,134 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -5%

Pours a nice clear coppery gold, nice rising head that leaves a ton of lacing.
Smell is trademark Dogfish Head sweetness. Super sweet hops, but the sweetness overcomes the bitterness.
Taste is much more complex, honey sweet malts, vanilla, oak, alcohol in the after. Very nice with a sticky, thick mouthfeel.
Drinkability only suffers by the over the top sweetness and high ABV.
Probably one of my favorite DFH brews. (423 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +10.1%

I swear the last four or five beers I've reviewed have looked just like this. blood orange/mahagony with a thick retentive head that leaves some great lace behind. If Mr. Clean were a brewmaster his beers would most defnitely resemble this.

Loamy, piney very etheral hops mesh very well with the subtle yet stubborn oak aromas. Vanilla, toasted almond, light nutty and dried berry notes.

Have to admit I had this last year and really didn't care for it. Well this years to me is a night and day difference and one of the better tasting beers I've had in a long....long time. Rich sweet vanilla, meringue, oak. Nuts again with more dried fruits. Nicely hopped with again earthy type of resiny buds. RS is much higher than anticipated. Very chewy, and gummy mouthfeel. Delicious, almost a dessert drink. Huge, complex, and in your face. (840 characters)

3.61/5  rDev -13.2%

yet another off beat brew from DFH. Love how they keep putting out new high quality stuff. A blended IPA labled as an Imperial and noted here as an American DIPA. I love category messes like this. How is this germaine to the review? Thanks for asking. I've run accross similar blending techniques prominently noted on the bottles of English and Belgian beers. Based on the sweet malty oaky flavors, high ABV and injection of fresh life to an aged beer by blending, I would look at this as more of a old ale or lighter barleywine than a DIPA.

I've noted my scores based on a DIPA or Imp IPA category. Just not hopy enough IMO to qualify. That said, I wouldn't change it. This tastes quite good and since I'm a barleywine fan rather than an IPA fan, I think it's better than their 90 min IPA.

FWIW - I would give them higher props if they would also step beyond the current hop craze marketing and use their rep and brews like this to bring other styles to the forefront. Instead, they lump this in the IPA hop craze category. Of course I don't have to sell this beer in hopes of making a profit so it's only my .02. (1,121 characters)

3.66/5  rDev -12%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12oz. bottle. It pours out of the bottle like a thick elixir. The beer is a beautifully clear deep amber color, with a half-inch beige head. The head impressively lasts all the way to the bottom of the glass.

The aroma is full of wood and alcohol and a faint burnt scent. The strong smell of alcohol though, overpowers other smells.

In this beer I taste caramel, butterscotch, and a lingering orange flavor. The mouthfeel is very full and thick.

This beer is fairly drinkable, but not fantastic. I find it too sweet, almost barleywine-like. It is nice from time to time, but I wouldn't be interested in drinking many of them in one sitting. (664 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

a - deep burnt oragne color, fairly clear, one-finger off-white head with little retention and lacing

s - very citrusy hop smell, orange prominent, oak and vanilla notes, alcohol evident

t - sweet citrusy hop flvaor up front with a nice malty backbone, oak and vanilla provide a nice depth, finish is very smooth with only a slight alcohol presence and lots of vanilla, this is where the oak aging is most evident, taking the bitterness out of the finish

m - moderate carbonation, medium-bodied

d - quite drinkable, not very harsh at all as the alcohol is very well masked, could enjoy a few of these

Really great brew from DFH. This doesn't seem like a DIPA to me, but whatever style it is, it's good. Great variation of the 90 min in my opinion. Just wish this wasn't so pricey. (795 characters)

3.67/5  rDev -11.8%

Pours a light amber color with a mondo light tan head that resists fading and leaves behind a significant lacing pattern. It's clear, but very bubbly.

I'm struggling with the smell; not very aggressive. I guess it's more characteristic of an ESB than an IPA (or an oak aged IPA ta'boot). My numeric score is going to take a hit, but i guess that's how the cookie crumbles.

I like the flavor a lot though. The mouth feel is thick and creamy. I get a sweet malt flavor, caramel, brown sugar, a little smoke and some spice. I'm not getting the champaign-like feel that i thought i would with the effervescence that i noted.

The alcohol isn't noted in the mouth, but it is quite evident on the ride down. I could easily enjoy one more. The smell rating is going to skew my total score lower than my overall satisfaction with the product. I plan on buying another 4 pk and squirrel it away for the barbecue season. (919 characters)

2.38/5  rDev -42.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

V.07

Great looker - nice deep amber coloring, with a thick gel-like appearance that allows only light carbonation. Very large alcohol rim. A typical olde ale/barleywine presentation.
Huge alcohol presence that stings, with a woody backnote. Some floral notes, that is stomped by more alcohol.
A syrupy, cloying mess that has more off-balanced wood than a boy with a Mature rated anime collection. One part simple syrup, one part rubbing alcohol, and one -quarter part attic wood and a dash of vanilla. Impressive?
NOTE - This actually becomes a great nightcap sipper if left open for a while. It numbs the gums, and it should have a little more definition. This could only pair with a cigar. (697 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +1%

12 oz bottle poured in a tulip glass.

Appearance - Pours a slightly hazy copper, with a 2 finger thick creamy head and some sticking to the sides of the glass.

Smell - Floral hops, lots of oak, and a slight malt sweetness

Taste/Mouthfeel - Very silky and creamy mouthfeel up front, with a low to medium carbo bite. Very sweet flavor, slight vanilla notes, that is borderline cloying, but it kept in check by the floral and piney hops.

Drinkability - Very delicious. DFH are the masters of making very drinkable strong ales, and certainly succeed here. Amazing.

I'm not sure if this should be labeled a double IPA, to me there's a enough malt backbone here to classify it as an American strong ale. Those looking for a big hop bomb may be disappointed. This is one fantastically complex brew, and truly a pleasure to drink. Love it. (846 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

12oz brown bottle from Florian's. Dark copper-red translucent body with a half an inch of light tan head. Hops dominate the aroma though there's a generous dallop of malt to support - reminds me of 90 minute but with more malt. Tastes hoppy and sweet, with vanilla, alcohol and a hint of metalic twang. A bit lighter bodied than expected with a bit of syrupyness to it, though not thick enough to be sticky. Becomes more balanced as I get more used to it. Fairly drinkable for the ABV. Not a bad beer, though I think I'll be sticking with the 90 minute (or 60 minute for that matter). (584 characters)

2.84/5  rDev -31.7%

Impossibly hazy with a decent tiny little bit of head (that disappears rather quickly). Color is a dark apple-cider orange. Glorious. As if it's encased in amber (the Jurassic kind, not the Irish kind). Has a few little random specks of lace. Perfect.

Massive colossal hop aroma, almost like burnt wood. Smells not just of woodsy hops, but of actual wood. I feel like I just came out of building a deck. It's oak (or so says the bottle). Unlike anything I have ever smelled.

This is a thoroughly rich and unbelievably overpowering brew. Major sawdust wood flavor. The hops are transformed into a malty, milky flavorburst. Has a saccharine-sweet undertone, and that's not a compliment. Absolutely overwhelming. Major alcohol taste. They just threw everything in this beer, everything including the kitchen sink; it's just too much. The flavor is complex but not enjoyable.

Seriously milky and creamy. Incredible post-swallow tongue presence. Very very very very thick. Wow. It practically oozes.

This is not an easy beer to drink. It's a heavy, brutal brew. If this were a beer drinking video game, this brew would be the final "Boss." Insane. It is way beyond what I consider enjoyable drinking. Glad I only bought one. To me, this is the exact example of what happens when good beer goes Imperial. It's just overwhelming for the sake of being overwhelming. (1,371 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -6.7%

I don't know about double IPA, by bottle reminded me a lot more of an American strong ale (which is blended into the beer with 90 min). There was a big, sweet malt presence, even a little syrupy and that's just too much for anything that's in the IPA family. Still, it was a pretty good beer, but like some of the dogfish beers i've tried, the flavor profile reminds me of a wine's flavor in that it's rich with very subtle flavors. I got random hints of wood (oak) out of this along with citrus hop notes. Worth a try, but a bit spendy. (537 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours perfectly clear, with a measured, bright, off-white head that leaves a dusting of bubbles on the surface and a collar around the edges. The color is a dark shade of amber with brown highlights. The nose isn't quite what I expected from the description on the bottle -- it's much less hoppy than I thought it would be. Instead, the vanilla notes are very powerful and backed by a grainy malt note that I usually associate with brown ales or possibly alt biers. On the palate, the first sensation is a huge oaky sweetness; it's a big, juicy, fruity (strawberry?) and vanilla sweetness. At first the sweet notes are nice, but they start to get cloying at the mid-palate and in the finish. The trouble is that the palate isn't composed of a whole lot other than that sweetness; it's unbalanced by bitterness. Mouthfeel is thick and a bit heavy, with medium carbonation. Overall, this is a sweet-bomb with some nice characteristics and smoothness, but it's not worth the high price tag. (987 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +1.9%

Being a huge fan of Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA, I absolutely had to try this when I found it at my local beer and wine retailer.

A - Burton Baton pours a deep, dark copper. This beer is very clear with faint traces of carbonation rising to the top of the glass. Head development is huge and rocky.

S - Fairly hoppy, but not as much as I expected. Aroma is slightly spicy with hints of pine.

T - Taste is extemely sweet and alcoholic with a slight vanilla flavor. This is very cloying at first, but the sweetness mellows after a few moments. Whatever hop character is present in the beer is quickly overwhelmed by its sweetness, unfortunately.

M - With its high alcohol content, this beer is warming. Carbonation appears muted, however.

D - Definitely not drinkable in mass quantities, but one or two bottles can be enjoyed in a sitting. This beer is best sipped due to its strong character and dominant flavors.

Overall, very enjoyable; I'll be picking up more of this if it's still available. (1,011 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -10.3%

I'd been looking forward to trying this beer ever since NC relaxed it's beer law regarded alcohol content. I missed out on it last year, so as soon as I saw some on the shelves in 2007, I eagerly picked up a couple of 4-packs. The beer poured a brilliant amber color with a small wispy head that left some lacing on the glass. There was lots of malty sweetness in the aroma along with some notes of honey and spicy hops. Being a DIPA, I expected a lot more hop in the aroma. Taste was quite sweet and malty with some notes of maple syrup, grape, vanilla and oak. Hop flavor was there, but didn't really stand out until the beer got closer to room temp. Alcohol was very well hidden. Drinkability was good for a high alcohol brew. I was expecting a hop bomb and never got it. This beer reminds me alot of DFH's Olde School barleywine. It's very sweet and the hops never go over board. It's a good beer, but not in the DIPA category as stated on the bottle. (955 characters)

Very small head presence on this one which quickly died away, leaving a small amount of lacing on my pint glass. Appearance is a copper/amber hue and carbonation is very present in this one. Smells of sweet malts with tones of vanilla and oak. Interesting combination here, the hops have certainly met their match as they are undetectable to the nose. Can't say that for many DIPA's.
Taste is also dominated by the vanilla/oak wood flavors. We begin with sweet malt followed up with a smooth oak that brings us to a mildly warming alcohol finish. The heavy carbonation helps balance out the sweet malt here for an impressively drinkable double. While the 10% is detectable, it isn't offensive and fits in nicely to the many flavors of Burton Baton. (750 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +3.8%

12oz. bottle

Pours a clear copper color with a small cream colored head that recedes. Mild, speckled lacing on the glass.

Aroma is sweet and caramel malty with nice tones of vanilla and oak with hints of hops here and there. Slightly buttery smelling as it warms. I would have guessed this to be a superb English barleywine by the smell.

Taste is sweet with rich caramel malty flavors upfront. A tapestry of vanilla, oak, hops are woven in. Buttery flavor comes through as well, can't decide if it's a product of diacetyl or the blend of so many flavors. It's just packed full of so many complex flavors that are extremely complimentary of each other. The only thing holding this back from being a 5, is the sweetness - which remains right through the finish and lingers a bit.

Full body, light carbonation, mildly syrupy.

Very drinkable, especially for the big ABV. The sweetness is mildly distracting, but the depth of flavor will keep you coming back for more. Definitely mis-categorized as a DIPA, this beer more closely resembles an English barleywine (if anything). (1,087 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -13.9%

Boy-o-boy was I excited to try this oak-aged IPA. I'm a fan of almost all-things DFH, so when the Burton Baton hit the shelves this year I grabbed a couple of bottles.

From the 1/08/07 batch, poured into a belgian snifter. Appears a bright amber/orange color with thick, creamy two-finger head. Some thinnish lacing left along the glass as the beer recedes. The smell is sweet, with notes of oak and hops and citrus and pepper. The taste really packs a punch. Crazy malted citrus flavor up front. Think of a juiced-up half-grapefruit, half-raisin on steroids; it strikes under the tongue extremely sharp. But unlike most double IPAs that I've had, the hops never really develop in the finish. I kept waiting for them to attack the back of the tongue and throat, but they never did. The malty sweetness of the beer is almost too overwhelming here, almost syrupy at times; it needs a higher dose of hops (and I've NEVER said that about any DFH brews before) to counter the malt and the oak here. They just seem to take the reigns early, and never really give back control to the hops. Too bad, too, because the Burton Baton has a lot of potential. Still, it's not a bad brew. I've got one in the cellar that I plan on giving a go in about a few months, maybe a year. (1,268 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +10.6%

Poured into a pint glass from the bottle. A nice looking beer, amber hues and a light tan foamy head. Sticky lacing. The hops smell sweet and piny at the same time. The taste is quite interesting: The two IPA's being blended both show themselves separately. Up front there is a smooth but resiny taste then it transitions into a full bodied, bold, and almost malty sweet double IPA. The oak takes any kind of edge off of this strong brew. The end of it is the best part with it's almost caramelized, super-sweet taste removing any chance of alcohol burn. (554 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle dated 1/08/07...drinking it 1/ 29 / 07.
Clear dark amber..almost no head in my DFH snifter.
Smells mostly of steely malt with hints of vanilla,caramel and citrus.
Let this one warm up...I took a few sips out of the fridge and it tasted like a vanilla-coke with lemon....before they add the seltzer.
As it warms , layers of flavor open up. Very, very sweet, heavy ,steely malt ,caramel and vanilla ( just like the smell)..lots of different citrus fruits...bitter orange and lemon mostly, and maybe even a bit of peach.The oak flavor is more pronounced and the alcohol taste and warming do their thing. A slight bitter aftertaste accompanies the cloying sweet caramel candy finish.
Mouthfeel is off the scale dense, with little carbonation.
This is a good slow sipping after dinner treat that could last the better part of an evening....and at $17 a 4-pack, you shouldn't rush this one. (897 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +7.5%

Clear copper body with lots of carbonation. Dimpled, creamy white head with a tint of orange. Moderate retention and abit of lace.
Powerful caramel and resin scent right away followed by even stronger caramel and brown sugar, abit of honey, apricot and grassy hay.
Sweet muscled caramel flavor perfectly balanced with a resin hop profile that stays very constant through. Raisens and honey come through more as the beer warms. A touch of warming alcohol and an aftertaste of almost pine hop flavors and delicious caramel.
Good full body and plenty of coating. Slick and wet finish.
Highly drinkable. Strong, sweet and mellow.

-Oelergud (642 characters)

3.97/5  rDev -4.6%

Poured a nice thick yellowish head that fades slowly to a film leaving some curtains of lace. Sweet juicy hop aroma. Sweet malt flavor similar to a double bock, but then it's joined by flavorful West Coast hops. Thick mouthfeel is on it's way to being syrupy. Tons of flavor, but almost too sweet. I think two of these is my limit. (331 characters)

3.66/5  rDev -12%

From a 12oz bottle, pours a brilliant clear copper with a thin and quickly-disappearing head. It looks thick in the glass, with a few slowly rising bubbles. Given the backbone of this ale, its aroma is suprisingly muted -sweet hop resins, caramel, and a slightly metallic twang. The first sip is thick and sweet upfront, with a buffered bitterness that rolls off the back of the tongue. It has many of the character features of a strong ale, but is thicker, sweeter, and has a hop profile that comes out of left field (the chewy bubblegum flavors of simcoe or amarillo -hard to tell). Burton Baton is oak aged, but this ale is not particularly oakey.

Overall, a pretty good and (as always) interesting offering from the people at Dogfish Head. It's far from a session beer, or even its easier drinking high alcohol peers from the Belgian family, but definitely worth a good tasting. (885 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +1%

Appearance: Very attractive brilliant orange/red color, sparklingly clear for a bottle conditioned beer. Decent head, off-white, retention is okay. Lacing is less than impressive, perhaps due to the 10% abv.

Smell: Very reminiscent of DFH 90 minute IPA. Same malt/hop profile, but perhaps a little bit more mellow and complex. A hint of oak poking through. Very nice.

Taste: Surprisingly sweet at the front of the palate - too sweet, I think. Some citrusy fruit follows... Definitely some honey, along with the hops bitterness. Not as much oak as I was expecting - I'd have liked to try this before it was blended. Aftertaste reminds me of cream soda - maybe it's the vanilla from the oak coming through. In some ways barleywine-like.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth, creamy. Well-carbonated. Good!

Drinkability: I just wish it wasn't so sweet... Limits drinkability for me, personally, but I enjoyed all that I had. (919 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Love the color. Very intriguing. Rich, deep orange, unfiltered. The head retention is amazing considering we have been saving this bottle for over a year. The smell is complex and bold for the style. You get a lot of malt up front followed by a hint of citrus. The nose is much bolder than the initial taste. (If the nose was indeed the taste, this would be even more amazing.) For a 10% ABV it's very drinkable. One of my favorite aspects of the flavor is the hint of buttermel, that's right buttermel - that's wosion (woo-shun) (word fusion) of Butterscotch and Caramel... especially present in the aftertaste. One of the few problems is the mouthfeel. This beer just doesn't want to waste time sitting in your mouth... it wants to go to it's home... deep down into my belly. (777 characters)

Burton Baton from Dogfish Head Brewery