Burton Baton | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Burton BatonBurton Baton

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

This oak-aged gentle giant has been gaining popularity over the past few years and is now available year-round.

For Burton Baton, we brew two "threads," or batches, of beer: an English-style old ale and an imperial IPA.

After fementating the beers separately in our stainless tanks, they're transferred and blended together in one of our large oak tanks. Burton Baton sits on the wood for about a month.

When enjoying the Burton Baton, you'll find an awesome blend of the citrus notes from Northwestern hops melding with woody, vanilla notes from the oak. The wood also tends to mellow the 10% ABV of Burton, so tread cautiously!

Added by Todd on 12-08-2004

Reviews: 1,833 | Ratings: 6,402
3.72/5  rDev -11%

I hate that I'm giving this beer such a low rating. I like that it's unique, and it certainly is, but it's a bit too sweet, too flat, and too not enough hops. This is a single, and has likely been sitting on a shelf for around a year, so my rating may be unfair. It is, however, fair to this bottle, in my subjective opinion.

Now, I purchased another 6 of Hop Slam today ... I'm sure I know which will prevail of the two, if I'm up to it.

3.6/5  rDev -13.9%

Pours with a respectable off-white head that quickly disperses into a thin coat of bubbles. Nice, sticky lace.

Strong malt aroma with bread, molasses, hay and very little hops.

The first thing that hits me with the taste is sweetness; almost cloyingly so. Next comes a slight hoppy bitter edge then raisins, dates, molasses and a bit of citrus. I know this is a big beer but the sugary finish is too much for me.

Big body that coats the mouth. A bit on the heavy side. Good sipping beer but I couldn't drink more than about a half-pint at a time.

4.32/5  rDev +3.3%

12/30/2007
Burton Baton bottled 01/08/07

As a Dogfish Head fan I was glad to happen upon a few 4-packs of this one.

Outstanding aroma. Plenty of caramel, dark fruits and hops in the aroma. Oak adds a richness.
It tastes exactly like it smells. This is another fine sipper that will enhance.

Mouthfeel was creamy and a little carbonation giggle.

It is a bit sweet to have more than one. However, it is a great special occasion beer.

4.07/5  rDev -2.6%

appearance - Cloudy orange amber color, small off-white head with some thin lace.

smell - Fruits, floral, and toasted grains here.

taste - Has a hoppy taste up front and then taste of fruits, like raisons and grains kick in.

mouthfeel - Medium body with some carbonation.

drinkability - Enjoyed , stored for almost a year. Can't wait till Feb. kicks around again.

Pours a clear darker amber with a white head that falls to nothing after a while. Nose is slightly hopped with a thick raisin quality to it. Flavor is extremely sweet at first in a syrup like kind of way. Very slight noticeable alcohol. Raisin flavor is strong. Feel is thin with bubble and thick and strong with syrup qualities. Almost seems elixir like. Definitely drinkable. I wouldn’t go so far as to say this is one of the best DIPAs around, but it is pretty interesting in a Dogfish Head kinda way.

4.12/5  rDev -1.4%

Drinkability suffers a bit because of the high ABV but otherwise this is a masterpiece here.

Huge Dogfish fan anyway so I decided to break this out here on Christmas Eve and check it out.

Looks very similar to the 90 Minute, except maybe it is a touch darker.

Smells absolutely incredible. Piney hoppy tang mixed the dark woody smell of the oak... I could sit and smell this for quite some time before actually drinking it. I think I will.

Everything I was hoping for in this one. That familiar IIPA hoppiness combined with the oak, almost like a nice bourbon here. Man, this is really good.

The alcohol does peek through on this quite a bit especially as it warms but you know what you're getting with 10% so I ain't bitching about it.

Just an excellent beer that I will be having again and again and again and....

4.17/5  rDev -0.2%

2005 vintage, poured into my FFF nonic glass

Light tan head of millions and millions of tiny bubbles. Moderate head retention leaving tiny traces of lace on the glass edge. Head peters out in a few minutes to a rim of foam and smatterings of bubbles. Reletively clear dark orange body. No trace of carbonation bubbles.
Caramel and alcohol on the nose. Hops defintely still present, but really smells like a barleywine at this point. Can really get a whiff of the oak at this point.
As for the taste, spicy yet malty. Getting some oaked fruityness. Kinda all over the place. I'm glad to see the hops still present on the tongue. I'm not sure what kind went into the hop bill, but they have stood the test of time. It's definitely drinking like an oak aged barleywine. Medium/+ mouthfeel. Thicker than your average IIPA but very smooth. You can tell the alcohol is there, but the 10% well hidden. I've had 8%'ers that were more boozy than this. It does catch up to you at the end of the beer though. I'm glad I have 4 more of these vintages. This is how I like my "barleywines", hoppy and complex. The oak really doesn't hurt either.

4.53/5  rDev +8.4%

Thanks MuenchenerKindl for this trade.

12oz. brown bottle poured into a snifter. Bottled 1/08/07.

A: Pours a beautiful sunset orange with the exact hazing. 1 solid finger of eggshell head comes up and eventually dies to a frothy skim on the surface. Some patchy lacing.

S: Hops seem to have died down some.. at least they're not as strong as I expected. Some alcohol notes as well as some oak. Some sweetness coming from some golden raisins. Alcohol really stands out later in the drink.

T/M: At first sip, the bitterness is very subdued. I still get some sweet grapefruit with a touch of puckering lime. In the middle, I get a touch of iced tea flavor before the an oak and vanilla creaminess comes through. Getting some dried fruits... dates or figs? Alcohol just barely noticeable throughout the entire drink, but doesn't hurt or dominate in any way. It finishes very dry with some bitterness finally coming through with some strength.

D: Very tasty and I find it hard to take my time sipping it. I could find myself drunk before I knew it if I wasn't careful. I'd like to try this fresh to compare but I'm thinking in between 1 and 2 years would be a good drinking window.

3.01/5  rDev -28%

Thanks to HopDawg from whom I received this beer. I am on a long quest to try every DFH beer I can.

Poured from a 12 ounce beer into a Unibroue oversized wineglass.

A. A beautiful beer. Poured an orange red brew with a durable one finger head. Bountiful carbonation arising from the glass.

S. Too much malt. In my humble opinion a DIPA should reek of hops. They are mildly apparent but the overwhelming smell is a toffee like malt.

T. Like it smells. The hops are in the background. Too sweet. Too malty for a DIPA.

M. Mild body and sweet cloying feel.

D. The abv and limited ability would drop this score. I have like many of DFH's beers,but like 120MIN this is too sweet.

2.21/5  rDev -47.1%

Bottled on 01.08.07, drank on 11.05.07.

Poured into a DFH snifter, Burton Baton revealed an orange-red color with a small white head. As I take a whiff of it, I pick up that oh-so-familiar smell that only a strong Dogfish Head brew gives off. Overpowering sweet citrus from the hops with a weird oak/toffee backbone. I think to myself, "I hope this does not become an Immort Ale disaster." To this day the Immort Ale is one of the only beers I have ever poured down the drain.

Upon drinking, it left no lacing along the side of the glass and a thin white film of head remained on the beer that could be rejuvenated with an easy swirl of the glass. The flavor was dominated by a cloying sweetness that was impossible for me to get past. Very hot in the mouth as well from the unmasked 10% alcohol.

I have to say that I am a fan of a lot of DFH beers (i.e. 60 Min, WW Stout, Indian Brown, Raison D'Etre), but the sweetness presented by this beer is something that I have had a problem with in the Immort Ale as well as the 120 Minute IPA. It is very syrupy and just unpleasant. I will say the Burton Baton is my favorite of those three beers. I was able to drink the entire bottle, but it was somewhat of a struggle and I will not be trying it again for quite some time. If you're into the Immort or 120 Min then give it a shot, otherwise try laying it down for a year or two after you buy it and then see if the flavors develop a bit more.

2.68/5  rDev -35.9%

12 oz bottle into pint glass.

A: Pours a cloudy amber color with about a one finger head. head goes down pretty quick with a thin blanket left that leaves decent bits of lace.

S: Rum, caramel, molasses.

T: Big sweet alcohol taste. Didn't get the hop flavors that I was expecting. I did get a oaky chardonnay flavor. The honey sweetness is almost overpowering, diacetyl notes for sure. This beer is very well crafted, but too sweet for my palate.

D: If it wasn't so sweet it would be good. This beer reminds me of a Camelot mead that I once had. Too sweet, and it doesn't mellow in your glass like some beers that initially shock you. If you like sweet, drink this beer.

4.24/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

The beer cascades from the 12 ounce bottle a slightly bemused orange amber color with a generous bright creamy white head that very slowly dissipates, leaving the lace to forms tight concealing curtain. Nose is filled with fruit aromas, banana, peaches, cumquats, (just kidding about the cumquats), pleasant oak like tartness, strawberry cotton candy sweetness also noted. Front has a delectable toasted grain profile with the vanilla tartness at the back, also, the alcohol, makes an appearance, top is medium in feel to the palate. Finish has perky acidity, the hop flowers spicy and the alcohol warms the tummy, sweetly dry aftertaste sticks mightily to the palate, this is a magnificent beer, oak-aged 90 minute ale, toasted malt, and the snap of the alcohol, “WOW”!

4.45/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I was excited to see how the oak would interact with the hops on this powerhouse ale. A huge 3 finger head jumps to the top of the glass with perfect tan color. This was a surprise for an oak aged brew to have this much carbonation and head retention. Body is an attractive dark brownish amber. Nose has presence of vanilla, soft hops, oak and maybe a hint of tree sap. Super interesting array of flavors going on here. Dark ripe fruit, syrupy hops, orange drink, rich almost peppery malt notes, and an oaked bitter sweet throughout. Slight lengthy bitter forms tword the end. Warms the belly well yet alchol is well hidden in the taste. Thick mouthfeel for the style. Very enjoyable.

3.52/5  rDev -15.8%

Pours cloudy, orange, thin tan head. Low carbonation. Smell is sweet, woody, faint aromas of citrus from the hops.

Taste is quite sweet. Thick mouthfeel lends to the lingering, sticky sweetness. Smooth vanilla and caramel notes... maybe butterscotch? Underlaying bitterness in the complexity of flavors. This one might benefit from a bit more aging. The flavors are a touch abrasive, but otherwise interesting. Warming alcoholic finish. Becomes more drinkable as it warms... reminds me of many English barleywines I've tried.

Thanks to todd1 for this bottle!

4.7/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz. bottle, poured into a snifter. From notes taken at the DFH Alehouse in Falls Church.

A: Pink-grapefruit-tinged dark copper, a truly unique color. Decent off-white head layer, not much lacing.

S: Vanilla, caramel and butterscotch, grape, mandarin orange and light citric scents, overall a very complex, winey. sweet smell, tempered by a slight tickle of citrus. The grape and butterscotch really come out as it warms up.

T: Wow, it's very thickly layered. Vanilla, caramel and butterscotch flavors lend a chewy sweetness to the brew, and the grape I smelled asserts itself with a kind of ice-wine-esque character that heightens with the temperature. Hops are there, mostly orangey and grapefruity, lending some IPA character to what really tastes more like an oak-aged barleywine. Sort of reminds me of a lighter, less cloying version of some of the Lees' Harvest Ale offerings. Very complex--odd that it is listed as having the 90 Min. as a component, as the oak-aging and English characteristics have made this almost unrecognizable as a cousin to that brew.

M: Despite the thick, chewy nature of the flavors, this is neither syrupy nor cloying. It's certainly a meal of a beer, but it would just make the four-pack last longer. Nice balance of big malty sweetness with highly comfortable feel.

D: It's a sipper, but it sure is a good 'un. Glad I ordered it.

4.18/5  rDev 0%

I love this beer. Not being a huge fan of super-hopped IPAs, the caramelly, butterscotched flavors of Burton Baton are great. Though I can understand that people expecting more of a hop-punch will be disappointed or have a blah reaction. This almost ventures into dessert-wine territory. I'm going to save four bottles of this stuff and try it out in a year or two.

4.35/5  rDev +4.1%

ST: A 12 oz bottle poured into a Westmalle glass goblet.

A: A nice reddish hue. Gold tones.

S: Sweet fruits, flowers, a nice sweet aroma.

T: Smooth, nothing like an IPA. Spices, fruits, a wonderful taste, the oak aging really does wonders for this brew.

M: Smooth, creamy, very nice.

D: One i would order on a regular basis, a good crossover beer for that friend who is getting in to craft/micros.

Dogfish Head is becoming a favorite of mine....

2.08/5  rDev -50.2%

I really really really wanted to like this beer...
Huge fan of IIPA and Dogfish head...

I haven't had to pour a beer down the sink in years..

Way too sugary, way too sweet. Hops don't even really make it through.
This beer killed my taste buds. I had to stop drinking after I had it and it gave me a headache, probably from all the sugar. As I let the beer swirl over my tongue, I could taste the bourbon.

Maybe I had the wrong impression of what this was going to taste like. I tried, even let it sit out for a bit hoping that as it warms, it would become more palatable.

I will put the other 3 bottles down.... for a LONG time... maybe that will calm the sweetness.

3.7/5  rDev -11.5%

I received two of these in what has turned out to be a personal BIF between myself and Sudsdog. I finally got around to drinking this one and the other is buried deep in the closet for ageing.

A: Pours a nice amber red color with little to no head. It is a very thick looking brew that despite the minimal head does manage to leave behind a little lacing.

S: Very sweet smelling with notes of rock candy, malt, and a touch of oak. This baby has the aroma of good peanut brittle.

T: Not at all what I expected. It is very sweet and creamy initially. You are hit with a huge rush of lightly spiced brown sugar with a dash of vanilla. A maltiness is then noted with a mild hint of oak. What I don't taste is the hops of the 90 min used to brew this one. Wish it could have finished or started for that matter with a rush of bitter piney hops. Bitter sweet would have made this brew.

M: This is a thick brew no doubt about it. I started drinking it a little on the cool side which may have thickened it up a bit, but by the time I was finished and it had warmed the beer was still rather thick in body.

D: Due to the sweetness I could only drink one.

Overall: Unique. This beer is not at all what I expected. Very sweet and malty... Are you sure there is 90 Min IPA in here. Short of the lack of hops it is still enjoyable though. There are a lot of flavors that come at you in a rush and in waves. It's a complex brew that hides the ABV very nicely.

I will age my second one and see how it comes out. Next time around I will know what to expect with this one and the review may be a few points higher.

The bottle says to share it with loved ones and hoard it from non-believers. Well I am a believer in all that DFH does, so Sudsdog thanks for sharing.

3.5/5  rDev -16.3%

Note: Overall scores averaged.

Aged version = 4.2 overall
Three years in, and it's my best aging success story ever. Then again, it had nowhere to go but up.
Slightly muddied in apperance. And not much head.
The aroma is vanilla toffee, dried apricots and dates, wood, and Sherry.
Taste is all buttery-vanilla-caramel-toffee dried fruits- mainly dates and figs. A touch of booze and wood gives another nod towards Sherry.
Full modied, with some CO2 teasing out.
After 3 years, this is a nice barleywine, with a notable flourish of wood aging. Alcohol is toned down. The hops are phased out entirely, and that's fine, as this was always a poor excuse for a DIPA. Kudos on the improvement. I never thought I say this, but I'll probably buy this again...when I'm feeling very, very patient.

But when fresh, it's a nuke (overall score 2.2, see below):

Dark copper hued with a thin yellowed foam.
Nose of fallen pine needles, cardboard, maple, and dark spiced rum. The booze quotient is so noticable as too distract form everything else. There is also as dried notion of manure to further distract and detract.
Enters the mouth full of burnt corn syrup and brown sugar and melted rubber. Sticky, and a bit nauseating. Then it gets worse. Hops add cooked cabbage. Barrel-aging adds burnt butter. Diacetyl and DMS are always factors in DFH brews, but most overcome, while this wallows in them. There is no off-setting bitterness to the stagnant burnt malt or the off-flavors.
Syrup textured. This presents more as an old ale than anything IPA-related. As such, it is still an utter chore, and fatally flawed.
In not as big a fan of 90 Minute as most, but damn, I wish I had one now instead of this.
I love the concept here, but loathe the execution.
Really hideous.

4.23/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle with a "bottled on" date of 01/08/07. Leaves a one finger tan-hued head, and has some retention, as well as some spotty lacing. Body is a clear, orange-tinted copper. Also, it seems to be very effervescent.

Smell - apples, butterscotch, some vanilla. No real aroma of hops, which seems weird given the style. Nonetheless, the aroma is mouthwatering.

Taste - exactly as the nose indicates, still not getting much hops in taste, or in aromatics. There is delicious maltbread sweet rolls laced with apples and vanilla, and some spicy alcohol, but no hops.

Mouthfeel - medium bodied, and at times syrupy.

Drinkability - this is good ale. The high abv limits sessionability. If you are looking for a DIPA, you may be a little let-down, as the barrel-aging seems to almost utterly mellow out the hops to a non-entity, even as a bittering agent - but..., nonetheless this is a good big beer to sip and enjoy.

3.8/5  rDev -9.1%

Very cloear copper colour- surprisingly so. Perhaps quite filtered. Not much head to speak of, some minor lacing. Smell- smells quite sugary. Taste- very sweet wtih the woods fairly pronounced. Medium cabonation. Slightly boozy with caramel and doughy malts in forefront. The hops are more herbal and grassy than bitter citrus. It finishes decently though- not too much cloying sweetness on the finish. The vanilla and wood really shows up on the finish too. Hops are kind of an afterthought in this beer. Drinkability is decent- it is a slow sipper. Quite enjoyable, not an every day beverage.

3.85/5  rDev -7.9%

I bought this 12 ounce bottle at Capone's Restaurant in Norristown, Pa.
Appearance: Pretty carbonated, a brown body with an dark eggshell head. The head was only a couple of fingers tall, and left not much lacing and disapated rather quick.
Smell: A sweet, tart, boozy aroma. I was a bit suprised at the alcohol smell with "only" a 10% ABV.
Taste: Very sweet and boozy, not as tart as the aroma. Very intense, and not as hoppy as I was expecting from a DIPA from DFH.
Mouthfeel: Very very smooth and syrupy.
Drinkabilty: Good.
Don't drink and review.

Rich amber color / clear / large head pretty good retention

Medium sweet malt / tart hops

Really sweet malted barley / mild metallic head taste / finishes dry / notable alcohol tastes, warmth, and thickness / tart hops – floral and a little citric / roasted chocolate and toasty warm malt / woody bitter flavor – perhaps from oaking

Thick smooth body / medium carbonation

Powerful ale, lots of malt and hops. Incredibly sweet – but balancingly hopped. I like it. Good sipper.

4.1/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Service Temp. 50 degrees. 16oz German Balloon Glass straight from the bottle used in the judging. Tasted 7/15/2007

With a deep orange & hazy appearance the beer lends itself to a mild head retention with a cobweb of white lace moving slowly down the glass.

Swirling the glass and applying the aroma to my nose I detect mild to medium oak intermixed with a nice honey sweet maltiness & some piney hops.

Sipping this I detect a hint of sharpness coming off, as well some spice mixed in with a little bit of raisins and alcohol stringency.

Mouthfeel comes off a little thick but overall doesn't drown the pallete or my tounge.

Overall impression, a nice Imperial to consume on a evening at dusk during the fall months.

Burton Baton from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery