90 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

90 Minute IPA90 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2001

Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute IPA "perhaps the best IPA in America." An imperial IPA best savored from a snifter, 90 Minute has a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate.

90 Minute IPA was the first beer we continuously hopped, allowing for a pungent -- but not crushing -- hop flavor.

Reviews: 3,702 | Hads: 14,430
Reviews by eporter66:
3.56/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz Bottle poured into a pub glass

A - Excellent lacing throughout, hazy golden amber color

S - A malty overtone, bready, with the alcohol lingering in the background. Not as citrusy as I expected.

T - The hops bite your tongue front and center, but there is a malt base to this, and as with the smell, the alcohol is present, and becomes more prominent as the beer warms. A subtle sweetness hits the tongue, with the piney flavor coming through at the end in the back of your throat.

M - Good carbonation, clean and crisp.

O - I find this quite drinkable considering the 9% ABV. I admit to preferring the standard IPA's to the Imperials - I prefer a more citrusy flavor than the malt that is present in this one. For DFH - I prefer the 60 Minute IPA (758 characters)

4.18/5  rDev -1.2%

Presentation: 12 oz bottle with a freshness date.

Appearance: With the massive amount of hops I expect nothing less than a superb lace and that is what I got. A solid ring after every sip ... amazing. Slightly hazed bronze gold color the haze is most likely from the hops.

Smell: Fresh hop aroma, very oily with herbal and piney notes. Ripe fruity esters and some sweet malt in the back.

Taste: This beer is so juicy, what a hop punch it has. Lots of bitterness and a ton of hop oil flavor from front to back. Very smooth with a thick malty body. Nice cake like maltiness in the middle with a ripe fruit and alcoholic kick in the end, finishes a little sweet with lingering bitter hop tones.

Notes: An exceptional example of an American Double IPA, no worries about getting my hop fix here. (794 characters)

4.07/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

12oz bottled 3/4/2014. Served in a DFH signature glass

Appearance: Pours a bright copper orange color with 1+ finger of a white creamy head. Decent retention and light spotty lacing. Body is relatively clear with medium amounts of visible carbonation.

Smell: Grapefruit like citrus, sweet caramel and toffee, pine, slight earthiness, touch of booziness.

Taste: Big malt sweetness balanced by hop bitterness in the finish. Flavors are more citrus and pine with lots of sweet and toasted bready malt character as well.

Mouthfeel: Medium/full bodied with a slightly sticky mouthfeel. Carbonation is medium.

Overall: Really good double IPA from Dogfish. This one is a classic for a reason. (691 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -0.7%

Brightly polished tangerine-amber with honey colored accents, topped by a thick, creamy head of rich ivory that is tacky enough to stick around, seemingly indefinitely, and to leave an impressive lace legacy when it eventually departs.

Even though the brewery calls it an IPA, there's little doubt that 90 Minute is a DIPA and a good one. The nose is full of bright, brassy citric hops with a sweet caramel maltiness swirled into the mix. Specific fruits include orange, grapefruit and apricot.

This is definitely powerful stuff. Some breweries create DIPAs with a relative emphasis on malt so that there's as much caramel flavor as hoppiness. Others place a relative emphasis on hops in order to produce a tongue-shredding, bitter, explosive hop monster. This beer looks like the latter, but tastes like the former. Trouble is, I prefer the latter.

There's still a lot to like here. The flavor profile is an amalgam of melted caramel, fermented pine sap, concentrated essence of oily citrus peel and alcohol. The alcohol masking--like a few other DFH beers that I've had--is more like those small black 'eye masks' than a full-faced Godzilla mask. That is, it's not that hard to appreciate what's underneath.

Maybe this is an old bottle (although I don't believe that it is) and the hops have softened too much. Running it through Randall the Enamel Animal should fix it right up, but I don't have one handy at the moment. Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA is still good-very good beer, but it doesn't quite crack my upper tier. (1,526 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +5.7%

12oz bottle.

A bit hazy, golden / amber, and topped with a very creamy, enticing looking head. Retention is decent and clingy.

Aroma is full of spicy, floral, herbal, pine-like, pineapple, bready malt and estery characters. Nose is very intricate.

Smooth upfront, big and chewy in the mouthfeel with a creamy palate. Hops are BAM! in your face with prickly, bitter, herbal, pine, citrus rind, salt, slick viscid hop oils, raw leafy hops, earth, resin-like, hints of English cheddar and a touch of soap in a complex and intense medley of characters. Malts are a bit masked by this and take a backseat for most of the drive with some bready flavors and a lot of backseat driving as far as the mouthfeel goes. Alcohol is very present, with a warming feel in the head and fumes in the breath. Light notes of toasted malts / caramel as the beer warms. Dose of yeast in a drying finish.

This beer has really tightened up since its initial release ... of which I was not a fan of.

In the realm of Imperial / Double IPA's, 90 Minute IPA is King ... or at least one of the mighty Kings within its growing empire. (1,118 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -23.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

On tap at Vine and Barley Palm City. Served in a snifter.

Appearance - Deep amber body. Medium white head. Thick collar and some nice lacing.

Smell - Mostly sweet caramel malts. Some grapefruits hops.

Taste - Grapefruit hops. Caramel malt. Basically mimics the smell. Monotonous caramel malt that becomes oppressive in its sweetness. Mild bitterness in the back.

Mouthfeel - Heavy and sweet. Mild bitterness. Medium carbonation.

Overall - I remember liking this back in the day, but it's outrageously sweet. (514 characters)

1.12/5  rDev -73.5%

What's ther to say about this beer that hasn't already been said about Obama. It's empty promises and positive reviews don't give justice for the pure evil and harshness that is this beer. Imaging fermented raisens mixed with vodka. That's what this beer tastes like. The bitterness isn't bracing like a GOOD Ipa. Instead it cuts your taste buds open only to allow the horrible taste to hit you full swing. (like pouring lemon juice into an open wound).

I'm very thankful I bought one bottle of this for a little over $2. I was only able to stomach half before pouring the devil necter down the drain. As I watched it fall into the depths of hell, I noticed the dark color and thick consistency not unsimilar to that of a cough syrup. Truly symbolic for the evil that this over rated beer brings. (797 characters)

This used to be one of my go to beers when I first got into the craft beer scene. Now, I can't find myself finishing a whole glass. The color and smell is nice, but what I really can't get with is the huge malt presence. Not terrible, just not my type of DIPA. (260 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -22.5%

A great marzen. Except it's not supposed to be. (47 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +6.9%

Appearnce: a very appealing pour...clear golden-orange with a foamy, medium off-white head. as clear as apple juice.

Smell: hoppy and sweet. plenty over-ripened fruits...apricot, peach and bitter orange peel. oozing of hop.

Taste: sweet off the top with a cotton candy like fluffiness. orange peel and again, ripe aprcots. the sweetness maintains its staying power while giving way to some serious hop bitterness. the combine nicely and offer up a well balanced and big palate. both the fruity sweetness and hop bitterness linger nice and long and the maltiness is present too although hidden beneath it all.

Mouthfeel: some fuzziness to the mouthfeel. smoothes out mid sip and generally has a light to medium body character. very easy going down.

Drinkability: i feel like im not even getting the 9% abv here. The easy drinking combo of fruitiness and hop galore simply pleases my palate to no end. I feel like I could have 12 of these over a day. Simply a great IPA. Loved it. (990 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +3.5%

Appearance – Nice, beautiful head that rose up nicely, went down slow, and laced the glass. The body is a lovely orange that screams, “IPA.”

Smell – What do we have here? Did I inadvertently find one of the big boys? This beer reeks of piney hops. We have a lot of evergreen trees in Washington State, and this smells like I’ve rolled in the needles for a few hours. I mean, I can’t even explain how strong and sharp this is.

Once you get past that, there are some other, softer, more floral hops and actually some sort of malt in there for balance. But, I think I’m going to nickname this one, “The Pine Tree.”

Taste – Man, is this sharp. This is like IPA concentrate. Add 1 Tablespoon to 12 ounces of water and, “Poof,” you’ve got an IPA. This is extreme hops at their best. The super-strong hop flavors give this one yet another nickname: The Rind & Pine.

Interestingly, the malt balance is very clear. It’s more of a grainy barley malt, but it’s there in force. This is amazing considering the preponderance of this ale to hops.

The taste of this ale will inevitably be compared to The Ruination, so let’s get this out of the way. The Ruination is more refined. It is more balanced. It is more user-friendly. But, the 90 Minute IPA will stand your hair on ends. If the Ruination is the King, this is his crazy brother living in exile tenaciously dedicated to overthrowing the crown.

Mouthfeel – This DFH is medium to full bodied, lightly carbonated, very smooth, and has terrific balance.

Drinkability – This is a real treat. Drink it the way it is or age it for a few months to mellow out the hops.

Update – I first reviewed this a month after joining the site. It has become one of my “regular buys” but thought it would be fun to re-review it with an ’04 vintage. I juggled a few of the scores around a bit but basically I’d write the review the same way. This is one damn good ADIPA. (1,938 characters)

1.88/5  rDev -55.6%

I did not care for the malt make up, nor the apricot smell and taste. I prefer a west coast style hoppy citrusy and bitter imperial. I have not been impressed with dogfish head, which isn't to say they're bad, just not for me. (226 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served on draft at the brewery in Milton, DE.

Appearance: Clear gold/amber, thick off-white head. Medium carbonation.

Smell: Big hop aromas, fresh citrusy/piney, maybe a hint of grapefruit. Also smells a bit sweet.

Taste: The draft is much better than bottle, the bottle comes off as a bit sweet for me by comparison. This is a nice little hop explosion in the mouth without being overwhelming at all. Just a big hop flavor with a sweet malt backbone to keep it even. Supremely drinkable for a DIPA. The 9% ABV is well concealed, I would have probably guessed more like 7.5% if I did not know better.

Mouthfeel: Medium/full body, a bit thick but not when you take into account the ABV.

Overall: Quite possibly the sweet spot for, dare I say it, a session DIPA. Delicious but dangerously drinkable. This is my go-to beer as I can always find it and it's reliably excellent (unlike the 120, which is awesome but scarce and inconsistent year to year). Not as refreshing as the 60 so I typically would have one of these before or after dinner, but not during. Have a draft with a really spicy snack and it is quite amazing. (1,124 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -17.3%

I can't get this in Canada so when I was in Colorado I bought a 4 pack. I was eagerly awaiting to try it. I was disappointed. There is something in the taste that I did not like. Now, in fairness, it was the only bottled beer I drank while in Fort Collins for a week - but there was just something I didn't like compared to Odell's Myrcenary or Double Jack.

I'd never turn it down but I was disappointed. Maybe I built it up too much? (436 characters)

3.52/5  rDev -16.8%

Bottle. Full disclosure: I am not an IPA fan, generally sticking with stouts, porters and some dark lagers. But there was a lone bottle in my local grocery store and I thought, why not. So, with that in mind... I started this around 56F. It poured an OMG beautiful golden amber, perhaps the prettiest beer I've seen. Nice whitish head that lasted long enough to appreciate. Smell was mostly citrus hops. Maybe some grapefruit, but definitely citrus. Aroma was the weakest link. Taste followed, but slightly out performed the aroma. Feel was medium body and quite creamy. In fact, there's many a stout that could take a lesson. I found myself wanting to really like this beer, but ultimately it is not my thing. My rating is probably unfair because I'm not into IPAs, but if you are, or want to try one, I heartily recommend this beer! (847 characters)

A swill so foul I would take the disgusting Natural Light over it any day. (74 characters)

On tap in a glass, interesting mix of smells and flavors, but really does not have the traditional character of an IPA or DIPA. Mix of sweet malt and bitter hops with a grapefruit "pith" aftertaste - not a good flavor lingering at the end. (239 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -36.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Appearance - pours a nice copper hue into the snifter the beer was served with. One finger head.

Smell - A bit sharp. Lots of hops and lots of malt on the nose. Not much citrus, but it's there.

Taste - Very malty and bitter, and an unfortunate amount of alcohol cuts through the taste. I caught slight notes of citrus and pine, but the malt overwhelms most other flavors. I'm surprised at how much alcohol I could taste, especially as I kept drinking. This is not what I would consider a well-balanced DIPA. If you're looking for fruit you'll be disappointed.

Mouth - Thick, syrupy and yet creamy. The carbonation is right, but it sticks to your mouth longer than I prefer.

Overall - This is the first 90 minute I've had in a long time, and in my opinion it does not compare favorably to the newer DIPAs on the market - especially if you prefer juicy, fruity, and fresh tasting IPAs like I do. (897 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -17.7%

12oz bottle in a stemmed tulip.

A- Poured a brawny looking golden reddish-brown color. A big white head left rings of lacing. Slightly hazy.

S- Malts and hops are trumped by sugar and alcohol. I'm trying to be kind so I'll omit the word 'unpleasant'. Or maybe I won't.

T- Heavy malt load and resinous hop flavors are trumped by, you guessed it, sugar and alcohol. Less so than in the aroma thus allowing flavors to develop.

M- Thick, chewy and resinous. The malts build body, hops do their dance.

O- I missed the appeal of this brew due to the force of its sugar and booziness. (582 characters)

1.5/5  rDev -64.5%

May have tried IPAs too soon, have yet to acquire the taste for them unfortunately :( (85 characters)

3.92/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Not really impress with this IPA (32 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

Well balanced hops and smoothness with a fruity character. A must try, and I would certainly drink it again. (109 characters)

Not that impressed. A lot of reviews here are high for this one. Guess it just didn't arouse my taste buds. IPA's are my fav, but not this (138 characters)

2.12/5  rDev -49.9%

I can respect it, but not my cup of tea when it come to IPAs, too pungent. IMO (79 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -4.3%

I love the Imperial IPAs by Dogfish Head and I also have been to a couple of their Ale houses and have tried their beer sampler, but was not sufficiently prescient to make mental notes that were detailed enough to write a review after the fact. However, I stopped at the local warehouse and picked up some of this Imperial IPA for the explicit purpose of reviewing it. It is a pleasure to do so. And with a beast like this that boasts 9% ABV and, of course, 90 IBUs, you can’t go wrong.

Look-It pours a clear golden amber color with an angry giant head which settles into a foamy soapy and delicate finger or two deep head. The lacing is absolutely beautiful and droops slightly, but has a sticky component to it.

Smell-I get grapefruit, pine, and toasted English malts. The malt variety that they chose was an excellent idea, because Esquire magazine said was “the best IPA in America”. It has a brandy and smoky bread smell, too that carries over into the taste.

Taste-The taste is toffee and citrus like grapefruit that lingers throughout the entire experience, but is also dominated late-in by an intense hop flavor and bitterness from the strong hops. The brewers boast a “ridiculous amount of English two-row Barley” that comes out toasted and delicious. I also get some resin and buttered biscuit notes.

Mouthfeel-It has a full-bodied and syrupy feel that is so pleasant and not overly sweet. Somehow, my aversion for overly sweet syrup malts has been avoided here and the barley malts are well-balanced and fine-tuned.

Overall-I would describe this beer in few words rather than many. I would describe this variety as memorable and delicious. It is fine-tuned and powerful. It is Dogfish Head! Cheers! (1,725 characters)

90 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery