Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Burton Baton - Dogfish Head Brewery

Burton BatonBurton Baton

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: Todd on 12-08-2004

This oak-aged gentle giant has been gaining popularity over the past few years and is now available year-round.

For Burton Baton, we brew two "threads," or batches, of beer: an English-style old ale and an imperial IPA.

After fementating the beers separately in our stainless tanks, they're transferred and blended together in one of our large oak tanks. Burton Baton sits on the wood for about a month.

When enjoying the Burton Baton, you'll find an awesome blend of the citrus notes from Northwestern hops melding with woody, vanilla notes from the oak. The wood also tends to mellow the 10% ABV of Burton, so tread cautiously!

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Burton Baton Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,802 | Hads: 6,233
3.23/5  rDev -22.7%

Presented in a 12oz bottle bearing no freshness date but stating it can withstand cellaring and ages well. Poured into my Stone IPA glass.
Nice clear bronze color with a modest white head and random carbonation. Nose was quite fruity with a touch of diacetyl. No real citrus or herbal aromas associated with a hearty hops presence.
Tasted very fruity and bearing a solid caramel malt backbone. Hints of oak and butter. But where, oh where, are the hops? Sweet, yes. Citrusy, no. Herbal, nope. Sorry folks, the hops profile is sorely lacking here. A bit hot in the finish thanks to the 10% ABV. The feel was medium-bodied and a bit slick.
Overall, rather disappointing. Burton Baton might even be mis-cast as a DIPA, IMO. This brew simply lacks the one essential necessary to fall into that style: hops. I'll stick with DFH's 90 Min IPA, thanks. There are many other DIPA's I'd rather spend my time and money on over this offering.

4.85/5  rDev +16%

I don't know if I could write a bad review of this beer if my life depended on it. I've been meaning to try this forever but am only now doing so. Pour is heartstoppingly beautiful scarlett orange. Tiny nappy head and little lacing. Nose is cognac, fruit, and warm caramel. This reminds me of Sierra Nevada's Bigfoot Barleywine ... on steroids. Mouth is thick and viscous. I LOVE this beer, which is easily the best DFH beer I've ever had. Do NOT drink this if you lust for a double IPA, do so if you'd like a Barleywine. It will hit the spot and make all but the greatest it's BITCH.

3.48/5  rDev -16.7%

12 Oz bottle sampled through the efforts of dirtylou and The No BS BIF.

Pours a clear dark amber colored ale with a heroic if short lived off white head.

Smell is sweet fruity and malty with more than a little scent of fig Newton’s. After a bit the scent gets to be somewhat spicy and full of citrus scents.

Taste is malty and well not much in the first sip. Not much here fairly fruity but where are the hops? Fair flavor of figs and some caramel but not really bitter at all. Disappointing.

Mouthfeel is OK.

This an OK drinkable beer but I am confused, shouldn't this have hops in it? Disappointing is the only word that fits this beer.

4.23/5  rDev +1.2%

This is a great beer, but it's also something of a niche beer. If you're uncertain how you feel about IPAs, you may want to sneak a taste of this somewhere before investing in the whole 4-pack, or start with the 60 or 90-minute IPAs. If you know you like IPAs, most of you will adore this rich brew, unless you have an aversion to lower levels of carbonation. If you drink nothing but Bud Light, your weak beer-constitution will betray you and you will enter a state of anaphylactic shock, knowing only a brief moment of awesomeness as you slip away into the nether realm.

Appearance: Burton Baton is a rich amber color, a tad darker than one expects from an India Pale Ale. IIt is remarkably clear, but my pour resulted in virtually no head whatsoever.

Smell: A characteristically hoppy scent derived from Dogfish's rather citric hop bill, sharp but not at all unpleasant.

Taste: Enjoyment is probably quite dependent on prior appreciation of the IPA style, because this is a big, bitter, floral beer. It is a fantastically balanced blend of the distinct characters of high alcohol, citrusy hops, and oak flavors; no aspect seems to outweigh another. While I'm certain this is highly hopped, it is not overwhelmingly bitter. You might detect a certain salty flavor, derived from the tear rolling down your cheek when you remember how much this cost you.

Mouthfeel: Perhaps the most notable departure from the IPA style is Burton Baton's relatively low carbonation. There's enough going on with the flavor to balance this out, but some IPA drinkers will find it curiously flat for a hoppy beer.

Drinkability: Burton Baton gets some points here for that lower level of carbonation; it is not a filling beer in that respect, and despite its powerful and complex flavors, a second bottle is not out of the question. At 10% abv, though, some drinkers might have to search for their socks before having a second tipple.

3.28/5  rDev -21.5%

Appearance: A full creamy tan sits atop a maroon clear body, little carbonation action visible.

Smell: Wood and carmel sweetness, a touch of honey.

Taste: Hops are asserive, yet slightly subdued, most likely because of the barrel aging. Woody and sweet, this beer comes off somewhat murky and disorganized, I think I like the 90 better. Alcohol lingers with more earthy sweetness, but this beer isn't what I was hoping for.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and buttery, adds to the murkiness of the beer.

Drinkability: I like many other Dogfish Head beers better than this, that is not saying it is a bad beer, just that it is not one of my favorites.

3.85/5  rDev -7.9%

From what I've read at DFH's website this is actually a blend of oak aged English Strong Ale and 90 minute IPA.

This one poured into the glass a clear rich amber color. Head was a dense biege froth, lace was thick and sticky.

A complex mix of scents greet the nose. Sweet malts, molasses, buttery, grapefruit, piney, florid hops and a mellow oak woodiness. Alcohol is well hidden.

Taste is sweet, alcohol is more overt than the smell would indicate. Hops are much less pronounced than expected, but still leave a nice hoppy dry signature.

Medium bodied, lightly carbonated. A thicker mouthfeel.

I have to say this is a damned fine brew from our friends in Delaware. I wish it was more readily available. A wee bit heavy, but would be very nice to warm my bones beside the fire.

3.77/5  rDev -9.8%

Appearance- Crystal clear copper with a rapidly departing beige head.

Nose- lovely butterscotch and sherry with a pleasing hint of some earthy funk. It made me think of country ham.

The Palate is bold with flowery hop notes, pine, grapefruit, amontillado, toffee and alcohol. Lots of in your face and up your nose alcohol. Things just don't seem to be in balance here. It has a lot of good flavors, but it's not a particularly easy beer to drink.

4.42/5  rDev +5.7%

Another fine beer from DFH . . . pours a two finger, white head that slowly fades leaving a good lace. Almost clear amber color. Light carbonation and medium bodied. Sweet malty/hoppy nose. Starts sweet a lot of malt but balanced with a lot of hops, finish has hints of molasses, high ABV is not noticeable. $3.50 for a 12oz bottle from Colonial Spirits Acton, Ma.

4.09/5  rDev -2.2%

It's amazing the brews that DFH comes up with. This one poured out to a dark bronze color with a small head of foam and uniform rings of lace. Nice. Lower level of carbonation. Aroma was heavenly; candied sugary malt and grain, with some dark fruits and yeasty notes. Wow. Taste was very complex and enjoyable; fermented grain, dark fruits, molasses, wood notes, warming alcohol, mild yet solid hops. Nice. Mouthfeel was slick and had a chewy element about itself. Drinkability is fair enough. Not an everyday brew, or even one that fits the term DIPA, but a good beer all the way around. Recommended.

4.05/5  rDev -3.1%

This beer boasts an appealing orange nearly new copper colour. The head was an edematous pinky's worth of tannish froth until it fell asunder. Lace is cast forth and a steady ring of foam lives on. The bubbles are nice to watch. The nose is super sweet. Normally this would put me off, but this sweetness is strikingly pleasant. The oak qualities come through with some vanilla brilliance. The hop factor seems to be somewhat subdued while the malt character and woody textures flourish. The taste is sweet and sugary. It remains very clean though and avoids the overdone crusty dirtiness that ruins other less fortunate beers. The oak qualities lay some accents on the flavour and truly add benefit. Slight alcoholic heat. Quite nice. I am not quite sure this reminds me of an Imperial IPA in any way however. Looking past labels I am still inclined to say this is a treat. The mouthfeel is thick and slick. It has a bit of a buttery finish as well. The drinkability is good. This beer is an example of one that prospers from barrel aging. Solid. Whatever it is.

4.03/5  rDev -3.6%

from the bottle. poured a copper amber with a very small light tan head that left a small amount of lacing. aroma malts, with brown sugar all over it a long with hops the alcohol didn’’t show up until it warmed up a bit, light fruits. flavorthe malts and sweetness comes out nicely the sweetness leans towards honey, hops, fruit semm to be almost like apricot. dry this is a good sipping beer

4.04/5  rDev -3.3%

Poured a translucent copper with almost no cap at all. I used a very vigerous pour and got very thin cap that was gone in a few seconds. Aroma was earthy-caramel malts with a floral and citrus nose. Not too strong. Flavor was obvious caramel sweet malts right off. Very nice earthy, pepper and citrus undertones with a little sourness. Alcohol became more apparant as the temperature rose. Medium carbonation with a dry warming finish. This beer hit strong. It didn't take long to feel the effects of the 10% ABV in this one. Very enjoyable to drink!

4.03/5  rDev -3.6%

12 ounce bottle. Dogfish Head Burton Baton pours out a partially cloudy amber color topped with a small head. The aroma is toffee and citrusy hops, with occasional whiffs of alcohol. Biscuity malt flavor. Sweet caramel comes in at the middle. Hops are spicy and citrusy. While this beer is quite hoppy, I wouldn't call it a hop bomb. Finishes with piney hop oil flavor. The woodyness is most noticable in the finish. Mouthfeel is thick. Although the alcohol is noticable, drinkability remains high. Great balance for an Imperial IPA.

3.15/5  rDev -24.6%

Poured from a bottle into a Chalice.

Pours a deep amber color and is non transparent. Little head and moderate amount of lacing. Smell is decent. I'm getting some fruit and alcohol, but surprisingly, not much in the hop department. The hops do finally make an appearance when tasted, but not a whole lot, especially for a beer that is classified as a DIPA. I'm getting a lot of fruit and vanilla and an alcohol warming. To me, this tastes like a ASA. But alas, I still like the flavor and don't want to ding it too hard for going outside it's advertised style. Mouthfeel is OK, though not spectacular along with drinkability.

To me, this tastes like a beer that got stuck in a zone somewhere between IPA and Belgian (if you can imagine that). It's a nice ale, but should really be categorized for what it is.

4.06/5  rDev -2.9%

Wow, did this one throw me for a loop! The aroma was rife with floral hops, even a bit citrusy. I was ready to jump into hoppy goodness! And then...whoa, not very hoppy at all; in fact, hardly anything going on there. What the hell? Then, the sweet maltiness that dominates this beer takes over...very good! In fact, excellent; its just that this isn't what I expected at all! I didn't think it seemed like 10% at all, very easy drinking and smooth.
I loved it! For a DIPA, though, very off the beaten path! Pick this one up!

3.84/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This guy pours a rusty color with no head and no lacing. No delicate lacyness on this guy- he means business. He's not wasting time with carbonation and aesthetics.

Nose is so, so hoppy. Breadyness and some earthy grassy hops come through as well.. Just deliciousness. Taste lets you down some... nowhere near as hoppy and delicious, but it's alright. Mouthfeel is lacking the suds and thin. Drinkable for a 10% beer, and I love DIPAs- but I wish the taste had lived up to the smell.

4.15/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

The beer pours a dark copper with very little head. Sweet malty aroma with hints of vanilla. My first sip is not at all what I expect, so I try again searching for the hops. This beer tastes much like an eisbock with sweet maltiness riding the strong but balanced alcohol. Hints of vailla come thru in the taste. There is just a hint of bitterness in the background of the finish of the taste, but even this fades as it warms into malty goodness. The beer was medium bodied and the alcohol strength was nicely balanced and left me feeling quite content. A very unique beer from Dogfish Head, not what I was expecting at all, but I was very pleased nonetheless.

4.07/5  rDev -2.6%

Purchased at New Beer Distributors.
Nearly creamy on the palate. Could stand to be a bit more bubbly as it's a tad bit flat, but at 10% it's something that one can anticipate.
Hops bombard the smell in a good way. Oddly enough, this isn't bitter at all, which is almost a bad thing as it's a bit too sweet. A drying bitterness would be welcome in this situation... alas... this is not the case.
For something 10% strong this is quite drinkable; very well concealed.
Still, I was hoping for something with a bit more character.
90 Minute IPA is a more satisfying brew...
That's what I have to say about that.

4.2/5  rDev +0.5%

Received via trade from warriorsoul...thanks man...

Caramel or maple syrup colored body, nice and clear with a little carbonation apparent. Just barely off-white head on top. Not much formed initially and only a ring around my glass remains.

Immediately the oak jumps from the glass and is the dominate aroma. Some biscuity malts play in with some floral and a touch of citrus hops, maybe some apricot. A little sweetness and a little woodiness...unique to say the least...

This is definately hopped like a DIPA, but has the complexities of a strong ale or a barleywine. Initially some spiciness hits my tongue and turns to bitterness midway through turning to caramel sweetness and then an earthy, malty bitterness remains. Oak is evident in the finish as well. The bitterness is accompanied by some resinous hops that don't want to go away. Alcohol is present but not a detractor. This is a super complex brew that tastes a bit different everytime it goes down.

Mouthfeel is a bit heavier than medium, I'd say. Carbonation makes it crisp. Drinkability is okay. This one is a sipper and not an easy to quaff DIPA like many others. Alcohol is definately noticable on the stomach. I'd love to have this again, just not tonight. A super-unique brew that is quite a bit different than the usual west-coast hop bombs. I like...

4.2/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a 16oz shaker at once.

Nice balsa like head reduced to a layer of fuzz with some clinging around the periphery of the glass. Immediate aroma was fruity and subtle. Not intense with hops and citrus as I expected. This is my first go at this one.

Slight metallic bite at first. Very smooth and creamy. Nice tart character. The taste of alcohol is masked well. However, the warmth of the high ABV dominates the full feel. Sweetness peaks through as it opens up with time. The blend of wood aged beer is noted. The young blend is supressed by the aged. Odd that this imperial IPA remindes me of a stout or porter with the taste of well roasted malts. I would have failed the blindfold taste test with this one. Could it be the wood?

Nice and drinkable. Definately need to grab one to cellar for another taste in the future.

3.61/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Brilliantly clear (filtered) amber with a slightly tan thick head that fills my pint glass. I can smell cloyingl sweet maltiness topped with abrasive hop bitterness. Smells exactly like I expect any DFH IPA to smell, and tastes almost exactly as I expected as well. Cloying syrupy/caramelly sweetness leads the way. A slightly less than balanced bittering makes this hard to qualify as a DIPA IMO. Oak aging is barely evident. Moderate to full body is enjoyable with the right amount of carbonation. Good beer, but not as good as I was hoping for, I think it needs more hops and oak. Since it is 10%, and not what I expected, the drinkability suffered a bit, but I would consider this beer again if I was looking for a sweet slightly hoppy ale, but I might be more likely to pick up 90min.

4.61/5  rDev +10.3%

I love getting DFH beers just for the fact that I get to use my rounded, heavy-based DFH pint glass properly! Hooray!

I also love the presentation of this particular DFH beer. All of the others have serious YAWN... HO-HUM factor for me. I think, honestly, that it's the neon yellow-green dogfish 'warning label' cap that does it for me. it's so out of place on the earth-toned bottle.

It pours a very clear, very deep oak amber-red, chock full of medium size, very lazy bubbles. The head is two fingers, slightly tan in color, fluffy, and retains well until I've drained it during a few draughts. It leaves behind sticky lacing.

For a 10% DIPA, I expect a lot more hops in the nose - now, I run into a bit of a quandary here, because of these two points: The beer smells amazing. But it doesn't smell hoppy. There are definitely huge notes of influence from the oak aging, a rich woody vanilla creaminess that tones up the medium-roasty malts - there's a big hit of honey in the nose, too, but no bitterness and, really, almost no hops to be found.

Now the taste, on the other hand, is awesome. I mean, really awesome. This is going to be a hard one to describe. Hitting the tongue, there's a really rich, mild sweetness that's kind of a medium blend of honey and caramel, but it's immediately wiped out by the middle, which is the dominating presence of the beer's taste - it's thick, slightly fluffy, with a nutty, earthy, woody flavor - really more of an all around taste sensation than any singular flavors. The finish is slightly dry, with just the tiniest bit of alcohol peeking through, and a slight rosy hop bitterness, but this really isn't what I'd call a DIPA. Not at all. If I called the shots, I'd call this an American Strong Ale.

Mouthfeel - Wow, incredibly thick. Almost 90minute thick and oily, but very easy to drink. It's spiced up with a bit more carbonation than the 90 minute, which really brings out the honey and nutty tones. It really fills the mouth, tightening a taste bud here or there with some alcohol. Swallowing is half-dry, half-lingering stickiness, and the alcohol warms alll the way down.

Okay - this is 10%. Yes, I've mentioned alcohol several times in this review. However, I will go on record as saying this is one of the easiest to drink strong ales I've had in recent memory. Case in point: Double Bastard. Also 10%. That brew is positively evil. It's evil (delicious evil) in a bottle. I had to drink that Bastard very, very slow. This, on the other hand, is a drinker. This is a pussycat all the way down into your belly, where it turns into a monster. I could easily drink a 4-pack of this at a go.

4.32/5  rDev +3.3%

Now that's a seriously balanced IPA! Every ripe fruit imaginable is apparent from the aroma, taste, texture, and finish.

Burton Baton begins with a hazy deep copper color, a dense eggshell white head that blankets the top of the glass, leaving a ton of lacing behind. This is one good looking beer.

Everything from apples to oranges, pineapples to mangos, peaches and pears comes through the estery mix in aroma. Wood aging gave a complex nut and earthy character along with a little intriguing vinous note. Hops give a big grapefruit, orange zest, and pine flavor with bitterness that compliments the wood aging nicely. With so much flavor, the delicate bread and yeast flavors are still appreciated.

Very well blended and melded into a smooth, rich brew that's nowhere near thick or cloying. Strong and sweet, smooth and succulent. The 10% is nowhere to be found. Very good beer.

Thanks Clvand0.

4.1/5  rDev -1.9%

12 oz bottle. 10% abv. Says on the bottle it ages with the best of 'em.

Pure amber color. Very modest off-white head that I must say, tastes delicious.. Aroma is citrus hops and a buttery, roasted malt lying in the background. One thing's fairly clear..there's plenty of malt to help balance this huge beer out. Unique & interesting.. this maintains some trademark IPA qualities, but with a roasted oak & molasses kicker.
Another great brew by the always evolving Dogfish Head.

4.05/5  rDev -3.1%

The beer pours an amber color with a thick frothy offwhite head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is good. It has a nice, warm malty scent that boasts of pale and carapils malts along with an intensely bitter hop aroma. There is a slight oakey aroma that adds balance to this powerful brew. The taste is good as well. It has a smooth malty flavor that goes down slow and warm and finishes bitter and a bit sweet. It has a rich malt flavor as well as their traditional continually hopped taste. It's unique from anything I've ever tried. The oak aging provides a buffer from the high alcohol and adds a nice balance to the taste. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a tastey beer, but not the best Dogfish Head offers. I like the concept, but the 120 IPA is better. Still, this is a good drinking beer, at a slow pace.

Burton Baton from Dogfish Head Brewery