Burton Baton - Dogfish Head Brewery

Burton BatonBurton Baton

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: Todd on 12-08-2004

This oak-aged gentle giant has been gaining popularity over the past few years and is now available year-round.

For Burton Baton, we brew two "threads," or batches, of beer: an English-style old ale and an imperial IPA.

After fementating the beers separately in our stainless tanks, they're transferred and blended together in one of our large oak tanks. Burton Baton sits on the wood for about a month.

When enjoying the Burton Baton, you'll find an awesome blend of the citrus notes from Northwestern hops melding with woody, vanilla notes from the oak. The wood also tends to mellow the 10% ABV of Burton, so tread cautiously!

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Burton Baton Alström Bros
2.75/5  rDev -35.1%

2.84/5  rDev -33%

Impossibly hazy with a decent tiny little bit of head (that disappears rather quickly). Color is a dark apple-cider orange. Glorious. As if it's encased in amber (the Jurassic kind, not the Irish kind). Has a few little random specks of lace. Perfect.

Massive colossal hop aroma, almost like burnt wood. Smells not just of woodsy hops, but of actual wood. I feel like I just came out of building a deck. It's oak (or so says the bottle). Unlike anything I have ever smelled.

This is a thoroughly rich and unbelievably overpowering brew. Major sawdust wood flavor. The hops are transformed into a malty, milky flavorburst. Has a saccharine-sweet undertone, and that's not a compliment. Absolutely overwhelming. Major alcohol taste. They just threw everything in this beer, everything including the kitchen sink; it's just too much. The flavor is complex but not enjoyable.

Seriously milky and creamy. Incredible post-swallow tongue presence. Very very very very thick. Wow. It practically oozes.

This is not an easy beer to drink. It's a heavy, brutal brew. If this were a beer drinking video game, this brew would be the final "Boss." Insane. It is way beyond what I consider enjoyable drinking. Glad I only bought one. To me, this is the exact example of what happens when good beer goes Imperial. It's just overwhelming for the sake of being overwhelming.

2.85/5  rDev -32.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Draft, City Beer Store. Besides 120 min, which arguably doesn't count, this is probably the sweetest DIPA that I've tried so far. It was a nice reminder to make an appointment with the dentist but a rather underwhelming beer. The beer looks fine, golden amber with a small white head. The aroma is honey, hops and sweet malt, a warning of things to come. There's a hint of oak, which I wish was about ten times stronger. The hops are sort of a tropical fruit lifesaver note. The flavor is way too sweet with no noticeable dryness from the wood or balancing bitter hop bite. The hops come through as a candied version of themselves, which sorta works in the 120 min but falls flat here. I can deal with one or the other, but the sweetness combined with lackluster hop flavor are what killed the beer for me. Squall remains my favorite DFH IPA by a wide margin.

2.88/5  rDev -32.1%

Purchased 12 oz bottle from Martignetti's

This is quite different from the 90/60 minute. I don't know how they made it 10% as it's downright evil in how well it hides its alcohol content. There's a lot of sugar in this so if you don't like beers on the sweet side, it's going to disagree with your palate. The more I drink it, the more the taste doesn't agree with me. It's got a very herb-like aftertaste that doesn't mix well with the initial sweetness. I'm really have a hard time finding the hops in what's supposed to be a double IPA. Mouthfeel is a bit weak and watery at the end.This was one of those beers where the first sip was the best...better to save it for a 1 oz tasting.

2.9/5  rDev -31.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Another over the top beer from DFH. I was going to pan Mahaffey's Pub (in Baltimore) for describing this beer as a double IPA, but sure enough, that's how DFH characterizes it as well.

The overall flavor I got out of this was sweetness. There was a bit of refreshing hoppiness in the finish, but not much. In fact, I found this beer to be so sweet that, coupled with the high abv., I found it to be not very drinkable at all. Like the 120 minute IPA, the smell and taste of sweetness is so overwhelming that it's difficult to detect any hop presence.

According to the menu at Mahaffey's, this beer is oak aged. I guess that could account for some of the sweetness, but surely something else must have been added to make it that sweet (though the website says that it's a blend of the 90 minute and an oak-aged english strong ale). In any event, this just is not a style of beer I personally care for, and is not a beer I will be ordering again.

I simply do not understand DFH's love affair with oak.

2.92/5  rDev -31.1%

2.95/5  rDev -30.4%

Amber copper pour with decent head and lacing. Strong dark fruit and candy nose with lots of malt. Very chewy and resiny. Extremely syrupy and a bit too sweet for my taste. The dark fruit flavor overpowers the hop bitterness which was subdued to say the least. The sweetness kills the drinkability for me. Pretty disappointing for Dogfish Head. I'll give it another try considering the great reviews I've seen for this. Maybe an old bottle.

2.96/5  rDev -30.2%

served into a large flared tulip glass from a 12oz long neck brown bottle with a crimped on cap bottled on date 1/8/07.

Deep,amber/reddish color with a golden hue.Off white head dissapated quickly into a constiant layer of foam. Spotty lacing with lots of tiny strings of tighly knitted bubbles racing from the center of the glass.

Fruity aromas with a charred wood aroma with oaky notes.Earthy,floral,no real hop aromas a bit grassy. Moderate aromas with good complexity.

Very sweet,sugary lots of booziness. A woody,oaky taste is very present. Earthy,grassy finishes with a dry,crisp,clean bitteness that lingers on the palate. Good balance,very sugary and boozy.

Very dry and creamy leaves a sugary coating all over the palate. A sipper for sure,had a hard time finishing a bottle a bit too sugary for me overall, would be an interesting beer to age.

2.97/5  rDev -30%

Bottle. Pours a dark amber, not much to the off-white head. Aroma is sweet, slight citrus, taste is sweet and sticky, overall, a little too sweet for me. Complex, but the sweetness is overwelming. I wonder if this would be better with a little age on it.

2.97/5  rDev -30%

Poured into Brandy Snifter

I just want to first say...I love DFH Beers, been to the brewpub and they make really good beers and go out on limbs to push the envelope. Again...I really like Dogfish Head Beers.

With that said...

Why would you age an IPA? The whole point is to have the hops. What we have here is a watery malted-cask beverage with a nice ABV.

Appearance: It poured dark amber, approaching on brown, and left nice amebic lacing.

Smell/ Taste/ Mouthfeel : Again...Where are the hops???? Oh yeah, that's right, it was aged...Hops don't age well, which is why you need alot of them. Traces of malt smell were coming through, somewhat. As this beer warmed up the malts became smoother and silkier.
If I did a blind tasting...I would have never thought that this was an IPA. There is a very thin taste that has nothing jumping out.

Drinkability: You could put a couple back. It tastes better when it reaches room temperature, per the malt feel.

I would have this beer again, because it is smooth...but not because it is an IPA.

2.99/5  rDev -29.5%

Pours a deep orange amber color, like pale maple syrup. Almost no head at all, with some sticky lacing evident.

I pick up a resiny sweet sugary pine aroma right away. The more I sniff I also get a sweetened over-ripe orange kind of smell, passion fruit also rounds out this interesting smelling brew. The hops have obviously faded and there is inherent alcohol in the end of the nose.

The taste is different. I get sugary sweet over ripe pineapple right away, then comes the oak. The wood bitters the sweet front with a phenolic twang. More over ripe citrus fruit, and then it gets boozy. Sweet, syrupy and lacking any sort of real bitterness. Cloying sweetness.

Mouthfeel fits the profile of a DIPA, somewhat syrupy and medium bodied. Carbonation was a little low, but the bottle is not new so I'm not really surprised.

Man, I had high expectations for this one. A very complex crazy brew, but what a let down. I'm a staunch defender of DFH, but dammit sometimes they just try too hard.

Burton Baton from Dogfish Head Brewery