Immort Ale - Dogfish Head Brewery

Immort AleImmort Ale

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

English Strong Ale |  11.00% ABV

For this beer, we use maple syrup from Red Brook Farm -- Sam's family farm in Western Massachusetts, peat-smoked barley, juniper berries and vanilla.

Immort is fermented with a blend of English and Belgian yeasts, then aged in the big oak tanks at the brewery.

The sweet and earthy flavors meld magnificently in the Immort Ale. But be warned, the ABV is 11%, so after one or two you may start feeling immortal (even though we promise you won't be).

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-15-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Immort Ale Alström Bros
3.9/5  rDev +2.1%

This beer produces a 2-finger foamy head from an aggressive pour and comes out a clear reddish amber color with streams of bubbles emanating from the bottom. The aromas contained in this beer's perfume are of maple, with hints of vanilla and wine. My first taste elicited images of drinking a maple cured ham. Other flavors I detected were spicy, burnt and woody with vinous notes. This was a smooth beer a left a sort of stimulating spiciness about the mouth. While this wasn't a horrible beer I think it didn't help for me to have tasted this after trying Dogfish Head's Midas Touch. There was too much sweetness going on and I was a bit overwhelmed. I don't see how any one could drink more than one or two of these at a time.

tomthumbsblues, Apr 15, 2005
4.1/5  rDev +7.3%

Pours a light brown out of the bottle, and the thin white head quickly dissipates. Can definately smell sweet malts and alcohol on the nose. Hard to find any hops, but I am sure they are present. Wow, on first taste I am at a loss. Alcohol burn all the way down, but in a pleasant way. Plenty of alcohol taste as well. Silky smooth on the tongue, excluding the evident alcohol. Definately some slight hints of bourbon, both up front and in the aftertaste. If this beer does not have a bourbon aftertaste, then I need to rethink rating beers. Sweet oakiness is evident. I am having trouble describing this beer, as it is a style to which I am not frequently exposed (NC). Expensive, but well worth it.

Those other 4 I am aging are going to have to hide from me. Look forward to rating again after these have mellowed a bit.

12-22-06: The alcohols has been tempered considerably with time.

blackie, Apr 10, 2005
3.88/5  rDev +1.6%

Had this one in a bottle at Barcade during the American Beer Release Party.

My sample poured a nice amber/copper color, although the lighting was poor so I could not assess it properly.

The aroma was amazing; a mix of plums, cherries, and figs.

The taste was pretty well balanced, although a bit towards the malty end of the spectrum for my taste preferences.

The beer was medium to full-bodied, and was rather drinkable. One of the better beers from Dogfish.

Sixpoint, Apr 09, 2005
4.1/5  rDev +7.3%

2002 version, on tap at the BTAH, NYC, Vintage beer fest. This strong brew poured apricot, pale amber and very cloudy/murky. Just a very fine sheen for a head. The nose was funky, musty and vinious. This aged concoction was bursting with hardly mellowed flavor. Juniper, gin, vanilla, oaky,woody...complex, bracing and tasty. Fine stuff.

Billolick, Mar 25, 2005
3.5/5  rDev -8.4%

This beer pours a transparent bronze color with a small medium tan head that is kind of clumpy. Decent amount of lacing. Aroma is strong on the vanilla and oak characteristics with citric notes, mainly orange, as well and then some caramel. Taste is more alcoholic and syruppy. A layer of syrup seems to coat my mouth. Still has a creaminess to it which makes this a soft barleywine despite the noticeable alcohol and sweetness. There an underlying character of smoke and caramel sweetness and then a large acidic finish with a bitter hop bite in the end. Does not linger. The body seems to be a bit light, not as full as I want, and this barleywine just is not quite my cup of tea. It's good mind you but nothing special. Doesn't touch the JW Lee's I had last week.

Thanks to PartyHatjo for bottle!

granger10, Mar 16, 2005
4.38/5  rDev +14.7%

From an 11.2oz bottle packaged in "2". I can only assume they mean 2/2004 since I have had the bottle since October but I am only guessing.

Pours a cloudy golden brown with a thin tan head. Not alot of carbonation. No lace. Smells of vanilla and maple. Molasses and rich caramel. Oaky, woody and sweet.

Taste echos the aroma. Oaky, vanilla, maple, extremely rich caramel. Lightly smoky. Really sweet and malty. Definitely some dates and raisins in there. Reminiscent of cream sherry. Big, rich and sticky in the mouth. Not that drinkable, alot to get your head around but an astonishing beer, really surprisingly well done. The closest thing I can compare it to is a Thomas Hardy Harvest Ale. Maybe could have used another year of age on it but good nonetheles. Nicely crafted.

ViveLaChouffe, Feb 21, 2005
3.63/5  rDev -5%

12 fl. oz.
11% Alc. By Vol.
Packaged in "1"

Appearance – red with a touch of orange; headless horseman – very small presence then its gone; if someone didn’t know what I was drinking, give them 10 seconds and they’d think it was a sweet tea

Smell – caramel, apple, plum, alcohol

Taste – moderate dark fruits and alcohol; nice early malts; underlying caramel present throughout; a sharp hoppy, alcohol zip unravels mid to close…just a bit too much on the alcohol; small dose of metallic and smoke late

Mouthfeel & Drinkability – nice moderate to full mouthfeel; not as well-rounded as I’d like from an American barley wine

This one needs to settle down. I’ll give it a chance later.

Wonka, Feb 19, 2005
4.13/5  rDev +8.1%

Apperance: Rubarb and red apple in color. Head was minimal and so was retention. Color was light and tan. Leaves nice rings.

Nose: Sweet malt, wet leaves, a rain soaked forest, some fresh strawberry towards the end, caramel and vanilla. Perhaps some swiss cheese in the middle?

Taste: Creamy in the begining which fades of to a rusty, frothy coating of the mouth. Perfect level of carbonation. Pinches of bitter copper. Nice clean malt, mild alcohol, some slight pineapple and other tropical fruits.

Notes: It would be nice if it were a bit cheaper. I figure that could be said about all beer. I guess that could be said for anything. this was a very nice beer to try and it was put together very very well. I love how this beer handles itself, it is very composed.

Notes:

travolta, Feb 09, 2005
3.8/5  rDev -0.5%

Presentation: 12-oz. tall brown bottle. There's an emblem that looks like a cross-section of a snail shell with a calligraphic "X" in its center. Label reads as follows, "Vast in character, luscious and complex, this smooth, full-bodied ale reveals interwoven notes of maple, vanilla & oak."

Appearance: Brown to copper in color with some nearly crimson highlights. Off-white head fades to a relatively thick covering--tight-laced and remarkable holding power considering the intensity of the ABV. Ample carbonation.

Aroma: Doesn't quite smell like any barley wine I'm accustomed to. High alcohol on the nose, with an almost meaty note. There are maple syrup scents, vanilla extract, rum-soaked raisins/grapes, I'm searching for the oak but can't find it unless it's among the sappy aromatic elements--like the smell of strong cedar. Hints of peat & smoke as well. Also some bubblegum like flourishes. Hugely complex.

Taste: Wow... this is unique. Smoke/peat are striking and not expected, despite being in the nose. Slightly chalky, like a stiff dry porter, but that's where the comparison to that style ends. Dark fruity esters, spiciness from the hops, with alcohol evident (solvent-like), but still softly draped by a wonderful curtain of smooth, lush flavors that are tough to pin down. Some Belgian dark strong ale flavors (notably the yeasty aromas from such beers, most notably similar to Chimay Grande Reserve). Despite the strong flavors, there's a wonderfully unexpected rounded softness to this beer (not to mention considerable belly-warming). As it hits room temperature, barley wine flavors become more evident, and the meatier flavors reveal an associated saltiness.

Finish: Candy-like sweetness slips to dryish peat/smoke, then to bitter hops mingled with dark fruity tartness and acidity, slipping away toward subtle hints of oak (I think I'm getting the oak now...)

Miscellaneous: Sweet brew--one that's tough to categorize--quite nice, an unusual beer worth savoring.

AdvocateFan, Feb 09, 2005
3.18/5  rDev -16.8%

Once again, DFH pushes the envelope with one of the strangest tasting beers I've ever had. I don't know what to say about this one. It pours a beautiful deep, clear, cherry color with just a tiny ring. Carbonation appears to barely be happening. The smell of this thing is what threw me for a loop; nothing like any barleywine I've ever had... sour fruits, cidery, strange. It tastes nothing like it smells. It's extremely sweet with lots of vanilla flavors and some oakiness towards the finish. The other flavors, well, I just can't figure them out. Strangely complex stuff. It coats your mouth with a sweetness that you can suck from the insides of your cheeks after you swallow. The high ABV is disguised as well. I just don't know what else to say about it. It's interesting but I've certainly had better barleywines.

oxmasterscream, Jan 30, 2005
3.6/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served at just below room temperature in a brandy snifter.

Appearance: Tawny (like a port) with caramel hues. Carbonation resembling ginger ale. No discernible head at all. Nothing special in the look.

Smell: Wine. Alcohol. Sour notes like a turned cider or overripe fruit. Maple syrup. Malty esthers. I give it a bonus point for being interesting.

Taste: Immediate sharp bite - not sure if it's from the alcohol or the hops (or something else). Maple vanilla, honey, some alcohol. The varying flavors in this beer are either huge or subdued so much that they're lost in the mix. The finish is a battle between the acrid alcohol and the sour maple notes. Nice and warming after it's gone down. Reminds me of the taste of an over-yeasted meade I brewed a few years ago... This beer would (and should) probably mellow out after a year or two. The solvent tones are too overpowering to make this very good.

Mouthfeel: Syrupy to start but turning more watery as the carbonation dissapates. Nothing striking.

Drinkability: I may have been drinking a very young bottle of this ale, but I couldn't finish it in this instance. Too much sour and not enough sweet to keep me raising the glass to my lips.

Considering the $18.00 per six-pack that's commanded by my local distributor, I will probably never buy this beer again. Definitely not worth $3.00 a bottle when there are so many other fantastic beers for half the price.

TASTED AGAIN 11/26/2008 with a more mature palate:

Ah yes. The dessert after Thanksgiving dessert.

Served from a 12oz. bottle in my DFH snifter at just about cellar temperature.

A - Hazelnut brown with some light haze. Small, but creamy white head forms atop the beer -- stays for a few minutes, then evanesces. Lacing is very sparse, but a nice swirl reveals some nice, sticky legs like you might get from a good tawny port.

S - Massive, fruity candy-sugar maltiness smacking of fermenting pineapple and golden delicious apple. Obvious maple and vanillin from the oak. Dark, rum-soaked figs.

T - Sweet, peated maltiness with notes of campfire smoke. Alcohol warmth in the middle with some yeastiness and overripe fruit. Finish is fairly dry and spicy -- ginger? Lots going on... tough to put my finger on everything.

M - Tingly coming in, and a bit hot from the alcohol. Fluffs up to a massive froth that's strangely not gassy. Swallow is whipped creamy and voluminous.

D - A good after-dinner dessert beer that provides a nice array of flavors and depth of character. The alcohol doesn't seem to be able to be completely contained, but so long as it's enjoyed in moderation, that can be a good point. Another well-crafted offering from DFH.

Scores edited to average out reviews: A from 3.0 to 3.5. S from 3.5 to 4.0. T from 2.5 to 3.5. M from 3.0 to 3.5. D from 2.5 to 3.5.

EPseja, Jan 19, 2005

The oak barrel flavors of this beer are what speaks the most for me. Unlike many other beers that feature oak characteristics, this doesn't seem forced nor nurtured. It just is, and lets the subtlety do its own little work. As it warms, vanilla becomes more prevalent. When cold, it's almost undetectable. Now I can't ignore it. Hops are not a huge contributor to this. At least not in the traditional sense. BA classifies this as an American barleywine. I didn't find it to be that, exactly. I don't know what it is, but it's something. If I were to call it an old ale, which is what I probably would do, then i'd call it a damn good one. This beer has many delicate flavors, and the 11% ABV is well disguised. Mouthfeel is superb. I've got a hunch that this will age quite nicely, and perhaps the flavors will become more pronounced. Until the day comes when I uncap a older, wiser bottle of this, may it be told that I like this quite well. And so it goes.

GIVEMEBACKMYSON, Jan 01, 2005

thanks flemdawg for the bottle. poured a honey to copper color with a light tan head. aroma maple, vanilla, caramel, raisins, alcohol, malts hints of apple. wow almost like drink a port wine. I like the way the alcohol just comes right out there and says hello. the maple and vanilla are well balanced for me I am not a big fan of vanilla but this is good and thehints of raisins and apple at the finish is a nice touch I just hope dogfish will send this to Mich.

walleye, Dec 29, 2004
4.33/5  rDev +13.4%

12oz. bottle poured into a tulip-style glass. It pours a hazy reddish-orange color with two fingers of head. There is just a touch of lacing. The taste is big and malty. Sweet brown sugar and candied plums fill the nose. It smells like some wintertime treat. Just a hint of alcohol in there to give some warmth. The taste is also malty and sweet. More dark fruit like plum or dates, and a hint of ginger. A little bit of alcohol on the finish, and just the slightest bit of hops. A damn complex taste. The mouthfeel is super thick and heavy, just awesome. The drinkability is pretty good for an 11% brew as well. A perfect beer for this holiday season.

SheepNutz, Dec 10, 2004
2.88/5  rDev -24.6%

The brew poured a cloud caped sunset, with orange red and gold flecks. It was quite lovely, although the head dissipated quite a bit before leaving the lacy memory that decorated my glass. The beers aromas of oak, maple, and alcohol were intriguing. Unfortunately, the medium-full bodied brew seemed a bit insubstantial. Yes, it was high octane, but seemed closer to hard liquor than beer. While I can understand that madness at 20+% ABV, it didn't seem sensible for a barley wine. The young and sharp hop bite which slightly veiled the omnipresent alcohol tinge was my favorite bit. The brew was quite sugary with hints of maple and wood, but I didn't sense much contribution from the grain bill. The beer also coated my palate in an unpleasant fashion. Immort is not Sams Best, but I would still be interested in seeing if a few years made it more palatable.

AllThingsNinja, Dec 04, 2004
3.03/5  rDev -20.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

an attractive hazy orange-red color, with a rim of foam clinging to the glass. Smells very earthy and wooden, but also has a large presence of alcohol and phenols. The taste is very sweet, probably from the mape syrup. The hop assault peaks early, with little malt to fill in and round out the flavors. A lingering film of stickiness remains on the palate. Overall, This beer seemed rather transparent and didn't impress me as omuch as other members of the DFH line.

BlueEcho, Dec 03, 2004
4.3/5  rDev +12.6%

Pours a brilliantly clear ruby color that is topped by a thin, wispy tan head. This smells quite a bit like a fruit liquor, with notes of raisins and rum. Underneath that, but quite apparent are notes of smoky wood, oak and a hint of vanilla. As time passes the intermingling notes of smoke and wood come to dominate the aroma. The taste is sweet up front with a clear fruity note that is reminiscent of grapes, and perhaps some notes of cherries. The finish is long and complex and is where I start to notice the oak and a bit of the smokiness as well, I get a sort of tannic, slightly phenolic & a bit of astringency all mixed together in the finish. In the end the smoke ends up dominating the finish, fortunately it is not too strong & just dries out the palate enough that you want another sip.

This beer is quite interesting, I really like the complex interplay between the various components of this beer. I have to give it to Dogfish Head, this is one interesting beer, I must say that I really appreciate them stretching the definition of beer on a commercial level.

Gueuzedude, Nov 30, 2004
4.38/5  rDev +14.7%

Yet another highly anticipated DFH brew for me...sticky deep amber pour with a nice white head that leaves trails of lace behind on my glass. Strong sweet caramel with notes of pine, vanilla and dark fruitiness. Alcohol wafts into my nose as well.

This one is big....creamy sweet caramel rolls over my tongue mingling with hints of candied fruit, vanilla, and woody tones. A great brew to sip on a cold night. Piney hop biterness comes through on the back of the palate....well balanced with a slightly bready finish.

Mouthfeel is sinfully smooth and creamy...heavy on the palate. This is a brew that demands respect. Drinkability is good, however the high abv will make it hard to have more than a few of these. I got this as a single, but I look forward to grabbing a sixer to cellar. Recommended.

orbitalr0x, Nov 27, 2004
3.03/5  rDev -20.7%

Pours an opaque brown-amber, topped with a one finger, off-white head, leaves bits of lacing.
Fruity aroma, vanilla, wood, alcohol, malty with a maple syrup note.
Lots of vanilla in the taste, fruity and partially uncooked bread, wood, herb, pepper, maple syrup.
Full bodied, not very drinkable.

mschofield, Nov 26, 2004
3.98/5  rDev +4.2%

Pours a slightly hazy amber with only a slight head that eaves a ring around the edge of the glass. OK lace and poured almost syrup like. Smells of wonderful fruity malt. Apples, vanilla, somewhat spicy. all kinds of stuff going on here, not much alcohol though considering its 11%. Taste is just as complex as the smell. Thickishly malty sweet with immense fruityness followed by hop spicyness and leaves with alcohol on your tounge. Its mouthfeels is almost idemtical to its taste, I don't think you can describe one without using references to the other - as a good barlywine should be. Not a gulping beer, this is one to be enjoyed on a cold Indiana ( or where ever you are) evening such as this one. Just relax, sip and enjoy.

sabrills70, Nov 14, 2004
4.45/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Big beer which pours orange with a thin head that quickly turns into a ring, slightly hazy, not quite impressing visually. Aroma is deep, malty and very complex with huge fruitiness reminiscent of peaches, apricot and even prunes/plums. An easy 10 on the belgian-like aroma which I would basically almost wear as a perfume. The taste is also very malty with good balancing hops character preventing from being too sweet. Light and comfortable bitterness toward the end. Hints at vanilla and nutmeg, damn this is complex. The body is a little weak I found though for a beer of this magnitude it was rather thin although comfortable and very clean. Rich and full-flavoured, thanks a lot to Egajdzis! My favorite DFH, by far even.

Rastacouere, Oct 25, 2004
3.63/5  rDev -5%

Pours a pretty red/brown color with a white head that leaves quickly. Aroma is sweet caramel malt, fruity and candy like toffee touch of alcohol in the nose but not any vanilla that I can tell. Taste is sweet maple like malt with a mixture of caramel and toffee surgary candy flavor. Light fruit flavors towards the end with grape and plum prodominate and a dash of hops. Mouthfeel is a tad light for a barley wine @ 11% Drinkability is ok, but I don't see me buying this again as there are much better barley wines to be had.

mntlover, Oct 01, 2004
4.4/5  rDev +15.2%

Packages in 10/2002, so almost 2 years aging.

Brilliant orange with a deep red hue. Active body with bubbles rising abundantly at a decelerated pace up through the viscosity. Lots of alcohol mixed in with the fermenting sweet peaches and apricots. Big notes of raisins.

Taste, too, showed lots of strong fruits and alcohol, a combination of apricot booze and peach schnapps. I expected this to be much harsher on the intake from the smell and the 11%, but it's nothing but mellow and thickness going down. I want to say this beer is all mouthfeel, thick and voluptuous, but the taste is prominent also. Like a crumby graham cookie with an apricot center. Almost like that. Or apricot pie. Definitely a dessert--but mild in sweetness. A little bit of traction in the aftertaste. Hop character further develops, along with an emerging spiciness, as it warms.

Intoxicating. Great to drink in large gulps.

donnebaby, Sep 28, 2004
3.9/5  rDev +2.1%

DogFishHead is one of my favorite brewers but this is not my favorite brandywine. It is definitely worth buying and trying but not the top of the line that DFH usually shoots for. The beer pours a dark copper color with a small, short-lasting head. There was some moderate lacing.

There were hints of vanilla and spices (nutmeg and clove?), but there was too much alcohol-like aroma to make it really sing out. The taste was better with the spiciness coming through very stronly but with the sweet malt taste overwhelming the spices, followed by a hit of hops at the end.

It had a full-bodied feel in the mouth with a slightly acerbic afterfeel. At 11% ABV, this is not a session beer, yet I was looking for another bottle.

rdrummer, Sep 24, 2004
4.28/5  rDev +12%

Bottled 1/04.

Foamy off white head that quickly clears to the sides producing some thin and moderately strong lacing. Glowing auburn with a reddish tint.

A sweet toffee aroma with a deep cherry nose. Dark fruit (grapes, cherry, plum). A moderate alcohol smell like a cognac flavored aroma.

A very surprisingly sweet flavor. Toffee, vanilla, and caramel tones with a lot of honey flavors as well. Some dark fruit at the beginning of the sip but the sweetness takes over. Lighter in terms of hops than most american barleywines, and virtually no bitterness. Very mild. A surprisingly low alcohol presence given the 11%abv.

Syrup-like on the palate. Very smooth and mild mouthfeel. I don't think it's the ideal barleywine to keep you warm in the winter, but it would be perfect for a cool Fall night.

This is a good american barleywine to have a few more pints of. Easy drinking for the style and a very interesting taste. I need to pick up some more of these. Storing these for a couple of years may prove to be a very tasty treat.

NEhophead, Sep 02, 2004