Join our email list →

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States | website

American Double / Imperial IPA | 10.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 12-08-2004

This oak-aged gentle giant has been gaining popularity over the past few years and is now available year-round.

For Burton Baton, we brew two "threads," or batches, of beer: an English-style old ale and an imperial IPA.

After fementating the beers separately in our stainless tanks, they're transferred and blended together in one of our large oak tanks. Burton Baton sits on the wood for about a month.

When enjoying the Burton Baton, you'll find an awesome blend of the citrus notes from Northwestern hops melding with woody, vanilla notes from the oak. The wood also tends to mellow the 10% ABV of Burton, so tread cautiously!

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Burton Baton Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,826 | Hads: 6,344
4.53/5  rDev +8.4%

Thanks MuenchenerKindl for this trade.

12oz. brown bottle poured into a snifter. Bottled 1/08/07.

A: Pours a beautiful sunset orange with the exact hazing. 1 solid finger of eggshell head comes up and eventually dies to a frothy skim on the surface. Some patchy lacing.

S: Hops seem to have died down some.. at least they're not as strong as I expected. Some alcohol notes as well as some oak. Some sweetness coming from some golden raisins. Alcohol really stands out later in the drink.

T/M: At first sip, the bitterness is very subdued. I still get some sweet grapefruit with a touch of puckering lime. In the middle, I get a touch of iced tea flavor before the an oak and vanilla creaminess comes through. Getting some dried fruits... dates or figs? Alcohol just barely noticeable throughout the entire drink, but doesn't hurt or dominate in any way. It finishes very dry with some bitterness finally coming through with some strength.

D: Very tasty and I find it hard to take my time sipping it. I could find myself drunk before I knew it if I wasn't careful. I'd like to try this fresh to compare but I'm thinking in between 1 and 2 years would be a good drinking window.

3.01/5  rDev -28%

Thanks to HopDawg from whom I received this beer. I am on a long quest to try every DFH beer I can.

Poured from a 12 ounce beer into a Unibroue oversized wineglass.

A. A beautiful beer. Poured an orange red brew with a durable one finger head. Bountiful carbonation arising from the glass.

S. Too much malt. In my humble opinion a DIPA should reek of hops. They are mildly apparent but the overwhelming smell is a toffee like malt.

T. Like it smells. The hops are in the background. Too sweet. Too malty for a DIPA.

M. Mild body and sweet cloying feel.

D. The abv and limited ability would drop this score. I have like many of DFH's beers,but like 120MIN this is too sweet.

2.21/5  rDev -47.1%

Bottled on 01.08.07, drank on 11.05.07.

Poured into a DFH snifter, Burton Baton revealed an orange-red color with a small white head. As I take a whiff of it, I pick up that oh-so-familiar smell that only a strong Dogfish Head brew gives off. Overpowering sweet citrus from the hops with a weird oak/toffee backbone. I think to myself, "I hope this does not become an Immort Ale disaster." To this day the Immort Ale is one of the only beers I have ever poured down the drain.

Upon drinking, it left no lacing along the side of the glass and a thin white film of head remained on the beer that could be rejuvenated with an easy swirl of the glass. The flavor was dominated by a cloying sweetness that was impossible for me to get past. Very hot in the mouth as well from the unmasked 10% alcohol.

I have to say that I am a fan of a lot of DFH beers (i.e. 60 Min, WW Stout, Indian Brown, Raison D'Etre), but the sweetness presented by this beer is something that I have had a problem with in the Immort Ale as well as the 120 Minute IPA. It is very syrupy and just unpleasant. I will say the Burton Baton is my favorite of those three beers. I was able to drink the entire bottle, but it was somewhat of a struggle and I will not be trying it again for quite some time. If you're into the Immort or 120 Min then give it a shot, otherwise try laying it down for a year or two after you buy it and then see if the flavors develop a bit more.

2.68/5  rDev -35.9%

12 oz bottle into pint glass.

A: Pours a cloudy amber color with about a one finger head. head goes down pretty quick with a thin blanket left that leaves decent bits of lace.

S: Rum, caramel, molasses.

T: Big sweet alcohol taste. Didn't get the hop flavors that I was expecting. I did get a oaky chardonnay flavor. The honey sweetness is almost overpowering, diacetyl notes for sure. This beer is very well crafted, but too sweet for my palate.

D: If it wasn't so sweet it would be good. This beer reminds me of a Camelot mead that I once had. Too sweet, and it doesn't mellow in your glass like some beers that initially shock you. If you like sweet, drink this beer.

4.24/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

The beer cascades from the 12 ounce bottle a slightly bemused orange amber color with a generous bright creamy white head that very slowly dissipates, leaving the lace to forms tight concealing curtain. Nose is filled with fruit aromas, banana, peaches, cumquats, (just kidding about the cumquats), pleasant oak like tartness, strawberry cotton candy sweetness also noted. Front has a delectable toasted grain profile with the vanilla tartness at the back, also, the alcohol, makes an appearance, top is medium in feel to the palate. Finish has perky acidity, the hop flowers spicy and the alcohol warms the tummy, sweetly dry aftertaste sticks mightily to the palate, this is a magnificent beer, oak-aged 90 minute ale, toasted malt, and the snap of the alcohol, “WOW”!

4.45/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I was excited to see how the oak would interact with the hops on this powerhouse ale. A huge 3 finger head jumps to the top of the glass with perfect tan color. This was a surprise for an oak aged brew to have this much carbonation and head retention. Body is an attractive dark brownish amber. Nose has presence of vanilla, soft hops, oak and maybe a hint of tree sap. Super interesting array of flavors going on here. Dark ripe fruit, syrupy hops, orange drink, rich almost peppery malt notes, and an oaked bitter sweet throughout. Slight lengthy bitter forms tword the end. Warms the belly well yet alchol is well hidden in the taste. Thick mouthfeel for the style. Very enjoyable.

3.52/5  rDev -15.8%

Pours cloudy, orange, thin tan head. Low carbonation. Smell is sweet, woody, faint aromas of citrus from the hops.

Taste is quite sweet. Thick mouthfeel lends to the lingering, sticky sweetness. Smooth vanilla and caramel notes... maybe butterscotch? Underlaying bitterness in the complexity of flavors. This one might benefit from a bit more aging. The flavors are a touch abrasive, but otherwise interesting. Warming alcoholic finish. Becomes more drinkable as it warms... reminds me of many English barleywines I've tried.

Thanks to todd1 for this bottle!

4.7/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz. bottle, poured into a snifter. From notes taken at the DFH Alehouse in Falls Church.

A: Pink-grapefruit-tinged dark copper, a truly unique color. Decent off-white head layer, not much lacing.

S: Vanilla, caramel and butterscotch, grape, mandarin orange and light citric scents, overall a very complex, winey. sweet smell, tempered by a slight tickle of citrus. The grape and butterscotch really come out as it warms up.

T: Wow, it's very thickly layered. Vanilla, caramel and butterscotch flavors lend a chewy sweetness to the brew, and the grape I smelled asserts itself with a kind of ice-wine-esque character that heightens with the temperature. Hops are there, mostly orangey and grapefruity, lending some IPA character to what really tastes more like an oak-aged barleywine. Sort of reminds me of a lighter, less cloying version of some of the Lees' Harvest Ale offerings. Very complex--odd that it is listed as having the 90 Min. as a component, as the oak-aging and English characteristics have made this almost unrecognizable as a cousin to that brew.

M: Despite the thick, chewy nature of the flavors, this is neither syrupy nor cloying. It's certainly a meal of a beer, but it would just make the four-pack last longer. Nice balance of big malty sweetness with highly comfortable feel.

D: It's a sipper, but it sure is a good 'un. Glad I ordered it.

4.18/5  rDev 0%

I love this beer. Not being a huge fan of super-hopped IPAs, the caramelly, butterscotched flavors of Burton Baton are great. Though I can understand that people expecting more of a hop-punch will be disappointed or have a blah reaction. This almost ventures into dessert-wine territory. I'm going to save four bottles of this stuff and try it out in a year or two.

4.35/5  rDev +4.1%

ST: A 12 oz bottle poured into a Westmalle glass goblet.

A: A nice reddish hue. Gold tones.

S: Sweet fruits, flowers, a nice sweet aroma.

T: Smooth, nothing like an IPA. Spices, fruits, a wonderful taste, the oak aging really does wonders for this brew.

M: Smooth, creamy, very nice.

D: One i would order on a regular basis, a good crossover beer for that friend who is getting in to craft/micros.

Dogfish Head is becoming a favorite of mine....

2.08/5  rDev -50.2%

I really really really wanted to like this beer...
Huge fan of IIPA and Dogfish head...

I haven't had to pour a beer down the sink in years..

Way too sugary, way too sweet. Hops don't even really make it through.
This beer killed my taste buds. I had to stop drinking after I had it and it gave me a headache, probably from all the sugar. As I let the beer swirl over my tongue, I could taste the bourbon.

Maybe I had the wrong impression of what this was going to taste like. I tried, even let it sit out for a bit hoping that as it warms, it would become more palatable.

I will put the other 3 bottles down.... for a LONG time... maybe that will calm the sweetness.

3.7/5  rDev -11.5%

I received two of these in what has turned out to be a personal BIF between myself and Sudsdog. I finally got around to drinking this one and the other is buried deep in the closet for ageing.

A: Pours a nice amber red color with little to no head. It is a very thick looking brew that despite the minimal head does manage to leave behind a little lacing.

S: Very sweet smelling with notes of rock candy, malt, and a touch of oak. This baby has the aroma of good peanut brittle.

T: Not at all what I expected. It is very sweet and creamy initially. You are hit with a huge rush of lightly spiced brown sugar with a dash of vanilla. A maltiness is then noted with a mild hint of oak. What I don't taste is the hops of the 90 min used to brew this one. Wish it could have finished or started for that matter with a rush of bitter piney hops. Bitter sweet would have made this brew.

M: This is a thick brew no doubt about it. I started drinking it a little on the cool side which may have thickened it up a bit, but by the time I was finished and it had warmed the beer was still rather thick in body.

D: Due to the sweetness I could only drink one.

Overall: Unique. This beer is not at all what I expected. Very sweet and malty... Are you sure there is 90 Min IPA in here. Short of the lack of hops it is still enjoyable though. There are a lot of flavors that come at you in a rush and in waves. It's a complex brew that hides the ABV very nicely.

I will age my second one and see how it comes out. Next time around I will know what to expect with this one and the review may be a few points higher.

The bottle says to share it with loved ones and hoard it from non-believers. Well I am a believer in all that DFH does, so Sudsdog thanks for sharing.

3.5/5  rDev -16.3%

Note: Overall scores averaged.

Aged version = 4.2 overall
Three years in, and it's my best aging success story ever. Then again, it had nowhere to go but up.
Slightly muddied in apperance. And not much head.
The aroma is vanilla toffee, dried apricots and dates, wood, and Sherry.
Taste is all buttery-vanilla-caramel-toffee dried fruits- mainly dates and figs. A touch of booze and wood gives another nod towards Sherry.
Full modied, with some CO2 teasing out.
After 3 years, this is a nice barleywine, with a notable flourish of wood aging. Alcohol is toned down. The hops are phased out entirely, and that's fine, as this was always a poor excuse for a DIPA. Kudos on the improvement. I never thought I say this, but I'll probably buy this again...when I'm feeling very, very patient.

But when fresh, it's a nuke (overall score 2.2, see below):

Dark copper hued with a thin yellowed foam.
Nose of fallen pine needles, cardboard, maple, and dark spiced rum. The booze quotient is so noticable as too distract form everything else. There is also as dried notion of manure to further distract and detract.
Enters the mouth full of burnt corn syrup and brown sugar and melted rubber. Sticky, and a bit nauseating. Then it gets worse. Hops add cooked cabbage. Barrel-aging adds burnt butter. Diacetyl and DMS are always factors in DFH brews, but most overcome, while this wallows in them. There is no off-setting bitterness to the stagnant burnt malt or the off-flavors.
Syrup textured. This presents more as an old ale than anything IPA-related. As such, it is still an utter chore, and fatally flawed.
In not as big a fan of 90 Minute as most, but damn, I wish I had one now instead of this.
I love the concept here, but loathe the execution.
Really hideous.

4.23/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle with a "bottled on" date of 01/08/07. Leaves a one finger tan-hued head, and has some retention, as well as some spotty lacing. Body is a clear, orange-tinted copper. Also, it seems to be very effervescent.

Smell - apples, butterscotch, some vanilla. No real aroma of hops, which seems weird given the style. Nonetheless, the aroma is mouthwatering.

Taste - exactly as the nose indicates, still not getting much hops in taste, or in aromatics. There is delicious maltbread sweet rolls laced with apples and vanilla, and some spicy alcohol, but no hops.

Mouthfeel - medium bodied, and at times syrupy.

Drinkability - this is good ale. The high abv limits sessionability. If you are looking for a DIPA, you may be a little let-down, as the barrel-aging seems to almost utterly mellow out the hops to a non-entity, even as a bittering agent - but..., nonetheless this is a good big beer to sip and enjoy.

3.8/5  rDev -9.1%

Very cloear copper colour- surprisingly so. Perhaps quite filtered. Not much head to speak of, some minor lacing. Smell- smells quite sugary. Taste- very sweet wtih the woods fairly pronounced. Medium cabonation. Slightly boozy with caramel and doughy malts in forefront. The hops are more herbal and grassy than bitter citrus. It finishes decently though- not too much cloying sweetness on the finish. The vanilla and wood really shows up on the finish too. Hops are kind of an afterthought in this beer. Drinkability is decent- it is a slow sipper. Quite enjoyable, not an every day beverage.

3.85/5  rDev -7.9%

I bought this 12 ounce bottle at Capone's Restaurant in Norristown, Pa.
Appearance: Pretty carbonated, a brown body with an dark eggshell head. The head was only a couple of fingers tall, and left not much lacing and disapated rather quick.
Smell: A sweet, tart, boozy aroma. I was a bit suprised at the alcohol smell with "only" a 10% ABV.
Taste: Very sweet and boozy, not as tart as the aroma. Very intense, and not as hoppy as I was expecting from a DIPA from DFH.
Mouthfeel: Very very smooth and syrupy.
Drinkabilty: Good.
Don't drink and review.

Rich amber color / clear / large head pretty good retention

Medium sweet malt / tart hops

Really sweet malted barley / mild metallic head taste / finishes dry / notable alcohol tastes, warmth, and thickness / tart hops – floral and a little citric / roasted chocolate and toasty warm malt / woody bitter flavor – perhaps from oaking

Thick smooth body / medium carbonation

Powerful ale, lots of malt and hops. Incredibly sweet – but balancingly hopped. I like it. Good sipper.

4.1/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Service Temp. 50 degrees. 16oz German Balloon Glass straight from the bottle used in the judging. Tasted 7/15/2007

With a deep orange & hazy appearance the beer lends itself to a mild head retention with a cobweb of white lace moving slowly down the glass.

Swirling the glass and applying the aroma to my nose I detect mild to medium oak intermixed with a nice honey sweet maltiness & some piney hops.

Sipping this I detect a hint of sharpness coming off, as well some spice mixed in with a little bit of raisins and alcohol stringency.

Mouthfeel comes off a little thick but overall doesn't drown the pallete or my tounge.

Overall impression, a nice Imperial to consume on a evening at dusk during the fall months.

3.74/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer poured a copper/orange color with a light head. The aroma is of malt and caramel with the hops noticeable in the background. The taste is sweet and malty with not as much hop flavor as I expected – slight bitter aftertaste. The mouthfeel is full and a bit oily. Overall this is an interesting beer that is complex, but perhaps a little too sweet for more than one in a session.

3.28/5  rDev -21.5%

For me, this was an example of too much of a good thing, pumped up with so much that it just couldn't carry the burden. Heavy mouthfeel, bordering on syrupy. Powerfully sweet malt wrestled with a blunt hops attack. A bit of burn from the ETOH. Not a badly made beer, by any means, but the volume was turned up too high.

4.05/5  rDev -3.1%

Appearance: Quite clear pale copper in color, with a small, persistent white head, scattered lacing, and slight carbonation.

Aroma: Pronounced herbal hop presence, with a slight note of old cheese, caramel malt, and strong, sweet alcohol.

Taste: Deep flavors of sweet caramel malt from start to finish. The hop presence is rather mild, almost to the point of being understated, finishes with a mild, but lingering herbal hop note. There are subtle oak notes, the alcohol note is utterly concealed.

Mouth feel: Smooth, soft, almost syrupy, very full.

Drinkability/notes: Superbly crafted, as are all Dogfish Head products, well worth a try.

4.03/5  rDev -3.6%

12oz bottle purchased about a month ago at Jim's Homebrew in Spokane for $4.61.No freshness date.

Poured an orangey-copper color with a big, creamy off-white head that took it's time settling. Thick sheets of lace adorn the sides of my EWU pintglass.

The first smell that hops out is the oakiness. This is coupled with a spicy hoppiness. As the beer warms the oakiness seems to recede and things begin to smell more balanced.

The taste is unlike any IPA I've ever had - sweet, but in a way that seems to work. There are bittering hops at work that balance the sweetness out and provide a dry finish. I don't doubt that this might seem a bit cloying if I were to consume multiple pints, but this makes an excellent sipper.

This has a relatively oily mouthfeel. Medium bodied.

This made an excellent nightcap, but I don't think I would want to consume several in a sitting, due to both the high abv and sweetness, whihc might be disagreeable in a large quantity. One of the most interesting beers I've had in a while, and I'd buy it again to serve as a nightcap or dessert beer.

3.62/5  rDev -13.4%

I probably went into this review with a slight prejudice. I love oak aged beers. Aroma was nutty, dark chocolate, mild coffee, but not very hoppy. Of course it had a large oak aroma as well as some vanilla. Small creamy head that disappeared. Flavor bordered on that of a barleywine rather than a DIPA. One can tell this is DFH beer - sweet. Almost too sweet. I've set quite a few aside to age for a year or two.

4.12/5  rDev -1.4%

Served from a 12 oz bottle poured into a Duvel tulip from a year of cellaring.

Appearance: Rich amber in color with shades of ruby, looks like a glass of strong iced tea. A small off white head tops the beer and fades quickly to a wispy lacing topping the beer. Tiny streams of carbonation bubbles race to the surface.

Smell: Hints of caramel and brown sugar with an underlying fruitness. Slightly oaky with a just a wiff of alcohol.

Taste: Starts with a nice fruitiness, raisins come to mind along with a touch of apricot. Big malt backbone with plenty of dark brown sugar and molasses in the middle. Hops show in the finish but not in a big way, only slightly bitter. Pretty dry finish which could be caused by the oak. Slight hint of alcohol but that is to be expected for a 10% abv beer.

Mouthfeel: Rich and creamy, full bodied, nicely carbonated.

Drinkability/Notes: A pretty malty DIPA, not quite what I was expecting considering I've had this beer previously. It definitely mellowed out since the 1st time I tried this. Hops are very subdude but in a good way. Plenty of molasses and brown sugar with the oak playing a nice roll. Alcohol is present in the nose and the flavor profile but its not overwhelming. All in all a really well crafted beer. I would almost consider this a barleywine instead of a DIPA but who cares, its still a damn fine beer. Definitely a beer to savor and one I will buy again. Seek and enjoy, highly recommended.

4.47/5  rDev +6.9%

120z bottle poured into a snifter glass from the Dogfish Head Alehouse in Gaithersburg, MD. It has been aging for about 8 months so says the bartender.

Beautiful amber haze when out of the bottle. very thin beige color head. No stick on the glass.

Very powerful floral aroma. Fruit and toasted malts are present as well but very subdued.

Possibly the smoothest beer I have ever had. Ever. Big malty taste followed by floral notes again. A rather subdued hop flavor but you can still tell that they are there. On the other end are lots of fruit flavors, mango and peachs come to mind. You can also begin to taste the big alcohol note when it warms up.

A wonderful brew through and through. Had it with Brats and I thought I died and went to beer heaven. Will definitly pick this one up again. The label says to "...hoard from the non-believers." And that is exactly what I plan to do.

Burton Baton from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery