Immort Ale - Dogfish Head Brewery

Immort AleImmort Ale

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

English Strong Ale |  11.00% ABV

For this beer, we use maple syrup from Red Brook Farm -- Sam's family farm in Western Massachusetts, peat-smoked barley, juniper berries and vanilla.

Immort is fermented with a blend of English and Belgian yeasts, then aged in the big oak tanks at the brewery.

The sweet and earthy flavors meld magnificently in the Immort Ale. But be warned, the ABV is 11%, so after one or two you may start feeling immortal (even though we promise you won't be).

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-15-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Immort Ale Alström Bros

3.5/5  rDev -8.6%

3.25/5  rDev -15.1%

2.68/5  rDev -30%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

This is confusing.

The nose is stinky. It's got some mild dark fruits muddled in with an abundance of peat smoked/medicinal overkill. That's the band-aid smell come taste some of us have experienced. (I've only recently tied it to peat smoked stuff).

If you can separate out the band-aid in your palate, and mind, or you're a peat-smoked malt kind of person, you might love this. I can't get the vanillas our bourbon-like characteristic I expected out of this. I think I'm super sensitive to flavors released by peat-smoking? I'll have to try more whiskeys with that, just to experiment. Anyway, as one other person said: "it's a band-aid bomb". I'm trying to get past it, but I can't. It permeates the brew. My wife gets no band-aid or medicinal flavors or scents. Maybe they wen't overboard with the peat-smoked malt in this one? I'll check it out again, just because it was so frustrating, and because sometimes I end up loving stuff I've hated.

4.75/5  rDev +24%

2.5/5  rDev -34.7%

4.13/5  rDev +7.8%

The appearance of the beer is a dark, reddish brown. The head poured at a quarter of an inch with a very thin head on the surface moments after pouring and light lacing on the glass as you consume.

The smell is average to me; it is tough for me to smell the true flavor of the beer. I smell the woody (oak) aroma and the vanilla but it is slightly skunky as well.

I think the taste is great. It is an 11% beer, so I want, and expect, a strong pseudo-liquor bite and fume to the brew. It is present but does not mask the strong oak flavor, slight vanilla flavor, and underlying brown sugar based malt of the beer. It is unique and strong, nothing else tastes quite like it (haha! at least not that I have run across yet...). Being unique is difficult to obtain in a world where brew masters are pushing the envelope at all times.

The mouth feel is good. It is a thick beer but you should expect that at 11%, and the carbonation is at a minimum so it is pretty easy to drink, but definitely not a "I just worked all afternoon in my yard during the summer and want to guzzle a beer" beer.

Overall I like the brew - unique and strong.

Immort Ale from Dogfish Head Brewery