Immort Ale - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

English Strong Ale |  11.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-15-2001

For this beer, we use maple syrup from Red Brook Farm -- Sam's family farm in Western Massachusetts, peat-smoked barley, juniper berries and vanilla.

Immort is fermented with a blend of English and Belgian yeasts, then aged in the big oak tanks at the brewery.

The sweet and earthy flavors meld magnificently in the Immort Ale. But be warned, the ABV is 11%, so after one or two you may start feeling immortal (even though we promise you won't be).

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Immort Ale Alström Bros

3.5/5  rDev -8.4%

2.99/5  rDev -21.7%

5oz pour at Belmont Station.

Pours a clear, burnt orange with a thin, bone white head.

The honey and juniper definitely come through and blend well with the caramel malts.

The juniper berries and peat-smoking are quite dominant in the taste and take away from any honey, vanilla or caramel malt character.

A medium body with very light, prickly carbonation.

The nose was promising, but unfortunately the taste was over whelmed by the juniper berries.

3.5/5  rDev -8.4%

3.25/5  rDev -14.9%

2.69/5  rDev -29.6%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

This is confusing.

The nose is stinky. It's got some mild dark fruits muddled in with an abundance of peat smoked/medicinal overkill. That's the band-aid smell come taste some of us have experienced. (I've only recently tied it to peat smoked stuff).

If you can separate out the band-aid in your palate, and mind, or you're a peat-smoked malt kind of person, you might love this. I can't get the vanillas our bourbon-like characteristic I expected out of this. I think I'm super sensitive to flavors released by peat-smoking? I'll have to try more whiskeys with that, just to experiment. Anyway, as one other person said: "it's a band-aid bomb". I'm trying to get past it, but I can't. It permeates the brew. My wife gets no band-aid or medicinal flavors or scents. Maybe they wen't overboard with the peat-smoked malt in this one? I'll check it out again, just because it was so frustrating, and because sometimes I end up loving stuff I've hated.

4.75/5  rDev +24.3%