Immort Ale - Dogfish Head Brewery

Immort AleImmort Ale

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

English Strong Ale |  11.00% ABV

For this beer, we use maple syrup from Red Brook Farm -- Sam's family farm in Western Massachusetts, peat-smoked barley, juniper berries and vanilla.

Immort is fermented with a blend of English and Belgian yeasts, then aged in the big oak tanks at the brewery.

The sweet and earthy flavors meld magnificently in the Immort Ale. But be warned, the ABV is 11%, so after one or two you may start feeling immortal (even though we promise you won't be).

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-15-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Immort Ale Alström Bros
iamatreestump

tgoldian

02-03-2012 23:10:26 | More by tgoldian
Mitchster

1.1/5  rDev -71.2%

Pours out to a slightly hazy dark copper, forming a small dark beige head with poor retention and minimal lacing. Carbonation is mild to moderate. The aroma is repulsive and repugnant with massive diacetyl, frank incense and fusels. Sickening. Mouthfeel is cloying and syrupy with a fusel sting and dense body. Taste begins harshly with nasty fusel alcohols which make me sickly, rank diacetyl, followed by rotten apple cider, herbal hops and metals. The middle is thoroughly oxidized and tastes like wet cardboard, and the finish has this nauseating sting of lavender oil. I would go on if I could folks, but I simply can't stomach drinking any more of this. Down the sink it goes.

This tastes like Ringwood fermented at 85 degrees F.

This takes the cake as one of the most repulsive beers I've ever had...next to Ommegang and Cave Creek Chili, this is utterly revolting. Absolutely disgusting.

04-25-2004 02:54:01 | More by Mitchster
ChainGangGuy

Georgia

1.13/5  rDev -70.4%

Appearance: Pours a hazy bronze-colored body with a thin, small white head. Virtually no lacing to speak of.

Smell: Alcohol and sugary, sweet caramel teamed up with cardboard and rancid butter to create one of the most putrid aromas ever. Horrendous! This is a bad sign.

Taste: Shock and surprise registered in my eyes the moment I tasted it. It's the surprise of tasting something you knew you wouldn't like, but then it actually tasted far, far worse.

Ugh. There's just something about this beer that is really a turn off to me. A distressing, unmistakable band-aid flavor. Well, it's more of an attack on the tongue than a flavor, but still. I went looking for the maple, vanilla, and oak in the flavor and found only band-aids, glue, and rubber. The description on the bottle is completely foreign to anything contained within.

All in all, a flavor akin to burning the contents of a medicine cabinet and lapping up the results.

Mouthfeel: Thin-bodied, but being so syrupy as to relentlessly cling to the tongue.

Drinkability: With no sink nearby to dump this in, it was an absolute struggle to finish. The idea of pouring this out onto the floor was rather tempting.

Wow. Just, wow.

11-19-2006 21:52:07 | More by ChainGangGuy
Stephen_Purdue

Washington

1.4/5  rDev -63.4%

There was a serious defect in the batch I had - tasting of the adhesive used in band-aids. I would, however, be willing to try it again to re-evaluate my score. I would also appreciate some feedback from those who had a good experience with this beer or the same experience I had.

06-22-2014 00:38:30 | More by Stephen_Purdue

03-17-2013 03:25:50 | More by guajolote
ArrogantB

Colorado

1.55/5  rDev -59.4%

Reddish-brown and clear in color. The head is a soapy ring of bubbles at the edges of the glass. Alcohol seems to be the dominant smell coupled with cherry cough medicine. The flavor of this beer is fucking medicinal and downright nasty. There is some woodiness but this is like drinking a box of Band-Aids. My god this stuff is downright disgusting and is headed straight to the drain. What a waste of my $3.99.

07-23-2007 16:31:52 | More by ArrogantB
gkatsoris

1.65/5  rDev -56.8%

The appearance nice enough; very dark and enticing.

The smell was sort of dull and a little pungent.

The taste may have been the worst I have ever tasted. I am ashamed to admit it, but I poured the majority of it down the drain. It was very sour, raisony, and coppery.

Mouthfeel was avg; like a nice dark beer.

Drinkability; again...ashamed to admit but...down the drain it went.

06-27-2007 01:59:54 | More by gkatsoris
bmjivi221

South Carolina

1.7/5  rDev -55.5%

I am a big fan of Dogfish Head's beers, but his one was quite a disappointment. It was so smoky, I would compare it to chewing on charcoal. As most of Dogfish Head's beers this one was somewhat pricier than other beers on the shelf, but I decided to go with it because I like to try beers that are different. Risky beers per say. After drinking several sips and allowing it to breathe, my husband and I did not want to waste what money we put into it, so we just downed it. Not an enjoyable beer.

07-16-2013 23:38:05 | More by bmjivi221
rye726

Colorado

1.73/5  rDev -54.7%

This beer just didn't do it for me. It was a clear ruby color with a weak tan head. The nose has some dark fruits, caramel candy and strong alcohol. The taste has a cloying sweetness with again the harsh alcohol. The balance is way off on this one. I am reminded of my experience with Old School Barleywine... Not good. A medium body would go down nicely if this tasted better. I drank one bottle and returned the rest of my 4 pack.

05-26-2008 23:40:08 | More by rye726
beergorrilla

03-26-2013 12:18:55 | More by beergorrilla
heathbaa132

1.75/5  rDev -54.2%

The smell and look of this beer was okay. But as soon as i tasted it, i was very disappointed. my fiance describe it as smoked fish taste, and my roomate agreed with the band aid taste, except added its not evan band aid brand taste, more like the generic band aids. I can also see the raw meat comment. This was a present to us, and boy was it awful. I seldom, and i mean seldom, toss a beer, and i would have if my fiance didnt offer to choke it down. I dont know how someone could taste that beer and put that price and novelty aspect on it. washing it down with a rogue.

12-03-2011 00:51:51 | More by heathbaa132
dawg

1.75/5  rDev -54.2%

I picked one up at Amels. Think it was over peated or had bad base malt. Tasted like band-aids. Had to send it back. Substituted a 60 minute IPA which cleansed the palate.

The lable was appealing as is typical for DFH. Nice and intricate.

The alcohol was dominated by the phenolic tones. The vanilla and maple was also masked. Felt thick and chewy as I expected.

09-16-2007 12:59:24 | More by dawg