Burton Baton - Dogfish Head Brewery

Burton BatonBurton Baton

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: Todd on 12-08-2004

This oak-aged gentle giant has been gaining popularity over the past few years and is now available year-round.

For Burton Baton, we brew two "threads," or batches, of beer: an English-style old ale and an imperial IPA.

After fementating the beers separately in our stainless tanks, they're transferred and blended together in one of our large oak tanks. Burton Baton sits on the wood for about a month.

When enjoying the Burton Baton, you'll find an awesome blend of the citrus notes from Northwestern hops melding with woody, vanilla notes from the oak. The wood also tends to mellow the 10% ABV of Burton, so tread cautiously!

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Burton Baton Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,785 | Hads: 6,163
3.25/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

I should revisit this one as it's been a few years since I had it, but as with most beers, I feel like this one would be better off had it not spent any time in a barrel. (170 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -21.6%

Pours a beautiful copper color with a creamy light brown tinged head.

Lots of toffee, caramel, and oak in the nose. Not really a whole lot of hop aromas.

Holy crap this is a sweet beer. Caramel and whiskey dominate the palate. Some oak and rose like floral hop flavors present as well.

Smooth creamy mouthfeel with nice carbonation lightly tickles the tongue. It was hard to put 12 oz. of this stuff down because of the sweetness. Might be interesting to age a bottle and enjoy in the Winter, but I found it hard to drink. (534 characters)

look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

04/29/14 From Bottle at home. Very much like the Great Divide Rumble I had last night. It's a large 10% ABV but that's where the advances end. There is a stronger sense of barrel aging but less body. There's lots of vanilla but it's not sweet in any way. I like it but...if I'm going to use my ABV consumption allowance on the 10%, there are others I'd go to first. (365 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -21.6%

Bottle. Oak aged IPA. Pours a copper color with a big 2 finger white fluffy head. Some oak notes in the nose, thought that it would have more. More sweet smelling than hoppy but you do get some hops in the nose. The taste is pretty sweet with a pretty decent lingering bitter taste. The oak really wasn't that prevalent to me. Minimal alcohol taste. Medium mouthfeel. (367 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -21.2%

For me, this was an example of too much of a good thing, pumped up with so much that it just couldn't carry the burden. Heavy mouthfeel, bordering on syrupy. Powerfully sweet malt wrestled with a blunt hops attack. A bit of burn from the ETOH. Not a badly made beer, by any means, but the volume was turned up too high. (319 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -21.2%

Poured a thick deep ruby-amber color. Tiny bubbles swirl and dance, wandering their way through the syrupy body to form a creamy egg shell foamy head, leaving nice lace as it diminishes slowly.

Nose is a hop lover's delight. Fresh perky pine and juicy peach and grapefruit. A little sweet bubblegum mingles with soft wood, spiced with alcohol.

Taste is somewhat surprising, with very little of the sweetness on the nose. Instead, a warm woody marriage of malt grains and hop bitterness set in from the start. Finishes with bitter flavors fading instead of intensifying, kind of an inverse effect for an IIPA. Very course in flavor, not smooth, somewhat hindering a sense of balance. Resin and alcohol are nearly phenolic, with an almost chemical undertone. Taste is a little too sharp, with the oak serving to brighten instead of mellow some of the other flavors. Alcohol taste is a deterrent, and what happened to the juicy hops?

Feel is very full, with plenty of tingly carbonation on the tongue. Not overly sticky at all, cleaning off well with the swallow, leaving some concentrated resin. Again, plenty of alcohol

Not a huge fan, surprisingly. I do find it intriguing and worth the try, but I can't get the overall flavor to be one that seems pleasant. Alcohol is unbalanced and the flavors seem to blend coarsely into a difficult version of an IIPA. Tempted to seek out another bottle to determine if this one is somehow off from the norm. (1,449 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -21.2%

Appearance: A full creamy tan sits atop a maroon clear body, little carbonation action visible.

Smell: Wood and carmel sweetness, a touch of honey.

Taste: Hops are asserive, yet slightly subdued, most likely because of the barrel aging. Woody and sweet, this beer comes off somewhat murky and disorganized, I think I like the 90 better. Alcohol lingers with more earthy sweetness, but this beer isn't what I was hoping for.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and buttery, adds to the murkiness of the beer.

Drinkability: I like many other Dogfish Head beers better than this, that is not saying it is a bad beer, just that it is not one of my favorites. (649 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -21.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

It self identifies as a blend of an imperial IPA and an old ale. I'm reviewing it as such (not as merely an imperial IPA as is currently the listed style for this beer). Picked this up in a SoCal beer store earlier tonight as it's a known classic. Granted, I'm not usually big on Dogfish Head beers, but of their beers that I do like, 120 Minute stands out - so I have high hopes seeing as this is also a high ABV imperial IPA. 12 fl oz brown glass bottle with iconic label and standard red branded pressure cap served into a conical Samuel Smith's pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. 10% ABV confirmed. Bottled 03/04/13.

Served cold, straight from the fridge - I erred on the side of imperial IPA serving temperature rather than old ale serving temperature, but if it seems to warrant some warming, I'll let it. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours an impressive six finger head of light khaki-beige colour head, nice thickness, decent cream, okay frothiness, and damn good (~8+ minute) retention for the high ABV. Not real soft looking, but it's fluffy. Quite impressed with the retention. Body colour is a vibrant clear translucent copper. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Looking spot-on for an imperial IPA, and the head retention is a highlight. No overt flaws are noticeable. Lacing is uneven, inconsistent, thin, and weak. If you told me this was half Old Ale, I doubt I'd believe you.

Sm: Sugary. Brown sugar. Wood - less a refined oak wood and more just your run-of-the-mill barrel. Perhaps more of a cedar aroma? Some spicy kick too. Light floral hop character and some buried citrus. Red/amber malts. Some red fruit - perhaps stone fruit or cherry; it's quite concealed. The flower notes come through more and more as I sniff this one out; it's hard to distinguish the floral hops from the actual flowery notes I'm getting. Very intriguing, but rather restrained for the purported complexity. No yeast character or alcohol is detectable, interestingly. It certainly doesn't fit neatly into either of the constituent styles, but it's got my attention. I'd call it a good aroma all around; I just wish it were deeper and more evocative. Below average in strength.

T: Interesting. Tannin-heavy woody notes up front. Malty woody sweetness. Some unrefined sugars - mixing with those tannins. Hop character is floral, and surprisingly restrained coming from the imperial IPA side of things. Malts definitely win the war against hops here. Some deep biscuit/toffee notes from the old ale side come off murky against the pale malt sweetness of the IPA side. Amber malts seem to edge out others for slight dominance. I do notice some alcohol, but it's decently hidden for 10%. Oak? Vanilla? No such luck on either account. The wood is of a more generic barrel or cedar character. I expected more complexity than it provides. Far more subtlety too. No yeast character comes through. Not at all acidic or harsh. Low on the esters. Balance is decent; it's not a mess but it never comes off cohesive or seamless. A slight spicy character does emerge as it warms. Not finding the stonefruit/cherry I got on the aroma. Not citrusy, nectary, oily, or piney. In fact, it's pretty disappointing in terms of hop character. Vague brown sugar. Maybe some blood orange when I look for it?

Mf: Smooth and wet. Thick and full-bodied; you won't be quaffing this one. Pretty good presence on the palate. Slight overcarbonation, but it isn't biting, harsh, or sharp. Not as soft as it could be. Sticky. Creaminess is about right for what they're after. Suits the flavour profile in a general sense. Clean and approachable, but not ideal.

Dr: One of the more interesting Dogfish Head beers I've had, to be sure. But I hoped for better. It does hide its ABV pretty well, but I wouldn't say the drinkability here is high. I wouldn't want more than one in a given night. It has none of the characteristics I want from either of the constituent styles, and it doesn't balance them particularly well, but it's still strangely likable. I'd have it again, preferably on-draught. The execution could be so much better, though. I like the concept of the beer, but I think it can be done better. I do applaud the experimentation, and I'm not disappointed by it.

Low B- (4,370 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -20.7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle with a laser printed brewed on date on the neck. Was a rich copper color with a finger of head that slowly dissipated to a constant foam with some lacing. The aroma was hoppy but not as much as you'd expect in an ADIPA. It was really dominated by a sweetness that was quite surprising in it's intensity. I expected some sense oak aged but wow. The taste was unusual to say the least. Again not what I'd expect for an ADIPA. The sweetness was overpowering at first and then just too much to deal with as I made my way thru it. Gotta say I don't like this one very much. Out of balance and out of style. Not a drain pour but damn close. Now I gotta figure out what to do with the other 3 I have. (2.5, NA, ML, N) (736 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -20.7%

This is one interesting barleywine. Oh... what's that you say? It's not a barleywine, but an "American Double IPA?" Whatever.
Very attractive shiny copper color with persistent quarter-inch head throughout almost the entire beer. Very candyish smell, with quite a bit of tropical fruit, like pineapple and papaya. Initially sickly sweet slick phenolic flavor, reminiscent of cotton candy, juicy fruit gum, and cream soda. I also get a slightly chalky finish, like milk of magnesia or peptol bismol. The hops just don't come through to balance much here, although they begin to assert themselves a little after a while. Mouthfeel is light and fluffy for such a seemingly viscous beer. Drinkability can be summed up as "Ooof, my stomach hurts." Unique but not great. (765 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -20%

Real excited when I got this beer. Been trying to seek it out and found it at D&Q Mini Mart in Houston.

Appearance-Copper, Hazy poor. Little light. White head, leaves alot of lacing.

Smell-Apricot, Fig, Raison. Lots of alcohol. More alcohol then expected.

Taste-Sweet beer. sweeter then expected and alot of alcohol. The fruit and hops aren't coming in as much as expected.

Mouthfeel-Very sticky. Medium bodied. Heat from the alcohol.

Overall-Definition of average to me. Good, not great, not terrible. I think if I were to age this beer the alcohol would reduce and the fruits would come out. Only problem with that is I like my IPAs hoppy and fresh, and like the hops to be the main attraction. (703 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -20%

Split a bottle of this on this night (or, last night) with beer buddy Phil.

Pours a dark red/brown, decent head. Below average lacing.

Malty nose, some bitterness. No real hop presence.

Sweet, malty palate. Where are the hops? Imperial IPA my ass. Bottled in late July.. something seems wrong.

Solid mouthfeel. All the mouthfeel if a DIPA without the hops..

Perhaps the beer was store or transported improperly, but not at all impressed. Won't be seeking this out again unless I know it's extremely fresh. (510 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Purchased for $4.29 for the 12oz bottle.

It pours a bright and clear golden colour with an inch of foam. Not much foam but it leaves some good lacing especialy for as strong a brew as this is.

The smell is malty yet hoppy at the same time. That spells out to good balance. A bit, ok, more than a bit of alcohol also shines through.

The taste has its bitter moments...mostly pine and citrus. It has its malty moments....sweetness from caramel, some grain, more grain, a sweet honey like flavour, lots of alcohol. Plenty of woody notes that kick it up a notch and in a favourable way. Wow. I'm finding it hard to put a handle on this brew. So many good notes and yet I find it a very difficult brew to deal with and to sip on. Typical of Dogfish Head..beers brewed to the extreme and this one fits that dicription to a tee.

Medium bodied and medium carbonation though it feels syrupy at times.

Drinkability? 1 bottle at a time is more than all I can handle. Very tasty but there's just too much going on for me to get comfortable with.
I'd say, definitely make it the last brew you try on any given day. It will wrap its "hands" around you and choke the hell out of you. (1,174 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -19.5%

Bottled in January of this year.

Pours out a shimmering, viscous apricot with scant bubbles slowly rising to the top. Head starts off thin, which then settles to a thin ring leaving a few hairs of lace. The smell starts off with honey sweetness and pine resin which follows into vanilla aromas from the oak and the citrus aspect of the hops. Some alcohol is present but it isn't overbearing. Its like smelling a liquified custard of vanilla and orange zest. In the flavor, the 90 Minute certainly comes out more, in terms of the hops. The other beer this is mixed with brings on a lot of honey sweetness with dulled oak tones which are then mingled with the citrus hops. Finish is sweet with a closing bitterness from the hops and a bit of an off-putting medicinal-like alcohol quality. Too sweet. Mouthfeel is warming, slick, and heavy, with mild carbonation. Really, an interesting beer, but not wholly drinkable. The alcohol and sweetness needs to mellow out quite a bit. (975 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -19.5%

I have mixed feelings about this beer. Dogfish describes this beer as "a blend of oak-aged English strong ale and our 90 Minute I.P.A." I love their 90 Minute IPA, but was not as keen on this beer. It had a sweet quality similar to (while certainly not as extreme) Avery's The Beast Grand Cru.

Poured a 12oz. bottle into a tulip glass.

Appearance - Honey amber in color with a 1 finger foam head that quickly dissipates. Leaves a decent amount of lacing behind after each sip.

Smell - Honey, lemony citrus notes, vanilla notes, hops and the pineapple scent that I get from the 90 Minute IPA.

Taste - Sweet. Almost to the point of cloying. The sweetness seems to mask a lot of the other flavors. I can taste honey with sweet malt, and a very slight hop backend. Tastes like a 90 Minute IPA with a bottle of wildflower nectar honey poured in it. The hops bitterness shows up more in the mouthfeel than the actual flavor of the brew.

Mouthfeel - Smooth going down with a bitter finish. 10% ABV becomes apparent once the beer has warmed up a little. Medium bodied.

Drinkability - This brew was too sweet to finish fast and too heavy feeling on the stomach to have more than one in one sitting. Definitely a sipper.

I bought a 4 pack and so far I have finished three (not at one time) and set one away for aging. Hopefully aging this brew improves it a little bit. Perhaps my palate is not as developed as it should be to fully appreciate this brew. (1,466 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -19.5%

Poured into 10oz glass. Poured a lovely golden copper color with a very thin (less than 1/8 inch) light tan head that had no retention and minimal lacing.

A surprisingly sweet hop aroma, with mostly pine notes, is what greets the nose. The flavor is also surprisingly sweet for an ImpIPA. Not the malty sweet that we're used to for balancing out over-hopped beers, but a sugary sweetness that I've not found in the style before. After the sugar rush, the piney hops tingle the tastebuds.

Body and drinkability are what is expected from the style, except that the sweetness may put some people off. Overall, a very good beer that I'll have again and certainly worth trying. (674 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -19.2%

Poured from Bottle into Stemless balloon-wine glass.

A) Pours a murky reddish brown, with think creme head that leaves quickly but great amounts of lacing remain.

S) A little hops, and a little oak.

T) There isn't nearly as much hop flavors as one would expect (but then again, there isn't nearly as much hop aromas as one would expect) the oak is dominating, but not overpowering or unpleasant. The after-taste is a little bitter, but there is a bit of red-wine tinge to it that offsets the oak.

M) I've either had too many hoppy beers lately, or this one just doesn't fit the bill of what I would expect from a DIPA. With the lack of hoppy bite aside, the flavor spreads nicely and there is nominal alcohol bite for such a big brew.

O) It's a flavorful beer, and the oak is presented in moderation, so unlike other oak-aged IPAs/DIPAs I've had, I don't feel the need to remove splinters from my teeth 20 minutes after drinking. (934 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -19.2%

12oz bottle poured into an oversized wine glass. Bottled on 1/08/2007. Consumed on 2/19/2007.

A - Pours gorgeous translucent copper color with a medium caramel colored head. Mild carbonation. True to the style, with good consistancy throughout.

S - Very pronouned hops - smelling the beer actually tickled the inside of my nose. Almost a new car smell coming through. Sweetness comes through on subsequent whiffs.

T - Caramel is the big flavor here. Extremely sweet, not as hoppy as I usually think of IPAs being (I suppose that comes from the oak aging process). Alcohol is very present as well. I like this beer, though I am confused by its classification. This bottle was low in carbonation as well as bitterness. As I continue to spend time with the beer, I find it definetely to be too sweet for me. An interesting beer though, certainly complex, which I have tried to reflect in my numerical score.

MF - Very thin, does not go down easy.

D - Definetely a sipping beer. I imagine even someone who is a big fan of this beer won't want more than one in a sitting. (1,081 characters)

3.37/5  rDev -19%

Poured this 12 oz. brown bottle into a Samuel Adams glass. Bottled on 1/8/07. The body was clear and golden with an off-white 3/4 inch head. Head was creamy and lingered.

Smell was perfumy. Sweet. Fruits. Date-nut bread.

Taste was sweet like the aroma. Alcohol soaked fruit. Hops are obscure due to aging. Increased in booziness as it warmed, but mild considering the ABV of this one.

Mouthfeel was rich & full. Syrupy. Some mild alcohol sizzle. (451 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -18.8%

First sighting in California of this brew at Hi-Time Wine Cellars. Pours a rich mahogany color with some orange to it. Little head for a DIPA (and too dark), but thick with good retention and evidence of lacing. Aroma has brown sugar, sticky flora, oak, and alcohol. The flavor prominently features caramel malts in large quantities along with an assertive bitterness with some resinous and floral hopping. The finish maintains the floral hop flavor with an excess of caramelly cookielike malts. This beer is overloaded with its simple, cloying malt character and while it is balanced with bitterness there is not much complexity in the hop bill either. Despite all the malt and hops it is still a bit hot too. Medium to ful bodied with a tight, medium-full carbonation. I just can't get into this beer much, I just don't find this one too alluring. (849 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -18.8%

Didn't really like this one the first time I had it (several years ago), maybe its time for a redo.

A- Poured into a tulip with a dark red body. Creamy white cap forms to about two fingers and fills the glass off nicely. Head retention is quite good and a thick ring remains. Great, thick lace patches all over the place.

S- The big three things in the beer show right away. Big caramel from the Old Ale mixes with fresh oak hints and it is all finished off with some citrus and pine hops (the Double IPA portion). There seems to be a bit of nutty toasted hints as well.

T- Everything somehow changes here. There seems to be a clash between the big caramel, white grapes, pine resin, fresh oak and massive hops (mostly citrus and huge pine) from the Double IPA. None of this is helped by a fair alcohol presence and bitterness. It feels muddled to me.

MF- Thick and creamy body with a nice silky feel. Alcohol warms up the palate quite a bit. Bitterness also hits pretty heavily.

I love strong beers and I love both Old Ales and Double IPAs. Something just doesn't feel right to me here. Alcohol and some roast note seem to take a stand and throw off what allured to me in the aroma. Not terrible by any means but the balance of flavor is off to me and it just doesn't work out. It seems like everything is over the top somehow. Maybe with some age? (1,354 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -18.8%

Bottle date is 03/01/2010.
Pours a clear amber with a small head. Lace sticks around until the end. The smell is very sweet upfront. As it warms up a little a grapefruit smell becomes more noticeable. Tastes a lot like the smell, a little too sweet for my taste. It seems to lack the balance that their 90 min. IPA has. A little oak can be tasted and the alcohol is a little too noticeable. It's also very syrupy. Not bad but I'll take their 90 min. over this any day. I'll cellar a few and check back in on it. (511 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -18.3%

12oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: A light tawny color with a nice finger head, which lasts a bit throughout. Also, sticks to the glass a bit.

Smell: A nice hop flavor springs up initially in the smell, followed by a lite citrus smell. The strong malt character of this beer kicks in next with a slight carmel smell, then finishes with a nice hint of vanilla.

Taste: The hops are nicely balanced by the malt. A nice citrus flavored followed up by warm carmel and vanilla. The slight hint of alcohol and bourbon finish this fine flavor.

Mouthfeel: The malt and hoppiness are very balanced here. Not too drying of a flavor.

Drinkability: A nice beer which I am glad I tried. I will like to try it again.

A nice innovative beer from Dogfish Head. I almost feel like its one of their more balanced beers. (823 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -18.3%

Reddish orange, cloudy appearaqnce. Scent of hops, citrus (lime dominant), and some oak. Taste is sour, with citrus dominating, and oaky undertones, ligering taste of alcohol. Mouth feel is clean and tart.

Not very hoppy. A good effort by Dogsfish and a good beer, but the alcohol is a bit too apparent for my taste. A great sour citrus taste though. (351 characters)

Bottle at beerbistro.

Pours and orange-caramel with minimal head and sheets of lace.

The aroma is caramel and mild citrus with hints of raisin and must.

The taste is raisin-fruity with a slightly chocolaty, brown sugar, mildly vanilla sweet yet resiny finish. Bitterness is mild. Has good malt complexity and light bitterness, but it's light body let's it down a little and washes them away too quickly. Has a nice bit of spiciness about it from the oak. Not as hoppy as the 90 minute but still some nice citrus notes. I'm inclined to think the oak aging did more harm than good here. But then I have yet to meet an oak aged anything I like outside from Great Divide Yeti. Guess it's not my thing.

Overall a decent beer and one I'd be inclined to pick up again. But it doesn't really fit the bill for a DIPA. Almost more of a barleywine in some ways. But then I guess style guidelines are meaningless when it comes to Dogfish Head. (935 characters)

Burton Baton from Dogfish Head Brewery