Burton Baton - Dogfish Head Brewery

Burton BatonBurton Baton

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: Todd on 12-08-2004

This oak-aged gentle giant has been gaining popularity over the past few years and is now available year-round.

For Burton Baton, we brew two "threads," or batches, of beer: an English-style old ale and an imperial IPA.

After fementating the beers separately in our stainless tanks, they're transferred and blended together in one of our large oak tanks. Burton Baton sits on the wood for about a month.

When enjoying the Burton Baton, you'll find an awesome blend of the citrus notes from Northwestern hops melding with woody, vanilla notes from the oak. The wood also tends to mellow the 10% ABV of Burton, so tread cautiously!

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Burton Baton Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,786 | Hads: 6,167
3.99/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Almost an auburn color with off white head, not too think. Oak on the nose for sure. Oak up front on the mouth with a sweet smooth finish. Not big on wood aged beers but this could be a game changer. (201 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance - 4/5
Medium red-orange-brown, with many fingers of light tan head. Moderately hazy.

Smell - 4/5
Oak, sweet barley malts, faint hops

Taste - 4.25/5
Oaky, sweet barley malts, a sweet floral hopiness

Mouthfeel - 4.25/5
Medium bodied, medium-high amount of medium-light intensity carbonation. Quite crisp.

Overall - 4.25/5
This was a delicious IPA (359 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: lighter color than I expected; cloudy orangish/amber with small head; decent lacing.

Smell: malty sweet with big grapefruit hop aroma; took a while to pick up the oak, but maybe only because I know it's there. The hops dominate the aroma for me.

Taste: good bit of sweet malt and totally dominated by the hops; I don't pick up the oak or the vanilla, but I do get the lingering oak tannins. Not bad; well balanced

Mouthfeel: creamy

Remarks: pretty good, but American IPAs aren't my favorite style; not something I'd likely buy again. (556 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

Like many of us drinking a variety of American craft beers I'm suffering from a bit of IPA overkill. This beer could bring me back to the style, the barreling brought it a complexity that made it really interesting. (216 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 3.25

$3.99/bottle at Total Wine Tampa. Pours a super creamy head. Tastes of bitter orange. Oak gives it a smooth, creaminess- almost like a nitro. Alcohol, hop bitterness, and oak flavors meld together in the finish. Very unique, classy IPA. I would not mind having this again, especially with that abv, but wouldn't go out of my way, as the "dank-creamsicle" flavor is a tad off-putting. (383 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I'm not the biggest ipa fan but I found this to absolutely outstanding. The oak aging cuts down on the hop assault making this very smooth and drinkable. At 10% you can get into trouble real quick. (198 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

On tap at the Fairfax DFH.

Appearance - served in a snifter with 1/2" head - moderate lacing on the glass.

Smell - earthiness, sweetness, spice; very intricate/interlaced aromas.

Taste - fantastic! As complex as the smell, the taste is none other than classic IIPA. Perfect balance of bitter hops and sweet malt; nothing overpowers. At 10% a.b.v, I figured I'd be feeling the burn, but this was as smooth as they come.

Mouthfeel - medium. Coats the tongue well.

Drinkability - with the high a.b.v, I could only drink a couple, but I would be very happy doing it.

Thanks DFH! (581 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Other than an unusual smell, this beer exceeded what I expected. I would love to try the DIPA that the English old ale was mixed with to create this. Even with the mixture the American hops shine through and provide a great assertive bitterness and the oak aging smooths out the higher than average abv to be almost unnoticeable. Very good, unique take on the American DIPA. (374 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle poured into a shaker. The aroma is bold, rich, and malty with caramel notes, sweet sugary citrus, and a moderate burnt wood joining late. The beer is effervescent and viscous with a hazy.murky caramel orange hue, and a slightly off white, dense foam head that has good lace and retention. The full bodied beer strikes a nice balance at medium-high levels of bittersweet. The texture is viscous with a zippy carbonation and flavored with notes of wood, caramel, spice, and a light citrus that spikes at the finish as a tangerine with some spice as well as a nyquil hint. The aftertaste is big and bold with burnt bread, marmalade, and a clean spice that mellows quickly but it still has a moderate strength and length. (729 characters)

4.16/5  rDev 0%

From a bottle into a snifter.

Pour is amber in color with 1/2 finger of thin white head and no lace on the glass. Lots if carbonation

Smell is fruit and a touch of booze. Very faint. Defiantly the weakest feature of this great beer.

Taste is bitter hops with apricot. Malts offer lots of balance and plenty of bitterness. Oak, citrus, vanilla! My oh my so much complexity.

Feel is very nice. Coats the palate well and taste last for a while. Little booze for such a high abv. Another smash hit frommDFH (511 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Dark amber in appearance with a fluffy, pillowy head. Very little "floaties" in the glass.
Aromas of fruit, mild pine and oak.
Nice malty backbone to start things off. Very bitter! (yummy) fruit taste blended with piney goodness. Mild oak taste poking around toward the end.
Buttery, crisp, bubbly and deceptively smooth. Goes down very easy. (be careful)
Delicious! No other way to describe it other than that. One of the best double IPAs. Nuff said! (456 characters)

4.91/5  rDev +18%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Absolutely delightful beer. Citrus, vanilla, and woody nose. Not too oaky and very smooth. It didn't taste at all boozy to me despite the impressive 10%abv. (156 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -22.4%

Barrel aged and you can tell by the aroma and taste. Bit too much carbonation and definitely boozy, the 10% comes thru to me. Aroma is sweet, malty and like a kicked up 90 min DFH. More like a barley wine, and not really what i expected. (240 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Soooo good. Taste: the oak mellows the 10% ABV. Look: beautiful golden orange color with just the right amount of foam. Smell: like another sampling of deliciousness from Dogfish Head. Feel: feels like I need to drink another, but I'll save one for aging. (255 characters)

4.51/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Appearance- pours a 1/2 in head, great golden amber color with a slight creamy look.
Smell-Strong sweet malty smell, very boozy with slight fruity taste.
Taste- Very well balanced, hoppy with a smooth finish
Mouthfeel- Full mouthfeel, very heavy with a little excess carbonation.
Overall a fantastic beer, one of my favorites, I like it better than the 90 minute ipa but after rating it, it is very boozy and has somewhat of a barleywine taste, Id like to see a few more characteristics done to it to make it more of an ipa. (524 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: Brilliant garnet tinged amber, ½” white head that dissipates to a thin film
S: Citrus, wood and malt.
T: Starts with malty sweetness and then grapefruit bitterness comes through joined by oak notes
M: Medium full body and medium caronation. The carbonation is smooth.
O: The hops are very well done in this beer with loads of flavors and just enough bitterness for balance. Nothing is harsh or overstated. A pleasure to drink. (436 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I'm not a big fan of the wood-aged beers. This is probably my favorite, though it is a close tie with the Palo Santo from the same brewery.

If you've had this in a bottle, also try it if find it on tap. I experienced a big difference in flavor and aroma. I wasn't crazy about the bottle but loved it on tap. (311 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

I should revisit this one as it's been a few years since I had it, but as with most beers, I feel like this one would be better off had it not spent any time in a barrel. (170 characters)

look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a mug.

A - Poured an opaque sienna with a frothy, finger-and-a-half head.

S - Very light aromatics of oak and hops.

T - Very boozy and a bit creamy with a light underlying taste of charred oak. The hops take over quickly and hang in the aftertaste, with the oak still lightly present.

M - A little heavier than you'd expect from a DIPA, but still a bit bubbly and aggressive. Overall not bad in a style where an aggressive texture is all too common.

O - As someone who's not a fan of the hop aggression of most DIPAs, I really enjoyed this. Very well balanced and complex. (608 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Look - Pours a beautiful, clear amber color with thick, creamy, off-white head. Great lacing in the glass as well.

Smell - The smell isn't very aromatic, however, it is pleasant. Piney hop aroma followed by something sweet that I just can't put my finger on. Smells like brown sugar almost.

Taste - Absolutely delicious. Very sweet and subtle hop flavor. Wood and vanilla flavors are in there as well. Very complex and very yum!

Feel - Smooth as a baby's bottom. ABV is barely detectable.

Overall - Exceeded my expectations. Very delicious, complex, and well-crafted beer. Dogfish head does it again. (605 characters)

4.06/5  rDev -2.4%

Bottle poured into a Sierra Nevada tulip glass

A: Pours gorgeous slightly hazy deep golden orange amber with a creamy off white head that settles and laces lightly.

S: Sweet caramel malt up front, some pine, light citrus, and floral notes.

T: Pine and light citrus, grapefruit and a little orange, a touch floral, settles into a big caramel malt sweetness, a little honey maybe even vanilla, and some fruitiness. Maybe a little mid palate woody note. Alcohol is very well hidden.

M: Towards the fuller end of medium body, low carbonation, very smooth, though it can get a bit syrupy.

O: Really hard to score this one. I'm a self proclaimed hop head so I love a good bitter kick in the face. This one is very smooth, well accented with hops, but on the malty sweet side. In my personal taste, it's good, and given that it's a partially oak aged blend, I would say it turned out quite well. Maybe not as hoppy as I'd like, but still enjoyable. (947 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

Poured from a bottle into a spiegelau IPA glass. Cold it drinks as an IPA with some oak characteristics as it warms to room temp more of an oaked barley wine. Very solid brew from dogfishhead. I can't recall the last time I tried this beer (several years) but I am definitely going to be keeping some on hand from now on. For me it's as good as 120 IPA. (353 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Bottled on 09/30/2014. Sampled and reviewed on March 9, 2015.

12 oz. bottle into a Sam Adams glass. Pours amber with a 1 finger head of white foam. Smell is pine, citrus, orange peel, and grapefruit. Light bodied. Definite alcohol bite, but not bad. I get oranges, lemon, pine, and honey on the taste. Dry finish. A bit of malt on the aftertaste, but probably due to the age.

Not sure if it was the oak barrel aging or the age of the beer that was off for me, but I didn't care much for this one. At 5+ months old, common sense would say to avoid this, as it is an IPA. I took a chance, though, because it was a relatively high ABV. Maybe I'll try this one again fresh and see if it's any better.

Edit: After reading several reviews on this one, I see a lot of people mentioning the matly taste and comparing this beer to a barleywine of sorts, so maybe 5 months on this doesn't change the taste much. It's getting better as I'm getting drunker. Still a bit off, in my opinion. (980 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This is a great beer. You can find characteristics of both styles, and scents and flavors of oak come through in a good way. Supremely smooth and easy to drink. (160 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This beer was surprisingly good. I was sure at a abv of 10% I would get a good burn when drinking this beer. Its surprisingly smooth. I think I'll have seconds on this one. (172 characters)

Burton Baton from Dogfish Head Brewery