Burton Baton - Dogfish Head Brewery

Burton BatonBurton Baton

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

This oak-aged gentle giant has been gaining popularity over the past few years and is now available year-round.

For Burton Baton, we brew two "threads," or batches, of beer: an English-style old ale and an imperial IPA.

After fementating the beers separately in our stainless tanks, they're transferred and blended together in one of our large oak tanks. Burton Baton sits on the wood for about a month.

When enjoying the Burton Baton, you'll find an awesome blend of the citrus notes from Northwestern hops melding with woody, vanilla notes from the oak. The wood also tends to mellow the 10% ABV of Burton, so tread cautiously!

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-08-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Burton Baton Alström Bros
scott

2.4/5  rDev -43.3%

V.07

Great looker - nice deep amber coloring, with a thick gel-like appearance that allows only light carbonation. Very large alcohol rim. A typical olde ale/barleywine presentation.
Huge alcohol presence that stings, with a woody backnote. Some floral notes, that is stomped by more alcohol.
A syrupy, cloying mess that has more off-balanced wood than a boy with a Mature rated anime collection. One part simple syrup, one part rubbing alcohol, and one -quarter part attic wood and a dash of vanilla. Impressive?
NOTE - This actually becomes a great nightcap sipper if left open for a while. It numbs the gums, and it should have a little more definition. This could only pair with a cigar.

02-07-2007 20:55:14 | More by scott
andrewinski1

New Hampshire

2.45/5  rDev -42.1%

This one was bottled sometime in April, so it's little more than a month old. Poured into a tulip. Light amber hazy body with a thick off white head. Good lacing.

The smell is sweet and exactly like the artificial cotton candy bubblegum smell. There is a hint of citrus in the aroma as well.

The taste is very sweet, with a bit of the vanilla oak flavor. The hops are very subdued; maybe adding a little floral flavor to the candy sweetness.

The body is medium-large, and the carbonation nice and prickly.

Not an offensive tasting beverage, but I can't say I'm a fan by any means. This is close to being a barleywine, but there isn't any complexity in the taste and it's just too sweet.

05-24-2011 04:47:55 | More by andrewinski1
hrking

Indiana

2.45/5  rDev -42.1%

Nose is hoppy as well as the first sip. Not picking up any oak from nose or taste. 10 percent wow alcohol burn and a little on the bitter side. I expected this to be a little smoother but its just shy of having a bite to it.Not one of my favs by a long shot.If youre a hop head go for if not steer clear.

12-26-2008 23:45:32 | More by hrking
rallison

2.48/5  rDev -41.4%

Pours a beautiful reddish amber color with a 1/2 finger white head that leaves some nice lacing.

Smells overly sweet with lots of caramel and toffee. Touches of wood as well maybe.

The taste here is overly sweet and cloying. Caramel and toffee are overwhelming with touches of fruits. Rich, but not really that enjoyable. No balance. Syrupy. Virtually no hop presence. Alcohol is somewhat present. I don't understand how this rates so high.

Mouthfeel is way too thick and syrupy. I've had more cloying beers, but this is up there. At least give me some hops to balance the sweetness.

Drinkability is poor. Yes, I had this 12oz bottle to myself. Do I regret that? Yes. A 3oz sample would be about right.

Not recommended.

Edit: I drink some more, and it just gets worse. This is a horrible beer. Seriously, how is this a 4.1 average? The last half of the bottle is going down the drain. There is no excuse for *&#* like this.

04-08-2008 06:52:10 | More by rallison

eulerthegrape

04-18-2014 22:26:25 | More by eulerthegrape
teromous

2.6/5  rDev -38.5%

A: A medium amber color with a very robust creamy white head. It came out about 1 1/2 thumbs thick and settled down to about half. It has a very creamy and milky head. Carbonation consists of very fine bubbles. Lacing is incredible.

S: It smells of citrus (orange or grapefruit) with floral notes. It's not overly complex but pleasing.

T: I don't taste any oak. I was expecting more but it just tastes like an IPA. I'm disappointed because I really expected something new from this beer. It's not awful because it's a decent IPA it's just that I wanted some wood flavor...or something...anything. I appreciated that they could hide the 10% ABV in this beer.

M: It's about average without anything unique. It's a bit astringent in the aftertaste. It has a wonderful head but the mouthfeel doesn't have any punch or carbonating "zing".

O: I didn't like this beer. I didn't feel like this warranted its own beer because it didn't taste unique enough to be its own beer. That might sound strange but I wanted this beer to give me something new and it just tasted like a regular old DFH IPA. Maybe the astringency or color came from the wood or something, but I really didn't pick up any flavor at all from it. I didn't pick up any oak, vanilla, or anything. It's a pity that I have to rate such a beautiful beer so low.

04-08-2011 01:43:34 | More by teromous
baos

Indiana

2.63/5  rDev -37.8%

12 oz bottle into pint glass.

A: Pours a cloudy amber color with about a one finger head. head goes down pretty quick with a thin blanket left that leaves decent bits of lace.

S: Rum, caramel, molasses.

T: Big sweet alcohol taste. Didn't get the hop flavors that I was expecting. I did get a oaky chardonnay flavor. The honey sweetness is almost overpowering, diacetyl notes for sure. This beer is very well crafted, but too sweet for my palate.

D: If it wasn't so sweet it would be good. This beer reminds me of a Camelot mead that I once had. Too sweet, and it doesn't mellow in your glass like some beers that initially shock you. If you like sweet, drink this beer.

10-25-2007 23:20:00 | More by baos
thecarster1

2.7/5  rDev -36.2%

a- bottle poured into a chalice, one finger of head, hazy brown chesnut coloring, bubbling lace.

s- lots of oak here, sweet, earthy hops, clean smelling.

t- very oak-y, getting alot of peat from that, lots of alcohol here - strong, yeah, really boozy.

m- medium/thick in the mouth.

d- not the greatest, this is the 2010 vintage and i think it's still a little too hot for me, gonna put the other one i have in the cellar for a year or so and give this another shot to mellow out a bit.

12-19-2010 17:22:56 | More by thecarster1
mjl21

2.7/5  rDev -36.2%

12 ounce bottle puchased at Central Market in Fort Worth, TX. Poured into a snifter. Bottled on 3/30/09 and comes in at 10%.

A-When poured has a very clear amber color with some nice ruby hue. It has a 3/4 finger off white head that goes to a decent froth ring. It is a really nice looking beer.

S-This may be one of the sweetest beers to ever hit my nose. After smelling this I knew to prepare for the sweet malt assault. The best way to describe this one is that it smells somewhat between the 90 minute and the 120 minute. Citrus pineapple and oak are very detectable.

T-Pineapple and honey hit very fast followed by an extreme level of cloying sweetness brought on by tons of caramel malt. In the back of the mouth peppery notes are evident and alcohol is also being detected. Some grapefruit bitterness can be detected, but not enough to mix with all of the malt. In between sips the tannins from the oak barrels leave my mouth feeling like I just had a really oaky Chardonnay.

M-Thick, chewy, very sweet, and sticky.

D-One is more than enough due to how sweetness is in this one.

This one did not work for me and is one of the sweetest beers I have ever had. Should have picked up an Indian Brown instead.

04-22-2009 17:59:31 | More by mjl21

Waveoff

05-26-2013 04:44:05 | More by Waveoff
williamherbert

2.78/5  rDev -34.3%

Impossibly hazy with a decent tiny little bit of head (that disappears rather quickly). Color is a dark apple-cider orange. Glorious. As if it's encased in amber (the Jurassic kind, not the Irish kind). Has a few little random specks of lace. Perfect.

Massive colossal hop aroma, almost like burnt wood. Smells not just of woodsy hops, but of actual wood. I feel like I just came out of building a deck. It's oak (or so says the bottle). Unlike anything I have ever smelled.

This is a thoroughly rich and unbelievably overpowering brew. Major sawdust wood flavor. The hops are transformed into a malty, milky flavorburst. Has a saccharine-sweet undertone, and that's not a compliment. Absolutely overwhelming. Major alcohol taste. They just threw everything in this beer, everything including the kitchen sink; it's just too much. The flavor is complex but not enjoyable.

Seriously milky and creamy. Incredible post-swallow tongue presence. Very very very very thick. Wow. It practically oozes.

This is not an easy beer to drink. It's a heavy, brutal brew. If this were a beer drinking video game, this brew would be the final "Boss." Insane. It is way beyond what I consider enjoyable drinking. Glad I only bought one. To me, this is the exact example of what happens when good beer goes Imperial. It's just overwhelming for the sake of being overwhelming.

02-06-2007 02:22:03 | More by williamherbert
LPorter33

2.8/5  rDev -33.8%

Purchased 12 oz bottle from Martignetti's

This is quite different from the 90/60 minute. I don't know how they made it 10% as it's downright evil in how well it hides its alcohol content. There's a lot of sugar in this so if you don't like beers on the sweet side, it's going to disagree with your palate. The more I drink it, the more the taste doesn't agree with me. It's got a very herb-like aftertaste that doesn't mix well with the initial sweetness. I'm really have a hard time finding the hops in what's supposed to be a double IPA. Mouthfeel is a bit weak and watery at the end.This was one of those beers where the first sip was the best...better to save it for a 1 oz tasting.

03-17-2007 07:07:56 | More by LPorter33
popery

2.8/5  rDev -33.8%

Draft, City Beer Store. Besides 120 min, which arguably doesn't count, this is probably the sweetest DIPA that I've tried so far. It was a nice reminder to make an appointment with the dentist but a rather underwhelming beer. The beer looks fine, golden amber with a small white head. The aroma is honey, hops and sweet malt, a warning of things to come. There's a hint of oak, which I wish was about ten times stronger. The hops are sort of a tropical fruit lifesaver note. The flavor is way too sweet with no noticeable dryness from the wood or balancing bitter hop bite. The hops come through as a candied version of themselves, which sorta works in the 120 min but falls flat here. I can deal with one or the other, but the sweetness combined with lackluster hop flavor are what killed the beer for me. Squall remains my favorite DFH IPA by a wide margin.

03-05-2010 07:02:08 | More by popery
John_M

Oregon

2.85/5  rDev -32.6%

Another over the top beer from DFH. I was going to pan Mahaffey's Pub (in Baltimore) for describing this beer as a double IPA, but sure enough, that's how DFH characterizes it as well.

The overall flavor I got out of this was sweetness. There was a bit of refreshing hoppiness in the finish, but not much. In fact, I found this beer to be so sweet that, coupled with the high abv., I found it to be not very drinkable at all. Like the 120 minute IPA, the smell and taste of sweetness is so overwhelming that it's difficult to detect any hop presence.

According to the menu at Mahaffey's, this beer is oak aged. I guess that could account for some of the sweetness, but surely something else must have been added to make it that sweet (though the website says that it's a blend of the 90 minute and an oak-aged english strong ale). In any event, this just is not a style of beer I personally care for, and is not a beer I will be ordering again.

I simply do not understand DFH's love affair with oak.

03-06-2007 14:52:47 | More by John_M