Burton Baton - Dogfish Head Brewery

Burton BatonBurton Baton

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: Todd on 12-08-2004

This oak-aged gentle giant has been gaining popularity over the past few years and is now available year-round.

For Burton Baton, we brew two "threads," or batches, of beer: an English-style old ale and an imperial IPA.

After fementating the beers separately in our stainless tanks, they're transferred and blended together in one of our large oak tanks. Burton Baton sits on the wood for about a month.

When enjoying the Burton Baton, you'll find an awesome blend of the citrus notes from Northwestern hops melding with woody, vanilla notes from the oak. The wood also tends to mellow the 10% ABV of Burton, so tread cautiously!

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Burton Baton Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,815 | Hads: 6,278
4.15/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I bought a four pack of this, spending 16 dollars. Now, I am by no means cheap, but thats a lot so I expect a lot- like I should see jesus or something.

The appearance was a glistening reddish gold, smelled of sweet and sour, followed by a complex variety of flavors ranging from cherries, malts, green apple, and slight hops. For an imperial IPA I was hoping for more distinct hopiness, which this beer does not have. Though the alcohol content is high, its a very smooth drink.

Overall an exceptional beer in many ways, but I didn't see jesus. Probably not something I will get again.

3.95/5  rDev -5.5%

Poured from bottle into tulip glass.

The pour was a nice copper color with decent beige head that lasted.

The aroma was hops with caramel and followed with a woodsy smell.

The taste was more than I expected, hop flavor throughout, but the oak was a subtle back flavor. I also had the sweet sticky caramel flavor.

Good carbonation and a creamy feel, just about what I would expect

This is a sipper for me. The ABV comes through enough where you do not want to drink too many.

3.94/5  rDev -5.7%

Poured a 12 oz. bottle into my new fancy Stone tulip! Bottle dating seemed to have rubbed off, most likely a newer release bought at Whole Foods for $2.79. Aggressive pour yielded little head but the sediment in the bottle clouded up the beer, left an unappealing dark copper hazy appearance, not much carbonation. Smell was nice caramelized wood, slight piney hops, not overtly alcoholic even at 10%. The taste was just as good, again with the caramel but the hops are less pronounced. Not a ton of carbonation but it works, I like the malty back bone and very little hop bitterness. The alcohol is well integrated here. I had expected this beer to be reminiscent of a barleywine and it did remind me more of a BW than a DIPA. I really liked what the wood treatment did to this DIPA. Good beer, I will drink more of this, and may cellar a few.

4.53/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Nice blend of the two styles, with the citric tang and hop bite nicely complemented by the oak vanilla and malt smoothness. The alcohol heat is present but never gets in the way. This is a stellar offering from a stellar brewery.

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

This one never fails to impress. A very reliable, delicious and interesting beer; had it several times over the past couple of years and it always has been great. The oak flavor is a great addition and doesn't overwhelm the rest of the beer.

I haven't noticed any major differences between the bottle and draft versions. Each time I've tried the beer, regardless of the version, it's been superb. I'm guessing that this is better fresh/on draft, though ... but, then again, I've never been able to keep a bottle long enough at home to age it for an extended period. Might try that sometime.

IMO, this falls within the 4.25-4.5 range. One of Dogfish Head's best.

4.43/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is one hell of a brew, it is exactly as advertised. Get the IPA upfront followed by the best flavors of whiskey in the finish. Balanced perftectly and alcohol is not present, nice warming effect. Dogfish Head delivers and you have to try if you get your hands on one.

4.15/5  rDev -0.7%

12 oz. bottle served in a tulip glass.

Appearance: Pours a rich hazy amber color with a luscious finger thick white head. The head hangs around for quite a while remaining thick around the edge. Awesome lacing.

Smell: Citrus hop and sweet malty aromas with strong hints of oak.

Taste: Sweet and malty, with less hop flavor and bitterness than I was expecting. Oak flavor shows up in the finish. High alcohol content is well masked.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with medium carbonation.

Overall: A very good beer. The beer could use a touch more hops to round out the malty sweetness. It reminds me a little of Oaked Arrogant Bastard, but richer and sweeter.

4.19/5  rDev +0.2%

12 oz bottle into oversized wine glass

Pours a rich, deep amber with a half-inch or so off-white head which soon dissipates, hanging around the edges. Little to no lacing. Smell is subtle; sweet oak, malt, rich fruit, some earthy hops. Taste is layered. Sweet malts and oak to start off taste, subtle but present hops in the middle; a little piney, some dark fruit, ends with a nice bitterness paired with a warming from the alcohol. Every sip of this beer is packed with richness. It continues to captivate my taste buds. Pricey, but worth it.

4.57/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer is much better tasting after bottle aging for 6 months, and even better after a year. The longest I aged was 1.5 years, and it tasted the best. It's a really good beer either way, but I'd put the taste at 4.25 for drinking it right away.

4.21/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A: nice amber color, cream colored head
-- Label is unassuming and if not for the dogsfish symbol, I likely would have miss it on the shelf.

S: Nice rich oaky malt smell with hops. Cannot smell the high alcohol content

T: Smooth, malty hops that is mellowed out hops. Cannot taste the alcohol even as the bottle warmed up.

M: Clean smooth finish

O: Nicely done, nothing specific stands out unique in comparison to the other barreled aged IPA's I have had but that does not mean much as I have yet to have one I do not like.

3.99/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Almost an auburn color with off white head, not too think. Oak on the nose for sure. Oak up front on the mouth with a sweet smooth finish. Not big on wood aged beers but this could be a game changer.

3.93/5  rDev -6%

A - Poured a deep amber colour; cloudy. One finger of thick cream coloured head.

S - Bitter grapefruit hops with sweet caramel malts; some vanilla in the background.

T - Bitter grapefruit hops with some pine that are very noticeable up front. A sweet caramel malt backbone. Bitter in the finish with some oak. Alcohol is present here, but not overwhelmingly so.

M - Medium body, lots of chew. Sort of silky. An odd but very welcome mouthfeel for a DIPA.

D - Remarkably drinkable for a 10% ABV beer.

4.35/5  rDev +4.1%

Burton Baton - my last bottle in the cellar. Bottle has 01/07 age on it.

A- pours a dark amber with 1 inch head that disappears.

S- wow! the aromas started after I popped the cap on this one. I can smell it sitting next to me. Smell has the very similar sweet DFH over malted smell that most of their beers have. Brown sugar, sweet raisons

T- very sweet initially but the hops find their way soon. alc is pretty mellow after a year of laying down in the cellar.

M- pretty good balance of carbonation still there after a year.

D- going down really well. I think after one like most DFH high gravity, the crazy sweetness might be too much. Certainly will get more of this to age come 09

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

Wow. Amazing.

A: Foggy amber with hints of yellow green and a minimal head. Lacing is almost non-existent but no worries shes a beauty, would it make a difference in the bed if your wife had stockings on? Probably not. Especially if she was gorgeous.

S: Ohh yeeeaaa.... Malt and hops immediately all masked by a pristine campfire aroma. Almost as if you were just putting the fire out with the water from the nearby spout. Did I mention malt and hops? You know, real malt and hops.

T: Yes! If you could imagine taking DFHs 90 Minute IPA and aging it to perfection on a cask of luxurious burnt oak giving you any sort of excitement, this is exactly that. Fruity caramel goodness, hops and wood, nothing more, nothing less, straight up, but seems to be far more complex. A pinch of yeast but all things compliment each other working together to please my needs.

M: Creamy, thick, mellow and smooth with just a bite or maybe a nibble in that case of bitterness to round things off. Carbonation is perfect and almost unnoticeable which means its substantial, not annoying. Slowly moves down the throat and lingers a bit, but lingers like a good dog.

D: I have to slow down, its incredible how easy you can believe this is a 6% beer. Caught up very quickly, the only reason its a 4.5 is because before too long I would be forced to stop drinking it. GREAT

Overall: If you are into wood aged beers, love IPAs, this is the beer for you. Exactly what I expected, perfect. Also, if you have had DFHs 90 Minute IPA, imagine that with a complimenting wood swing, just glorious. Grab a four and make your palate happy!

3.89/5  rDev -6.9%

12 oz Bottle from Khans Fine Wines and Spirits. Fresh batch.

A: Great golden carmel like color. Poured with about a finger and a half of head. There is still a lot of effervescence coming up out of here. Looks tasty!

S: I"m getting a little bit of citrus but honestly I'm not able to pick up much today. I don't know what my problem is. If I try really hard I can pick up some alcohol notes.

T: At first I was reminded very much of a 90 minute. Same type of sweetness and bittering hops. I was starting to get a little disappointing when the fullness of the beer hit me. I also realize that the small cold/allergies I've been battling have ruined tasting this for me. Good thing I have 3 more for a later date. The high alcohol content leaves you with a very warm feeling although at the same time you can't really tell that this is 10%. The taste is very good so we want to keep having more and before you know it you've finished half a pint. I'll admit that oak aged stuff is something I'm fairly new to so it will probably take me a while to attune to the subtle hints but I can definitely taste the difference in this and their 90/120 minute. If you can pick up a bottle of this I would definitely recommend it. As usual with Dogfish head I just wish the hops were a little more profound. It always tastes sort of sweet (alcohol) with some malt to me when I feel it should be more bitter or citrusy.

M: I'm drinking this a bit cold so it's hard to judge a true mouthfeel but the bitterness you expect is there and also what I like to call the "brown tinge" which is a feeling I have on the back portion of my tongue where the fat part is pressing up against the back of the roof of your mouth. I associate it to malts and alcohol but perhaps it's the bitterness that does it. Perhaps I need another beer to figure it out :)

D: Very dangerous beer. This one makes you feel so good you could throw back a few before you realize what's going on. Drinkability is very high but be careful!

4.47/5  rDev +6.9%

Smells very malty and carmel background with citrus hops up front and slight floral notes in back and slight woodsy barrel taste

Tastes very malty no alcohol bite as I expected (10%) sweet carmel notes and strong citrus grapefruit taste and ends very bitter.

Mouthfeel is medium full bodied and smooth/creamy

Overal I'm impressed but I don't taste the barrel as much as I expected, reminds me of what should be a 90 minute barrel aged

3.75/5  rDev -10.3%

(poured into a snifter)

This beer pours a deep amber color with very little head. The aroma is a tad astringent with notes of raspberry. The front is slightly hoppy. It finishes with a hint of caramel and those raspberry notes; reminiscent of the dumb dumb suckers I had as a child. This beer reminds me more of a barley wine than an imperial IPA. Almost no hint of the oak barrels some of this was aged in. Either way, those are my two favorite styles so no complaints here!

4.43/5  rDev +6%

Served in a bottle at approx. 40 degrees

Appearance: copper red with a thin lasting head and nice lacing

Smell: Dates, slight alcohol aroma

taste: caramel, root beer? - deep, rich, malty flavor

mouthfeel: an assertive dryness at the front, and a long, lasting finish

Overall: a roasty 10% alcohol beer that hides any hint of alcohol taste - very nice!

4.21/5  rDev +0.7%

Appearance- Dark copper color with a nice off-white creamy head.
Aroma- Piney hops, grapefruit and oak wood.
Taste- hop bitterness up front, slight citrus, woody and for some reason soy sauce... it must be the wood.
MF- Very creamy with just the right amount of carbonation.
This beer would pair well with sushi or any asian food... because it has that soy sauce taste.

4.6/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured from 12oz bottle into snifter.

A: Deep orange with ruby highlights. Creamy 1+ finger head,

S: Vanilla, oak, caramel malt and a touch of snap of fruit, slight hint of nuts. Great aroma!

T: Deep, round flavors. Lots of vanilla, carmel and malt and oak. Snappy fruit, I don't quite get citris; maybe tart apple or nectarine?. Very well balanced big taste that fades into a long finish. There is a little hint of alcohol as the beer warms, but it blends well with the rich flavor.

M: Medium body. Silky on the tongue with a little bite at the tail end from the hops.

D: Extreamly drinkable, the high ABV is not apparent. It's a perfectly balanced and weighted beer. I haunted the store in March waiting for the release. I hope to cellar a bit for the ski season. It's rich enough for a winter warmup and clean enough to be refreshing after a day in the snow.

4.03/5  rDev -3.6%

A-cooper brown. Medium carbonation. Very appealing in the glass. Looks like a beer you would enjoy in the winter time. Warm and inviting appearance. Not amber/orange like most other IIPA's.

S- Smells good, but nothing outstanding. Maybe it's me, maybe it's the beer. I'm not getting the floral, citrus, piney flavors that some other IPA's have. But what I can smell is good, just not as strong as I would expect from an IIPA. Malt.

T- I love the taste of this beer. It has a berry-like sweetness and the malt is fairly heavy. The sweetness is reigned in by the hops, but it is balanced incredibly well. Very similar flavors to 90 minute. you can taste some oak, which brings to mind founders curmudgeon. It isn't over the top, by any means, but really contributes another layer of complexity to the beer and does it very well. Lingering aftertaste that is pleasant and welcome.

M- Smooth, rich, and sticks to the tongue. The flavors stays with you, which is great with this beer. Not a crisp, biting IPA. Mellow and smooth. Did I mention it was a beer that would be good in the winter months?

O- This is a really fantastic beer. It is a unique flavor all it's own, yet at the same time reminds me of many other brews. It is a pleasure to drink and I will be looking for more of it on my trip to Virginia in July.

Well this when opend had a really great fragrant aroma of the hops used to brew this master piece of a beer,the apperance of the beer has like a dark golden or coppery look to it,so after I pored the bottle into my traditional wide mouth glass and smelled it again I could really get the essance of why this beer to me is in a world class leauge for me,I picked up a toasty kinda rich carmely kind of tones from my second smell,taste is sinsational the carbonation is balanced very well,it feels real smooth on the palate,you truly can note that the beer from it being oak aged definetly has the taste of oak but not over powering,also I can tell when Dogfish Head Brewing says they use whenever possible organic and all natural barley hops and spices they do right here in Burton Buton,moutfeel is nice and smooth in around and on the way down no complaints,overall this beer does hold up to (WORLD CLASS) Standards!!!

4.06/5  rDev -2.9%

This is an excellent example of oaken ale.

You can truly taste the two sides of this coin, I mean beer! The young and the old come out in this beer.

This is an great ale. I drank it in a tulip and as it warmed the sweet notes came further forward.

There was spent yeast in the bottle. But as a home brewer I am always on guard for this during the pour.

The yeast smelled of potato bread and honey. The beer didn't have any potato flavor but the sweet finish could have been a honey note but didn't smell that way in the glass.

4.28/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This beer was surprisingly good. I was sure at a abv of 10% I would get a good burn when drinking this beer. Its surprisingly smooth. I think I'll have seconds on this one.

4.2/5  rDev +0.5%

The neck proclaims a 3/30/09 bottling date. Poured into an oversized wine glass.

A: Pours an amber or light brown color, whereas many other DIPAs have that bright orange thing going on. This almost looks amber ale-ish. A thin, wispy tan head accompanies. With a vigorous swirl of the glass, the head blossoms-- two-fingers deep, fluffy, delightful looking.

S: The distinct DFH hop scent hits the nose first, followed by some sweet malts and a light oak character. Vanilla and citrus (grapefruit) at certain times too.

T & M: Complex, full, rich hop character. The beer did a lot as it warmed, too. What was consistent throughout was lots of carbonation and an alcohol warmth. While dry, bitter citrus hoppiness was prevalent for the first third, a bready sweetness emerged for the final half. Though the taste character developed throughout, it (somewhat paradoxically) always felt balanced.

D: Whenever I have a 90 min. or Palo Santo, I want another; the BB leaves me perfectly content after one. So in that sense, it's not very drinkable. But from first sip to last it's an engaging, enjoyable process.

Burton Baton from Dogfish Head Brewery