Burton Baton - Dogfish Head Brewery

Burton BatonBurton Baton

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: Todd on 12-08-2004

This oak-aged gentle giant has been gaining popularity over the past few years and is now available year-round.

For Burton Baton, we brew two "threads," or batches, of beer: an English-style old ale and an imperial IPA.

After fementating the beers separately in our stainless tanks, they're transferred and blended together in one of our large oak tanks. Burton Baton sits on the wood for about a month.

When enjoying the Burton Baton, you'll find an awesome blend of the citrus notes from Northwestern hops melding with woody, vanilla notes from the oak. The wood also tends to mellow the 10% ABV of Burton, so tread cautiously!

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Burton Baton Alström Bros
4.22/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into La Fin du Monde tulip. Purchased from Woodman's in Madison Wisconsin for $13.99 a four pack. Bottled on 11/22/2010.

Appearance: Rich amber/copper color with a two finger white head. Great lacing remains as head fades slowly.

Nose: Pine, hop, quite boozie. Hint of nice spice on the back, almost sweet spice. Oak.

Taste: Oak is present, support by a strong malt character, and of course hops. Orange zest right through. I like DFH style IPA, and this one is classic. The malt and hop work together very well. I dont get any vanilla, or bourbon in this, and I think that is on purpose. It says aged in oak, not aged in ex-bourbon barrels.

Mouth: Good amount of carbonation. Once again, a lively sticky-sweet DIPA. The oak gives it a nice crispness that snaps the back of your tongue to attention.

Drink and overall: Overall, very drinkable, and enjoyable. I love 90 MIN, and I love oak barrels, so why not put the two together. Great idea. It's a bit pricey, I'm going to say it. But I dont get it everyday, nor can I find it every day so I have a few bottles left that I will enjoy over time.

3.75/5  rDev -11.6%

Serving Type - Bottle

Appearance - Burnt brown, tan with a thick creamy 1/2 head and tons of lacing.

Smell - Hops, oak whiskey, spices, malts, sugars, floral yeast and yes, booze.

Taste - Very malty first drink, with a burn from the booze. Hops arent as strong as i figured and hoped for. The oak flavor is nice and but with the hops and malts give it a little odd soapy flavor
and makes for a different kind of ipa.

Mouthfeel - Its strong but not as flavor wild as other dfh beers. Palette is numbed from alcohol and hops but not that bad for a 10% beer.

Drinkabilty - Its 10% and still has that trademark burnt hop flavor from dfh. The price is pretty steep also. This is basically 90 minute ipa with a twist. Dfh still to worried about making off the wall brews, but this one is acutally pretty good for something different. I wouldnt want more then 1. Worth a try even if you dont like 90 minute ipa.

4.05/5  rDev -4.5%

Pored from 12 ounce bottle into snifter.

I get a midtone, hazy orangey, raw umber pour with nice carbonation. There is a nice two finger head and a lacing that's left behind throughout. This was bottled last november, so it is nice and fresh.

I sniff and get scents of, hops, pine, citrus and booze.

The first taste thing I notice is a full bodied hoppy mouthfeel, that starts with an oakey...piney...spiceiness, that is warming and deep, and slightly bitter, then balanced with some sweet smokeiness, i guess its more the oak, but definatly awesome. It has a nice bitter aftertaste and nice alcoholiness.

Definatly drinkable for anyone who likes hoppy and complex IPA's. I quite enjoy this, at 10% you wouldn't want to slam...bit a couple will make you feel warm and fuzzy inside!

4.39/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

The 12 fl. oz bottle was stamped "Bottled On 11/22/10F." Sampled on March 6, 2011. It pours a clearer than expected amber-copper with maybe a quarter inch head that sticks around. I like my IPA's to be cloudier. The aroma is nicely hopped but in no way overpowering. They are just about right as far as I am concerned. There is also a nice earthiness going on. The body is fairly heavy but at the same time creamy. The caramel maltiness is evident with a bitter burst of hops all around and maybe a tad yeasty. Complex but solid and easy to drink.

4.1/5  rDev -3.3%

passed this beer by several times and finally decided to spring for it ($15.95 a four-pack - kinda steep).
Solid all around, I will not get into all the technical tasting notes (plenty of that herein). The one comment I have is regarding value: I do not believe the drinking experience of this beer measures up to the price. I am familiar with DFH's line and I thoroughly enjoy most of them and am willing to fork out the typical $10 a four-pack at my local mart. But for $16 I was expecting more. I will stick to their 90-minute - solid and always good.

3.95/5  rDev -6.8%

Reviewed on 3/6/2011

appearance: golden orange with a 1 finger off white head

smell: malts, hops, vanilla

taste: hops, malts, very complex

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, sweet, medium body

drinkbility: one of my all time favorites from dogfish head.

Cheers,

the CPJ

4.2/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

APPEARANCE: Standard for a DIPA the Burton Baton poured a deep, slightly opaque copper. A small head with very little head retention rested on top before quickly dissipating.

SMELL: Malt, vanilla and some sweeter citrus dominate the aroma, but hint of oak and hops are also present.

TASTE: A very strongly malty beer masks the strong hop flavor that does a lot to make this a delicious beer, but which also may get overlooked by some. Citrus and pine are also present.

MOUTHFEEL: Creamy, oily and smooth yet still sparkling and well carbonated with a slightly dry aftertaste.

OVERALL: This is an absurdly drinkable DIPA, but the drawback is that it may only be drinkable for one. Like a rich dessert, this goes down easy, but seems very filling at the same time. Maybe I should try having two in a single session next time I find a 4-pack before I knock the notion, but I just can't see myself having too many of these at a time...oh yeah, maybe that's partially due to the whole 10% ABV thing.

4.38/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into my Russian River tulip.

Caramel, clear in appearance. Decent head that dissipated fairly quickly. My nose was off(cold) but the taste still came through.

Oaky, a little bread, malt. Maybe less hoppy than expected.

Overall very, very good.

4.27/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured from a bottle at 56 degrees into a shifter. 2010 bottling.

Nice amber honey color with sticky head.

Smells of wood and floral hops with some graininess. Smells wonderful.

Taste definitely like 90 minute but the oak aged portion shines through. Good hop bitterness but not overpowering enough to drown out the oaky goodness. Booze follows up on the back end and warms the breath.

Overall a very nice beer. I have another bottle committed to age for a little longer.

4.33/5  rDev +2.1%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a Sierra Nevada imperial pint.

Pours an good looking hazy amber with two and a half inches of generous, fluffy head. Lacing is great. The smell is great, hops, fruits, and oak are the stars of the show. It also tastes good... it's unfortunately not as fresh as I'd like so I'm not sure if I'm getting the full hop force this is supposed to have. It hits first with fairly strong fruit flavors, then some citrus character comes along with both the oak and hops, which seem to come in directly in tandem to create quite a tantalizing aftertaste. There's a touch of alcohol apparent here as well.

The mouthfeel is pretty good, it's pretty thick and decently carbonated. The drinkability is also good for a 10% brew, the alcohol isn't too obvious and the taste is delicious. A pretty good DIPA from Dogfish Head, I really think I prefer their single IPA to any of their DIPAs though.

EDIT: Re-review 5/16/11. After tasting this beer fresher, the taste, appearance, and overall ratings are moved from a 4 to a 4.5. No matter if the label claims that this is an ageable beer, this is surely better fresh in every capacity. The hops balance much better with the oak flavors, creating a tantalizing and delicious brew.

4.2/5  rDev -0.9%

Poured a 12oz. bottle into my New Belgium Globe.

This beer poured a nice dark orange color with a big, white fluffy head. There was tremendous lacing as I drank it.

The aroma was a mix between fresh fruit and smoky wood. At first smell there were some grapefruit, orange notes with a definite hop presence. As I drank it I could begin to pick out the smoked wood notes.

At first sip I noticed the strong malt backbone. I quickly forgot about the malt when I was punched in the mouth with fresh grapefruit, hops and other citrus notes.

I absolutely love this beer. I cannot wait to see how it changes over time.

4.34/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Boy do I love this beer! 12oz bottle poured into a standard pint glass. Pours a nice burnt orange with a nice white fluffy head and and very sticky lacing. Lots of hops and matls up front. Lots of citrus and pine as well. This one is definitely on the maltier side, but remains somewhat fruity. The oak is pretty noticeable in the taste, giving it a nice woodiness. Alcohol is slightly noticeable, but not overwhelming at all. The flavors are reminiscent of 90 Minute, but it definitely stands on its' own. Mouthfeel is great.. thick, rich, smooth, creamy, and sticky; finishes slightly warm; full-bodied. Drinkability is exceptional! It's dangerously drinkable! Be careful because the flavors are so good, you wont want to stop until you're in trouble.

Dogfish Head has a bunch of beers I'm in love with, and this one might be my favorite. I'm always excited when it's released. It's definitely one of my favorite DIPAs. Highly recommended!

4.22/5  rDev -0.5%

Had this on tap at Pizza Plant in Williamsville. Pours a pale orange colour with thin white head. Nice head retention and some lacing down the glass. Smells of citrus hops, oak and vanilla. The vanilla is quite apparent. Nice bitterness in the flavour, not as sweet as the 90 Minute, which is nice. Vanilla and oak linger in the after-taste with the hops. Certainly a sipper, but this was quite enjoyable.

3.99/5  rDev -5.9%

Rich pale orange color with a nice head that left some good lacing. Good looking beer.

Aroma is surprisingly subdued. Little bit of herbal aroma, slight bit of alcohol. Don't really get any oak or malt from the aroma. This is a fairly recent bottle to be so mellow. Not what I was expecting at all.

Flavor was much better. Rich malts, some alcohol, decent smack of bitterness, and a dry oaky finish at the end. Good balance, though not really what I would describe as an IPA -- just not enough hop presence. More like a big rich, oaky barleywine. Nice beer though -- no reason to be too constrained by what style it really is.

Mouthfeel was rich and luxurious but a bit lively due to good carbonation. Nice beer that was pretty easy going down.

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

Appearance - Hazy dark gold with a ½ ring of foam that lasts throughout

Aroma - Caramel, citrus, malt, with the slightest oak aroma

Taste - Amazing balance of light citrus hops with a bitterness lighter than anticipated, caramel and malt flavors fade into alcohol while citrus lingers

Mouthfeel - Medium to light body, fading into a crisp dry finish

Drinkability - Here is a brew that, while quite drinkable, keeps you happily aware of it's 10% abv.

Overall - Easily make it into my top 5 for two lists: Imperial IPAs AND Oaked beers. I could drink these all night, wake up from the coma happy and rested several days later, rinse, repeat, and encourage others to join in.

3.4/5  rDev -19.8%

Bottle at beerbistro.

Pours and orange-caramel with minimal head and sheets of lace.

The aroma is caramel and mild citrus with hints of raisin and must.

The taste is raisin-fruity with a slightly chocolaty, brown sugar, mildly vanilla sweet yet resiny finish. Bitterness is mild. Has good malt complexity and light bitterness, but it's light body let's it down a little and washes them away too quickly. Has a nice bit of spiciness about it from the oak. Not as hoppy as the 90 minute but still some nice citrus notes. I'm inclined to think the oak aging did more harm than good here. But then I have yet to meet an oak aged anything I like outside from Great Divide Yeti. Guess it's not my thing.

Overall a decent beer and one I'd be inclined to pick up again. But it doesn't really fit the bill for a DIPA. Almost more of a barleywine in some ways. But then I guess style guidelines are meaningless when it comes to Dogfish Head.

4.08/5  rDev -3.8%

Pours a golden amber color with a nice white head that has good retention and lacing.

Aroma is hops, caramel and little vanilla. Pleasant but not very strong.

Taste is wonderful: starts just like an ipa with sweet and citrus hops and then comes an avalanche of sweet vanilla nad oaky notes as well as some dark chocolate and coffe to round it up.

Body is medium to heavy with high carbonation. Ends very well without much bitterness and perfect balance between hops and oak/vanilla sweetness.

Overall an amazing take on the American ipa with nice wood and vanilla notes coming through.

4.25/5  rDev +0.2%

Bottled 11/22/10 F

A: Pours a cloudy copper-orange, with very little head

S: A nice bit of malt and hops, with a nice oaky scent that gives way to some vanilla and floral notes

T: A nice mix of malt and floral hops with vanilla, oak, and citrus in the background. A nice bitterness doesn't show up until the end. Alcohol is well hidden

M: Medium body with low carbonation

D: If I didn't know this was 10%, I would be putting a whole 4-pack down within 20-30 mins... but since it is 10%, I don't think that idea is very wise (or smart for that matter)

4.1/5  rDev -3.3%

12-oz. bottle poured into a balloon snifter. From a 4-pack I found for $11.99 at a local shop. Bottled 11/22/10. Cool Woody Guthrie (I'm assuming) homage on the fine paper label. Not the first time I've sampled this delicacy but about time I got around to reviewing it.

A good pour will give you a nice beige fluffy head with lacing that sticks around. The nose on this is fantastic: vanilla, oak, bourbon, a slight hint of coconut and molasses. Hops are muted in the nose, but I'm cool with that - it is oak-aged after all.

Taste is divine, like kissing your beautiful wife right after she took a sip of Burton Baton. Uncanny. The hops are noticeable in this bottle, but they are subtle and balance so well in a menage a trois with oak, vanilla, and bourbon notes. Wait, that's four. Whatever.

The mouthfeel of this beer is great. No aftertaste, no dank faded hops junk. Just smooth and inviting, like silk sheets in a brothel.

Highly recommended. Ya dig?

4.38/5  rDev +3.3%

bottled 10/14/10
served in a "Darkness" snifter slightly below "cellar" temp

Appearance: Beautiful! Awesome golden amber body, with a huge off-white head which just gets comfortable and sticks around. Incredible lacing as well. Aesthetically, I am blown away right now...

Smell: Obviously there's a pretty hefty hop profile on the nose, as well as some malty sweetness. There are some definite woody notes on the nose, almost a faint vanilla-like sweetness.

Taste: Great amount of bitterness paired with some earthy/woody malt sweetness and body. there is the slightest medicinal character in the hops, which may just be some spiciness mixing with the wood flavor; I really like it. Where other DIPA's may use very citrusy hops, this seems to have more of an herbal and again earthy taste to it.

Mouthfeel: There's some slight alcohol burn, and the beer itself is bordering on being viscous (ok, it's actually pretty thick haha). There's no flavor that seems out of whack though; definitely nothing there to make me feel uncomfortable or ill at ease.

Drinkability: For a nice change of pace, this is the DIPA to turn to. Granted we don't get DFH here in New Mexico, and i'll be forced to ration the remaining three bottles, i think this is a really great offering from Dogfish Head. Where other of their offerings seem to be hit and miss, I'd say that this is a definite hit, and a drinkable one at that!

4.23/5  rDev -0.2%

Bottled on 11 20 2010 poured into a snifter on 2 14 2011

Appearance- beautiful library Orange and amber hues with a hefty two finger white head

Aroma- lots of smell in there: Orange citrus, touch of caramel, ripe grapefruit, pepper, wood and smoke

Taste- starts with a sweet bread and biscuit like sweetness, mixed with a touch of caramel and chocolate dusted oranges. You can tell the hoppy goodness is lurking underneath, waiting. Towards the middle the hops punch through, loads of ripe grapefruit, floral and earthy tea, blood oranges. The oaky and smoky notes kick in and help to bring everything together and add tons of depth. Malty sweetness comes back around for a parting farewell but the hops and oak have the last word. Rides off on a silky creamy wave off oak and hops.

D- fantastic, this brew has tons of depth. Probably too malty for most DIPA lovers who want hops hops and nothing but the hops, but I love the balancing act.

3.71/5  rDev -12.5%

Bought a four-pack of Burton Baton at the end of Summer and decided to age a few bottles to see how things change on this IIPA. A 2010 bottle drank on February 12th, 2011.

Poured aggressively into a brandy snifter and, lo and behold, a beautiful looking beer. It pours a sort of rich copper orange with hints of honey and ruby. A fluffy eggshell white head graces the top but settles quickly enough leaving behind a viscous lacing. Dogfish Head definitely can make a beer into a work of art. Appearance alone, this is a thing of true beauty. Malt heavy in the nose followed by floral hops. The malt centric aroma is what I've come to expect even from the hoppiest DFH offerings. In the nose there is also a delicious kind of hop candy that focuses on citrus hops. As the beer warms, a bit of cooked vegetables come through... A first in a DFH beer for me. Definitely strange... Cooked cabbage... DMS?

Immediately sweet and doughy on first taste. Not cloying. Hop candy is echoed in the taste but comes out a bit on the medicinal side with an aspirin-like feel on my tongue. Bitterness plays in with this. Sweet and syrupy overall.

This is not how I remembered Burton Baton but, again, I was trying to age a few bottles to see how it fared. When fresh, malts tend to be bordering barleywine territory with tons of hops on top. The hops have definitely mellowed out but the malts still haven't quite found their place like in an aged barleywine. Time will tell but with about 6 months on this batch, it's not faring the way I expected at all. Decent but nothing great.

4.62/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served in a standard pint glass.

A - Clear copper coloration with a nice 3 finger head, excellent retention, and nicely layered lacing.

S - Nice hoppy aroma, with some citrus notes and just a hint of vanilla.

T - Rich, almost too sweet initially, but it vanishes and is replaced with a nice bitter body and a great dry finish. Alcohol is apparent, however it really works here, with the oak rounding it out.

M - Medium body, oily feel, nice mild carbonation.

D - Outstanding beer. Love the idea, and the execution is almost perfect. Definitely worth trying, even if for the experience.

4.02/5  rDev -5.2%

had at St. James Infirmary Reno
pours dark golden brown with a bit of head and not much lacing.

This beer smells incredible, full of rich, thick vanilla bourbon whiskey goodness, so rich, and mixed with a nice bouquet of floral hops and a bit of booze but not too much.

tastes really good for the style, but its quite sweet, wow this thing packs a wollup, but the oak makes up for it...nice overall

mouthfeel is a bit sticky but solid.

Drinkability is a bit lost, hard to drink a bottle of this.

Overall, solid oaked ipa, not the best but damn damn tasty

4.92/5  rDev +16%

DFH Burton Baton

A- 4.5 cloudy and amber with light tan head
S- 5.0 hoppy with lemon and oak coming through
T- 5.0 reminds me of the 90 good hop flavor and slight acidity, everything working well together. Then you get this great oak finish that lingers wonderfully
M- 4.5 nice and crisp with pretty strong carbonation given the abv
D- 5.0 high abv at 10% but I barely notice it in the taste, just a great beer

DFH 90 min was my favorite beer before this one. Burton Baton just adds more to a great thing, adding a new dimension of flavor with the great oak finish. Go out and buy this beer and enjoy it. The only problem with this beer is the price, almost $20 for a pack of four, about double the price of the 90 min. Is it great? Yes. Is it an extra $10 great? Unfortunately no. I will continue to enjoy DFH 90min and Stone IPA as my go to beers, but I will have a special place in my heart for this great brew.

Enjoy!