90 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

90 Minute IPA90 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute IPA "perhaps the best IPA in America." An imperial IPA best savored from a snifter, 90 Minute has a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate.

90 Minute IPA was the first beer we continuously hopped, allowing for a pungent -- but not crushing -- hop flavor.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 90 Minute IPA Alström Bros
4.68/5  rDev +9.3%

Oh yeah, been getting in the hoppy stuff and wipes my mind clean from that SA cherry wheat shit earlier. Pours amber color, little head, smells sweet. Taste? Ohhhh yeah, nice citrusy hop flavor with sweet malt, a perfect balance. Damn I could pound these things all night but I must control myself and savor them instead. Only if they were available in six packs and not just 4-packs.

Manosbeeroffate, Apr 11, 2006

Trotpntbll, Sep 03, 2014
4.68/5  rDev +9.3%

Big aroma with citrus and candied dates.

A beautiful medium clear amber color with a pillowy white head that completely fails to smother the wonderful aroma.

The taste is perfect for an American ipa. Balanced sweet malts with pronounced American hops.

The texture of the beer is medium-heavy with enough substance to encourage meditation.

Great finish with no unpleasant side notes.

Ridiculously drinkable. A real pleasure.

chickenflea, Mar 08, 2010
4.68/5  rDev +9.3%

90 minute ipa is best on-tap. the appearece is an orange -amber with a tight bubbled head that laces the glass heavily. smell is among the best ive had the pleasure of putting under my nose. all hops babay! taste is also heavy on the hops. just perfect for an ipa'r like myself. mouthfeel is highly carbonated and oily. alcohol is hidden very welland, at 9.00 abv this one will send you to the sandman early if you let youself become it's slave. a masterpiece!

ramrod666, Sep 25, 2004
4.68/5  rDev +9.3%

This has long been one of my favorite IPAs (in my top three where I have had trouble really saying which one is better), and one of my favorite beers overall. I have had a hundred or so beers I had never had before since my last 90. So, anxious to see how it stacks up now. Pulled from fridge and let it warm up to the recommended temperature, before pouring the 12oz bottle into my DFH signature snifter.

a- Pours a dark caramely color, 1in+ of head, with a denser head in the center. Head is slightly off-white. The lacing in this beer is ridiculous. Every sip leaves some. Of course some drops, but I still see a lot there, no matter how long I leave it sit. A bit of citrusy alcohol after a while.

s- A definite piney and citrusy aroma. A strong malt backbone scent, with some sweetness on the end. I think it is supposed to smell like grapefruit, but it reminds me more of tangerine. Sweet malty character starts to dominate after a minute. As it sits longer, you do get some alcohol taste.

t- Oh, the taste. Not as hoppy as I remember. Maybe this bottle is too old (that's one thing I miss about the east coast, fresh DFH). A good bit of malty sweetness on the front, a bittery pine in the middle, leading way to a bittery sweet roasted malt charact.er Not dark roasted like a stout, but still a nice roasted character (especially for a beer that apparently uses such a little amount of specialty malt). A definite spicyness starting to make its way in, especially as it sits out longer. Not a whole lot of complexity here, which I think is just right for an American IPA.

m- This is a very crisp beer. honestly, from all my experiences with it, it always seems crisp. Whether very cold, or room temperature. For being 90IBUs its quite refreshing, the sweetness helps this. Very clean.

o- This beer is not as good as I remember. I think it could be due to the lack of freshness. Hoppy beers just usually can't stand up to the aging. Or maybe my palate has just changed. I also prefer a good bit of alcohol taste on big beers, which this did not really have until near its finish for me. Regardless, still one of my favorite beers, and favorite IPAs of course. Has a good bit of sweetness and a strong malt backbone to balance, but the hops are still able to stand out (although not as much as I remember).

MrBoh, Oct 26, 2012
4.68/5  rDev +9.3%

A: Cloudy amber color. Beautiful.

S: Biscuity and hoppy. Perfect IPA smell

T: Like the perfect IPA. My favorite to date. Perfectly balanced beer. Sam Adams Boston Lager may have gotten me into beer, but this is the beer and taste that got me into craft breweries. It is now my standard go-to beer and I turn to it when I don't know what else to get. If you've never had a taste for IPA's or beer in general, keep drinking til you appreciate this one.

M: Perfect carbonation, well-crafted to stay balanced with the flavor

D: Could knock back a few of these every time, but if your not accustumed to IPA's then maybe not as good as I have it rated.

Always a pleasure to drink this one. Thank you DFH. You changed my perspective on beer with this one.

chodinheaven, Dec 17, 2010
4.68/5  rDev +9.3%

Appearance: A very dark orange with a two finger head that lasts for a while. Nice lacing which leaves some good sized rings.

Smell: Sweet hops, some malt and white chocolate smell. The malt really shines, interesting for a DIPA.

Taste: A nice kick of the hops, followed immediately by the intense malt backbone released in the smell. Finishes sweet, makes you lick your chops and go for some more.

Mouthfeel: Very thin and light, smooth sailing.

Overall: I absolutely love this beer. By far one of my favorites. The hops and malt balances perfectly, which was interesting to me for a DIPA with 90 IBU's. Will stay in my rotation for a while.

CPDalton, Mar 03, 2012
4.68/5  rDev +9.3%

This could be the greatest beer I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. The deep golden color led to a foamy head that stayed with me to the very end. I enjoyed the aroma of pine and hops, but it was the taste. Oh my god. The taste was a little bit of heaven. hoppy, but not overpowering. They added just enough enough malt to balance the emense amounts of hops in each glass. It had a sweet aftertase that I actually found very pleasant, I usually don't enjoy the sweet all too much, but this time it was just right. Did I say how smooth this beer was? I'm giving Dogfish a 5 in mouthfeel because it was so smooth. It was smooth like the finest silk. As smooth Barry White, as smooth as... you get the idea.

CBFanWish, Oct 04, 2003
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a light amber color, one finger width frothy white head. Slight lacing down the glass.
S: Smell is hoppy, also earthy aroma
T: Taste is similar to smell. Sweet grapefuity flavor up front with hoppy aftertaste. Not overly bitter. Very well balanced.
M: Light to medium bodied, easy drinking.
D: YUM!!! Very well balanced imperial IPA. One of the tastiest beers I have had in quite some time. Thanks to geexploitation for this beer recieved in a trade.

loren01, May 07, 2006
4.68/5  rDev +9.3%

Very sizable creamy white head tops off a clear orange body. Nice amount of lacing. Sweet malt on the nose backed by a very prominent floral hop arrangement. The taste starts with sweet caramel malt, but dominated by well-blended bitter and floral hop combinations. Spicy alcohol is present, but not overbearing. Medium bodied, wet mouth. Pretty solid IPA for sure.

Tballz420, Jul 27, 2009

Had @ home...

A: pours a beautiful amber-orange with a nice, big, creamy, bubbly off white head that has excellent retention and leaves some nice sticky lacing on my glass.

S: big citrusy, bitter hops with caramel malts and a touch of spice.

T: wow, just...wow. Some of the smoothest malts I have ever tasted. Caramel, maple syrup, even some creamy chocolate on the finish. Good amount of hops throughout, but unlike many other IPAs, they do not overpower the rest of the beer. Incredibly well balanced. Mmm, such a nice maple syrup, mouth-coating linger - damn.

M: A rich, full, mouth-coating texture with a somewhat oily finish that remains on the palate for a long time. Very nice carbonation level that adds a crisp spiciness to the finish as well.

D: This is my first ever Dogfish Head beer and I think it's the best IPA I've had so far. The flavour and mouthfeel is so rich and creamy, yet, it is so well balanced that it is very easy to throw back. This is truly a beer to savour - truly the nectar of the gods. IPA fans, find this beer.

Graham5161986, Oct 25, 2008
4.68/5  rDev +9.3%

This is my first venture into the dogfish head department and I am going in it with high expectations....
This beer looked gorgeuos and smelt even better. There was tons of bottom-carbonation in the glass and the foamy white head was very light and airy. As soon as this beer hits your mouth, it explodes with great hops. At first, it seems as though it may be a little too much, but it balances out perfectly. I can't help it, I am hooked! I cannot wait to try the 60 and 120 minute. This is by far, one of the best IPAs I have ever tried!

ALESwhatCURESya, Jan 17, 2004
4.68/5  rDev +9.3%

Pours a beautiful, rich and dense copper, dark apricot colour on a Snifter Glass. Extremely inviting! 1 inch head dissipates to a nice 1/2 inch lacing that lingers.
Delicious, sweet caramel scent, citrus hops.
Sweet on the tongue, rich and chewy. Did I mention sweet? Alcohol and Hops are present but not overwhelming.
Extremely drinkable, even with the 9% ABV.
WOW ! What an AMAZING beer, extremely rich and delicious. Must have more!
Highly recommended!

leokbelo, May 26, 2010
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle poured into a tulip

A: Pours a translucent copper hue with an eggshell foam head, darker than most IPA's but very welcome.

S: Doesn't smell overly hoppy, just appropriately so, and also has a decently rich malt character, sweet and dense. Some spicy and grainy traits develop along with some earth tones. The maltiness in the aroma is almost more telling than the hops.

T/M: Tastes richer and thicker than paler ales and has a mild alcohol grain bite up front, similar to a harsh whiskey but not nearly as potent. Hoppy bitterness starts to become apparent after some time along with caramel and molasses. If you let it warm just a bit, the experience is a lot like a nice bourbon, exquisite, smooth and meant to be enjoyed slowly. The balance is phenomenal but doesn't carry nearly as much bitterness as other, hoppier IPA's.

If you want something strictly hoppy, this would not be the best option, but for a very well balanced beer to sip on, it's hard to get much better than this.

TheBeerAlmanac.com

TheBeerAlmanac, Nov 27, 2011

Da_Boss_Goss, Aug 15, 2014
4.68/5  rDev +9.3%

Pouring a copper color with a slight white head, 90 Minute gives an immediate hoppy aroma with hints of citrus. When the certain tang of hoppiness attacks the tongue, a drinker is generally in for a good IPA. The initial taste begins mild, but evolves into an assault of varying degrees of hops. Tastes of orange, lemon, and cinnamon dance across the tongue before melting into a warming citrus aftertaste. The mouthfeel is smooth, though I sometimes feel the carbonation is moderately high.

While Dogfish Head no longer delivers to Indiana, it is worth the drive to Illinois or Michigan to get my fix of DFH. Though some prefer 60 minute IPA, I would suggest that there a few better IPA's available in wide distribution that are better.

JohnnyHopps, Dec 22, 2011
4.68/5  rDev +9.3%

Nice thick foam on top of this golden gem. Looks great in a tulip glass.

The aroma has the same complex grassy nuances of the 60 minute. A real delightful, highly recognizable smell.

Tastes of sour biscuits, with an unreal citrus zing to boot. The lack of a darker malt really allows the hops to be the star... and that is what we really want in a DIPA. But wait ... the finish is surprisingly sweet. The amount of barley that is poured into the kettle for this one must be off the charts.

You will keep reaching for this one, although drinking more than 2 in one night would seem like a challenge. A challenge that I am up to.

TrevorGW, Oct 15, 2008
4.68/5  rDev +9.3%

Appearance - Dark orange lots of carbonation 1 finger of thick creamy head and very thick lacing.

Smell - Pine Hops with sweet malts.

Taste - Oh god its like heaven in my mouth the head is like pure cream and after you get through that its rich sweet malts with some fruit in here. Not "grapefruitish" as the 60 minute but still there. The finish is all sweet sugary malts.

Mouthfeel - Very rich brew here no hop bite all but its a medium body with a soft feel going down. Little dry on the after taste very warming going down.

Overall - Very rich brew here gets even richer as it warms up I'd like it to be less rich as it warms but still nice all around. A must try for anyone that likes a good IPA, go grab yourself one and give it a go.

Jinholic, Apr 06, 2011
4.68/5  rDev +9.3%

pours clear amber, with a nice lasting white head, great lacing.

smells of nice citrusy (grapefruit) hops and a light caramel malt. not very complex but good.

same as the smell but a little more piney in the hop flavor bitter finish. again not complex but exceptional in the overall package.

mouthfeel has very light carbonation slightly creamy.

very drinkable not heavy at all. very good and nice abv.

overall delicious.

ryanonline, Nov 16, 2009
4.68/5  rDev +9.3%

If you are a true hop-head, than this is the Mecca of beers for you. This poured a golden amber range color with a slight head that relaxed into good lacing. The nose is an absolute punch in the face of hops, hops, nutty malts, hops and hops. THe taste is a bitter roll of hops searing the tongue. It's absolute heaven in a bottle. I've ben a hopper for a while, this is my flagship.

murrayswine, Oct 16, 2005
4.68/5  rDev +9.3%

Pours a dark copper color with a decent lace of head with moderate carbonation. Smell is pure hop and bitterness aromas. As what you would expect for a Double IPA. Taste is well...bitter of course and very robust. Mouthfeel is very dry, but still pleasant. Overall this is one the better Double IPA's I've had and very drinkable too.

DrainBamage, Jan 15, 2008

JDCop34, Aug 29, 2014

mschipper, Sep 13, 2014
4.68/5  rDev +9.3%

Appearance: Golden-brown, with a two finger, white head that remains for a few minutes.
Smell: Big, quality hop smell.
Taste: A big blast of hops, followed by apple and grapefruit tastes. It leaves hop bitterness in every corner of the mouth for a long time. Really great tasting hops. Considering the ABV, the alcohol is very well hidden, but it does become more evident near the bottom of the glass. A phenominal flavor overall.
Mouthfeel: Rich and creamy, almost buttery texture.
Drinkability: Oh boy, this is a great IPA! It's hard NOT to drink one everyday. This is a top-tier IPA.

jvajda, Apr 25, 2004
4.68/5  rDev +9.3%

What's not to like about this hop heavy little jewel? It is clean and refreshing with a bouquet that made you feel as if you were walking amongst the hop fields of Willamette Valley on a crisp summer morning in the shadows of the rolling hills of the United States Northwest. Too poetic? Yeah, maybe.

This ale was freaking awesome though! The rich red color of the brew was a kin to the cap that kept it safe within its bottle. I released it from its holding into a pint glass adorning the logo of the Milwaukee Brewers. I keep company from the great state of Wisconsin....please don't tell my MN friends, they wouldn't understand. The first sip was strong with hops, citrus and my brain kept telling me there was a hint of arugula but no one in their right mind would introduce a peppery micro-green into an IPA. Nonetheless, I got notes of pepper and spice...and it was fantastic!

About half-way through the glass I began eating a spicy chili prepared by friend and that's when I really started to appreciate this arugula flavor that kept popping into my senses. Inexplicably, I poured the last ounce of beer into the remainder of my chili, stirred it about and then...CRUSHED IT! Intrigued by my actions, the rest of those in attendance poured a little of the beer into their bowls and followed suit. We all silently stood up from our chairs. Made our way into the kitchen. Fixed another bowl of chili and cracked the last 90 Minute IPA and divided it up amongst us....directly into our chili.

Michael_DuBois, Nov 15, 2013