90 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

90 Minute IPA90 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2001

Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute IPA "perhaps the best IPA in America." An imperial IPA best savored from a snifter, 90 Minute has a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate.

90 Minute IPA was the first beer we continuously hopped, allowing for a pungent -- but not crushing -- hop flavor.

to view more.
Ratings: 14,186 | Reviews: 3,813
3.41/5  rDev -20.3%

Bottle dated May 1. Booze and biscuity malts, hoppy bitterness, but not a lot else going on.

4.09/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Put simply, too sweet. Nicely balanced and the bitter really pushes through but a little less sweetness would make this so much better.

3.84/5  rDev -10.3%

Deep amber to light copper in color with a quarter inch of off white comprised of tiny, tightly knit bubbles. Lots of tiny carbonation bubbles rise in synch to the top. Heavy lacing is coating the sides of the glass. I don't get much aroma from this. What little I get is a faint whiff of citrus and grainy malt. The flavor is a pungent citrus explosion with a light bready malt backbone. The tiny bubbles and heavy hop presence tickles your tongue and the finish is dry and slightly chalky.

1.89/5  rDev -55.8%

IPA. YUCK. Never again will I consume liquid bitterness that isn't coffee.

3.87/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

This used to be one of my favorite DIPAs. The quality has dropped in recent years...

4.66/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I'm not much of a IPA drinker but this IPA goes down smooth with no after taste. It doesn't have a strong hoppy or bitter taste. Best ipa iv tasted so far.

4.65/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This beer is consistently delicious. It has a malty taste and pretty hoppy. Delicious!

2.97/5  rDev -30.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Not my type of beer.

3.75/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Full disclosure: drunk from the bottle after purchasing at a bodega. I normally never drink from a bottle and always from a beer glass or wine glass.

Having said that, I didn't love it, it had nice hop notes but a peculiar finish that I was trying to pinpoint or more so, to enjoy....I will have to try again from a proper vessel

4.07/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Amazing taste and lack of any bitter aftertaste normally associated with a strong IPA

4.42/5  rDev +3.3%

Overall it was good. I was expecting it to be a little beer. I would drink it again but for the price I think there is better IPA

4.6/5  rDev +7.5%

Big IPA. Heavy hopped, hard hitter, but very pleasant

4.31/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Very complex IPA. What you'd expect from the brew masters at dogfish head. Tasty and hippy.

A somewhat floral flavor that I absolutely love. Favorite IPA; similar to Hop Nosh (Uinta Brewery)

4.22/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

An example of a great brew...

4.85/5  rDev +13.3%

Best IPA I've tried so far.

4.9/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

A: Clear, amber, copper color with a half inch white pillowy head, beautiful lacing down the glass with a thin layer of bubbles blanketing the top

S: Malts first, caramel, then some hops, floral. The balance is evident from the beginning.

T: Caramely sweet malts to begin but almost instantly the floral hops come in to compensate and make a great tasting beer.

M: Medium to full mouth presence, carbonated well

O: Oh man, What a great beer. I really love this. If your a beer lover then you have to try this one. Great malt presence with a nice hop balance. All the measurables are terrific.

4.39/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A: Pours clear amber color. One inch of white head. Large carbonation bubbles.
Nice head retention with watery but ample lacing.

S: Very fruity. Every type you could think of. Dark/sweet/ spicy/ citric.

T/M: Very malty at first. Nuts and caramel. More sweet malts and grains. Fruits
are sweet and balance great with the bitter hops. Hop flavors are strong but never
overpower the rest the flavors. A spiciness comes in with a strong bite. Alcohol
burn comes in a little. Aftertaste is juicy.

O: Amazingly balanced IIPA. Complex without the hop bomb of newer beers. It also
has a distinct taste which helps pull it away from other clone IPA's.

Cheers!!!

3.71/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

this one took me a while to get used to. at first, it was really hoppy and strong. the more i drank it, the more my taste buds adapted to the flavors. everything shone through the 3 time i had it. the taste just reminds me a lot of caramel and citrus

4.98/5  rDev +16.4%

A bit malty very good beer 93/100

4.78/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

My go-to. I love this brew.

4.7/5  rDev +9.8%

I don't usually like IPAs, but I prefer imperial IPAs and this one is my favorite. I don't mind the bitter nose because I adore the smooth finish!

4.42/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottled 2/26/2015.

Appearance: Pours a bright amber color with quite a bit of white head. The lacing is very evident, as each sip leaves a personalized ring on the glass (note, enjoyed out of a pint glass rather than the suggested snifter)

Smell: Right off the bat, I get quite a bit of fresh hops. As I continue to drink this beer, I can smell something citrus and sweet. Not sure if they are part of the same flavor, or two completely different flavors.

Taste: This is a very mild/smooth beer for its style (compared to some others I've had like Hopslam), and I really like that about it. The citrus smell I was getting I can definitely taste, as well as that sweet smell. The first taste that really hits me is pine, and the rest of the flavors seem to follow with a slightly bitter hop finish.

Mouthfeel: Not quite as filling as I'd like it to be, which makes it unbelievably drinkable. For a beer 'best savored from a snifter', this one is a little too easy on the taste buds. Carbonation sounds high upon opening the bottle, but I actually got a light/moderate level of carbonation.

Overall: Being relatively new to BA (but not craft beers), I've had my eyes opened to different highly rated beers. Being relatively accessible, I want to try what I can. I was pretty impressed with the smoothness of this beer given what it has to offer. Definitely glad I bought a 4 pack of it, and will definitely buy it again in the future.

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

Definitely a strong ipa, but it's great

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

Sweet malty piney! Awesome IPA!

to view more.