Join our email list →

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States | website

American Double / Imperial IPA | 9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2001

Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute IPA "perhaps the best IPA in America." An imperial IPA best savored from a snifter, 90 Minute has a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate.

90 Minute IPA was the first beer we continuously hopped, allowing for a pungent -- but not crushing -- hop flavor.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 90 Minute IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,775 | Hads: 14,884
3.1/5  rDev -26.9%

I expected more hop flavor from this beer. Like others, I don't understand the hype. This is a very well balanced beer and is of high quality, no doubt about that. However, it did not leave me wanting another.

3.63/5  rDev -14.4%

Amazing how far we've come.... What was supposed to be a top notch IIPA is now in my opinion middle of the road at best. Zero hop aroma or flavor and a total malt bomb. Alcohol isn't well hidden. Smooth and decent mouthfeel but so far from what a decent IIPA is nowadays.

4.04/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

L: transparent dark gold, thin white head
S: fruity, mostly citrus but more than that, possibly pine smell?
T: good bitter citrus taste, earthy, hops
F: pretty light, but heavily carbonated

Interesting IPA but a very good one. I'll be having this one again.

4.68/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

The mike drop for me in terms of IPAs. The first beer that made me think "Holy Shit!!!" It is the one I go to if I see it on draft, the one I recommend to people if they want to try something out of their comfort zone. Hoppy yet smooth. Bitter yet drinkable. And a nice feeling afterwards. Best with some fish and chips on a saturday afternoon watching some EPL.

4.28/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery - 90 Minute IPA. 9% ABV. 12oz bottle poured into snifter.

Look: Pours and settles a crystal clear orange color, with a thin amount of white lacing, resulting from non aggressive pour.

Smell: A lot of juicy tropical fruits up front, consisting of mangoes, and grapefruit, along with some strong notes of earth, and resiny pine along with the bitter hops.

Feel: Insanely light body, almost like air, and has a heavy amount of carbonation.

Taste: Actually seems like the opposite of the aroma. Very profound taste of the earthy resiny pine, along with some hop bitterness up front. About midway through, the juicy fruits appear, and blend into the aftertaste, along with one more bitter hop bite.

Overall: I usually steer away from the bitter beers, but do enjoy them sometimes, and I prefer the fruitier ones over the piney ones. This one seemed to be both at the same time, between the aroma and taste, along with the lightest mouthfeel of any beer I've had.

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

in the world of hop laden, tropical and citrus fruit forward IPAs (I love those), 90 mins comes out as a wallflower. rich malty character balanced with the hops. its a treat of its own kind.

4.04/5  rDev -4.7%

This beer pours a clear amber orange with a fluffy one finger off white head with fantastic retention that leaves nice thick webbed sheets of lacing. Smell is bready malts with earthy, citrus and piney hops. Taste is the same with a nice bite of the bitterness, very balanced. Feel is medium with excellent carbination. The beer almost tickles your tongue. Overall a very good beer that I much prefer to 60 min. I can see how 10 years ago this could have been the best IPA in america, but as with the current trend, I'd prefer a hop bomb to balance.

4.29/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A crystal clear look of copper color with a ring of head around the glass that lingers in the glass.

A biscuity note in the aroma along with a sense of sweetness, accompanying the solid hop nose that has an earthly character.

Initial taste is of caramel sweetness, followed by some mild bitterness and earthy hop flavors, rounded out by a distinct, yet moderate level of booziness.

The feel is above average with a nice carbonation level that seems to have a more delayed release, with minimal head on initial pour, but a good frothy mouth feel as it foams in the mouth.

Overall: This is a very good, malt-forward version of a double IPA, and a good break from the more common, bright and citrusy DIPAs that are hitting the market these days. The 90 min IPA has a good balance of flavors that leans a bit more in the malty caramel direction than a hop bomb.

Great beer.

3.26/5  rDev -23.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I was certainly disappointed and I feel this beer did not live up to its hype. A great pour, but the smell is a very musty, strange scent. It tastes like it had sat on the shelf too long perhaps, but I asked the store and they said it came in last week. Almost no "hoppy" taste whatsoever. It didn't taste bad, just not even close to what I was expecting.

3.29/5  rDev -22.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Used to be one of my favorite beers years ago but now I think it sits on shelves too long and the result is a super malty taste: sweet fruit, apricot, brown sugar. So little hop flavor. I buy this every once in a while hoping it will taste like it did 10 years ago, but it's barely recognizable as an IPA. I love malty IPAs but this is a mess.

2.33/5  rDev -45%

Cracked a new bottle open tonight.

There is a musty, raisiny, unidentifiable funk, almost like wet rug. There is so much hype surrounding this beer, but I don't get it. I'm not one of those people that thinks increasing the quantity of ingredients and boil time is the best route for IPAs.

60 minute is a simple, restrained, yet in your face aromatic IPA, and is much better than this.

Quantity does not equal quality, in any way.

4.23/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance - More amber than gold even reddish. Thick head. Very good retention.
Aroma - Earthy tone predominant. Lots of hops. Slightly Piny.
Taste - It's a lot to take in. Earthy. Very very malty. hoppy. citrus. raisins. caramel. raisins. malty.
Aftertaste - more carbonation than expected. still smooth on the lips though. pleasant maltiness on the tongue

4.44/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

How can a beer possibly be this amazing? By far the best beer I have had in a long time. It is incredibly smooth for the IBU and ABV. I would recommend this to anyone who is looking for a great fall beer and is tired of the boring Oktoberfest varieties.

4.2/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Lives up to its reputation as one of the best double IPAs.. Nothing too impressive to look or sniff at, but it drinks great - really smooth and sweet with tons of clean hop flavor

4.38/5  rDev +3.3%

so clean, crisp and not heavy. A great bite and smooth finish. The 90 IBUs and hops hit just right. With a lot of IPA I get get citrus, pine, etc. here it's almost like a clean hop-focused taste and pine hints are an after taste my brain barely picks up in.

3.79/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

**FROM OLD NOTES, 08/04/12:
Fruity Nose. Strong beer with a light feel. Hops, Citrus.Impressive persistent carbonation. Poured from a bottle into a Pilsner glass at Barclay Prime, Philadelphia. Great start to a great meal. **

4.61/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

An absolutely incredible IPA.

A: It looks about perfect. 12 oz. Bottle poured into 16 oz. widemouth mason jar. Instinctive pour produces a nice off-white/nearly beige head. Lacing sticks to the glass--along with a half finger head. Superb on appearance.

S: Smells even better--Bubblegum with a malt background.

T: The malt presence here is what balances the beer to world-class standard. The flavour on this beer is unique and ultimately one of the best IPA's on the market. Maybe I'm alone on the malt-bubblegum profile, but that's what I'm noticing. The most quenching IPA I've had.

F: Balanced while complex. Smooth with a sustain rigor to the beer all throughout. The feel to this beer is what really brings it all together as a world-class IPA.

O: It seems that most craft breweries aim to have the backbone of their business be a solid IPA. For some reason, IPA's dominate the craft beer market. Don't get me wrong--I love IPA beer. But a lot of times what ends up happening is you get this hop override or a misguided malt presence. Dogfish 90 Minute is not only a contender--it might be the best IPA on earth.

3.99/5  rDev -5.9%

In a world filled with IPA's and DIPA's and as breweries who brew too much of this style and don't do it right end up closing, what DIPA has stood the test of time. Yup, you got it. This one.
Poured into a tulip, the appearance was a hazy burnt orange color with a one finger white foamy head that dissipated immediately. Light stringy lacing.
The smell had sweet orange, bitter citrus rind, and a light amount of grapefruit. Caramel malts play with the balance.
The taste was bittersweet all of the way through. Lingering caramel to citrus aftertaste with a semi-dry finish.
The mouthfeel was about medium bodied with a good sipping to sessionable sticky sweet sort of feel. Not cloying, but good.
Overall, I see people saying DFH is past their prime in making this style and I beg to differ as this one was a go-to for me back in the day and still is today.

4.83/5  rDev +13.9%

The thing I was not ready for was the malts in this thing. Holy cow. Lots of carbonation. LOTS. Very attractive Amber color. Nice head retention. Sexy lacing. Smell is just of a hop-forward beer but the taste is where it stands out from the rest. Piney resin with a malty sweet, thick feel. Also a slow sipper for sure.

4.15/5  rDev -2.1%

Look: Attractive golden amber with a respectable 1-2 fingers of white foam on top;

Smell: Pine, caramel

Taste: Surprisingly sweet upfront; Transitions to a citrusy grapefruit toward the end, that
lingers on the palate.

Feel: Syrupy; Full; good carbonation.

Overall: Really a different and very enjoyable pour. Loved the sweetness paired with the
bitter grapefruit close: Looking forward to a rematch evaluation.

4.29/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

First, let me say that I drank this in the cafe car of the Amtrak Acela from NY to Washington. The fact that you can get a beer of this quality and freshness (just a few weeks old) on the train is a very good sign of the state of beer culture in America. I remember when the best you could get was a skunky Heineken there.

Into a clear plastic cup, the beer is a very nice deep clear copper with a 1-finger light tan head. Smell was a little subdued, but it is more on the earthy ripe fruit side, though some pine was coming through. Some sweet malt too.

Beer tastes great. I like IIPA's like this that have some malt character to balance the hops. The feel is very good--highly drinkable but with excellent body. Neither watery nor oily, which I don't love in IPA's.

Overall this is a super high-quality IIPA that I will gladly drink on the train or anywhere else.

4.4/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pouted from a bottle into a pint glass. Pours an orange sunset with an half inch head that leaves good lacing on the glass. Hop forward flavors with deep resin and citrus notes to balance it out.

2.27/5  rDev -46.5%

Looks very nice when poured, nice 1/2 inch head and amber color. Smells like wet hay, and citrus. Taste explosion of way too much malt and hops. Feels kind of thick. I did not like this beer, but this is my first IPA. I did not know what to expect, but many people love this IPA. It was awful from the first taste to me. I know that others enjoy this Dogfish Head, but I will not be getting it again. I am glad that I only bought the one bottle or the others would have been poured down the drain.

4.01/5  rDev -5.4%

This is a colorful beer...a golden red look, copper, medium and clear body.
The smell isn't sharp, there is a deeper fresh scent of hops but a damp citrus smell after sloshing it.
The same tastes come through from the smell but deep in the midst of sharp hops, very strong malt backing take some of the smell and taste and keep this beer smooth...The abv is high and comes through in the end

3.96/5  rDev -6.6%

Let me start out by saying that this particular batch of beer has been in the fridge at the store for a little bit too long. It was bottled on 8/27/15 and today is November 7th. The sad part is that I picked the youngest 4 pack on the shelf. I will have to update my review when I get a fresher batch.

Look: Light amber hue. Good clarity considering the abv. Pronounced head until the last drop. Nice lacing.

Smell: Pronounced malty sweetness, pronounced alcohol, peaches, and light pine.

Taste: Pine resin, candy sweetness and apricot. A little on the sweeter side, but I dig it.

Mouthfeel: Medium to heavy body. Desirable considering the style. A little like syrup in my mouth.

90 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery