Burton Baton - Dogfish Head Brewery

Burton BatonBurton Baton

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

This oak-aged gentle giant has been gaining popularity over the past few years and is now available year-round.

For Burton Baton, we brew two "threads," or batches, of beer: an English-style old ale and an imperial IPA.

After fementating the beers separately in our stainless tanks, they're transferred and blended together in one of our large oak tanks. Burton Baton sits on the wood for about a month.

When enjoying the Burton Baton, you'll find an awesome blend of the citrus notes from Northwestern hops melding with woody, vanilla notes from the oak. The wood also tends to mellow the 10% ABV of Burton, so tread cautiously!

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-08-2004)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Burton Baton Alström Bros
4.13/5  rDev -2.6%

serving from a 12 oz bottle

A - pours a clear, copper with a slight orange hue. nice 2 finger head which laces the glass

S- definitely dry hopped. very nice hop aroma. slight hint of the alcohol

T - hop bitterness up front. it definitely had a hop bit, typical for an IPA, but not overpowering. aftertaste is phenolic from the alcohol, which you expect with 10% ABV.

M - lots of carbonation, a little too much alcohol in the mouth

D - very drinkable given the high ABV.

4.08/5  rDev -3.8%

Poured from a bottle dated 03/01/10 into my trusty New Belgium globe.

A - nice amber/orange color, bit of cloudiness, minimal head but think lacing.

S - my favorite part of this beer. Caramel. Nice citrus (orange peel) hop smell. Slight vanilla, bit of spiciness.

T - initial orange peel flavor gives way to a nice sweet maltiness and ends with a nice spicy finish

M - Nice and creamy. Not as "sticky" as I thought it would be, perfect amount of carbonation helps it slide down the throat.

D - Could easily get you into trouble. 10% alcohol is barely noticed (until it is too late).

3.68/5  rDev -13.2%

Hazy gold hue and no head. Very smooth crisp citrus aromas with a slight earth hint that i'm guessing is from the wood, nice touch.

A slight syrupy mouth feel with a decent amount of carbonation to cut through the thickness.

There's a weird combination happening with the hops and the malt/barrel. This definitely leans towards tasting like a barley wine, there's definitely that malty presence which is good. The hop presence is nice as well, I don't know how good these specific (specific to this beer) flavors go together. There's parts that almost kind of taste like yogurt. There's a dry wood taste that lingers in my mouth.

This is definitely something I could enjoy in a smaller portion. I'd be curious to see how it ages. too bad i just drank my second bottle. Off to City Beer!

3.95/5  rDev -6.8%

Source/Serving: Draft.

Smell: Very creamy cooked peaches, a little musty/oaky, toffee, and a little sour and yeasty.

Taste: Smooth and balanced. Very nice fruit (pear and apple) flavors with syrupy brown sugar and grapeskin bitterness that starts slow and crescendos up towards the finish. The finish is fairly short, resinous, fairly bitter with some woody undertones. Mouthfeel is moderately viscous.

4.45/5  rDev +5%

12 oz. Almost amber pour with a very frothy off white head, a good 2 fingers and it lasts and sticks.

Aroma is a bit subdued in the pine department. Caramel and malty bread almost. Leather and an oakiness to it as well.

Taste is where this stands out for me, someone who really prefers a balanced DIPA. Solid malt backbone and accenting pieces with the toffee, caramel and oak barrel. Some earthy peat and leather and a hint of smoke. Very nice. A well balanced pine and citrus hop bite throughout.

Very creamy mouthfeel. Not quite medium bodied, but quite sticky. Very little abv presence.

Maybe a little different for the style and especially for the West coasters, but I prefer them this way.
I can see why even with so many reviews this is still a standout.

4.1/5  rDev -3.3%

Poured into a globe glass.
Listening to: Drew Emmitt: Across the Bridge

A= Good color and transparency. The wood seems to give the beer a very cloudy appearance. With a short head retention and minimal lacing, the overall appearance is quite plain.

S= The muskiness of the nose is what is present at first. As if you are sticking your nose into a tree, smelling the hoppy nature of Dogfish and the many layers of wood.

T= The wood in the cask process is apparent, the spicy flavors which come from the taste express the wood. IPA does not jump out, a bit masked by the wood. mmmm. But the pine turned vanilla taste is pleasing. The oak makes so many flavors it is hard to place them all. As this beer warms the flavors and aromas do change, not that of all warming beers, but the oak adds to the complexity. As warming it shows> a much more wide range of flavors. Big at the start, spicy fruit, mellowing out slowly to a warm pear taste.

M= A silky lingering on the tongue, with after tastes of spice. A IPA jumping into the realms of the mouthfeel of a nice Barley Wine.

D= The drinkablity is moderate, in all excellent tastes, the wood and the big IPA flavors need to be savored slow. I feel that I could drink this beer as a staple, but a bit too expensive. Also a beer that expresses different flavors and aromas as it warms.

Overall= Wood, wood, and more wood, a bit over done, I think so and thats a good thing. Much props to the many DFH ales that have pushed the limits of unique styles and aging. The Burton is a beer that hides it's ABV and prides in it's taste(s).

4.25/5  rDev +0.2%

Pours a dark reddish brown in the glass which shows through as a bright caramel orange when held up to light underneath a small beige head that recedes to a thick collar.

The aroma is pretty close to an American barleywine - citrus hops coupled with sugary caramel malts. There are some dark fruits in there as well, but I'm definitely getting the 90 Minute presence in the nose, with an extra dose of malts.

The taste starts with an orange and pineapple hop presence but it then gives way to the dominant caramel malts and candied fruit sweetness. The finish is fairly sweet but with a bit of spicy oak.

The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied and malt-forward with a dry oaky presence in the finish. The carbonation seems light but I still feel like there are tons of tiny bubbles on the palate.

Another great beer from DFH - a malty DIPA/strong ale that retains drinkability but with some kick. Nice.

4.47/5  rDev +5.4%

A: Cloudy amber-orange with yellow on the edges. Thin head, but THICK lacing.
S: Sweet biscuit and orange citrus.
T: Delicious citrus. More orange and lemon, but no pine - my kind of IPA. The oak gives this a nice rounded sweetness.
M: Very chewy, very thick. Neither the hop nor carbonation is overpowering. The beer has a wonderfully smooth finish. Great contrast to the 90/120 minute IPAs. Not a hop-bomb.
D: I can't believe this is 10%. Barely a hint of alcohol. I hesitate to call this a session IPA, but it sure drinks like one. Wow.

When I first heard about this beer, it sounded like it was made specially for me: IPAs and strong ales are two of my favorite styles, and I firmly believe that oak makes any beer better. When I first got hold of a bottle about a year ago, I was somewhat disappointed. Don't get me wrong; it was a very good beer, but I was expecting an epiphany.

It wasn't until I tried this beer on tap that I had that epiphany. Often, beers of this type are better from the bottle than from a tap; the opposite is true of Burton Baton. It pours a beautiful deep amber with plenty of head. The nose entices with aromas of pine, citrus, and oak. Taste is similar, with plenty of aggressive hops rounded out by the oak. This is a wonderfully complex beer, with lots of flavors mingling harmoniously. I could drink this all night (or at least until the 10% ABV puts me on my ass). Definitely a top 10 beer for me and easily my favorite Dogfish offering.

4.33/5  rDev +2.1%

Amber orange with light orange highlights around the sides. Impressive, dense off-white head billows for a minute but quickly dies out. The aroma is nothing like an imperial IPA, and that might be a good thing. Lots of caramel and toasted malts hit the nose and a very very subtle citric hop component in the background. One taste and you realize this is a truly imperial IPA indeed. The first rush is a doughy, sweet, sticky kind of experience, but the citrusy/grapefruit-like hops follow it up right there, ready to kick some ass, and it might be yours! This beauty sticks all over the place - tongue, cheeks, teeth, throat, and makes you want to go back for more. I'm yet to be disappointed by any Dogfish offerings.

From a bottle stamped "bottled on 3/1/10." Into my Sam Adams glass, this one's a slightly hazy orange with plenty of precipitating carbonation. Medium sized head of off-tan which fades at a leisurely pace to a thin cap and solid ring with a moderate amount of cling. Nose of grapefruit hops right up front. Inevitable comparisons to DFH 90 spring to mind, but this one doesn't seem to have the borderline over-sweet malt of the 90. The malt is there, but no alcohol, despite the hefty 10% advertised by the label. More citrus on the nose, orange rinds, and a bit of peppery spiciness. In the mouth, definite biter hops up front, with little malt background, reinforcing my initial contrast to 90. This one's a hop bomb, that's for sure. Nice bitter dry finish. On the tongue, it's crisp, complementary of the sharp hops nature. Middle body, right between watery and viscous. Drinkability is OK for what it is. Not something I'd want to pound several of for sure.

OK, I have to ding this one a bit for lack of complexity. I'm really not getting the "two thread blend of young and wood aged Imperial IPA." In fact, it's reminding me a lot more of my first Bell's Hopslam, which I had for the first time (and did not review) about a week ago. Not a whole lot of complexity, just pretty much in-yo-face hops. To me, a better balance of hops to malt would help bring out the hops. As it is, the tongue suffers burnout after one beer. A good beer no doubt, but a bit off the charts for me.

4.22/5  rDev -0.5%

This beer pours a deep hazy blood orange color with two to three fingers that fades in a slow thick mass. Slow, laidback kind of carbonation. The smell is mellow oak and vanilla with a juicy hop profile just below that, hops mostly sweet and kind of herbal. The smell is very blended in that nothing hits me over the head but there's still something there. Hardy malt, but nothing stands out.

Glug glug glug

Well, lotsa of flavors, the smell is much more blended than the taste. The flavor is a damp wooden kind of quality, Oak I suppose with a very bitter edge on that Oak. The juiciness of the hops comes after the bitter edge and supports it to the aftertaste, which retains much of the bitterness and the Oak. The malt in this is sweet and supportive to just how big this beer is but I have trouble telling when it's at play in the profile. The mouth feel is full and sticky, much better than most IPAs or even Doubles I've had lately.

4.15/5  rDev -2.1%

Poured into tulip a dark amber, brownish orange with a nice tan creamy head that gathers excellent lacing all over the glass. Appears rather dark for an IPA, but is expected due to the oak aging and blending of these ales. It does actually look quite a bit similar to the 90 minute, but this should come as no surprise. Scent is nice oaked maltiness, with a bit of hop fruitiness concealed in the background. Very balanced. Great smell here, really enhances the entire experience of this ale. This has a great, creamy feel about it. Not overly carbonated, very pleasing to the palate. The alcohol content is masked on this bad boy, making it super drinkable. Just be sure to consume wisely.

4.05/5  rDev -4.5%

Pours a nice orange-amber color, with a beautiful collar of thick, white foam. Aromas of citrus, grapefruit and oak. On the palate, more oak, vanilla, grapefruit, caramel and a hint of alcohol. A very nicely balanced beer, an improvement over 90 minute.

3.23/5  rDev -23.8%

A- Pours a brilliant burnt red ale color, nice thick effervescent off white head.

S- Sweet, ripe fruit smells and DFH malt up front, middle is solid oak laying the wood, ends with some toned down citrus hoppiness. Very complex, yet subtle, smell.

T- Almost the same balance as a 90 minute at first, but it's really interesting to see how dried out this gets from the oak aging. Maybe even a bit of sourness hiding in here. Even a few hints of pasty 120 Minute in here. A lot of complex, interesting flavors, but overall, the dry bitterness was a bit much for me.

M- One of the better characteristics of this beer, seems to turn immediately to foam in the mouth.

D- I found this a bit hard to take at first, considering the dry bitter punch, but it did grow on me. I don't think I could put too many back.

I really want to try this puppy after a year or three of aging in the cellar.

4.35/5  rDev +2.6%

Pours a deep copper with a solid head of white. Smells of citrus hops. Up front there is alittle burn followed by light malt then the hops hit. It leaves a nice lacing in the glass. The mouth feel is AWESOME...could be the silkiest feeling beer i've ever had. I'm getting to much to hint at the barrel ageing but it's still VERY good.

3.4/5  rDev -19.8%

This is a Dogfish brew that I've somehow missed, but I'm looking forward to finally trying it. The label says "Lush and Enjoyable now... this beer ages with the best of 'em." Bottled on 6/19/09, so not exactly aged but not fresh either.

Pours a glorious crystal clear orange/red, but the little to no head doesn't top things off like it should. Aroma hits first with citrus hops (more orange than grapefruit) and then follows with caramel, apple, pear, some booze. Taste is similar, but the oakiness really comes through. This is one of the less hoppy DIPAs I've had. The bitterness shows up a bit but is quickly mellowed by the sweet bready malts.

Spicy alcohol in the finish, but I would have guessed less than 10%. I would have liked carbonation to be a little higher but I guess that's to be expected with this abv. Usually my problem with DIPA's is too much over the top hoppiness, but I think in this case the malt sweetness was overdone. Well-made, but not one of my favorites.

12 oz. bottle

Pours a light golden amber. I smell citrus hops and malt, with a little alcohol at the end. Taste is sweet malt, a little bit of hops, honey and strong alcohol. Mouthfeel is good, perfect amount of carbonation, it's very pleasant. Drinkability is insane, even though it's 10%, it's extremely drinkable, if on tap I would drink this all night.

3.98/5  rDev -6.1%

A- Beautiful deep orange brown with a nice 1 finger foam head that stuck around long enough.

S- Deep malty, pine & oak

T-alittle heavier on the malt than I usually like but well balanced with the oak and pine undertones. Finishes alittle sour. Overall a new experience for me that I'm very much enjoying.

M- right on the money

D-beautiful for one but I couldn't drink more than 1 or 2 in a row.

3.8/5  rDev -10.4%

Picked up a 12oz single the other day from Holiday Wine Cellar. I've been happy to see various off-centered ales drifting all the way across the coast and into my fridge lately.

Poured right from the fridge to my glass and presents with a tight and lasting single finger light tan head layer. Body appears amber/orange with a bit of visible carbonation.

First nose if of that familiar DFH sweet, strong malt presence. Very 90 min like, but definately sweeter. Hops are very pungent and carry that sharp cirtrus/pineapple quality.

The taste is of a strong IIPA. Mouth-dominating hops. My tongue is gentley covereved completely by this piney, resiny hop flavor.

This is a very fresh representaion of Burton Baton (bottled 3/1/10) and I would love to try one with some age next to it. I think a bit of time, 1+ year, would morph the qualities here a bit and meld the sweetness into something a bit more drinkable. Still a decent beer, but nothing I would drink in quantities greater than 1. I'll be back.

4.33/5  rDev +2.1%

A slightly hazy orange/amber color body with a lasting foamy offwhite head leaving tuns of lacing , lively carbonation. Aroma is of oak , alcohol , citrus , pine , caramel and leather . Flavor is cirtusy up front fading to a big caramel malt sweetness , oak and some nice piny , earthy hop notes , nice level of bitterness ,full body , sticky mouthfeel . big hoppy finish with honey and alcohol lingering . Very drinkable and a very good brew .

4.22/5  rDev -0.5%

Copper amber with a creamy eggshell cap of delicate foam that leaves fine lace on the glass. Pine sap,tobacco,toasted oak and a mentholy botanical note make for a complex nose. Pineapple,dark fruit,pine sap with caramel malt and toasty vanilla oak flavors. Crazy good complexities really come alive as this beer warms up a bit. Full bodied with warming alcohol in the finish. I think the recipe for this beer has changed. The bottle says: "a two thread blend of young and wood aged Imperial ipa". I believe it was a blend of barrel aged English old ale and 90 minute ipa in the past. A fine offering from Dogfish.

3.9/5  rDev -8%

A- orange-amber, thin, off-white head that dissipates for the most part, good lacing.

S- Sharp citrus rind, woody, dried fruits, caramel malt, some oak-y vanilla in the background.

T- Citrus flavor that intensifies before giving way to booze-soaked dried fruit, apricot, light-vanilla/floral sweetness, some tropical notes, and an oak-y finish. Caramel malt backing throughout rounds out sharper flavors without compromising complexity.

M- Medium-to-thick bodied, very fine carbo lighten body without being so prevalent as to mute flavor.

D- A little boozey to be considered truly drinkable, but not bad for a beer packing 10% ABV.

4.2/5  rDev -0.9%

Poured In: Snifter Glass
Purchased At: Steve's (University, Madison, WI)

Appearance: The pour is between an amber, brown and cadmium orange color with the head fighting its way to get to about half a fingers worth, but it doesn't make it. Given the alcohol content I wasn't expecting a large amount of head, even with my aggressive pour. After a few swirls in the snifter there's a few dots on the side of the glass, but it isn't sticking. It doesn't seem like very much lace is going to be produced, but after a few more swirls you can see beer legs. When held up to light, the effervescence is wide, but thin.

Smell: Imperial IPA you say? The nose is full of sweet malt, a little heat from the alcohol, nutty and earthy. The common hop bomb hops don't seem to be present here. This reminds me of their Olde School Barleywine, which was exquisite I might add. This isn't packing the usual IIPA citrus characteristics that I was expecting.

Taste: The palate is slightly candied like the nose from the high use of sweet malt. The malt sticks throughout the entire tasting, but oak, vanilla and hops start to join in the fun to add a moderate amount of bitterness and some resinous and earthy flavors towards the end of the tasting.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, chewy, velvety, really quite lovely to be honest.

Drinkability: It'd be hard to have a couple of these in an evening, but this single twelve ounce bottle I had was fantastic.

4.35/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured 12oz bottle into snifter; born on date 03/01/10

Pours a dark bronze with orange highlights, capped by a creamy white head.

Presents a welcoming aroma of a strong malt backbone, and a notable hop presence. Not a killer with the hops, as some I.I.P.A.'s may be but then again that is only one half of this beer. The oak aging seems to give a noticeable vanilla like aroma but not a strong oak scent.

Taste greets the palate with sweet dark fruit flavors, a bit raisiny. Hops are mostly citrus-like flavors, but not as noticeable as they would be in 90 minute I.P.A. Again the oak aging seems to give off vanilla flavors more than anything else.

Creamy and smooth in the mouth but will be interesting to see how this ages. A few months behind it could polish it off even more.

Dogfish Head really puts it all on the line with this amazing offering. Simply put, this is a great sipping beer for a quiet evening.

Burton Baton from Dogfish Head Brewery