Burton Baton - Dogfish Head Brewery

Burton BatonBurton Baton

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: Todd on 12-08-2004

This oak-aged gentle giant has been gaining popularity over the past few years and is now available year-round.

For Burton Baton, we brew two "threads," or batches, of beer: an English-style old ale and an imperial IPA.

After fementating the beers separately in our stainless tanks, they're transferred and blended together in one of our large oak tanks. Burton Baton sits on the wood for about a month.

When enjoying the Burton Baton, you'll find an awesome blend of the citrus notes from Northwestern hops melding with woody, vanilla notes from the oak. The wood also tends to mellow the 10% ABV of Burton, so tread cautiously!

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Burton Baton Alström Bros
4.05/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

According to the Burton Baton label this is a "bled of young and wood-aged double IPA". Okay cool. Sounds interesting.

The APPEARANCE starts off mediocre with a hard pour producing a medium head and chill haze. Head settles to a thing dense head of small bubbles. Color is murky amber. Chill haze doesn't subside...just hazed.

Big malt presence in the TASTE. Hops come through nicely though with some citrus-grapefruit notes and dried-cut-grass. Lots of esters - particularly fruity-apple-like sweetness. High residual sugars.

The SELL is all citrus hops, biscuity carmely malt, and booze.

Finally the MOUTHFEEL is creamy and full finished with warming alcohol. In fact there's some slight alcohol harshness int he back of the throat. It's a bit sticy sweet...in fact I'll say it, it's cloying.

While I found this beer interesting and almost enjoyable it's not very DRINKABLE. Next time I'll split it with someone.

4.13/5  rDev -2.6%

Bottle served in a tulip glass.

A: Pretty dark for the style. A nice rich cherry-brown color with good clarity. Head was robust but retention is a little on the short side.

S: Smell isn't overpowering, but definitely showcases some floral and piney hops.

T: Okay my immediate first thought was...ice cream. This tastes like a hop ice cream to me, but only for about 10 seconds. I think I'm catching some vanilla flavors that may have contributed to my instinct.

M: Smooth and pretty thick. Medium carbonation.

D: I'd say it's pretty drinkable, the high alcohol level is dangerously conspicuous. Very good balance of sweet and bitter flavors that keep you wanting more.

Another great DFH beer.

3.65/5  rDev -13.9%

Beer is a nice coppery amber with a thick white head. Smells of sweet citrus and malt, I also pick up some subtle more winey aromas. Taste is very complex. Bitterness is smooth with a lot of alcohol and vanilla notes from the oak. Very noticeable alcohol flavor, a little too much for me. I also keep getting hints of dried fruit flavors. Really having a hard time tasting any hop flavor, even though the bitterness is definitely there. Lots of bitterness after swallowing and I can feel the alcohol warmth as it goes down. Medium body, but pretty substantial for an IPA. This is definitely a sipping beer.

4.03/5  rDev -5%

Well, it *was* on the Abbey's hand pump...for a full 2 hours. Hand-pulled Burton was pretty nice, though I could only have 1 glass as it was a work night. Thanks to Chris @ Freshbeer for setting this one up.

A - The typical deep brown with great clarity, but with an absolutely sick meringue head. Sadly, in the haste of trying to pour pints for people, some of the beer seemed wasted via foam - but this was a great looking beer.

S - Strong floral, citric hop aroma, partially obscured by the Abbey's copious smoking. Smells much more hoppy than bottled Burton I've had before. It smells a lot like...fresh draft 90 Min. Which would make sense. hehe

T - Some have complained of Burton not being hoppy enough for a DIPA, but this certainly *was* a double IPA. Very well hopped, with a tinge of vanilla from the wood. Much less sweetness than I remember from the bottle. However, it did not come off quite as complex as it does in the bottle. I didn't get any of the vinous flavors I get from the bottle, nor any of the tobacco hop character. It's still a great beer, but this skewed more to typical DIPA territory. For me, it tasted like an oaked 90 Min. Which again, would make sense.

F - A very good, super-full-bodied DIPA, with the added benefit of having a somewhat smooth feel from the hand pump.

D - It's a shame I had a ton of work to do the next day. I could have put away 2 more than I did. I'd have been hurting, for sure.

2.13/5  rDev -49.8%

12 oz bottle, poured into a snifter.

A big beer for sure, and interesting, but big + interesting don't automatically equal greatness. I would love to see a more substantial dose of hops in this one (it is supposed to be a DIPA, after all). Powerfully malty, with plentiful oak, sweet vanilla, fruitiness, booziness and floral notes. Potential to be something special, but needs a serious spike of bitterness (or a new style designation). Pretty much a sugar bomb, just can't get into this at all.

4.38/5  rDev +3.3%

Appearance: Darker than Usual but good dark - A dark Amber/Ruby Tawny almost.

Smell: A bit floral - the opposite of other oak-aged IPA's I've had - they usually tend to smell stronger than they taste but this one is the exact opposite.

Taste: Grapefruit, Honey, hint of gin/pine - One of the smoother/better Oak Aged IPA's I've tasted

Mouthfeel: Smooth Tannins - soft and sweet mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Sipper most definitely - I really enjoyed this beer. I look forward to getting more of it when I travel out of state!

3.73/5  rDev -12%

12 oz bottle poured into a 10 oz snifter (d'oh!)

Pours a surprising shade of rusty red/ruby with a hint of peach. I'm thinking this may be an effect of the glassware, but it is certainly very pretty. Head is soft, small, and not particularly retentive.

Aroma is grapefruit, pine resin, burnt caramel and sweet tangerine, with an enticing hint of vanilla.

Taste opens with creamy vanilla caramel and is gradually layered with candied citrus and then pine. The initial sweetness is undercut by a dry, hoppy, roasty bitterness in the midpalate that strengthens towards the finish. I'm actually surprisingly underwhelmed by this aspect of the beer. Was expecting much fuller flavor and better balancing of bitterness (especially considering the oak aging) which seems to overwhelm the palate later on.

Mouthfeel is medium-full with a solid carbonation. Really good.

Overall, if not for the taste (for most people the most important aspect of the 'tasting' experience) this beer would exceptional.

3.4/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottled date: 1-18-07

Decent appearance. Amber color, not very thick. Pours some beautiful looking head that settles into next to nothing.

The first thing that came to mind upon smelling this was Samichlaus. It smells very similar to me, maybe a mix of Sami and 120 Minute. Lots of malt and dark fruit smells with a hint of honey mustard.

Holy cow, is this sweet. Lots of caramel, fruit candy and BBQ sauce in the flavors. In the mouth, flavors of wood and bourbon hit the palette. I don't know if it's the aging, but you blindfolded someone and gave them a hit of this beer, I can't imagine they'd ever guess it was a DIPA. There is a very nice hop presence on the back end, though.

Feels thick in the mouth, but it's very pleasant still.

I'm not even sure I can finish one of these. It's only 10 percent, but it seems so much stronger and thicker than that. I'd be more apt to guess the ABV was closer to 12 or 13.

I'm not sure how I feel about this beer. Dogfish occasionally wins big (the incredible Palo Santo) and loses big (Festina Peche), but this seems somewhere in the middle. It's a bit like the 120 Minute in that I appreciate what they were trying to do and it's a beer that will certainly delight many beer drinkers. It's not quite my style. I like it, but I wouldn't get a fourzie of this again.

4.72/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Looks reddish amber with some lacing left behind following about one finger of head

S: Great smell - hops bursting out, Fruit coming through in the nose, possibly even a bit of along with some floral hops

T: Lots of hops, citrus, and other fruits - fantastic taste - the bitterness is just enough without overpowering the palate. I may like this better than the 90 minute IPA - great flavor.

M: Very creamy and bubbly - just sort of lingers in the palate and leaves a nice warming sensation in the finish - which I'm sure is due to the high ABV.

D: You know this is a big beer when you start to sip on it. However, you're left wanting more at the end. Fantastic beer.

4.15/5  rDev -2.1%

A - good dark amber color with a nice creamy head and some sediment

S - very caramely and sugary with slight citric aromas

T - smooth sweet caramely taste with some red apple type flavors

M - nice and think and smooth and creamy

D - overly drinkable, very smooth

4.18/5  rDev -1.4%

Pours a clear, amber/caramel color with a short head that falls to a cover while leaving dense but extremely fine lacing.
Smells of a thick, malt sweetness and the DFH piney hops.
The taste is the piney hops, some but not as much malt sweetness as in the aroma and has a finishing bitterness.
Mouthfeel is fairly thick & smooth.
Drinkability is very good. I could happily drink a couple of these 12 ozers but with the ABV I would take my time.

3.9/5  rDev -8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Portsmouth goblet. Bottled 3/30/09

A - Poured a deep, rich copper to mahogony color with a thin half inch off white head that rapidly dissipated. Minimal to no lacing on the glass.

S - Somewhat citrusy hop aroma with woody overtones.

T - Solid, hop forward flavor with some malt to balance, but definitely balanced towards the hops. Definitely detect oak and alcohol in the flavor as well. Wish I had a regular 90 minute to compare this to. As it warms the wood becomes more apparent.

M - Full mouthfeel with good carbonation. As I would expect for the style.

D - The more I drink, the more the oak pushes forward into the flavor. Very nice. Alcohol is definitely present, but doesn't seem like the 10% stated on the bottle. Fairly drinkable for a beer of this alcohol level, but I think one is enough for me in a session. Time to move on to something else.

4.53/5  rDev +6.8%

"Please share it with loved ones and hoard it from the non-believers."

Bottled on 3/30/09

Pours a whiskey color light brown with some ruby and orange highlights.

Fruity caramel aroma. Floral and roasted malts.

Caramel sweetness up front wit toasted malts and caramel. Finishes smoothly with a nice alcohol warmth. This is alot smoother on the palate then 90minute. The oak really mellows it out.

Mouth feel is silky smooth. Caresses the tongue with smoothness and finishes very easy.

This is a hit from DFH in my book. I hope to come by some more of these before they're gone.

3.7/5  rDev -12.7%

bottled 3/30/09

A: Orange tinted light brown color, very much the color of whiskey. About an inch or slightly less of foamy head which dissipates quickly leaving behind a little bit of lacing.

S: Sweet malt and tropical fruits reminiscent of the aroma of 120 min, but with a woody, vanilla, bourbon scent thrown into the mix. Very interesting at first, but as this beer warms up, the alcohol makes it seem overly boozy.

T: There's a lot going on here. I get an immediate hit of oaky wood followed by malt, then hop bitterness with a smokey peat aftertaste. The high alcohol along with the woodiness of the oak aging give the beer notes of bourbon and scotch.

M: Medium body. Appropriate amount of carbonation. However, the alcohol leaves a spicy burn on the sides of the tongue, which I find a bit distracting.

D: While I enjoyed this beer and found it both pleasant and pleasurable, I'm going to have the same opinion I did with the 120 minute: It's a great beer to experience, but not necessarily one I'll be purchasing again anytime soon.

4.2/5  rDev -0.9%

A - a medium brown with a quickly fading white head. Some lacing is present.

S - the floral bite of hop is first with some wood and malt in the background

T - the flavors come so fast and individual that many aren't registered. It starts sweet and finished with the alcohol burn. The sweet is more fruity than sugary. Hop is definitely on the exhale.

M - A little syrupy with a dry finish with a cooling from the alcohol.

D - With the high alcohol and how apparent it is in the taste I drank it slowly, but it was still very drinkable.

4.22/5  rDev -0.5%

The neck proclaims a 3/30/09 bottling date. Poured into an oversized wine glass.

A: Pours an amber or light brown color, whereas many other DIPAs have that bright orange thing going on. This almost looks amber ale-ish. A thin, wispy tan head accompanies. With a vigorous swirl of the glass, the head blossoms-- two-fingers deep, fluffy, delightful looking.

S: The distinct DFH hop scent hits the nose first, followed by some sweet malts and a light oak character. Vanilla and citrus (grapefruit) at certain times too.

T & M: Complex, full, rich hop character. The beer did a lot as it warmed, too. What was consistent throughout was lots of carbonation and an alcohol warmth. While dry, bitter citrus hoppiness was prevalent for the first third, a bready sweetness emerged for the final half. Though the taste character developed throughout, it (somewhat paradoxically) always felt balanced.

D: Whenever I have a 90 min. or Palo Santo, I want another; the BB leaves me perfectly content after one. So in that sense, it's not very drinkable. But from first sip to last it's an engaging, enjoyable process.

Poured into Tulip.

A. Nice frothy 2 finger head when poured. Nice lacing left. Head seems to stick around forever.
Amber/Orange color.

S. Hops- citrus,piney. Malt sweetness. What I can only describe as an oakiness in the background.

T. Balance. More of the citrusy piney hops balanced against a sweet caramel malt. More of the oak/whiskey flavor in the back.

M. Smooth. Medium bodied.

D. One of the more balance DIPA's I have had. Although since it is a mixture I guess that is to be expected. High ABV was hidden nicely.

4.45/5  rDev +5%

Pours amber witha fluffy off-white head. Good lacing down the glass. Grapefruit and woody/grassy hop flavor, very mellow, smooth hop flavor. There are also sweet malt and alcohol flavors. A nice bitterness in the finish, not too strong. It is very delicious. My only complaint is that it is a little on the thick and heavy side.

3.75/5  rDev -11.6%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Chimay goblet.

Appearance: A really cool looking deep, clear, vibrant red color. One finger of head that subsided almost immediately. Little lacing.

Smell: Pine and citrus, and that standard sweetness in the background that all DFH beers seem to have.

Taste: A sharp bite of pine and alcohol immediately, backed by oak. There's some sweetness in the background, but the bitterness lingers for a long time. The alcohol is definitely present in this one. There's something unpleasant about the sweetness in the background, though.

Mouthfeel: Good thickness, but sharp, prickly carbonation.

Drinkability: A sipper, and a solid DIPA. The background sweetness becomes a little cloying after awhile, but this is a characteristic I've found in almost all of Dogfish Head's beers. Can't say I'd want more than one, and I probably wouldn't actively seek it out again.

4.1/5  rDev -3.3%

Poured into a tulip glass.

Very dark, dark amber color with a thin, white lacy head. Little lacing as it goes down.

Very strong, pungent grapefruit hops. Hints of vanilla and wood as it warms but all the way through just super-strong grapefruit. Not that complex but it smells tasty.

Taste is matched to the nose. Pretty much all pink grapefruit and ctirus hops with the grapefruit easily being the dominant flavor here. Some vanilla adds some creaminess to the flavor and mouthfeel and the oak hides in the back a bit, actually getting a little cloying as I get to the bottom of the glass, leaving a very present oaky after-taste that I didn't notice until I was more than halfway through. I'm loving the creamy grapefruit, though. Probably too citrusy for some but this manages to be big and pretty balanced. Just a little boozy but not that noticeable.

Medium-heavy mouthfeel with the oak adding a nice creamy feel to it, toward the end a very bitter aftertaste is left from both the hops and oak. Little carbonation.

I'd like to sit on a few of these for a while and see how the oak mellows out with a year or two on it. It's very good even with the oak but it'd be damn near perfect if that taste in the back end for the last few sips was gone. I'd definitely go for this again.

3.95/5  rDev -6.8%

Bottled 3/30/09.

Appearance - Pours a clear, reddish brown with a thick soapy white head and some splotchy lacing.
Smell - Vanilla, oak and booziness.
Taste - Vanilla, some sugary sweetness and ends with a nice hop bite.
Mouthfeel - Creamy and smooth, this beer is medium-bodied with moderate to light carbonation.
Drinkability - Very drinkable for a beer of this strength, though still not a very sessionable beer.

4.22/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Attractive one finger plus of solid micro-froth, good stickiness and lacing, slow to dissolve. Orange-brown amber in color, noticeably clean and transparent, picture perfect visually. In the nose the juicy pink grapefruit to tangerine citrus gets run down by the caramel, vanilla oak elements, this creaminess also seems to buttress buttery malts and a mix of apricot, cherry, pineapple and date fruit scents, as it warms more pine and molasses comes out. Full-bodied, fluffy carbonation makes it expand rapidly in the mouth, almost overfilled. Very sticky texture in the mouth too, halfway through the glass your mouth pores feel clogged. That said, the momentum in the sweet grapefruit, lime, tangerine citrus as well as the pine sap keeps up the pace. More hoppy here with flowers and wet straw, the oak caramel, molasses tend to blend into the alcoholic whomp. Balanced like a bull in the ring, charges, snorts, charges again. More enjoyable chilled than closer to room temperature.

4.25/5  rDev +0.2%

Crystal clear gold on gold color with a big foamy head about 1 finger.

Smells of perfume and moss first, woody musty oak smell second.

The taste is a little difficult for me to put my tongue on, this is pretty unusual. Caramel covered oak wood with an over-arching mildly bitter resinous quality with a burnt orange peel at the end. This taste lingers longer than most.

Feels foamy at first then thick with sugar, giving it a medium body. The lingering dry bitterness could be an attribute, if that's what you're in to.

Drinkability suffers from the full flavor and medium body and high ABV. That said, I will probably have two.

I will have this again on occasion when it comes around.

4.28/5  rDev +0.9%

Very enjoyable beer, I always enjoy when brewers try to enhance a style and I enjoy trying the different concotions, however I will always go back to the basics.

A=Deep, dark mahogany, with a small tan head.

S=very citrusy grapefruit aroma

T=nice hops flavors up front with some oaky tones later, closer to the 120 than the 90 in my opinion. Not quite the alcohol (given with the ABV) that the 120 had though

M=good, as an IPA should be, as expected

D=good, I could enjoy several of these before calling it quits.

4.35/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into an 8 oz snifter.

A - Reddish-copper in color, with about a centimeter of white head that quickly fades, leaving only a few whisps of tiny bubbles on the surface.

S - A blast of hops. Piney and spicey. I don't get a lot of citrus hops here. Not much malt coming through either.

T - Delicious. It's very similar to their 90 minute IPA, but with a little less roughness around the edges and a very subtle oakiness. Up front, I get a slight sweetness, somewhat more restrained than their 90 minute, and crispness from the carbonation. The flavor then gives way into a toasty caramel/malt flavor, with slight hints of butter and vanilla (from the oak?) which is quickly dominated by the resiny and piney hops. It finishes fairly dry, with hints of astringency and pleasant toastiness.

M - Full bodied and resiny from the hops. A bit of crispness is added by the carbonation, along with a touch of astringency from the oak.

D - This is only subtly different from their 90 minute IPA, but that subtleness adds quite a bit to the drinkability. The malty sweetness of the 90 minute is restrained a bit, which makes it go down easier. I think the toasty notes and mild astringency also balance out the sweetness.

Final thoughts: It's a notch above the 90 minute IPA, which is already a fine product, both in complexity and drinkability, mostly because the oak helps to balance out the malty sweetness.

Burton Baton from Dogfish Head Brewery