90 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

90 Minute IPA90 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2001

Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute IPA "perhaps the best IPA in America." An imperial IPA best savored from a snifter, 90 Minute has a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate.

90 Minute IPA was the first beer we continuously hopped, allowing for a pungent -- but not crushing -- hop flavor.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 90 Minute IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,716 | Hads: 14,517

Great nose upon opening, complex flavors of hops, with a big caramel malt infused backbone. Smooth bitterless finish for an Imperial IPA. This beer gains complexity as the glass empties. Often a bit sweet yet you salivate for another taste. (240 characters)

Look, I know I just gave this beer a perfect score, but there is a reason. I have had MANY different beers over many years. This is the most beautiful beer I have ever placed in my mouth.

This is a hoppy IPA that doesn't taste hoppy, and I'll tell you why. Because hoppy IPAs bite the back of your tongue on the finish. This beer (which is very different than the 60 minute IPA) has a glorious finish that is round and smooth. It is just so beautiful. It almost makes me want to cry.

I have developed a quick appreciation for this and other high alcohol beers. NOT for the alcohol, but because they share a characteristic that I find beautiful They are like a fine spirit that you sip slowly because it is so elegant.

So, I've given this a perfect score because to this moment I have never had another beer quite as good. You pay through the nose for this, but its worth every penny. (895 characters)

90 min IPA makes up all the qualities an imperial IPA drinker is looking for. 90 Min has the sweet but strong hop flavor that is smooth in your mouth. I love to drink a 90 min with a salmon dinner. (199 characters)

The BEST ,or a beer that is 90 IBU and 9 % ABU its is very smooth. Citrusy, nice.
Very drinkable. Hoppy but not overwhelming. You want super hoppy try Ballantine !
Top 5 on my list, my #1 !!! (191 characters)

bowwow blub blub. you know it isnt a funny IPA its funny that more IPAs arent as good as this. what a brew! flavor is unique, even in comparison to its 60 minute little brother. I find this IPA to be a fine and wild taste that while so wonderfully bitter, maintains its malt and cool summer basking firehose thirstbusting capacity.

i love this beer!!!! (358 characters)

Poured into the Golden Chalice handed down from my German ancestor Hans.

Apperance: Hazy sweet pixie dust and fairy butterflies tinkling and dancing through the dark almost syrupy albeit languid fields.

Smell: Pungent, yet tender. These dark waters strangle the nostrils and do not hold back its forceful grasp without kicking and screaming. Every second of this free-wheeling head trip of a scent manages to conjure visions some would call a "carnal desire".

Taste: Freshly mowed grass at dusk on July. The maltiness is present, yet the hoppy nature of this beast tickles an arrangement of compacted symphonies for the expanding palate.

Mouthfeel: Its aural tentacles spread out and engulf the mouth in waves of dark melodic spirals and dissonant fuzz, washing over the palate ebbing and flowing like night tides.

Overall: A true work of art. (850 characters)

A- Looking at a freshly poured glass of 90 minute is a beauty unto itself. I breathtakingly nice fluffy head is the first thing you see as the delicious drink grows to the brim. Next you lean in to take a whiff...

S- Fruity perhaps, but very subtly, more woody. It reminds me of walking through a forrest right after the rain and smelling something extremely earth and delicious.

T- For those of you who have had a 90', you understand. Simply delicious and super hoppy.

F- The first sip of a fresh, properly chilled 90' will sting the tongue mildly from the carbonation, but this is not a bad thing by any stretch. If anything it just remind you that your not messing around. A quick switch around the mouth spreads the delicious flavor to all corners and after swallowing the mild tingling will just have you begging for more.

O- My Favorite Beer. Hands down. (864 characters)

This is is Amazing Beer! I am not a big fan of this style but one thing sold me is the after taste does not taste like Pine Sol cleaner. Most of ipa have a pine sol lingering in your mouth after taste which I hate. It is not cheap but I treat myself to a four pack once in a while.

.Appearance: A great looking cloudy orange with amber color with a frothy head.

Smells: caramel, vanilla , pine and little clove.

Taste: Some bitterness on the tongue and some malt takes over. Finishes slightly bitter but not overe powering. Some hint of citrus and chocolate kind of taste in there as well. Real well balanced but

Mouthfeel- Overall great mouthfeel.

Overall: I am glad I tried this beer a year ago. Awesome IPA with great taste , balance, smell and no harsh pine sol after taste. (787 characters)

Absolutely one of my favorite beers!! honestly can go good with anything, but you are better off enjoying this beer by itself. it has so much too offer, such great combination between the yeast and malt's making this an outstanding brew. you can put this on my list of top beers. (279 characters)

Great Taste and flavor. I had it from a bottle and it has been one of the best I had in a long time. I had the 60 Minute on Tap and saw this in the cooler and requested this. Best choice that I made. I just hope that I can find this at my distributor so I can enjoy this at home. (279 characters)

I've been loving this beer for a while, so I guess it's time I reviewed it. It is my beer of choice during the summer, as my other favorites are just too heavy when it's hot outside. This is a phenomenal beer year-round, and is very refreshing no matter the temperature outside.
I am currently enjoying this from my trusty stein.
Look: Pours a gorgeous clover-honey color with a three-finger head that stays a while. The foam dissipates unevenly, rather like thick heads do when you know the beer has been made right.
Smell: Hops. Lots and lots of hops. The grapefruit-citrus aroma of good hops overpowers any other smell.
Taste: The taste is amazing. Hops are right up front, and they are strong. However, this beer is wonderfully balanced. It is not very bitter, as the hops would lead one to expect. There is some small bitterness, but it is the pleasant bitterness of grapefruit, not like eating a peel. There is a huge amount of English two-row barley malt that balances out the hops, making for a beer that is not only extremely hoppy, but very malty as well. It fades into a mellow aftertaste of citrus and sweet malt.
Feel: It goes down exceptionally smoothly. It is velvety, a little more like water than oil in its consistency, though its flavor is anything but watery.
Overall: Try this beer! This is about as hoppy a beer as I can stand, since I usually prefer darker beers that are maltier, like Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale. This beer has enough malt to keep it from being too bitter, and it has enough hops to satisfy any hophead cravings you may have. It is extremely drinkable year-round, but be careful: it is 9% alcohol because of the absurd amount of hops and the malt necessary to make it balanced. It is the only beer that I have ever tasted and immediately thought, "That is genius." And I still feel that way. A ridiculously good beer that any beer drinker, and, especially, any fan of IPA's, needs to try. (1,930 characters)

This is by far the best IPA I have ever had. The malt balance on the hops is absolutely outstanding. The smell is what you'd expect - piny and citrusy. It just does not come across as a "hop-bomb" but instead is a seriously enjoyable beer that I keep in the beer fridge at all times (282 characters)

This is one of my all time favorite beers, and I buy it almost every week. It may be expensive but is no doubt worth the price, especially at 9 % you don't need many.

The appearance is a dark brown amber. With a nice thick white head that stays on the top of the beer throughout. I would say an impressive appearance and could be spotted out as a nice IPA a mile away.

The smell is very sweet just like its taste. You can smell the hops and malt, but its not overpowering. It smells how it tastes, delicious and sweet, but not too sweet. I like bitter IPA's but this one is not bitter at all and still packs a huge punch. Dogfish obviously has some master brewers on their hands.

The mouthfeel is great too, very smooth and goes down easy. It is pretty heavy, so if you put away a few of these get ready to feel a nice beer stone in your stomach.

Go buy this beer now if you have never had it. It may seem pricey that a 4 pack is around 12 bucks. But once you try it you'll be hooked and realize all you need is a 4 pack. (1,028 characters)

A: Pours a beautiful golden golden golden orange color with a nice white frothy head. Good retention to the last sip. Nice beautiful lacing as well.

S: Large burst of citrus. Grapefruit, orange zest, little pineapple (I get that a lot with DIPA's for some reason), little peachy, little piney. Slight malt in the background.

T: Taste like I hope that Jesus would. You can tell how oily the hops are in this brew by the rich hop character it gives off. So many flavors comin' atcha! Hops, pine, malt, booze, little more pine, little citrus, little bit more booze, then BAM comes the fruit and malt again. Smooooth finish.

M: Smooth, medium, and rich. Not crisp, just smooth.

O: I LOVE this beer. I could drink it everyday...and would if I could afford it. It is just very well balanced, beautiful in color, rich in taste, and worth every penny. (848 characters)

This beer was bottled 6/10/11 and I was able to consume it on 7/2/11 allthough I had gotten it a week before on the 6/25/11.

(WOW) I had a buddy bring me some down from Pennsylvania. This has now become my favorite beer. Unreal at how hoppy this brew is. Living here in Alabama we are surrounded by pines and I thought the people from Dogfish Head had put one in my beer. Very piney, floral aroma that has some of the greatest hop smells ever bottled.

This beer is 9% abv and if you told me it was 5%abv, I would have believed that before seeing it actually is 9% abv. This brew does not drink like a 9% abv. It does however drink like the best DIPA you will ever have. It really is sick at how smooth this brew actually is. Be careful when drinking this one and remember it is 9%.

I have to tip my hat to the people at DFH you truly have created a masterpiece and I am so glad I was able to try this. Thank You DFH

Cheers (927 characters)

Awesome Beer, but hard to find on tap. I usually treat myself to a four pack.
Taster is amazing. It as some depth but goes down quite smooth.
Smell, Hoppy, but still smooth. Smell could turn someone away. THey will have to try and see how smooth it is going down your throat.
ABV= DRUNK!
I LOVE THIS BEER! (305 characters)

This is still my favorite beer, nothing has come close to the first time i tried this beer a couple of year ago!

Amazing color, feel on the palatte, and overall taste that i think defines the genre of imperial IPA.

If you don't get dogfish head where you live, trade to get this beer, it is the best! (303 characters)

Bottled 4 pack. Light amber, clear beer has lacy thinnish head. Hoppy and malty nose: wine gums, floral notes, watermelon, strawberry, some citrus. Caramel-topped maltiness with some biscuity toastedness. Intensly malty and thick, still not too sweeet. Light dryfruit notes. Strong but really round bitterness. Amazingly smooth palate, full body. Delicious DIPA. (362 characters)

A: poured from a bottle into a Great Divide Willi glass. Light copper color with a finger of head from a modest pour. Beautiful bubbles are all over in this beer and maintaining the head. Absolutely gorgeous looking beer.
S: Delicious scent of citric hops and caramel. Very sweet on the nose but you can tell this one has some bitterness to it.
T: Amazing malty caramel flavor with enough bitterness to keep it all in check with some earthy citrus flavors and a bitter granny apple skin flavor after the swallow. There's a reason I brought eight of these back with me.
M: Full bodied with good carbonation and some stickyness from all the malt.
D: Although it isn't wise or doctor recommended I'd drink this stuff in place of water

Overall: A very well balanced and tasty Double IPA that I probably should have bought more of in place of some other beers(Magic Hat Hex). If you like IPAs this is one to have on your bucket list. (929 characters)

Reviewed this on tap now reviewing it out of the bottle. It smells like that piney hop smell that I'd expect out of a nicely hopped IPA plus with some fruit smells probably from the mixture of hops they use and the fruity yeast strain. The taste is that piney and citrus fruit flavor combined with a thicker more robust roasted malt flavor than the 60 minute. It still has that same malt flavor just a lot more of it so it comes off as richer tasting. The hops leave a nice resinous bite that mixes in with the citrus hops they use and that fruity alcohol yeast thing they have going on. This beer is amazing and one of the best tasting and ridiculously balanced Imperial IPA's ever. On tap it had a bit more bite but I'm sure if you get this super fresh in the bottle it will have that same effect. All in all one of my favorite beers of all time. (848 characters)

For a beer with as many hops as this one has, you would expect it to be super bitter and dry but It's just the opposite. I have never drank this stuff below room temp. This stuff starts off very fruity with barley wine like qualities and finishes spicy. This beer is very full bodied and would be a nice addition to your Christmas Parties or Summer Cookouts. This stuff is perfect. (381 characters)

A- WOW. Poured into a pint to reveal a stunning reddish-gold flavor. The head puffed up to perfectly cap the pint glass- this one is a real beauty.

S- Toasty, malty, crisp. I swear I picked up a brandy-like aroma and a touch of caramel.

T- Exceptional. Not sweet, but not bitter. A touch hoppy and a touch malty... The aftertaste is almost as good as the drinking experience!

M- Lightly carbonated with a slightly syrupy aftertaste. No alcohol burn, just a slight warm mouthfeel.

D- I could easily polish off a 4-pack of bottles, but with 9%ABV that might lead to a headache later on. This beer is beautiful, it is really a treat to have found it. Very enjoyable and highly recommended. (690 characters)

A- a golden/amber color with true head retension. About a 1" head with a bone white color that yields a wavy lacing that subsides into a sticky spotted trace of legs.

S-strong esters and a very hoppy backbone filled with piney, earthy, and mild floral notes. Small amounts of biscuit and sweet bread are evident with some dark fruit barely coming through.

T-the hop oils attack your taste buds in a aggressive manner that yields quickly to unreal amounts of alternate flavour. My tastebuds are confused!! It takes generous pulls of this sweet nectar to even begin to grasp its complexity. I love the rich doughy forefront that is immediatly tackled by hop oils and fruity esters. Figs, caramel, raisins, cake and piney evervescence meld together like a monument to double IPA.

M/D- one word- awesome (805 characters)

This is the best Imperial IPA I have had the pleasure of tasting time and time again, every beer connesuir should pick up at least a four-pack if not a case.

A: A reddish-orange ale with a substantial head from a pour that dissipated as slow as molasses. There's a layer of foam every time you take a sip.

S: Smells like a combination of fresh oranges and pine. I could really get a sense of the fruity bouquet that went into this.

T: Opens deep and warm and very orangey. There is a creaminess that ties all the taste incorporated in this brew all together. A slight hoppiness takes over at the end together with a flowery piney taste which is a change from the strong malty backbone this beer presents.

M: Creamy and light to medium bodied. There is a very silky mouthfeel here with a bit of bite from the carbonation.

D: This beer is something wonderful and is really making a strong pull for me to join the lighter side. An amazing example of the double/Imperial IPA style that I wouldn't mind enjoying again and again. (1,029 characters)

Poured from a 12oz bottle. Based on the bottled date about 4 months old.

Pours a beautiful golden color with light head.

Drinks very smooth and the alcohol is not very noticable for a 9% abv brew.

Slightly sweet taste with citrus and honey flavors. Great hop flavor.

Well balanced and very drinkable. Great well rounded beer. Much better than the 60 minute and not overly sweet like the 120 minute. To me this is the best DFH IPA.

My favorite IPA of all brewers and one of my top ten beers of all time. (508 characters)

90 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery