Burton Baton - Dogfish Head Brewery

Burton BatonBurton Baton

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: Todd on 12-08-2004

This oak-aged gentle giant has been gaining popularity over the past few years and is now available year-round.

For Burton Baton, we brew two "threads," or batches, of beer: an English-style old ale and an imperial IPA.

After fementating the beers separately in our stainless tanks, they're transferred and blended together in one of our large oak tanks. Burton Baton sits on the wood for about a month.

When enjoying the Burton Baton, you'll find an awesome blend of the citrus notes from Northwestern hops melding with woody, vanilla notes from the oak. The wood also tends to mellow the 10% ABV of Burton, so tread cautiously!

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Burton Baton Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,816 | Hads: 6,281
3.65/5  rDev -12.7%

dogfish head burton baton pours up dark copper and brilliant with a soft white head the fell into a thin haze covering the beer.
the aroma is malt, hop, citrus, bourbon, and vanilla
the flavor is malty, carmelized malt, spice, little peppery, hop sack, resin, bourbon , and a hint of oak, with a warming of alcohol.

4.23/5  rDev +1.2%

Pours a beautifully clear amber with a thin white head that quickly dissapates and some nice lacing around the edges. Wow, what a sweet malty aroma! I also picked up some mild hoppiness & alcohol.

Taste is big on sweet malt up front with some hints of vanilla & oak. Nice but not overly hoppy finish that seems to stick to the tongue. Nice thick, sweet body with some great carbonation that really sticks it in the end.

Wow, Dogfish does it again! A fantastic blend of a strong ale & their IPA products that is a perfect blend of both.

2.88/5  rDev -31.1%

Purchased 12 oz bottle from Martignetti's

This is quite different from the 90/60 minute. I don't know how they made it 10% as it's downright evil in how well it hides its alcohol content. There's a lot of sugar in this so if you don't like beers on the sweet side, it's going to disagree with your palate. The more I drink it, the more the taste doesn't agree with me. It's got a very herb-like aftertaste that doesn't mix well with the initial sweetness. I'm really have a hard time finding the hops in what's supposed to be a double IPA. Mouthfeel is a bit weak and watery at the end.This was one of those beers where the first sip was the best...better to save it for a 1 oz tasting.

3.57/5  rDev -14.6%

Executive Summary: This is another example of DFH creativity taking you on a trip that is often dizzying at times. The intent is noble, but I get the feeling that they got in their own way on this. When I see a blend of a fresh and an aged IPA, I don't expect a sweet sipper. Not that it's bad...it's just not focused on a central theme.

2007 Edition

Appearance: Crystal clear copper/amber pour into my snifter. Off-white head starts thin and quickly reduces to a bubbly film. Lacing is persistent.

Smell: More hops in the nose than I remember it from a previous version. It smells a lot like the 90 minute - with that sweet underbelly. Perhaps some evidence of the oak aging here, but that may just be in my head.

Taste: Sweet malt with alcohol running throughout. Some hop flavor, but its arrival is muted by the spicy sweetness and its presence is overtaken by a pulse of alcoholic heat. Elements of oak are faint, but noticeable. Flavor is nice - don't get me wrong - but I'm left a little disoriented and don't know exactly what this is trying to be.

Mouthfeel: Not as viscous or sticky going down as I had expected, and that's a good thing. Given the above elements, I think that would have pushed me over the edge. Still leaves stickiness on your lips, of course.

Drinkability: Not really one of which I'd have more than one at a time.

3.85/5  rDev -7.9%

Served from bottle into standard pint glass.

Pours a crystal clear medium amber. About a 1/4 inch off white head. Average retention, but a decent amount of lace.

Aroma is malty with some hop presence, but not nearly what I was expecting. A touch of alcohol is evident as well. Vanilla comes out after it warms.

Flavor is malty, with sweet fruits. Finish is fairly sweet, and I get maybe a hint of oak with clear vanilla notes (especially after it warms up). Hops don't really make an impression until the finish, but even then they are fairly mild. Only a slight bitterness into the aftertaste, with a hint of alcohol as well.

Medium to full body, with fairly mild carbonation. Thick, syrupy mouthfeel. Balance is quite good, and there is evident alcohol warming. I'm not sure what to make of this beer. I don't get any of the citrusy hops the label/website makes you think you'll find, and I really had to let it warm up before I started getting the vanilla notes. It's certainly not a bad beer, and is actually pretty interesting....but to me it's nothing like what I was expecting. It's a nice mellow, warming beer...would be great in the winter. Very drinkable, but high ABV keeps it from being sessionable.

4.55/5  rDev +8.9%

Bottle Inspection: 12 brown bottle, Label gives: 10% abv., notes that it can age well. No date or vintage. Blended oak aged and fresh IPA, mmm…

Aroma: Sweet sticky malt spiked with fresh picked sticky hops. Hops are citric and fresh and blend with a mild bourbon oak. Hop perfume, very attractive.

Appearance: Bright clarity in a copper glass. Moderate pour gives a thin cover, which given the abv. is respectable. The cover retreats to a collar, but only after curtains of lace. Tiny carbonation bubbles rise slowly.

Flavor: Malt is rich with almost a doppelbock flavor. The taste slowly fades over to a full alpha acid bath in the finish that manages to keep this malt bomb from going cloy. As the glass warms and my palate adjusts, I can note a familiar “DFH” flavor which I have to assume is their house yeast, though it might just be a similar hop profile.

Mouthfeel: Viscous and heavy, I think it took three swallows to get the first sip down. Big chew and a Valdez of an oil spill at the back end.

Overall Impression: I’ve heard this described as a 105 minute IPA, a middle ground between the 90 and 120. It’s not too far off. It’s a happy middle ground. Just a great beer, glad to see it here in Texas!

3.43/5  rDev -17.9%

The first time I drank this I thought it was really a barleywine. The second time I think I had a better feel for what they were going for. The beer is orange and has a small, short white head. The taste is similar to 90 minute but sweeter. In fact, too sweet for me. I could not taste any oak at all (or much hops for that matter).

3.18/5  rDev -23.9%

I always seem to have a hard time reviewing DFH because of their take on brew are a bit extreme. Which is a good thing. Burton Baton left me wondering if this is true DIPA. Poured a clear amber hue with a very small off white almost cream head. The head was virtually gone and left no lace on glass. The sweet aroma of malt was overpowered by the ester scent of alcohol. The flavor was surprisingly sweet and not very hoopy at all. I had trouble tasting the caskwood (oak). The funny thing is that I could drink this brew all night long, very smooth, medium to full body, syrupy and softly carbonated the way I enjoy them. I wish it was more bold in flavor.

4.24/5  rDev +1.4%

12 oz brown bottle poured into my St. Feuillien snifter.

Nice aroma; fruity and sweet with a malty character.

The beer is thick and very sweet; not hoppy at all as I'd expect from an IPA but more characteristic of a Belgian strong ale. It's balanced well and the oak aging definitely makes a strong impression, both in the smell and character of the beer as well as the mellowed out flavor. I'd love to try this one aged for a few years.

Overall a fantastic beer, although not quite what I expected from a Double IPA. It's easy to drink, sweet and well-balanced. Dogfish Head has another winner on their hands; now if only they could lower the price and make it available to the masses!

3.94/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle poured into a snifter glass. Bottled in January 2007.

Pours a bronze, copper color. Thin head that leaves some lacing around the edge of the glass. Has a sweet smell, not the citrus smell I expected from an IPA.

Taste is very sweet, but it has a nice balance to it. Not too much of an IPA, not too overpowering with the oak flavors. Still, it could probably use a little time to allow the alcohol to mellow out.

A slow sipper. I took my time and allowed it to warm up a little before finishing it off. A nice beer, but I'll probably put some away and try again in a year.

3.35/5  rDev -19.9%

Bottled in January of this year.

Pours out a shimmering, viscous apricot with scant bubbles slowly rising to the top. Head starts off thin, which then settles to a thin ring leaving a few hairs of lace. The smell starts off with honey sweetness and pine resin which follows into vanilla aromas from the oak and the citrus aspect of the hops. Some alcohol is present but it isn't overbearing. Its like smelling a liquified custard of vanilla and orange zest. In the flavor, the 90 Minute certainly comes out more, in terms of the hops. The other beer this is mixed with brings on a lot of honey sweetness with dulled oak tones which are then mingled with the citrus hops. Finish is sweet with a closing bitterness from the hops and a bit of an off-putting medicinal-like alcohol quality. Too sweet. Mouthfeel is warming, slick, and heavy, with mild carbonation. Really, an interesting beer, but not wholly drinkable. The alcohol and sweetness needs to mellow out quite a bit.

3.95/5  rDev -5.5%

Paid $13.99 for a 4-pk. Ouch. Better be good.

Brilliantly crystal clear, orange brown color with garnet shimmer in the right light. No noticable head but appreciable lacing. Smell is hops & spice - citrus, cinnamon, pine, licorice, sweet caramel malt. Taste is all dogfish. Heavy heavy malt, almost a honeyness to it. Very complicated taste. Reminds me of Raison d'etre at first. Hops are there but not as dominant or even as playful as a standard IPA. This isn't a 90-min recipe redone. Seems like they're going for more class here. It works too. The betas are present here - there's a bit of medicine and a sharp dryness. Whisky. Maple. Charcoal. Also some bubblegum, but that vanishes fast. Mouthfeel is sharp bubble and a bit too sticky.

3.61/5  rDev -13.6%

From a December 2005 bottle that I've had cellaring for a year or so.

A: Dark orange or copepr depending on the light, with a creamy head that rings the beer beneath.

S: Sweet fruit and strong alcohol. Maybe the cellaring caused the hops to mellow out, but there is little indication from the bouquet that this is a DIPA, even an oak-aged one.

T: Yup...the sweet fruit and strong alcohol play out here also. There's a crisp, bitter finish but otherwise the hops are well-bleneded into this brew. The bitterness in the finish is almost woody.

M/D: Heavy and creamy. The oak adds a dimension of smoothness to this BB's overall texture that gives the beer a great balance and overall feel--it even manages to showcase a pronounced alcohol flavor without the hotness that might otherwise alter this beer's mouthfeel.

Overall, this is a "DIPA" in the same vein as Founders Devil Dancer. It pushes the limits of the DIPA style to where it merges into a barley wine. A complex and nicely balanced strong ale from Dogfish Head.

2.9/5  rDev -30.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Another over the top beer from DFH. I was going to pan Mahaffey's Pub (in Baltimore) for describing this beer as a double IPA, but sure enough, that's how DFH characterizes it as well.

The overall flavor I got out of this was sweetness. There was a bit of refreshing hoppiness in the finish, but not much. In fact, I found this beer to be so sweet that, coupled with the high abv., I found it to be not very drinkable at all. Like the 120 minute IPA, the smell and taste of sweetness is so overwhelming that it's difficult to detect any hop presence.

According to the menu at Mahaffey's, this beer is oak aged. I guess that could account for some of the sweetness, but surely something else must have been added to make it that sweet (though the website says that it's a blend of the 90 minute and an oak-aged english strong ale). In any event, this just is not a style of beer I personally care for, and is not a beer I will be ordering again.

I simply do not understand DFH's love affair with oak.

2.96/5  rDev -29.2%

served into a large flared tulip glass from a 12oz long neck brown bottle with a crimped on cap bottled on date 1/8/07.

Deep,amber/reddish color with a golden hue.Off white head dissapated quickly into a constiant layer of foam. Spotty lacing with lots of tiny strings of tighly knitted bubbles racing from the center of the glass.

Fruity aromas with a charred wood aroma with oaky notes.Earthy,floral,no real hop aromas a bit grassy. Moderate aromas with good complexity.

Very sweet,sugary lots of booziness. A woody,oaky taste is very present. Earthy,grassy finishes with a dry,crisp,clean bitteness that lingers on the palate. Good balance,very sugary and boozy.

Very dry and creamy leaves a sugary coating all over the palate. A sipper for sure,had a hard time finishing a bottle a bit too sugary for me overall, would be an interesting beer to age.

4.37/5  rDev +4.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Ruination glass (the 4-pack cost $14 in Columbus). The bottle states it's a mixture of fresh and aged imperial IPA's. Based on all my impressions, it seems to be fresh 90 minute mixed with some aged 120 minute. This is an almost ideal combination, as the 90 minute is a perfect IPA but the 120 minute is too agressive of a DIPA. In between must be pretty good DIPA territory.

The beer's appearance is similar to 90 minute, crystal clear copper color with a thin off-white head. The flavor is a complex mix of hops and malts, a lot of both were poured into the beer's component ales. There was some fruity character in there as well, which I also detected a lot of in 120 minute. The mouthfeel was thicker than 90 minute but lighter than the molasses-like 120 minute. Drinkability is not really high, as this is a slow sipper. But it's sure more drinkable than the 120 minute.

Excellent beer mix.

4.12/5  rDev -1.4%

Served in a snifter, the beer pours a copper color with a small off-white head. Lacing is OK. The beer smells like citrus and oak, with an overall sweet hoppy smell. It tastes very sweet, like toffee, vanilla, pepper (spice) and citrus (grapefruit). There's just a slight bitter aftertaste, but overall it's a very sweet beer. Not quite what I expected, not that it's a bad thing. The mouthfeel is medium, and it's a smooth beer. Drinkability is good, but it's a little too sweet for me but the beer does go down easy, and it has just the right amount of carbonation to make it good. It's just a bit too sweet for me to drink more than one at a time. I think it's a good dessert beer. Also, the 10% ABV isn't noticable at all. I'd buy it again, and I'd recommend it to others to try.

4.05/5  rDev -3.1%

Pours out a beautiful clear amber with just a smidgen of suds and nice lacing on the tulip.
Smell is dark citrus and alcohol. Dark roasted caramel malt with an almost chocolatey aroma.
Taste is initially sweet with caramel sugars then the hops try to get through but the sugar and alcohol supress that quickly.
The aftertaste is sugar. Not as much bitterness as I would have wanted. Almost a sugar cookie with raisins type of thing.
Kinda bland in the mouth but the alcohol is right there to warm things up.
Too strong for my tastes but still a nice try at a double IPA. Russian River, where are you when I need you?

3.63/5  rDev -13.2%

12 oz. bottle, 10 % ABV. Very clear copper in color. Appears to be a lot of active carbonation. Thick off-white rocky head. Excellent head retention. Citrusy aroma, a bit fruity and woodsy. Very sweet up front, and a bit fruity. Nice citrust hop bite, which seems to be somewhat balanced by the malt. A bit of oak character in the background. Great patches of lace coating the sides of the glass. Nice body. The sweetness kills the drinkability for me. Some lingering bitterness, but the sweetness remains. Alcohol seems well hidden. Not bad, could age well I suppose.

3.3/5  rDev -21.1%

Poured from a 12oz bottle with a laser printed brewed on date on the neck. Was a rich copper color with a finger of head that slowly dissipated to a constant foam with some lacing. The aroma was hoppy but not as much as you'd expect in an ADIPA. It was really dominated by a sweetness that was quite surprising in it's intensity. I expected some sense oak aged but wow. The taste was unusual to say the least. Again not what I'd expect for an ADIPA. The sweetness was overpowering at first and then just too much to deal with as I made my way thru it. Gotta say I don't like this one very much. Out of balance and out of style. Not a drain pour but damn close. Now I gotta figure out what to do with the other 3 I have. (2.5, NA, ML, N)

4.32/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured a nice clear reddish amber with a 1/4" head that quickly disappeared.
Has a nice mild sweet hoppy smell
Medium mouthfeel, nice carbonation and a lingering honey aftertaste. Tastes almost "thick" at the very end of the swallow
Tastes of honey, very sweet which would make it hard to drink several in a setting but at $14 for 4, you probably wouldn't anyway.
States on the bottle that "this beer ages with the best of 'em" and I'm planning on taking the other 3 down to my stash in the storage room to try in a year or two.

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%

Purchased at whole foods thanks to Kim, chilled and poured into a tulip glass. Creamy coconut flesh colored head appeared about two centimeters thick with nice clump lacing. The body is a dark, ruby (strawberry), amber color with purple shades (like iced tea) and visible bubbles maintaining the head. The smell is an aromatic blend of caramel malts, toffee, and a tinge of vanilla from the oak. Hops, I’m going to venture a guess, but maybe tettnanger, cascade and something else for bittering. Needless to say there is a nice hop bouquet, not as forward as I thought it would be though, yet it expresses that sort of light tropical character. Notes of alcohol are present as it warms; yet they are not in any way a deterrent. Flavor wise I get toffee, notes of honey, deeply fermented malt and I can almost taste maple syrup and even hints of mint. At moments I also detect something not unlike an orange liqueur. As it warms it can almost seem abrasive, but it is still quite palatable just the same. Personally there is something fall like to this brew. I very much enjoyed this, however it is definitely not something to loose your head over,add one another slightly risqué, yet tasty brew from Dogfish Head.

Photo of
4.03/5  rDev -3.6%

12oz. bottle. Bottled on 1/8/07.

Crystal clear, dark golden color with hints of red. Large, rocky light tan head.

Pine & citrus greet the nose. Alcohol says hello as well. Not much malt initially, maybe notes of caramel and biscuits. Vanilla, some fruit, maybe peach, and grass.

Very sweet, with a good bittering balance. Fruity - peaches and pineapples. Peppermint, caramel and pepper at finish.

Medium to full bodied. Medium in carbonation. Refreshing more than drying, with a bit of a bite at the finish. Alcohol warming hits fast.

A great sipper, but not for everyday. This is a barleywine, dammit!

4.18/5  rDev 0%

A - Very attractive beer out of the bottle. Reddish amber color, crystal clear with sparse, lazy bubbles climbing to the surface. Ample, white head that has no problems sticking around.

S - Tofee and caramel. Very slight hop aroma with some grassy notes.

T - Distinctly malty taste with detectable alcohol. Sweetness with a charred, slightly vanilla oak barrel flavor. Bitterness in the background with slight hop flavor, but overall low hoppiness for a double IPA.

M - Thick, sticky mouthfeel. Lingers in the mouth and seems like it is an even bigger/ stronger beer than it is.

D - Overall a very plesant beer, supprisingly devoid of the excessive use of hops that sometimes comes with a I2PA. The very heavy mouthfeel and percieved alcohol makes it seem more like a barleywine than anything else. Quite a good beer, but the 12oz that I had was all that I would want in one sitting.

3.7/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle, no date. Pours a clear, pale copper color. Creamy, two-finger white head--good retention, receing into foamy craters, with some decent lacing.

Aroma of toasted grain and honey--similiar to that of graham crackers, with metallic, herby accents. The flavor is very sweet and phenolic, nearly sealing the lips shut with the sacchrine sticky-ness. Strong presence of cherry, apple, pear, along with wallops of sugar and alcohol, and a touch of toasty oak.

The mouth is light, but weighed down by the cloying sweetness. It's a bit overwhelming, which renders it not very drinkable. Not bad, but a little too sweet and medicinal--ultimately, it's not worth the price.

Burton Baton from Dogfish Head Brewery