Immort Ale - Dogfish Head Brewery

Immort AleImmort Ale

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

English Strong Ale |  11.00% ABV

For this beer, we use maple syrup from Red Brook Farm -- Sam's family farm in Western Massachusetts, peat-smoked barley, juniper berries and vanilla.

Immort is fermented with a blend of English and Belgian yeasts, then aged in the big oak tanks at the brewery.

The sweet and earthy flavors meld magnificently in the Immort Ale. But be warned, the ABV is 11%, so after one or two you may start feeling immortal (even though we promise you won't be).

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-15-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Immort Ale Alström Bros
4.33/5  rDev +13.4%

Once poured, this barleywine is a glowing amber color wih a brief head of eggshell that leaves spots of clumpy lace.

The aroma is rich and filled with sweet nuances of scorched caramel, toffee, molasses, sugar cookies, and is deepened by a note of peat smoked oak.

If the nose is rich, then the flavor is a millionaire. Creamy sweet malt flavors of caramel, and scorched brown sugar colide with clover honey, bourbon barrel vanilla, cinnamon cookies, sticky fruit preserves, and a beautiful smokey charred oak barrel note. There is a gentle bite of spicey hops in the finish.

The body is huge with a thick, creamy, and oliy mouthfeel and very lite carbonation. A perfect after-dinner sipper. This needs to be served with creme brule and fresh berries.

This really reminds me more of an Old Ale than a barleywine due to it's malt-forward profile, complex caramel sweetness, subtle hopping, and rich mouthfeel.

AlexJ, Jun 20, 2005
4.3/5  rDev +12.6%

Review #100 - figured a barleywine would be appropriate. 12 oz. with no bottling date and a blurb about the beer on the front label. Served slightly chilled in a snifter. Pours a ruby/brown color with a bit of sediment and a 1/4 inch head that leaves no lacing. The first aromas I noted were fruity (dark fruits, apples?), but they are followed (and overpowered) by oak, caramel, smoke, and vanilla, with bubblegum showing up from time to time. The first sip reveals the flavors noted on the front label - maple, oak, and vanilla - along with caramel, a sugary sweetness and the same fruity notes. It has some faint hops and tobacco hiding in the background and a wonderful mouthfeel that is full, thick, and smooth. This is a big, malty beer with a low level of hops that kinda makes me think of a dopplebock or a Belgian. The oak is nice, though it's a little too pronounced for my liking; however, they get points for originality and not being afraid of experimentation.

mmmbeer, Jun 16, 2005
3.88/5  rDev +1.6%

Immort Ale is definitely one of the most unique barleywines I've ever had.

Appearance...The bottle pours a nice amber-red-ruby color into my chalice. Looks like a nice peaceful beer....just wait for the onslaught of flavors.

Smell....The aroma is nice and smooth. No real strong alcohol smell, which is appealing.

Taste...Bittersweet is all I can say. The maple and oak flavors are very evident, along with a slight sweet natural flavor (which I assume must be the vanilla). Tastes strong, but not in an offensive alcoholic strong. After holding it over my tongue, it does bring on some alcoholic heat. I have to say, the flavors in this beer are unparalleled to anything else I've ever had. Very different....and did I mention bittersweet!??!?!

Mouthfeel...Medium-almost full bodied and then surprisingly creamy. I like.

Drinkability...I really enjoy drinking this. After a whole bottle, it is a lot of wood flavor for my taste buds, but I still enjoy it. I could have a couple in one sitting, but no more than that. Even still a very drinkable barleywine.

mmm....wood chips in my beer

ILiveOffHops, Jun 14, 2005
4.58/5  rDev +19.9%

Pours ruby brown, very thin off-white head and spotty lacing. The color is amazing, almost like a dusty jewel. Lots of sour oak tanins in the nose mingled with sweet caramel malts, some alcohol and a faint whiff of smoke. Lots of tanins in the flavor as well; vanilla with citric hop undertones. There is a good mix of raisiny sweetness that contrasts and complements that sour oak flavor. Spectacular. As the beer warms it gains an awesome sugary sweetness that hides the alcohol and makes it hugely drinkable. Very full, smooth velvety mouthfeel.
This beer is vastly complex. The sour oakiness mingling with the sweetness in a complex dance of flavors, capped by a warming alcohol glow. The box says that this beer is meant to be cellared and I fully intend to do so. It also goes well with a pipe or sweeter cigar. A fantastic beer.

gimmehead, Jun 05, 2005

A very good example of the style.

Pours a dark mahogany brown with minimal head. Not a lot of carbonation. Very good lacing throughout. Aromas are dominated by raisins, maybe even a little dried apple along with some heavy alcohol. Taste follows suit with a lot of raisiny sweetness and alcohol astringency. The raisins are so powerful that there's a lot of that raisny aftertaste also present. A very strong brew that is good for sipping, ideally with cheese I would gather.

aquatonex, May 30, 2005
3.75/5  rDev -1.8%

DFH=assertive, I know of no other way to put it. Love them or hate them, their beers have character, loads of character. Iconic. This aptly named barleywine is no exception.

The Immort Ale pours a lovely ruby brown into the snifter, no head to speak of. The smell is burnt sandalwood and maybe a touch of malt. Taste is a hammer blow of tree resin, sugar, and malty goodness. The mouthfeel is thinned somewhat due to the alcohol presence. This beer is a baby and it needs some time to mature. I can't wait to try one of these in a year or two. I might look for an older edition now to trade. Even this young, it is still a decent sipper, but with DFH, it can take a few sips to get used to.

pentathlete, May 29, 2005
4.55/5  rDev +19.1%

Appearence: Pours a mellow brown with a thin, quickly dissapating head.

Smell: The smell is a strong mix of hops and alcohol, with not as much malt sweetness as I had hoped. It's still compelling and complex.

Taste and Mouthfeel: The taste is a smooth, sweet mix of complex malty notes and strong alcohol. The taste is perfectly complex, wonderfully balanced, and tasty as all hell. The mouthfeel is smooth, creamy, and lucious.

Drinkability and Overall: While it's not quite as glorious as I remember, this is still a downright killer barleywine. It just tastes so brilliant and goes down even better. I love it.

santoslhalper, May 25, 2005
4.08/5  rDev +6.8%

Pours a whiskey colored copper with minimal head. Smell is malt, oak, vanilla undertones. Oak flavor, chewy malt presence, bsicuit -like quality. Very interesting blend...some apple nores too. Reminds me a tad of Ephemere green apple by Unibroue, but witha definite alcohol kick. Mouthfeel is full-bodied, rich and smooth...a bit like aged quality whiskey. For an 11 abv this is extremely drinkable. A very respectable brew.

edchicma, May 22, 2005
4.18/5  rDev +9.4%

Hazy, peachy-coppery-amber-bronze in hue; there is plenty going on with the liquid. The head was off white in color; at the apex the foam was one finger in height. Head retention was fair; it faded quickly to a soapy cap and then a thick collar (almost naked in the middle). There wasn’t much subsequent lacing, just a few specks here and there, as to be expected for a beer of this sort. Overall, this beer looks very attractive in my glass.

The nose is woody but not in a sophisticated way. I smell mulch and earth. There is some faint grape in the mix. Am I standing in a field of grapes? Upwind it seems, as the aromas are weak. When I work at the bouquet I detect vanilla and raw alcohol. The finish is spicy, peppery, and muddy… I’m unclear as the direction of this beer. Where is the maltiness? I would think a beer this big would have a pronounced malt backbone; I get a hint of caramel sweetness. Overall the nose is acceptable, there is some complexity but the potency is so weak and the aromas don’t really melt into one clear voice. I can’t call it inviting. Apathetic.

The palate is wonderful! It is a damn shame the taste couldn’t translate into a nose that said something. Oh well. I love what I taste. Upfront are thick, chewy malts with dark fruits, mainly raisins and dates. The fruit is lightly splashed in vanilla liquor that has been aged in oak vats. In the middle, a delicate maple syrup/woody flavor enters. The beer turns warmer as well. Raw. The malt is still muddled but it is roughly caramely. At the finish a tickle of bitterness emerges, the vanilla returns as does some fruit, this time it is cherries, peaches, and apples. The aftertaste is hot like brandy infused with vanilla aged in oak/maple cask. The palate is very intricate. I love beer like this; it hits so many right notes. I wish the hops were a tad more pronounced because this beer is a tickle too sweet. Still it is hard to complain, as this beer is very unique. Lovely.

Almost full in body, the carbonation is low but very fitting for this beer. The mouthfeel is relax and it subtlety suggests this beer needs to be sipped. This is an excellent nightcap.

This is a tasty beast. Sure, it is sweet and it does have vanilla in the mix; while most of the time those are not positive attributes with me, they do work well in Immort Ale. It all works! This is a great beer by DFH. I need to thank mentor for the bottle, what a wonderful gift. Thanks! I recommend this beer highly!

bditty187, May 18, 2005
4.15/5  rDev +8.6%

Pours a beautiful copper with very little light tan head. Not much lacing.
Aroma Wow. Caramel roasty malt with a NICE smokey and woodsy hint in there.
Taste. Even better. All of the flavors come together harshly yet satisfyingly mixed. Way too complex, but vanilla, smokey wood, sweet caramel, and dare I say more that I couldnt identify.
Mouthfeel was average.
Drinkability was amazing. The purely unique flavor kept me going to the fridge. I finished 3 of the 4 pack immediately before I realized what I was doing.
Note**
While this is listed as a barley wine, this isnt like any other barley wine I have tried. I picked it up just because it was a DFH I havent tried yet. When I tasted it I thought the classification would be a smoke or rauch beer based on the taste.

stegmakk, May 08, 2005
4.13/5  rDev +8.1%

Snagged a 4-pack for around $10, as I've been wanting to try this for a while. Even though it's better for Winter, I'm drinking it now, and I won't let it affect my ratings.

Appearance: Dark, hazy orange color. Thin head that quickly dissipates, though the lacing is sticky as all hell and it making some cool patterns on the inside of my wine glass.

Smell: Here's the thing with the smell. The components are there, but the mishmash doesn't go together well. The woodiness and sugars are apparent, also slight vanilla. But I feel letting this sit will surely contribute to allowing the aromas to form better in the bottle. Still, it's nice, but unbalanced, and it could be amazing if they could come through better.

Taste: Comes across much better than the aromas. Initially oak woodiness slides into sweetness: slight toffee, candi sugar, maple, vanilla, raisins. The oak is complimentary. I've never tasted a beer like this, or a barley wine for that matter. Totally can't wait to see what it does in the cellar, as I'm planning on buying another 4-pack to store, in addition to what becomes left of these.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, luscious (the bottle doesn't lie), silky and utterly smooth. It's very sweet, so it can become a bit cloying at times, though sipping on it and having smaller sips eliminates any unbearable sweetness. Not a lot of carbonation, but enough to reveal itself as a beer and not a flavorful liqueur.

Drinkability: For cold evenings, sipping, reading, relaxing. A good after-work beer in one dose and certainly not a session.

As stated before, I can't wait to see what this does -- tons of potential is there for this to be absolutely amazing in a year or two, even most beers that I've said that about in the past. Certainly pick one up to try if you can; this is a pretty stellar and singular beer.

asabreed, May 07, 2005
3.78/5  rDev -1%

Poured from a 12oz with no dates into a pint glass.

Medium amber with a head that died before it was placed on the table. Even after a rather rough poor it fell to almost nothing.

Wood dominates the nose. It reminds me of New Holland's Dragon's Milk, woody and slightly winey. I'm getting the impression that the oak aroma masks the alcohol, not that its a bad thing, but it does seem to impede other aromas.

Again, wood is in the forefront with the vanilla that was promised on the label coming through. There's a slight presence of alcohol towards the end. Slightly peppered with the warming one could expect from an 11% abv.

The mouthfeel is full and smooth. The carbonation and alcohol stay out of the way. Although there is enough complexity and odd but pleasant (for a BW) aromas and flavors to keep me interested, the abv hurts the drinkability of this brew.

This one stretches the definition of a BW....in a good way.

ypsifly, May 05, 2005
4.2/5  rDev +9.9%

Pours a clear, deep amber color, with a diminutive head, most likely killed by the abv. The 11% is immediately apparent in the nose, as well as sweet malts, some dark fruit, and a hint of vanilla. Huge malts move from bready to sweet, with some woody hints. A very subdued roasted flavor is present as well. Alcohol is big and bold, but does not overpower. It really adds to the flavor. Some great earthy, herbal notes as well. Mouthfeel is malty smooth, permeated with alcohol. Another solid brew from DFH.

BeerFink, May 05, 2005
3.6/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I bought a six of this last week. Since DFH is making 4 packs Immort Ale year, I have to assume that its last years brew and has had a year to mellow out. That may explain why I don’t taste a lot of alcohol although I certainly feel it.

Is this beer? It doesn’t taste like beer. No bitterness. No real maltiness. Lots of alcohol kick without the burn.

It pours an amber color into my chimay glass. ..small head.. not a lot of carbonation.

Smells like brandy.

There are lots a non beer flavors..vanilla and maple. Its very tasty but it just doesn’t taste like beer as I think of beer. This is the best barleywine I’ve had so far. I can actually drink it without grimacing.

maltedmilk, May 04, 2005
3.53/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Dark yet clear amber and caramel hued pour with a tan thin collar quickly settling to a scattered stratified lace.

Aromas of lightly smoked peat scents with vegetal aroma.

First swigs: Slightly smoked hickory and cheddar cheese. Woody charcoal notes remind me of a rauchbier.

Sticky, full bodied feel. A total smoke rauch meets mind meld.

Last swigs: Rauch bier meets rum raisin ice cream. Quite a nod towards Orkney Skull Splitter but not so extreme. Sorta Heavyweight Cinderbock, and whoa! Hidden 12% ABV!.

blitheringidiot, Apr 29, 2005

This poured a bright copper to orange color with a thin tan head that settled quickly back into the beer. The aroma has a lot of hops and citrus, there is definitely some Old School barleywine here. This is more complex though, in addition to the hop character there is some vanilla, and possibly something that smells of butterscotch. Wow, taste is much different. Very sweet, along with the sweet malt there is the vanilla, and the butterscotch is much more pronounced. Much of the hop character is pushed to the background. There is a smoky character in the flavor too (where does that come from?). The mouth feel is slick, but this has just a medium drinakbility.

carln26, Apr 29, 2005
2.45/5  rDev -35.9%

Purchased a 4-pack of 12 oz. bottles. Copper colored with a small white head. The head does not last too long. When this beer was first poured I could barely get any aroma off of it. Slight oak aroma. The taste was not too pleasing. Oak? Maybe. Maple? No. Vanilla? No. Alcohol? YES. The alcohol in this beer is way too powerful and not masked enough. Despite this, it did not feel that bad on my mouth. This wasn't the worst beer I've ever had, but definitely not something I will be buying again. I am setting one bottle of this aside for cellaring. I can see this beer possibly improving with time so I will try an aged version in the future.

Jacobob10, Apr 24, 2005
4.6/5  rDev +20.4%

Immort Ale eased gently from the first half of the bottle persistant beading keep a building color and cap of fine "silent" bubbles just visble to the eye.

Pouring the second half after 20 minutes of sipping I obtained an 1 1/2 finger head that slowly fell back to the creamy collar and film of bubbles.

Rich and inviting malt character, luscious and complex. Intense maple aroma with alcoholic aroma well hidden for 11% ABV.

Late April birds sing and skinks and lizards scurry to compete for a meal of ants on the deck. This barleywine was made for winter days when all but the hearty go south or hibernate. This Dogfish head brew begs to join the rest of my barleywines in the cellar, but this bottle is open and with my work for the day done, I watch the cumulus clouds build and the temperature rise along with my blood alcohol.

Brewed with peat-smoked barley, this strong ale is brewed with organic juniper berry (that lingers as only juniper can), well hidden vanilla and maple syrup. Aged on oak for a smokey, charred taste and fermented with a blend of English & Belgian yeasts. Warming it gives up some alcoholic aroma with 11% ABV. 40 IBU its hops are purely complementary at this level.

Losing most of it chill haze, as it warms close to room temp. ~58°F this barleywine still beads strongly after 45 minutes in my well laced glass.

This years release date of April, 2005 marks Immort Ale's new annual release and we can now look for Immort Ale in it's new 4-packs every April.

From a 6-pack Dogfish Head Immort Ale of 12-ounce bottles, provided by Joe (do all son-in-law treat father-in-laws like this?)

karst, Apr 21, 2005

12 oz. brown bottle with packaged in date of 11.

Poured clear copper with a tiny white collar of head.

Alcohol lets you know what's happenin' right out front in the smell. Buttery toffee, molasses, hints of vanilla and oak. Honey, maybe.

Creamy, smooth caramel malts. Oak tannins are mild and pleasant. Alcohol is apparent, along with a white raisin and grape character. Slick mouthfeel with little carbonation.

That beer really reminds me of Samichlaus Dopplebock!?!? Maybe a bit thin and cloying, but great none the less.

Shultzerdugen, Apr 19, 2005
3.9/5  rDev +2.1%

This beer produces a 2-finger foamy head from an aggressive pour and comes out a clear reddish amber color with streams of bubbles emanating from the bottom. The aromas contained in this beer's perfume are of maple, with hints of vanilla and wine. My first taste elicited images of drinking a maple cured ham. Other flavors I detected were spicy, burnt and woody with vinous notes. This was a smooth beer a left a sort of stimulating spiciness about the mouth. While this wasn't a horrible beer I think it didn't help for me to have tasted this after trying Dogfish Head's Midas Touch. There was too much sweetness going on and I was a bit overwhelmed. I don't see how any one could drink more than one or two of these at a time.

tomthumbsblues, Apr 15, 2005
4.1/5  rDev +7.3%

Pours a light brown out of the bottle, and the thin white head quickly dissipates. Can definately smell sweet malts and alcohol on the nose. Hard to find any hops, but I am sure they are present. Wow, on first taste I am at a loss. Alcohol burn all the way down, but in a pleasant way. Plenty of alcohol taste as well. Silky smooth on the tongue, excluding the evident alcohol. Definately some slight hints of bourbon, both up front and in the aftertaste. If this beer does not have a bourbon aftertaste, then I need to rethink rating beers. Sweet oakiness is evident. I am having trouble describing this beer, as it is a style to which I am not frequently exposed (NC). Expensive, but well worth it.

Those other 4 I am aging are going to have to hide from me. Look forward to rating again after these have mellowed a bit.

12-22-06: The alcohols has been tempered considerably with time.

blackie, Apr 10, 2005
3.88/5  rDev +1.6%

Had this one in a bottle at Barcade during the American Beer Release Party.

My sample poured a nice amber/copper color, although the lighting was poor so I could not assess it properly.

The aroma was amazing; a mix of plums, cherries, and figs.

The taste was pretty well balanced, although a bit towards the malty end of the spectrum for my taste preferences.

The beer was medium to full-bodied, and was rather drinkable. One of the better beers from Dogfish.

Sixpoint, Apr 09, 2005
4.1/5  rDev +7.3%

2002 version, on tap at the BTAH, NYC, Vintage beer fest. This strong brew poured apricot, pale amber and very cloudy/murky. Just a very fine sheen for a head. The nose was funky, musty and vinious. This aged concoction was bursting with hardly mellowed flavor. Juniper, gin, vanilla, oaky,woody...complex, bracing and tasty. Fine stuff.

Billolick, Mar 25, 2005
3.5/5  rDev -8.4%

This beer pours a transparent bronze color with a small medium tan head that is kind of clumpy. Decent amount of lacing. Aroma is strong on the vanilla and oak characteristics with citric notes, mainly orange, as well and then some caramel. Taste is more alcoholic and syruppy. A layer of syrup seems to coat my mouth. Still has a creaminess to it which makes this a soft barleywine despite the noticeable alcohol and sweetness. There an underlying character of smoke and caramel sweetness and then a large acidic finish with a bitter hop bite in the end. Does not linger. The body seems to be a bit light, not as full as I want, and this barleywine just is not quite my cup of tea. It's good mind you but nothing special. Doesn't touch the JW Lee's I had last week.

Thanks to PartyHatjo for bottle!

granger10, Mar 16, 2005
4.38/5  rDev +14.7%

From an 11.2oz bottle packaged in "2". I can only assume they mean 2/2004 since I have had the bottle since October but I am only guessing.

Pours a cloudy golden brown with a thin tan head. Not alot of carbonation. No lace. Smells of vanilla and maple. Molasses and rich caramel. Oaky, woody and sweet.

Taste echos the aroma. Oaky, vanilla, maple, extremely rich caramel. Lightly smoky. Really sweet and malty. Definitely some dates and raisins in there. Reminiscent of cream sherry. Big, rich and sticky in the mouth. Not that drinkable, alot to get your head around but an astonishing beer, really surprisingly well done. The closest thing I can compare it to is a Thomas Hardy Harvest Ale. Maybe could have used another year of age on it but good nonetheles. Nicely crafted.

ViveLaChouffe, Feb 21, 2005