Burton Baton - Dogfish Head Brewery

Burton BatonBurton Baton

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

This oak-aged gentle giant has been gaining popularity over the past few years and is now available year-round.

For Burton Baton, we brew two "threads," or batches, of beer: an English-style old ale and an imperial IPA.

After fementating the beers separately in our stainless tanks, they're transferred and blended together in one of our large oak tanks. Burton Baton sits on the wood for about a month.

When enjoying the Burton Baton, you'll find an awesome blend of the citrus notes from Northwestern hops melding with woody, vanilla notes from the oak. The wood also tends to mellow the 10% ABV of Burton, so tread cautiously!

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-08-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Burton Baton Alström Bros
3.53/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Beautiful dark orange glow, not much of a head.

Caramel smell, hops, oak, some heat from the abv.

The taste is thin, I was hoping for more from this beer. It was hoppy, it had some woody characteristics from it, but too thin for the alcohol content. Gets overwhelmed.

Murchmac, May 30, 2010
4.1/5  rDev -3.3%

Light amber color with a one finger off white head with good retention. Smells of grapefruit, oranges, wood, and malt. The taste is sweet, with oranges, sweet malt, grapefruit, wood, and sugar. this is much sweeter than I would have guessed, but I like it.

Full bodied, nice carbonation, smooth, and easy to drink. The alcohol is well hidden. This is a really nice beer, that I could drink several bottles of.

hardy008, May 29, 2010
3.63/5  rDev -14.4%

Picked up a loose 12oz bottle from Whole Foods in San Francisco, CA. Poured into a snifter to review.

Quarter inch of off white, tightly-knit head. Darker orange in color. Good lacing.

Balanced hoppy nose. Dank, floral hops with a nice malty backbone.

Quite balanced and rich with some slight booziness letting you know this one is high ABV. Picked up some nice oak quality from the aging, but this was at the expense of a mellowed hop profile. I wouldn't recommend aging this one, even though it states on the bottle it would age well. Aging will push this one even closer to the hoppy barleywine category in my opinion.

Nice relatively thick mouthfeel. Medium to full body and just the right amount of carbonation.

I prefer this to the 90-minute, but both are at the top of the east coast DIPA category.

ibbjamin, May 29, 2010
4.05/5  rDev -4.5%

12 oz bottle poured into a Delirium Tremens tulip. 10% ABV, Bottled on 03/01/10.

A - I poured this tall to the bottom of the little glass. It resulted in a dense cream head of about two fingers. Moderate to low retention with thin but sticky lace left on the glass added a bit of pizzaz. The beer itself is a well-carbonated, lightly hazy, apricot orange.

S - While I'm not immediately turned off by the nose of this beer, the initial aroma I pick up is of grassy, mulch-like hops. Usually they're rather unappealing to me but so far they're ok in this DFH beer. Mango and star fruit in the background add to the depth of this nose. Lots of heavy malting going on brings notes of toasted bread, biscuit, and caramel chunk. A tiny pinch of alcohol escapes on the finish with an estery/ light solvent sensation. Earthy nose but no wood comes out in this one.

T - The lightly solvent, estery alcohol picks up a bit in the flavor with a warming sensation. The grassy, mulch-like hops are instantly off-putting to me, maybe one of the only reoccurring things in a good beer I don't have the taste for. Slivers of wood poke though but it's on the minimal side. A bit of juicy mango and a general exotic fruitiness adds some fun flair.

M - Smooth and medium-bodied, Burton Baton has a warm and inviting solvent alcohol finish that's mildly carbonated. The flavor blends well and finishes with a very light bitterness but an overarching sweetness.

D - Burton Baton is probably one of the most drinkable IPAs I've had. I'm sure, even without a big wood flavor, that barrel-aging this definitely helped it. It's smooth and sweet but well-balanced and warm. The alcohol definitely kicks in within half the glass but it never becomes overwhelming.

BeerFMAndy, May 28, 2010
4.22/5  rDev -0.5%

Bottled 03/01/10

Pours a copper/amber body with some red highlights. 1 finger of white head. Leaves some nice lacing on the glass.

I am getting some aromas of alcohol, pine, resin, and grapefruit.

Upon first taste I get a bit of sweetness from the malt. It tastes a bit like grain and possibly biscuits. Then a nice blast of hops. Flavors include pine, resin, vanilla and grapefruit. I think I might be getting a taste of oak in the midpalate. In the finish, I get a dry, bitter, spicy, and hoppy aftertaste. I think this beer has really nice balance between the sweet malt and the spicy, bitter hops

Nice amount of carbonation. A bit prickly but seems appropriate for the style.

Drinkablity is really good on this one. As the beer warms, the alcohol becomes a bit more present but I cannot tell it is 10%. I do have to knock some points off however, because the 12 ounce bottle cost $6.

Dubber55, May 28, 2010
4.58/5  rDev +8%

On tap at the Black Sparrow.

This is based on the Ballantine Burton, right? So I should be expecting a really strong east coast IPA with a comparatively small dose of hops.

Pours bronze in the bar's low light. Nice head. A very thick-looking beer, actually, which is odd because it's translucent and usually I associate thickness with haze.

Smells of DFH yeast, dark fruit, and some of the smoothest, thickest cereal malt I've ever come across. It's like smellning a bowl of grapenuts and plums while sitting in a hayfield.

Tastes like big, smooth cereal--the nicest, firmest dose of pale malt I've ever come across in a double IPA. Not syrupy in the slightest, nor off in any way. It's just extra biscuity, accentuated well by chewy yeast and balanced just slightly at the end by some spicy English hops.

mynie, May 27, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

Poured at home from a 12 oz bottle in May 2010.

Pours a deep copper amber color. Nice white head with moderate lacing.

Big aromas of everything - the heat of the alcohol, the oak, the big hops and a lot of sweetness from the malt as well as the vanilla (oak).

Very flavorful - big hop character balanced nicely by the vanilla from the oak. The alcohol is definitely masked by the bold flavors and the oak aging.

Very thick, chewy, creamy mouthfeel. Moderate carbonation. Super long finish.

Dangerous drinkability. Alcohol and overall heaviness will creep up on you but it would be easy to put a few back if you like the bold but balances style.

Great strong beer.

bceagles39, May 24, 2010
3.98/5  rDev -6.1%

Pours a darkish golden orange colour, with a filmy head of loose bubbles. Some lacing but not a lot. Some streaming carbonation from the centre of the glass. Looks heavy, but otherwise, a little lacklustre.

Lightly resinous on the nose, with a hint of fresh fragrance like rosewater or jasmine. Bit of booze and a light biscuit malt character. It's all a little subdued, but with some pleasant aromas.

Taste is similar, but with the addition of a drying oak character on the back that adds some resonance to the lilting hop fragrance and biscuity malt. Alcohol is well hidden, and I really do like the oak character, which is not overwhelming, but just adds finesse to the palate.

It's not a stunning beer, and given DFH brew some pretty extreme beers I was expecting something more overwhelming from an oak-aged IIPA. But it's surprisingly balanced and surprisingly drinkable - something certainly worth taking a look at.

lacqueredmouse, May 23, 2010
4.58/5  rDev +8%

This one is a little over a year old--the bottle date was 3.30.09.

Sample size is a 12 ounce bottle sampled from a Piraat glass and at cellar temperature.

Pours a nice reddish-copper color. Small, but steady white head floating on top.

There are some awesome aromas coming off of this beer. Hints of vanilla, wood, cherries, citrus, pepper, and a little clove. The aroma is powerful, with a bit of alcohol in there. It's got a really spicy nose to it, herbal.

The taste is excellent. Hints of vanilla, cherry, wet oak, berry, pepper, orange, and white grapes. The flavor is potent, and the alcohol leaves a slight burn in the back of the throat.

At a little over a year of age, this one is still tasting wonderful. I'm not sure I would go over a year on this one, and even waiting past a few months may be too much. This is a finely crafted IPA, and would benefit from being young. But, that being said, at a year, it's still pretty darn tasty.

movingtrain, May 22, 2010
3.6/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Very malty brew. Nice color and head. Pretty drinkable although it did not hide the alc taste well.

Nice lacing and head.

A bittersweet malt taste.

Overall not my style but I definitely enjoyed it for what it is.

Definitely try this if you like big malty sweet beers. Not much of a hop presence at all.

biggietattoos, May 19, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +2.6%

Another beer I like during the "Hops for Hope" charity event sampler
A - Pours a golden Amber with a nice head lace.
S - Mostly hops and slight malt. Really hard to pick up from sampler.
T - Very sweet yet bitter hoppy flavor. Stood out mostly for it's balanced wood flavor without being too boozy from most dogfish head offerings that night.
M - Very heavy yet smooth to drink. Liked it.
D - Well I couldn't find a 12oz bottle there but a bigger bottle was available for 12 dollars and to me seemed too high to pay for a DIAP. Bought a ST Iniquity for 9 bucks instead.

DrDemento456, May 19, 2010
3.68/5  rDev -13.2%

Poured into a Cantillon tumbler, which somehow magically makes everything better. A rich amber body is topped by a finger of creamy head that drops to a film, but leaves some nice streaks of lace behind. The aroma has strong resin notes, which give way to citrus and spice, though all of it is coated by a faint musty character that I'm putting down to the wood. Underneath, an evident caramel body provides a sweet note.

There's no doubting the character of the 90 minute is still vibrant in this beer, but the blend with an aged IPA has dulled the hops slightly, leading to a larger malt presence. Decent grapefruit and pine provide a moderate bite, but it's the spiciness and faint woodiness that provide the soul of the brew. Brown sugar and dark fruit combine with alcohol to round things off. Its complex, but it also feels a little muddled, like it doesn't really know what direction to go in. Rich mouthfeel with a well-judged carbonation keeps things interesting.

An interesting offering from Dogfish and not quite what I expected from the style (though bring preset expectations to a Dogfish beer is a bit of a ridiculous proposition anyway). The malt body was really quite big, and the wood wasn't nearly as pronounced as I would have liked. Dogfish Head intrigue me, but they're yet to blow me away.

bobsy, May 18, 2010
4.1/5  rDev -3.3%

Been wanting to try this for a while (I don't know why, considering 60, 90, and 120 aren't really my favorite IPAs), but had been deterred by the $15 price tag for a 4-pack. Grabbed this as a single for $3.25.

Pours a nice amber gold color with a bit of tan head that leaves some nice lacing. Just the color I like on a full-bodied DIPA. Aroma is similar to 90 minute, though not nearly as sweet. It has the same solvent-y character that I've found in all of the DFH high-ABV brews, but I'm starting to come around to it. Some sweet malt, big hop presence on this one. Bottled 3/1/10, so the hops have some staying power past the first month or so. Sweet citrus and pine hops, nice.

Taste is pretty good, sweetness that's reminiscent of the 90 min., but not so cloying. Hops balance nicely with the aggressively sweet malt. Oak comes into play, but is not overpowering. A well crafted DIPA, my favorite so far of the DFH IPA line-up.

Medium to full-bodied. Maybe could use a hair more carbonation to go with it. Coating in the mouth, not as dry of a finish as some others I've had.

Overall, an interesting drink, one I was glad I had. Tasty and not overly sweet like the other DFH IPAs. Worth a shot!

LordAdmNelson, May 18, 2010
3.33/5  rDev -21.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Purchased for $4.29 for the 12oz bottle.

It pours a bright and clear golden colour with an inch of foam. Not much foam but it leaves some good lacing especialy for as strong a brew as this is.

The smell is malty yet hoppy at the same time. That spells out to good balance. A bit, ok, more than a bit of alcohol also shines through.

The taste has its bitter moments...mostly pine and citrus. It has its malty moments....sweetness from caramel, some grain, more grain, a sweet honey like flavour, lots of alcohol. Plenty of woody notes that kick it up a notch and in a favourable way. Wow. I'm finding it hard to put a handle on this brew. So many good notes and yet I find it a very difficult brew to deal with and to sip on. Typical of Dogfish Head..beers brewed to the extreme and this one fits that dicription to a tee.

Medium bodied and medium carbonation though it feels syrupy at times.

Drinkability? 1 bottle at a time is more than all I can handle. Very tasty but there's just too much going on for me to get comfortable with.
I'd say, definitely make it the last brew you try on any given day. It will wrap its "hands" around you and choke the hell out of you.

Bitterbill, May 16, 2010
3.93/5  rDev -7.3%

12 oz Bottle from Khans Fine Wines and Spirits. Fresh batch.

A: Great golden carmel like color. Poured with about a finger and a half of head. There is still a lot of effervescence coming up out of here. Looks tasty!

S: I"m getting a little bit of citrus but honestly I'm not able to pick up much today. I don't know what my problem is. If I try really hard I can pick up some alcohol notes.

T: At first I was reminded very much of a 90 minute. Same type of sweetness and bittering hops. I was starting to get a little disappointing when the fullness of the beer hit me. I also realize that the small cold/allergies I've been battling have ruined tasting this for me. Good thing I have 3 more for a later date. The high alcohol content leaves you with a very warm feeling although at the same time you can't really tell that this is 10%. The taste is very good so we want to keep having more and before you know it you've finished half a pint. I'll admit that oak aged stuff is something I'm fairly new to so it will probably take me a while to attune to the subtle hints but I can definitely taste the difference in this and their 90/120 minute. If you can pick up a bottle of this I would definitely recommend it. As usual with Dogfish head I just wish the hops were a little more profound. It always tastes sort of sweet (alcohol) with some malt to me when I feel it should be more bitter or citrusy.

M: I'm drinking this a bit cold so it's hard to judge a true mouthfeel but the bitterness you expect is there and also what I like to call the "brown tinge" which is a feeling I have on the back portion of my tongue where the fat part is pressing up against the back of the roof of your mouth. I associate it to malts and alcohol but perhaps it's the bitterness that does it. Perhaps I need another beer to figure it out :)

D: Very dangerous beer. This one makes you feel so good you could throw back a few before you realize what's going on. Drinkability is very high but be careful!

BrewIndy, May 16, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +2.6%

Poured into a plastic pint cup.

A: Cloudy and red-brown. Small head, nice retention.

S: Smells similar to other imperial IPAs, but less aggressive, less floral, less citrus. Heavier on the alcohol than other imperial IPAs I've had.

T: It's very balanced for the style. Not crazy hoppy, not crazy sweet. Aftertaste very delicious with a bitter tanginess not comparable to anything but you guessed it GOOD BEER. And as a hobby carpenter I have to give it extra points because I belched up sawdust!

M: Smooth and quenchable.

D: Not advisable to have more than one on an empty stomach.

JoshRadTxist, May 16, 2010
3.88/5  rDev -8.5%

12oz into pint glass bottled 3/01/2010

A- Clear copper hue, red looking in some light. Thin white head.

S- Strawberries and grapefruit

T- Oak definately, sugar, grapefruit, slight pine and faint strawberries.

M- Silky, creamy, decent carbonation, sticky on the lips.

D- This is a pretty balanced beer. Does not taste like 10% at all. Almost like a barleywine IPA hybrid. Would be good to share or have alone after dinner.

I wish I had a fresher bottle to review. I found that the hops were there but not as up front as the 90 minutes I've had before.

korguy123, May 14, 2010
4.4/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A: poured a darker amber with a finger width of head. Thick, cream colored lacing.

S: Big hop bill with spicy, musty hops. Not too boozy.

T: Subtle oak, as expected. Doesn't taste like a 10 ABV beer. Bourbon wars the stomach a bit, slight bitter aftertaste.

M: Thick and bit chewy but still smooth without a lingering film. Not too sharply carbonated.

D: A bottle is good to share between 2, but three people is spreading it a little thin.

traviserickson, May 12, 2010
4.15/5  rDev -2.1%

First time I've seen this across the river in Wisconsin, so picked up a single. DFH has been hit or miss for me, but the hits have been line drives, so always willing to try another.

Pours a true copper color. Smell is promising. Oak, grapefruit, & bit of almost char coming off the glass?

Burton Baton is one bad onion. Sweet, port-like quality jumps out to the fore, but hard behind it is the oak staves lending it a drying, 2x4 quality. Underneath is a chaotic, flagstone-tearing-up mess of a beer (did DFH trademark that?). Offsetting the dry oak is a remarkable grapefruit sweetness, if the g-fruit was sprinkled with sugar. Bittering hops, with a chalice of pine, do mop-up duty & keep the whole thing in line. Raisins, figs, the Partridge Family, & various other things poke heads into the sun from time to time.

What does this add up to? Beats me. This is one of the toughest beers I've had to 'score'. It's thick, deep, bitter, sweet, & oaky, It's very good. I don't need another, but this one is vanishing at a rather alarming rate. A- it is.

maximum12, May 12, 2010
4.22/5  rDev -0.5%

pours a cloudy copper with a one finger head. lots of carbonation releasing throughout. nice lacing throughout the glass

citrus hops at the beginning with grapefruit & orange. their are also faint notes of caramel, brown sugar & charred oak.

very well balanced. starts with malty notes dominating. very sweet & oaky... finishes with bitter hops and boozy burn. aftertaste hangs around a long time.

feel is medium with right amount of carbonation.

really like the balance of this beer. 10% abv is well hidden. reminds me a lot of 90 minute ipa. good beer.

haddon, May 11, 2010
4.6/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle into an ale glass.

A - clear copper color, a finger or so of head with decent lacing.

S - citrusy IPA smell, very good.

T - It tastes much like the DFH 90 minute IPA with some subtle hints of oaking. The touch of the aging is very slight so as to no overpower. Exceptional beer.

M - Thick and rich with just the right amount of carbonation.

D - I would drink this all day if I didn't fall off my chair. At 10% ABV I couldn't pound back very many.

evilkalla, May 09, 2010

pours a slightly hazes copper color with a nice 1 finger staying head and beige ring..looks good..smell is of a 2ipa with tropical fruit but this one has a oak smell as well but not strong just right..the taste is DFH 90 with a oak and tropical fruit taste twist..the mouth feel is full it full of hops grapefruit malt toast citrus and oak..if you like DFH 60 or 90 you will like this one ..only regret is i bought a single and now it is gone til next spring..this is a good one

gatornation, May 09, 2010
4.45/5  rDev +5%

Pours a slightly opaque, light copper color with a thin head that fades to a ring. Before I even bring the glass to my nose, there's a strong aroma of bourbon. Upon closer inspection, I get a lot of toasted malt aroma with hints of floral hops and what almost smells like chocolate. The taste is more bitter than I was anticipating from the aroma, with a tongue prickling bitterness the entire time its in you mouth. Underneath that there's a good deal of warmth from the alcohol and a full, creamy body with nice, toasted malt flavor. The finish is lingering and astringent. Drinkabliity is very good - there's a lot of complexity to this beer and with each sip I want more. Very interesting and delicious!

curasowa, May 08, 2010
4.4/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured 21 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A - Poured a very clean copper color with a nice cream colored head. Little visible carbonation. Nice lacing.

S - Sweet malty/citrusy smell.

T - Nice initial bitterness, a great malty middle, and a subtle bitter finish. A hint of nuttyness can also be observed in the finish.

M - Great balance between the hops and malt. Does a great job of masking the 10% ABV. Nice complexity.

D - Very drinkable beer. Great flavor profile that mixed well.

Way to go Dogfish Head!

BeardFacePhD, May 06, 2010
3.88/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Giving DFH yet another go-round. We'll see.

Appearance- Nice copper color. Full inch of very creamy, off-white head. Caps nicely. Laces beautifully. It's a nice color, and a good looking beer.

Smell- Lots of pine and resin. Definitely a hint of booze. The oak is very noticeable. Rich caramel malt.

Taste- Rich and malty. The booze is quite noticeable. The oak is strong as well. If finishes with some hops, and a little burnt caramel finish. Almost some grape. Butterscotch sweetness, lingering burnt. Can't believe how boozy it is, honestly.

Mouthfeel- Rich and creamy. Way too thick for a DIPA, but very pleasant for whatever exactly this is.

Drinkability- The sweetness, oak, and booze makes more than one something I'd rather pass on.

This is an interesting beer. I think as a DIPA I'd really dislike it, but as something else, it's kind of good. I'd like to age some to see if it mellows out.

callmescraps, May 06, 2010