Burton Baton - Dogfish Head Brewery

Burton BatonBurton Baton

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: Todd on 12-08-2004

This oak-aged gentle giant has been gaining popularity over the past few years and is now available year-round.

For Burton Baton, we brew two "threads," or batches, of beer: an English-style old ale and an imperial IPA.

After fementating the beers separately in our stainless tanks, they're transferred and blended together in one of our large oak tanks. Burton Baton sits on the wood for about a month.

When enjoying the Burton Baton, you'll find an awesome blend of the citrus notes from Northwestern hops melding with woody, vanilla notes from the oak. The wood also tends to mellow the 10% ABV of Burton, so tread cautiously!

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Burton Baton Alström Bros
Ratings: 6,130 | Reviews: 1,813
4.01/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Not much smell. Taste is a combo of a quad and iPa. Interesting.

4.45/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

Great beer. Has a bit of boozieness , but not what I would consider too much. I would definitely pick this up again.

4.52/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Look - Pours a beautiful, clear amber color with thick, creamy, off-white head. Great lacing in the glass as well.

Smell - The smell isn't very aromatic, however, it is pleasant. Piney hop aroma followed by something sweet that I just can't put my finger on. Smells like brown sugar almost.

Taste - Absolutely delicious. Very sweet and subtle hop flavor. Wood and vanilla flavors are in there as well. Very complex and very yum!

Feel - Smooth as a baby's bottom. ABV is barely detectable.

Overall - Exceeded my expectations. Very delicious, complex, and well-crafted beer. Dogfish head does it again.

4.06/5  rDev -4.2%

Bottle poured into a Sierra Nevada tulip glass

A: Pours gorgeous slightly hazy deep golden orange amber with a creamy off white head that settles and laces lightly.

S: Sweet caramel malt up front, some pine, light citrus, and floral notes.

T: Pine and light citrus, grapefruit and a little orange, a touch floral, settles into a big caramel malt sweetness, a little honey maybe even vanilla, and some fruitiness. Maybe a little mid palate woody note. Alcohol is very well hidden.

M: Towards the fuller end of medium body, low carbonation, very smooth, though it can get a bit syrupy.

O: Really hard to score this one. I'm a self proclaimed hop head so I love a good bitter kick in the face. This one is very smooth, well accented with hops, but on the malty sweet side. In my personal taste, it's good, and given that it's a partially oak aged blend, I would say it turned out quite well. Maybe not as hoppy as I'd like, but still enjoyable.

Best damn beer I've had thus far every thing about it is phenomnal. Flavor is out of this world.

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

Poured from a bottle into a spiegelau IPA glass. Cold it drinks as an IPA with some oak characteristics as it warms to room temp more of an oaked barley wine. Very solid brew from dogfishhead. I can't recall the last time I tried this beer (several years) but I am definitely going to be keeping some on hand from now on. For me it's as good as 120 IPA.

3.36/5  rDev -20.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

i can see how some one might like this, but i think its gross.

4.85/5  rDev +14.4%

By far the best beer I've tried from dogfish head. I'd drink this any day of the week. It's not a session beer but I crave it daily.

3.51/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Bottled on 09/30/2014. Sampled and reviewed on March 9, 2015.

12 oz. bottle into a Sam Adams glass. Pours amber with a 1 finger head of white foam. Smell is pine, citrus, orange peel, and grapefruit. Light bodied. Definite alcohol bite, but not bad. I get oranges, lemon, pine, and honey on the taste. Dry finish. A bit of malt on the aftertaste, but probably due to the age.

Not sure if it was the oak barrel aging or the age of the beer that was off for me, but I didn't care much for this one. At 5+ months old, common sense would say to avoid this, as it is an IPA. I took a chance, though, because it was a relatively high ABV. Maybe I'll try this one again fresh and see if it's any better.

Edit: After reading several reviews on this one, I see a lot of people mentioning the matly taste and comparing this beer to a barleywine of sorts, so maybe 5 months on this doesn't change the taste much. It's getting better as I'm getting drunker. Still a bit off, in my opinion.

4.62/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This is a great beer. You can find characteristics of both styles, and scents and flavors of oak come through in a good way. Supremely smooth and easy to drink.

4.28/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This beer was surprisingly good. I was sure at a abv of 10% I would get a good burn when drinking this beer. Its surprisingly smooth. I think I'll have seconds on this one.

3.78/5  rDev -10.8%

Malty and woodsy with a hint of caramel. 3 sips and I was feeling something. The fact I had no idea it was a 10% says a lot about the drinkability.

4.11/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

mostly brown see through body, almost white head. Caramel and malted almost barleywine like taste. Alcohol, malt, sugar and funk in the smell. Old prunes and yeasty wine in the taste. Heavy mouthfeel. very woody like oak. Any citrus is deeper older orange type thing. some vanilla in there.

4.67/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Very carbonated mouth feel. Very hoppy initial taste with oak woody flavor at the end. Almost forgot this was 10% abv until the buzz hit.. Haha. Creamy mouth feel... Awesome beer!

4.36/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pour a deep amber with off white foamy head and mild effervescence
Smells of wood, nectarine/peach, very floral
Tastes malty and sweet up front, with pleasant peach, then hint of spice, citrus and pine, a pleasant flat woody taste near the end note and rather clean finish with a pleasant astringent, alcohol warmth to cleanse the palate. Profile changes as the beer heats up in the hand, becomes more sweet oddly enough.
Mouthfeel is between 2% and whole milk texture.
Overall, this beer is pretty amazing and thoroughly enjoyable. The perfect balance of flavors and another Dogfish classic, I will definitely be stocking up on this one!

4.54/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Aged a year and 2 months roughly

4.85/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 5

Overall an amazing beer. Great complexity, and surprising drinkability for being 10% ABV. I definitely recommend trying it.

4.25/5  rDev +0.2%

I know this isn't exactly a hard beer to find, but I've been on the lookout for a few months now, being increasingly interested in trying it. I got a $4 single and, as usual, poured it into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint. Bottled 1/27 and poured 2/26.

Appearance: Poured straight down the glass and got a pretty modest finger of head -- creamy and soapy, but more creamy, and egg shell colored. The beer is a moderately hazy orange-brown color.

Smell: Since it's almost frozen from the fridge, it's hard to get a good nose on it. I definitely get the woodiness from the barrels first and foremost. I don't know if Dogfish head specifies if they use bourbon barrels, but I'm pretty sure they don't, and I'm thankful for that -- bourbon barrel non-stouts tend to underwhelm me. The oak also gives a vanilla vibe, with some citrusy hops in there as well. Even pretty much ice cold, this beer smells great. Not extremely potent, but super pleasant.

Taste/feel: The hops really shine on the tongue -- juicy, fresh, sweet, somewhat tangy (!?), and just delicious. Herbal hops with some citrus are the dominant hop flavors I get, followed by the barrel and the malt which all combines to make for a phenomenal aftertaste. The feel is also incredible on this beer... it has about a medium body with a fairly high prickly carbonation that really suits this beer well: it just makes the hops "pop". As far as alcohol, it's untraceable -- nowhere to be found. For bitterness, well, this is a DIPA. It's obviously hoppy, but *too* drinkable at 10%, and isn't very bitter at all to my tongue.

Just an excellent, excellent beer. I liked it the more I went on. The smell was better than the appearance, the taste was better than the smell... Burton Baton is a must try. The bottle suggests maybe cellaring this beer, but I wouldn't ever do that. The fresh, bursting hops is what makes this beer -- the barrel just adds a bit of depth. If you see this beer, pick it up.

4.2/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

On tap at DFH Fairfax. Similar aromas as 90 min plus roasty/malty notes. Caramel and ripe red tropical fruit right off the bat. Slight hop bitterness overshadowed by creamy/malty flavors on the finish.

4.24/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured a copper-red color in a Spiegelgau glass with a 3F head which slowly resolves.

Aroma: wonderful pungent citrus and pine. There is a special hops combo here.

MF: very carbonated.

Taste: the aroma transitions to the taste: spicy citrus and pine.Not the typical grapefruit
citrus in a lot of IPAs- this is a special spicy blend of flavors.

Overall: the citrus intensifies as does the malt character with warming. The oak masks the alcoholic finish. Excellent beer.

4.54/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Serving type: bottle with 8/2015 date

A: pours a lovely honey, burnished copper. 1.5 fingers of white foam, which leaves little lacing but slides down the glass as I drink.

S: nose is sweet malt, subtle wood. Hops are subdued.

T: extremely well-balanced. Alcohol is well-hidden. Sweet malts rule the day, with subtle and smooth oak, wood flavors. Sticky, resinous hops buttress the huge malt character. As it warms it develops a slight boozy kick- very nice. Somewhat dry finish.

M: medium-bodied, oily, light carbonation.

O: very impressive! I wasn't ever a fan of oak-aged beers... Until now! Fruity old ale and oak flavors blend nicely, reinforced by sticky hops and sweet malts. Love it, another home run from DFH.

4.59/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Killer beer, want another to keep, to age more

4.3/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Very tasty, sweet malts, floral hops, dried dark fruits.

4.53/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Well balanced malt and hop ratio. Watch out for this one 10% abv is not apparent.

4.43/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is one hell of a brew, it is exactly as advertised. Get the IPA upfront followed by the best flavors of whiskey in the finish. Balanced perftectly and alcohol is not present, nice warming effect. Dogfish Head delivers and you have to try if you get your hands on one.

Burton Baton from Dogfish Head Brewery