Burton Baton - Dogfish Head Brewery

Burton BatonBurton Baton

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: Todd on 12-08-2004

This oak-aged gentle giant has been gaining popularity over the past few years and is now available year-round.

For Burton Baton, we brew two "threads," or batches, of beer: an English-style old ale and an imperial IPA.

After fementating the beers separately in our stainless tanks, they're transferred and blended together in one of our large oak tanks. Burton Baton sits on the wood for about a month.

When enjoying the Burton Baton, you'll find an awesome blend of the citrus notes from Northwestern hops melding with woody, vanilla notes from the oak. The wood also tends to mellow the 10% ABV of Burton, so tread cautiously!

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Burton Baton Alström Bros
4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

Poured from bottle into snifter. I've been searching for this one for a while and the guy at Nikki's Liquors had some in the back. Sweet! A blend of 90 and An English Strong Ale, barrel-aged, IIRC.

A- A copper, honey brown, effervescent brew. Looks like a solid head for 10% ABV. Darker than other DFH IPAs, my guess would be the barrel-aging.

S- Smoke, wood, and the traditional DFH proprietary hops. Smells great. Hints of vanilla? possibly.

T- Like most DFH IPAs, it has that new growth floral hop taste. The barrels add some depth on this which work well with the considerable malt. A very tasty beer. The barrel qualities, vanilla, sappy wood?... a honey sweetness, wow. I am impressed. Not your average DIPA. Not by a long shot. A wholly unique beer.

M- For the ABV, fantastic. Crisp, tasty, complex, never overbearing or cloyingly sweet, nowhere near syrupy.

D- Fairly high. I like this beer. For the price, I can't say I wouldn't grab a 90 minute or a Squall IPA (my all time fav), but if I saw this beer on tap I'd get a pint or snifter for sure. At almost double the price of the 60 min and 1 1/2 times the price of the 90 min, this beer is a specialty beer.

Truth be told, I like the hops in the 90 better, but that's just my taste. The barrels ad a whole other level of complexity to this one that's undeniably good. This beer has a nice malt character that takes the DFH IPA in a new direction. A joy to drink.

3.7/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

341 ml bottle courtesy of HogtownHarry. Deep and hazy mahogany. Pours a frothy beige cap. Leaves some pretty lace. Nose is toffee and caramel, peaches and orange. Some woody earthy hops too. Tastes of caramel, vanilla, lots of oak, quite fruity too. Flavours of brown sugar are huge. The hops don't play as much as a role as I thought they would, and overall this is a lot sweeter than I expected. The finish does show earthy caramel malts with fresh hop bitterness. Long finish. Reminds of of a sweeter version of 90 minute, or what I'd expect 90 minute to taste like blended with a Fuller's Vintage Ale. Thanks for the bottle Harry!

4.32/5  rDev +2.1%

Had at Tryst in Delray Beach, FL out of their "special reserve collection" that isn't listed on their menu

Just to clarify what I recently learned about this brew. They take old 90 Minute IPA that has been aged for a year in barrels and blend it with their new 90 Minute IPA? Very creative.

A: Pours a golden bronze color that produces a medium off-white head that retains fairly well and leaves a little lacing. pours very similar to the 90 Min.

S: Oak, vanilla, sugars, floral and bittering hops, raisins, bready, twangy citrus notes, and a rum or brandy note that probably came from the barrel aging. Truly delicious

T: Very similar to the nose, yet a little sweeter. Brown sugar notes perhaps from the alcohol, floral and aromatic hops, firm malt bill, oak, vanilla, rum/brandy, citrus notes finish this long sip.

MF/D: Full bodied, sugary/sweet finish, slightly alcoholic as it warms.

DFH continues to amaze me! Their innovation is second to none, and this brew is no exception. Looking forward to Black & Blue and Red & White.

4.35/5  rDev +2.8%

Pours out a rather yellow-redish color with a thin white head. Good lacing all the way dawn. Smells of strong green hops, with some wood notes as well. The taste has a nice wide hop bite up front, but as I swirl it over my tounge the roasted malt flavors come out real fast. Rather supprising for an IIPA. This has alot of sweet flavors on the back of the tounge. The mouthfeel is rather tangy, but it's not really from the carbonation. This really would be a good "gate-way" beer for those not too familar with hoppy IIPA's.

4.47/5  rDev +5.7%

Ok, this beer is dangerous. I'll start with drinkability b/c at %10 abv this is easy drinking, which could knock you for a loop easy. Alcohol is well hidden, a slight burn at the end. Slight.

Pours a rusty ruby, clean body topped with an off white, fluffy, stick head. Some chunk, but it leveled off to start sticking to the side.
Aroma is a blend of flowers, sappy hops, oak, caramel and young orange rind. What? I know, complicated.
I usually don't like oak aged IPAs all that well b/c the oak takes over. This one is an exception. The oak is there, but on the sides. More resin and smooth butteriness. Still clean, though. Nice English IPA hints, if not for the carbonation I would have assumed a live ale (maybe).
This is a very nice beer, drank at 52 (+/-) degrees F.

3.9/5  rDev -7.8%

I think this is actually better than the 90 minute IPA and would get this, much less available beer, any time I can find it. Dogfish has a number of more obscure beers that are really good and this is definitely one of them. I'd also include Raison d'extra, world wide stout and some of their more experimental beers. Always check the dogfish head section whenever you go to a good beer store.

4.05/5  rDev -4.3%

note: this is a stream of conscience rendering of my notes, sorry... its 4:30am
poured into a tulip it took a violent pour to release even a finger's worth of head which quickly disappeared and left little lacing and sat atop a sexy amber brew with ruby hues. smells of hops, fresh and zesty with bits of pear, wood, and hints of grape. upon tasting, wow. hops followed by hops and hops, but in a mellowed, balanced way so even a non-hophead might find great pleasure upon consuming. slight oak comes through. feels good in the mouth, thick but not chewy. the biggest problem with this libation is that i can't put it down, and at 10%, it could be dangerous.

4.11/5  rDev -2.8%

I poured a 12 ounce bottle from this year's batch into a Sam Adams Sensory glass.

Look: Appealing golden reddish-brown with a slightly tan head, I didn't get much head on my pour from a 12 ounce bottle, but I went easy on it. A steady stream of bubbles arose from the nucleation points at the bottom of my Sam Adams glass. The thin head quickly dissipated, but some light lacing was evident.

Smell: Not too strong, but a vanilla oakiness with maybe some fruit and hops - nothing too overpowering in the least.

Taste: This has some of the characteristics of all the trendy burbon-barrel aged beers but none of the overpowering flavor some of them exhibit. The initial flavors are sweet but not too sweet, with some nice caramel, vanilla, oak, and fruitiness, without being cloying. The snap of bitterness cleans the palate nicely with some sweetness and effervescence remaining on the tongue. I expected a beer with fairly low carbonation, but I feel the moderately high levels help to avoid an overly sweet and sticky beer. Some of the baking soda flavors I've been hating about high-IBU beers make their appearance a minute or so after swallowing, but aren't abhorrent.

Mouthfeel: As I mentioned, I think the carbonation levels help create a truly excellent mouthfeel - nearly on the levels of Saison Dupont perfection. It's full and smooth in the mouth and the sweetness is well-displayed, but the bubbles and hop snap leaves your tongue feeling ready for more.

Drinkability: Honestly, I consider most any beer highly drinkable if it's a style I enjoy. Burton Baton is quite dangerous, as the high ABV is disguised by a truly excellent mouthfeel that allows you to take one swig after another. A great beer from a brewery I would expect to make a high-end DIPA.

3.97/5  rDev -6.1%

Had this 12oz bottle age for about one year.

Pours a syrupy looking ambrosia amber color. No head or bubbling. But a great looking IPA still. The aroma is up front, woodsy and fruity nectar sweet. The aged away hops give this DIPA a nice caramelized orange peel aroma and oohhh yeah...alcohol. Sweet are caramelized fruits and alcoholic warmth start the flavor profile off. The middle has a more subdued alcohol and toasted wood mixig with the still strong fruit flavors. Apple and pear brandy come to mind with all these rich, syrupy palated fruit flavors jumping all over the palate. The is a strong, alcoholic, and syrupy beer. This a noteworthy, complex sipper. Koodos Dogfish!!!

2.99/5  rDev -29.3%

Pours a deep orange amber color, like pale maple syrup. Almost no head at all, with some sticky lacing evident.

I pick up a resiny sweet sugary pine aroma right away. The more I sniff I also get a sweetened over-ripe orange kind of smell, passion fruit also rounds out this interesting smelling brew. The hops have obviously faded and there is inherent alcohol in the end of the nose.

The taste is different. I get sugary sweet over ripe pineapple right away, then comes the oak. The wood bitters the sweet front with a phenolic twang. More over ripe citrus fruit, and then it gets boozy. Sweet, syrupy and lacking any sort of real bitterness. Cloying sweetness.

Mouthfeel fits the profile of a DIPA, somewhat syrupy and medium bodied. Carbonation was a little low, but the bottle is not new so I'm not really surprised.

Man, I had high expectations for this one. A very complex crazy brew, but what a let down. I'm a staunch defender of DFH, but dammit sometimes they just try too hard.

3.72/5  rDev -12.1%

pours a deep dark amber with a medium size off-white head, and okay lacing.

smell is of malt, caramel, and somewhat woody.

taste is thick and creamy, caramel, oak, and roasted nuts, ends dry and nicely bitter.

overall a very nicely made IPA that reminds me of a barley wine.

3.85/5  rDev -9%

I didn't like this when I first bought it a year or two ago. That is especially usual because this is my favorite style from my favorite brewery. So what's wrong? I don't know for sure. I guess I was bit put off by the barrel taste (and whatever) overpowering the hops. I would much prefer a 90.

I so disliked this that I put some up in storage for much later tasting. After a year of two it is much mellower and smoother than I recall. And I like it better. I wish I had more than one to drink and criticize.

It's a quality product, but not my ideal.

I found one more a couple months later and I stick to my previous comments - it's strong, deep, malty and boozey and just not what I like.

4.21/5  rDev -0.5%

355ml bottle poured into a snifter. Dogfish says pint BA says snifter. I like snifters better so...

Appearance: Pours a dark ruby red. Head is surprisingly good with fair retention, which dissipates into a moderate soapy lacing. Lacing clings to the glass though not at full force. Doesn't coat the glass like most IPAS. However looks great when swirled as the lacing takes on the swirl. I had a tough time deciding what to give this since I never give 5s but this beer looks like a gem with a little white foam sitting on top. Brilliantly pretty.

Smell: Vanilla and dark fruit hit first (un ipa-like), however there is a definite hoppiness lurking behind. Smell is not that strong

Taste: Though the smell lacks some intensity the taste is much more pronounced. Very similar to the smell. Vanilla and dark pitted fruits take center stage. A bit of rustic wooden taste, which is more then likely from the wood aging. The oak aged ale really mellows the flavor out from full blown IPA. There is a definite sweetness in this. The vanilla notes and sweetness almost resemble a Belgian strong dark or dubbel. However the hoppiness and slight pine flavors remind that this is an IPA. As it warms up it reminds you more of the 90 minute IPA and the pine/pineapple flavors become more pronounced then the vanilla, raisin and oak.

Mouthfeel: Properly carbonated and velvety smooth this gets a 5. There is the IPA bite but its washed down in a wave of velvet quite like a Belgian ale.

Drinkability: Well alcohols too high for a session. But this a seductive brew that is complex. You could sip on two of these and enjoy yourself and feel great afterwords. A definite joy to drink price is a bit high though.

4.32/5  rDev +2.1%

Poured into a pilsner glass.

A: Brownish amber, with a thick creamy off white head with some pretty nice lacing.

S: Bitter, citrus hops and a nice sweet malt undertone

T: Initially some burnt malt, with a nice, citrus hop finish that is overall a very nicely balanced, can also detect some of the woody oak aging.

M: Medium bodied, mildly alcoholic finish...

D: Given the abv and the fairly well concealed abv, this is a very dangerously drinkable brew.

4.23/5  rDev 0%

Poured into a pilsner glass.

Pours a dark copper; almost caramel color. Nice fluffy of white head. Nice lacing.

Smells of citrus hops; some rustic earthy malts. Nice balance.

Nice strong citrus hops, along with some flowery tastes. Creamy initial mouthfeel due to the nice head retention. Has a spicy pop to it on the tounge. Nice smooth brew with a clean aftertaste.

This is a fine imperial IPA. Very complex flavors, yet very balanced and drinkable. The alcohol is nicely masked in this one. Very good brew.

3.65/5  rDev -13.7%

Pours to a nice head that is holding. Has a nice amber color. The oak and hop can not be missed in the aroma, and carries over to the taste just as well. There is also a big body with a nice sweet undertone. I am noticing the flavors are melding much better as it gets warmer. As far as drinkability this is something to appreciate at a very moderate pace. The fact this is 10% is very well masked by the big flavor. All in all this is a fine offering once again by Dogfish Head. I think for any DIPA drinker they will enjoy this very much.

Pours deep clear copper with huge fluffy head and streamers of carbonation. The aroma is floral hop, deep and rich. Flavor is rich caramel with a vast blast of floral hops. Plummy, malty toffelike finish. Mouthfeel is creamy and thick. The high alcohol content is masked by the malt, good balance.

3.83/5  rDev -9.5%

Reviewed without the trifecta out of a pint glass.

Appearance:2 1/2 fingers head which dissipates nicely with a clear and rich amber head.

Smell:This brew gives off a rich hop aroma where grapefruit is most prominent, there are subtle hints of malt and a mild yet distinct alcohol sting.

Taste:This brew opens with a sharp hop profile and maltiness. The hops and the malts increase from open to middle. As this finishes the hops take over and as the brew warms the earthiness of this brew comes out.This brew leaves an hopy and alcohol aftertaste in my mouth but not enough to deter my desire for another sip.

Mouthfeel: this brew is on the border of medium and full bodied.
Drinkability: the initial drinkability of this brew was 3.5 but this brew is definitely growing on me and has bumped itself up to a 4.0.

4.12/5  rDev -2.6%

A- Poured into a 16oz tumbler... Finger and a half frothy white head that slowly recedes... leaves some lacing. Beer is a crimson red color with little activity

S- Very sweet aroma with a hint of hop bite

T- Very sweet taste as it first touches you lips, follows with the strong imperial hop bite in your mouth and throat after the swallow... an almost perfect balanve

M- Pretty light bodied with little carbonation... has a bitter hop bite that lingers in your mouth

D- Very drinkable for any person who enjoys a hoppy beer. The sweet taste hides the high abv... making this a potentially dangerous brew

CHEERS!!

4.35/5  rDev +2.8%

Poured a golden amber, with a nice thick head. Lacing remained far where the head started after it subsided. I smelled citrus, oak, and a hint of malt. Mouthfeel had a nice residue to it, this beer stayed on my palette for a bit, and its what I have come to expect from an Imperial IPA. Unlike some doubles there is a much stronger malty backbone, which I prefer as it increases the complexity of the taste. Hop citrus taste up front, with a hint of Oak throughout with a nice resiny smooth finish of malt. Nice and complex. Drink ability is up there but it is not something I would slam. This beer is to be savored. Very few Imperial IPA are better.

3.97/5  rDev -6.1%

Bottled on 6/19/09, sampled on 7/11/09.

Poured this ale at about 55 degrees into my stemmed tulip. The head froths up but ends up subsiding to a half finger of foam. Color is a very clear brownish red.

Aroma does not have the hoppiness of a DIPA, but it has a lot of other complexities to back it up. Oaky and woody, with a strong, sweet, malty aroma. The hops are herbal and really blend well with the other aromas. Slight tropical fruitiness also can be detected.

Taste blends an oaky vanilla flavor with a big, strong sweetness. I picked up a tropical fruit like hop flavor. Bitterness is strong, but balanced in a way that you could forget that its there and focus on sweetness.

Mouthfeel is very smooth, and adds a lot to the beer. Drinkability is about what you would expect. I personally wouldn't want another because of how big and sweet it is. A special occasion beer.

Aging notes:

Aged one year. The nose lost a lot of the hops, leaving a caramelly, fruity, warm aroma. I prefer the aroma fresh, but the taste has improved over time. There is less complexity than the fresh version, but the simplicity works. It became sweeter, with dark fruits, caramel, and buttersotch flavors backed up by subtle oak. There is a touch of the 90 minute hop flavors in the back, but bitterness has subsided.

4.42/5  rDev +4.5%

12oz bottle poured into a goblet. Bottled on 6/19/09.

A: Deep copper color. Nice head.

S: Grapefruity hop aroma paired with in-your-face maltiness.

T: Excellent. A touch maltier than 90M, but still perfectly balanced. Citrusy hops and honey-caramel malts in harmony.

M: Big and resiny, the way DIPAs should be.

D: DFH does it again. It was skeptical of how an oak-aged strong ale would fit with 90M, but this really is two great tastes that taste great together. I can't put it above 90M, but it's good for a change of pace.

3.98/5  rDev -5.9%

Really excited to see this beer at my local bottle shop.

Poured into a snifter from a 12oz bottle. This beer pours an incredibly seductive clear light brown with a lot of amber red tones. A small head arrives upon pour but dissipates into nothing rather quickly. No lacing.

The smell is a little bit more subdued then I'd prefer. My first whiff discovers a clouded oak scent, followed by a syrupy caramel half full nose. A little bit of grass and some slight alcohol as well.

The taste is so smooth, it tastes like there is zero carbonation in this beer. The lack of carbonation shows how prevalent the malt backing is here. Tons of caramel and 2 row. On the end, hints of lemon, an astringent bitterness, mixed with minimal oak and alcohol. As bad as that last sentence sounds, it works for me. Thanks Sam.

4.43/5  rDev +4.7%

Appearance: A slightly hazy, rich orange body with one finger of off-white head that sticks around a good while and leaves patchy lacing.

Aroma: Lots of bright, citrusy hops throughout, with a sweet caramel base poking through. There are also lots of tropical fruity, spicy, and woody notes to be found (though some of that woodiness may be due to the power of suggestion). Definite notes of alcohol, but not quite as many as you'd expect from a double digit ABV beer.

Taste: An even more complex proposition in the flavor profile. While there are plenty of hops here, but this is hardly what I'd call a hop-bomb. The hops are citrusy, spicy, earthy, and taste almost candied. As for the generous malt backbone, it's sticky sweet caramel all the way. I can detect some nice oakiness towards the end, but it's not all that powerful. Ten percent beers are usually very happy to let you know how potent they are, but in this case the punch is hidden rather well. Overall, this is very balanced for a Double IPA, with the hops evenly matched with the rich flavors from the malt and alcohol. The aftertaste is citrusy, oaky, and slightly boozy.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and smooth with mild carbonation. Dries in the finish nicely.

Drinkability: Ten percent alcohol content and 70 IBUs may not be a recipe for a thirst-quencher, but this is rather drinkable considering.

Verdict: I went in expecting something interesting and satisfying, and that's exactly what I ended up with. While this isn't a big hop-bomb (neither is their 90 Minute), Dogfish Head have crafted a tasty and complex brew here.

4.32/5  rDev +2.1%

A: Dark copper with little to no head, but faint lacing.

S: Good hoppy scents with vanilla and french oak.

T: Comes at you hoppy, but the aging produces a creamy vanilla sugar and oaky flavor.

M: A lightly syrupy finish, does not linger

D: Excellent beer with an excellent scent, complex flavors and overall innovative approach

Burton Baton from Dogfish Head Brewery