Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Burton Baton - Dogfish Head Brewery

Burton BatonBurton Baton

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: Todd on 12-08-2004

This oak-aged gentle giant has been gaining popularity over the past few years and is now available year-round.

For Burton Baton, we brew two "threads," or batches, of beer: an English-style old ale and an imperial IPA.

After fementating the beers separately in our stainless tanks, they're transferred and blended together in one of our large oak tanks. Burton Baton sits on the wood for about a month.

When enjoying the Burton Baton, you'll find an awesome blend of the citrus notes from Northwestern hops melding with woody, vanilla notes from the oak. The wood also tends to mellow the 10% ABV of Burton, so tread cautiously!

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Burton Baton Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,802 | Hads: 6,234
4.18/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle to a wine glass

A - Clear, deep amber colour with a tan head that fades to a very thin layer on top that lasts to the end. Plenty of lacing left behind.

S - A lot of fruit - certainly some citrus from the hops, but also grapes and honeysuckle. Pretty intense

T, M - Big, rich and powerful, this is a beer that tells you "I'm the only thing you're going to be drinking tonight". The sweetness may be a little overpowering for some, but I enjoyed it, and it is held in check by some bittering hops on the finish.

D - I could go for a second, if only I wasn't suddenly feeling so poor after the first...

3.5/5  rDev -16.3%

12 oz bottle, bottled on date too smudged to read.

Clear amber with a two finger creamy head. Good retention, thick sticky lace.

Aroma is sweet vanilla, citrus hops, caramel and yellow cake.

Flavor is sweet also, almost sugary sweet. Lots of vanilla and honey. Hops are in there, but you really have to search. After the initial wave of sweetness subsides you get a slight tingly bitterness, barely enough to keep it from getting cloying.

O.K as a desert beer, but I couldn’t drink more than one.

4.08/5  rDev -2.4%

Appearance: Pours a clear red amber color with a 1/4" head of off white bubbles that fades slowly, but was just a small layer on top of the beer within a minute or so. There is some pretty thick lacing left on the glass after the beer is drank.

Aroma: Lots of fruit in this beer with apples and plums in particular. There are some obvious citrusy notes here from the hops as well as a defined spicy pepper thing going on that I believe is as much from the alcohol as anything. There is a little bit of dry wood here that comes across to me as much as a dry roast as from actual wood aging, but I know that it is the latter because of what is written on the bottle.

Taste: The flavor is medium to full bodied and definitely hits the palate a lot harder than I would have suspected by the aroma. There is a boat load of fruitiness to this beer, but the alcohol adds a clean and defined spicy complexity. The alcohol lightens up the overall impression of this beer, but it is obvious that it is a serious brew from the syrupy sweetness that protects your throat from the alcoholic burn. The overall beer is clean with no flaws...but it is huge!

Opinion: This beer is some experience, so Sam didn't disappoint us with this one. I am quite surprised at how drinkable this beer is for being what it is. Though it has some huge body in there, the alcohol and carbonation make it a lot easier to drink. The reserved bittering hops are also welcome to me so that it doesn't end up harsh and chalky on the back of the throat. This beer is pretty velvety and easy to drink now. If one were to age it, I would do so in the cooler than at room temp as you don't want any oxidation taking this beer over. The fruitiness is plenty already from the hops, so you just want the age to meld the flavors rather than adding its own complexity. You can't drink this beer much, but I would recommend it.

4.13/5  rDev -1.2%

A very complex beer. Delicious too

A- Pours out a beautiful rich copper/amber. Head is short and almost tinted green but lasts a lifetime. Lacing is muscleman strong.

S- It's hard to do this beer justice by simply smelling it because the sweetness of the malt and oak just don't come out. What comes to the nose is a typical IPA of citrus and muted floral tones.

T- I love the combination of so many bold flavors. Oak, grapefruit, honey, rose water. Bitter, as you would expect from an IPA, but very sweet also. This is certainly a prime example of American brewers doing everything bigger...

M- The sweetness leaves a syruppy shine in the mouth, which somewhat overpowers the hoppy tingle.

D- If it was my tongue alone I would love this beer all day. But the alcohol isn't very well masked, and the sweetness can be too much at times.

3.98/5  rDev -4.8%

This was a great find at the Candlewyck in Buckingham, PA. Served in a 12 oz. bottle bought for about $4. I'm not sure what to expect from an oak-aged double IPA, but it should be fun finding out.

APPEARANCE: Pours a crystal clear orange-amber with a one-finger off-white head. The head drops somewhat quickly to a thick collar with a few foamy splotches scattered across the surface.

SMELL: The smell is full aromas of sweet and citrusy and floral hops. Nothing too in your face, but big enough so that you can't miss it. Slight caramel aromas lurk in the background, but one must really search for them.

TASTE: The flavor goes so many places. It begins very spicy and citrusy with a huge caramel maltiness supporting it. Hop bitterness starts to accent the other flavors before they drop out somewhat. The finish returns to the sweet caramel flavors, and it's here that the alcohol makes itself known. No real woody flavors, but one can really tell that this is a barrel-aged beer.

MOUTHFEEL: Pretty thick and very smooth. The body throws me off a little bit, but the carbonation is spot on.

DRINKABILITY: Probably not a repeat customer on this one, in one night anyway. The thickness and alcohol content really make this a huge beer. I was surprised this one had the yellow exclamation point cap, but now I totally see why. This is still a fantastic beer to have one of, and it really does go down smooth.

If there's one thing Dogfish Head does well, it's IPAs. And this is no exception. The oak-aging completely transforms this beer. Certainly the maltiest, sweetest IPA I've ever had.

4.65/5  rDev +11.2%

Grabbed a 12oz issue from this year and served it up in an extra broad french pint. Colour is rusty amber and mostly clear, except for the occasional hazing that comes and goes. Plenty of fanfare on the uncap, but little head. Nice streams of bubbles for the first half, though. Lace is thin and rare, but an incredibly thin single layer of identically sized bubbles. More like foam than lace.

Smell is just indescribable. Every floral and fruit note I've ever smelled from a beer, almost no spice at all. Rose, lavender, strawberry, dark oranges, tobacco, lime, iris, blueberry, and of course, hops. Clearly has a malty base, but the sweetness is downright warm smelling. That'd be the booze, I presume. The scents keep coming. Succulent dark greenery, citronella, a touch of dry yeast, anise.

Body is sweet as hell, but not cloying. Clean light syrup taste, not too much honey or mollasses. Fruits come forward - oranges, overripe apples, tons of sweet pomegranate. Tart on the very first touch of the tongue then smoothes out. Certainly hoppy, but only for a moment before the fruit starts unfolding. Pears, hawiian rolls, ever so slightly smokey meat. Has notes that almost reek of bourbon-casking rather than fresh french oaking - all without being even remotely musty or stale.

Very very clean for the nearly solid body. Heavy on the tongue, but gets out of the way once it's down. Carbonation is subtle but effective at cleaning things out.

Drinkable at first, but the sheer ABV numbs you up quickly. The second half of the glass gets a maltier, spicier character as your nose gets overdosed by the smells and tastes. Different bottles (possibly of different age) have had widely varying boozey-ness.

This was a total surprise. Nothing like any IPA I've yet had. Not really hoppy so much as herby and floral. Sweet like the 90 minute but not syrupy and sticky like it. The least "salty" imperial IPA I've had yet. True, half a glass is what you need to get the idea, so share this one, even if it's a small one.

(original review dated March 2007)

UPDATE: Finally, for my 30th birthday (June 2010), cracked open a bottle of 2005!

I've had a pair of these girls in my beer fridge for ~3 years, bought them in 2008 from Bottleworks in Seattle when they were selling off some vintage stock. Not sure how they were treated before my time with them, but since I got my hands on them they've been at a steadfast 58 degrees.

Bottle is exactly the same as you'd see today - 12oz with the same label as modern vintages. One difference is that rather than the red/gold DFH cap, the '05s have the bright-yellow "exclamation fish" cap.

Said cap popped with a reassuring release of gas. No leaks, no rust. So happy! Poured crystal clear into a crystal flute with just one or two honkin' big flecks of yeast swimming around. Colour is still the standard copper-brown with lemo-yellow edges where the glass ends. About 1/2" of clean, white head that leaves a few circles of lace.

Smell is overwhelmingly of honey and aged malts. Doesn't smell it's age. Smells like most beers do after 2 years, let alone 5. Vanilla/oak is still there, though riding a on more caramel than I remember. Hops are all but gone, but there is something resinous left - amber and moss, some freshly torn leaves?

Taste is an odd mix of sweet and tart. All that's left of the hop acids is a talc-y afterthought that never makes it to quite being tart. More sour notes than I expected. Pencil shavings, tobbacco, cocoa (power, not butter). Hops come back for one last hurrah tasting something like juniper. Beeswax candles.

Mouthfeel is sticky as hell. Carbonation is all still there after 5-6 years, but somehow the heaviness has come full circle. In all, quite a bit lighter in flavour than when young, and in aroma. Tastes more like a distilled beverage than a brewed one in some ways. Creamy as hell when warm.

In all, has held up to half a decade better than most IPAs could dream of, but not too surprising given the stats on it. No weird off-flavours, only a loss of hops and a gain of malt complexity. Interesting as an experiment, totally worth the wait, but I'm increasingly convinced that the sweet spot for this brew is 9-18 months of age.

3.65/5  rDev -12.7%

dogfish head burton baton pours up dark copper and brilliant with a soft white head the fell into a thin haze covering the beer.
the aroma is malt, hop, citrus, bourbon, and vanilla
the flavor is malty, carmelized malt, spice, little peppery, hop sack, resin, bourbon , and a hint of oak, with a warming of alcohol.

4.23/5  rDev +1.2%

Pours a beautifully clear amber with a thin white head that quickly dissapates and some nice lacing around the edges. Wow, what a sweet malty aroma! I also picked up some mild hoppiness & alcohol.

Taste is big on sweet malt up front with some hints of vanilla & oak. Nice but not overly hoppy finish that seems to stick to the tongue. Nice thick, sweet body with some great carbonation that really sticks it in the end.

Wow, Dogfish does it again! A fantastic blend of a strong ale & their IPA products that is a perfect blend of both.

2.88/5  rDev -31.1%

Purchased 12 oz bottle from Martignetti's

This is quite different from the 90/60 minute. I don't know how they made it 10% as it's downright evil in how well it hides its alcohol content. There's a lot of sugar in this so if you don't like beers on the sweet side, it's going to disagree with your palate. The more I drink it, the more the taste doesn't agree with me. It's got a very herb-like aftertaste that doesn't mix well with the initial sweetness. I'm really have a hard time finding the hops in what's supposed to be a double IPA. Mouthfeel is a bit weak and watery at the end.This was one of those beers where the first sip was the best...better to save it for a 1 oz tasting.

3.57/5  rDev -14.6%

Executive Summary: This is another example of DFH creativity taking you on a trip that is often dizzying at times. The intent is noble, but I get the feeling that they got in their own way on this. When I see a blend of a fresh and an aged IPA, I don't expect a sweet sipper. Not that it's bad...it's just not focused on a central theme.

2007 Edition

Appearance: Crystal clear copper/amber pour into my snifter. Off-white head starts thin and quickly reduces to a bubbly film. Lacing is persistent.

Smell: More hops in the nose than I remember it from a previous version. It smells a lot like the 90 minute - with that sweet underbelly. Perhaps some evidence of the oak aging here, but that may just be in my head.

Taste: Sweet malt with alcohol running throughout. Some hop flavor, but its arrival is muted by the spicy sweetness and its presence is overtaken by a pulse of alcoholic heat. Elements of oak are faint, but noticeable. Flavor is nice - don't get me wrong - but I'm left a little disoriented and don't know exactly what this is trying to be.

Mouthfeel: Not as viscous or sticky going down as I had expected, and that's a good thing. Given the above elements, I think that would have pushed me over the edge. Still leaves stickiness on your lips, of course.

Drinkability: Not really one of which I'd have more than one at a time.

3.85/5  rDev -7.9%

Served from bottle into standard pint glass.

Pours a crystal clear medium amber. About a 1/4 inch off white head. Average retention, but a decent amount of lace.

Aroma is malty with some hop presence, but not nearly what I was expecting. A touch of alcohol is evident as well. Vanilla comes out after it warms.

Flavor is malty, with sweet fruits. Finish is fairly sweet, and I get maybe a hint of oak with clear vanilla notes (especially after it warms up). Hops don't really make an impression until the finish, but even then they are fairly mild. Only a slight bitterness into the aftertaste, with a hint of alcohol as well.

Medium to full body, with fairly mild carbonation. Thick, syrupy mouthfeel. Balance is quite good, and there is evident alcohol warming. I'm not sure what to make of this beer. I don't get any of the citrusy hops the label/website makes you think you'll find, and I really had to let it warm up before I started getting the vanilla notes. It's certainly not a bad beer, and is actually pretty interesting....but to me it's nothing like what I was expecting. It's a nice mellow, warming beer...would be great in the winter. Very drinkable, but high ABV keeps it from being sessionable.

4.55/5  rDev +8.9%

Bottle Inspection: 12 brown bottle, Label gives: 10% abv., notes that it can age well. No date or vintage. Blended oak aged and fresh IPA, mmm…

Aroma: Sweet sticky malt spiked with fresh picked sticky hops. Hops are citric and fresh and blend with a mild bourbon oak. Hop perfume, very attractive.

Appearance: Bright clarity in a copper glass. Moderate pour gives a thin cover, which given the abv. is respectable. The cover retreats to a collar, but only after curtains of lace. Tiny carbonation bubbles rise slowly.

Flavor: Malt is rich with almost a doppelbock flavor. The taste slowly fades over to a full alpha acid bath in the finish that manages to keep this malt bomb from going cloy. As the glass warms and my palate adjusts, I can note a familiar “DFH” flavor which I have to assume is their house yeast, though it might just be a similar hop profile.

Mouthfeel: Viscous and heavy, I think it took three swallows to get the first sip down. Big chew and a Valdez of an oil spill at the back end.

Overall Impression: I’ve heard this described as a 105 minute IPA, a middle ground between the 90 and 120. It’s not too far off. It’s a happy middle ground. Just a great beer, glad to see it here in Texas!

3.43/5  rDev -17.9%

The first time I drank this I thought it was really a barleywine. The second time I think I had a better feel for what they were going for. The beer is orange and has a small, short white head. The taste is similar to 90 minute but sweeter. In fact, too sweet for me. I could not taste any oak at all (or much hops for that matter).

3.18/5  rDev -23.9%

I always seem to have a hard time reviewing DFH because of their take on brew are a bit extreme. Which is a good thing. Burton Baton left me wondering if this is true DIPA. Poured a clear amber hue with a very small off white almost cream head. The head was virtually gone and left no lace on glass. The sweet aroma of malt was overpowered by the ester scent of alcohol. The flavor was surprisingly sweet and not very hoopy at all. I had trouble tasting the caskwood (oak). The funny thing is that I could drink this brew all night long, very smooth, medium to full body, syrupy and softly carbonated the way I enjoy them. I wish it was more bold in flavor.

4.24/5  rDev +1.4%

12 oz brown bottle poured into my St. Feuillien snifter.

Nice aroma; fruity and sweet with a malty character.

The beer is thick and very sweet; not hoppy at all as I'd expect from an IPA but more characteristic of a Belgian strong ale. It's balanced well and the oak aging definitely makes a strong impression, both in the smell and character of the beer as well as the mellowed out flavor. I'd love to try this one aged for a few years.

Overall a fantastic beer, although not quite what I expected from a Double IPA. It's easy to drink, sweet and well-balanced. Dogfish Head has another winner on their hands; now if only they could lower the price and make it available to the masses!

3.94/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle poured into a snifter glass. Bottled in January 2007.

Pours a bronze, copper color. Thin head that leaves some lacing around the edge of the glass. Has a sweet smell, not the citrus smell I expected from an IPA.

Taste is very sweet, but it has a nice balance to it. Not too much of an IPA, not too overpowering with the oak flavors. Still, it could probably use a little time to allow the alcohol to mellow out.

A slow sipper. I took my time and allowed it to warm up a little before finishing it off. A nice beer, but I'll probably put some away and try again in a year.

3.35/5  rDev -19.9%

Bottled in January of this year.

Pours out a shimmering, viscous apricot with scant bubbles slowly rising to the top. Head starts off thin, which then settles to a thin ring leaving a few hairs of lace. The smell starts off with honey sweetness and pine resin which follows into vanilla aromas from the oak and the citrus aspect of the hops. Some alcohol is present but it isn't overbearing. Its like smelling a liquified custard of vanilla and orange zest. In the flavor, the 90 Minute certainly comes out more, in terms of the hops. The other beer this is mixed with brings on a lot of honey sweetness with dulled oak tones which are then mingled with the citrus hops. Finish is sweet with a closing bitterness from the hops and a bit of an off-putting medicinal-like alcohol quality. Too sweet. Mouthfeel is warming, slick, and heavy, with mild carbonation. Really, an interesting beer, but not wholly drinkable. The alcohol and sweetness needs to mellow out quite a bit.

3.95/5  rDev -5.5%

Paid $13.99 for a 4-pk. Ouch. Better be good.

Brilliantly crystal clear, orange brown color with garnet shimmer in the right light. No noticable head but appreciable lacing. Smell is hops & spice - citrus, cinnamon, pine, licorice, sweet caramel malt. Taste is all dogfish. Heavy heavy malt, almost a honeyness to it. Very complicated taste. Reminds me of Raison d'etre at first. Hops are there but not as dominant or even as playful as a standard IPA. This isn't a 90-min recipe redone. Seems like they're going for more class here. It works too. The betas are present here - there's a bit of medicine and a sharp dryness. Whisky. Maple. Charcoal. Also some bubblegum, but that vanishes fast. Mouthfeel is sharp bubble and a bit too sticky.

3.61/5  rDev -13.6%

From a December 2005 bottle that I've had cellaring for a year or so.

A: Dark orange or copepr depending on the light, with a creamy head that rings the beer beneath.

S: Sweet fruit and strong alcohol. Maybe the cellaring caused the hops to mellow out, but there is little indication from the bouquet that this is a DIPA, even an oak-aged one.

T: Yup...the sweet fruit and strong alcohol play out here also. There's a crisp, bitter finish but otherwise the hops are well-bleneded into this brew. The bitterness in the finish is almost woody.

M/D: Heavy and creamy. The oak adds a dimension of smoothness to this BB's overall texture that gives the beer a great balance and overall feel--it even manages to showcase a pronounced alcohol flavor without the hotness that might otherwise alter this beer's mouthfeel.

Overall, this is a "DIPA" in the same vein as Founders Devil Dancer. It pushes the limits of the DIPA style to where it merges into a barley wine. A complex and nicely balanced strong ale from Dogfish Head.

2.9/5  rDev -30.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Another over the top beer from DFH. I was going to pan Mahaffey's Pub (in Baltimore) for describing this beer as a double IPA, but sure enough, that's how DFH characterizes it as well.

The overall flavor I got out of this was sweetness. There was a bit of refreshing hoppiness in the finish, but not much. In fact, I found this beer to be so sweet that, coupled with the high abv., I found it to be not very drinkable at all. Like the 120 minute IPA, the smell and taste of sweetness is so overwhelming that it's difficult to detect any hop presence.

According to the menu at Mahaffey's, this beer is oak aged. I guess that could account for some of the sweetness, but surely something else must have been added to make it that sweet (though the website says that it's a blend of the 90 minute and an oak-aged english strong ale). In any event, this just is not a style of beer I personally care for, and is not a beer I will be ordering again.

I simply do not understand DFH's love affair with oak.

2.96/5  rDev -29.2%

served into a large flared tulip glass from a 12oz long neck brown bottle with a crimped on cap bottled on date 1/8/07.

Deep,amber/reddish color with a golden hue.Off white head dissapated quickly into a constiant layer of foam. Spotty lacing with lots of tiny strings of tighly knitted bubbles racing from the center of the glass.

Fruity aromas with a charred wood aroma with oaky notes.Earthy,floral,no real hop aromas a bit grassy. Moderate aromas with good complexity.

Very sweet,sugary lots of booziness. A woody,oaky taste is very present. Earthy,grassy finishes with a dry,crisp,clean bitteness that lingers on the palate. Good balance,very sugary and boozy.

Very dry and creamy leaves a sugary coating all over the palate. A sipper for sure,had a hard time finishing a bottle a bit too sugary for me overall, would be an interesting beer to age.

4.37/5  rDev +4.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Ruination glass (the 4-pack cost $14 in Columbus). The bottle states it's a mixture of fresh and aged imperial IPA's. Based on all my impressions, it seems to be fresh 90 minute mixed with some aged 120 minute. This is an almost ideal combination, as the 90 minute is a perfect IPA but the 120 minute is too agressive of a DIPA. In between must be pretty good DIPA territory.

The beer's appearance is similar to 90 minute, crystal clear copper color with a thin off-white head. The flavor is a complex mix of hops and malts, a lot of both were poured into the beer's component ales. There was some fruity character in there as well, which I also detected a lot of in 120 minute. The mouthfeel was thicker than 90 minute but lighter than the molasses-like 120 minute. Drinkability is not really high, as this is a slow sipper. But it's sure more drinkable than the 120 minute.

Excellent beer mix.

4.12/5  rDev -1.4%

Served in a snifter, the beer pours a copper color with a small off-white head. Lacing is OK. The beer smells like citrus and oak, with an overall sweet hoppy smell. It tastes very sweet, like toffee, vanilla, pepper (spice) and citrus (grapefruit). There's just a slight bitter aftertaste, but overall it's a very sweet beer. Not quite what I expected, not that it's a bad thing. The mouthfeel is medium, and it's a smooth beer. Drinkability is good, but it's a little too sweet for me but the beer does go down easy, and it has just the right amount of carbonation to make it good. It's just a bit too sweet for me to drink more than one at a time. I think it's a good dessert beer. Also, the 10% ABV isn't noticable at all. I'd buy it again, and I'd recommend it to others to try.

4.05/5  rDev -3.1%

Pours out a beautiful clear amber with just a smidgen of suds and nice lacing on the tulip.
Smell is dark citrus and alcohol. Dark roasted caramel malt with an almost chocolatey aroma.
Taste is initially sweet with caramel sugars then the hops try to get through but the sugar and alcohol supress that quickly.
The aftertaste is sugar. Not as much bitterness as I would have wanted. Almost a sugar cookie with raisins type of thing.
Kinda bland in the mouth but the alcohol is right there to warm things up.
Too strong for my tastes but still a nice try at a double IPA. Russian River, where are you when I need you?

3.63/5  rDev -13.2%

12 oz. bottle, 10 % ABV. Very clear copper in color. Appears to be a lot of active carbonation. Thick off-white rocky head. Excellent head retention. Citrusy aroma, a bit fruity and woodsy. Very sweet up front, and a bit fruity. Nice citrust hop bite, which seems to be somewhat balanced by the malt. A bit of oak character in the background. Great patches of lace coating the sides of the glass. Nice body. The sweetness kills the drinkability for me. Some lingering bitterness, but the sweetness remains. Alcohol seems well hidden. Not bad, could age well I suppose.

Burton Baton from Dogfish Head Brewery