90 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

90 Minute IPA90 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2001

Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute IPA "perhaps the best IPA in America." An imperial IPA best savored from a snifter, 90 Minute has a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate.

90 Minute IPA was the first beer we continuously hopped, allowing for a pungent -- but not crushing -- hop flavor.

to view more.
Ratings: 14,054 | Reviews: 3,785
3.66/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I'm probably not the person to review an IPA, because I typically avoid them like strippers named Mercedes... Nevertheless, this was a pretty decent beer and probably the first IPA I didn't feel like having to force down-- hell, I'd even drink it again...
Cheers!

4.7/5  rDev +9.8%

One of my favorite ipa's

4.3/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Not for the faint of heart my friends, this beer will certainly creep up on you! Rich in color and scents, bold and to some aggressive favors. All around a great purchase beer! Not so much in public given its toxicity!!!

4.6/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've had this amazing beer before but I hadn't had a chance to review it until now.

A - Beautiful deep orange color. Mostly clear with a big bright white head and great lacing.

S - Pungent hop fragrance with lots of citrus, grapefruit, pine, and resiny tones. Could smell it before I picked it up. Almost perfume like from the magnitude of aromatics.

T - Full flavored with a ton of hop character that has citrus, resin, pine, and grapefruit. Full bitterness but it is complimented by the hop candy like sweetness on the front of the tongue. The malt is lighter and only stands to compliment which is how I like my DIPAs. It is cleaner and more of the straightforward citrus/grapefruit character than some of the new DIPAs but overall great flavor.

M - Full mouth-feel with good carbonation. This beer has all the flavor but with higher carbonation and significant bitterness this one doesn't stick to the palate profusely.

Overall, a terrific DIPA. Great aroma, flavor, feel, appearance, but with some serious hop bitterness to go great with spicy foods. There are more tropical hop flavored beers out there but this one does the more traditional West Coast style perfectly. This brew is serious on the tongue and I would strongly recommend it to anyone that likes hops.

Glass- Tulip

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

I bought this at Bevmo and lucky for me. The four pack box says perhaps the best IPA in America. I agree.

4.57/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Had this the day after trying the 60 minute IPA. No comparison. Much more head on this one and the "malt backbone" gives it a sweet taste. Really sweet. I really like both the 60 and 90.....60 if you like more of hop/slight bitter taste, 90 for a sweeter, creamier, complex taste. Both great beers I will buy regularly. I think the sweetness makes this more of an introductory beer for those new to craft IPAs. One of the best beers I've had.

4.75/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

It'a damn good IPA. It has a little something different from most of the west-coast IPA's I'm used to, but it doesn't detract--just a little different.

4.56/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

San Francisco, CA - bottles

4.73/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is my go to IPA

4.39/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

*transferred from old noted - 12/28/2015*
Poured from tap into 10oz flute. Pleasant and mild aroma consisting mostly of hops and grass (maybe more floral than grassy) but I could pick up whiffs of citrus (orange mostly), and mild, buttery caramel. It pours sparkling golden-orange with nice finger-width, slightly off-white, head consisting of evenly sized small bubbles. This pour had the benefit of a glass which must?ve had etching on the bottom - there was a constant stream of carbonation feeding the head, giving it a presence throughout the drink (the flute has an etching on the bottom), and leaving a nice lacing around the glass by the end. Even in a plastic glass, the head retention is generous, creamy, and fluffy and has a lot of sheet lace. The taste is a balanced medium high, citrus bittersweet. It?s a nice, medium body, a bit sticky with a mild hop flavor lingering. The constant head gives it the benefit of being creamy and frothy throughout, but it doesn?t feel fizzy at all. It’s a medium body, a bit sticky, that’s creamy and thick but also smooth with flavors of bread toast, biscuit, and caramel with some citrus. There?s a reason Dogfish Head gets so much credit for their beers, and this is a shining example of how to make and Imperial IPA without over-doing any aspect of it.

I had this incredible brew recommended to me by a friend. I can not keep my mouth shut about how much I enjoyed this beer.

Best IPA I've tasted so far...very easily drinkable not overpowering, not too bitter IMO

3.58/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

It's good... I am not impressed. I might be stupid but when I drink it, all I can be reminded of is a Dubel or a Tripel. Literally all I am getting.

4.53/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

This is the gold standard for Craft IPAs in my book. It was my first beer I had when I turned 21 and it is still amoung my favourites. It has wonderful balance and I couldn't recommend this brew more, if you haven't tried any of Dogfish Heads brews I would say run to the store and pick some of this up, crack open a few and enjoy brewing perfection. Its just a good honest beer that is very drinkable and not overpowering in any way. This is how a Imperial IPA should taste in my opinion. 5/5
O.B.D91

4.75/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: Brilliant coper tinted gold under a 2” fluffy white foam collar that grips the side of the glass leaving line of lace.
S: Floral, spicy citrus nose with fruit and malt.
T: Starts with creamy malt and as the foam calms down fruit flavors emerge seasoned by big hop flavors.
M: Creamy, smooth fine soft medium to medium high carbonation, medium full body, slight warmth from the alcohol.
O: Big deliscious Imperial IPA with just the right balance between alcohol, malt, fruit and hop.

4.7/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Up there among the top of IPA's. Great beer!

4.48/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Deep orange color. Not a lot of hop aroma at first. Very malt forward DIPA. Well balanced at the end. Excellent beer.

3.25/5  rDev -24.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

(Draft; revisited) at Redcoats in Pleasanton. Spicy smell and first taste. Maltiness comes through on 2nd taste. Under-hopped for this style. Still a good beer though.

4.59/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

One of greatest go to craft beers in the world. Always smooth with a great nose, taste and finish.

4.94/5  rDev +15.4%

I've NEVER had any beer this good before!!! For me, everything about this beer was PERFECT! I had to go with 4.75 on "Smell" to leave room for discovering an unexpected and yet unknown beer... I've never claimed to have fallen in love with a beer before, but now, I have. Totally infatuated. :-)

3.04/5  rDev -29%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Bitter taste but has a nice smell

4.28/5  rDev 0%

$2.99 at the local Total Wine for the bottle. Bottled 2.5.15, drank on 3.31.15.

Pours a honey, translucent-amber. Smells like a delicious, malt-bombed IPA; grapefruit-citrus notes lightly splattered throughout. Tastes much the same with a solid malt/barely backbone and grapefruit notes that seem to piece through the tail-end. Clean finish of malty pith. Simply, the epitome of a well-balanced American DIPA, 90 ibus rarely go down this easily. DFH seems like they know what they're doing here...

Great with a sharp cheddar cheese.

What she said: "UGHCK.. this is really bad. Horrible." (She's not an IPA fan.)

3.92/5  rDev -8.4%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.
Aroma- Has a citrus aroma along with a whiff of alcohol.
Appearance- Pours a clear amber color with almost zero head.
Taste- Hops and malt with an alcohol bite.
Palate- A heavy bodied brew with mild carbonation. This beer has a very dry finish.
Overall- A really good beer but I didn't enjoy it enough to give it world class ratings.

4.35/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Nice copper look to it, the ABV is very evident but not excessive as the very present hops give it a nice balanced flavor. It actually has a smooth feel to it, which is a pleasant surprise. Overall in terms of flavor I am more of a fan of the 60 minute IPA but this is still a masterpiece of a beer from an elite microbrewery. I would love to get my hands on the 120 minute IPA, which is the granddaddy of them all in terms of ABV

4.32/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a tulip. A hazy orange-amber ale topped with an off-white one-finger head that has decent retention. Very good lacing, as to be expected from a heavily-hopped ale.

Aroma is sweet, citrus fruits, vanilla, garnished with a floral hop overtone. Not as pungent as many IPAs, though.

Flavors are rich fruits, banana, caramel malts, light, pastry-like breads up front. Grapefruit, lemon zest, and pine-y hop notes come in strong after, but the strength of the malt backbone keeps the 90 IBU bitterness from devastating the taste buds. Finish is fairly long and sweet/sour, accompanied by a noticeable alcohol warmth.

Mouthfeel is smooth and and not overly heavy. The body of this rather malt-heavy beer is offset by a fairly strong carbonation.

A well-known, well respected Imperial IPA who's reputation is well-deserved. The muscular malt character here does much to offset the strong hops. Many die-hard hop-heads may not appreciate this, as the result lacks the overwhelming blast of hop-bitterness that many other IPAs flaunt. Those who like a heavier beer and enjoy the malt aspect as well as the hops will find much to love here.

to view more.