Burton Baton - Dogfish Head Brewery

Burton BatonBurton Baton

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: Todd on 12-08-2004

This oak-aged gentle giant has been gaining popularity over the past few years and is now available year-round.

For Burton Baton, we brew two "threads," or batches, of beer: an English-style old ale and an imperial IPA.

After fementating the beers separately in our stainless tanks, they're transferred and blended together in one of our large oak tanks. Burton Baton sits on the wood for about a month.

When enjoying the Burton Baton, you'll find an awesome blend of the citrus notes from Northwestern hops melding with woody, vanilla notes from the oak. The wood also tends to mellow the 10% ABV of Burton, so tread cautiously!

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Burton Baton Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,795 | Hads: 6,206
4.47/5  rDev +7.5%

Bottled
Smells very malty and carmel background with citrus hops up front and slight floral notes in back and slight woodsy barrel taste

Tastes very malty no alcohol bite as I expected (10%) sweet carmel notes and strong citrus grapefruit taste and ends very bitter.

Mouthfeel is medium full bodied and smooth/creamy

Overal I'm impressed but I don't taste the barrel as much as I expected, reminds me of what should be a 90 minute barrel aged (445 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -9.9%

(poured into a snifter)

This beer pours a deep amber color with very little head. The aroma is a tad astringent with notes of raspberry. The front is slightly hoppy. It finishes with a hint of caramel and those raspberry notes; reminiscent of the dumb dumb suckers I had as a child. This beer reminds me more of a barley wine than an imperial IPA. Almost no hint of the oak barrels some of this was aged in. Either way, those are my two favorite styles so no complaints here! (476 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +6.5%

Served in a bottle at approx. 40 degrees

Appearance: copper red with a thin lasting head and nice lacing

Smell: Dates, slight alcohol aroma

taste: caramel, root beer? - deep, rich, malty flavor

mouthfeel: an assertive dryness at the front, and a long, lasting finish

Overall: a roasty 10% alcohol beer that hides any hint of alcohol taste - very nice! (356 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +1.2%

Appearance- Dark copper color with a nice off-white creamy head.
Aroma- Piney hops, grapefruit and oak wood.
Taste- hop bitterness up front, slight citrus, woody and for some reason soy sauce... it must be the wood.
MF- Very creamy with just the right amount of carbonation.
This beer would pair well with sushi or any asian food... because it has that soy sauce taste. (369 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

A-cooper brown. Medium carbonation. Very appealing in the glass. Looks like a beer you would enjoy in the winter time. Warm and inviting appearance. Not amber/orange like most other IIPA's.

S- Smells good, but nothing outstanding. Maybe it's me, maybe it's the beer. I'm not getting the floral, citrus, piney flavors that some other IPA's have. But what I can smell is good, just not as strong as I would expect from an IIPA. Malt.

T- I love the taste of this beer. It has a berry-like sweetness and the malt is fairly heavy. The sweetness is reigned in by the hops, but it is balanced incredibly well. Very similar flavors to 90 minute. you can taste some oak, which brings to mind founders curmudgeon. It isn't over the top, by any means, but really contributes another layer of complexity to the beer and does it very well. Lingering aftertaste that is pleasant and welcome.

M- Smooth, rich, and sticks to the tongue. The flavors stays with you, which is great with this beer. Not a crisp, biting IPA. Mellow and smooth. Did I mention it was a beer that would be good in the winter months?

O- This is a really fantastic beer. It is a unique flavor all it's own, yet at the same time reminds me of many other brews. It is a pleasure to drink and I will be looking for more of it on my trip to Virginia in July. (1,317 characters)

Well this when opend had a really great fragrant aroma of the hops used to brew this master piece of a beer,the apperance of the beer has like a dark golden or coppery look to it,so after I pored the bottle into my traditional wide mouth glass and smelled it again I could really get the essance of why this beer to me is in a world class leauge for me,I picked up a toasty kinda rich carmely kind of tones from my second smell,taste is sinsational the carbonation is balanced very well,it feels real smooth on the palate,you truly can note that the beer from it being oak aged definetly has the taste of oak but not over powering,also I can tell when Dogfish Head Brewing says they use whenever possible organic and all natural barley hops and spices they do right here in Burton Buton,moutfeel is nice and smooth in around and on the way down no complaints,overall this beer does hold up to (WORLD CLASS) Standards!!! (919 characters)

4.06/5  rDev -2.4%

This is an excellent example of oaken ale.

You can truly taste the two sides of this coin, I mean beer! The young and the old come out in this beer.

This is an great ale. I drank it in a tulip and as it warmed the sweet notes came further forward.

There was spent yeast in the bottle. But as a home brewer I am always on guard for this during the pour.

The yeast smelled of potato bread and honey. The beer didn't have any potato flavor but the sweet finish could have been a honey note but didn't smell that way in the glass. (530 characters)

3.99/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Almost an auburn color with off white head, not too think. Oak on the nose for sure. Oak up front on the mouth with a sweet smooth finish. Not big on wood aged beers but this could be a game changer. (201 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +1%

The neck proclaims a 3/30/09 bottling date. Poured into an oversized wine glass.

A: Pours an amber or light brown color, whereas many other DIPAs have that bright orange thing going on. This almost looks amber ale-ish. A thin, wispy tan head accompanies. With a vigorous swirl of the glass, the head blossoms-- two-fingers deep, fluffy, delightful looking.

S: The distinct DFH hop scent hits the nose first, followed by some sweet malts and a light oak character. Vanilla and citrus (grapefruit) at certain times too.

T & M: Complex, full, rich hop character. The beer did a lot as it warmed, too. What was consistent throughout was lots of carbonation and an alcohol warmth. While dry, bitter citrus hoppiness was prevalent for the first third, a bready sweetness emerged for the final half. Though the taste character developed throughout, it (somewhat paradoxically) always felt balanced.

D: Whenever I have a 90 min. or Palo Santo, I want another; the BB leaves me perfectly content after one. So in that sense, it's not very drinkable. But from first sip to last it's an engaging, enjoyable process. (1,110 characters)

3.98/5  rDev -4.3%

A- Amber, and copper color with golden sunset hues around the edges. Has a puffy, white, one-finger head, most of which disappears within a few minutes. This leaves behind a couple small patches of clingy lace. This one is moderately hazy, and overall, a beautiful beer.

S- Burton Baton projects an immediate burst of hops, bitter and citrusy (grapefruit). This is accompanied by a few subtle aromas: fresh melon, clean and slightly sweet malt, fresh oak, and a slight soapiness.

T- The taste shows a bit of vanilla that was less pronounced in the aroma, and also some apricot. Not quite as juicy or as bitter as I expected.

M- For the abv/style this is a bit thin for me. Additionally, it lacks the finish that I look for in a good DIPA. This seems to improve as the beer warms a bit, but still is not quite up to par with the best of them. I would say that carbonation is spot on though.

D- Very good. Although I taste relatively zero alcohol, I will say that I can feel it a bit. I would definitely slurp down a couple of these bad boys over the course of night.

I will note that this is one of the few offerings from DFH that I will repeatedly seek out. I think Burton Baton is a great beer, and having had it on tap as well, I would say that it is even better fresh from the source. Definitely check this out if you have never tried it. It won't knock your socks off, but you should find it very enjoyable. (1,416 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +2.9%

Pulled out of my cellar about a year old now, poured into my Bruery Tulip, 2 fingers of tan head pillowy stuff that is now retaining nicely.

A: Wonderful reddish peach color, with the tan head it looks beautiful. Even after 5 minutes the head is about a half finger.

S: Surprisingly after pouring it I could smell almost nothing, waiting about 5 minutes I'll give it another shot, Now I get a piney resin smell along with some oak, and a little alcohol and some vanilla, still not a strong sent. (maybe my nose is messed up)

T: Unlike the smell the taste is wonderful!, I enjoy it much more now than how I remember it when I first had it, the alachol has mellowed and the flavors of carmel and oak are mellowed nicely with the sweet resin and pine flavors along with a little fruit ending with vanilla, warming the throat as it rolls back. Very enjoyable and I highly recommend cellaring this one, amazing!

M: Unlike before it has lite carbonation, lite medium body, it finishes dry from the oak after all the resiny goodness drains out, simply great.

D: All around Amazing, especially when cellared, time is worth it but try it first, I only wish I had bought another 4 pack when I had the chance. (1,204 characters)

Dogfish head never ceases to impress me. This beer is fantastic. Surprisingly clear for an IIPA. Smell is very smooth. Not extreme on the hops side as I'm sure the Oak Barrels lay it down a bit.

The taste is whats killer. I really cant decribe it. Not too bitter, but has a bight. Not very alcoholish though you can taste it. Yea, Just try it yourself. Maybe others can review it better than me. But I've had a lot of different beers, and this is one I always try to keep in the fridge. (487 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured from 12oz bottle into snifter.

A: Deep orange with ruby highlights. Creamy 1+ finger head,

S: Vanilla, oak, caramel malt and a touch of snap of fruit, slight hint of nuts. Great aroma!

T: Deep, round flavors. Lots of vanilla, carmel and malt and oak. Snappy fruit, I don't quite get citris; maybe tart apple or nectarine?. Very well balanced big taste that fades into a long finish. There is a little hint of alcohol as the beer warms, but it blends well with the rich flavor.

M: Medium body. Silky on the tongue with a little bite at the tail end from the hops.

D: Extreamly drinkable, the high ABV is not apparent. It's a perfectly balanced and weighted beer. I haunted the store in March waiting for the release. I hope to cellar a bit for the ski season. It's rich enough for a winter warmup and clean enough to be refreshing after a day in the snow. (869 characters)

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a snifter. The bottling date on this one is 10/16/10 (Thanks DFH!) so its about two months old.

A: Pours a deep amber with a clear body and plenty of carbonation working its way to the surface but with a minimal, although sticky, head.

S: Very sweet in the nose with a nice malty backbone. Piney hops, and some subtle, sweet fruit characteristics. Apricot, orange and some other fruity esthers. The alcohol makes its way into the nose as well. Not really picking up the oak.

M: Somewhat sticky with a rich, buttery body. The alcohol warms the palate and radiates up through the throat. The carbonation is much more subtle than expected from the appearance.

T: I felt like the alcohol was a little too overpowering here. As it warms, I get some piney hops. The alcohol just seems to cut through what is a pretty substantial malt backbone, but I'm confused as it's not overpowering. Some toffee, caramel and subtle burnt sugar notes as it warms.

O: I wouldn't chill this much, if at all. It's a sipper for sure and gets richer as it warms. It's 10% so the drinkability is going to be low and honestly, why would you want to session this anyway? Akin to brandy, I would seek this out again and will revisit this on in a year or so as the other three I bought age. I expect great things from this beer as it gets some years on it. (1,363 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

12 oz bottle aged for one year poured into a snifter.

A - Pours a great reddish amber with a 1" taupe head. Globs of lacing all around the glass.

S - Nice bouquet of floral hops, honey, and cherries. Possibly a little citrus zest.

T - Probably the last thing I expected from the smell, but a HUGE chocolate flavor with the floral hops following quickly. Honey can definitely be noted accompanied by tart grapefruit and cherries. It feels like the bitterness of the citrusy, florally hops should not interact with the chocolate well, but they compliment each other in the best way possible. A little acidic and a little salty, but in a good way. The beer ends with a nice phenolic zing. Overall, it's very robust, exactly what I expect from an double.

M/D - The mouthfeel is a little thick and chewy. The carbonation is slightly low though. With the alcohol content and the intense flavor, it's pretty drinkable but, I definitely couldn't do another one after this.

Notes: The first time I had this I wasn't that impressed. I would definitely suggest aging it for at least a year. It's a completely different experience. (1,124 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

Pours amber with a small white head and lacing on the glass. The smell is magnificent: lemon, chocolate, booze, lots more, very complex. The taste is the same, many different layers with a nice hop bite and just the right amount of alcohol. One of my favorite brews. Can't give enough praise for this beer. Amazing! (315 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is one hell of a brew, it is exactly as advertised. Get the IPA upfront followed by the best flavors of whiskey in the finish. Balanced perftectly and alcohol is not present, nice warming effect. Dogfish Head delivers and you have to try if you get your hands on one. (272 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

12 ounce bottle poured into a SA Boston Lager pint glass. Serving temperature ~ 60F.

Appearance: The beer poured crystal clear. Deep copper color with a massive off-white head. The foam crept up about 3/4 of an ich over he top of the glass. It was thick and creamy and held together quite well. Medium sized bubbles and moderate carbonation.

Smell: The standard piney/cirtrus op smell expected from an American Double IPA. The hop scent was not overpowering though. A touch of roasted malt/biscuit malt shone through too along with a light oaky note from the aging of the beer.

Taste: Quite nice. Unlike most American Double IPAs, I tasted the malt up front in this beer and the hops came later after just a touch of alcohol burn. Oak flavor was present, but blended into the other flavors well. Overall, the flavor was very well balanced. Some hop bitterness lingered in my mouth.

Mouthfeel: Creamy with a nice, moderate body. The medium carbonation suited this beer well. It left a nice warm felling going down my throat.

Drinkability: The high alcohol level (10%) makes this a sipping beer. I wouldn't suggest having more than one in a sitting. The balance prevents your palate from being ruined.

-Kevin. (1,213 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -2.6%

Found this at a new specialty wine and beer store the other day. After pouring out into my glass and catching the first aromas I immeadiatly wanted to lick the inside of the bottle to make sure I got it all out. Wow!

The overall appearance of the beer was pretty average. Its color being orange and amber that wasn't quiet clear with a little haze. Hardly and head stayed on the beer but a good bit of sticky lacing held througout.

The rich oak tones come through immeadiatly. The smoothe sweetness follows with other hints of candied fruits. The taste of honey comes out right away and the incredible smoothe qualities follow. I wondered where the hops were but I guess the aging in oak mellows them out substantially and leaves the behind their flavor profiles. I really enjoyed this and will probably pick up a few more. (830 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

12 oz bottle, poured kentucky bourbon auburn into a snifter, thin head is off-white and sudsy

smells like my uncle scuppy's house: hops, corn, alcohol... some floral notes linger

complex: after initial bite, big malt and oak up front, vanilla wood and roast, strong alcohol and then flowery hops run around in a circle, ends with a trace of fruit...something refreshing like a grapefruit maybe..

creamy, a nice bite with a medium heavy mouthfeel... leaves my face warm... all of a sudden i want to put my boots on

i like this but it's damn intense... all in all im thinking about whiskey, not that i never sipped a whiskey this smooth... but its a damn good sippin beer and not offensive to those who find an ipa too hoppy... if your gout acts up or your chest burns when you drink your bourbon try sippin this instead, its not the same but then neither is anything else in your miserable life now that you got to.. how do they say?... 'moderate'? (952 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +1%

Poured a 12oz. bottle into my New Belgium Globe.

This beer poured a nice dark orange color with a big, white fluffy head. There was tremendous lacing as I drank it.

The aroma was a mix between fresh fruit and smoky wood. At first smell there were some grapefruit, orange notes with a definite hop presence. As I drank it I could begin to pick out the smoked wood notes.

At first sip I noticed the strong malt backbone. I quickly forgot about the malt when I was punched in the mouth with fresh grapefruit, hops and other citrus notes.

I absolutely love this beer. I cannot wait to see how it changes over time. (615 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +9.4%

A- Deep Grand Marnier amber tones, creamy head that sticks around for about 5 minutes only to leave a nice one inch spider web lacing

S- Hops hit you with a sweetness you can smell and almost "feel" with your nose. I can smell a little alcohol just at the end of a whiff

T- Citrusy sweetness with a woody vanilla finish. This isn't cloyingly sweet but it is an obvious high gravity brew. At 10% abv I expected to taste a lot more of its punch than I actually do. That being said, the astringency of this brew doesn't hide itself away completely, but a note to its credit the alcohol flavor finds a balance between the smooth fruitiness and round finish quite well, as long as one's expectations are within the style's outer limits.

M- Smooth and sweet. The astringency doesn't burn but warms notably as it journeys downward in the chest

D- I rated this one high for drinkability, or at least higher than I originally planned to. This went down quite well but I will not be having another one in session. The abv% alone makes me a little wary, but its pungency creates an experience I feel is best enjoyed as a bottle et solus but maybe a good one to start/end the evening (1,176 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +9.9%

Pours with 1/2" head; lingers a bit, with very modest lacing on the glass.

Coppery body with no carbonation.

Hoppy/spicy aroma - really quite complex, with additional hints of sweetness and an earthy oak scent as well.

Rather thick in the mouth; no fizz, but leaves a pleasant coating.

Taste is also quite complex, with initial hoppiness followed by a malty sweetness. Nowhere near the overpowering hops I had expected (which, for me, is a real plus - I don't get the tastebud burnout I've experienced from some hop bombs). A bit more hops in the aftertaste as well.

Goes down VERY smooth - it's hard to believe this is really 10% ABV. If it truly is, it does the best job of masking the alcohol of any similar brew I've tried.

Certainly not a "session beer," but 6 to 12 ounces of this is most welcome on a cold and snowy Ohio evening (or afternoon, for that matter)! (887 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -5.5%

Boy am I cheesy. The bros write articles about Curiuex and Burton Baton, so yesterday I reviewed Curiuex and today the Baton. Oh well, both are interesting beers and worth trying, at least once.

Appearance: from a 12oz glass. Pours a deep amber brown. Some floaties in the beer, perhaps from the oak aging or bottle conditioning. Tiny head, which lingers around the edge of the glass. Hey, what do you expect from a beer with this gravity?

Smell: Biscuity, doughy, with hints of citrus and perhaps the tinest bit of vanilla.

Taste. Wonderfully complex but it fatigued my pallette quite quickly. On my first sip I noticed hints of vanilla and other oak induced flavors, mixed with American hops. Quickly though, the hops wore my tongue out, and the malt characteristics began to dominate. This is a rather sweet beer, and much less of a hop attack than I expect from a double IPA, or even the 90 minute IPA which makes up half of this brew.

Mouthfeel.Thick, almost syrupy, very good.

Drinkability: wish it had a bit more hop character. For those who enjoy a strong oktoberfest though, you might love this one. (1,123 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

ST: A 12 oz bottle poured into a Westmalle glass goblet.

A: A nice reddish hue. Gold tones.

S: Sweet fruits, flowers, a nice sweet aroma.

T: Smooth, nothing like an IPA. Spices, fruits, a wonderful taste, the oak aging really does wonders for this brew.

M: Smooth, creamy, very nice.

D: One i would order on a regular basis, a good crossover beer for that friend who is getting in to craft/micros.

Dogfish Head is becoming a favorite of mine.... (452 characters)

Burton Baton from Dogfish Head Brewery