2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

90 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

90 Minute IPA90 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute IPA "perhaps the best IPA in America." An imperial IPA best savored from a snifter, 90 Minute has a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate.

90 Minute IPA was the first beer we continuously hopped, allowing for a pungent -- but not crushing -- hop flavor.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2001)
View: Beers (138) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 90 Minute IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 10,483 | Reviews: 3,472 | Show All Ratings:
Jim_Benz

3.68/5  rDev -14%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I brought a four-pack home from Denver and was really looking forward to this beer. Unfortunately, I didn't enjoy it as much as I'd expected. But, for me, that's oftentimes the case with a DIPA--when they crank up the caramelly malt, it sends my diacetyl sensers into overdrive, and the beer ends up tasting green. But that's just me; I don't care for strong caramel flavors in beer. Anyway, here's my overall impression:

A: Beautiful, clear orange/amber coloring with a nice white head that leaves a ring and patchy covering all the way to the last sip. Very inviting.

S: Sweet and grassy. Minimal citrus, lots of malt.

T: If I ignore the powerful caramel malt flavors, I still find myself wishing for a little more kick from the hops. What I pick up instead is a little grassiness (which I like) but not much spice or citrus, let alone serious bitterness (which I doubly like). It's not a hop bomb, by any means, more of a hop-enhanced malt bomb that focuses on flavors I don't care for. However, in judging this beer, I know the malt flavors are spot on for what many people like--think Deschutes Immersion IPA (not a double, but certainly a malt forward IPA) and you'll know what I mean. In the end, it's just too sweet and caramelly for my taste. That shouldn't necessarily be the defining characteristic when I rate this beer--it's just my particular taste--but still ...

M: Perfect carbonation (it helps cut the caramel) but a little sticky and sweet, which is also the predominant aftertaste, along with a little grass from the hops. Medium bodied, I guess, mostly due to the sweet caramel. Nothing special.

O: Not my cup of tea, but probably pretty good for the style, or so I hear. I'll try another in a few days and see what I think then. In the meantime, maybe I'll go buy a six-pack of Two-Hearted Ale.

04-18-2014 15:28:41 | More by Jim_Benz
shacawgo24

4.94/5  rDev +15.4%

A-Copper/dark amber with glossy orange edges. Brighter body in light, glossier edging. Off-white two finger head is creamy and bubbly. When head flattens it becomes a sizzling silver starry bubbly top layer. Head is impenetrable, you won't see the body from top view, even to the last drop. Your last sip will be slow sliding foam. A bit dull and dirty-murky when not held in light the body is. But it does scrub up like a new penny in light.

S-Oranges and lemons. Hoppy. Fresh. Brown bread. Bran. Caramel malts. Toffee hiding in there. Booze a la dark bourbon. Sniffing some more, grains are inhaled. Honey. Burnt sugar. Soy sauce and sweet whiskey on warming. Any beer that can make me smell those many things, (while smell may not put me in a dream state) it makes me think, decipher and appreciate.

T-Caramel malt & orange/lemon citrus upfront. Then those classic 90 minute hops come in. Dark bready, sweet, piney and citrusy all in one. Pineapple too. With the sip all these flavors are in harmony, one taste seems to dominate then another jet blasts in allowing you to choose and focus on a set flavor. So much going on but controlled and contained. On warming a salty-sweet flavor kicks in like a dark ginger/plum sauce and/or 120 Minute IPA super cheesy-sour/sweet notes.

M-Perfect mediums of body and carbonation. Starts sweet & alkaline sour like a grapefruit, airs of pine in the middle blows into a drying yet oily hop finish. Pine in the after with hints of resin leave the tongue comfortably numb. But if improvement can be made to this beer it's in the feel. It should be thicker on the onset. It waters down on a maybe average/probably below average rate. This Double IPA should have better body retention. And carbonation a tad higher and longer lasting as well. Even more sizzle, more HOPS! 90 Minute feels like a regular IPA, like 60 Minute almost. It should have a Herculean body that stands up even on it's last legs. What should be a DIPA is really an Extra IPA.

O-90 Minute was the first craft beer I had that made me think and say, "this is the best beer I have ever had". A great springboard to discover even better craft out in the world. You will return to 90 Minute always even if you master your palate. It's bold, flavorful and versatile in all departments of palate. It can benefit from tweaking, mainly in feel. But the smell and taste are perfect. If 90 Minute had the robust, thick, sizzling feel of say Dogfish Head-Palo Santo Marron, it would be unbeatable. 90 Minute looks and tastes dark. It could be a new beer style, a Brown American Double/Imperial IPA.

04-15-2014 09:59:52 | More by shacawgo24
Murph-Dawg

4.4/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Another great beer by Dogfish Head!!!!

Good bold flavor, full taste, not overly hoppy which I typically enjoy, but a strong bold flavor that satisfies with each sip.

I will have this again, I tend to rate beers by whether I would buy again and I certainly buy this again.

Has anyone ever tried this as a keg? I am considering getting a keg for a annual pig roast I do.

04-12-2014 23:33:16 | More by Murph-Dawg
ONUMello

4.26/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12oz bottle bottled 2/27/14 poured into a DFH IPA glass
A: Light orange with a 3-finger head that lingers forever
S: Roasted malt, florals, hints of citrus, tropical fruit and florals
T: Matches the nose. More malt than hops, which is not as I recalled, but as a result is amazingly balanced
M: Medium-bodied, incredibly balanced, the 9% never comes through. Goes down way too easily
O: After all the super hoppy beers I've had recently (it's been a while since I've had a 90 minute) I'm surprised how much the malt shows through here, given it was one of the founders of the DIPA style. Still a very well made, very balanced & tasty beer

04-12-2014 21:44:17 | More by ONUMello
ChristopherWIU-UTPA

4.56/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I drank my first Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA back in March of 2010 in Miami, Florida and it was awesome. It hits the taste buds with that strong imperial IPA taste and the 9.0% alcohol (ABV) gives it that hard edge and wakes you up (or puts you to sleep if you drink too many). It pours darkish, with a reddish amber tint, finger sized tan head, and some carbonation. The main taste is bitter, with hoppy, caramel, fruity, and sweet. It finishes dry and leaves fruit like aftertaste. It is very filling. This is an awesome beer.

04-10-2014 16:09:54 | More by ChristopherWIU-UTPA
nodder

4.3/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A- Amber and clear. Decent head and lacing.

S- Pine, citrus, sweet malts.

T- Very malty for an IPA. I like it. The hops are there, no doubt. Just very balanced.

M- Medium mouthfeel. A slight alcohol presence, but this goes down very smooth.

O- My 1st time trying this classic. It wont be the last.

04-09-2014 23:17:32 | More by nodder
Jennz906

4.44/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A - Clear light amber color. 1 finger head, cloudy and active carbonation.

S - Almost like a sweet citrus, maybe lemon peel or even grapefruit. With a hint of caramel.

T - Sweet and malty with a lemon zest. Defiantly not as bitter as I expected, it's perfectly balanced.

M - very nice, Medium and surprising. A bit heavy. Alcohol is noticeable but still very smooth

O - A somewhat heavy and filling drink, especially for an IPA. Smell and taste are very Very enjoyable and perfectly balanced beer!

04-09-2014 02:35:01 | More by Jennz906
hoffhin2

4.43/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Amber, orange, good amount of head
Smell: Very hoppy aroma, floral, grass, strong malt smell
Taste: Rich in flavor, chocolate, toffee/caramel, with a good balance, and well carbonated
Overall: Great IPA, one of my family's favorites. Great malt presence.

Poured into pint.

04-07-2014 16:00:29 | More by hoffhin2
RoamingGnome

Wisconsin

4.25/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Dogfish Head 90 Minute Imperial IPA

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a stemmed tulip. Served chilled.

A) Nice golden amber with a finger of foamy head. Good clarity and ample bubble trails. Nice retention on the head.

S) Lighter malt, fresh egg bread, faint tropical fruits, and a little whiff of alcohol.

T) This is bready, a bit of yeast. Not a hop bomb at all. It is mellow and well balanced. A hint of grass and a little fruitiness. A little alcohol too... A bit more noticeable with some warmth.

M) Full bodied with moderate carbonation. A little oily, slick and coating. Semi-dry finish with some warmth.

O) A very nice beer.... Not what I expected. Easy drinking... Beware, the 9% ABV could sneak up on you.

04-03-2014 23:39:09 | More by RoamingGnome
fscottkey

3.76/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

A: Aggressive pour produced 4 fingers of head. The head is frothy and white. It lasts for quite a long time and recedes with heavy lacing. The beer is a carmel/amber color.

S: I get apple and hops.

T: Taste is light and fruity on the tongue. Floral tastes are present. No lingering aftertaste.

M: Smooth and clean. Carbonation is low.

O: Not to bitter. Easy drinking. This is not my favorite DIPA. It is a little understated. I like more hop up front.

04-03-2014 01:13:12 | More by fscottkey
EvoRich

4.7/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

This is the very first IPA I've ever had. And to this day, remains the best readily available IPA I've ever had. I'm not big on IPA's Most I've had are too dry, and too bitter. But this has a good balance of sweetness.

Appearance: More red, and darker than most typical IPA's. Nice foamy head when poured correctly

Smell: Piney, hoppy, citrus, sweetness

Taste: Not as bitter as most IPA's I've tried (which to me is a bonus), but still enough to know you're drinking and IPA. A nice citrus sweetness to go along with the hops is a nice balance.

Mouthfeel: Very carbonated, Medium bodied.

Overall: Very easy drinking beer. As much as I love the seasonal's, and rotating beers for their exclusiveness, Having a good beer like this to go to when you can't decide is great. Best overall IPA there is in my opinion.

04-02-2014 02:49:08 | More by EvoRich
BigMurph

4.88/5  rDev +14%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A) nice, beautiful.

S) Awesome I just want to dive into the glass. Citrusy, caramel deliciousness!

M) Hops coat the tongue at first then the Malts come in and coat the palate with the caramel and roasty flavors. Alcohol is present on tongue and palate from start to finish. Aftertaste is warm, sweet and malty.

T) great blend of hops and caramel malt. Awesome, my favorite beer.

Serving type: bottle poured into pint glass

03-28-2014 22:16:22 | More by BigMurph
Seanem44

4.69/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: Clean, deep bronze copper appearance. Thin white head that leaves a light lacing.

S: Citrus fruits and malt. Dank hops as well. A very inviting smell.

T: It tastes great. Bold hops and a malty taste. No hints of alcohol. This IPA is very alive.

M: It is interesting. It has a malty taste. It is very interesting going down. I really can’t describe it, but it’s almost like a burning feel, but a good one. I can only imagine that is the malt riding down with the hops. Maybe it’s the 9.0 being masked by everything else. It hits the palate in the right ways.

O: This is a great tasting IPA that is very easy to find here on the east coast. I would say that at $9.99 for a four pack, it is very well priced. I was drinking these back and forth with Hopslam, and to be honest, I think 90 minute IPA bests it. It is a phenomenal IPA made by a very phenomenal brewery. Can’t say enough about their line of products. This is a beer that lives up to its name.

03-27-2014 13:34:19 | More by Seanem44
silverblaze540

4.33/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A - Clear light amber color. 1 finger head, which lingers for a minute or so. Minimal lacing and active carbonation.

S - Sweet citrus; grapefruit and lemon peel.

T - Sweet and malty with a lemon zest. Mild bitter aftertaste.

M - Medium and maybe even, surprising, a bit heavy. Alcohol burn is noticeable.

O - A somewhat heavy and filling drink, especially for an IPA. Smell and taste are very pleasant without the strong bitter aftertaste. Very enjoyable.

03-25-2014 03:07:06 | More by silverblaze540
RumDude

Connecticut

look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A: Deep amber. Just what it should look like, given the taste. I don't know what would make it better looking so it's got to be a 5.

N: Worst thing about this beer but still outstanding. Although it was malty and caramel/sweet with light hops, it was not as intense as I would have expected. Still fine, however.

T: Somewhat sweet and mellow malt with a perfectly balanced hop undertone. Not exactly what you would expect in an IPA but it is what I like. If there is any hint of alcohol, it is just about perfectly balanced to the taste. Did I mention it was mellow? Wow.

F: Consistent with taste and long. As it fades you can better make out the hops and they are mellowed as well. Begs for another taste.

Coming clean on this one. It was two years old. I am surely going to keep some in the aging room (garage) to enjoy periodically.

03-23-2014 22:57:35 | More by RumDude
Soncheebs

look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: Beautiful thick toned copper/medium amber, with a dense off white, 1 and 1/2" head that holds strong.
Smell: Grapefruit, Fig, Citrus...very fruity and also very spicy/piney at the same time. Can also definitely smell the alcohol content on this one.
Taste: Very aggressive hops from the start, sweet with grapefruit/fig/brandy, hops and spice finish strong with a piney/spicy/ very hoppy aftertaste.
Mouthfeel: Phenomenal thickness, almost syrupy, well built with moderate (i think perfect) amount of carbonation.
Overall: Will always hold a place in my heart as the IPA that started it all for me. I really feel there isn't another massively available IPA out there that is better than this one. Truly Dogfish's masterpiece.

03-22-2014 19:45:46 | More by Soncheebs
symbian

4.45/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

One of my regulars. This is the one that got me into BIG IPAs. Deserves respect IMO

Drinks well.

A: Beautiful clear rich copper-amber body. Foamy light beige head with great lacing and retention.

S: Bread and toffee flavors dominate the nose.

T: Carmel malts, as well as grapefruit hops, some raisin and green apple flavors as well.

M: Full syrupy mouthfeel with slight hop zing on the back end. Sweet coating on the teeth and gums well after my final sip.

O: The beer was bottled exactly three months ago from the date I reviewed it.I found this to be both an amazing beer as well as an amazing example of the style. If I find this beer fresh I will defiantly revisit it as Im curious to see how the flavors morph. However as it stands now if I had to drink one IPA for the rest of my life, this would be it.

03-13-2014 16:46:48 | More by symbian
DagenhamDavis

4.61/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Single 12 oz bottle dated January 7th of the current year, making it just about 2 months old. My first try at the style, but I've been jumping on the hop wagon more and more so I thought I'd really take a dive.

Pours a clear amber with a one finger foamy white head. Smells delicious, hops and lots of them. Not intense at all however.

Decided to let this one warm up a bit to bring more of the flavors. And boy is there flavor. Strong hop aroma enters my nose as I drink. Look, it's an imperial IPA. It's hoppy. It's intense. But it's so well balanced and surprisingly smooth. Mouthfeel is creamy and pretty full.

Boy, I like this beer. Leaving me wanting more, but at 9% I'd better tread lightly. Looking forward to trying more from the folks in Delaware.

03-10-2014 03:56:11 | More by DagenhamDavis
GOBLIN

4.35/5  rDev +1.6%

Dogfish Head 90 minute

DFH

Poured into pint glass

A: Copper along with an orange glow. Solid lookin' ipa with tiny bubbles floating to the top

S: Smell is nice but not many hops on the nose. Coffee, barley, malts, caramel and maybe some cocoa . . . Strange for an ipa

T: Darn tasty ! Hop bitterness is up front and finishes with caramel, barley and malts close behind . . . man this is a tasty brew

M: Creamy and smooth amount of carbination

O: One of most well balanced ipa's out there. Not too often I don't pick up on any of the typical citrus/tropical fruit usually associated with ipa's. A good, solid all around well done beer.

03-08-2014 04:19:11 | More by GOBLIN
mverity

3.9/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Bottle from Proof. Pours a coppery-gold-orange. Head was off white but faded under a minute. Good legs and lacing is decent. Collar has large bubbles and very small bubbles that hold together for a medium thickness. Wisps hold throughout. Aroma is resiny and toasty malt, a touch of citrus as well. Taste is that big malt backbone with the hops playing a much smaller role than I remember. I definitely haven't had this beer in a few years, and my palate has changed considerably. I get some of the resin and citrus in the palate, but it's mostly a caramel malt sweetness. Mouthfeel is sticky sugar-like, medium body, medium-high carbonation. Slightly boozey.

03-04-2014 22:21:16 | More by mverity
GinjaSlice

Connecticut

3.93/5  rDev -8.2%

A: great bronze color with awesome clarity, nice thin lacing
S: little bit of citrus with a sweet malt smell
T: Just like the smell at fist you get a little citrus and hops but it's quickly covered by a sweet malt taste with a funky taste that lingers on the tongue. Can't taste any alcohol. Its a good beer just wanted some more hops out of a dipa
M: medium feel and maybe a little more carbonation

Not my favorite dipa but very different

03-04-2014 19:39:41 | More by GinjaSlice
dpgoblejr

New Hampshire

4.98/5  rDev +16.4%

12 oz bottle poured into snifter glass.
Brewed date 9/6/2013; enjoyed 3/08/2014
Clear orange/copper colored brew with light carbonation and white head that left slight lacing along the entire glass. Smells of sweet fresh hops, citrus, pine, and possibly caramel. Tastes of sweet malts, slight caramel, a hint of bitter hops; but yet completely smooth and indulgent. Light, creamy, and full bodied mouthfeel. Extremely well-balanced, complex, DIPA that cannot be ignored. Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA is my recommended all-time favorite Imperial IPA. Enjoy; quite possibly the finest of beers!

03-04-2014 01:38:07 | More by dpgoblejr
Beer4B

4.59/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: very nice appearance with nice head.

S: smelled like sweet caramelized goodness to me.

T: was a big shock how good and smooth this was after thinking the 60 minute was "ok". One of the best surprises from a "larger" brewer that I've had.

M: Malty and creaminess blended wonderfully with hops.

O: I could make a meal out of this beer. I will be grabbing growlers of it when I see it and hope the bottles of it aren't a let down.

Serving type: growler

03-03-2014 16:35:08 | More by Beer4B
ThePaintedGrey

4.61/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz. bottle poured into pint glass—waiting on my IPA glass to arrive in the mail...

A: A hazy copper/deep amber hue. Two-and-a-half finger Dover White (for all you painters out there) head sits majestically atop the brew, taking its sweet ole' time to deflate. The head doesn't deflate much, finally settles down at about cool 1 inch in stature. Glorious lacing left everywhere the head once touched. Head kinda dies in the last half of the glass, unfortunately, but the lacing left behind is too impressive to truly deduct points.

S: Kind of like dipping your nose directly into the barrel of fresh hops. Grapefruit citrus, light scents of freshly fallen pine needles. The overall citric profile rests upon a light caramel malt backbone. The nose here is intricate, lively, and one of the freshest aromas I've ever had the privilege to sniff.

T: Floral and piney hops are the front runner in the flavor, followed by a balancing rush of caramel malt, nice and toasted around the edges. Finishes with another fantastic tidal wave of hop bitterness. The aftertaste is of toasted malts, light bitterness, and a pinch of spice from the alcohol.

M: Full-bodied, borderline huge. Thick and malty and as smooth as glass. Lightly creamy texture, good carbonation. Lots of warming properties from the alcohol.

O: In a world full of DIPAs, DFH 90 Minute sits amongst royalty. I've had this brew before in restaurants and I recall enjoying it, but this is my first experience with it in the comfort of my own home where I can bask in its absolute complex perfection. I don't usually toss around statements like that, but you'd be hard-pressed to find a single flaw in this brew. Stupendous, and one of my top 5 brews for sure.

03-02-2014 19:37:41 | More by ThePaintedGrey
Oakengroves

Oregon

3.66/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

A balanced IPA with somewhat excessive malt and spice on the rear end. Not a typical "fresh" hoppy west coast IPA. Tasty and very drinkable. A quality product but not likely to purchase again due to subject preferences for more clean, fresh hop tastes.

03-02-2014 19:31:47 | More by Oakengroves