Burton Baton - Dogfish Head Brewery

Burton BatonBurton Baton

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: Todd on 12-08-2004

This oak-aged gentle giant has been gaining popularity over the past few years and is now available year-round.

For Burton Baton, we brew two "threads," or batches, of beer: an English-style old ale and an imperial IPA.

After fementating the beers separately in our stainless tanks, they're transferred and blended together in one of our large oak tanks. Burton Baton sits on the wood for about a month.

When enjoying the Burton Baton, you'll find an awesome blend of the citrus notes from Northwestern hops melding with woody, vanilla notes from the oak. The wood also tends to mellow the 10% ABV of Burton, so tread cautiously!

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Burton Baton Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,794 | Hads: 6,203
2.99/5  rDev -28.1%

Pours a deep orange amber color, like pale maple syrup. Almost no head at all, with some sticky lacing evident.

I pick up a resiny sweet sugary pine aroma right away. The more I sniff I also get a sweetened over-ripe orange kind of smell, passion fruit also rounds out this interesting smelling brew. The hops have obviously faded and there is inherent alcohol in the end of the nose.

The taste is different. I get sugary sweet over ripe pineapple right away, then comes the oak. The wood bitters the sweet front with a phenolic twang. More over ripe citrus fruit, and then it gets boozy. Sweet, syrupy and lacking any sort of real bitterness. Cloying sweetness.

Mouthfeel fits the profile of a DIPA, somewhat syrupy and medium bodied. Carbonation was a little low, but the bottle is not new so I'm not really surprised.

Man, I had high expectations for this one. A very complex crazy brew, but what a let down. I'm a staunch defender of DFH, but dammit sometimes they just try too hard. (993 characters)

3.01/5  rDev -27.6%

Thanks to HopDawg from whom I received this beer. I am on a long quest to try every DFH beer I can.

Poured from a 12 ounce beer into a Unibroue oversized wineglass.

A. A beautiful beer. Poured an orange red brew with a durable one finger head. Bountiful carbonation arising from the glass.

S. Too much malt. In my humble opinion a DIPA should reek of hops. They are mildly apparent but the overwhelming smell is a toffee like malt.

T. Like it smells. The hops are in the background. Too sweet. Too malty for a DIPA.

M. Mild body and sweet cloying feel.

D. The abv and limited ability would drop this score. I have like many of DFH's beers,but like 120MIN this is too sweet. (679 characters)

3.01/5  rDev -27.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

First taste of this tonight. 12oz bottle served in a pilsner glass.

Appearance wasn't too unique, reddish-amber with a small foamy head that dwindled down to fine lace after a couple minutes.

Smell: very fruity, malty. Was very surprised by this. I was expecting a hop bomb given the "Imperial IPA" title. I could smell some woodiness, but if I didn't know it was oak, probably wouldn't have placed it. Lots of fruit and floral notes. Can't emphasize enough how sweet the beer smelled, almost like a Belgian something or other, not at all like an IPA.

Taste: could taste the woodiness at first few sips, then this characteristic seemed to dissipate as my tastebuds acclimated to the beer. Was surprisingly sweet and fruity. I initially liked it. A lot. Not too oaky. My buddy thought it was too fruity for an IIPA.

After a few sips, we decided that it was cloyingly and over-the-top sweet. However, it's late winter and quite cold out; we decided that this beer ice-cold on a hot and humid deck in mid-summer very well might kick ass. But today, we decided it was too sweet. Fruitiness: citrusy, but hard to tell if it's acid like grapefruit or sweet like an orange. Really needed more hops to counter this, or at least some tart citrus to cut the sweetness.

Mouthfeel: pretty smooth. Not over carbonated.

Drinkability: I had little difficulty finishing my share. A whole bottle might have made me crave some really salty potato chips or something, as it was getting pretty sweet. I definitely would not have finished the 12-oz bottle.

I initially liked the beer. I may have been influenced by the description on the label and really wanting to like it, as I like most DFH beers. But the more I drank, the more I was seeking hops and something to cut the malty, fruity sweetness. Won't buy it again. (1,808 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -27.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

12 oz bottle consumed on 1-24-13. Reviewed from notes

A: Translucent copper color with a settled foam on top. Bubbles speckle the glass.

N: Oak, soap, and grapefruit. A deeper inspection reveals grass, pineapple, and caramel sweetness. Pine and tree bark aromatics. Biscuit, straw, and honey. Good.

T: Bittersweet. Spruce is the front end dominant flavor with a biting brulee of burnt sugar in the middle. Yee gods, this is harsh, and not in a West Coast hop way. Pepper corn and dried pineapple combine into a divergent taste, so figure that out. Very tannic; lots and lots of oak. More bitterness, yet, somehow cloyingly sweet like hopped honey in a barrel.

M: Biting and sticky. Alcohol carries a hobo shotgun with Rutger Hauer.

O: Oak and hops can work, but when they don’t, they lead to this abrasive assault. I can’t believe the ratings for this one. Have a 2011 Doggie Claws instead. (903 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -27.2%

Pours kind of a dark honey color, with some ruby highlights, long-lasting tan head and plenty of lacing. Boozy smell, definitely getting plenty of the oak aroma, some citrus notes in there too, but there's just a bracing alcoholic fume rising out of the glass. Tastes very sweet, borderline-syrupy, spicy oak, slightly tannic, a bit of vanilla...there's a lot going on in here. Really smooth, the consistency of this beer has been my favorite part. I'm always glad to try something from Dogfish Head, but this one just isn't for me. Definitely worth checking out, though, as there's a lot of crazy things happening here. (620 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -26.7%

Looks nic. Beautiful clear amber with a short lived beige head. A bit of swirling brings it up again and leaves nice clinging lace. Smells of auslese and carmel. These smell assert themselves in the taste as well. So very sweet. Cloying. The taste gets better and the sips get larger after you let yourself get accustomed to the sweetnes. I think there may be hops in here somewhere, but I can't be sure ;)

Nice mouthfeel, creamy and full. Drinkability is not so good because of the sweetness and the warming alcohol. Not a bad beer, but not one I'll be buying again. (570 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -26%

Enjoyed on 04.16.02011 from a 12oz. brown bottle poured into at 14 oz. American pint glass.

A: A nice brown-amber color with a small tan head which leaves a good amount of lacing.

S: Alcoholic caramel and a bit woody.

T: Smoother than the 90 minute and not as sweet. Balance is good. Hops are notable and piny. There is a citrus tang and a bit of a nutty finish.

M: Full and finish is surprisingly dry.

D: quite drinkable - esp. for a 10%er. (446 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -25.2%

Not a bad beer. Probably not getting it again.

The smell is good.

Taste is not bitter at all which I do like in my ipas.

Thing is, the taste just does not wow me. (165 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -25%

Perhaps I was expecting too much from this bier. Perhaps my palate is ruined tonight for some reason or maybe this bier spent time in the hot, bright place.

For whatever reason, I am not very impressed with this.

Nice dark amber, a little flat. Average at best around aroma, flavors are nondescript.

This bottle came as a gift from a friend who aquired them on the cheap...I hope his was better.

I will re-review this in the future in all fairness. I can not see DFH releasing something of this poor a quality.

John (530 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -24.8%

12 oz bottle, bottled 3/1/10.

Pours a hazy banana-brown color with huge fluffy cream head. Great lacing.

Aroma was dominated by pine and oak along with lavendar, molasses and vanilla.

Flavor was very sweet vanilla, followed by a rich bitterness, and a long off flavor that leaves an rough bitterness on the tongue for minutes.

Nice light carbonation, pretty full bodied. A bit buttery for an IPA, but it's pretty strong and the oak kind of helps, but definitely good overall feel.

Not very drinkable. Takes quite a bit, especially after warming, to finish this 12 oz. I love most wood-aged beers, but this just wasn't done as well as i had hoped. (652 characters)

3.14/5  rDev -24.5%

This beer pours a slightly cloudy golden orange color, with a thick, fluffy light yellow head. The head fades very slowly, leaving a thick cutrain of lace.

This beer has a very busy aroma. I can detect some vanilla. It has a aggressive sweet caramel like aroma reminicent of a Barley Wine. It has a piney hop aroma as well. The alcohol in noticable in the aroma.

This beer tastes like it smells. Aggressive. It has a syrupy flavor also. Definately a strong grapefruit flavor too.

This beer leaves a very sweet aftertaste. It warms the throat on the way down. The alcohol is not hidden well at all. Carbonation is low.

This beer wouldnt make a good session beer. It is too aggressive, and the 10% ABV is a bit much.

Overall: I dont think this beer fits the style. To me, it is more like a barley wine. That isnt necessarly a bad thing, but I was expecting a DIPA. This beer is definately a sipper. It is decent, but I doubt I will pay $6 a 12 oz bottle again. (963 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -24.3%

Poured from a bottle into a Chalice.

Pours a deep amber color and is non transparent. Little head and moderate amount of lacing. Smell is decent. I'm getting some fruit and alcohol, but surprisingly, not much in the hop department. The hops do finally make an appearance when tasted, but not a whole lot, especially for a beer that is classified as a DIPA. I'm getting a lot of fruit and vanilla and an alcohol warming. To me, this tastes like a ASA. But alas, I still like the flavor and don't want to ding it too hard for going outside it's advertised style. Mouthfeel is OK, though not spectacular along with drinkability.

To me, this tastes like a beer that got stuck in a zone somewhere between IPA and Belgian (if you can imagine that). It's a nice ale, but should really be categorized for what it is. (814 characters)

3.17/5  rDev -23.8%

Beer pours a nice copper color into a glass with good head. Leaves a nice subtle lacing on the glass as you drink it. I want to like this beer but it's got an alcohol burn kind of like drinking whiskey to me. It also leaves a very lingering bitterness in the mouth, which for me doesn't work. Perhaps if I paired it with food it might finish better but this is not something I want to drink alone or have multiples of. (418 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -23.6%

I always seem to have a hard time reviewing DFH because of their take on brew are a bit extreme. Which is a good thing. Burton Baton left me wondering if this is true DIPA. Poured a clear amber hue with a very small off white almost cream head. The head was virtually gone and left no lace on glass. The sweet aroma of malt was overpowered by the ester scent of alcohol. The flavor was surprisingly sweet and not very hoopy at all. I had trouble tasting the caskwood (oak). The funny thing is that I could drink this brew all night long, very smooth, medium to full body, syrupy and softly carbonated the way I enjoy them. I wish it was more bold in flavor. (657 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -23.1%

a: 1/4in head that had great retention. Hazy copper head.

s: Great spice and floral notes. Strongest aroma comes immediately after the pour, so make sure to get your nose in there. Mild burn deep within the nose upon inhale.

t: You want to talk about the hops by the smokey, spicy, fruitiness balances out the bitterness. Very powerful flavor as it enters the mouth, fades fast though. Unique flavors which my wife enjoyed however it was not my favorite flavor combination.

m: Heavy flavor in tongue and roof of mouth. Flavors really hit hard.

o: As mentioned, this was not my favorite beer as the flavors are too unique for me however I still rated this high as they did balance each other out extremely well. So, not poorly made, just not made for me. Someone that likes intense flavor with spice and light fruits - would love this beer. (843 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -22.8%

A: Pours a deep reddish/copper color. A two finger beige head forms with good retention. Some light lace is left behind.
S: Tons of piny hops up front. Grapefruit, and a light residual malty sweetness lingers. Smells of soap and oil. Where is the oak?
T: Again, tons of piny hops. Bitter grapefruit. Soap. Some alcohol as well. Very light sweetness lingers.
M/D: A medium body that is sticky, syrupy, and slick. Hot alcohol is present, and detracts. A slow sipper.

Not bad, but I don't really get any oak flavor at all. Seems pretty much like a standard DIPA. More style than substance as far as I am concerned. (612 characters)

12oz bottle with label code 2008F. Poured into my Duvel tulip

A: Crimson with a light tan head that stays for a while, leaving a pleasant looking lacing on the glass. The beer is mostly clear with some floaters in there

S: Pine, alcohol, sweeter malts with hints of figs and oak.

T: Piney hops right up front followed by a touch of alcohol, and a reserved malt backbone. The finish is dry and bitter. I'm not tasting much oak here - it appears for a bit in the middle but disappears to the finishing bitterness.

M: Very pleasant with the right carbonation. The drying finish makes this a bit of a sipper.

This beer is quite finely crafted - the hops are present and the blending has helped retain the IIPA characteristics while tuning down the barleywine nature that an aged IIPA becomes.
4.5/4/4/4/4

**Edit 12 Feb 2012**
Burton Baton 2008F, split with my dad

Faintly hoppy, loaded with crystal malt, mild aspirin, a surprising amount of oak. Boozy. Sweet and quite tannic, plenty of crystal malt flavor but not enough sweetness to balance out the astringent oakiness. Full in body but the oak is just way too raw and in your face. Tannic and caramel sweetness on the finish. Despite some severe flaws, this is decent, especially as an OA BW. 3.5/3/3/3 (1,261 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -22.8%

Man, was I excited to try this beer. I love 90 minute and most of what DFH offers. An oak-aged DIPA? Yes, please.

Picked up in Hingham, MA for $16 a 4 pack.

Appearance: Lovely color. Reddish amber, hazy. Small bubbly head disappears quickly leaving just a ring of foam around the top.

Smell: Upon opening the bottle, it was a whiff of pure alcohol. This was replaced by sweet malts. Now I was nervous - the last DIPA I had from DFH was the 120 minute, which was way too sweet/boozey/malty for my taste. After a while some floral hops came through as well as some pineapple/citrus.

Taste: At times, delicious. Smooth, vanilla, hops. At other times, overly sweet with the alcohol too noticeable in the taste.

Mouthfeel: Nice. Feels soft, with somewhat low carbonation and medium thickness.

Drinkability: A sipper. If the alcohol was less noticeable in the taste, I'd give it a higher rating. I liked the taste, but not enough to make me want more. I'm going to age a bottle and see if that helps. (1,001 characters)

3.22/5  rDev -22.6%

12 oz., bottled on __/16/07 (the first number of the ink-jet printing was rubbed out), brewed with Northwest hops. By the end of the bottle I found myself reviewing this beer based on overall impression rather than to style - had I reviewed to style it certainly would have garnered lower points. Anyway, the beer pours into the balloon glass a clear, dark copper, with low carbonation and an inch of khaki head that leaves a few rings of lace. Smells of malted grain first, followed by grapefruity hops, which are in turn followed by vanilla and sweet, oaky bourbon notes. Starts quite nice, but becomes sweet and lightly boozy, and my aroma score is an average of those sentiments. On the palate, it is malty sweet - quite cloying actually. It's very fruity, backed by vanilla and oak, with additions of dark fruits and some buttery diacetyl. The hops are beaten down by the massive malts, and relegated to mere supporting roles, giving hints of citrus and pine, while imparting only a mild bitterness. The body is full and too heavy, with low carbonation, drying tannins, and a long, sweet/dry finish. It has a good aroma and some decent flavors, but is way off-balance. The beer is way too sweet, which lowers the drinkability immensely, and the hops are definitely there, but have a hard time making themselves known, which is odd for a double (albeit offbeat) IPA. I was very excited to finally find this, but was ultimately let down. I'll let the other bottle mellow for a couple years and see if it improves. (1,516 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -22.4%

Presented in a 12oz bottle bearing no freshness date but stating it can withstand cellaring and ages well. Poured into my Stone IPA glass.
Nice clear bronze color with a modest white head and random carbonation. Nose was quite fruity with a touch of diacetyl. No real citrus or herbal aromas associated with a hearty hops presence.
Tasted very fruity and bearing a solid caramel malt backbone. Hints of oak and butter. But where, oh where, are the hops? Sweet, yes. Citrusy, no. Herbal, nope. Sorry folks, the hops profile is sorely lacking here. A bit hot in the finish thanks to the 10% ABV. The feel was medium-bodied and a bit slick.
Overall, rather disappointing. Burton Baton might even be mis-cast as a DIPA, IMO. This brew simply lacks the one essential necessary to fall into that style: hops. I'll stick with DFH's 90 Min IPA, thanks. There are many other DIPA's I'd rather spend my time and money on over this offering. (933 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -22.4%

This beer didn't really blow me away. I was surprised, as Dogfish Head usually pushes the limits of brewing and makes some of my favorite beers. This however was a bit odd. And don't get me wrong, I generally like weird beers. Pours a fairly clear golden amber color with a bit of white head resting on top. Scent is very hoppy at first, all citrussy, but there's this strange scent that it's mixed with... oddly reminds me of catfood or tuna or something. Interesting, different, but not particularly appetizing. Taste was much the same. A bit sweet and not quite bitter enough for a double IPA. The aged flavor doesn't really work here with the mix. Average mouthfeel but something just isn't quite working with this beer. Seems like all the flavors clash rather than work with each other. I kind of got bored of drinking this one after a while. Maybe a little tweaking and this beer could be improved. (904 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -22.4%

Barrel aged and you can tell by the aroma and taste. Bit too much carbonation and definitely boozy, the 10% comes thru to me. Aroma is sweet, malty and like a kicked up 90 min DFH. More like a barley wine, and not really what i expected. (240 characters)

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass

A - Murky amber with a nice slightly off-white head.

S - Some spicy/citrus hops and much biscuit/caramel malt

T - Sweet. Very, very sweet. A little hops in the aftertaste, but I never thought you could cover up 80 IBU so effectively! Maybe my sweet tastebuds are more sensitive, but I find this cloying.

M - Think & syrupy, reminds me of an American barleywine. Nice low carbonation.

D - Clearly not a session beer, again I found this cloyingly sweet.

Overall, I have to say I was disappointed with this beer, I think if it were less sweet, it might be quite interesting. I am laying one bottle down, maybe it will mellow. (667 characters)

3.24/5  rDev -22.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

750ml bottle from the original 2004 release with Michael Jackson's Rare Beer Tour. Served in a tasting tulip at just over fridge temperature and paired with Chaumes Veritable from France.

Appearance- Pours an attractive fiery deep amber, loud and hissing... the head fights to climb a few inches, but doesn't even remain paper thin after a minute. A few dots of lacing, without any retention.

Smell- Mature, full hop nose that carries a backbone of vanilla and wood from the oak aging.

Taste- This beer incorporates a boozy, almost whiskey cask flavor that intensifies the citrus finish. A woodsy tartness is evident throughout the time spent inside the mouth, coating the teeth and drying the palate.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- With the most subtle carbonation, the texture expands marginally to add some body to the deep, oaky flavors here. This is not an easy beer to savor, sip, or swig... but it's an adventure nonetheless. I would have loved to have tried this pre-storage just to compare. (1,005 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -21.9%

A- Pours a brilliant burnt red ale color, nice thick effervescent off white head.

S- Sweet, ripe fruit smells and DFH malt up front, middle is solid oak laying the wood, ends with some toned down citrus hoppiness. Very complex, yet subtle, smell.

T- Almost the same balance as a 90 minute at first, but it's really interesting to see how dried out this gets from the oak aging. Maybe even a bit of sourness hiding in here. Even a few hints of pasty 120 Minute in here. A lot of complex, interesting flavors, but overall, the dry bitterness was a bit much for me.

M- One of the better characteristics of this beer, seems to turn immediately to foam in the mouth.

D- I found this a bit hard to take at first, considering the dry bitter punch, but it did grow on me. I don't think I could put too many back.

I really want to try this puppy after a year or three of aging in the cellar. (887 characters)

Burton Baton from Dogfish Head Brewery