Follow our progress ...

Immort AleImmort Ale

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States | website

Style: English Strong Ale

For this beer, we use maple syrup from Red Brook Farm -- Sam's family farm in Western Massachusetts, peat-smoked barley, juniper berries and vanilla.

Immort is fermented with a blend of English and Belgian yeasts, then aged in the big oak tanks at the brewery.

The sweet and earthy flavors meld magnificently in the Immort Ale. But be warned, the ABV is 11%, so after one or two you may start feeling immortal (even though we promise you won't be).

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-15-2001

Reviews: 1,157 | Ratings: 2,631
4.61/5  rDev +19.4%

Appearance: A hazy orange/red body with a light rust colored head. The head had little lasting time. The ABV could be the cluprite but I have seen other strong ales with better head retention. Other than that the appearance was appealing.

Smell: Rum, raisin, some caramel, and bitter orange peel come to my nose. Very complex. The alcohol gives the aroma a certain kick or punch to it.

Taste: Mellow burnt toffee arrive first camping out on the tongue through the aftertaste. Subtle but flavorful fruit and spice comes into the mix. The hops were there but just added what they needed but did not take the forefront. The malt was the forefront. Alcohol definitely warmed. Excellent!

Mouthfeel: This is very chewy and rich. Definitely what I am looking for in a strong ale. There is enough carbonation but it almost isn't needed with the alcohol warming.

Not too drinkable considering the alcohol. The alcohol is a little rough in this beer which I like but I do not think I could have many of these. Great flavor and brew though.

4.8/5  rDev +24.4%

I’m always glad to see something new from Dogfish Head at my “local” package stores. I saw this one on the shelves at Bacchus in Chattanooga and quickly grabbed it up.

It pours out into the goblet a murky shade of rusty brown. A small head presents itself but quickly dissipates into a thin rim of foam about the edge of the glass with a greasy rim of suds managing to cling to the top. Sparse streams of tiny carbonation bubbles are evident, and a relief I must add because the label on this brew states it was bottled in 1999.

Alcohol is thickly evident on the nose, somewhat vinous in character. I pick up on grapes, rich malts, a touch of woodiness, and vanilla in the aroma. I have to admit though, the alcohol smell dominates the nose and makes it hard to pick anything else out. As it warms though a very defined flowery smell makes its presence known.

What a glorious brew to taste. Seriously, each sip sends a chain-reaction of vibrant flavors back across my tongue. BIG tart cherry presence in the beginning. This leads back into the wood-enhanced malts accompanied by hints of sharp slices of vanilla flavors. The finish is composed of vinous alcohol flavors along with grape-skins and bitter, perhaps under-ripe dark fruit. The mouthfeel is on the heavy side of a medium brew, hanging onto my palette perfectly to let those flavors erupt over my taste-buds. This beer absolutely abuses my tongue with beautiful vibrant flavors that interweave into possibly one of the BEST beers I’ve ever tasted.

Pure bliss.

3.45/5  rDev -10.6%

This was a nice amber ale with a short head. About what I expected for something as strong as a barleywine.

The aroma was of sweet malt and champange, with some very light citrus thrown in almost as an afterthought.

The taste was pretty good... it was richly malty, a nice bitter foretaste fading to bitterness, champagne and oak.

I wasn't impressed with the mouthfeel though... it was a little cloyingly thick, too much for my tastes. Apart from that, a worthwhile experience, as I am working to try all the Dogfish Head varieties I can get my hands on.

4.07/5  rDev +5.4%

Hmmm - no date stamped or marked on this beer. For something 11% ABV that probably ages well, I'd think a date would be a good idea. Anyway, pours a bright red color with a medium-sized white head. The scent is of very sweet malt, vanilla and oak.

Sweetness continues thru the taste from front to end - a lot of maple notes and definitely some candied sugar. Maple sugar (not sure what that means exactly)? In any case, nicely thick. Though incredibly sweet, the sugary taste isn't overpowering - instead the beer continues to grow on me as it warms. In my last few sips I noticed some cinammon, too.

Quite a different beer/strong ale/barleywine. Kinda makes me think of salt water taffy and candied nuts, and pretty easy to drink for a 11% ABV.

3.87/5  rDev +0.3%

Pours and orange amber color with a small light tan head that leaves a nice lacing. This smells of fruits, malt sweetness and a bit of vanilla. There is also some alcohol detectable as well. The taste is of sweet malts like maple syrup and a good amount of hops but not in the usually big hops DFH fashion. A very balanced beer with no trace of the alcohol in the taste. Its body and mouthfeel are a bit on the thin side, which helps the drinkability. This beer could defiantly be dangerous if you had a few bottles as it goes down too easy without the taste of alcohol there to remind you how strong it really is.

3.26/5  rDev -15.5%

Bottled 1/03

Light cream and tangy cherry aroma. Airy, oatmeal colored head fades slowly to a murky film leaving a bit of scattered lace. Ruby copper colored beer with a mass of fine bubbles floating to the surface. Some tangy cherry in the flavor, some roasted notes, and a bit of creamy chocolate malt. Solid beer that's smooth and creamy goind down. 11% abv is hardly noticable. It was missing the solid malt core, and creamy maple notes I've noticed before. Still not bad, although I think it was heading the direction of Quelque Chose.

4.05/5  rDev +4.9%

A: Opaque, cloudy cinnamon brown in color. Initial head was a fluffy one inch off white color.
S: Definite notes of maple syrup and vanilla up front. Strong smell of alcohol which carries the aromas. Some nice fruity notes come through as this beer warms up a little and breathes.
T: Slick sweetness with strong notes of honey and vanilla. No real hop flavor noted.
M: Strongly warming alcohol feel. Full bodied without being too thick. Syrupy slick feel. Nice level of carbonation.
D&N: A bit on the sweet side, but nice to drink. This would make a good "occasion" beer, but I couldn't see myself drinking more than one of these at a sitting.
Edit to add: Woohoo! my one hundredth beer review!

4.22/5  rDev +9.3%

12 oz bottle.
Pours a deep amber color with a small but resilient off-white head. Lacing is very nice.
Aromas of malt sweetness, caramel, ripe fruits, maple syrup and slight vanilla. There is a little bit of alcohol in the nose as well, but at 11% alcohol, it's no wonder.
This is one of the most complex and pleasent barley wines I have tired. Caramel, vanilla, fruit, and syrup play a part in the flavor, but in keeping with American Barley Wine tradition, this beer is hopped quite a bit. While the bitterness never overpowers the maltiness, it balances out the beer nicely.
This is one of the best barley wines I've had. DFH has a real winner here and I will definitely have to try this again some time.

3.98/5  rDev +3.1%

You are either going to like this or you are going to hate it. 11 %ABV (be a little careful.) Dogfish Head brews tend to the hoppy side and I expected that in this high alcohol brew. Not so. Very drinkable. Pours a nice head that lasts a while. A nice clear honey color. Smells like maple and malt. Someone more in tune with the complexity of beers could pick out different scents.
The flavor stands out. Has some of the sweet flavors of a dark English porter and a maple syrup that make you want to try on pancakes. Not heavy, not over done in the alcohol after taste as you fine in many high ABV brews. Real nice mouth feel.
You could drink a few of these, but do not be driving.

2.9/5  rDev -24.9%

Appearance: Copper color, about a half finger head that didn't last long.

Smell: Very sweet. Getting some oak and maple syrup scents. The smells don't seem to meld well together.

Taste: Really sweet, maple syrup taste is the first thing I notice. Slight traces of vanilla. Some oak flavor, almost tastes like a sweet whiskey, only lighter.

Mouthfeel: Syrupy, matches the maple flavor.

Drinkability: The alcohol is too upfront to drink this quickly, or to drink more than one in a sitting. It's a little too sweet also.

Overall, not as good as I thought it would be, maybe some aging would have helped. I would try this again with some age on it.

4.6/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

outstanding:
poured out a fair amber color with that typical decent head that dwindles off fairly quick, this is typical of most of the dog brews i have tried.
smelled great, maple sweetness stood out, sugary and a little vanilla note
taste was the same as the smell, sweet and warm the whole way down
mouthfeel was sticky and sweet, similar to what you would expect from a barley wine
very drinkable, i finished off 4 in a night, woke up on my couch at 3am :) but hey I enjoyed every drop, If you like the big beers with sweetnees such as barley wines you will love this offering.

1.12/5  rDev -71%

Pours out to a slightly hazy dark copper, forming a small dark beige head with poor retention and minimal lacing. Carbonation is mild to moderate. The aroma is repulsive and repugnant with massive diacetyl, frank incense and fusels. Sickening. Mouthfeel is cloying and syrupy with a fusel sting and dense body. Taste begins harshly with nasty fusel alcohols which make me sickly, rank diacetyl, followed by rotten apple cider, herbal hops and metals. The middle is thoroughly oxidized and tastes like wet cardboard, and the finish has this nauseating sting of lavender oil. I would go on if I could folks, but I simply can't stomach drinking any more of this. Down the sink it goes.

This tastes like Ringwood fermented at 85 degrees F.

This takes the cake as one of the most repulsive beers I've ever had...next to Ommegang and Cave Creek Chili, this is utterly revolting. Absolutely disgusting.

2.71/5  rDev -29.8%

Poured into a pint glass from a 12oz bottle. Seems to have been bottled in November of '03. Pours a clear copper color with a small tight white head that leave rather quickly but leaves a nice film of lace. Quite a bit of carbonation in a style of beer that I would have figured to be on the lower end of CO2. Floral hops, maple and malt are the first things that I smell as I take my first drink. This beer is very sweet from start to finish. Not exactly a beer that I want more than one in a single sitting. The sweetness does a decent job of hiding the alcohol.

2.37/5  rDev -38.6%

A descent looking beer upon first pouring (I can't really invision a bad looking beer). The head stuck around for awhile, though I had poured it for maximum head affect. There wasn't much smell to note. I was really bummed by the taste--there was no taste other than alcohol. This beer was a total disappointment. Some one in a review noted there is a taste of Gin and that was all I could think as I forced the glass down. So many fine ales out there to invest in this again.

3.66/5  rDev -5.2%

Poured out a copper/dark golden color with a decent enough carbonation. For an old ale it was lighter than I expected. Smell was like a New England maple forest. A hint of vanilla was detected also. Taste was complex to be honest. A bunch of smokiness, caramel, vanilla, and woodness can be tasted. Yet they're quite balanced. Drinking this reminds me of the Fall time in New England. A terrific sipping brew. Another winner from Dogfish Head.

3.82/5  rDev -1%

After having this a few times, I bought one to review.

Apperance: Pours a dark copper, somewhat brown. A generous pour induces an inch of head, even though this is near room temp. Head fades quickly.

Smell: Esteric fuit, figs, vanilla, and OAK or some other hardwood. Don't quote me from the label, but the nose is pretty much what they advertise. It's sweet above all else.

Taste: The first taste is very smooth. Maple syrup comes to mind. I feel as if they added some sort of sugar to this. It's incredibly sweet. Nice malt aftertaste, same flavor of dirt, vanilla and rum. After the intense maple syrup, I think fig and brandy are dominant. Hops are weak.

Mouthfeel: Quite viscous, but not quite heavy enough to bother. Very smooth, and the sweetness makes it so much easier to sip. Maple syrup. I can say, the alcohol is not there. 11%. I feel it, but I don't believe it. Best ABV hidejob I've had. Don't preach Duvel or asskickin Bwines, but they really did this up right.

Drinkability: Great nightcap. No one will pound these, nor should they. Good lush filler. Not one to start with though.

3.55/5  rDev -8%

Beige head with creamy lacing on the glass, great retention. Whiffs of oak and maple after a swirl, and tints of malt. Body is an orange-ish maple color, quite full in the mouth, with gentle carbonation. Smooth and flavorful, with a complex mix of wooden and well-balanced malt and hop flavors, sweetish vanilla on the tip of the tongue, alcohol warmth in the back of the mouth. Many other flavors running the gamut of grass, wood, and fruit. Heavy alcohol flavor going down, lingering in the aftertaste, with a slight hop profile.

A complex brew with many interestive flavors, making it very unique, but the alcohol is a little too apparent. Will definitely keep you warm in the winter, and I feel like I should be drinking this out of a flask rather than a glass. Had a 5-month old bottle, so I should perhaps try a fresher one.

3.88/5  rDev +0.5%

Twelve ounce brown bottle - month of packaging notched on label.

Dark golden colour, topped by a thin white head. Some spotty streaks of lace are left clinging to the glass.

Nose has a touch of smoke, & some big fruit happening.

Expansive, sweet malt. Some smoke, fruit, woody, a hint of vanilla in the finish & a bittersweet berry flavour that pops & lingers. Medium / full bodied, smooth, easy carbonation.

3.8/5  rDev -1.6%

brown with an orangey pink hue, thin white head that dissapates quickly. a variety of smells to pick out... vanilla, a vague smoked oaky smell, brown sugar slight fig/prune smell, and a sort of sweet acidic tomato smell (sounds gross but that the best way i can describe it). vanilla, and maple flavors are strongest, followed by a fruitiness that while rich is not overpowering. i don't know if i can really taste much in the way of hops, though there's a little in there, judging from the slight bitterness, but lack of hop character. very warming and alcoholic a the finish. pretty full mouthfeel. overall drinkability takes a hit because it's a little too sweet and because 3/4 of a glass is enough for me. i feel like this is more suited for a brandy snifter than a pint glass, as i would be more inclined to drink this by the oz. than by the pint. this is one of the few beers that i feel is better with food than standing alone. a good dessert pairing. i'd like to try to cook the alcohol out of this sometime and drizzle it on a dessert, like pie or something. this beer isn't killer or anything, but i applaud dogfish head for their innovation.
note: this was aged about half a year.

3.74/5  rDev -3.1%

Note: My bottle was aged at least 2 years.
Very strong conglomeration of flavors in this sherry-like brew. Reminded me of Sam Adams Triple in that way, along with its syrupy texture. The malt flavor was strong enough to penetrate my dense nasal membranes, which was nice, but the hop aroma was weak. I could easily taste the maple and vanilla mentioned on the label, and was trying to give a name to the overall taste impression.Whiskey came to mind. The warming alcohol softens the palate and the flavors seep into the brain. I nice experience but nothing to write home about.

3.6/5  rDev -6.7%

From notes:
Pours a slighty tea-stained amber with a low white head that disapates quickly but leaves a little lacing.

Smell is nearly all malt at arms length, then maple is apparent in a hurry, hint of vanilla. Alcohol at 11 ABV is there, but not as much as expected.

Taste is fairly complex, with maple standing out front, a bit syrupy perhaps, malty and less hop than I wanted, but the alcohol is warming for sure.

It's a smooth, medium-bodied brew that is just a little too far on the sweet side for me to drink more than one. Still, another quality brew from Dogfish Head.

4.2/5  rDev +8.8%

Reddish-amber color, small head.

Strong hops aroma, some citrus, light alcohols and a slight fruitiness. Lots to take in, can't wait to taste.

Medium body, silky smooth. The bitterness of the hops melds with the warmth of the alcohol. It's followed by rich oak-like flavors and finishes with a blend of vanilla and maple sugar-like sweetness. This is a really awesome brew. I have a couple more that i'll put away for a little while, but as it is this is just great.

3.7/5  rDev -4.1%

The beer poured an orangish-amber color with a fluffy white head that quickly settled down to a thin sheet. For some reason I expected more lacing, there wasn't much. Still an attractive looking brew.
The smell was sugary sweet. Seemed to be slight hints of granny apples. Raisins and some dark fruit also made themselves known. A little bit of spiciness along the backside.
The taste surprised me, sweeter than I thought. A maple syrup type sweetness hits first, followed by lots of sweet malt. As the beer warms a strong oak flavor comes out. A small amount of vanilla is present in the background. On the finish the sweetness takes on a more astringent type flavor which is the lowpoint of the beer. More maple syrup on the aftertaste along with a bready flavor.. Leaves a sweet feeling in the mouth long after your finished.
Not a bad beer, its hard to get around the sweetness for me.

Big Thanks to Fishbone for sending this my way.

4.32/5  rDev +11.9%

The beer pours a cloudy amber color with a thin white lace head. The aroma is great. It has a nice vanilla and oakey scent that adds to the complex malt aroma. The taste is good. It has a rich malt palate with a sweet maple, vanilla aftertaste. It has a warm feel on the way down, but it drinks easy. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a flavorful beer with much complexity. Dogfish Head are brewing pioneers.

4.49/5  rDev +16.3%

Appearance: Cloudy meringue; brown with an orange tinge. Minimal head but greater than average carbonation.

Smell: Smells almost like a Belgian. Vinous and estery, with tons of sweet malt. Alcohol is noticeable, as is the yeast. I didn't detect even a hint of hops.

Taste: Initial jaw-clenching sweetness. Almost too sweet, but that's the only flavor flaw I found. Very round and full flavor profile, with the thick sweetness hitting up front. The middle is almost juicy, and is definitely mouthwatering. The finish is dry, estery, and slightly hot from the high alcohol level. I bet this would mature well, and allow the vanilla profile (which comes through more and more as the beer warms) to shine through. Very, very nicely done.

Immort Ale from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery