Get FREE shipping on all US orders of $25 or more from the BeerAdvocate Store.

No promo code required. Offer valid through 4/30.

Ready to gear up? Start shopping →

Burton Baton | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

YOUR RATING = None |

Burton BatonBurton Baton

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

This oak-aged gentle giant has been gaining popularity over the past few years and is now available year-round.

For Burton Baton, we brew two "threads," or batches, of beer: an English-style old ale and an imperial IPA.

After fementating the beers separately in our stainless tanks, they're transferred and blended together in one of our large oak tanks. Burton Baton sits on the wood for about a month.

When enjoying the Burton Baton, you'll find an awesome blend of the citrus notes from Northwestern hops melding with woody, vanilla notes from the oak. The wood also tends to mellow the 10% ABV of Burton, so tread cautiously!

Added by Todd on 12-08-2004

Reviews: 1,833 | Ratings: 6,401
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Bottle date 03/01/10. Poured into a tulip glass.

Pours the color of dark tree sap with a 1/2 inch khaki head that recedes quickly. Moderate lacing.

According to DFH's website, this is a blend between a DIPA and an old ale. The nose suggests more old ale characteristics than hops. Lots of sweet caramel malt, biscuity malt and a bit of musty sweetness. Orangey hops.

Delicious. Drinks like an old ale. Reminds me of the Mad River John Barleycorn if it had a fresh, hoppy bite.

The mouthfeel is medium to full-bodied with low/moderate carbonation. Very appropriate for supporting the hoppiness while not muting any of the sweet malty goodness.

I really dig this beer. Gonna buy a 4 pack for the cellar and see how it fares once the hops fade.

4.6/5  rDev +10%

Poured from a bottle into a Dogfish Head pint glass.

Pours a beautiful, transparent amber with two fingers of head that literally sparkles. A few tiny, slowish bubbles. Strong stalactite lacing.

Smells of mild caramel malt, like toffee chip cookies, with floral & citrus aromas from the hops. Rich & well-balanced.

Flavor is complex: starts with the caramel, almost maple like sweetness. Then the oak kicks in, along with the booze & the bitter hops. Pine-like. Ends with a tangy twist, like blue cheese, & leaves an aftertaste with seeds of all those flavors. This is a doozy, but I'm lovin' the ride!

Mouthfeel is prickly, tingly, & then softens with the foam. A little sticky in the "after-feel" from the sugars. Full.

This might be my favorite offering from Dogfish Head: a little crazy, but I got what I expected & more. I've had a difficult time with other Oaked Imperial IPAs, but this one really did it for me. One is satisfying, I don't think I could drink this baby all evening.

4.6/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Bottled on March 27, 2012. Weathered copper orange in color with a deep chill haze that partially clarifies as this warms. Poured with a rich, rocky off-white foam that slowly reduces to a thick cap that leaves huge sheets of sticky lacings on the glass. Resinous citrus hop aromas are prevalent with a musty earthiness and intensely sweet maltiness. Creamy smooth feel with soft, delicate carbonation. Earthy, musty flavor up front that gives way to a quickly emerging citrus hop flavor into the middle. Citrus and sweet malt flavors through the middle toward the end hat transition to a mellow, musty, vanilla flavor right before the finish . Finishes with a bitter pine hop bite that ushers in a final earthy, musty flavor before a piney hop and slightly boozy finale. Fabulous feel and flavor complexity.

4.6/5  rDev +10%

I was tempted to give this one a perfect score, however I have yet to give out all 5's and as good as this one is, I can think of a few others that may be more worthy of the highest honors.

The appearance is that of a brew that is slightly hazed and garnett colored with a proud standing 2 inch high velvet ivory head that looks to keep track of my every sip with telling sticky layers of Belgian lacing.

The smell is pungeant and whiffs of tropical and citrus fruits explode out of my DFH glass. there is a big sweetness with honey drenched malts and resiney hops. I look like a moron because I can't stop picking up my glass just to smell this amazing concoction.

The oak characteristic adds another dimension to what is already a personal favorite DIPA of mine. The hops are present in the way of soapy/piney. But the real starts of the show is the cake-like bready sweetness this beer offers up.

The feel is spot on: medium-full bodied with moderate co2 levels and oh-so velvety smooth and creamy.

10% has never been so well hidden. Delicious and worth every penny.

4.6/5  rDev +10%

I only finally got to try tBurton this year (the march 2009 release) and it has become by far one of my favorite DFH beers... I enjoyed the bottle pour a bit more than on tap, even, (this may have just been because I was eating while having it on tap).. and after drinking 4 bottles I've realized mre and more how much I like it (a practice I think more BA's should attempt, rather than reviewing a beer after one bottle).. The color is very similar to 90 minute, an amberish, deep copper hue with off-white head.. It's actually got a really beautiful deep red/amber. Simply perfect. the smell is very hoppy but also has a sweetness that is present right behind the hop and is almost the same strength, really showcasing what you'll find in the flavor. The oak presence provides a really nice base. The hop and sweeness in the flavor are balanced perfectly, with a creamy mouthfeel, its like cream soda mixed with hops (which sounds gross, but the beer is amazing).. Its basically exactly what you should expect from what it is- take 90 minute IPA and added maple syrup to it and oak age it.. Amazing.

4.6/5  rDev +10%

Recieved this amazing beer as part of a trade with JasonM of Pittsburgh, PA.

Pours a beautiful what i would call deep caramel color. Bright white head settles to leave a nice, long lasting layer of foam. Nice hoppy nose, faint odors of oak and tobacco, also possibly pears. Taste is very smooth. You can definitely taste the oak, it helps to mellow the characteristic extreme hop bitterness DIPA's usually have. It tastes more like a very hoppy barley wine than a DIPA. Very full bodied and well balanced. Alcohol gives a bit of bite to the back of the throat, but the overall smoothness brought about by the oak aging mellows it substantially.

4.6/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bought in a growler from Lowe's Foods. Touch of sweetness hides the alcohol well. Really unique flavors. Good color and texture. Delicious. I have tried the bottled version since and found excellent as well. One of my favorite DIPAs. Looking forward to my next growler.

four pack of 12 oz bottles $15
Poured into large snifter
golden ruby sunburst with a sticky icky thin head
smells are floral hops and bready malts
tastes thick and bready creamy malt stickiness heavy buttery fruits and citrus hops well balanced with a creamy biscuity malt character, alcohol warms the back of the throat sweet love and joy in a bottle laced with ecstasy and vanilla oak aged threesome flying on wings of apocryphal anthems.. buttery thick and palatable. Heavy booze equals smiling face and goofy exuberance. Jetwaves and dramamine. Fancy bottle means I've been tricked into it... placeboed into a beer I paid too much for but I'm too dumb to care. This is a heavenly nectar. Ambrosia. Something of a myth come to reality. I know what you're thinking.. should I spend this much for a beer.. well, how you living? Big, small? Round, thin? just formalities
Give her a go, she might have something interesting to say!

hare krishna!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

As an IPA drinker I prefer the Imperials, the most. This brew is very smooth for its ABV, which has to come from the oak barrel it ages in. Cloudy Amber in color, with a lacy cream head. The aroma is Oaky, Hopy, and you can definitely smell the ABV. The taste is what, you smell oaky and hopy with a vanilla finish. I have four on my shelf in the closet I am aging... love this brew!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured from 12oz bottle into snifter.

A: Deep orange with ruby highlights. Creamy 1+ finger head,

S: Vanilla, oak, caramel malt and a touch of snap of fruit, slight hint of nuts. Great aroma!

T: Deep, round flavors. Lots of vanilla, carmel and malt and oak. Snappy fruit, I don't quite get citris; maybe tart apple or nectarine?. Very well balanced big taste that fades into a long finish. There is a little hint of alcohol as the beer warms, but it blends well with the rich flavor.

M: Medium body. Silky on the tongue with a little bite at the tail end from the hops.

D: Extreamly drinkable, the high ABV is not apparent. It's a perfectly balanced and weighted beer. I haunted the store in March waiting for the release. I hope to cellar a bit for the ski season. It's rich enough for a winter warmup and clean enough to be refreshing after a day in the snow.

4.61/5  rDev +10.3%

A- Burnt amber with a thick creamy head. Ample frothiness and decent lacing. Moderate carbonation.

S- Pine was the aroma put forth most from the hops. A lot of oak to it. It smelled much more like an old ale or barleywine than a DIPA. Appealing, albeit it slightly light.

T- Superb, and I think worth reclassifying. Very much like a barleywine or an old ale. The hops are definitely there, but there's an undeniably large amount of malt for the style.

The dominant flavors are pine from the hops, and roastiness. The oak comes out after, and is foundational to the entire taste. The richness to the oak comes out after about half your drink, and makes you wish you didn't just have half of it left. It has the amount of character that you'd expect from a drink that has twice the booziness.

I was hoping to get my DIPA fix from this, but I got a barleywine fix. Not the same, but probably better.

M- The mouthfeel is entirely perfect. It rolls around and feels just as full as you'd want. After that, it's full of sticky hop resin to keep you immersed in the taste.

O- Very impressed with this beer. By far, my favorite offering from DFH. I only bought one bottle of this, and I'm wishing I bought the remaining two at the store.

This is a barleywine style beer, that drinks like a DIPA, or perhaps even better. The alcohol is there, but it's not getting in the way one bit. For a 10% beer, I thought it had a great amount of complexity.

4.61/5  rDev +10.3%

I love getting DFH beers just for the fact that I get to use my rounded, heavy-based DFH pint glass properly! Hooray!

I also love the presentation of this particular DFH beer. All of the others have serious YAWN... HO-HUM factor for me. I think, honestly, that it's the neon yellow-green dogfish 'warning label' cap that does it for me. it's so out of place on the earth-toned bottle.

It pours a very clear, very deep oak amber-red, chock full of medium size, very lazy bubbles. The head is two fingers, slightly tan in color, fluffy, and retains well until I've drained it during a few draughts. It leaves behind sticky lacing.

For a 10% DIPA, I expect a lot more hops in the nose - now, I run into a bit of a quandary here, because of these two points: The beer smells amazing. But it doesn't smell hoppy. There are definitely huge notes of influence from the oak aging, a rich woody vanilla creaminess that tones up the medium-roasty malts - there's a big hit of honey in the nose, too, but no bitterness and, really, almost no hops to be found.

Now the taste, on the other hand, is awesome. I mean, really awesome. This is going to be a hard one to describe. Hitting the tongue, there's a really rich, mild sweetness that's kind of a medium blend of honey and caramel, but it's immediately wiped out by the middle, which is the dominating presence of the beer's taste - it's thick, slightly fluffy, with a nutty, earthy, woody flavor - really more of an all around taste sensation than any singular flavors. The finish is slightly dry, with just the tiniest bit of alcohol peeking through, and a slight rosy hop bitterness, but this really isn't what I'd call a DIPA. Not at all. If I called the shots, I'd call this an American Strong Ale.

Mouthfeel - Wow, incredibly thick. Almost 90minute thick and oily, but very easy to drink. It's spiced up with a bit more carbonation than the 90 minute, which really brings out the honey and nutty tones. It really fills the mouth, tightening a taste bud here or there with some alcohol. Swallowing is half-dry, half-lingering stickiness, and the alcohol warms alll the way down.

Okay - this is 10%. Yes, I've mentioned alcohol several times in this review. However, I will go on record as saying this is one of the easiest to drink strong ales I've had in recent memory. Case in point: Double Bastard. Also 10%. That brew is positively evil. It's evil (delicious evil) in a bottle. I had to drink that Bastard very, very slow. This, on the other hand, is a drinker. This is a pussycat all the way down into your belly, where it turns into a monster. I could easily drink a 4-pack of this at a go.

4.61/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A 12oz bottle with a bottled on date of 4.16.15

L - Bronze, with 1 finger of head and tons of sticky lace left all over the glass. Impressive

S - Big hoppy nose. Nice blend of citrus and piney notes.

T - Big citrus but well balanced with bitterness. Damn tasty! The oak aging on wood adds an awesome flavor.

F - Creamy body, oily. Perfect.

O - A delicious DIPA. It does not get much better than this.

4.61/5  rDev +10.3%

Truly enjoyable offering, but I'll quibble a bit on the price, as I tend to do from Dogfish Head. Small, slight head and a deep copper color, and that's where the wining ends. The taste is tremendous, hops and oak in tremendous balance, I'll say it does a better job on this than the Oaked Arrogant Bastard from Stone. Immensely drinkable, which is no small feat considering the ten percent ABV. I set one aside to age, and this is good enough that I may lay a full four pack down and sample at my leisure.

4.62/5  rDev +10.5%

A:poured from bottle, copper in color, very small white head, cloudy, nice lacing. little head retention.
S: wonderful aroma. floral, honey,very slight alcohal and yeast.
T: taste amazing. initial taste is honey, slides to a hoppy spruce flavor, fades to a ruby red grapefruit flavor, with a nice caramel finish. M: thick body, refreshing hoppy bite
D: dangerously drinkable,would drink it all day long if it wasn't 10%. hardly any alchohol taste, making it that much more dangerous.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served in a standard pint glass.

A - Clear copper coloration with a nice 3 finger head, excellent retention, and nicely layered lacing.

S - Nice hoppy aroma, with some citrus notes and just a hint of vanilla.

T - Rich, almost too sweet initially, but it vanishes and is replaced with a nice bitter body and a great dry finish. Alcohol is apparent, however it really works here, with the oak rounding it out.

M - Medium body, oily feel, nice mild carbonation.

D - Outstanding beer. Love the idea, and the execution is almost perfect. Definitely worth trying, even if for the experience.

4.62/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This is a great beer. You can find characteristics of both styles, and scents and flavors of oak come through in a good way. Supremely smooth and easy to drink.

4.62/5  rDev +10.5%

poured into a pint glass, has a nice thick off white head, and a hazy auburn color,

has an oaky smell with a bitter hop finish

taste wise the oak definitely comes through, with a bitter finish, i also detect notes of caramel, there is a very faint alcohol taste. a nice cold weather IIPA

4.62/5  rDev +10.5%

the smell certainly suggests IPA, as the bottle indicates, but with extra oak-aged complexities, most notably vanilla, rounding out the hops. a great aroma.

the taste is where the "two-thread" characterisitics show themselves. to me, this beer is reminiscent of a barley wine and i guess maybe that's the english old ale component. well balanced and incredibly smooth for 10% ABV.

Mouthfeel is thick and creamy. One of my new favorites. I bought a four pack and will let two bottles age awhile... looking forward to that!

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

big thanks to mjtiernan for sending this in a trade. bottled on 08/13/10.

a: cloudy orangeish brown with a big thick off white head. very little lacing.

s: big citrus hops, caramel and pine.

t: citrus explosion, sweetness from malts, slight dry woody taste.

m: big thick creamy body with just a touch of bitterness that fades fast.

o: really enjoyable beer. one of the best iipa's i've had.

4.62/5  rDev +10.5%

My new favorite of all time. Too bad it is so expensive. Seen it range from $14/four up to $25/four.

The beer poured a shade off of burnt copper, and with a bit of haze. I got about a finger deep head on the beer that quickly went away. No lace.

The aroma was "old." It had age. Hops and something behind it all that would not come out until the taste.

That taste was all old aged wood. Reminded me of failing on tall ships. Fresh musty flavor. The malts were nicely balanced with the hops so that neither was overwhelming, but just was absorbed into the palate as one. The oak came through best in the finish. Also very pleasant vanilla and coconut tones.

The mouthfeel was pleasantly mellow an dry. But not so dry that it bored or knocked out one's tongue.It kept me coming back for more.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle into an ale glass.

A - clear copper color, a finger or so of head with decent lacing.

S - citrusy IPA smell, very good.

T - It tastes much like the DFH 90 minute IPA with some subtle hints of oaking. The touch of the aging is very slight so as to no overpower. Exceptional beer.

M - Thick and rich with just the right amount of carbonation.

D - I would drink this all day if I didn't fall off my chair. At 10% ABV I couldn't pound back very many.

4.62/5  rDev +10.5%

Pours a hazy, burnt orange/amber.
The intense aroma is fruity upfront, with notes of peach, pineapple, red grapefruit, and some pine and earthy notes. Obviously, this is a very hoppy smelling beer.
On the palate it is a bit different. It is sweet and fruity up front, with the same tropical notes as the smell but there is also a great balance of sweet caramel and toasty malt followed by a roll of juicy fruit including apricot with more of the peach, pineapple and grapefruit, with a delicate piney bitter finish.
The beer leaves a hint of alcoholic warmth that lets you know this treat packs a punch. It's really delicious and the 10% is well hidden, I suggest starting off with this one and not sticking with it all night or drink it alone to cap the night.

4.63/5  rDev +10.8%

Wo Mama, this one packs a serious hop punch. Dark orange color with a heavy tall sand colored head. The smell is hops and a citrus basket. You can't ignore the hops with the first sip followed by the taste of pine, biscuits and a hint of molasses getting more and more candy like with each sip. The feel is like a thin syrup with lots of sudz, yummy... At 10 ABV and 3 dollars plus a bottle, definitely not one you'd want more then one of in a night drink. Had it with a chicken panini and it seems to be a good pairing.

4.63/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

P: Clear effervescent pale golden body with an off white milky head. Chunky lacing that sloshes around like succulent whale blubber.

S: Rich syrupy amber malts, resinous hop oil, saltine crackers, orange peels, taffy wrappers, damp oak and doughy yeast.

T/M: Taste follows the nose with thick amber malt, resin, orange oil and wood. Chewy body with moderate carbonation finishes dry with a floral bouquet.

O: Fantastic oaked IPA. Chewy and rich. Malt forward with an appropriate balance of resinous hops.

Burton Baton from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery