90 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

90 Minute IPA90 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2001

Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute IPA "perhaps the best IPA in America." An imperial IPA best savored from a snifter, 90 Minute has a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate.

90 Minute IPA was the first beer we continuously hopped, allowing for a pungent -- but not crushing -- hop flavor.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 90 Minute IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 14,276 | Reviews: 3,844

Sorry folks - Maybe I got a bad one, but this is one of the single most disgusting beers I've ever tasted. I've had my share of drain-pours, but this is the first beer that I've ever spit out after one sip, looked at the bottle and said "Da fuq?".

Ironically, just before cracking this open, I watched the brewmaster from Dogfish head on a NatGeo special called "EAT: The Story of Food" ragging on the German Purity Law - the Reinheitsgebot - calling it "... equivalent to censorship".

Yeah, like Weihenstephaner. THAT, for me, is REAL beer. Not some twee, pretentious, over-done crap that is made with bile from warthogs and hops that can only be cultivated by Eccentrica Gallumbits, the triple-breasted whore of Eroticon 6.

"World Class"!?

Da fuq!?

There's an initially deceptive smoothness that ultimately becomes overpowered by cloying bitterness. The more I drink, the stronger the bitterness becomes. This beer lacks balance. I don't like it at all.

A swill so foul I would take the disgusting Natural Light over it any day.

1.12/5  rDev -73.8%

What's ther to say about this beer that hasn't already been said about Obama. It's empty promises and positive reviews don't give justice for the pure evil and harshness that is this beer. Imaging fermented raisens mixed with vodka. That's what this beer tastes like. The bitterness isn't bracing like a GOOD Ipa. Instead it cuts your taste buds open only to allow the horrible taste to hit you full swing. (like pouring lemon juice into an open wound).

I'm very thankful I bought one bottle of this for a little over $2. I was only able to stomach half before pouring the devil necter down the drain. As I watched it fall into the depths of hell, I noticed the dark color and thick consistency not unsimilar to that of a cough syrup. Truly symbolic for the evil that this over rated beer brings.

1.5/5  rDev -65%

May have tried IPAs too soon, have yet to acquire the taste for them unfortunately :(

1.86/5  rDev -56.5%

Malt and no hop balence. .more like a stong ale than a ipa

1.88/5  rDev -56.1%

I did not care for the malt make up, nor the apricot smell and taste. I prefer a west coast style hoppy citrusy and bitter imperial. I have not been impressed with dogfish head, which isn't to say they're bad, just not for me.

1.89/5  rDev -55.8%

IPA. YUCK. Never again will I consume liquid bitterness that isn't coffee.

1.9/5  rDev -55.6%

Pours a crystal clear amber colour with a very slightly off-white head. Disappears quickly, leaves some lacing.

Smells of sticky, fruity malts, and hops - but not as strong as expected.

Taste is wrong. Reminds me of rubbing alcohol - pungent alcohol, phenolic solvents. Almost belgian levels of malt-fruitiness. Melted plastic. Hot on the back of the throat - fuesels. A drain pour; yech!

Other than the foul taste, the body was decent, but the nasty flavours killed any drinkability.

This is a well-regarded beer, so I can only assume I got a bad bottle.

1.98/5  rDev -53.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Pretty disappointed with this one. Not sure why its rated so high on this website. Not only is it "not special"at all but its kinda a lame beer. Very rarely do I completely dislike a beer but this beer was simply dislikable. Perhaps my expectations were too high but this did not taste like a premium beer.

1.99/5  rDev -53.5%

I purchased this beer at Grape and Grain Wines and Spirits in Memphis, TN. The label was interesting, with a rough paper surface and a design and theme somewhere between "handcrafted" and "homemade" with intentionally misaligned letters and simple graphics. The beer itself, however, proved to be rather underwhelming.

A: Golden in color with moderate clarity and some head. Pretty typical for a pale ale.

S: Immediately I noticed that this beer smelled fruity. Very, very fruity, sort of like an inexpensive red wine. The aroma was bright and carried for a considerable distance. The smell was one-dimensional, with no subtlety or additional smell besides fruit and a bit of hops.

T: The initial taste has an overwhelming flavor of grapefruit that buries most of the other flavors in the beer. A bright, spritzy bitter flavor struggles to rise above the cloying grapefruit-juice taste but doesn't become prominent until the first grapefruit tidal wave recedes somewhat, and is accompanied by a warming alcohol flavor that becomes stronger in the finish--at 9% ABV this is a beer of considerable potency.

M: Average. Not too thin, not too thick, not noteworthy enough to draw your attention away from the bizarre grapefruit taste.

D: Difficult. The extreme ester/fruit flavor is loud, sweet, and in-your-face, making drinking it something of a slog. I would not recommend this beer to anyone who is not a big fan of fruity-tasting ales.

Overall, this is a very coarse and very one-dimensional beer with almost no subtlety at all. It takes one aspect of an ale and cranks it up to ridiculous levels at the expense of everything else. If this is a typical example of Dogfish Head's product I honestly cannot understand all the praise they get. It's like a comic book--big loud bright colors and lots of superficial flash, but no subtlety or balance.

On tap in a glass, interesting mix of smells and flavors, but really does not have the traditional character of an IPA or DIPA. Mix of sweet malt and bitter hops with a grapefruit "pith" aftertaste - not a good flavor lingering at the end.

2.09/5  rDev -51.2%

It poured into the glass a reddish light copper color. Clear. There was very little head and it did not stay around. The smell had hints of hops, but that was really it. The taste reflected the smell. Hops were present but that is pretty much it as far as flavors. The alcohol taste was present as well. The beer finished as it started not that great and a small aftertaste. Surprised me, that with the other brews that I tried that day from this brewery, that this one was so different and not good.

2.11/5  rDev -50.7%

12 oz bottle poured into a Duvel tulip.

Pours a light see-thru amber with 1.5 fingers of off-white head. This settles down in short order to a skim. Little lacing is left.

Toffee, brown sugar and molasses, oh my. Much to my surprise, this 'imperial IPA' turns out to be a real malt bomb (after my experience with Burton Baton, maybe I shouldn't be so surprised). There's a decent level of citrusy bitterness fighting for attention, but it's drowned out by a load of sticky sweetness. The hops simply aren't given a chance to shine. Medium-bodied without sufficient carbonation to pry loose the sweetness from the palate.

Overall impression: Disappointing take on the style.

2.12/5  rDev -50.5%

I can respect it, but not my cup of tea when it come to IPAs, too pungent. IMO

2.16/5  rDev -49.5%

I'm sorry, but I don't know what people see in this beer. I guess it is all a matter of preference. My preference is that sweet and beer were never meant to be, at least not like this. The taste was unbearable. Took 2 sips, stopped. Came back for another sip and stopped. Poured into a glass, tried another sip and down the drain it went. The taste is not something I enjoyed in the least. Give me a blue moon belgian white or a sam boston lager or something else any day.

That being said, the appearance and mouthfeel were nice, the smell was similar to the taste which made me want to wretch.

2.19/5  rDev -48.8%

Bought a single bottle of supposidly "one of the best IPAs out there" for $2.89. Had it once before but I don't remember it. Poured into standard pint glass. Here goes.

A- good clarity, nice amber color. Wouldn't really suspect a DIPA from the looks of it.

S- slight burnt malty caramel smell. This takes a few tries with the nose however to put a label on the smell. I can detect the 9% abv in there. Lil brown sugar as well. Very slight hop smell if any. Little sad there as it is an DIPA. The glass where you take a sip becomes sticky after you take a sip as its so full of sugary malt!

T- short sweetness followed by a seige of unidentified bitterness then turns sweet again. Slight bitterness sticks around but yet again it is a very shapeless bitterness. I don't know guys I'm not tasting anything that is getting me too excited...

M- fairly thick and at 9% abv you wouldn't wanna have more than one, two absolute tops. I might add that I can already feel the 9% very heavily and am only halfway through it.

O- in my opinion this beer can be summed up with one phrase " oh-ver-rated clap clap, clap clap clap." I can't see how the bros gave this such a high score as well as so many BA users. I just don't see the hype here guys. Its decent and will get you buzzin but there are soooo many better DIPAs than this one!! I wouldn't recommend it unfortunately. Can't distinguish any particluar hop character from either smell or taste. The only part of this beer I'm enjoying is the malt character, but that's not why I buy DIPAs, its for the hop character. Anyways, prost

2.2/5  rDev -48.6%

From notes: 9/6/08 Dogfish head 90 min IPA froma 12 oz. bottle 9% abv.

First off let me tell you I had really high hopes for dogfish head. Being from the west coast this is the kind of East coast beer you really only read about until a few years ago due to better distribution. Now i have my hands on it...

-Flat out too malty
-Not enough hops on the finish
-Nose is too malty
-Overall it is a beer I would never, ever seek out again.

I bought 2 cases of this crap only to be thoroughly disappointed. I'm a hop head so i was expecting a hop bomb. What I got was a beer that tasted worse than my first girlfriend.

2.21/5  rDev -48.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Honestly do not get why this is rated so well. I think in 2013 there are plenty of better choices out there!!! Boozy tasting, not complex at all. The best thing about this beer is the look and mouth feel ! The smell is just not anything to be excited about.

2.23/5  rDev -47.9%

This beer looks very impressive. Lovely rich golden colour, a heady hoppy nose, beaucoup de tiny beading and one of the thickest heads I have seen in a very long time. So obviously so well made.

You can feel the potency as you bring the beer to your lips. And then everything goes pearshaped. When the beer makes contact with your tongue you are hit with a sickly cloying sappy body which just smothers all of the beer's positive qualities. I am sure there are ale conners around the world wagging their fingers in indignation. This just so obviously lacks balance and is too much of an attention seeker for me. Give me their 60 minute any day. Far less than the sum of its parts. Carlsberg Special Brew anyone?

Will need to give this a few more tries.

2.26/5  rDev -47.2%

What a letdown in all phases! The beer pours a rather tepid golden brown with very little carbonation. No head to speak of and no lacing.

Aroma is dank. Not sure what hop they use but it's not one I recognize and not one I ever hope to come across again. Smell is somewhat like old socks or pumpkin - kind of a funky note pervades.

As is often the case, taste follows nose and the funk continues with each sip. Malt notes are present, primarily bready notes but the overwhelming taste is some sort of bitter sour rotten vegetable flavor. Very, very close to a diacetyl buttery note but not quite; I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if this was the offshoot of an unhappy yeast.

Mouthfeel is undercabonated and left an oily coating on the palate. Nothing to invite another sip other than the desperate hope that somehow magically the beer in my glass might have changed into something palatable.

All in all this rates a solid 'not impressed' This can't possibly be the same beer that most folk rate as 'outstanding'. I can only hope it's a bad batch that was somehow infected. Frankly, skunking would have improved the flavor.

Thanks (sort of) to rapopoda for going to the trouble of hand carrying this out to the Golden State.

2.26/5  rDev -47.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Dogfish Head may be the most over-hyped brewery on the planet. The 120 minute ale is simply torture to drink and a perfect example of "too much of a good thing,,," I like spicy food and rare meat. However, I grasp the fallacy in thinking that therefore raw pork and 20 habaneros is a great meal.

This is much better but still far from a good beer. I love IPAs and other hop heavy styles but there is a a raw quality to this beer that reminds more of green wood than anything else. The alcohol is dialed way back from the 120 but is still far too prevalent throughout. Behind the hops and alcohol and pine wood you can actually taste some malt in this one and it lacks the sickening raw sugar taste of the 120. However being a better drink than the 120 is akin to being a better eat than grubs.

To me this is just another overpriced bad beer reliant on image and the tendency of people to want to like things that set them apart from the masses. Sometimes, the masses are right -- people are wasting money becayse they put status over good taste.

2.34/5  rDev -45.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

Tastes too much like caramelized onions to me

2.36/5  rDev -44.9%

Initially I was enjoying this beer - the aroma was pleasant and the relatively strong hoppy bitterness helped to mellow the sweetness. As the glass progressed, however, the alcohol content of this beer overpowered the aftertaste and it lost its depth. Ultimately, I was left to "enjoy" a rubbing alcohol flavor at the end of each sip. Not good.

2.4/5  rDev -43.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

On tap at Winking Lizard in Mentor, Ohio about 45 minutes ago. Poured into a pint glass.

A Minimal one inch head with tree bark brown body, plenty of light visiible through it.

S This is hop city! Really, though, I simply smell bitter hops.

T Overpoweringly bitter. Tastes like I am chewing on hop plant itself. It is too much imo.

M Full, harsh.

D Not good. I can certainly only have one of these. It is just too bitter.

Notes: I had bought a "4-pack" of these about a month ago and (of course) tasted it but had not recorded my thoughts at that time. Saw it tonight on tap and decided to rate it properly. I suppose hopheads would love this but I do not. If you like hops, no need to look further than this beer for satisfaction.

90 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery