Burton Baton - Dogfish Head Brewery

Burton BatonBurton Baton

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: Todd on 12-08-2004

This oak-aged gentle giant has been gaining popularity over the past few years and is now available year-round.

For Burton Baton, we brew two "threads," or batches, of beer: an English-style old ale and an imperial IPA.

After fementating the beers separately in our stainless tanks, they're transferred and blended together in one of our large oak tanks. Burton Baton sits on the wood for about a month.

When enjoying the Burton Baton, you'll find an awesome blend of the citrus notes from Northwestern hops melding with woody, vanilla notes from the oak. The wood also tends to mellow the 10% ABV of Burton, so tread cautiously!

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Burton Baton Alström Bros

Photo of

You rated this beer. Add a review.

I gave this 4,0 all the way around. It poured a lovely orange bronze colour with a nice 2-finger thick soapy head. Heavy, sticky lacing clung to the sides of my glass. Nice. Smell is sweet, candy hops. Almost smells like Dreadnaught with its fruity, mango-like aroma. I really enjoyed the smell of this one. Mouthfeel was right about where it needed to be in this one. Not too heavy, but certainly "meaty". I don't know if syrupy is the word I would use, but it certainly is thicker than I expected.
Where I can indeed tell that this is over 6%, I feel it drinks below 10, so the alcohol is well hidden. If I didn't know any better, I would guess this to be low 8's; 8,3, perhaps? This is really good beer and I'm glad to have had the chance to try it.

A: Poured a murky amber with very little head.

S: For DIPA it sure was hidden behind nice hints of oak and vanilla flavors. There was a little hop presence but not what you'd expect.

T: Again, not alot of hops present but it doesn't matter really, because the oak and sweet malts work very well together. The vanilla was in there but not as much as I picked it up on the nose.

M: Smooth and easy to drink. No sandpaper like feeling across the tongue like some DIPA's.

D: At 10% it's tough to commit to many of these, but if you can find this bottled it's a must try. I hope to find a few more.

Burton Baton from Dogfish Head Brewery