Burton Baton - Dogfish Head Brewery

Burton BatonBurton Baton

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: Todd on 12-08-2004

This oak-aged gentle giant has been gaining popularity over the past few years and is now available year-round.

For Burton Baton, we brew two "threads," or batches, of beer: an English-style old ale and an imperial IPA.

After fementating the beers separately in our stainless tanks, they're transferred and blended together in one of our large oak tanks. Burton Baton sits on the wood for about a month.

When enjoying the Burton Baton, you'll find an awesome blend of the citrus notes from Northwestern hops melding with woody, vanilla notes from the oak. The wood also tends to mellow the 10% ABV of Burton, so tread cautiously!

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Burton Baton Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,815 | Hads: 6,276
3.8/5  rDev -9.1%

Nice dark ruby color that the stronger IPAs tend to have. Smells inviting - sweet and not too obnoxiously hoppy.

The taste is getting toward the sweeter, syrupy side, much like the 120 min, but kind of a step down. I'm not knocked on my ass by the hop character, which is nice. It is seemingly well balanced (as well balanced as an imperial ipa can be) and smoothed out by the sweet malt flavors. Full bodied and mouth-filling.

The best way to catagorize Burton Baton is that its the perfect step between 90 min ipa and the 120 min ipa. I would be very interested to try the three of them in a row, one after another.

3.8/5  rDev -9.1%

Pours deep amber with a thin tan head. Big aroma of caramel, citrus and pine. Oak really comes out in the flavor with starts with a blast of sweeet malts and goes directly to a warming alcohol finish with some bitterness at the end. Alcohol is clearly present. The hops do NOT dominate here, and I would have appreciated a bit more flora and pine character. Still tasty.

3.8/5  rDev -9.1%

Pours two fingers of head on a clear straw body.
The aroma mild alcohol, old grain and wood. Not bad, just not much there.
The taste has excellent balance. A tame mixture of sweet and bitter in the beginning that turns to wood mellowness, and finishes with a slight uptick of bitter.
The texture is smooth with low carbonation.
An outstanding ale. I wish it had a bit more on the aroma side though.

3.8/5  rDev -9.1%

Poured from the bottle into Duvel tulip.

A--Dark amber with a huge (2-3 finger) thick, foamy head. Good lacing as the head faded away somewhat quickly.

S--piney hops, brown sugar, oak, vanilla. Definitely some booze coming through as well, but pleasantly.

T--Sharp hops up front, followed by the oak and some oily sweetness, then bitter. Finishes like boozy plum/raisin.

M--a bit oily and thick, which I really like, not a lot of carbonation coming trough.

O--Solid overall. Curious to see what aged and super fresh versions would taste like - seems this one is in the middle and would've been better either younger or older.

3.8/5  rDev -9.1%

Due to the unseasonably cold weather, infact the coldest day in '08 since February, I decided to indulge in this '07-'08 bottle.

The hazy orange hue is only cut by the highlights of copper and gold in this brew. Reminds me of a cask ale. A thin, tight head sits atop. Aromas of american oak, candied citrus and english malts all come together.

At 10%, the alcohol is completey void hidden beneath the layers of resiny wood and malt. Moderate carbonation brings back the citrusy hops and exaggerated oak flavors, void of any alcohol heat. Slightly viscous, not quite dry, this aged brew dances on the boarderline with it's medium to full body. It's drinkability is only hindered by its rich, flavorful complexity.

This beer is to be savored and enjoyed. This beer's layers of flavor are quite symbolic, they will be able to warm you on a bitter cold evening. If you've been saving this beer, I would encourage you to pour it now.

3.8/5  rDev -9.1%

Love an opportunity to drink a Dogfish beer I haven't yet tried.

Poured into a thistle glass - becoming my new favorite glass for any IPA style.

Reddish-orange clear pour with a light head. Smells a little like Redpop with a little vanilla cream thrown in. May have been my nose, but I didn't detect a strong fragrance.

Tastes a bit like it smells. Bitterness from start to finish - lingers for longer than I prefer. Bitterness on the dry side, not getting much hop note with the bitterness.

Like all of their beers I have tried, this beer feels good to drink. I could sip through a couple no problem. No need to do more than that.

I little disappointed, not sure if I will get again.

3.8/5  rDev -9.1%

Poured a deep ruby red amber with a small head, a little lace that faded into a nice coating with eddys and swirls embedded in the bubbly lace, lingered to the last drop. Smell was sweet, very very sweet. Candy apple, caramle, cherry were all over this and predominated. Slight hop back detected and a tiny bit of alcohol. The taste followed the same route with the huge candy sweetness predominating some other hints of apple, cherries, grapes. Some alcohol, but it is mostly balanced by the robust flavors. Goes down very smooth, light and crisp. Tingles and warms as it goes. Carbonation is not overly done though. Overall this is a very nice brew, a little too sweet

poured into a tulip

beer is a dark orange/copper color. A HUGE amount of head in this beer...about 3-4 fingers worth (head actually overflowed from the top) of off-white head. After settling I have about a fingers worth now but some very thick lacing stuck to my glass.

A huge malt bomb. Like an IPA that has been on the shelf for too long, however this is obviously appropriate for being a barrel aged DIPA. Caramelly malts with a touch of booze and spice are the dominant aromas in this beer. Just a slight hop presence, but mainly a "dead" hop aroma. As it warms up the oak and booze aroma because more prevalent.

A fairly sweet tasting beer. Almost like burnt caramel or creme brulee with a fairly big boozy bite and slight bitterness. Some subtle spiciness in this beer as well. Same as aroma, as it warms up a a little more of the oak flavor comes out. For being 10%, the booziness is a little too prevalent for my tastes. I'm not really a fan of BA IPAs/DIPAs but this is adecent tasting beer

medium bodied with huge amounts of carbonation. A little sugary/syrupy feel to this.

Overall it's a good beer, but I wouldn't go out of my way to have one. As said earlier, BA IPAs aren't really at the top of my wants list. I prefer fresh IPAs with a lot less maltiness to them. Hops should be the dominant aroma in a DIPA, not sweet malts.

3.8/5  rDev -9.1%

Slightly murky orange-amber with a thin white head that remains. Good lacing.
Smell is very floral hops with some sweet malts. Pineapple and tangerine, with some faint, very ripe banana. Definite oak presence.
Taste is more malty than on the nose, with the hops being very subdued. Mild bitterness comes in halfway and fades out quickly, with the oak coming in. Faint fruits (grapefruit, banana).
Mouthfeel is pretty flat and even a bit watery. Very low carbonation. Little heat from the alcohol on the way down.
Drinkability is decent considering the ABV. The alcohol is well-hidden, but I'd prefer one bottle at a time.

3.8/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I had this on tap at Meddlesome Moth in Dallas, TX. Not really a big fan of Dogfish head, but it sounded intriging. I really like the flavor on the back end , but the front end was "soapy" - not sure if it was the beer, or some other issue.

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A: Pours a red/amber with about one full finger of slightly off-white head. The foam lingers for a minute or so, leaving a bubbly ring along the edges of the glass.

S: The nose is bitter hops, malt, alcohol, and mild vanilla. It smells almost exactly like I would have imagined it to. 90min IPA aged on oak.

T: The beer starts out with sweet malt, and mild oak. The hops join the party a bit after, but the mixing flavors remind me a bit of pine-sol. The flavors aren't bad, it's just a bit off putting. The alcohol is pretty well hidden, but I can still taste it after the beer is gone.

M: Full bodied beer. This thing is sticky, a bit boozy and drying, and pine-sol-y.

O: Not my favorite thing in the world. But... It's not the worst either. If you like 90min or 120min, then give this beer a shot. If you don't care for those beers, then skip this one. I don't see myself buying this again anytime soon.

3.8/5  rDev -9.1%

12 oz bottle poured into a 10 oz snifter (d'oh!)

Pours a surprising shade of rusty red/ruby with a hint of peach. I'm thinking this may be an effect of the glassware, but it is certainly very pretty. Head is soft, small, and not particularly retentive.

Aroma is grapefruit, pine resin, burnt caramel and sweet tangerine, with an enticing hint of vanilla.

Taste opens with creamy vanilla caramel and is gradually layered with candied citrus and then pine. The initial sweetness is undercut by a dry, hoppy, roasty bitterness in the midpalate that strengthens towards the finish. I'm actually surprisingly underwhelmed by this aspect of the beer. Was expecting much fuller flavor and better balancing of bitterness (especially considering the oak aging) which seems to overwhelm the palate later on.

Mouthfeel is medium-full with a solid carbonation. Really good.

Overall, if not for the taste (for most people the most important aspect of the 'tasting' experience) this beer would exceptional.

3.8/5  rDev -9.1%

Very cloear copper colour- surprisingly so. Perhaps quite filtered. Not much head to speak of, some minor lacing. Smell- smells quite sugary. Taste- very sweet wtih the woods fairly pronounced. Medium cabonation. Slightly boozy with caramel and doughy malts in forefront. The hops are more herbal and grassy than bitter citrus. It finishes decently though- not too much cloying sweetness on the finish. The vanilla and wood really shows up on the finish too. Hops are kind of an afterthought in this beer. Drinkability is decent- it is a slow sipper. Quite enjoyable, not an every day beverage.

3.79/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Had this at Firkin poured off of a nitro tap into a snifter

A- Pours a clear orangish-red color with one finger of off white head. Left some nice lacing on the glass.

S- Smell is of hops as well as roasted malts and oak. Expected more of a bitter pine aroma considering it is a DIPA, but it didn't smack me in the face.

T- Taste is more sweet and fruity than bitter. Good malt flavors, but I was a little disappointed by the lack of hop bite.

M- Medium bodied, smooth and sticky mouthfeel. The oak aging makes it easy to drink. Alcohol is well hidden here.

O- A tasty brew that I did enjoy, but not all that much like a DIPA. Easy drinking and full of great flavor, but didn't blow me away.

3.79/5  rDev -9.3%

Picked up a 12oz single the other day from Holiday Wine Cellar. I've been happy to see various off-centered ales drifting all the way across the coast and into my fridge lately.

Poured right from the fridge to my glass and presents with a tight and lasting single finger light tan head layer. Body appears amber/orange with a bit of visible carbonation.

First nose if of that familiar DFH sweet, strong malt presence. Very 90 min like, but definately sweeter. Hops are very pungent and carry that sharp cirtrus/pineapple quality.

The taste is of a strong IIPA. Mouth-dominating hops. My tongue is gentley covereved completely by this piney, resiny hop flavor.

This is a very fresh representaion of Burton Baton (bottled 3/1/10) and I would love to try one with some age next to it. I think a bit of time, 1+ year, would morph the qualities here a bit and meld the sweetness into something a bit more drinkable. Still a decent beer, but nothing I would drink in quantities greater than 1. I'll be back.

3.78/5  rDev -9.6%

Bottled 06/19/09 consumed on 10/11/09 and 10/12/09 with notes from both dates. 12oz bottle poured into a tulip. Normally I wouldn't review an IPA this old but the label reads: "Ages with the best of them" so here we go...

Clean dark amber body. Forms a very dense, thick, and creamy light tan head. Retention is mediocre but leaves some nice lacing.

Aroma is very sweet and is ruled by oaky vanilla and caramel notes. Very faint citric hop bite has managed to survive but is mostly hidden in the background.

Flavor is also quite sweet. The vanilla and caramel from the aroma are joined by some brown sugar and the fruity malt backbone of the base beer DFH 90 minute. This didn't seem to pick up any wood tannin bitterness from barrels, just the softer vanilla notes that have already been mentioned. You really have to search but there is an understated citrus and slightly herbal hop presence in here. With all the sweetness I'd never guess this brew started as a DIPA though.

The strength of this beer is in its drinkability. Virtually no alcohol heat which is pretty impressive for a 10 % beer. Second bottle went pretty quickly.

Overall, while a good beer, I'm not sure I'm quite sold on the idea of an aged DIPA. Even though I understand they blend fresh 90 minute with the aged version I really feel like it's already lost it's identity as a DIPA at only four months old.

3.78/5  rDev -9.6%

A: Lovely copper color with foamy head.

S: Very inviting. Notes of the base malt, and just hints of hop aroma. I had to try hard to smell the oak.

T: Like many other bottles that say IPA, this does not seem to be one. The hop character and aroma is far too faint for a definitive IPA. I am not saying this beer isn't good by any stretch of the imagination. It has good character from the malt and hops, and the oak taste comes through at the end.
(Three Months Later): I don't know what I was thinking. I am drinking one from the same 4-pack now, and it has great citrusy hop flavor. Not faint at all.

MF: Nice

D: At $13 a 4-pack, I am unlikely to get any more. This is a good beer that may get a better drinkability score if it were not so pricey. I have drank many beers at this price that I would recommend over this one.

3.78/5  rDev -9.6%

12oz bottle into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass. Bottled 3/1/10.

A - Reddish-amber color when held to the light, two fingers of cream-colored head that took 10 minutes to recede to a patchy cap. Scattered lacing around the glass as it went down.

S - Citrus-y hops at first, then for some reason I get just an impression of berries, followed by plenty of oak, with maybe a hint of vanilla at the end.

T - When cold, it just seems like another pretty good IPA, with hops hops hops in your face. The base flavors remind me of the maltiness of 90 Minute, which is not a huge surprise. As it warms up you get notes of the oak, a bit of toffee and vanilla, and perhaps some caramel. Alcohol seems fairly well hidden.

M - Medium-bodied, lingers on the tongue and the back of your throat. Not quite chewy but close. Carbonation is right.

D - At 10% abv, I'm starting to feel this one about halfway through. Coupled with the oakiness, I might be able to have one more but then I'd probably be done.

Overall - Good but not outstanding. The barrel gives it an interesting slant, but I'm not entirely convinced that it pairs really well. It's not really enough of a departure from the old standby, 90 Minute, to convince me to keep buying it. This one was pretty fresh, so I'll sit on the rest of the pack to see if a year or two brings about any perceptible changes.

3.78/5  rDev -9.6%

12oz bottled dated 12/19/05 (9 months old)

Cloudy at first, but became a very clear deep amber as it warmed.

Very yeasty aroma and a slight sourness that dissapated after sitting for 15 minutes. A slight oakiness starts to come through as it warms.

Taste is much like the aroma with the addition of sweetness and slight flowery hop. Very little bitterness.

I remember this beer being more complex and woody when I first bought it. The hops have really subsided (too much IMO). I won't lay this down as long next time.

3.78/5  rDev -9.6%

Sent to me as a mixed-six from a friend on the east coast.

Cloudy amber tan, with a finger of creamy head, staggering some of it behind with each drink.

Fresh, of light citrus and some meadowy florals on the nose. The oak is tucked in the background, but noticable, adding some body to the nose.

That's unique - definitely more distinctive between the threads than I'd assumed. Some nice citrus/florals, coupled in parallel with the depth of the oak sitting on a bed of biscuity maltiness, which adds some spicy woodiness.

The carbonation is a little much for me, prompting the spiciness to push forward, being a bit forceful.

Good beer, with some really distinctive characteristics - the threads especially so. Not sure I'd enjoy a full six of it though.

3.78/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

a: This was a clear ruby/copper color. It poured with a big frothy eggshell white head. Tons of lace and good retention.

s: Big fresh pine forest hops and some moderately sweet caramel malts balance out nicely. There was some woody alcohol and vanilla as well.

t: Sweet caramel malts and vanilla start thing off. Some piny hops come next leading into an overly alcoholic finish with some wood flavors.

m: Fantastic frothy carbonation and a nicely viscous body.

d: This was very good, just a bit too sweet and alcoholic. Almost a great one from DFH.

12 oz brown bottle.

Pours a deep amber color with nice fluffy 1 finger head that dissipates into a small bubbly ring around the glass.

Smells of caramel, sweet malt, some wood character, slight citrus hop aroma. I wasn't ready for the lack of hops in the nose. Not a bad thing.

Tastes of caramel sweetness, mid range hop character, some fruitiness, a big boozy flavor, and some wood. This is a big beer.

Rich, full, sticky, hefty.

The bigness & sweet flavor make this a one bottle adventure for me. Drinks like a barleywine.

Enjoyable off centered beer experience. Keep at it Dogfish Head.

3.78/5  rDev -9.6%

A_Pours a nice clear sienna hue with a smallish head that manages to stay there for the hour or so I take to consume the whole thing.

S_Rather light on the smell. There are notes of caramel and a raw grain. Hops are almost non-existant.

T_There still isn't much in the way of hops but this is tasty. Leans towards the sweet as in caramel and honey. There is a slight bitterness which comes in to even out the party but what really does it for me is the slight sourness. A slight hint of smoke resonates in the followthrough which was not expected. Perhaps the wood they use is smoked? The aftertaste is rather astringent and leads to some mouth puckering. The alcohol is clearly present but is not harsh at all.

M_On the border of sticky syrup but not quite there as the carbonation breaks it up a bit.

D_I am actually really enjoying this though I would not label it as an 2xIPA which is the only thing that depreciates the score. An intriguing brew that I would highly recommend.

3.77/5  rDev -9.8%

12oz bottle, Bruery tulip, bottled 10/14/10.

The color is a lightly hazed deep peachy orange with a persistent light tan head. It looks much like the 2011 Bigfoot I had last night.

Aromas of subdued hoppiness with a big sugary toffee malt body. Vanilla, peach, brown sugar, floral, and mango. The oak is definitely there giving the sweetness some depth.

Strong vanilla at the beginning trails through the whole sip, followed by floral and citric hop. It comes down to a moderate hop bitterness and tannic oak with solvent in the finish.

Carbonation is too low to make the flavors pop. This is still supposed to be an IIPA, not a Barleywine. The body is syrupy.

The alcohol is well disguised behind what seems like a high FG and the oak. This might be better aged because it isn't all that hoppy.

3.77/5  rDev -9.8%

This bottle was dated 8/13/10, so it's roughly five months old. It says it ages with the best of them so let's see. It pours a muddied dark amber in color with a one finger off white head, and little sediment. The aromas have certainly faded. There is virtually no hoppyness at all. It wreaks of sweet malt and that's all I can really pick up. The flavor is good but not what it is when it's fresh. It's a nice blend of hops and sweet malt. The hops have faded and it's sweeter than normal but it doesn't really take away too much. It's still pretty good. It tastes more like the Squall right now. It drinks like it's from one of their 750s. It's exceptionally smooth with little carbonation. Because the beer is pretty subdued, this is perfect. This beer is a very drinkable Imperial IPA. I highly recommend it.

Burton Baton from Dogfish Head Brewery