Burton Baton - Dogfish Head Brewery

Burton BatonBurton Baton

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: Todd on 12-08-2004

This oak-aged gentle giant has been gaining popularity over the past few years and is now available year-round.

For Burton Baton, we brew two "threads," or batches, of beer: an English-style old ale and an imperial IPA.

After fementating the beers separately in our stainless tanks, they're transferred and blended together in one of our large oak tanks. Burton Baton sits on the wood for about a month.

When enjoying the Burton Baton, you'll find an awesome blend of the citrus notes from Northwestern hops melding with woody, vanilla notes from the oak. The wood also tends to mellow the 10% ABV of Burton, so tread cautiously!

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Burton Baton Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,816 | Hads: 6,280
3.9/5  rDev -6.7%

clear coppery amberish with a tan head that holds fairly well and leave a little lace. first thing that comes to mind when i sniff is oak and smoke, but some fruit (banana, and passsion mostly) and flowers come through as well as a hint of brown sugar. taste - oaked for sure, and unlike the nose, i get a smokey hop taste riding on an oaky malt backbone. good, creamy, medium full body with a nice warming finish. it seems to me that it would be hard to drink too many of these, but it's fun to try and another great effort from dfh. a lot of time must have gone in to making this beer, but i won't be spending a lot of time drinking it. give me a 90 minute any day.

3.22/5  rDev -23%

12 oz., bottled on __/16/07 (the first number of the ink-jet printing was rubbed out), brewed with Northwest hops. By the end of the bottle I found myself reviewing this beer based on overall impression rather than to style - had I reviewed to style it certainly would have garnered lower points. Anyway, the beer pours into the balloon glass a clear, dark copper, with low carbonation and an inch of khaki head that leaves a few rings of lace. Smells of malted grain first, followed by grapefruity hops, which are in turn followed by vanilla and sweet, oaky bourbon notes. Starts quite nice, but becomes sweet and lightly boozy, and my aroma score is an average of those sentiments. On the palate, it is malty sweet - quite cloying actually. It's very fruity, backed by vanilla and oak, with additions of dark fruits and some buttery diacetyl. The hops are beaten down by the massive malts, and relegated to mere supporting roles, giving hints of citrus and pine, while imparting only a mild bitterness. The body is full and too heavy, with low carbonation, drying tannins, and a long, sweet/dry finish. It has a good aroma and some decent flavors, but is way off-balance. The beer is way too sweet, which lowers the drinkability immensely, and the hops are definitely there, but have a hard time making themselves known, which is odd for a double (albeit offbeat) IPA. I was very excited to finally find this, but was ultimately let down. I'll let the other bottle mellow for a couple years and see if it improves.

3.7/5  rDev -11.5%

Initial impression: I really like the sweetness of the 90 minute, so I was excited to try this beer. But I feel the oak aging mellows out the hops to the point where this beer is candy sweet. There is still a nice punch of hops up front, and a nice oaky/vanilla blast helps dry out the finish, but my overall impression of this beer is candied pears. I don't know why I get that from it, but that is my story and I'm sticking to it!

Ten minutes later: At the end of the day, I'm more a quaffer of beer than I am a sipper. That is just how I roll. But that doesn't mean I don't recongize a sipper when I've got one in front of me, and this is a sipper. As I drink it more and it approaches room temperature, the oak starts to blossom more. The vanilla is married to a faint hint of chocolate that isn't unpleasant, and there is a nice tannic dryness that competes with the overall sweetness of the beer. A flaw if you want to be a BJCP-nazi, but it actually helps balance this beer out. But the smell has become very phenolic and medicinal. It reminds me of the cough syrup I used to get as a kid. Overall, I'd say the sweetness mellows out as it approaches room temperature.

Twenty minutes later (30 minutes total): Wow. Lemon-zest. Lemon-lest, with a pinch of orange and grapefruit has really taken over this beer. Just an absurd amount of citrus. Wow. This beer is just getting interested and I am only halfway through it. The sweetness doesn't seem too bad, and, in the immortal words of Roberta Williams, the bartender reminds me of an old friend. Well, OK, I'm at home typing a grant application, but let's not get into semantics. It has finally reached a fairly quaffable/drinkable stage. Maybe, like some wines, it just needed some time to "open up" and probably to "warm up". It is drinking the best it has when it is fairly flat and at room temperature. Unusual for a beer, but that's the way they roll sometimes.

A nice experience overall. I'm glad I got a single bottle as opposed to a four-pack, but no regrets over that single bottle.

4.72/5  rDev +12.9%

Pours a deep dark amber color with 1 finger head that retains for most of the beer. Smell is earthy wood then hops and sweet malts at the end. The taste is extremely complex with wood and hints of vanilla then the hops then the wood again. The mouthfeel is crisp and creamy much like an IPA. At 10% they pack a much meaner punch then the close 90 minute IPA. You can tell a difference in the effect but the effect is great. Again and again Dogfish Head does it again. Can't wait for that Chocolate beer soon.

3.82/5  rDev -8.6%

12 oz bottle poured into traditional pint glass

A - Pours a lovely suspension of burnt orange and sunset yellow with a somewhat small off white head. Somehwat cloudy with minimal lacing, except when tipped.

S - Smells sweet, with an oaked, almost soapy characteristic. Alcohol is noticeable, but it blends nicely with the oak as would be expected. Hops present a bubblegum and grapefruit nose. It all somehow blends together to give a unified yet complex nose that is somewhat different from most in the style.

T - Starts off very tart and sugary sweet with some strong molasses flavor. Tastes oaked through and through, and the alcohol is certainly apparent. Hops get hidden behind this interesting veil, which is disappointing to me. Lemony citrus with some bubblegum flavor. I find the up front sweet, malty oak flavor to be cloying and bit too much.

M - Tart with a sharp alcoholic bite. Moderate carbonation. Drying in the finish, but it leaves behind a sticky and mouth-coating feel.

D - Not my favorite, but a very interesting take on the Double IPA and another genre-bender from Dogfish Head. The oak aging adds a great deal of flavor and complexity, but it also takes away the starring role of the hops. I have been aging this one for a bit, so I'd be interested to try this one fresher when the hops might be more expressive. Worth trying out, especially if you enjoy oak-aged beers.

4.27/5  rDev +2.2%

Special thanks to ilovedarkbeer (from ratebeer) for this taste treat. Aroma is sweet (as is the taste) encompassing lemon, apple, ruby port and a bit of soy sauce. Pour yields a smallish off-white head that disappears after a bit. Good lacing. Color is like a nice Bourbon. Taste is extremely sweet with absolutely no bitterness (IPA?). Alcohol comes across on the finish (which I like). Great stuff.

4.1/5  rDev -1.9%

So, I walked into Tyler's Taproom (Durham, NC) last week for lunch. As usual, I surveyed the 50 taps to see what treasures awaited. The 'tender told me of two new Dogfish taps: Immort Ale Ale and Burton Baton. Now, I went through a four-pack of Immort Ale last year when it first became available in NC and I really enjoyed it. Burton Baton, however, has eluded me for some time. I had a 12oz bottle a few years ago, but no memory of that experience remains so I decided to accompany my lunch with Burton Baton with the idea that a second beer would follow.

The dark amber brew was served in a wide-bottomed Dogfish Head snifter. A two-finger light tan head formed, but died down rather sudden and left a thin lacing of bubbles around the perimeter. Dark malts dominate the aroma, while hints of buttery diacetyls and grapefruity citrus linger in the background. Caramel and sweet malts are upfront in the flavor profile, while a lighter, hoppy finish-although still dominated by malts-confirms the style. The lingering aftertaste is quite bitter, but a sweet nuttiness remains. It's certainly a thick and creamy brew.

The alcohol is really powerful; I realized about three-quarters of the way into the glass that this would be the only beer I would experience that day. It was much more than I could have imagined!

4.15/5  rDev -0.7%

2 bottles compared simultaneously, one bottled on 12/29/05 and the other on 1/18/07. Tasted on 1/26/08. Let's see what difference a year makes. First, I will review the one year old and then make some comments about the two year old, where appropriate -

Appearance: Pours a hazy honey color with a rocky head that lasts quite a while and leaves plenty of lace. The older it gets the darker the color

Smell: Big alcholic nose of caramel, and rum-soaked fruit (raisins and apricots); after two years, the aroma becomes more subtle

Taste: Opens with a sweet caramel base that has all the fruit from the aroma and then some; by mid-palate, the oak barrel and vanilla flavors become prominent; after the swallow, the sweetness intensifies and the smoothness builds; there is some residual bitterness from the hops but that is mostly gone by now; by the second year, much of the sweetness has settled down, allowing some of the fruit to shine through

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, with moderate carbonation; quite sticky; in the second year, the stickiness is gone

Drinkability: We are really in barleywine territory with this beer by now; just a bit too much on the sweet side and that overwhelms some of the subtler flavors; much easier to drink after two years of aging; the two year old version would get an added 1/2 point for taste, mouthfeel and drinkability

Quite interesting, overall. With DIPAs, you generally want to drink them sooner, rather than later; in this case, I don't really consider the beer a DIPA and, as a barleywine or old ale, it really benefits from extended aging

A few years later, I had the opportunity to sample a fresh bottle that was less than three months old and what a different experience - the piney hops are much more apparent in the aroma and on the palate, with the oaky elements adding a dry, woody touch, as well. Consequently, I boosted my scores by .5 for the T/M/D elements.

3.72/5  rDev -11%

I hate that I'm giving this beer such a low rating. I like that it's unique, and it certainly is, but it's a bit too sweet, too flat, and too not enough hops. This is a single, and has likely been sitting on a shelf for around a year, so my rating may be unfair. It is, however, fair to this bottle, in my subjective opinion.

Now, I purchased another 6 of Hop Slam today ... I'm sure I know which will prevail of the two, if I'm up to it.

3.6/5  rDev -13.9%

Pours with a respectable off-white head that quickly disperses into a thin coat of bubbles. Nice, sticky lace.

Strong malt aroma with bread, molasses, hay and very little hops.

The first thing that hits me with the taste is sweetness; almost cloyingly so. Next comes a slight hoppy bitter edge then raisins, dates, molasses and a bit of citrus. I know this is a big beer but the sugary finish is too much for me.

Big body that coats the mouth. A bit on the heavy side. Good sipping beer but I couldn't drink more than about a half-pint at a time.

4.32/5  rDev +3.3%

Burton Baton bottled 01/08/07

As a Dogfish Head fan I was glad to happen upon a few 4-packs of this one.

Outstanding aroma. Plenty of caramel, dark fruits and hops in the aroma. Oak adds a richness.
It tastes exactly like it smells. This is another fine sipper that will enhance.

Mouthfeel was creamy and a little carbonation giggle.

It is a bit sweet to have more than one. However, it is a great special occasion beer.

4.07/5  rDev -2.6%

appearance - Cloudy orange amber color, small off-white head with some thin lace.

smell - Fruits, floral, and toasted grains here.

taste - Has a hoppy taste up front and then taste of fruits, like raisons and grains kick in.

mouthfeel - Medium body with some carbonation.

drinkability - Enjoyed , stored for almost a year. Can't wait till Feb. kicks around again.

Pours a clear darker amber with a white head that falls to nothing after a while. Nose is slightly hopped with a thick raisin quality to it. Flavor is extremely sweet at first in a syrup like kind of way. Very slight noticeable alcohol. Raisin flavor is strong. Feel is thin with bubble and thick and strong with syrup qualities. Almost seems elixir like. Definitely drinkable. I wouldn’t go so far as to say this is one of the best DIPAs around, but it is pretty interesting in a Dogfish Head kinda way.

4.12/5  rDev -1.4%

Drinkability suffers a bit because of the high ABV but otherwise this is a masterpiece here.

Huge Dogfish fan anyway so I decided to break this out here on Christmas Eve and check it out.

Looks very similar to the 90 Minute, except maybe it is a touch darker.

Smells absolutely incredible. Piney hoppy tang mixed the dark woody smell of the oak... I could sit and smell this for quite some time before actually drinking it. I think I will.

Everything I was hoping for in this one. That familiar IIPA hoppiness combined with the oak, almost like a nice bourbon here. Man, this is really good.

The alcohol does peek through on this quite a bit especially as it warms but you know what you're getting with 10% so I ain't bitching about it.

Just an excellent beer that I will be having again and again and again and....

4.17/5  rDev -0.2%

2005 vintage, poured into my FFF nonic glass

Light tan head of millions and millions of tiny bubbles. Moderate head retention leaving tiny traces of lace on the glass edge. Head peters out in a few minutes to a rim of foam and smatterings of bubbles. Reletively clear dark orange body. No trace of carbonation bubbles.
Caramel and alcohol on the nose. Hops defintely still present, but really smells like a barleywine at this point. Can really get a whiff of the oak at this point.
As for the taste, spicy yet malty. Getting some oaked fruityness. Kinda all over the place. I'm glad to see the hops still present on the tongue. I'm not sure what kind went into the hop bill, but they have stood the test of time. It's definitely drinking like an oak aged barleywine. Medium/+ mouthfeel. Thicker than your average IIPA but very smooth. You can tell the alcohol is there, but the 10% well hidden. I've had 8%'ers that were more boozy than this. It does catch up to you at the end of the beer though. I'm glad I have 4 more of these vintages. This is how I like my "barleywines", hoppy and complex. The oak really doesn't hurt either.

4.53/5  rDev +8.4%

Thanks MuenchenerKindl for this trade.

12oz. brown bottle poured into a snifter. Bottled 1/08/07.

A: Pours a beautiful sunset orange with the exact hazing. 1 solid finger of eggshell head comes up and eventually dies to a frothy skim on the surface. Some patchy lacing.

S: Hops seem to have died down some.. at least they're not as strong as I expected. Some alcohol notes as well as some oak. Some sweetness coming from some golden raisins. Alcohol really stands out later in the drink.

T/M: At first sip, the bitterness is very subdued. I still get some sweet grapefruit with a touch of puckering lime. In the middle, I get a touch of iced tea flavor before the an oak and vanilla creaminess comes through. Getting some dried fruits... dates or figs? Alcohol just barely noticeable throughout the entire drink, but doesn't hurt or dominate in any way. It finishes very dry with some bitterness finally coming through with some strength.

D: Very tasty and I find it hard to take my time sipping it. I could find myself drunk before I knew it if I wasn't careful. I'd like to try this fresh to compare but I'm thinking in between 1 and 2 years would be a good drinking window.

3.01/5  rDev -28%

Thanks to HopDawg from whom I received this beer. I am on a long quest to try every DFH beer I can.

Poured from a 12 ounce beer into a Unibroue oversized wineglass.

A. A beautiful beer. Poured an orange red brew with a durable one finger head. Bountiful carbonation arising from the glass.

S. Too much malt. In my humble opinion a DIPA should reek of hops. They are mildly apparent but the overwhelming smell is a toffee like malt.

T. Like it smells. The hops are in the background. Too sweet. Too malty for a DIPA.

M. Mild body and sweet cloying feel.

D. The abv and limited ability would drop this score. I have like many of DFH's beers,but like 120MIN this is too sweet.

2.21/5  rDev -47.1%

Bottled on 01.08.07, drank on 11.05.07.

Poured into a DFH snifter, Burton Baton revealed an orange-red color with a small white head. As I take a whiff of it, I pick up that oh-so-familiar smell that only a strong Dogfish Head brew gives off. Overpowering sweet citrus from the hops with a weird oak/toffee backbone. I think to myself, "I hope this does not become an Immort Ale disaster." To this day the Immort Ale is one of the only beers I have ever poured down the drain.

Upon drinking, it left no lacing along the side of the glass and a thin white film of head remained on the beer that could be rejuvenated with an easy swirl of the glass. The flavor was dominated by a cloying sweetness that was impossible for me to get past. Very hot in the mouth as well from the unmasked 10% alcohol.

I have to say that I am a fan of a lot of DFH beers (i.e. 60 Min, WW Stout, Indian Brown, Raison D'Etre), but the sweetness presented by this beer is something that I have had a problem with in the Immort Ale as well as the 120 Minute IPA. It is very syrupy and just unpleasant. I will say the Burton Baton is my favorite of those three beers. I was able to drink the entire bottle, but it was somewhat of a struggle and I will not be trying it again for quite some time. If you're into the Immort or 120 Min then give it a shot, otherwise try laying it down for a year or two after you buy it and then see if the flavors develop a bit more.

2.68/5  rDev -35.9%

12 oz bottle into pint glass.

A: Pours a cloudy amber color with about a one finger head. head goes down pretty quick with a thin blanket left that leaves decent bits of lace.

S: Rum, caramel, molasses.

T: Big sweet alcohol taste. Didn't get the hop flavors that I was expecting. I did get a oaky chardonnay flavor. The honey sweetness is almost overpowering, diacetyl notes for sure. This beer is very well crafted, but too sweet for my palate.

D: If it wasn't so sweet it would be good. This beer reminds me of a Camelot mead that I once had. Too sweet, and it doesn't mellow in your glass like some beers that initially shock you. If you like sweet, drink this beer.

4.24/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

The beer cascades from the 12 ounce bottle a slightly bemused orange amber color with a generous bright creamy white head that very slowly dissipates, leaving the lace to forms tight concealing curtain. Nose is filled with fruit aromas, banana, peaches, cumquats, (just kidding about the cumquats), pleasant oak like tartness, strawberry cotton candy sweetness also noted. Front has a delectable toasted grain profile with the vanilla tartness at the back, also, the alcohol, makes an appearance, top is medium in feel to the palate. Finish has perky acidity, the hop flowers spicy and the alcohol warms the tummy, sweetly dry aftertaste sticks mightily to the palate, this is a magnificent beer, oak-aged 90 minute ale, toasted malt, and the snap of the alcohol, “WOW”!

4.45/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I was excited to see how the oak would interact with the hops on this powerhouse ale. A huge 3 finger head jumps to the top of the glass with perfect tan color. This was a surprise for an oak aged brew to have this much carbonation and head retention. Body is an attractive dark brownish amber. Nose has presence of vanilla, soft hops, oak and maybe a hint of tree sap. Super interesting array of flavors going on here. Dark ripe fruit, syrupy hops, orange drink, rich almost peppery malt notes, and an oaked bitter sweet throughout. Slight lengthy bitter forms tword the end. Warms the belly well yet alchol is well hidden in the taste. Thick mouthfeel for the style. Very enjoyable.

3.52/5  rDev -15.8%

Pours cloudy, orange, thin tan head. Low carbonation. Smell is sweet, woody, faint aromas of citrus from the hops.

Taste is quite sweet. Thick mouthfeel lends to the lingering, sticky sweetness. Smooth vanilla and caramel notes... maybe butterscotch? Underlaying bitterness in the complexity of flavors. This one might benefit from a bit more aging. The flavors are a touch abrasive, but otherwise interesting. Warming alcoholic finish. Becomes more drinkable as it warms... reminds me of many English barleywines I've tried.

Thanks to todd1 for this bottle!

4.7/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz. bottle, poured into a snifter. From notes taken at the DFH Alehouse in Falls Church.

A: Pink-grapefruit-tinged dark copper, a truly unique color. Decent off-white head layer, not much lacing.

S: Vanilla, caramel and butterscotch, grape, mandarin orange and light citric scents, overall a very complex, winey. sweet smell, tempered by a slight tickle of citrus. The grape and butterscotch really come out as it warms up.

T: Wow, it's very thickly layered. Vanilla, caramel and butterscotch flavors lend a chewy sweetness to the brew, and the grape I smelled asserts itself with a kind of ice-wine-esque character that heightens with the temperature. Hops are there, mostly orangey and grapefruity, lending some IPA character to what really tastes more like an oak-aged barleywine. Sort of reminds me of a lighter, less cloying version of some of the Lees' Harvest Ale offerings. Very complex--odd that it is listed as having the 90 Min. as a component, as the oak-aging and English characteristics have made this almost unrecognizable as a cousin to that brew.

M: Despite the thick, chewy nature of the flavors, this is neither syrupy nor cloying. It's certainly a meal of a beer, but it would just make the four-pack last longer. Nice balance of big malty sweetness with highly comfortable feel.

D: It's a sipper, but it sure is a good 'un. Glad I ordered it.

4.18/5  rDev 0%

I love this beer. Not being a huge fan of super-hopped IPAs, the caramelly, butterscotched flavors of Burton Baton are great. Though I can understand that people expecting more of a hop-punch will be disappointed or have a blah reaction. This almost ventures into dessert-wine territory. I'm going to save four bottles of this stuff and try it out in a year or two.

4.35/5  rDev +4.1%

ST: A 12 oz bottle poured into a Westmalle glass goblet.

A: A nice reddish hue. Gold tones.

S: Sweet fruits, flowers, a nice sweet aroma.

T: Smooth, nothing like an IPA. Spices, fruits, a wonderful taste, the oak aging really does wonders for this brew.

M: Smooth, creamy, very nice.

D: One i would order on a regular basis, a good crossover beer for that friend who is getting in to craft/micros.

Dogfish Head is becoming a favorite of mine....

Burton Baton from Dogfish Head Brewery