Burton Baton - Dogfish Head Brewery

Burton BatonBurton Baton

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

This oak-aged gentle giant has been gaining popularity over the past few years and is now available year-round.

For Burton Baton, we brew two "threads," or batches, of beer: an English-style old ale and an imperial IPA.

After fementating the beers separately in our stainless tanks, they're transferred and blended together in one of our large oak tanks. Burton Baton sits on the wood for about a month.

When enjoying the Burton Baton, you'll find an awesome blend of the citrus notes from Northwestern hops melding with woody, vanilla notes from the oak. The wood also tends to mellow the 10% ABV of Burton, so tread cautiously!

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-08-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Burton Baton Alström Bros
oriolesfan4

Maryland

4.25/5  rDev +0.5%

Bought a four pack of this for $12.99 (it must be new in 12 oz. bottles?).

Bottle reads "oak aged Imperial IPA"... wow, can't wait to taste that one, two of my favorite tastes... wood-sy and bitter. Pours a light brown color with a big head to it and tons of lacing. Smell reminds me of a forest with the usual hoppy aromas. Taste is a lot like the 90 minute but with the oak kick in there (what else would you expect?). Has a bit of a strong alcohol taste (well, it is 10% ABV) but it's wicked smooth and absolutely delicious. Very well balanced and drinkable. Maybe a tad under Palo Santo Marrone for my fav DFH beer but damn I love that a brewery can make something as good as this.

05-01-2009 20:52:45 | More by oriolesfan4
kb199

Maryland

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

Oh dear god.... This was recommended to me, as I was drinking a Hop Sun, and man, did it blow me away. the hops is balanced by a sweet, almost honey flavor. You can hardly taste the 10% at first, but it does warm you from the inside as you work your way down the beer. Great beer.

05-01-2009 13:13:08 | More by kb199
kels

4.13/5  rDev -2.4%

Shared a couple of these with bamadog this past week. Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours ruby-copper and completely clear with a 1 1/2 finger white, smooth, creamy-looking head that fades and retains strongly at 1/2 finger. Thick lace blankets the sides of the glass and plenty of carbonation flows throughout.

Smell: Solid and surprising chewy, bready malt backbone supports a hoppy citrus and sappy hop overtone. Slight warm, oak tones sneak through as the beer warms.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Huge earthy, wet, piney, sticky hops, hot alcohol vapors, deep oaky tones and slightly syrupy malt. The feel is creamy and full with good carbonation.

Drinkability: Moderate - easier to drink than I thought it would be for the style and ABV. I could definitely have another.

04-30-2009 12:46:53 | More by kels
dukedevil0

4.53/5  rDev +7.1%

Picked up a single bottle from Valley Wine Cellar in Steubenville, OH.

A: Pours amber with a raspberry colored tint and very little white head and leaves lacing on the glass.

S: Super aromatic, the second I opened the bottle the scents filled the room and I must say it smells wonderful; intense hoppy smell, lots of fruity smells, citrus, and i feel like i can pick up an "oak aged" smell (or am I manufacturing it in my head?)

T: Similar to the smell; hops, citrus, some well balanced maltiness in the back...I'm not sure if this is supposed to be 90 minute reincarnated, but it tastes like it...which i like! tiny bit of alcohol flavor let's you know it can do some damage

M: super creamy dipa, full bodied, good bubbly carbonation (don't know why there wasn't much head though!)

D: only takes a hit because of the abv and you can taste a bit of the booze in it...the flavor is great and keeps me wanting more though

04-29-2009 20:26:39 | More by dukedevil0
Vonerichs

Poured a dark amber color with a decent one finger head. For 10% abv, the lacing is much heavier than I expected.

The smell is very prominent floral and piney hops, sweetness of over ripe dark fruits, and sweet malt. The oaked smell was a little less than I expected.

Floral and piney hops with a strong malt backbone. There are fruity esters in the mix as well. The wood is definitely present and gives it a very earthy and vanilla finish with a nice kick of some hop spice.

This has a nice creamy mouthfeel, but it is very astringent, too. It leaves a slight burn on the tongue.

Very flavorful, but also a bit boozey at times.

A very unique and well done brew by DFH.

04-29-2009 01:41:19 | More by Vonerichs
RockyTopHeel

4.88/5  rDev +15.4%

12 oz. bottle imprinted "Bottled on 03/30/09." Four pack I plan to age and add reviews over time.

Bottle 1: review date: 4/27/09 (1 month past bottling)
Dark amber-brown in color with a quickly dissipating off white head. Aroma of hops, caramel, bourbon-oak. First sip is smooth and bubbly and delicious. Refined hops flavor is strong well balanced by the slightly sweet caramel-vanilla from the oak aging. Nice bite from the hops melds into a smooth finish. Imminently drinkable for a 10% ABV beer. Oh holy crap, this is delicious. 4.5/4.5/5.0/5.0/5.0

Bottle 2: review date: 7/28/09 (4 months past bottling)
Similar appearance to the original review, complete with the rapidly disappearing head. Aromas are a little subdued, with slightly less vanilla-caramel and more clean, piney hops. Still imminently drinkable and delicious, but only slightly mellowed over the past 3 months. I stand by my original ratings of 4.5/4.5/5.0/5.0/5.0.

Bottle 3: review date: 4/14/10 (1 year past bottling)
Orange-amber in color and still full of carbonation (bottle actually bubbled over upon opening), with a big, pillowy beige head. Aroma of vanilla, toasted oak, and caramel, with hops in the background. Hops have faded into the background, replaced by vanilla, bourbon, caramel, and molasses. Mellow, but still bold and sticky-sweet. This aged very, very well and is a very different experience than the first bottle. I gave away my fourth bottle, so this is my last review for this batch. It's lost a little bit from the original, so I'll rate the aged bottle 4.5/4.5/4.5/5.0/5.0.

04-28-2009 01:54:04 | More by RockyTopHeel
DavoleBomb

4.08/5  rDev -3.5%

Poured into a snifter. This will be a fun review as I myself have recently bottled a very tasty DIPA that clocks in at 10% ABV.

4.5 A: Crystal clear dark orange amber color. Two fingers of thick, creamy white head with excellent retention and formitable lacing. Very well done at such a high ABV.

4.5 S: Lots of piney and citrusy hops. The oak is also very noticeable. Malts mesh well with the booziness to form a pleasant aroma.

4.0 T: Good brew, but lacking the kick from the hop flavor that I want. The oak stands out a bit more than the hops, which makes me a bit sad. Somewhat fruity in part from the citrus hops but also from esters from the malts.

3.5 M: Medium heavy body. Good carbonation, but could be creamier.

4.0 D: Pretty good, but could use more hops.

Verdict: My 10% ABV DIPA kicks the shit out of this beer, but that's probably because DFH gave up on the hops too soon.

04-27-2009 19:40:12 | More by DavoleBomb
NonServiam

4.2/5  rDev -0.7%

From a 12oz bottle into a straight pub glass. Not aged in the least.

Great hop bouquet -- sweet and juicy, with citrus highlights laid over a smooth backbone of stonefruit (mostly red; think cherries, plums, grapes), and a little oak. I really like the aroma this beer puts out.

Pours with a short (~1 finger) light-cream head, which becomes a very thin cap. The body of the beer is a lovely dark amber color that tinges toward straw around the edges of the glass. The head laces the glass a little bit, but not much.

The mouthfeel is light cream with medium-low carbonation.

Has a caramel cream flavor, with a bit of toastedness toward the end, and a heavy hop component, but not a "punch" or "burst" of hoppiness. Warm oak and toast throughout, but especially on the finish. Some slight alcohol burn... not distracting, and very well drinkable for an IIPA. Maybe a bit too sweet overall.

04-26-2009 23:42:31 | More by NonServiam
jasonjlewis

4.15/5  rDev -1.9%

Pours a nice 2 finger head with a clear amber color. Retention is fairly good as the head clings well to my glass.

Smell is of 90 minute ipa with an undertone of vanilla that becomes stronger as the beer warms. I also get some undertone of light fruits like grape and plum mixed with ethanol.

Flavor is a creamy with some caramel sweetness and vanilla. There is a creaminess to this beer as well. There is plenty of hop flavor to go around. Hints of oaked chardonnay hit me on this beer. My parents only drink chardonnay and there is something remotely reminiscent of that in the beer. This is finished off with a pungent earthy/woody hop flavor and bitterness.

Mouthfeel is adequately carbonated and suprisingly creamy.

I like the complexity of this beer as it warms up. I don't think I let it warm up the last time I had it and it tasted like I was drinking 90 minute IPA. I like the complexity and interesting undertones in this beer, however I am very aware that 90 minute IPA is the base of this beer and dominates most of the flavor components within.

04-26-2009 08:50:13 | More by jasonjlewis
kingcrowing

Vermont

4.78/5  rDev +13%

This is my favorite Imperial IPA. First off the aroma just punches you in the face with all the hops! It's very intense. The first few sips are quite intense, but it just got better as it warmed up.

It's fairly strong, which gives you a really warm feeling. Strongly recommended!

04-25-2009 21:45:54 | More by kingcrowing
emerge077

4.03/5  rDev -4.7%

Bottled 1/11/14

Got this as a freebie, thanks Wayne!

Bright saturated orange, frothy cap of cream colored foam on the surface, lots of lace coating the glass, long lasting surface coverage.

Aromas of papaya, citric, oak smoothed malt.

Taste is similarly smooth, flirts with tropical fruit, dried papaya and mango, dried orange peel, mellow bitterness that eventually builds and lingers. Mouthfeel is great, not too sweet, but there's a crystal malt sweetness there, it's big and boozy but stops short of being syrupy.

Never age this beer! You've been warned...

4-25-2009

2.7/5 rDev -36.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Second time having this, this one was cellared two years, bottled: 1/10/07. "Ages with the best of 'em" on the bottle.

Poured into a fluted tulip glass, lots of sticky foam on the glowing orange body. Lace is sticky, and adheres itself all round. Fruit roll-up aroma with some old ale qualities. Flavor is cloying sweet, like 6 packets of nutrasweet in iced tea. Malty backbone is there, some dried fruit, but it all gets lost behind the sugar overdose. Thick and sticky, like an imperial sweet tea. Ugh...it's still a mess after two years, cellaring does nothing for it. Having it fresh before, I remember it being a sweet booze bomb, but this just reminds me to never buy it again.

04-25-2009 00:43:27 | More by emerge077
sonicdescent

4.1/5  rDev -3.1%

Purchased this one at Vintage Estate in Boardman, OH. I know DFH and I have had some issues in the past, but I come to this one with open arms and an open mind, let's see how it goes.

Appearance is on par for a good dipa. Not much in teh way of head but a very thick looking liquid with some pretty carbonation coming off of the base of my Sam Adams sensory glass. Lacing is quite nice.

Smells quite strong, Wood notes are present, otherwise this is straight citrus and pine. Alluring!

Taste isn't as strong as the nose would lead me to believe, but it is quite interesting how the wood and hops interplay. This is a style that could probably be done more often. The booze becomes a slight factor that keeps this from exceptional status, but still a winner and probably the best thing I have had, in my opinion, from DFH.

Pretty thick mouthfeel and low carbonation for an IPA, which is interesting. Again, I like the twist on the genre. I hope that the lack of carbonation doesn't make this too syrupy to enjoy the entire way through the glass, because it is a pretty viscous bastard.

Drinkability, this is a very good beer, but I think there is a little room to improve on a wood aged IPA. I applaud the experimentation involved here and with DFH in general, because I know that while I may not always like the end result, Sam and co are doing some crazy shit that you don't see too much of.

04-24-2009 21:47:54 | More by sonicdescent
JAA

4.53/5  rDev +7.1%

HOLY SMOKES, what a fantastic beer. Nice job Sam.

Poured into my Peroni lager glass. Two finger off-white head, pure crystal clean amber body.

This is honestly one of the best smelling beers I've ever had.
Smells of sweet grapefruit and that earthy/biscuity smell that all of their IPA's have.

Taste is a little boozy, thats why i didn't give it a 5 overall. Reminds me of their 90 minute IPA. Very well balanced. Nice hop punch, but the earthyness of the oak keeps them in check. A little cocoa powder mixed in.

Mouthfeel and drinkability are much better than expected. Very creamy and smooth. Relatively good drinkabilty. Alcohol is pretty noticeable.

overall a wonderful DIPA, perfectly balanced and complex.

04-23-2009 22:09:52 | More by JAA
thryn

4.45/5  rDev +5.2%

Beautiful deep reddish amber, great clarity. A one-finger head gives way to some off white lace adorning the top. It sticks around at the edges, but doesn't stick to the glass.

Hops! Honey, grapefruit. What should an oaked IIPA smell like? Be like? Have I even ever had one before? I do pick up some tannins in the nose. Mostly just smells like a good DIPA, though.

But oh holy gods the flavor. A piney, resiny taste right at the outset, followed by complexity I'm having a difficult time finding the words for. Some vanilla, a ton of citrus, maybe even a hint of smoke. Honey sweetness balances the hop profile, and the oaky vanilla background gives it all a remarkable foundation. Alcohol is noticeable but not distracting. This is a big and weird beer, but nothing's so forward as to drown out the other elements. Honestly, I'm in love. I know I've had this once before, but I just enjoyed it ... this beer is one that is definitely worth sitting down and thinking about while you drink it. Why did I not buy a four-pack? It reminds me quite a lot of HopSlam, but more multidimensional.

In the mouth it's robust and sticky, but slick with hop oils. Carbonation is mild.

For a 10% ABV beer, this is incredibly drinkable. Well balanced, at turns aggressive and subtle ... just downright delicious.

04-23-2009 07:55:42 | More by thryn
hoplover82

4.03/5  rDev -4.7%

A-Pours a slightly foggy copper color with a thick creamy white head that stays forever in a tulip glass.

S-Smells like their 90min. very floral and citrusy. A little oak notes. Very little.

T-Flavor is very pungent hoppy and citrusy and sweet malty to balance. It's balanced in sweetness and bitterenss.

M-Full bodied and creamy. But it's a little hot in alcohol.

D-Pretty drinkable indeed. But that alcohol sting really turns me off. But it's not bad.

04-22-2009 21:47:31 | More by hoplover82
mjl21

2.7/5  rDev -36.2%

12 ounce bottle puchased at Central Market in Fort Worth, TX. Poured into a snifter. Bottled on 3/30/09 and comes in at 10%.

A-When poured has a very clear amber color with some nice ruby hue. It has a 3/4 finger off white head that goes to a decent froth ring. It is a really nice looking beer.

S-This may be one of the sweetest beers to ever hit my nose. After smelling this I knew to prepare for the sweet malt assault. The best way to describe this one is that it smells somewhat between the 90 minute and the 120 minute. Citrus pineapple and oak are very detectable.

T-Pineapple and honey hit very fast followed by an extreme level of cloying sweetness brought on by tons of caramel malt. In the back of the mouth peppery notes are evident and alcohol is also being detected. Some grapefruit bitterness can be detected, but not enough to mix with all of the malt. In between sips the tannins from the oak barrels leave my mouth feeling like I just had a really oaky Chardonnay.

M-Thick, chewy, very sweet, and sticky.

D-One is more than enough due to how sweetness is in this one.

This one did not work for me and is one of the sweetest beers I have ever had. Should have picked up an Indian Brown instead.

04-22-2009 17:59:31 | More by mjl21
bamadog

Kentucky

4.13/5  rDev -2.4%

Special thanks to Kels for bringing this - a great beer with quite a bit going on. Poured from the bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: A deep copper color with a bit of amber coming through; a nice one finger fluffy white head that dwindles to a very full skim on the surface; an oily lacing that doesn't stick around and slides quickly back into the drink; the body is very clear and shows moderate carbonation.

Smell: A strong blend of citrusy/piney hops and strong (suprisingly strong, that is) malty caramel presence as well.

Taste: The hpos are very present in the flavor and come across as a little more grassy than they did in the nose, I would also say there is a bit of a coppery flavor in the taste as well; there is a slightly woody presence; the alcohol is pretty big and little "burny"

Mouthfeel: A lot of hop resin makes it oily and sticky; the carbonation is a bit prickly but overall it's a fairly smooth drinking DIPA; alcohol warms the mouth and chest.

Drinkability: Moderate. For me, this is a beer that I would prefer to sit down and just nurse it for a while as opposed to trying to get through a few. The ABV is pretty big and I would definitely be feeling it if I attempted more than one. A very good beer overall.

04-22-2009 03:18:20 | More by bamadog
Thorpe429

Bottled on 03.30.2009

G: Poured into an oversized brandy snifter.

A: Pours a light, reddish copper with a single-finger, ever-so-slightly-reddened head with plenty of carbonation bubbles. The beer itself is mildly transparent in the glass. An absolutely gorgeous color. Quite a bit of lacing.

S: Sweet hops and malt; very reminiscent of a barleywine. After the initial burst of sweetness and fruits, the hops come through. Finally, the oak becomes present and is extremely inviting.

T: Initial malty sweetness, balanced out by a large abundance of piney hops. Or, should I say that the other way around? Either way, this is one balanced East Coast-style DIPA. After the initial flavors, the oak definitely comes through, although it is quite mellow. The more-fruity flavors are there as well--not quite citrusy or very tart, perhaps a slightly-syrupy version of one of the sweeter berries. Perhaps the best description is sherry-like.

M: Very smooth and creamy; medium mouthfeel. Deceptively, there is very little alcohol presence, although I can feel some alcohol warmth on my cheeks after I swallow.

D: A little too sweet and alcoholic to drink too much of, but I am very, very excited that this release has come around again.

04-21-2009 02:04:31 | More by Thorpe429
bonkers

4.22/5  rDev -0.2%

I poured from a 12 ounce bottle into my SA pint glass. It pours a deep orange with a 2 finger, sticky, white head. The aroma is thick and full of fresh cut pine. The flavor is mellow pine, with a hint of oak. Burton Baton is a thick DIPA with a chewy mouthfeel. This is a brew to sip and enjoy over the course of the evening. Make sure that it is not too cold, the flavor improves drastically as it warms.

04-18-2009 01:36:22 | More by bonkers
TheMistler

District of Columbia

4.28/5  rDev +1.2%

Pours a wee bit syrupy, with a color somewhat reminiscent of a pilsener, golden light brown, with some copper notes. The pour produces a good sized head, creamy in color and appearance. Nice retention, settling to a creamy and complete cap, and displaying nice sticky drapery lacing.

Sweet caramel malts, honey contributing some of the sweetness. Grapefruit. Vanilla and wood tannin notes. Grape juice. Some pine, and then very finely ground pepper indicating alcohol.

Caramel, bread and biscuit cover the malts. Grassy, biting hops. Constant bittering, but never overpowering. White bread. Wood tannins are present, a little bit in the taste, but largely in the aftertaste. Slight notes of sherry. There is yeast lurking within there. Dry, ethanol finish, even somewhat numbing.

Chewy bread feel, but also very creamy. Nonetheless, a surprisingly light - not light mind you, but lighter than expected - medium body. Goes down smooth. Not something to enjoy more than one, maybe two of.

04-17-2009 02:08:39 | More by TheMistler
Brad007

Vermont

4.58/5  rDev +8.3%

Pours a mild amber color with a decent two-finger head into my fluted tulip. Looks nice.

Aroma is full of oak and a grapefruit-like hop aroma with a strong alcohol presence in the nose.

Taste is full of grapefruit and oak upfront followed by a bit of mint and grassy flavors (also from the hops) and capped with a mild alcohol bite. Seems smooth and easy to drink so far.

Mouthfeel is full of lingering hop flavors as described above. Alcohol is well-kept in check. Hop flavors give way to a decent malt base that tones things down towards the back of the throat.

A marvelous example of an oak-aged DIPA. It's very drinkable for the ABV and an interesting take on the style. Absolutely worth a try.

04-16-2009 01:08:06 | More by Brad007
nrbw23

4.15/5  rDev -1.9%

A- Pours a cloudy amber color with a good size white head. Head has good retention and leaves good sheet of lacing on the glass.

S- Both sweet and hoppy smells jump right out at me. Mainly of caramelized malts, brown sugar, floral hops and a touch of fruit.

T- My first thought was wow there's a lot of stuff going on here in this one. First of all, most of the 90-minute notes are here piney and citrus hops, sweet, ripe fruits, and a nice amount of bitterness throughout. But then there's more a lot more. There's more bready, grainy malt, toasted malts and earthy hoppiness. The finish is oak, and a vanilla taste. It was like drinking two beers at one time.

M- Medium to full in body and good carbonation. Smooth and creamy as well.

D- Pretty easy to drink and intersting. I'd recommend this one to any one. A good change of pace.

04-15-2009 00:55:50 | More by nrbw23
LittleDon

4.43/5  rDev +4.7%

Deep amber in color with plenty of carbonation, it pours with a rich light tan head that stick around long than most. When the head finally does subside, I'm treated to a bountiful amount of lace clinging to the side of my pint glass. The aroma is a combination of hops, lightly toasted grains, and fruit (I think I smell pineapple). It's much sweeter than most DIPAs I've had, yet well balanced. The alcohol is just noticeable. Mouthfeel is medium-heavy.

This one gets better the more you drink it. I made mistake of not waiting long enough before the first taste. Definitely improves as it warms up.

04-11-2009 19:48:44 | More by LittleDon
Wildman

4.13/5  rDev -2.4%

This beer poured a clear dark copper amber color and formed a large foamy off white head that coated the glass with lace as it slowly subsided. A small amount of carbon is present. An aroma of malt, hops and caramel. The flavor was of malt, hops, caramel, and pepper. The body was medium light and slightly creamy. Fairly heavy on the malt side for a double IPA, but still a good beer.

04-11-2009 01:14:31 | More by Wildman
gregmoscetti

4.4/5  rDev +4%

What a great beer!

Poured into a frosty pint glass, a nice thick head formed at the top of this amber IPA.

Tasted like the amazing 90 minute ipa but with more bite (probably the oak barrel aging)

Tasted super hoppy but not unbalanced. I am glad my father has a second 4 pack waiting for me back in jersey. This baby is really really good. Kudos to DFH and I am glad it will be available three times this year!

04-10-2009 03:16:30 | More by gregmoscetti