Burton Baton - Dogfish Head Brewery

Burton BatonBurton Baton

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: Todd on 12-08-2004

This oak-aged gentle giant has been gaining popularity over the past few years and is now available year-round.

For Burton Baton, we brew two "threads," or batches, of beer: an English-style old ale and an imperial IPA.

After fementating the beers separately in our stainless tanks, they're transferred and blended together in one of our large oak tanks. Burton Baton sits on the wood for about a month.

When enjoying the Burton Baton, you'll find an awesome blend of the citrus notes from Northwestern hops melding with woody, vanilla notes from the oak. The wood also tends to mellow the 10% ABV of Burton, so tread cautiously!

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Burton Baton Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,794 | Hads: 6,203
4.7/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz. bottle, poured into a snifter. From notes taken at the DFH Alehouse in Falls Church.

A: Pink-grapefruit-tinged dark copper, a truly unique color. Decent off-white head layer, not much lacing.

S: Vanilla, caramel and butterscotch, grape, mandarin orange and light citric scents, overall a very complex, winey. sweet smell, tempered by a slight tickle of citrus. The grape and butterscotch really come out as it warms up.

T: Wow, it's very thickly layered. Vanilla, caramel and butterscotch flavors lend a chewy sweetness to the brew, and the grape I smelled asserts itself with a kind of ice-wine-esque character that heightens with the temperature. Hops are there, mostly orangey and grapefruity, lending some IPA character to what really tastes more like an oak-aged barleywine. Sort of reminds me of a lighter, less cloying version of some of the Lees' Harvest Ale offerings. Very complex--odd that it is listed as having the 90 Min. as a component, as the oak-aging and English characteristics have made this almost unrecognizable as a cousin to that brew.

M: Despite the thick, chewy nature of the flavors, this is neither syrupy nor cloying. It's certainly a meal of a beer, but it would just make the four-pack last longer. Nice balance of big malty sweetness with highly comfortable feel.

D: It's a sipper, but it sure is a good 'un. Glad I ordered it. (1,371 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +0.5%

I love this beer. Not being a huge fan of super-hopped IPAs, the caramelly, butterscotched flavors of Burton Baton are great. Though I can understand that people expecting more of a hop-punch will be disappointed or have a blah reaction. This almost ventures into dessert-wine territory. I'm going to save four bottles of this stuff and try it out in a year or two. (365 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

ST: A 12 oz bottle poured into a Westmalle glass goblet.

A: A nice reddish hue. Gold tones.

S: Sweet fruits, flowers, a nice sweet aroma.

T: Smooth, nothing like an IPA. Spices, fruits, a wonderful taste, the oak aging really does wonders for this brew.

M: Smooth, creamy, very nice.

D: One i would order on a regular basis, a good crossover beer for that friend who is getting in to craft/micros.

Dogfish Head is becoming a favorite of mine.... (452 characters)

2.08/5  rDev -50%

I really really really wanted to like this beer...
Huge fan of IIPA and Dogfish head...

I haven't had to pour a beer down the sink in years..

Way too sugary, way too sweet. Hops don't even really make it through.
This beer killed my taste buds. I had to stop drinking after I had it and it gave me a headache, probably from all the sugar. As I let the beer swirl over my tongue, I could taste the bourbon.

Maybe I had the wrong impression of what this was going to taste like. I tried, even let it sit out for a bit hoping that as it warms, it would become more palatable.

I will put the other 3 bottles down.... for a LONG time... maybe that will calm the sweetness. (675 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -11.1%

I received two of these in what has turned out to be a personal BIF between myself and Sudsdog. I finally got around to drinking this one and the other is buried deep in the closet for ageing.

A: Pours a nice amber red color with little to no head. It is a very thick looking brew that despite the minimal head does manage to leave behind a little lacing.

S: Very sweet smelling with notes of rock candy, malt, and a touch of oak. This baby has the aroma of good peanut brittle.

T: Not at all what I expected. It is very sweet and creamy initially. You are hit with a huge rush of lightly spiced brown sugar with a dash of vanilla. A maltiness is then noted with a mild hint of oak. What I don't taste is the hops of the 90 min used to brew this one. Wish it could have finished or started for that matter with a rush of bitter piney hops. Bitter sweet would have made this brew.

M: This is a thick brew no doubt about it. I started drinking it a little on the cool side which may have thickened it up a bit, but by the time I was finished and it had warmed the beer was still rather thick in body.

D: Due to the sweetness I could only drink one.

Overall: Unique. This beer is not at all what I expected. Very sweet and malty... Are you sure there is 90 Min IPA in here. Short of the lack of hops it is still enjoyable though. There are a lot of flavors that come at you in a rush and in waves. It's a complex brew that hides the ABV very nicely.

I will age my second one and see how it comes out. Next time around I will know what to expect with this one and the review may be a few points higher.

The bottle says to share it with loved ones and hoard it from non-believers. Well I am a believer in all that DFH does, so Sudsdog thanks for sharing. (1,773 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -15.9%

Note: Overall scores averaged.

Aged version = 4.2 overall
Three years in, and it's my best aging success story ever. Then again, it had nowhere to go but up.
Slightly muddied in apperance. And not much head.
The aroma is vanilla toffee, dried apricots and dates, wood, and Sherry.
Taste is all buttery-vanilla-caramel-toffee dried fruits- mainly dates and figs. A touch of booze and wood gives another nod towards Sherry.
Full modied, with some CO2 teasing out.
After 3 years, this is a nice barleywine, with a notable flourish of wood aging. Alcohol is toned down. The hops are phased out entirely, and that's fine, as this was always a poor excuse for a DIPA. Kudos on the improvement. I never thought I say this, but I'll probably buy this again...when I'm feeling very, very patient.

But when fresh, it's a nuke (overall score 2.2, see below):

Dark copper hued with a thin yellowed foam.
Nose of fallen pine needles, cardboard, maple, and dark spiced rum. The booze quotient is so noticable as too distract form everything else. There is also as dried notion of manure to further distract and detract.
Enters the mouth full of burnt corn syrup and brown sugar and melted rubber. Sticky, and a bit nauseating. Then it gets worse. Hops add cooked cabbage. Barrel-aging adds burnt butter. Diacetyl and DMS are always factors in DFH brews, but most overcome, while this wallows in them. There is no off-setting bitterness to the stagnant burnt malt or the off-flavors.
Syrup textured. This presents more as an old ale than anything IPA-related. As such, it is still an utter chore, and fatally flawed.
In not as big a fan of 90 Minute as most, but damn, I wish I had one now instead of this.
I love the concept here, but loathe the execution.
Really hideous. (1,766 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +1.7%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle with a "bottled on" date of 01/08/07. Leaves a one finger tan-hued head, and has some retention, as well as some spotty lacing. Body is a clear, orange-tinted copper. Also, it seems to be very effervescent.

Smell - apples, butterscotch, some vanilla. No real aroma of hops, which seems weird given the style. Nonetheless, the aroma is mouthwatering.

Taste - exactly as the nose indicates, still not getting much hops in taste, or in aromatics. There is delicious maltbread sweet rolls laced with apples and vanilla, and some spicy alcohol, but no hops.

Mouthfeel - medium bodied, and at times syrupy.

Drinkability - this is good ale. The high abv limits sessionability. If you are looking for a DIPA, you may be a little let-down, as the barrel-aging seems to almost utterly mellow out the hops to a non-entity, even as a bittering agent - but..., nonetheless this is a good big beer to sip and enjoy. (942 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -8.7%

Very cloear copper colour- surprisingly so. Perhaps quite filtered. Not much head to speak of, some minor lacing. Smell- smells quite sugary. Taste- very sweet wtih the woods fairly pronounced. Medium cabonation. Slightly boozy with caramel and doughy malts in forefront. The hops are more herbal and grassy than bitter citrus. It finishes decently though- not too much cloying sweetness on the finish. The vanilla and wood really shows up on the finish too. Hops are kind of an afterthought in this beer. Drinkability is decent- it is a slow sipper. Quite enjoyable, not an every day beverage. (594 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -7.5%

I bought this 12 ounce bottle at Capone's Restaurant in Norristown, Pa.
Appearance: Pretty carbonated, a brown body with an dark eggshell head. The head was only a couple of fingers tall, and left not much lacing and disapated rather quick.
Smell: A sweet, tart, boozy aroma. I was a bit suprised at the alcohol smell with "only" a 10% ABV.
Taste: Very sweet and boozy, not as tart as the aroma. Very intense, and not as hoppy as I was expecting from a DIPA from DFH.
Mouthfeel: Very very smooth and syrupy.
Drinkabilty: Good.
Don't drink and review. (556 characters)

Rich amber color / clear / large head pretty good retention

Medium sweet malt / tart hops

Really sweet malted barley / mild metallic head taste / finishes dry / notable alcohol tastes, warmth, and thickness / tart hops – floral and a little citric / roasted chocolate and toasty warm malt / woody bitter flavor – perhaps from oaking

Thick smooth body / medium carbonation

Powerful ale, lots of malt and hops. Incredibly sweet – but balancingly hopped. I like it. Good sipper. (491 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Service Temp. 50 degrees. 16oz German Balloon Glass straight from the bottle used in the judging. Tasted 7/15/2007

With a deep orange & hazy appearance the beer lends itself to a mild head retention with a cobweb of white lace moving slowly down the glass.

Swirling the glass and applying the aroma to my nose I detect mild to medium oak intermixed with a nice honey sweet maltiness & some piney hops.

Sipping this I detect a hint of sharpness coming off, as well some spice mixed in with a little bit of raisins and alcohol stringency.

Mouthfeel comes off a little thick but overall doesn't drown the pallete or my tounge.

Overall impression, a nice Imperial to consume on a evening at dusk during the fall months. (733 characters)

3.74/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer poured a copper/orange color with a light head. The aroma is of malt and caramel with the hops noticeable in the background. The taste is sweet and malty with not as much hop flavor as I expected – slight bitter aftertaste. The mouthfeel is full and a bit oily. Overall this is an interesting beer that is complex, but perhaps a little too sweet for more than one in a session. (388 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -21.2%

For me, this was an example of too much of a good thing, pumped up with so much that it just couldn't carry the burden. Heavy mouthfeel, bordering on syrupy. Powerfully sweet malt wrestled with a blunt hops attack. A bit of burn from the ETOH. Not a badly made beer, by any means, but the volume was turned up too high. (319 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -2.6%

Appearance: Quite clear pale copper in color, with a small, persistent white head, scattered lacing, and slight carbonation.

Aroma: Pronounced herbal hop presence, with a slight note of old cheese, caramel malt, and strong, sweet alcohol.

Taste: Deep flavors of sweet caramel malt from start to finish. The hop presence is rather mild, almost to the point of being understated, finishes with a mild, but lingering herbal hop note. There are subtle oak notes, the alcohol note is utterly concealed.

Mouth feel: Smooth, soft, almost syrupy, very full.

Drinkability/notes: Superbly crafted, as are all Dogfish Head products, well worth a try. (651 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

12oz bottle purchased about a month ago at Jim's Homebrew in Spokane for $4.61.No freshness date.

Poured an orangey-copper color with a big, creamy off-white head that took it's time settling. Thick sheets of lace adorn the sides of my EWU pintglass.

The first smell that hops out is the oakiness. This is coupled with a spicy hoppiness. As the beer warms the oakiness seems to recede and things begin to smell more balanced.

The taste is unlike any IPA I've ever had - sweet, but in a way that seems to work. There are bittering hops at work that balance the sweetness out and provide a dry finish. I don't doubt that this might seem a bit cloying if I were to consume multiple pints, but this makes an excellent sipper.

This has a relatively oily mouthfeel. Medium bodied.

This made an excellent nightcap, but I don't think I would want to consume several in a sitting, due to both the high abv and sweetness, whihc might be disagreeable in a large quantity. One of the most interesting beers I've had in a while, and I'd buy it again to serve as a nightcap or dessert beer. (1,095 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -13%

I probably went into this review with a slight prejudice. I love oak aged beers. Aroma was nutty, dark chocolate, mild coffee, but not very hoppy. Of course it had a large oak aroma as well as some vanilla. Small creamy head that disappeared. Flavor bordered on that of a barleywine rather than a DIPA. One can tell this is DFH beer - sweet. Almost too sweet. I've set quite a few aside to age for a year or two. (412 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -1%

Served from a 12 oz bottle poured into a Duvel tulip from a year of cellaring.

Appearance: Rich amber in color with shades of ruby, looks like a glass of strong iced tea. A small off white head tops the beer and fades quickly to a wispy lacing topping the beer. Tiny streams of carbonation bubbles race to the surface.

Smell: Hints of caramel and brown sugar with an underlying fruitness. Slightly oaky with a just a wiff of alcohol.

Taste: Starts with a nice fruitiness, raisins come to mind along with a touch of apricot. Big malt backbone with plenty of dark brown sugar and molasses in the middle. Hops show in the finish but not in a big way, only slightly bitter. Pretty dry finish which could be caused by the oak. Slight hint of alcohol but that is to be expected for a 10% abv beer.

Mouthfeel: Rich and creamy, full bodied, nicely carbonated.

Drinkability/Notes: A pretty malty DIPA, not quite what I was expecting considering I've had this beer previously. It definitely mellowed out since the 1st time I tried this. Hops are very subdude but in a good way. Plenty of molasses and brown sugar with the oak playing a nice roll. Alcohol is present in the nose and the flavor profile but its not overwhelming. All in all a really well crafted beer. I would almost consider this a barleywine instead of a DIPA but who cares, its still a damn fine beer. Definitely a beer to savor and one I will buy again. Seek and enjoy, highly recommended. (1,463 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +7.5%

120z bottle poured into a snifter glass from the Dogfish Head Alehouse in Gaithersburg, MD. It has been aging for about 8 months so says the bartender.

Beautiful amber haze when out of the bottle. very thin beige color head. No stick on the glass.

Very powerful floral aroma. Fruit and toasted malts are present as well but very subdued.

Possibly the smoothest beer I have ever had. Ever. Big malty taste followed by floral notes again. A rather subdued hop flavor but you can still tell that they are there. On the other end are lots of fruit flavors, mango and peachs come to mind. You can also begin to taste the big alcohol note when it warms up.

A wonderful brew through and through. Had it with Brats and I thought I died and went to beer heaven. Will definitly pick this one up again. The label says to "...hoard from the non-believers." And that is exactly what I plan to do. (895 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -13.5%

Served into a pint glass from the bottle.

Appearance: Pours a beautiful full copper color with a sturdy two finger cream colored head. Fairly nice head retention for a beer of 10% abv.

Smell: Very sweet in the nose but I can smell a bit of hop in the form of citrus. Plenty of caramel and wood are present as well. Suprisingly no alcohol is noted for such a big beer.

Taste: EEEKKKK! This is one sweet beer! The massive sweetness is a bit off setting at first but as I relax and really dive in, I discover a nice hop bitterness to help keep me afloat amid the torrent of malt sweetness. Some phenolic spice, astringent alcohol and plenty of citrus are present. This really tastes like a barley wine, big and complex.

Mouthfeel: Very full mouthfeel but the presence of 10%abv helps to lean out an otherwise fat beer. Syrup like stickiness that lingers well into the throat.

Drinkability: I was shocked at such a sweetness for only 10%. That being said, this beer has plenty of flavors to keep a beer geek interested but I don't think I could drink more than one due to its cloying nature. I love Dogfish Head beer and applaud them for producing such a ballsy brew. Cheers! (1,186 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -21.6%

Pours a beautiful copper color with a creamy light brown tinged head.

Lots of toffee, caramel, and oak in the nose. Not really a whole lot of hop aromas.

Holy crap this is a sweet beer. Caramel and whiskey dominate the palate. Some oak and rose like floral hop flavors present as well.

Smooth creamy mouthfeel with nice carbonation lightly tickles the tongue. It was hard to put 12 oz. of this stuff down because of the sweetness. Might be interesting to age a bottle and enjoy in the Winter, but I found it hard to drink. (534 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -19.5%

I have mixed feelings about this beer. Dogfish describes this beer as "a blend of oak-aged English strong ale and our 90 Minute I.P.A." I love their 90 Minute IPA, but was not as keen on this beer. It had a sweet quality similar to (while certainly not as extreme) Avery's The Beast Grand Cru.

Poured a 12oz. bottle into a tulip glass.

Appearance - Honey amber in color with a 1 finger foam head that quickly dissipates. Leaves a decent amount of lacing behind after each sip.

Smell - Honey, lemony citrus notes, vanilla notes, hops and the pineapple scent that I get from the 90 Minute IPA.

Taste - Sweet. Almost to the point of cloying. The sweetness seems to mask a lot of the other flavors. I can taste honey with sweet malt, and a very slight hop backend. Tastes like a 90 Minute IPA with a bottle of wildflower nectar honey poured in it. The hops bitterness shows up more in the mouthfeel than the actual flavor of the brew.

Mouthfeel - Smooth going down with a bitter finish. 10% ABV becomes apparent once the beer has warmed up a little. Medium bodied.

Drinkability - This brew was too sweet to finish fast and too heavy feeling on the stomach to have more than one in one sitting. Definitely a sipper.

I bought a 4 pack and so far I have finished three (not at one time) and set one away for aging. Hopefully aging this brew improves it a little bit. Perhaps my palate is not as developed as it should be to fully appreciate this brew. (1,466 characters)

3.24/5  rDev -22.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

750ml bottle from the original 2004 release with Michael Jackson's Rare Beer Tour. Served in a tasting tulip at just over fridge temperature and paired with Chaumes Veritable from France.

Appearance- Pours an attractive fiery deep amber, loud and hissing... the head fights to climb a few inches, but doesn't even remain paper thin after a minute. A few dots of lacing, without any retention.

Smell- Mature, full hop nose that carries a backbone of vanilla and wood from the oak aging.

Taste- This beer incorporates a boozy, almost whiskey cask flavor that intensifies the citrus finish. A woodsy tartness is evident throughout the time spent inside the mouth, coating the teeth and drying the palate.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- With the most subtle carbonation, the texture expands marginally to add some body to the deep, oaky flavors here. This is not an easy beer to savor, sip, or swig... but it's an adventure nonetheless. I would have loved to have tried this pre-storage just to compare. (1,005 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +12.5%

Poured a pure, nectar-like honey color with good retention and nice head presence. Clean smell of hops, but with extra richness and presence that goes deeper than other DIPA's. Smooth taste of an IPA, but more maltiness and not the blasting of hops that you would expect. Honeylike from start to finish. Similar to a combination of a DIPA and a well-aged barleywine. Warming in the body and the smooth nectar presence in the mouth is pure and perfect. Watch yourself so it doesn't go down so fast. Incredible stuff here. (520 characters)

2.3/5  rDev -44.7%

I feel I should review another beer with my pal AndoBrew or something. Let's do it!

Appearance: Pours a clear, copper body with a frothy, though quickly diminishing head. AndoBrew, looking troubled, says it reminds him of "scary candy." Oh, how right he'll be!

Smell: Beyond a touch of wood shavings and an indistinct orange citrus note, its sweet-smelling candy sugar through and through. AndoBrew concludes Burton Baton has been conceived and made in the same vein as Avery's "Mephistopheles and Other Demons" line (i.e., jacked up sugar and alcohol content). I'm inclined to agree with him.

Taste: Terribly sugary, with a glaring sweetness that impairs the overall taste by laying waste to the other flavors of honey, apples, and pears. Even the bitterness is cowed by the sugar. AndoBrew's vote goes to "Watered down Toffee Brandy blended with a lil' bit of bad news." Right on, Ando.

Mouthfeel: Thin-bodied, but altogether cloying with a searing alcoholic warmth to it. AndoBrew says his mouth feels dried out and sugar-encrusted, like a "problem."

Drinkability: Essentially, I found this to be a flimsy IPA drenched in way too much sugar and alcohol. I feel fortunate to have survived this sugar-esque running of the bulls!

I wonder what beer AndoBrew and I will try next! (1,296 characters)

1.94/5  rDev -53.4%

Poured a clear amber orange with a moderate white head that subsided to a thick skim leaving lots of thing, sticky lace.

The aroma is malty and with some pungent hops, but they are pretty faint, certainly for a Double IPA. It is mainly sweet.

The taste just smacks you upside the head with sugary sweetness. Lots of brown sugar and stone fruit like apricot. Where are the hops??? A bit of flowers try to break through that malt, but they ultimately fail. The finish finally reveals the oak, but man, this is a sugary strong amber ale in my mind. I was hoping that blending the 90min with an oak aged batch would temper the malty sugar bomb, but I was mistaken.

The mouthfeel is pretty viscous, inspite of the active streamers, this is syrupy.

The drinkablity on this one was low. Way to sugary and pretty much no hops. My beer store, which has pretty high turn over, just got this, so even though it's from back east, I doubt it's that old that the hops would have faded so much. And the malt is so sweet and fresh and sugary. I'll easily forget about the other one I have until it's well past it's prime I'm sure, even though that's probably 5-10 years out (prime being relative). From what I'd heard of this brew, it was very dissapointing. And then I remembered I've felt this way about pretty much ever DFH brew I've ever had! (1,345 characters)

Burton Baton from Dogfish Head Brewery