1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Burton Baton - Dogfish Head Brewery

Burton BatonBurton Baton

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

This oak-aged gentle giant has been gaining popularity over the past few years and is now available year-round.

For Burton Baton, we brew two "threads," or batches, of beer: an English-style old ale and an imperial IPA.

After fementating the beers separately in our stainless tanks, they're transferred and blended together in one of our large oak tanks. Burton Baton sits on the wood for about a month.

When enjoying the Burton Baton, you'll find an awesome blend of the citrus notes from Northwestern hops melding with woody, vanilla notes from the oak. The wood also tends to mellow the 10% ABV of Burton, so tread cautiously!

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-08-2004)
View: Beers (137) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Burton Baton Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,731 | Reviews: 1,668 | Show All Ratings:
nocheinsbitte

3.63/5  rDev -14.2%

had this from a 12-oz bottle...first time having this bier.

A: Pours a nice rust color that is somewhat translucent. Minimal head that dissipates fairly quickly. Min carbonation.
S: Very maple syrup like. Moderate alcohol smell, but not overpowering, like other higher alcohol beirs. Sweet...can they make a candy out of this??
T: A high alcohol maple syrup taste that is a little much at first, the third sip onwards gets better...gets you used to it.
M: Feels like a combo of bier and scotch in my mouth. A different taste.
D: 1 at a time...

Overall, one of the better higher alcohol biers I have tasted. Usually, I am not a big fan of them, but this one is tolerable and one that I would have again. Enjoy. Prosit.

10-28-2009 01:16:50 | More by nocheinsbitte
ibbjamin

3.63/5  rDev -14.2%

Picked up a loose 12oz bottle from Whole Foods in San Francisco, CA. Poured into a snifter to review.

Quarter inch of off white, tightly-knit head. Darker orange in color. Good lacing.

Balanced hoppy nose. Dank, floral hops with a nice malty backbone.

Quite balanced and rich with some slight booziness letting you know this one is high ABV. Picked up some nice oak quality from the aging, but this was at the expense of a mellowed hop profile. I wouldn't recommend aging this one, even though it states on the bottle it would age well. Aging will push this one even closer to the hoppy barleywine category in my opinion.

Nice relatively thick mouthfeel. Medium to full body and just the right amount of carbonation.

I prefer this to the 90-minute, but both are at the top of the east coast DIPA category.

05-29-2010 01:37:50 | More by ibbjamin
Gyle41386

South Carolina

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Dark amber-orange pour. Small head doesn't last very long. Glass is nicely decorated, though.

Aroma is lots of oak, caramel, vanilla, and light alcohol. So, basically, they nailed the "barrel" part, but there's no real "Double IPA" part.

Flavor is similar. It's very obvious that this is a barrel-aged beer, but it's hard to tell that it's an IPA. The woody flavor is very nice, and I suppose it's a good complement to 90 Minute's already weak hop flavor. I'm not really a huge fan.

Just shy of being full bodied. Nice, slick texture. Chewy, even. Big fan of the mouthfeel. It's an easy drinker. Tasty beer, but not a great IPA, much like 90 Minute.

06-13-2010 04:25:06 | More by Gyle41386
MoreThanWine

3.63/5  rDev -14.2%

Poured a 1" head which dissipated completely. Hazy peach tea color. Smell is classic IPA with citrus and pine. Taste is more of the same and rather rich but tastewise I don't think this was dramatically different from other IPAs on the market. And unless the richness was from the oak aging I didn't otherwise taste the vanilla-like essence of wood aging. All in all a good beer but not a standout IPA. Maybe it was my sample?

03-20-2011 23:21:36 | More by MoreThanWine
mjgooner13

3.63/5  rDev -14.2%

A - Light copper/amber with a hazy slightly off white head which left quickly...decent lacing

S - sweet, a brown sugar/vanilla smell with hints of cherry and picked up some booze as well

T - Syrupy sugar and a bit in your face...not getting any of the cherry taste which I was hoping for and finishs light on the hop

M- mouthfeel was good, wouldn't be difficult to have a few of these

O - A well balanced beer, the only downside was that I was looking for some cherry in the taste that i picked up with the nose...A bit sugary but still a very tasty easy drinking brew...another job well done by dogfish

05-27-2011 13:10:34 | More by mjgooner13
martincm

3.63/5  rDev -14.2%

Great appearance, just like an imperial should look. Nice floral hoppy smell, which are great points but not enough to sell me. The alcohol far outweighed the taste of the malt and hops combined, and was somewhat reminiscent of whisky. Maybe I will give this beer another shot served at room temperature.

08-27-2011 01:37:44 | More by martincm
RollBounce

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Frothy head, classic to darken color, citrus and dust on the nose, rich mouth feel, grapefruit tastes and not over oaked, some of the ABV shows on the pallet.

I like this beer but feel that the 90min is better. More hoppy flavor found on this one here.

02-29-2012 23:14:48 | More by RollBounce
sopor

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Brilliantly clear (filtered) amber with a slightly tan thick head that fills my pint glass. I can smell cloyingl sweet maltiness topped with abrasive hop bitterness. Smells exactly like I expect any DFH IPA to smell, and tastes almost exactly as I expected as well. Cloying syrupy/caramelly sweetness leads the way. A slightly less than balanced bittering makes this hard to qualify as a DIPA IMO. Oak aging is barely evident. Moderate to full body is enjoyable with the right amount of carbonation. Good beer, but not as good as I was hoping for, I think it needs more hops and oak. Since it is 10%, and not what I expected, the drinkability suffered a bit, but I would consider this beer again if I was looking for a sweet slightly hoppy ale, but I might be more likely to pick up 90min.

03-28-2006 15:04:20 | More by sopor
Bierguy5

3.6/5  rDev -14.9%

12 oz. bottle, 10 % ABV. Very clear copper in color. Appears to be a lot of active carbonation. Thick off-white rocky head. Excellent head retention. Citrusy aroma, a bit fruity and woodsy. Very sweet up front, and a bit fruity. Nice citrust hop bite, which seems to be somewhat balanced by the malt. A bit of oak character in the background. Great patches of lace coating the sides of the glass. Nice body. The sweetness kills the drinkability for me. Some lingering bitterness, but the sweetness remains. Alcohol seems well hidden. Not bad, could age well I suppose.

03-01-2007 13:07:42 | More by Bierguy5
malcontent

3.6/5  rDev -14.9%

Crystal clear, deep amber body sporting a decent amount of head and strong lacing for the style.

Strong grapefruit leads into a solidly sweet/malty body bolstered by alluring hints of spice and flowers.

Damn! That oak just doesn't let go. The citrus hops once again lead the charge and have plenty of support in the way of a brown sugar body. That's all before DFH literally brings the wood. Oak, oak and more oak bring an astringent and long, dry finish to the beer. Not a bad thing but I'm not sure the beer really needed it. Still, not as heavy-handed an approach to barrel aging as I've had but I'm still not sold on the barrel aged phenomenon.

Good, thick mouthfeel that surprisingly avoids any oiliness that one might expect from a 10% DIPA. Slight astringency hurts a little but more so in the way of drinkability than mouthfeel. This is a nice one-time sipper. Not sure that I'll exactly be craving another, though.

Thanks to the soon-to-be-missed Dr. Pitz! May you find good beer in the Volunteer State (or at least not get stuck in traffic on the way to Kentucky!).

05-06-2008 03:32:49 | More by malcontent
gameface23

3.6/5  rDev -14.9%

A: Pours orange with a 2 fingered head that leaves great lacing.

S: Butterscotch, piney hops, earthy wood notes from the oak.

T: Caramel sweetness upfront, grassy hops in the middle, and a slight alcohol burn in the finish.

M: Medium to full bodied.

D: It's a strong beer with tons of flavor. I really enjoyed one, but I doubt I'd want another one immediately after.

06-10-2009 00:47:41 | More by gameface23
biggietattoos

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Very malty brew. Nice color and head. Pretty drinkable although it did not hide the alc taste well.

Nice lacing and head.

A bittersweet malt taste.

Overall not my style but I definitely enjoyed it for what it is.

Definitely try this if you like big malty sweet beers. Not much of a hop presence at all.

05-19-2010 07:24:00 | More by biggietattoos
ChadQuest

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I had this beer a few times a few years ago when i first got into craft beers, and thought it was Meh. lets see how my palate has matured. This bottle was filled exactly 60 days ago, not bad for an IPA, even less bad for an aged IPA.

After the pour this beer has good clarity, with it's caramel amber color. Solid lacing too, Above average.
The aroma is really solid. probally the biggest standout feature. the combination of Resinous Pine & Oak, like fresh loamy soil in the PNW, this is a woodsy mountain smelling beer.
The flavors come through in the same woodsy way but with some toffee and sweetness mixed in with the sticky resin. The alcohol is noticable, but i did have to look to see what the percent was, 10% doesn't seem off, but i would have believed 8%. It is warming, i can feel it in the chest more then on the palate.
This one is drinkable more like a big barleywine is, where it's better to take it slow to enjoy it. the carbination is rather biting so that adds to the slow nature of it.

So after a few years, i enjoyed this one more, maybe it was that it was fresher, maybe just me. It is an above average DIPA, better served in the winter, and sipped slow. This would be a good one for hearty pairings, or cold camping trips around the fire.

01-22-2011 05:47:11 | More by ChadQuest
jmarsh123

Indiana

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours a deep orange with a 1.5 finger creamy head.

Obviously at an ABV of this size, there is some considerable sweetness to the aroma. Some citrus rind and pine hops shine through a little bit along with a good amount of oak.

Flavor starts out with some bitter citrus notes. A good amount of caramel malt as well rounded out by a fairly strong oakiness. There is a bit of alcohol sting here as well as it doesn't do a great job of masking the alcohol.

Smooth and silky mouthfeel with medium carbonation levels.

Fairly good, but it's a bit boozier and sweeter than I'd like. The oak does a good job of smoothing out the flavor profile a bit and there is a good balance of malts and hops here.

01-04-2012 23:32:43 | More by jmarsh123
Big_V

Maryland

3.59/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Not sure if I got a bad bottle or what. Purchased from Total Wine Corridor who usually is up on freshness. Not much carbonation, very little if any head. Golden brown in color. Woody, toffee aroma. Way too boozy for me, which is the first thing I noticed. Hard to go down for me but got a little better. Hardly taste anything behind the alcohol. Maybe not my DIPA but, based on all the good reviews I will try it again.

Ok, so it WAS a bad bottle. I knew something had to be wrong with that first one. Bought another single on 4/29. Not too much difference in smell and appearance, but the taste is totally different now. Not boozy like the first one. A good beer, but I won't seek it out.

04-08-2013 13:43:49 | More by Big_V
phisig137

3.58/5  rDev -15.4%

This beer was poured from a 12 oz bottle into a tumbler , revealing a gorgeous orange amber color, with a 1/4" head that lasts a few minutes.

A; Very subdued surprizingly. Slightly hoppy nose, with a hint of caramel sweetness.

T: First sip shows creamy, complex maltiness up front, with a nice somewhat metalic bittering hop finish. Very slight hint of oak.... it's somewhat hard to detect. Well balanced all around.

M: Creamy, thick, chewy and viscous. The taste lingers fow quite a while, and it's very pleasant.

D: As with most high ABV Dogfish Head brews, this beer is dangerously drinkable. I think the alcohol is hidden very well.

I'm glad I had a chance to try this one. Think 1/3 DFH 120 minute mixed with 2/3 DFH 90 minute. I think that's pretty close to the truth.

02-07-2006 01:25:42 | More by phisig137
Atlas1

3.58/5  rDev -15.4%

Boy-o-boy was I excited to try this oak-aged IPA. I'm a fan of almost all-things DFH, so when the Burton Baton hit the shelves this year I grabbed a couple of bottles.

From the 1/08/07 batch, poured into a belgian snifter. Appears a bright amber/orange color with thick, creamy two-finger head. Some thinnish lacing left along the glass as the beer recedes. The smell is sweet, with notes of oak and hops and citrus and pepper. The taste really packs a punch. Crazy malted citrus flavor up front. Think of a juiced-up half-grapefruit, half-raisin on steroids; it strikes under the tongue extremely sharp. But unlike most double IPAs that I've had, the hops never really develop in the finish. I kept waiting for them to attack the back of the tongue and throat, but they never did. The malty sweetness of the beer is almost too overwhelming here, almost syrupy at times; it needs a higher dose of hops (and I've NEVER said that about any DFH brews before) to counter the malt and the oak here. They just seem to take the reigns early, and never really give back control to the hops. Too bad, too, because the Burton Baton has a lot of potential. Still, it's not a bad brew. I've got one in the cellar that I plan on giving a go in about a few months, maybe a year.

02-01-2007 01:41:41 | More by Atlas1
cheers2beers

3.58/5  rDev -15.4%

Served into a pint glass from the bottle.

Appearance: Pours a beautiful full copper color with a sturdy two finger cream colored head. Fairly nice head retention for a beer of 10% abv.

Smell: Very sweet in the nose but I can smell a bit of hop in the form of citrus. Plenty of caramel and wood are present as well. Suprisingly no alcohol is noted for such a big beer.

Taste: EEEKKKK! This is one sweet beer! The massive sweetness is a bit off setting at first but as I relax and really dive in, I discover a nice hop bitterness to help keep me afloat amid the torrent of malt sweetness. Some phenolic spice, astringent alcohol and plenty of citrus are present. This really tastes like a barley wine, big and complex.

Mouthfeel: Very full mouthfeel but the presence of 10%abv helps to lean out an otherwise fat beer. Syrup like stickiness that lingers well into the throat.

Drinkability: I was shocked at such a sweetness for only 10%. That being said, this beer has plenty of flavors to keep a beer geek interested but I don't think I could drink more than one due to its cloying nature. I love Dogfish Head beer and applaud them for producing such a ballsy brew. Cheers!

06-15-2007 02:10:17 | More by cheers2beers
joedon

3.58/5  rDev -15.4%

Pours with a respectable off-white head that quickly disperses into a thin coat of bubbles. Nice, sticky lace.

Strong malt aroma with bread, molasses, hay and very little hops.

The first thing that hits me with the taste is sweetness; almost cloyingly so. Next comes a slight hoppy bitter edge then raisins, dates, molasses and a bit of citrus. I know this is a big beer but the sugary finish is too much for me.

Big body that coats the mouth. A bit on the heavy side. Good sipping beer but I couldn't drink more than about a half-pint at a time.

01-22-2008 01:11:38 | More by joedon
DiabolikDUB

3.58/5  rDev -15.4%

Poured from 12oz. Bottle into Snifter glass.

Pours a medium copper color with an inch of slightly off-white head that dissipates in to a fine ring around the glass. Aroma has sweet malts, slight oak and a touch of booze. Flavors include caramel malt, raisins, a bit of oak flavor and the alcohol has a warming sensation and even more so as it warms up. It has a chewy medium body. This is a nice IPA although for the money I'd say there are other options that I'd rather go with.

05-19-2009 22:45:51 | More by DiabolikDUB
kgs

3.58/5  rDev -15.4%

A: Ruddy amber with a creamy head and some lacing.

S: When not icy-cold the oak comes through a bit, but it's not hugely fragrant.

T: A bit hot, pleasantly caramelish, hoppy but without a distinct hop profile to point to.

M: Creamy, even a bit buttery. Carb felt appropriate for the style.

D: Ok for its ABV.

I wouldn't refuse a freebie, but I won't buy this again. It doesn't stand out in any important way.

04-05-2010 00:19:20 | More by kgs
LikaThaHops

Poured from 12 oz. bottle into snifter

A- Poured an opaque copper color into snifter, while pouring I encouraged head and got a lush 2 finger head that fades away unevenly, leaving a little lace on the glass. sexy.

S- Smells of strong hops and oak, a light alcohol smell towards the back on a deep breath.

T- Exactly what it smells like, though the alcohol is not well hidden. It's a snappy hops bite, soaked in oak, heading right for your throat! There is a fruity smell, just can not put my finger on it. The aftertaste is most pleasant; oaky.

M- Viscous and bubbly, with a sharp bite.

D- With the alcohol content, and sharp bite of this brew, I do believe one here and there would be enough. Good treat to have one of these, definitely not an every day thing.

10-13-2010 01:34:33 | More by LikaThaHops
BdubleEdubleRUN

Bottled to tulip

A - copper, amber, orange, darker then most IIPA's assuming from the barrel, sticky lacing, small off white head.

S - Oak, roasty malt, hops, citrus, cherry nyquil, alcohol

T - wood, hops, citrus, grass, malt, cherry alcohol

M - medium feel, spicy on the lips after

O - A good beer I would defenitly be happy to have more of.

05-19-2011 22:50:32 | More by BdubleEdubleRUN
DarthKostrizer

3.58/5  rDev -15.4%

Thanks to MrVonzipper for this one

Look: Deep orange in color with a 1/2 inch tan head and ok retentin and some lacing

Smell: Piney hops reach up and punch you in the face and the oak works as pillow for you to softly fall back on apart from that not much more on the nose

Taste: The beer starts with the piney hops and then transitions into this weird medicinal like flavor hints of oak and vanilla. Almost taste like eating a sugar coated hop flower. I didnt care to much for it

Mouthfeel: Medium body and high carbonation and a dry stingy finish

Overall: Yet another dogfish head beer I am let down by. This is becoming a trend with their beers. Why do I keep trying their line up? I guess I like being let down...

08-06-2011 22:08:55 | More by DarthKostrizer
corylew

3.58/5  rDev -15.4%

Had a 12 ounce bottle, poured into a DFH perfect pint glass.

Pours dark copper, a little off from perfectly clear with a small white foamy head that disappears just before the beer is finished.

Smells boozy. Roasted malt and sweet, but boozy. Yeah I know it's 10% but a good imperial IPA should taste like, well hops. I didn't get barely any hops.

Taste is good for what it is. Sweet, expected, with a strong malty flavor. The most peculiar thing about this beer is that I get an aftertaste of kiln coffee malt. It tastes like there's a tiny bit of espresso in there or something. Call me crazy, I taste it with every sip.

Mouthfeel is heavy, and not just because it's 10%. It's heavy FOR a 10%. My friend and I split the bottle 6 ounces each, he couldn't finish his and I had a little difficulty putting it all down, and it made my next IPA very refreshing.

Overall, I know I sound like I'm hating on this beer but I wanted to love it and just didn't find it that memorable. A little hard to put down, but the taste was good. Very concentrated.

10-28-2011 04:13:48 | More by corylew