Burton Baton - Dogfish Head Brewery

Burton BatonBurton Baton

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: Todd on 12-08-2004

This oak-aged gentle giant has been gaining popularity over the past few years and is now available year-round.

For Burton Baton, we brew two "threads," or batches, of beer: an English-style old ale and an imperial IPA.

After fementating the beers separately in our stainless tanks, they're transferred and blended together in one of our large oak tanks. Burton Baton sits on the wood for about a month.

When enjoying the Burton Baton, you'll find an awesome blend of the citrus notes from Northwestern hops melding with woody, vanilla notes from the oak. The wood also tends to mellow the 10% ABV of Burton, so tread cautiously!

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Burton Baton Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,785 | Hads: 6,164
4.07/5  rDev -2.2%

Purchased at New Beer Distributors.
Nearly creamy on the palate. Could stand to be a bit more bubbly as it's a tad bit flat, but at 10% it's something that one can anticipate.
Hops bombard the smell in a good way. Oddly enough, this isn't bitter at all, which is almost a bad thing as it's a bit too sweet. A drying bitterness would be welcome in this situation... alas... this is not the case.
For something 10% strong this is quite drinkable; very well concealed.
Still, I was hoping for something with a bit more character.
90 Minute IPA is a more satisfying brew...
That's what I have to say about that. (614 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +1%

Received via trade from warriorsoul...thanks man...

Caramel or maple syrup colored body, nice and clear with a little carbonation apparent. Just barely off-white head on top. Not much formed initially and only a ring around my glass remains.

Immediately the oak jumps from the glass and is the dominate aroma. Some biscuity malts play in with some floral and a touch of citrus hops, maybe some apricot. A little sweetness and a little woodiness...unique to say the least...

This is definately hopped like a DIPA, but has the complexities of a strong ale or a barleywine. Initially some spiciness hits my tongue and turns to bitterness midway through turning to caramel sweetness and then an earthy, malty bitterness remains. Oak is evident in the finish as well. The bitterness is accompanied by some resinous hops that don't want to go away. Alcohol is present but not a detractor. This is a super complex brew that tastes a bit different everytime it goes down.

Mouthfeel is a bit heavier than medium, I'd say. Carbonation makes it crisp. Drinkability is okay. This one is a sipper and not an easy to quaff DIPA like many others. Alcohol is definately noticable on the stomach. I'd love to have this again, just not tonight. A super-unique brew that is quite a bit different than the usual west-coast hop bombs. I like... (1,335 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +1%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a 16oz shaker at once.

Nice balsa like head reduced to a layer of fuzz with some clinging around the periphery of the glass. Immediate aroma was fruity and subtle. Not intense with hops and citrus as I expected. This is my first go at this one.

Slight metallic bite at first. Very smooth and creamy. Nice tart character. The taste of alcohol is masked well. However, the warmth of the high ABV dominates the full feel. Sweetness peaks through as it opens up with time. The blend of wood aged beer is noted. The young blend is supressed by the aged. Odd that this imperial IPA remindes me of a stout or porter with the taste of well roasted malts. I would have failed the blindfold taste test with this one. Could it be the wood?

Nice and drinkable. Definately need to grab one to cellar for another taste in the future. (860 characters)

3.61/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Brilliantly clear (filtered) amber with a slightly tan thick head that fills my pint glass. I can smell cloyingl sweet maltiness topped with abrasive hop bitterness. Smells exactly like I expect any DFH IPA to smell, and tastes almost exactly as I expected as well. Cloying syrupy/caramelly sweetness leads the way. A slightly less than balanced bittering makes this hard to qualify as a DIPA IMO. Oak aging is barely evident. Moderate to full body is enjoyable with the right amount of carbonation. Good beer, but not as good as I was hoping for, I think it needs more hops and oak. Since it is 10%, and not what I expected, the drinkability suffered a bit, but I would consider this beer again if I was looking for a sweet slightly hoppy ale, but I might be more likely to pick up 90min. (789 characters)

4.61/5  rDev +10.8%

I love getting DFH beers just for the fact that I get to use my rounded, heavy-based DFH pint glass properly! Hooray!

I also love the presentation of this particular DFH beer. All of the others have serious YAWN... HO-HUM factor for me. I think, honestly, that it's the neon yellow-green dogfish 'warning label' cap that does it for me. it's so out of place on the earth-toned bottle.

It pours a very clear, very deep oak amber-red, chock full of medium size, very lazy bubbles. The head is two fingers, slightly tan in color, fluffy, and retains well until I've drained it during a few draughts. It leaves behind sticky lacing.

For a 10% DIPA, I expect a lot more hops in the nose - now, I run into a bit of a quandary here, because of these two points: The beer smells amazing. But it doesn't smell hoppy. There are definitely huge notes of influence from the oak aging, a rich woody vanilla creaminess that tones up the medium-roasty malts - there's a big hit of honey in the nose, too, but no bitterness and, really, almost no hops to be found.

Now the taste, on the other hand, is awesome. I mean, really awesome. This is going to be a hard one to describe. Hitting the tongue, there's a really rich, mild sweetness that's kind of a medium blend of honey and caramel, but it's immediately wiped out by the middle, which is the dominating presence of the beer's taste - it's thick, slightly fluffy, with a nutty, earthy, woody flavor - really more of an all around taste sensation than any singular flavors. The finish is slightly dry, with just the tiniest bit of alcohol peeking through, and a slight rosy hop bitterness, but this really isn't what I'd call a DIPA. Not at all. If I called the shots, I'd call this an American Strong Ale.

Mouthfeel - Wow, incredibly thick. Almost 90minute thick and oily, but very easy to drink. It's spiced up with a bit more carbonation than the 90 minute, which really brings out the honey and nutty tones. It really fills the mouth, tightening a taste bud here or there with some alcohol. Swallowing is half-dry, half-lingering stickiness, and the alcohol warms alll the way down.

Okay - this is 10%. Yes, I've mentioned alcohol several times in this review. However, I will go on record as saying this is one of the easiest to drink strong ales I've had in recent memory. Case in point: Double Bastard. Also 10%. That brew is positively evil. It's evil (delicious evil) in a bottle. I had to drink that Bastard very, very slow. This, on the other hand, is a drinker. This is a pussycat all the way down into your belly, where it turns into a monster. I could easily drink a 4-pack of this at a go. (2,660 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +3.8%

Now that's a seriously balanced IPA! Every ripe fruit imaginable is apparent from the aroma, taste, texture, and finish.

Burton Baton begins with a hazy deep copper color, a dense eggshell white head that blankets the top of the glass, leaving a ton of lacing behind. This is one good looking beer.

Everything from apples to oranges, pineapples to mangos, peaches and pears comes through the estery mix in aroma. Wood aging gave a complex nut and earthy character along with a little intriguing vinous note. Hops give a big grapefruit, orange zest, and pine flavor with bitterness that compliments the wood aging nicely. With so much flavor, the delicate bread and yeast flavors are still appreciated.

Very well blended and melded into a smooth, rich brew that's nowhere near thick or cloying. Strong and sweet, smooth and succulent. The 10% is nowhere to be found. Very good beer.

Thanks Clvand0. (904 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

12 oz bottle. 10% abv. Says on the bottle it ages with the best of 'em.

Pure amber color. Very modest off-white head that I must say, tastes delicious.. Aroma is citrus hops and a buttery, roasted malt lying in the background. One thing's fairly clear..there's plenty of malt to help balance this huge beer out. Unique & interesting.. this maintains some trademark IPA qualities, but with a roasted oak & molasses kicker.
Another great brew by the always evolving Dogfish Head. (482 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -2.6%

The beer pours an amber color with a thick frothy offwhite head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is good. It has a nice, warm malty scent that boasts of pale and carapils malts along with an intensely bitter hop aroma. There is a slight oakey aroma that adds balance to this powerful brew. The taste is good as well. It has a smooth malty flavor that goes down slow and warm and finishes bitter and a bit sweet. It has a rich malt flavor as well as their traditional continually hopped taste. It's unique from anything I've ever tried. The oak aging provides a buffer from the high alcohol and adds a nice balance to the taste. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a tastey beer, but not the best Dogfish Head offers. I like the concept, but the 120 IPA is better. Still, this is a good drinking beer, at a slow pace. (869 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a amber brown with a small offwhite head about a quarter inch thick.
S: Very sweet smelling for a DIPA. Malted barley, alcohol, earthy hops.
T: Very malty, which is balanced by a strong but not overwhelming hop presence. Some mango flavor is also present. Alcohol is noticeable on the tongue.
M: Chunky and full, very nice mouthfeel. Goes down smooth, carbonation is good.
D: Alcohol flavors develop more while the beer warms and you drink more of it. This is a sipping beer and one that you enjoy one of a night. I personally liked this much more than the 90 Minute, so if you enjoy that I would recommend giving this a try. A very well balanced beer. (665 characters)

Bottled: 12/29/05

Pours a clear, deep orange hue with a thin, creamy off-white head.
Hmmm...very interesting aroma - delicate flowers, tropical fruits, toasty - some yeast and woody vanilla flavors with a little spicy alcohol. Taste is earthy hops and wood - quite floral with some fruits in the background. The oak flavors are prominent with a long sweet finish - a little bready. Smooth, rounded mouthfeel is warming...this is definately a strong beer.

Not really an IPA...more of a complex oak aged strong ale of some kind. Pretty impressive nevertheless - another interesting beer from DFH. Probably worth aging some more... (637 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -11.1%

Bottled 12/2005

A - Pours a clear copper with thin off white head.

S - Vanilla, woody oak, caramel malt, slightly fruity/floral hop bitterness, touch of alcohol present.

T - Oaky vanilla, citrus hop presence with a sweet malt backbone. I'm not a huge fan of the way the vanilla/oaky taste blends with the sweet malty flavors. Slight hint of alcohol but hidden well for 10%.

M - Medium mouthfeel with a nice creamy body.

D - Nice unique take on an IPA but a little too much vanilla/Sweetness for my tastes. I am going to have to let the other one I have age for a while and revisit. (596 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +1%

Bronze/copper body with high clarity and a massive initial burst of carbonation streams. Topped by a slightly off-white finger-plus slab of dense foam.

Nose is oak and vanilla, with some subtle hints of fruit lurking around the edges. NIce, if not quite as big as I had anticipated.

Sweet beginning, both malty and alcoholic. Hops arrive both earthy and bitter and subdue the sweetness for a moment, but the sweetness and the alcohol arise from the grave and conquer the aftertaste with a belly warming glow. Vanilla lingers on at the conclusion of each sip.

Good medium-plus mouthfeel. Drinkability is good, but not dangerous.

Complex. Surprising - not what I expected at all. There certainly may be an imperial ipa in the bottle, but the barrel aging has, to my tastes, moved this to American Strong Ale or Barleywine. Whatever it ended up, it's a good and interesting beer. (889 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +6.3%

One of my favorite Dogfish Head beers (and that says a lot). Burton Baton is the clasic Dogfish IPA combined with the full flavor of an oak-aged ale. Appearnce is dark, and pours without much head. Has a nice earthy, slightly malty taste without much bitterness or excessive hops. Oak and alcohol flavors are prominent, and it goes down beautifully for a 10% abv. beer. My overall impression of the beer after a few tastes were of a nice barleywine, but it gets more complex as you continue to sip. I have fond memories of drinking this beer on the deserted January Delaware beachfront, and after revisiting it I can say that it lived up to my high expectations. Just don't try to drive afterwards. (698 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -8.7%

Nice dark ruby color that the stronger IPAs tend to have. Smells inviting - sweet and not too obnoxiously hoppy.

The taste is getting toward the sweeter, syrupy side, much like the 120 min, but kind of a step down. I'm not knocked on my ass by the hop character, which is nice. It is seemingly well balanced (as well balanced as an imperial ipa can be) and smoothed out by the sweet malt flavors. Full bodied and mouth-filling.

The best way to catagorize Burton Baton is that its the perfect step between 90 min ipa and the 120 min ipa. I would be very interested to try the three of them in a row, one after another. (623 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -1.9%

Shining light copper. The aroma, though subtle, is very unique and enjoyable giving hints of wet wood, tobacco and peach, while the warrior hops contribute a distinct spicyness along with a touch of tangerine and lemon. The wood contribution is very lovely, mellowing out the bitterness, yet retaining the hop flavor, and also adding notes of vanilla and wine. Very dynamic, complex and interchanging flavors. The malt provides an adequate backing, but are easily conquered and beaten by the pleasing hop flavor. A very unique beer and what makes it even better is that it touches a little bit of history that I never knew existed. (631 characters)

3.49/5  rDev -16.1%

I can't believe DFH has an oak-aged imperial IPA and I didn't know about it. My favorite style of beer in oak, which I absolutely love.

12 oz bottle. Pours an amber/golden color with a half inch head. Very little lacing.

Smells of oak, vanilla, bubble gum, alcohol and sweet malt. Smells awesome.

Despite the smell, there is almost no sweetness in this brew. The flavor is mostly the oak and the alcohol. Very little hop flavor, but in the finish I finally make out some grapefruity hop flavor.

I wish there was more sweetness in this to balance out the oak and the alcohol. This might be the first time I've thought a beer had too much oak. I had expected much more out of this, but oh well, my DFH 90 minute never disappoints. (741 characters)

4.15/5  rDev -0.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle with no freshness date into an oversized wine glass. Bottle art includes a gentleman, maybe Roy Rogers, sitting on an old oak barrel playing a guitar. I imagine he is playing bluegrass or some twangy country tunes reminiscent of Bela Fleck or any other Appalachian plucker.

A half finger sized head forms on top of the beer. It leaves rather quickly. Little lacing left. Large bubbles on top of the beer are the only remains of the foam.

Not a whole lot of hops in the aroma. They seem more subdued. I like to have hops in my face on a DIPA. Smoky and vanilla aromas are present. Has a sort of bourbon smell not unlike a barley wine. Caramel malts as well. Woody and earthy.

I love the taste of this. Although there isnt a large hop profile, there is great balance in the malt and hops. A tiny bit of hop bitterness. Alcohol is prevalant. Oak is a major component in the taste. I enjoy that. Citrus hops are present in little burps after consumption. Warming.

Medium body. Warming. Flushes my face even more than the sun and windburn I occured today. A perfect capper to a long day outdoors. Watch for that alcohol though. Fairly powerful.

If you ask me, this is an IPA mixed with a barley wine and a touch of the Indian Brown Ale. That is my dream. Possibly reality....? (1,315 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +14.7%

Unfortunatly I only had the pleasure of sampling a 12 ounce botle of this noble creation. No fbottled on dat given, too bad cuz I'm sure this one will age nicely. Pours a nice soft dark honey tone, fairly clear with a tan head, leaves scattered aand fine lacing upon a gentle swirl. Nose of brandy, hops and dense peaty malts. Soft smooth, velvety mouthfeel. This is a fine fine brew, ready to consume today and i'm sure will only get better after a ffew years in a cool, dark place. Notes of vanilla, brandy, leather, rich malts, citric hops. Yeah baby this is the goods. Everything soft and smooth, no harshness or bitterness. Balanced and highly drinkable. Looking to get more of this stuff, alot more! Seek out and enjoy. (725 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +7.5%

Undated 12oz purchased at Merchant's in Dearborn and poured into a tulip.

Dark amber under a finger of off white that shows good retention and leaves good lacing.

Pineapple and grapefruit hop aromas paired with sweet maltiness and wood. A little alcoholic heat as well. The yeast seems to also add another layer of fruit as it warms.

Tastes fruity with the grapefruit/pineapple combo from the nose now in juice form. Woody with a big malt flavor and a little heat from the abv. Very balanced for such a big ass beer.

Full creamy mouth with the right amount of carbonation. About as drinkable as something this strong can be. (636 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +1%

Excited to see this at my local Whole Foods - read many good things of this.

Pours into my tulip glass a beautiful, clear garnet with a thin eggshell cap of foam which dissapates to a silky ring. Light carbonation struggles through the oily elixir and a skiff of a head is maintained only by the etching at the bottom of the glass.

Aromas are of rich fruity sweetness and a 'dark', mellow hoppiness - not at all characteristic of the 90-min from which this is blended. Maybe some background earthiness coming from the oak (yeast?).

Flavour is rich - cherries soaked in dark-rum upon a foundation of earthy, cedar-like spice. Blindfolded, (or even not having seen the bottle), I would have classified this strictly as a very good Barleywine. I got no impression whatsoever of this being a blended Imperial IPA, and any oak presence is quite subtle and sorta dissapointing in this regard.

Slick, oily mouthfeel is very satisfying and warming. I had this as a nigthcap and it was perfect for such an occasion. Very drinkable though at 10%, you won't be drinking much.

Overall, an excellent offering from Dogfish Head, just not quite as 'unique' as I'd been expecting. (1,179 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

Bottle Pours a clear amber with a large creamy off white head that produces good lacing and is lasting. Has a great hoppy aroma of spruce and pine. Has an oily scent as well. Taste is a crisp mild IPA. Not overly bitter. Has a good mouthfeel. Is on the light bodied side. The high abv is very well hidden. Carbonation is a little light but not bad. Overall another winner from Dogfish Head, I really love the beer these guys make. (430 characters)

3.98/5  rDev -4.3%

Pours a nice copperish amber color with a nice inch thick white fluffy head that doesnt stick around. Nice lacing around the glass.
Aromas are soft and less pronounced than expected. There are slight fruity prune like esters in the nose with some sweet sugar, an oak type wood smell.
Big hoppiness with a creamy feel and some fruity esters under the surface. Alcohol flavors present but not abrasive. Syrupy sweetness wraps every sip of that creamy/fruity/hoppy flavor. Fairly complex and flavors blend together fairly well. There is an oak type flavor that I associate with the creamy feel and flavor.
Moderate sticky mouthfeel with nice carbonation and this beer really finds each taste bud.
Although this is very enjoyable one is enough for me. Another big beer from dogfish that keeps you sipping waiting to discover a deeper taste. (842 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

You can't deny the sheer awesomeness of some of DFH's brews. If you do, I feel sorry for you, cuz your missing out on beer like Burton Baton. This is one of my favorites of the brewery...fanboy gushing warning, skip this review if you have a weak stomach.

Actually, this beer isn't perfect. It's most glaring flaw is that it just doesn't have that over the top hop presence I expect from an American Double IPA. Unlike it's sibling 90 Minute and cousin 60 Minute, I don't feel like I'm drinking honest to god American IPA when I drink this. The malt character is so accentuated, that I feel like I'm in barleywine territory. The lack of a supreme hop kick to the gullet is a slight letdown.

But this beer tastes awesome. There is a significant hop presence, even if it isn't on par with the rest of the best, sweet and citrusy like grapefruit running simultaneously with a strong piney flavor. The alcohol doesn't burn unpleasantly, but warms the jaws and throat enough to remind you that you're drinking a strong ale. Grapejuicy malt flavors come on strong with each sip. Hints of oak keep popping up here and there, as well as an unpleasant tannin bitterness puckering up my tastebuds. Tannins might be this beers other major flaw, as they become more noticeable and more puckering the farther into the cup I drink, but they honestly don't ever get out of hand. I'm just nitpicking.

Burps. This is a lightly carbonated beer, so you won't burp much if at all, but if you do you'll be treated to a warm hopflavored gust of air wafting up your trachea, and all will seem at peace with the world. Seriously, I don't think people take burping seriously enough. I guess it's uncouth and all that, and we want to be beer advocates, not reinforce the negative stereotype of the beer swilling slob...but burps don't have to be loud and rude, you can keep them to yourself, and they add to the enjoyment of beer, which is a good thing.

Appearance and smell. Very dark amber, with a dense caramel head, which eventually dies down to a sticky lacing. Smells like hops, citrus fruit, and grapejuice. Very strong and pleasant aroma.

Overall a tasty and complex beer with some debatable and some actual flaws that nevertheless manages to be awesome. (2,254 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +1.7%

Beautiful deep amber hue with a 1/2" cream colored head... lots of bubbles, telling of the carbonation level. Head quickly subsides to a thin cap.

Initially, a big unbalanced hop aroma.... this is followed up by a musty, oaky aroma... a small touch of malt.... nice and complex, yet once the oak takes over, the hop is nowhere to be seen (or smelled).

The hops that I thought would be huge in this one are overwhelmed by the oakiness... some bourbon is noticebale in this, as is a fair amount of alcohol. Unfortunately the hops are hardly noticeable (barely perceptable lemon zest, indicative of the hops)... which is a shame, since everyone know how beautiful the 60 and 90min are. In short... good, but not what I was looking for.

Big powerful mouthfeel with a puckering of the tongue due to the hops. A perfect blend of oaky smoothness and hop bite.... well done in this regard.

Extremely drinkable for a 10% brew.... extremely inoffensive to the palate, tight and smooth, yet wild and untamed.

An interesting brew, although not one I'm sure I'd drop another $5 for a 12oz bottle again anytime soon. (1,118 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Very pleasant dark copper color that reflects light through just right. Great looking head that turns into a perfect juicy/tight bubbled layer. A swirl brings fine lace and boosts retention with ease. I bet this fresh off tap would get a five for app. Aroma is creamy, juicy and spicey all in one. Fragrant/aromatic lemon with nuts, roses and tulips, some banana cream pie, and lastly some pina colada. Taste begins sweet and smooth, maybe with a little creamy pina colada and caramel??? followed by what you realize is an awesome velvet cream mouthfeel. Candy-like but not too much. Lemons, red and black grapes, oranges, syrup...the list goes on. Finish comes with a sticky dry mouth and drinkability!
Something I can't control is making me drink this really fast...

Somehow I'm getting something like winter seasonal in the tropics. There's a big contrast in flavors but they meld together suprisingly well. (914 characters)

Burton Baton from Dogfish Head Brewery