2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

90 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

90 Minute IPA90 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute IPA "perhaps the best IPA in America." An imperial IPA best savored from a snifter, 90 Minute has a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate.

90 Minute IPA was the first beer we continuously hopped, allowing for a pungent -- but not crushing -- hop flavor.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2001)
View: Beers (138) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 90 Minute IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 10,462 | Reviews: 3,472 | Show All Ratings:
oracle

Indiana

On tap during Rich O's Lupulin Land 2004

This is the very first beer I've ever rated all 5s. It was absolutely magnicent from beginning to end.

Beer arrived in an english pint glass with a head so dense, I could have sculpted it with a putty knife. Excellent head retention with heavy lacing.
Beautiful deep amber with a hint of orange.

Smell was crisp clean hops with citrus predomitating, oranges and grapefruit. Also a hint of clove and honey.

Taste was simply outstanding. No other way to describe it. A burst of refreshing clean hops right from the get go, with a glorious middle of mild fruit. Extra dry clean finish. It's very hard to tell from the taste that this is a 9% abv beer.

Mouthfeel was excellent. Many beers this hoppy leave a long aftertaste that can seem to stay with you for days. Not this beer. Just the right amount of carbonation allows it to slip down easy with.

Extremely drinkable. It has me wondering how much it is to buy it directly in kegs.

10-12-2004 00:53:54 | More by oracle
connecticutpoet

Connecticut

Got to sample it on tap at the Connecticut River Brewfest. I was very excited, as the bottle was incredibly good.

This was a clear amber brew with a very big head, dense and foamy. It lasted quite a while.

The aroma was of hops. Complex, several kinds, layered and strong.

The taste was of intense hop bitterness, with not a lot of malt, and a long bitter slow finish.

What can I say? Better on tap than in the bottle. The closest thing to a perfect beer that I have had yet. It was beyond true description. I have GOT to find a bar that has this on tap, and make it my home. This would go well with cheese and crackers, nachos, and practically anything else you could think of.

11-01-2004 15:47:09 | More by connecticutpoet
nmyers

If you like hops this is the way to go. The boys at Dogfish head have made a great beer here. If you love hops this beer is for you. Personally the best IPA I have had. This beer has a great hop taste. I am really looking forward to trying the 120 min IPA from Dogfish Head.

04-17-2006 18:09:14 | More by nmyers
ejimhof

This may be the best American made beer of all time. IPA but with a touch of sweetness. High alcohol but very good taste. Everything about this beer is exceptional. If you see this on tap this should be your number one priority. Just remember that you can't drink very many of these and still drive home.

05-19-2007 01:42:27 | More by ejimhof
kjloewe

Arizona

This is a fantastic brew ! I emailed the the brewmaster at Dogfish and told him that I have now moved the Sierra Nevada Pale Ale to the rear of my fridge and eliminated Redhook ESB entirely..His reply ? "Bad for them, Good for us" !

Hop Heads of the world, your nectar has arrived.

11-04-2007 22:49:48 | More by kjloewe
tjfontaine

I just picked up my first 4 bottles of this IPA after reading the reviews here ... I had to travel to Wisconsin from the Twin Cities to pick it up.

A very nice IPA - not too hoppy, amber in color - almost like an Amber Ale. Very smooth, a little sweet to the taste.

Love the smell ... the aroma is lovely - my wife (not a beer drinker) could pick up on the smell from across the room - and loved the aroma.

Drinkability ... I think I could easily down several of these right now (but I won't) ...

I want more ... I am going to stock up on this one ...

07-05-2008 23:36:03 | More by tjfontaine
reignsong

Maine

The color to this beer is smooth, clear and well defined. Rather pretty to look at, like a brown eyed girl.

The smell is amazing! One of three beers I like to smell as much as I taste it, it literally smells like a greenhouse of flowers.

This is the bench mark of the IPA, the platinum standard. The hops are bitter/sweet well chosen for flavor, the balance of malt makes them taste sweet and floral with a little bite. This is how hops should taste in beer.

Since I like malty smooth beers with minimal tart I wanted to give 4.5 on mouthfeel just to mark something off, but it's actually a 5! It is actually the exact mouthfeel and IPA should have.

One pint fills you up, but a second beer is very tempting if you aren't too far under because it packs a good punch. Possibly the best American beer, no kidding. I hope this beer never changes, and becomes cheaper than Bud.

08-14-2008 17:53:53 | More by reignsong
GCGrant

Had on tap at Mentor Winking Lizard 10/2/08. Smells as good as it looks. First sip is sweet and then quite hoppy. Delicious. At 9% it's surprising how easy it is to drink this beer. Not just sip, but drink. Ok, 3 pints is the limit, but I would like to drink this all day. I just can't.

10-04-2008 21:55:00 | More by GCGrant
dalion037

I know that many on BA will "turn on their stools" when they hear this but I believe that DFH 90 is the best IPA on the market. It has a great aroma that you can taste at the back of your tongue from the first sniff. The taste will make you a fan and make you open up a second, third, and forth at the first sitting.

11-24-2008 03:58:36 | More by dalion037
havoc531

A- WOW. Poured into a pint to reveal a stunning reddish-gold flavor. The head puffed up to perfectly cap the pint glass- this one is a real beauty.

S- Toasty, malty, crisp. I swear I picked up a brandy-like aroma and a touch of caramel.

T- Exceptional. Not sweet, but not bitter. A touch hoppy and a touch malty... The aftertaste is almost as good as the drinking experience!

M- Lightly carbonated with a slightly syrupy aftertaste. No alcohol burn, just a slight warm mouthfeel.

D- I could easily polish off a 4-pack of bottles, but with 9%ABV that might lead to a headache later on. This beer is beautiful, it is really a treat to have found it. Very enjoyable and highly recommended.

04-16-2009 20:19:02 | More by havoc531
GweedoeBRew

This is the best beer brewed in the world today.

Appearance is a great copper color.... Smell... is a hard core balance of malt and hoppiness... you the aroma is so powerful that you can taste it before it hits you lips...

Taste... I don't know what to say... The touch of hops and malt hits you slowly and then drenches your palate....

mouthfeel is by far the best part of this beer... it has the body and weight of a strong ale... but leaves a great feel on your tounge as you drink it... that leaves that little bit of hops behind...

DRINKABILITY... THIS IS MY DESERTED ISLAND BEER!!!

06-18-2009 04:47:40 | More by GweedoeBRew
anzalonec

This is the best Imperial IPA I have had the pleasure of tasting time and time again, every beer connesuir should pick up at least a four-pack if not a case.

A: A reddish-orange ale with a substantial head from a pour that dissipated as slow as molasses. There's a layer of foam every time you take a sip.

S: Smells like a combination of fresh oranges and pine. I could really get a sense of the fruity bouquet that went into this.

T: Opens deep and warm and very orangey. There is a creaminess that ties all the taste incorporated in this brew all together. A slight hoppiness takes over at the end together with a flowery piney taste which is a change from the strong malty backbone this beer presents.

M: Creamy and light to medium bodied. There is a very silky mouthfeel here with a bit of bite from the carbonation.

D: This beer is something wonderful and is really making a strong pull for me to join the lighter side. An amazing example of the double/Imperial IPA style that I wouldn't mind enjoying again and again.

09-05-2009 01:39:19 | More by anzalonec
jimmyvegas

Poured from a 12oz bottle. Based on the bottled date about 4 months old.

Pours a beautiful golden color with light head.

Drinks very smooth and the alcohol is not very noticable for a 9% abv brew.

Slightly sweet taste with citrus and honey flavors. Great hop flavor.

Well balanced and very drinkable. Great well rounded beer. Much better than the 60 minute and not overly sweet like the 120 minute. To me this is the best DFH IPA.

My favorite IPA of all brewers and one of my top ten beers of all time.

02-14-2010 03:21:25 | More by jimmyvegas
jmfc8237

Delaware

A- a golden/amber color with true head retension. About a 1" head with a bone white color that yields a wavy lacing that subsides into a sticky spotted trace of legs.

S-strong esters and a very hoppy backbone filled with piney, earthy, and mild floral notes. Small amounts of biscuit and sweet bread are evident with some dark fruit barely coming through.

T-the hop oils attack your taste buds in a aggressive manner that yields quickly to unreal amounts of alternate flavour. My tastebuds are confused!! It takes generous pulls of this sweet nectar to even begin to grasp its complexity. I love the rich doughy forefront that is immediatly tackled by hop oils and fruity esters. Figs, caramel, raisins, cake and piney evervescence meld together like a monument to double IPA.

M/D- one word- awesome

03-30-2010 04:01:56 | More by jmfc8237
ryan58813

Oklahoma

My favorite IPA...so far.

Crisp bright bite with mellow smoth aftertones. Rich flavor without taking your face off with every sip. An IPA that is strangley difficult to drink just one. Great color, great clarity. This is what IPAs should be in my book.

05-12-2010 14:37:32 | More by ryan58813
SHODriver

A: poured from a bottle into a Great Divide Willi glass. Light copper color with a finger of head from a modest pour. Beautiful bubbles are all over in this beer and maintaining the head. Absolutely gorgeous looking beer.
S: Delicious scent of citric hops and caramel. Very sweet on the nose but you can tell this one has some bitterness to it.
T: Amazing malty caramel flavor with enough bitterness to keep it all in check with some earthy citrus flavors and a bitter granny apple skin flavor after the swallow. There's a reason I brought eight of these back with me.
M: Full bodied with good carbonation and some stickyness from all the malt.
D: Although it isn't wise or doctor recommended I'd drink this stuff in place of water

Overall: A very well balanced and tasty Double IPA that I probably should have bought more of in place of some other beers(Magic Hat Hex). If you like IPAs this is one to have on your bucket list.

09-27-2010 23:59:14 | More by SHODriver
thebrood1987

Reviewed this on tap now reviewing it out of the bottle. It smells like that piney hop smell that I'd expect out of a nicely hopped IPA plus with some fruit smells probably from the mixture of hops they use and the fruity yeast strain. The taste is that piney and citrus fruit flavor combined with a thicker more robust roasted malt flavor than the 60 minute. It still has that same malt flavor just a lot more of it so it comes off as richer tasting. The hops leave a nice resinous bite that mixes in with the citrus hops they use and that fruity alcohol yeast thing they have going on. This beer is amazing and one of the best tasting and ridiculously balanced Imperial IPA's ever. On tap it had a bit more bite but I'm sure if you get this super fresh in the bottle it will have that same effect. All in all one of my favorite beers of all time.

11-15-2010 02:55:23 | More by thebrood1987
nickkraft9

For a beer with as many hops as this one has, you would expect it to be super bitter and dry but It's just the opposite. I have never drank this stuff below room temp. This stuff starts off very fruity with barley wine like qualities and finishes spicy. This beer is very full bodied and would be a nice addition to your Christmas Parties or Summer Cookouts. This stuff is perfect.

12-02-2010 20:24:25 | More by nickkraft9
calcio360jrd

This is still my favorite beer, nothing has come close to the first time i tried this beer a couple of year ago!

Amazing color, feel on the palatte, and overall taste that i think defines the genre of imperial IPA.

If you don't get dogfish head where you live, trade to get this beer, it is the best!

03-25-2011 15:28:49 | More by calcio360jrd
Mozz74

Awesome Beer, but hard to find on tap. I usually treat myself to a four pack.
Taster is amazing. It as some depth but goes down quite smooth.
Smell, Hoppy, but still smooth. Smell could turn someone away. THey will have to try and see how smooth it is going down your throat.
ABV= DRUNK!
I LOVE THIS BEER!

05-02-2011 23:22:27 | More by Mozz74
STKPICR0720

Alabama

This beer was bottled 6/10/11 and I was able to consume it on 7/2/11 allthough I had gotten it a week before on the 6/25/11.

(WOW) I had a buddy bring me some down from Pennsylvania. This has now become my favorite beer. Unreal at how hoppy this brew is. Living here in Alabama we are surrounded by pines and I thought the people from Dogfish Head had put one in my beer. Very piney, floral aroma that has some of the greatest hop smells ever bottled.

This beer is 9% abv and if you told me it was 5%abv, I would have believed that before seeing it actually is 9% abv. This brew does not drink like a 9% abv. It does however drink like the best DIPA you will ever have. It really is sick at how smooth this brew actually is. Be careful when drinking this one and remember it is 9%.

I have to tip my hat to the people at DFH you truly have created a masterpiece and I am so glad I was able to try this. Thank You DFH

Cheers

07-05-2011 17:21:35 | More by STKPICR0720
hippityhophead24

Tennessee

A: Pours a beautiful golden golden golden orange color with a nice white frothy head. Good retention to the last sip. Nice beautiful lacing as well.

S: Large burst of citrus. Grapefruit, orange zest, little pineapple (I get that a lot with DIPA's for some reason), little peachy, little piney. Slight malt in the background.

T: Taste like I hope that Jesus would. You can tell how oily the hops are in this brew by the rich hop character it gives off. So many flavors comin' atcha! Hops, pine, malt, booze, little more pine, little citrus, little bit more booze, then BAM comes the fruit and malt again. Smooooth finish.

M: Smooth, medium, and rich. Not crisp, just smooth.

O: I LOVE this beer. I could drink it everyday...and would if I could afford it. It is just very well balanced, beautiful in color, rich in taste, and worth every penny.

Serving type: growler

09-08-2011 03:13:19 | More by hippityhophead24
CyclingLush666

This is one of my all time favorite beers, and I buy it almost every week. It may be expensive but is no doubt worth the price, especially at 9 % you don't need many.

The appearance is a dark brown amber. With a nice thick white head that stays on the top of the beer throughout. I would say an impressive appearance and could be spotted out as a nice IPA a mile away.

The smell is very sweet just like its taste. You can smell the hops and malt, but its not overpowering. It smells how it tastes, delicious and sweet, but not too sweet. I like bitter IPA's but this one is not bitter at all and still packs a huge punch. Dogfish obviously has some master brewers on their hands.

The mouthfeel is great too, very smooth and goes down easy. It is pretty heavy, so if you put away a few of these get ready to feel a nice beer stone in your stomach.

Go buy this beer now if you have never had it. It may seem pricey that a 4 pack is around 12 bucks. But once you try it you'll be hooked and realize all you need is a 4 pack.

10-29-2011 01:40:35 | More by CyclingLush666
Bernardkowalski

Absolutely one of my favorite beers!! honestly can go good with anything, but you are better off enjoying this beer by itself. it has so much too offer, such great combination between the yeast and malt's making this an outstanding brew. you can put this on my list of top beers.

02-16-2013 23:17:12 | More by Bernardkowalski
flydudehsv

Bottled 4 pack. Light amber, clear beer has lacy thinnish head. Hoppy and malty nose: wine gums, floral notes, watermelon, strawberry, some citrus. Caramel-topped maltiness with some biscuity toastedness. Intensly malty and thick, still not too sweeet. Light dryfruit notes. Strong but really round bitterness. Amazingly smooth palate, full body. Delicious DIPA.

03-14-2013 07:32:49 | More by flydudehsv