Immort Ale - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

English Strong Ale |  11.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-15-2001

For this beer, we use maple syrup from Red Brook Farm -- Sam's family farm in Western Massachusetts, peat-smoked barley, juniper berries and vanilla.

Immort is fermented with a blend of English and Belgian yeasts, then aged in the big oak tanks at the brewery.

The sweet and earthy flavors meld magnificently in the Immort Ale. But be warned, the ABV is 11%, so after one or two you may start feeling immortal (even though we promise you won't be).

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Immort Ale Alström Bros
4.32/5  rDev +13.1%

The beer pours a cloudy amber color with a thin white lace head. The aroma is great. It has a nice vanilla and oakey scent that adds to the complex malt aroma. The taste is good. It has a rich malt palate with a sweet maple, vanilla aftertaste. It has a warm feel on the way down, but it drinks easy. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a flavorful beer with much complexity. Dogfish Head are brewing pioneers.

4.49/5  rDev +17.5%

Appearance: Cloudy meringue; brown with an orange tinge. Minimal head but greater than average carbonation.

Smell: Smells almost like a Belgian. Vinous and estery, with tons of sweet malt. Alcohol is noticeable, as is the yeast. I didn't detect even a hint of hops.

Taste: Initial jaw-clenching sweetness. Almost too sweet, but that's the only flavor flaw I found. Very round and full flavor profile, with the thick sweetness hitting up front. The middle is almost juicy, and is definitely mouthwatering. The finish is dry, estery, and slightly hot from the high alcohol level. I bet this would mature well, and allow the vanilla profile (which comes through more and more as the beer warms) to shine through. Very, very nicely done.

3.93/5  rDev +2.9%

Immort Ale pours a nice amber color with almost no head. Just wisps of foam remain after a minute or two in the glass.

Its smell is malty and sweet with some background complexities I can't describe. There isn't a powerful aroma. No hop notes.

My first thought on the taste: Wow. This ale's 11 percent ABV is quite prominent. The peat-smoked barley and oak aging -- details found on Dogfish Head's Web site -- give this ale a scotch-like quality. I can taste maple syrup notes along with other sweet flavors. I can't pull out the juniper berries in this ale like I could in Mt. Hood Brewing Co.'s Samhain Strong Ale. There are so many flavors in this complex ale, as Dogfish notes.

The body is good. It's actually a little lighter bodied that I would expect for an 11 percent beer.

Immort Ale is only the second brew from Dogfish Head I've had since it became available here in Florida. I can say I look forward to trying their other brews. Immort Ale is worth looking for, especially on a cold night.

3.82/5  rDev 0%

Now Quaffing: Dogfish Head ~ Immort Ale

Pours a thick, clear amber with a minimal head that fizzes away quickly. Aroma is sweet, with a quick whiff of oak when I first cracked the bottle. There is also a faint, but noticeable medicinal and / or spicy acoholic character to the aroma. The taste is sweet and the mouth is coated with flavors of ripe cherries, vanilla, maple syrup, and honey. The only hint of bitterness is in the aftertaste which is slightly dry (muscat grapes?). The mouthfeel is very smooth and thick, which enhances the flavors as they all tend to coat the mouth with each sip. Drinkability is as to be expected for an 11% ABV, definitely not a session beer.

4.29/5  rDev +12.3%

This little monster pours out like thick cherry syrup with no head, only some thin lacing of bubbles on the top and lots of bubbles sticking to sides of the chalice. Aroma is strong and of vanilla, fresh cut oak and maple syrup. Flavors match the aromas perfectly with a rich vanilla flavor followed by an oak barrel flavor and a maple syrup sweetness. Smooth and flavorful, not any hops to speak of but there is a nice malt backbone. Amazingly smooth and drinkable for 11% abv. Nice work Dogfish Head.

4.02/5  rDev +5.2%

Poured a cloudy reddish golden colour with almost no head but decent lacing. Very strong smell of caramel and smelled a bit like butter to me. Very strong taste....very. Everything about this beer is quite good. Appearance; looks inviting. Smell; smells wonderful, you can't wait to get into it. Taste and mouthfeel; both great. Drinkability however.... One of these is all I could really handle inside about 30 minutes or so. Quite powerful and very heavy. This stuff, if you pay attention and are looking for it, almost has a light syrupy texture. A wonderful brew that should most definately be enjoied in moderation.

4.06/5  rDev +6.3%

Presentation: Green label with blurb about the beer on a 12oz brown bottle. Major descriptor is "Vast in Character."

Hard pour reveals a dark ruby copper colour with a thin off white head and nice lacing.

Smells rich, complex, caramel sugars, maple, vanilla, ripe cherry, fragrant tones. Alcohol is warming and pleasant--not overdone.

Taste is sweet, syrupy malt flavor of maple and vanilla. Some pleasant peppery and bitter flavors on the back of the tongue.

A pleasant, complex ale that is very nice for sipping. Overall, an outstanding brew.

4.34/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A great tasting strong ale. Very high in alcohol but extremely easy to drink. It is very sweet with lots of malt evident. It has a hazy amber appearance and thin head, but the taste more than made up for it. It may not be my preferred style of beer but it sure cheered up a cold winter day.

4.68/5  rDev +22.5%

Bottled Dec 2003.The hop aroma of grapefruit and pineapple assualted me as I opened the bottle. It poured a light brown, just slightly hazy, with a fizzy, short-lived head like any barleywine. The taste is, how to say it... just like a heavy Belgian except that it's not a Belgian: "Thick," even "chewy" comes to mind. The maple is very apparent, with vanilla as kind of a backup. Only then did I notice the big toasted malt leaving its sticky mark on my lips. The fruity hop aroma doesn't translate in tasting, instead it just shows as a tingle on the tongue. The alcohol gives it a brandy character, and starts to make me lightheaded in the first few sips (Have to remember that this is not the strongest beer in DfH's arsenal, either). Exceptionally smooth. Then a slight taste of bubble gum toward the end.
And this is still a "raw" bottle. I got a second bottle, but may have to share it with the club so they can all get a better idea. Guess that means I should seek out more to celler for myself.

3.53/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Nice brown slightly amber orange color with very little head.

Smell: very sweet smelling, malty, and kind of fruity and light pleasant vanilla aroma

Taste: A little too sweet but has a great blend of flavors that is different on each taste. Not very bitter but slightly astrigent (has a bit of an alcohol taste at the end). There is also a nice maple syrupy taste as well.

Overall: a good beer, with lots of flavor and aroma. Worth checking out!

4.64/5  rDev +21.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Sampled from a 12oz bottle with Package In dates.

Appearance: Deep, clear ruby color with a very thin, wispy head and tiny streams of carbonation.

Smell: Complex array of barley, vanilla, lemon, charred oak, and peat. A bevy of scents fill the nasal cavity, I think a more discerning nose could further disect theses scents.

Taste: Wonderfully sweet and tangy, starting with roasted barley that leads to a lemon square sweet tanginess that gives way to a smooth, creamy vanilla cream and finishes with a cleansing of charred oak and hints of peat. Fantastic and a wonderful pair with a sweet desert.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth and creamy, while still finishing cleanly without any harsh tones.

Drinkability: Would be higher except for the alcohol is deceiving and a little too sweet for everyday consumption, but a true treat and a beer, or wine, lovers delight!

3.62/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Not one of Dogfish Head's more stellar offerings, but still pretty good. It poured a light cloudy amber, with a beige head that fades fast. Aroma of malt, maple, and vanilla. Tastes were malt, orange, vanilla, maple, banana. With an 11% ABV, this could stand to be cellared for a bit, as the flavors are not blended, but separate, jarring notes.

Mouthfeel was smooth, with light tangy carbonation. The finish was malt and lemon.

3.75/5  rDev -1.8%

Pours out a beautiful deep orange. Created a nice, 1 inch head which lasted for the first few sips. Complex aroma features some fruitiness, some maple and light oak, which holds true in flavor as well, although difficult to fully pin down. High alcohol level is not hidden in the medium body, but still easy to drink. Malt and oak become a much stronger factor as the beer warms up a bit. Good beer, but for me, there can be only one!

3.83/5  rDev +0.3%

This is yet another good beer from DFH. Pours a maple-y color with lacing but no real head. This smells strongly of alcohol but also of fruit. It's smell is reminiscent of a port. (Good beer smell not so good smell for port.) The taste is sweet and full of alcohol. There is more carbonation than I expected and it is a little thick in the mouth. I can't liken this mouthfeel to anything but it is pleasant. This is a very drinkable beer, the only drawback in my opinion is that the alcohol content is not masked much at all.

4.02/5  rDev +5.2%

Presentation: Sampled from a bottle cellared for about one year. Poured into a brandy sniffer.

Appearance: Pours a dark, hazy copper. Quickly receding, one finger head. Small amounts of lacing.

Smell: Astringent alcohol is immediately obvious. Strong presence of oak and maple, along with green raisins (or some other fruit?), small hint of vanilla. Nicely complex.

Taste: The smoked peat malt dominates the head, along with hints of oak. Syrupy sweetness from the maple and vanilla develops. The alcohol is much more subdued than in a fresh sample (where the beer is almost undrinkable), but still obviously present. Alcohol isn't overpowering though, especially given that it's an 11% beer. Small hop presence in the finish along with a little bit of spicyness. Nicely complex.

Mouthfeel: Slightly high carbonation and syrupy character combine for an interesting mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Hmmm. I bought a six pack of this and have tried it at six month intervals — a year seems like the minimum. Fresh, the alcohol dominates and the beer is extremely unpleasant. Right now it's an interesting sipping beer, although there's still a very strong, port-like alcohol flavor.

Another interesting beer from DFH, although one that certainly needs to be cellared. I'll let my last bottle go for another year and then update the review, but I imagine it will only get better. This is different from any of the other barleywines I've sampled, but certainly worth a try.

---

1/22/05 - Two year update: Sadly, this beer has become increasingly acidic with aging, perhaps due to a problem with the cellaring. The oak flavor is now predominant, bringing to mind some of the Rodenbach beers, while the mouthfeel has become essentially flat. One year seems to be the best point for cellaring Immort Ale.

3.64/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

I'm often overwhelmed by DFH offerings, and such is the case with this one. Pours a hazy amber, the color of iced tea, with no head but considerable lacing. Immense aromas hit the nose. Plums and lilacs begin the assault, followed by maple and vanilla syrup and a touch of smokiness. Alcohol is also picked up. Mouthfeel is exceptional. Tart and "melt in your mouth" kind of creamy chewy, but there is a slight alcohol bite. Taste is maple syrupy with a big hops presence. Hard hitting alcohol, but I didn't note the oak mentioned on the label. This is a very complex ale, as most DFHs are, but the complexities don't mask the big abv as well as their 120 Minute IPA, IMHO. Finishes bitter and syrupy. I think the Dogfish Head 120 Minute is a more well balanced and drinkable ale, even at nearly twice the abv. Still, this ale is an adventure.

2.33/5  rDev -39%

I'm a fan of this brewery; their creativity is usually delightful to my tastebuds. I can't find much to like in the Immort Ale however. Alcohol is present immediately, not only in the taste, but in the smell. I bought a six-pack last summer and cellared three until now (December.) The six months have not helped to mellow this beer significantly, I still find it unbalanced. Overwhelming floral, spicey, maple, vanilla presence in the nose and taste. I think Dogfishhead sometimes tries to pack too much into a beer, though they should be credited for challenging the norm. I would not want to drink more than one of these beers at a time. By no means a traditional Barleywine, if it can even be categorized as one.

$16 a six pack. I was entering new territory. Poured copper colored, with a good head (maybe I handled it too harsh?) I was prepared to tasteit. Maple, vanilla and malt. The brewer did a supurb job blending the three. Well balanced, but more of a "dessert" beer. Not the thing to have with pizza.

3.77/5  rDev -1.3%

Hazy golden orange with very little head. Aroma is sweet, maple syrup, apples and vanilla. Flavor is quite complex, the maple is there but also sour apples, sweet malt and champagne yeast. Very crisp and effervescent. Overall not my favorite in this style but still a decent product from a great brewery.

4.17/5  rDev +9.2%

DFH rarely dissapoints (IMHO) and this beer keeps the faith. Pours a reddish brown with a thin head (11% ABV!?!) that quickly dissapeared. The beer smelled more like a barleywine: alcohol and sugary sweet. The taste followed suit with sweet and dry thick malty flavors of vanilla, molasses & nutmeg. As the beer passed my gullet, I could barely notice the alcohol hidden in the background. (Though after polishing off two rather quickly, I can assure you it is there). The beer had a dry, crisp, nutty, spicey finish that makes for a great christmas beer for some adventurous, unsuspecting in-laws - I will test it out!

Another great offerring from DFH

4.31/5  rDev +12.8%

Oh my head! Guess I should've come to beer advocate first for the alcohol content on this one before I downed the whole six pack. What can I say? It was cold out and this tastes good! I've been working my way through the Dogfish brews to try them all and this has to be my favorite. I typically favor esb's, however this ale is strong enough to feed my fancy. Appearance is dark and chocolaty with scents of coffee, chocolate and vanilla. Goes down very easy and is a great dinner or dessert beer. It was 17 degrees last night and it vertainly kept me warm. Fans of vanilla or chocolate beers will definately enjoy this one.

4.83/5  rDev +26.4%

Very good and flavorful brew. Really enjoyable. I have had it on many occasions and it is still one of my favorites. Malty. Dark in color. Has some vanilla notes to it. Aged in a oak cask. Strong in alcohol content. THis is a beer that warms you up when its cold out. good beer to drink in the winter.

3.93/5  rDev +2.9%

Today I bought a fresh six. I drank a fresh one and later moved into my reserve to try one that was two years old. The fresh sample was dark gold and the aged sample was almost copper. The fresh sample was sweet and a little hoppy. The aged sample was sweet and moving into port tastes. I found the aged sample almost "English" and look forward to revisiting that vintage again next fall.
I think this beer is very "cellarable". It takes a long time to come together. The sample I was drinking that was aged was dated at 10.21.01 into my cellar. I believe I cellared it shortly after it was released.

02.24.08

I opened a 10. 03 edition. It is quite balanced and drinkable. The head is slight and sufficient. The sweetness is paired to bitterness with a slight tartness present to keep it interesting. It has a lingering effect on my taste buds. It's juicy. I regret it's my last one. I'll have to reload.

4.1/5  rDev +7.3%

This was a beautiful looking beer. The color was like a subdued sunrise. The head retention was poor and shrunk to a very thin layer of spots floating on top of the glass. The spots first shaped a wolf with big ears, then a giraffe and then it morphed into a hyena. Needless to say, there was no lace to speak of.

My nose was stuffed up last night so it was hard to pick out the aromas but I tried and succeeded. The nose captured some caramel, sugar, light fruits, wood and tons of alcohol. A nice nose.

Pretty flavorful brew as well. A slight smokiness hidden within this depths of this brew from the use of smoked barley. As well as some maple, vanilla and some light fruits. Alcohol was not very alarming considering it's 11%.

Very Impressed with Dogfish Head at this point!

4.19/5  rDev +9.7%

I pour the brew from a 12 oz bottle into my glass and notice only a very small head develops. The foam that is there is very creamy in appearance.
Color is a rich amber shade with a slightly red tint and with a faint haziness.
Aroma definitely gives off some alcohol scent and maybe some bourbony oaky scents as well.
First sip, wow this is a thick beer! I actually notice the heavy body of the brew prior to any flavors. Let me try that again. Mild carbonation and strong alcohol warming all the way down my throat. Very nice on a cold day like today.
The alcohol is strong in this brew and covers most of the other flavors in the beer. I get hints of vanilla and definitely strong malt sweetness. It leaves an interesting syrupy feeling on my gums that tastes very sweet. Also notice grainy wooden flavors almost like chewing on a toothpick for too long, but fits very nice in this beer.
The finish is similar to a dark red wine and leaves little in my mouth. Dont think I could have more than 2 or 3 of these and still appreciate any of the flavors. But I recommend it for winter nites in front of the fire place or after dinner.

This is an extremely complex brew and I am cellaring some that I will come back to in a year. It will be great to compare with these notes.

Immort Ale from Dogfish Head Brewery