Burton Baton - Dogfish Head Brewery

Burton BatonBurton Baton

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: Todd on 12-08-2004

This oak-aged gentle giant has been gaining popularity over the past few years and is now available year-round.

For Burton Baton, we brew two "threads," or batches, of beer: an English-style old ale and an imperial IPA.

After fementating the beers separately in our stainless tanks, they're transferred and blended together in one of our large oak tanks. Burton Baton sits on the wood for about a month.

When enjoying the Burton Baton, you'll find an awesome blend of the citrus notes from Northwestern hops melding with woody, vanilla notes from the oak. The wood also tends to mellow the 10% ABV of Burton, so tread cautiously!

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Burton Baton Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,816 | Hads: 6,279
4.57/5  rDev +9.3%

12 oz. bottle poured into tulip. Drank with sharp cheddar, blue cheese, salami, and pretzels.

L - red-amber color with a two-finger head. Lacing is gripping the glass and glides down very slow.

S - sweet fruit and vanilla notes. alcohol is prevalent, but not too noticeable. Interesting smell for a DIPA

T - The wood really stands out through the whole swig. Citrusy bitter hops but the vanilla-wood taste really smooths it out.

F - it is 10 ABV, but you can hardly tell. Light in body, but really smooth and easy to drink

O - Smooth-ness best describes this DIPA. The barrel-aging is a great addition to this beer, and it is year round! You can get a barrel-aged beer anytime you want. Dogfish Head did it again with this beer, so lucky to have them around. Cheers!

4.2/5  rDev +0.5%

The neck proclaims a 3/30/09 bottling date. Poured into an oversized wine glass.

A: Pours an amber or light brown color, whereas many other DIPAs have that bright orange thing going on. This almost looks amber ale-ish. A thin, wispy tan head accompanies. With a vigorous swirl of the glass, the head blossoms-- two-fingers deep, fluffy, delightful looking.

S: The distinct DFH hop scent hits the nose first, followed by some sweet malts and a light oak character. Vanilla and citrus (grapefruit) at certain times too.

T & M: Complex, full, rich hop character. The beer did a lot as it warmed, too. What was consistent throughout was lots of carbonation and an alcohol warmth. While dry, bitter citrus hoppiness was prevalent for the first third, a bready sweetness emerged for the final half. Though the taste character developed throughout, it (somewhat paradoxically) always felt balanced.

D: Whenever I have a 90 min. or Palo Santo, I want another; the BB leaves me perfectly content after one. So in that sense, it's not very drinkable. But from first sip to last it's an engaging, enjoyable process.

3.98/5  rDev -4.8%

A- Amber, and copper color with golden sunset hues around the edges. Has a puffy, white, one-finger head, most of which disappears within a few minutes. This leaves behind a couple small patches of clingy lace. This one is moderately hazy, and overall, a beautiful beer.

S- Burton Baton projects an immediate burst of hops, bitter and citrusy (grapefruit). This is accompanied by a few subtle aromas: fresh melon, clean and slightly sweet malt, fresh oak, and a slight soapiness.

T- The taste shows a bit of vanilla that was less pronounced in the aroma, and also some apricot. Not quite as juicy or as bitter as I expected.

M- For the abv/style this is a bit thin for me. Additionally, it lacks the finish that I look for in a good DIPA. This seems to improve as the beer warms a bit, but still is not quite up to par with the best of them. I would say that carbonation is spot on though.

D- Very good. Although I taste relatively zero alcohol, I will say that I can feel it a bit. I would definitely slurp down a couple of these bad boys over the course of night.

I will note that this is one of the few offerings from DFH that I will repeatedly seek out. I think Burton Baton is a great beer, and having had it on tap as well, I would say that it is even better fresh from the source. Definitely check this out if you have never tried it. It won't knock your socks off, but you should find it very enjoyable.

4.28/5  rDev +2.4%

Pulled out of my cellar about a year old now, poured into my Bruery Tulip, 2 fingers of tan head pillowy stuff that is now retaining nicely.

A: Wonderful reddish peach color, with the tan head it looks beautiful. Even after 5 minutes the head is about a half finger.

S: Surprisingly after pouring it I could smell almost nothing, waiting about 5 minutes I'll give it another shot, Now I get a piney resin smell along with some oak, and a little alcohol and some vanilla, still not a strong sent. (maybe my nose is messed up)

T: Unlike the smell the taste is wonderful!, I enjoy it much more now than how I remember it when I first had it, the alachol has mellowed and the flavors of carmel and oak are mellowed nicely with the sweet resin and pine flavors along with a little fruit ending with vanilla, warming the throat as it rolls back. Very enjoyable and I highly recommend cellaring this one, amazing!

M: Unlike before it has lite carbonation, lite medium body, it finishes dry from the oak after all the resiny goodness drains out, simply great.

D: All around Amazing, especially when cellared, time is worth it but try it first, I only wish I had bought another 4 pack when I had the chance.

Dogfish head never ceases to impress me. This beer is fantastic. Surprisingly clear for an IIPA. Smell is very smooth. Not extreme on the hops side as I'm sure the Oak Barrels lay it down a bit.

The taste is whats killer. I really cant decribe it. Not too bitter, but has a bight. Not very alcoholish though you can taste it. Yea, Just try it yourself. Maybe others can review it better than me. But I've had a lot of different beers, and this is one I always try to keep in the fridge.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a snifter. The bottling date on this one is 10/16/10 (Thanks DFH!) so its about two months old.

A: Pours a deep amber with a clear body and plenty of carbonation working its way to the surface but with a minimal, although sticky, head.

S: Very sweet in the nose with a nice malty backbone. Piney hops, and some subtle, sweet fruit characteristics. Apricot, orange and some other fruity esthers. The alcohol makes its way into the nose as well. Not really picking up the oak.

M: Somewhat sticky with a rich, buttery body. The alcohol warms the palate and radiates up through the throat. The carbonation is much more subtle than expected from the appearance.

T: I felt like the alcohol was a little too overpowering here. As it warms, I get some piney hops. The alcohol just seems to cut through what is a pretty substantial malt backbone, but I'm confused as it's not overpowering. Some toffee, caramel and subtle burnt sugar notes as it warms.

O: I wouldn't chill this much, if at all. It's a sipper for sure and gets richer as it warms. It's 10% so the drinkability is going to be low and honestly, why would you want to session this anyway? Akin to brandy, I would seek this out again and will revisit this on in a year or so as the other three I bought age. I expect great things from this beer as it gets some years on it.

4.1/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

12 oz bottle aged for one year poured into a snifter.

A - Pours a great reddish amber with a 1" taupe head. Globs of lacing all around the glass.

S - Nice bouquet of floral hops, honey, and cherries. Possibly a little citrus zest.

T - Probably the last thing I expected from the smell, but a HUGE chocolate flavor with the floral hops following quickly. Honey can definitely be noted accompanied by tart grapefruit and cherries. It feels like the bitterness of the citrusy, florally hops should not interact with the chocolate well, but they compliment each other in the best way possible. A little acidic and a little salty, but in a good way. The beer ends with a nice phenolic zing. Overall, it's very robust, exactly what I expect from an double.

M/D - The mouthfeel is a little thick and chewy. The carbonation is slightly low though. With the alcohol content and the intense flavor, it's pretty drinkable but, I definitely couldn't do another one after this.

Notes: The first time I had this I wasn't that impressed. I would definitely suggest aging it for at least a year. It's a completely different experience.

4.22/5  rDev +1%

Pours amber with a small white head and lacing on the glass. The smell is magnificent: lemon, chocolate, booze, lots more, very complex. The taste is the same, many different layers with a nice hop bite and just the right amount of alcohol. One of my favorite brews. Can't give enough praise for this beer. Amazing!

4.03/5  rDev -3.6%

12 ounce bottle poured into a SA Boston Lager pint glass. Serving temperature ~ 60F.

Appearance: The beer poured crystal clear. Deep copper color with a massive off-white head. The foam crept up about 3/4 of an ich over he top of the glass. It was thick and creamy and held together quite well. Medium sized bubbles and moderate carbonation.

Smell: The standard piney/cirtrus op smell expected from an American Double IPA. The hop scent was not overpowering though. A touch of roasted malt/biscuit malt shone through too along with a light oaky note from the aging of the beer.

Taste: Quite nice. Unlike most American Double IPAs, I tasted the malt up front in this beer and the hops came later after just a touch of alcohol burn. Oak flavor was present, but blended into the other flavors well. Overall, the flavor was very well balanced. Some hop bitterness lingered in my mouth.

Mouthfeel: Creamy with a nice, moderate body. The medium carbonation suited this beer well. It left a nice warm felling going down my throat.

Drinkability: The high alcohol level (10%) makes this a sipping beer. I wouldn't suggest having more than one in a sitting. The balance prevents your palate from being ruined.

4.05/5  rDev -3.1%

Found this at a new specialty wine and beer store the other day. After pouring out into my glass and catching the first aromas I immeadiatly wanted to lick the inside of the bottle to make sure I got it all out. Wow!

The overall appearance of the beer was pretty average. Its color being orange and amber that wasn't quiet clear with a little haze. Hardly and head stayed on the beer but a good bit of sticky lacing held througout.

The rich oak tones come through immeadiatly. The smoothe sweetness follows with other hints of candied fruits. The taste of honey comes out right away and the incredible smoothe qualities follow. I wondered where the hops were but I guess the aging in oak mellows them out substantially and leaves the behind their flavor profiles. I really enjoyed this and will probably pick up a few more.

4.1/5  rDev -1.9%

12 oz bottle, poured kentucky bourbon auburn into a snifter, thin head is off-white and sudsy

smells like my uncle scuppy's house: hops, corn, alcohol... some floral notes linger

complex: after initial bite, big malt and oak up front, vanilla wood and roast, strong alcohol and then flowery hops run around in a circle, ends with a trace of fruit...something refreshing like a grapefruit maybe..

creamy, a nice bite with a medium heavy mouthfeel... leaves my face warm... all of a sudden i want to put my boots on

i like this but it's damn intense... all in all im thinking about whiskey, not that i never sipped a whiskey this smooth... but its a damn good sippin beer and not offensive to those who find an ipa too hoppy... if your gout acts up or your chest burns when you drink your bourbon try sippin this instead, its not the same but then neither is anything else in your miserable life now that you got to.. how do they say?... 'moderate'?

4.2/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured a 12oz. bottle into my New Belgium Globe.

This beer poured a nice dark orange color with a big, white fluffy head. There was tremendous lacing as I drank it.

The aroma was a mix between fresh fruit and smoky wood. At first smell there were some grapefruit, orange notes with a definite hop presence. As I drank it I could begin to pick out the smoked wood notes.

At first sip I noticed the strong malt backbone. I quickly forgot about the malt when I was punched in the mouth with fresh grapefruit, hops and other citrus notes.

I absolutely love this beer. I cannot wait to see how it changes over time.

4.55/5  rDev +8.9%

A- Deep Grand Marnier amber tones, creamy head that sticks around for about 5 minutes only to leave a nice one inch spider web lacing

S- Hops hit you with a sweetness you can smell and almost "feel" with your nose. I can smell a little alcohol just at the end of a whiff

T- Citrusy sweetness with a woody vanilla finish. This isn't cloyingly sweet but it is an obvious high gravity brew. At 10% abv I expected to taste a lot more of its punch than I actually do. That being said, the astringency of this brew doesn't hide itself away completely, but a note to its credit the alcohol flavor finds a balance between the smooth fruitiness and round finish quite well, as long as one's expectations are within the style's outer limits.

M- Smooth and sweet. The astringency doesn't burn but warms notably as it journeys downward in the chest

D- I rated this one high for drinkability, or at least higher than I originally planned to. This went down quite well but I will not be having another one in session. The abv% alone makes me a little wary, but its pungency creates an experience I feel is best enjoyed as a bottle et solus but maybe a good one to start/end the evening

4.57/5  rDev +9.3%

Pours with 1/2" head; lingers a bit, with very modest lacing on the glass.

Coppery body with no carbonation.

Hoppy/spicy aroma - really quite complex, with additional hints of sweetness and an earthy oak scent as well.

Rather thick in the mouth; no fizz, but leaves a pleasant coating.

Taste is also quite complex, with initial hoppiness followed by a malty sweetness. Nowhere near the overpowering hops I had expected (which, for me, is a real plus - I don't get the tastebud burnout I've experienced from some hop bombs). A bit more hops in the aftertaste as well.

Goes down VERY smooth - it's hard to believe this is really 10% ABV. If it truly is, it does the best job of masking the alcohol of any similar brew I've tried.

Certainly not a "session beer," but 6 to 12 ounces of this is most welcome on a cold and snowy Ohio evening (or afternoon, for that matter)!

3.93/5  rDev -6%

Boy am I cheesy. The bros write articles about Curiuex and Burton Baton, so yesterday I reviewed Curiuex and today the Baton. Oh well, both are interesting beers and worth trying, at least once.

Appearance: from a 12oz glass. Pours a deep amber brown. Some floaties in the beer, perhaps from the oak aging or bottle conditioning. Tiny head, which lingers around the edge of the glass. Hey, what do you expect from a beer with this gravity?

Smell: Biscuity, doughy, with hints of citrus and perhaps the tinest bit of vanilla.

Taste. Wonderfully complex but it fatigued my pallette quite quickly. On my first sip I noticed hints of vanilla and other oak induced flavors, mixed with American hops. Quickly though, the hops wore my tongue out, and the malt characteristics began to dominate. This is a rather sweet beer, and much less of a hop attack than I expect from a double IPA, or even the 90 minute IPA which makes up half of this brew.

Mouthfeel.Thick, almost syrupy, very good.

Drinkability: wish it had a bit more hop character. For those who enjoy a strong oktoberfest though, you might love this one.

4.35/5  rDev +4.1%

ST: A 12 oz bottle poured into a Westmalle glass goblet.

A: A nice reddish hue. Gold tones.

S: Sweet fruits, flowers, a nice sweet aroma.

T: Smooth, nothing like an IPA. Spices, fruits, a wonderful taste, the oak aging really does wonders for this brew.

M: Smooth, creamy, very nice.

D: One i would order on a regular basis, a good crossover beer for that friend who is getting in to craft/micros.

Dogfish Head is becoming a favorite of mine....

2.97/5  rDev -28.9%

Poured into Brandy Snifter

I just want to first say...I love DFH Beers, been to the brewpub and they make really good beers and go out on limbs to push the envelope. Again...I really like Dogfish Head Beers.

With that said...

Why would you age an IPA? The whole point is to have the hops. What we have here is a watery malted-cask beverage with a nice ABV.

Appearance: It poured dark amber, approaching on brown, and left nice amebic lacing.

Smell/ Taste/ Mouthfeel : Again...Where are the hops???? Oh yeah, that's right, it was aged...Hops don't age well, which is why you need alot of them. Traces of malt smell were coming through, somewhat. As this beer warmed up the malts became smoother and silkier.
If I did a blind tasting...I would have never thought that this was an IPA. There is a very thin taste that has nothing jumping out.

Drinkability: You could put a couple back. It tastes better when it reaches room temperature, per the malt feel.

I would have this beer again, because it is smooth...but not because it is an IPA.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Look - deep copper. Hazy opaque

Smell – Wow. I was skeptical but the balance between the oak, hop, and malt is amazing. Really a dynamic aroma. I can’t wait to taste it.

Taste - taste is true to smell. Very complex but the flavors blend beautifully together. The oak stands out but does dominate the palette. the hop bitterness follows the oak and keeps the oak controlled. But the malt smooths everything out and pulls everything together. I’m not a huge fan of malt forward IPAs but they are brilliantly used here.

Fee – great carbonation / great body. A big boy.

Overall. Not a go to IPA by any means. This is one you need to enjoy once in a while. But it is a treat and a good break from the “typical” ipa. Well done DFH.

3.66/5  rDev -12.4%

From a 12oz bottle, pours a brilliant clear copper with a thin and quickly-disappearing head. It looks thick in the glass, with a few slowly rising bubbles. Given the backbone of this ale, its aroma is suprisingly muted -sweet hop resins, caramel, and a slightly metallic twang. The first sip is thick and sweet upfront, with a buffered bitterness that rolls off the back of the tongue. It has many of the character features of a strong ale, but is thicker, sweeter, and has a hop profile that comes out of left field (the chewy bubblegum flavors of simcoe or amarillo -hard to tell). Burton Baton is oak aged, but this ale is not particularly oakey.

Overall, a pretty good and (as always) interesting offering from the people at Dogfish Head. It's far from a session beer, or even its easier drinking high alcohol peers from the Belgian family, but definitely worth a good tasting.

This beer is a mixture of 90 minute IPA and an English cask-aged ale to yield a double-IPA. Now I have to admit, I'm a huge fan of the 90 minute IPA. So, after full disclosure, I can safely say that this is one of the top ten beers I've ever sampled.

Poured from the tap as a burnt orange color with a tight, lacy head.

The hops were most discernible in the aromas, not so much in the taste, with scents of tropical fruits and peaches.

The taste was divine - a caramel overtone with hoppy, bitter undertones, all balanced to perfection. This beer is incredibly drinkable, especially considering the high alcohol content. One of the finest dogfish head beers I've ever had.

4.45/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Another great brew from DFH. Starts out hoppy and ends with vanilla.

A: Caramel brown, with a small head

S: Strong hops giving way to the oak barrel

T: Piney up front..strong hops...ending with the oak aging / vanilla

m: Medium, a lillte syrup, bit a good balance. Reminicent of the 90 minute IPA

O: Another finely crafeted brew from DFH. Must try.

3.83/5  rDev -8.4%

Bottled 7-20-11. Nice hazy spice color. Smells of C hops very earthy some burnt sugar and a little pine resin. Head develops and hangs on. Taste follows the nose but the sweetness is there and the alcohol is there too. Slight damp wood aromas circulate in the mouth. Very well carbonated. As it warms it becomes a bit winelike. Over all decent but not worth the money.

4.65/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

bottle poured into a glass on 3/26/13. bottled on 11/12/12.

A- 2 finger of bubbly white head. deep reddish orange body with no apparent signs of carbonation. good lacing. the head disappears to a thin layer.

S- citrus hops with an earthy, herbal overall tone. it smells like a dry hopped, serious business DIPA. quite pungent.

T- all the citrus hops you expect, without being overwhelming. It's got this special way of dancing around the palate and delivering what you want from a double IPA, without being a horrifying experience. it's grassy, herbal, and citrusy. very nice.

M- The body is medium. The carbonation is active. It's semi-dry. It's allows the character of the beer to hang around but doesn't linger beyond pleasant.

O- Awesome! This is the double IPA I'm always looking for. It's a hop bomb that doesn't over stay it's welcome. I'd buy this any day. Fantastic beer by my standard.

4.23/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served into a tulip from a bottle. Bottled 11/21/13

A: cloudy, brown amber. Thin head but some retention

S: lighter than I would have thought. Resinous hops and wood. Some light sweetness. Underwhelming smell

T: Nice... All those smell that we're muted come out in full! Oaky of course, with pine of hops. Not citrus but dank. Syrup like sweetness wonderful malt backbone. Nutty and figs present But in the end the hop and sweetness is there. Slight alcohol burn too. Almost a slight maple taste

M: wonderful, heavy and full like a syrup, backs the taste. Slight carbonation and it lingers.

O: I like it a lot. Balance of sweet and dank hops. Reminiscent of Hopslam really but clearly more available. The oak comes thru. Only strange thing for me was the lack of nose. The taste is really special though.

4.78/5  rDev +14.4%

Pours a dark cherrywood into an oversized wineglass. Tastes a good pine and grapefruit mix of hops. Has a hint of carmel but is not a malty mess like i experience with typical double ipas. Finish is smooth and has a slight aftertaste i cannot identify. Very drinkable considering the high abv. It sneaks up on you but by the time i finish the glass i can feel it on my face. I very glad i tried this even at the price of $7 for a 10 oz glass. Best double ipa I have had.

Burton Baton from Dogfish Head Brewery