2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

90 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

90 Minute IPA90 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute IPA "perhaps the best IPA in America." An imperial IPA best savored from a snifter, 90 Minute has a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate.

90 Minute IPA was the first beer we continuously hopped, allowing for a pungent -- but not crushing -- hop flavor.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2001)
View: Beers (138) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 90 Minute IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 10,473 | Reviews: 3,472 | Show All Ratings:
Go0ber

1.1/5  rDev -74.3%

What's ther to say about this beer that hasn't already been said about Obama. It's empty promises and positive reviews don't give justice for the pure evil and harshness that is this beer. Imaging fermented raisens mixed with vodka. That's what this beer tastes like. The bitterness isn't bracing like a GOOD Ipa. Instead it cuts your taste buds open only to allow the horrible taste to hit you full swing. (like pouring lemon juice into an open wound).

I'm very thankful I bought one bottle of this for a little over $2. I was only able to stomach half before pouring the devil necter down the drain. As I watched it fall into the depths of hell, I noticed the dark color and thick consistency not unsimilar to that of a cough syrup. Truly symbolic for the evil that this over rated beer brings.

06-22-2012 19:31:13 | More by Go0ber
prosper

Alberta (Canada)

1.8/5  rDev -57.9%

Pours a crystal clear amber colour with a very slightly off-white head. Disappears quickly, leaves some lacing.

Smells of sticky, fruity malts, and hops - but not as strong as expected.

Taste is wrong. Reminds me of rubbing alcohol - pungent alcohol, phenolic solvents. Almost belgian levels of malt-fruitiness. Melted plastic. Hot on the back of the throat - fuesels. A drain pour; yech!

Other than the foul taste, the body was decent, but the nasty flavours killed any drinkability.

This is a well-regarded beer, so I can only assume I got a bad bottle.

08-03-2009 03:32:16 | More by prosper
beer456

1.94/5  rDev -54.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Pretty disappointed with this one. Not sure why its rated so high on this website. Not only is it "not special"at all but its kinda a lame beer. Very rarely do I completely dislike a beer but this beer was simply dislikable. Perhaps my expectations were too high but this did not taste like a premium beer.

04-05-2013 14:34:50 | More by beer456
Sorvahr

Tennessee

1.95/5  rDev -54.4%

I purchased this beer at Grape and Grain Wines and Spirits in Memphis, TN. The label was interesting, with a rough paper surface and a design and theme somewhere between "handcrafted" and "homemade" with intentionally misaligned letters and simple graphics. The beer itself, however, proved to be rather underwhelming.

A: Golden in color with moderate clarity and some head. Pretty typical for a pale ale.

S: Immediately I noticed that this beer smelled fruity. Very, very fruity, sort of like an inexpensive red wine. The aroma was bright and carried for a considerable distance. The smell was one-dimensional, with no subtlety or additional smell besides fruit and a bit of hops.

T: The initial taste has an overwhelming flavor of grapefruit that buries most of the other flavors in the beer. A bright, spritzy bitter flavor struggles to rise above the cloying grapefruit-juice taste but doesn't become prominent until the first grapefruit tidal wave recedes somewhat, and is accompanied by a warming alcohol flavor that becomes stronger in the finish--at 9% ABV this is a beer of considerable potency.

M: Average. Not too thin, not too thick, not noteworthy enough to draw your attention away from the bizarre grapefruit taste.

D: Difficult. The extreme ester/fruit flavor is loud, sweet, and in-your-face, making drinking it something of a slog. I would not recommend this beer to anyone who is not a big fan of fruity-tasting ales.

Overall, this is a very coarse and very one-dimensional beer with almost no subtlety at all. It takes one aspect of an ale and cranks it up to ridiculous levels at the expense of everything else. If this is a typical example of Dogfish Head's product I honestly cannot understand all the praise they get. It's like a comic book--big loud bright colors and lots of superficial flash, but no subtlety or balance.

03-20-2011 18:26:07 | More by Sorvahr
Jarod

2.08/5  rDev -51.4%

It poured into the glass a reddish light copper color. Clear. There was very little head and it did not stay around. The smell had hints of hops, but that was really it. The taste reflected the smell. Hops were present but that is pretty much it as far as flavors. The alcohol taste was present as well. The beer finished as it started not that great and a small aftertaste. Surprised me, that with the other brews that I tried that day from this brewery, that this one was so different and not good.

11-26-2002 10:07:34 | More by Jarod
McDizzle

Rhode Island

2.08/5  rDev -51.4%

I'm sorry, but I don't know what people see in this beer. I guess it is all a matter of preference. My preference is that sweet and beer were never meant to be, at least not like this. The taste was unbearable. Took 2 sips, stopped. Came back for another sip and stopped. Poured into a glass, tried another sip and down the drain it went. The taste is not something I enjoyed in the least. Give me a blue moon belgian white or a sam boston lager or something else any day.

That being said, the appearance and mouthfeel were nice, the smell was similar to the taste which made me want to wretch.

08-13-2010 02:55:19 | More by McDizzle
PDXHops

South Carolina

2.1/5  rDev -50.9%

12 oz bottle poured into a Duvel tulip.

Pours a light see-thru amber with 1.5 fingers of off-white head. This settles down in short order to a skim. Little lacing is left.

Toffee, brown sugar and molasses, oh my. Much to my surprise, this 'imperial IPA' turns out to be a real malt bomb (after my experience with Burton Baton, maybe I shouldn't be so surprised). There's a decent level of citrusy bitterness fighting for attention, but it's drowned out by a load of sticky sweetness. The hops simply aren't given a chance to shine. Medium-bodied without sufficient carbonation to pry loose the sweetness from the palate.

Overall impression: Disappointing take on the style.

03-15-2010 20:38:47 | More by PDXHops
Zimbo

United Kingdom (Scotland)

2.1/5  rDev -50.9%

This beer looks very impressive. Lovely rich golden colour, a heady hoppy nose, beaucoup de tiny beading and one of the thickest heads I have seen in a very long time. So obviously so well made.

You can feel the potency as you bring the beer to your lips. And then everything goes pearshaped. When the beer makes contact with your tongue you are hit with a sickly cloying sappy body which just smothers all of the beer's positive qualities. I am sure there are ale conners around the world wagging their fingers in indignation. This just so obviously lacks balance and is too much of an attention seeker for me. Give me their 60 minute any day. Far less than the sum of its parts. Carlsberg Special Brew anyone?

Will need to give this a few more tries.

09-01-2010 23:07:09 | More by Zimbo
Grabbin2nd

2.15/5  rDev -49.8%

From notes: 9/6/08 Dogfish head 90 min IPA froma 12 oz. bottle 9% abv.

First off let me tell you I had really high hopes for dogfish head. Being from the west coast this is the kind of East coast beer you really only read about until a few years ago due to better distribution. Now i have my hands on it...

-Flat out too malty
-Not enough hops on the finish
-Nose is too malty
-Overall it is a beer I would never, ever seek out again.

I bought 2 cases of this crap only to be thoroughly disappointed. I'm a hop head so i was expecting a hop bomb. What I got was a beer that tasted worse than my first girlfriend.

11-22-2008 23:27:34 | More by Grabbin2nd
IPAguy2009

Oregon

2.17/5  rDev -49.3%

Bought a single bottle of supposidly "one of the best IPAs out there" for $2.89. Had it once before but I don't remember it. Poured into standard pint glass. Here goes.

A- good clarity, nice amber color. Wouldn't really suspect a DIPA from the looks of it.

S- slight burnt malty caramel smell. This takes a few tries with the nose however to put a label on the smell. I can detect the 9% abv in there. Lil brown sugar as well. Very slight hop smell if any. Little sad there as it is an DIPA. The glass where you take a sip becomes sticky after you take a sip as its so full of sugary malt!

T- short sweetness followed by a seige of unidentified bitterness then turns sweet again. Slight bitterness sticks around but yet again it is a very shapeless bitterness. I don't know guys I'm not tasting anything that is getting me too excited...

M- fairly thick and at 9% abv you wouldn't wanna have more than one, two absolute tops. I might add that I can already feel the 9% very heavily and am only halfway through it.

O- in my opinion this beer can be summed up with one phrase " oh-ver-rated clap clap, clap clap clap." I can't see how the bros gave this such a high score as well as so many BA users. I just don't see the hype here guys. Its decent and will get you buzzin but there are soooo many better DIPAs than this one!! I wouldn't recommend it unfortunately. Can't distinguish any particluar hop character from either smell or taste. The only part of this beer I'm enjoying is the malt character, but that's not why I buy DIPAs, its for the hop character. Anyways, prost

12-31-2011 02:32:54 | More by IPAguy2009
Adeeez

2.21/5  rDev -48.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Honestly do not get why this is rated so well. I think in 2013 there are plenty of better choices out there!!! Boozy tasting, not complex at all. The best thing about this beer is the look and mouth feel ! The smell is just not anything to be excited about.

04-05-2013 00:24:24 | More by Adeeez
RedwoodGeorge

2.23/5  rDev -47.9%

What a letdown in all phases! The beer pours a rather tepid golden brown with very little carbonation. No head to speak of and no lacing.

Aroma is dank. Not sure what hop they use but it's not one I recognize and not one I ever hope to come across again. Smell is somewhat like old socks or pumpkin - kind of a funky note pervades.

As is often the case, taste follows nose and the funk continues with each sip. Malt notes are present, primarily bready notes but the overwhelming taste is some sort of bitter sour rotten vegetable flavor. Very, very close to a diacetyl buttery note but not quite; I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if this was the offshoot of an unhappy yeast.

Mouthfeel is undercabonated and left an oily coating on the palate. Nothing to invite another sip other than the desperate hope that somehow magically the beer in my glass might have changed into something palatable.

All in all this rates a solid 'not impressed' This can't possibly be the same beer that most folk rate as 'outstanding'. I can only hope it's a bad batch that was somehow infected. Frankly, skunking would have improved the flavor.

Thanks (sort of) to rapopoda for going to the trouble of hand carrying this out to the Golden State.

10-02-2005 04:53:56 | More by RedwoodGeorge
Deconstructionis

West Virginia

2.23/5  rDev -47.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Dogfish Head may be the most over-hyped brewery on the planet. The 120 minute ale is simply torture to drink and a perfect example of "too much of a good thing,,," I like spicy food and rare meat. However, I grasp the fallacy in thinking that therefore raw pork and 20 habaneros is a great meal.

This is much better but still far from a good beer. I love IPAs and other hop heavy styles but there is a a raw quality to this beer that reminds more of green wood than anything else. The alcohol is dialed way back from the 120 but is still far too prevalent throughout. Behind the hops and alcohol and pine wood you can actually taste some malt in this one and it lacks the sickening raw sugar taste of the 120. However being a better drink than the 120 is akin to being a better eat than grubs.

To me this is just another overpriced bad beer reliant on image and the tendency of people to want to like things that set them apart from the masses. Sometimes, the masses are right -- people are wasting money becayse they put status over good taste.

08-29-2006 13:05:18 | More by Deconstructionis
aaroncoop

2.3/5  rDev -46.3%

Initially I was enjoying this beer - the aroma was pleasant and the relatively strong hoppy bitterness helped to mellow the sweetness. As the glass progressed, however, the alcohol content of this beer overpowered the aftertaste and it lost its depth. Ultimately, I was left to "enjoy" a rubbing alcohol flavor at the end of each sip. Not good.

07-08-2010 04:02:54 | More by aaroncoop
adamette

2.33/5  rDev -45.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

On tap at Winking Lizard in Mentor, Ohio about 45 minutes ago. Poured into a pint glass.

A Minimal one inch head with tree bark brown body, plenty of light visiible through it.

S This is hop city! Really, though, I simply smell bitter hops.

T Overpoweringly bitter. Tastes like I am chewing on hop plant itself. It is too much imo.

M Full, harsh.

D Not good. I can certainly only have one of these. It is just too bitter.

Notes: I had bought a "4-pack" of these about a month ago and (of course) tasted it but had not recorded my thoughts at that time. Saw it tonight on tap and decided to rate it properly. I suppose hopheads would love this but I do not. If you like hops, no need to look further than this beer for satisfaction.

09-25-2008 22:20:08 | More by adamette
blatherbeard

2.38/5  rDev -44.4%

Another live review, but this time back to my darker roots.

This is my first dogfish try. For 9.99 a four pack, im hoping its good.

It pours well, a bit of head but dissipates in about 10 minutes. Just long enough to look pretty but not annoy me. The lightish brown color is awesome and clearer than i thought a darker beer could be. I smell the hops, almost as much as the imperial i had from sam adams. Feels good in the mouth, BUT, the taste is ...unfortunately awful. It tastes to me like a bitter burned beer.

I had to put the drinkablility higher than the taste as i did drink 3 of the four pack, at almost ten bucks i had to at least drink more than one.

I have to say i will try another dogfish but not the 90 minute ipa again.

01-16-2008 00:32:45 | More by blatherbeard
rjplumer

Rhode Island

2.38/5  rDev -44.4%

I tried this one after seeing Dogfish Head on Beer Wars. It has a nice fruity aroma. Has a deep amber color that is slightly cloudy. The carbonation has a nice zing to your tongue. Perhaps it's me but the taste just doesn't do much for me. The taste seems a bit fruity but sour. This is my third bottle because I wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something after all the rave reviews I've seen about this one. To be honest I'm disappointed in this one. It isn't bad but I doubt I'd go out of my way to have this one again.

12-18-2010 08:10:58 | More by rjplumer
SillyCheez

2.38/5  rDev -44.4%

I have been drinking alot of craft beers lately and I am new to this site. This is my first review here.

Bottled on 12/03/10

A: 3/4" head into sme decent lacing. slightly darkend ambr color.

S: maybe my favorite part of this beer. A piney smell, with a back bone of of citrus and tropical fruit. the piney-ness mellows as the beer warms, and the fruity fragrance reigns.

T: not my thing here. While I liked the smell, the flavor is almost a cloying pine followed by bitterness to me. I get a little of the citrus, but not enough to balance out for me.

M: very little carbonation. coats my mouth and leaves a stickiness I find a bit unusual.

D: I can see why this is popular, but just not my thing. Goes down well for a 9% though. Would not buy again, but may drink if available.

01-11-2011 03:46:49 | More by SillyCheez
munizr22

2.4/5  rDev -43.9%

This beer has a bitter after-taste to me. I took several mouthfuls of it, to give a fair try, but I could not get over the bitterness. The color is welcoming, the smell hit me with the hops, which equaled the bitter taste that I got. After trying this and the 60 minute, I soon realized that IPAs were not for me.

12-28-2010 20:56:34 | More by munizr22
bcastine

New Hampshire

2.42/5  rDev -43.5%

A: color reminds me of butterscotch starts with a nice head the dissipates to a skimming with some spotty lacing

S: I get darker fruit notes, raisin, alcohol

T: holy malt batman! Where's the hops! Citrus flavors are non-existent, more plum and raisin, malt is very toasty and sweet, slight hop bitterness none of which shows itself up front, 90IBU, no way this is 90ibu's! Way off balance. Alcohol burn, like straight whiskey and hits you 20 seconds after a sip, and burns for minutes after. This could cure a cough.

M: lots of body for the style, pretty sticky.

D: about as drinkable as straight cheap bourbon.

I love IMP IPA's and can't even begin to understand the buzz about this beer. In fact it makes me mad when its held up as the example of an east coast imp IPA, there are numerous better east coast ipa's. The alcohol stays on the palate for multiple minutes after drinking. I've had 90 min. now at least 6 times to try to be fair on the review and give it a chance and end up always drain pouring. There is no other imp ipa or ipa on the planet i'd choose DF 90 over.

09-01-2009 17:57:07 | More by bcastine
soultrain

2.5/5  rDev -41.6%

12 oz. bottle poured into an Ommegang chalice.

A-Clear orange liquid, 1/2" head quickly dissapates to a sticky froth that leaves excellent lacing. Unseen carbonation.
S-Smells like pine and alcohol fumes.
T-Pine then fruit juice (maybe apricot) then grass/evergreen then finishes with alcohol and syrupy sweetness combined....you know, I was expecting a hop bomb, as anything that's hopped continuously for 90 minutes should be really hoppy, right? Right? Hmmm...., or maybe it's really hoppy with hops that don't depart a bitter, citric twang...this does have a bitterness, of course, but it's of the kind that I can sleep through. It says on the label that it is balanced by a "ridiculous amout of 2- row barley", I think the malts are undetectable except in the taste of sweetness. The hops balance this sweetness, I suppose, but they are really not giving the hop presence I expect out of an IMPERIAL IPA. Instead of hop burps, I get alcohol burps, go figure...Medicinal aftertaste isn't that great either, IMHO.
M-I have to say, the mouthfeel in this beer is superb, I would classify it as medium/full, and didn't expect it to be so thick. Unseen, microscopic carbonation aids in this, i think.
D-One is plenty for me. Too alchoholic/syrup-sweet for me, or maybe there's too many Stone Ruinations under the bridge...I'm pretty disappointed, but glad I tried it though.

CRUX: INTERESTING TAKE ON DIPA. I think I have to resample this perfumy cordial when I become more Beer-sophisticated...I've had friends tell me that it's fantastic on-tap...

04-27-2006 21:28:34 | More by soultrain
SilentSabre

North Dakota

2.5/5  rDev -41.6%

Oh my. What a dissappointment this was. Sixty minute is far better IMO than this. It poured a rose copper colour with a nice looking off-white head. The smell was pretty hoppy, as I had expected. The taste was very hoppy, but in a bad way. This reminded me of cologne almost; chemical-like. Very unpleasant, and I was certain I was going to like this. Mouthfeel is a bit thick for what this is. In fact, it almost feels oily.
I must say, this is the first thing from DFH that I have had that I didn't enjoy. Thanks to Ding for allowing me the chance to taste the 90min. Even though I didn't care for it, I always like the opportunity to try a new beer!

03-06-2007 00:21:18 | More by SilentSabre
beernut7

2.53/5  rDev -40.9%

This dark red/gold brew presents with a thick lasting head and exudes the strong scent of hops and alcohol. Taste is reminiscent of a strong ale but with a bucket load of bittering hops. This is a harshly sweet and very bitter ale. Not very drinkable and not to be consumed in large quantities. I have had one other "imperial IPA" and 90 minute does not compare to it.

06-09-2002 14:30:01 | More by beernut7
philipquarles

Connecticut

2.53/5  rDev -40.9%

Pours a nice clear copper with few bubbles and a medium, off-white head. Nice retention and lacing. Smells strongly of bitter hops and sweet earthy grain. Slightly metallic. Taste is bitter, citric, hops with a lot of strong, sweet, biscuity malt and some spice. I appreciate that DFH tries to counter the hops with malt, but rather than coexisting to create a nice balance, 90 minute is simultaneously a hop-bomb and a malt-bomb. It's certainly very flavorful, but very disjointed and seriously unrefined. The malt at least gives it a thick feel. Too big to be very drinkable.

09-05-2008 22:48:20 | More by philipquarles
RodBurg

Missouri

2.53/5  rDev -40.9%

Found this in a four pack at Old Town Liquor in Temecula. I'm assuming it was pretty fresh because I pulled it off a pallet that had just been rolled out onto the floor. Now to the beer. Pours a very dark golden color, slightly hazy, decent tan head and lacing. I can tell this stuff is thick just by looking at it.

Initial smell is surprising. I'm expecting to get smacked across the face with hops but instead get hit with a heavy caramel-malt scent. With a few more whiffs I can pick out the hops.

Tastes of strong caramel and biscuity malt and alcohol. Has a thick, syrupy mouthfeel. Bitter finish.

I'm still trying to figure out where all the hops are in this. Not very drinkable and the heavy malt sweetness is very unbalanced. I personally don't think this should be called an IPA.

11-10-2008 21:00:22 | More by RodBurg