90 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

90 Minute IPA90 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2001

Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute IPA "perhaps the best IPA in America." An imperial IPA best savored from a snifter, 90 Minute has a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate.

90 Minute IPA was the first beer we continuously hopped, allowing for a pungent -- but not crushing -- hop flavor.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 90 Minute IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,757 | Hads: 14,731

The color to this beer is smooth, clear and well defined. Rather pretty to look at, like a brown eyed girl.

The smell is amazing! One of three beers I like to smell as much as I taste it, it literally smells like a greenhouse of flowers.

This is the bench mark of the IPA, the platinum standard. The hops are bitter/sweet well chosen for flavor, the balance of malt makes them taste sweet and floral with a little bite. This is how hops should taste in beer.

Since I like malty smooth beers with minimal tart I wanted to give 4.5 on mouthfeel just to mark something off, but it's actually a 5! It is actually the exact mouthfeel and IPA should have.

One pint fills you up, but a second beer is very tempting if you aren't too far under because it packs a good punch. Possibly the best American beer, no kidding. I hope this beer never changes, and becomes cheaper than Bud.

Awesome Beer, but hard to find on tap. I usually treat myself to a four pack.
Taster is amazing. It as some depth but goes down quite smooth.
Smell, Hoppy, but still smooth. Smell could turn someone away. THey will have to try and see how smooth it is going down your throat.

The BEST ,or a beer that is 90 IBU and 9 % ABU its is very smooth. Citrusy, nice.
Very drinkable. Hoppy but not overwhelming. You want super hoppy try Ballantine !
Top 5 on my list, my #1 !!!

If you like hops this is the way to go. The boys at Dogfish head have made a great beer here. If you love hops this beer is for you. Personally the best IPA I have had. This beer has a great hop taste. I am really looking forward to trying the 120 min IPA from Dogfish Head.

On tap during Rich O's Lupulin Land 2004

This is the very first beer I've ever rated all 5s. It was absolutely magnicent from beginning to end.

Beer arrived in an english pint glass with a head so dense, I could have sculpted it with a putty knife. Excellent head retention with heavy lacing.
Beautiful deep amber with a hint of orange.

Smell was crisp clean hops with citrus predomitating, oranges and grapefruit. Also a hint of clove and honey.

Taste was simply outstanding. No other way to describe it. A burst of refreshing clean hops right from the get go, with a glorious middle of mild fruit. Extra dry clean finish. It's very hard to tell from the taste that this is a 9% abv beer.

Mouthfeel was excellent. Many beers this hoppy leave a long aftertaste that can seem to stay with you for days. Not this beer. Just the right amount of carbonation allows it to slip down easy with.

Extremely drinkable. It has me wondering how much it is to buy it directly in kegs.

This beer was bottled 6/10/11 and I was able to consume it on 7/2/11 allthough I had gotten it a week before on the 6/25/11.

(WOW) I had a buddy bring me some down from Pennsylvania. This has now become my favorite beer. Unreal at how hoppy this brew is. Living here in Alabama we are surrounded by pines and I thought the people from Dogfish Head had put one in my beer. Very piney, floral aroma that has some of the greatest hop smells ever bottled.

This beer is 9% abv and if you told me it was 5%abv, I would have believed that before seeing it actually is 9% abv. This brew does not drink like a 9% abv. It does however drink like the best DIPA you will ever have. It really is sick at how smooth this brew actually is. Be careful when drinking this one and remember it is 9%.

I have to tip my hat to the people at DFH you truly have created a masterpiece and I am so glad I was able to try this. Thank You DFH

This is is Amazing Beer! I am not a big fan of this style but one thing sold me is the after taste does not taste like Pine Sol cleaner. Most of ipa have a pine sol lingering in your mouth after taste which I hate. It is not cheap but I treat myself to a four pack once in a while.

.Appearance: A great looking cloudy orange with amber color with a frothy head.

Smells: caramel, vanilla , pine and little clove.

Taste: Some bitterness on the tongue and some malt takes over. Finishes slightly bitter but not overe powering. Some hint of citrus and chocolate kind of taste in there as well. Real well balanced but

Mouthfeel- Overall great mouthfeel.

Overall: I am glad I tried this beer a year ago. Awesome IPA with great taste , balance, smell and no harsh pine sol after taste.

This is the best Imperial IPA I have had the pleasure of tasting time and time again, every beer connesuir should pick up at least a four-pack if not a case.

A: A reddish-orange ale with a substantial head from a pour that dissipated as slow as molasses. There's a layer of foam every time you take a sip.

S: Smells like a combination of fresh oranges and pine. I could really get a sense of the fruity bouquet that went into this.

T: Opens deep and warm and very orangey. There is a creaminess that ties all the taste incorporated in this brew all together. A slight hoppiness takes over at the end together with a flowery piney taste which is a change from the strong malty backbone this beer presents.

M: Creamy and light to medium bodied. There is a very silky mouthfeel here with a bit of bite from the carbonation.

D: This beer is something wonderful and is really making a strong pull for me to join the lighter side. An amazing example of the double/Imperial IPA style that I wouldn't mind enjoying again and again.

A: poured from a bottle into a Great Divide Willi glass. Light copper color with a finger of head from a modest pour. Beautiful bubbles are all over in this beer and maintaining the head. Absolutely gorgeous looking beer.
S: Delicious scent of citric hops and caramel. Very sweet on the nose but you can tell this one has some bitterness to it.
T: Amazing malty caramel flavor with enough bitterness to keep it all in check with some earthy citrus flavors and a bitter granny apple skin flavor after the swallow. There's a reason I brought eight of these back with me.
M: Full bodied with good carbonation and some stickyness from all the malt.
D: Although it isn't wise or doctor recommended I'd drink this stuff in place of water

Overall: A very well balanced and tasty Double IPA that I probably should have bought more of in place of some other beers(Magic Hat Hex). If you like IPAs this is one to have on your bucket list.

This is one of my all time favorite beers, and I buy it almost every week. It may be expensive but is no doubt worth the price, especially at 9 % you don't need many.

The appearance is a dark brown amber. With a nice thick white head that stays on the top of the beer throughout. I would say an impressive appearance and could be spotted out as a nice IPA a mile away.

The smell is very sweet just like its taste. You can smell the hops and malt, but its not overpowering. It smells how it tastes, delicious and sweet, but not too sweet. I like bitter IPA's but this one is not bitter at all and still packs a huge punch. Dogfish obviously has some master brewers on their hands.

The mouthfeel is great too, very smooth and goes down easy. It is pretty heavy, so if you put away a few of these get ready to feel a nice beer stone in your stomach.

Go buy this beer now if you have never had it. It may seem pricey that a 4 pack is around 12 bucks. But once you try it you'll be hooked and realize all you need is a 4 pack.

Got to sample it on tap at the Connecticut River Brewfest. I was very excited, as the bottle was incredibly good.

This was a clear amber brew with a very big head, dense and foamy. It lasted quite a while.

The aroma was of hops. Complex, several kinds, layered and strong.

The taste was of intense hop bitterness, with not a lot of malt, and a long bitter slow finish.

What can I say? Better on tap than in the bottle. The closest thing to a perfect beer that I have had yet. It was beyond true description. I have GOT to find a bar that has this on tap, and make it my home. This would go well with cheese and crackers, nachos, and practically anything else you could think of.

Reviewed this on tap now reviewing it out of the bottle. It smells like that piney hop smell that I'd expect out of a nicely hopped IPA plus with some fruit smells probably from the mixture of hops they use and the fruity yeast strain. The taste is that piney and citrus fruit flavor combined with a thicker more robust roasted malt flavor than the 60 minute. It still has that same malt flavor just a lot more of it so it comes off as richer tasting. The hops leave a nice resinous bite that mixes in with the citrus hops they use and that fruity alcohol yeast thing they have going on. This beer is amazing and one of the best tasting and ridiculously balanced Imperial IPA's ever. On tap it had a bit more bite but I'm sure if you get this super fresh in the bottle it will have that same effect. All in all one of my favorite beers of all time.

I know that many on BA will "turn on their stools" when they hear this but I believe that DFH 90 is the best IPA on the market. It has a great aroma that you can taste at the back of your tongue from the first sniff. The taste will make you a fan and make you open up a second, third, and forth at the first sitting.

I've been loving this beer for a while, so I guess it's time I reviewed it. It is my beer of choice during the summer, as my other favorites are just too heavy when it's hot outside. This is a phenomenal beer year-round, and is very refreshing no matter the temperature outside.
I am currently enjoying this from my trusty stein.
Look: Pours a gorgeous clover-honey color with a three-finger head that stays a while. The foam dissipates unevenly, rather like thick heads do when you know the beer has been made right.
Smell: Hops. Lots and lots of hops. The grapefruit-citrus aroma of good hops overpowers any other smell.
Taste: The taste is amazing. Hops are right up front, and they are strong. However, this beer is wonderfully balanced. It is not very bitter, as the hops would lead one to expect. There is some small bitterness, but it is the pleasant bitterness of grapefruit, not like eating a peel. There is a huge amount of English two-row barley malt that balances out the hops, making for a beer that is not only extremely hoppy, but very malty as well. It fades into a mellow aftertaste of citrus and sweet malt.
Feel: It goes down exceptionally smoothly. It is velvety, a little more like water than oil in its consistency, though its flavor is anything but watery.
Overall: Try this beer! This is about as hoppy a beer as I can stand, since I usually prefer darker beers that are maltier, like Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale. This beer has enough malt to keep it from being too bitter, and it has enough hops to satisfy any hophead cravings you may have. It is extremely drinkable year-round, but be careful: it is 9% alcohol because of the absurd amount of hops and the malt necessary to make it balanced. It is the only beer that I have ever tasted and immediately thought, "That is genius." And I still feel that way. A ridiculously good beer that any beer drinker, and, especially, any fan of IPA's, needs to try.

bowwow blub blub. you know it isnt a funny IPA its funny that more IPAs arent as good as this. what a brew! flavor is unique, even in comparison to its 60 minute little brother. I find this IPA to be a fine and wild taste that while so wonderfully bitter, maintains its malt and cool summer basking firehose thirstbusting capacity.

i love this beer!!!!

I was lucky enough to get this one on tap. Color is golden with a tint of orange, medium body, perfect amount of carbonation. It rolls smoothly over the tongue coating the mouth in flavors of citrus, floral, and distinct malt balanced by smooth hops.
Really enjoyed this one.

Look, I know I just gave this beer a perfect score, but there is a reason. I have had MANY different beers over many years. This is the most beautiful beer I have ever placed in my mouth.

This is a hoppy IPA that doesn't taste hoppy, and I'll tell you why. Because hoppy IPAs bite the back of your tongue on the finish. This beer (which is very different than the 60 minute IPA) has a glorious finish that is round and smooth. It is just so beautiful. It almost makes me want to cry.

I have developed a quick appreciation for this and other high alcohol beers. NOT for the alcohol, but because they share a characteristic that I find beautiful They are like a fine spirit that you sip slowly because it is so elegant.

So, I've given this a perfect score because to this moment I have never had another beer quite as good. You pay through the nose for this, but its worth every penny.

This may be the best American made beer of all time. IPA but with a touch of sweetness. High alcohol but very good taste. Everything about this beer is exceptional. If you see this on tap this should be your number one priority. Just remember that you can't drink very many of these and still drive home.

Bottled 4 pack. Light amber, clear beer has lacy thinnish head. Hoppy and malty nose: wine gums, floral notes, watermelon, strawberry, some citrus. Caramel-topped maltiness with some biscuity toastedness. Intensly malty and thick, still not too sweeet. Light dryfruit notes. Strong but really round bitterness. Amazingly smooth palate, full body. Delicious DIPA.

Poured from a 12oz bottle. Based on the bottled date about 4 months old.

Pours a beautiful golden color with light head.

Drinks very smooth and the alcohol is not very noticable for a 9% abv brew.

Slightly sweet taste with citrus and honey flavors. Great hop flavor.

Well balanced and very drinkable. Great well rounded beer. Much better than the 60 minute and not overly sweet like the 120 minute. To me this is the best DFH IPA.

My favorite IPA of all brewers and one of my top ten beers of all time.

Had on tap at Mentor Winking Lizard 10/2/08. Smells as good as it looks. First sip is sweet and then quite hoppy. Delicious. At 9% it's surprising how easy it is to drink this beer. Not just sip, but drink. Ok, 3 pints is the limit, but I would like to drink this all day. I just can't.

I just picked up my first 4 bottles of this IPA after reading the reviews here ... I had to travel to Wisconsin from the Twin Cities to pick it up.

A very nice IPA - not too hoppy, amber in color - almost like an Amber Ale. Very smooth, a little sweet to the taste.

Love the smell ... the aroma is lovely - my wife (not a beer drinker) could pick up on the smell from across the room - and loved the aroma.

Drinkability ... I think I could easily down several of these right now (but I won't) ...

I want more ... I am going to stock up on this one ...

For a beer with as many hops as this one has, you would expect it to be super bitter and dry but It's just the opposite. I have never drank this stuff below room temp. This stuff starts off very fruity with barley wine like qualities and finishes spicy. This beer is very full bodied and would be a nice addition to your Christmas Parties or Summer Cookouts. This stuff is perfect.

Poured into the Golden Chalice handed down from my German ancestor Hans.

Apperance: Hazy sweet pixie dust and fairy butterflies tinkling and dancing through the dark almost syrupy albeit languid fields.

Smell: Pungent, yet tender. These dark waters strangle the nostrils and do not hold back its forceful grasp without kicking and screaming. Every second of this free-wheeling head trip of a scent manages to conjure visions some would call a "carnal desire".

Taste: Freshly mowed grass at dusk on July. The maltiness is present, yet the hoppy nature of this beast tickles an arrangement of compacted symphonies for the expanding palate.

Mouthfeel: Its aural tentacles spread out and engulf the mouth in waves of dark melodic spirals and dissonant fuzz, washing over the palate ebbing and flowing like night tides.

Overall: A true work of art.

Great Taste and flavor. I had it from a bottle and it has been one of the best I had in a long time. I had the 60 Minute on Tap and saw this in the cooler and requested this. Best choice that I made. I just hope that I can find this at my distributor so I can enjoy this at home.

90 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery