90 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

90 Minute IPA90 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2001

Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute IPA "perhaps the best IPA in America." An imperial IPA best savored from a snifter, 90 Minute has a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate.

90 Minute IPA was the first beer we continuously hopped, allowing for a pungent -- but not crushing -- hop flavor.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 90 Minute IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,702 | Hads: 14,428
4.28/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Great taste with slight taste of Malt that does not linger in your mouth. A touch of grapefruit. Good foam and color. . This is a must have in everybody refig. Can't wait to try the 60 minute next!!! (200 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This was poured into a snifter.
The appearance was a glossy hazy pale orange color with a slim finger's worth of foamy to bubbly white head that quickly dissipated.
The smell had a sweet grapefruit with some extra lemon and a balanced caramel malt.
The taste was bittersweet fully all of the way.
The mouthfeel sat about a light to medium with a decent sessionability about it. Carbonation seemed to follow the DIPA style. Nice grapefruit - sweet to bitter edge rolls over my tongue.
Overall, good for the style, not sure why Esquire calls this the best IPA in the U.S. Hmmm...its good, I just don't see it being the best one. I still have so many IPA's to try in life. (669 characters)

4.06/5  rDev -4%

Good beer but to me it did not live up to the hype. I prefer 60 or 75 minute. Dogfish Head is hit or miss with me. As I said, 60 or 75 minute are both excellent brews but 90 or either version of Raison missed the mark. (221 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -25.5%

I really was dissapointed with this beer. It smell like a normal american ipa. It feels really sticky. It taste a bit like licorce. hard to drink. I sadly bought a 4 pack (170 characters)

4.06/5  rDev -4%

Light hazy golden orange color with off white head. Aroma is malty and hoppy, caramel, pine, citrus fruits. taste is very similar to the aroma. Medium oily body with soft carbonation. (183 characters)

4.91/5  rDev +16.1%

Absolutely the best of the best for me, as far as IPA's go this thing is flawless. It's just perfect. Delicious. And with a high abv you would never guess it because it tastes so good. Loge Dogfish Head. (203 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours a nice, clear golden-amber color with a thick, one-finger head. Thick, chewey, almost CREAMY mouthfeel - very unusual for an IPA. Nowhere near as harsh as 60-minute.
The maltiness is also unusual for an IPA. It nicely balances the hops. 90-Minute is not sweet, though - just well-balanced. Alcohol is well hidden. Very drinkable. Possibly my favorite offering from DFH (although that's what I say about 60-Minute and 120-Minute, too). (446 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This may be a little biased. Poured this after finishing my final paper for my last class for my B.A.

L: Beautiful sunburnt orange, heavy one inch head that follows the beer all the way down. Good lacing too.

S: Light pine, lots of English malts.

T: Spicy hops, pine is gone. It's been replaced by medicial, herby hops. Malt backbone is very present. It carries the beer. Definitely a change up from the usual harshness of the American IPAs i frequent.

F: Thought it was going to be heavily carobnated by the pour, but it's only moderate. Mouthfeel is creamy and a little chewy, and the head...man that head sustains the duration of the beer. I don't know if I finally got my glasses clean or what. But it's exceptional.

O: Love it. Excited to try 120 minute. Actually seemed less harsh than 60min. Extremely drinkable for the abv. (836 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -4.3%

I love the Imperial IPAs by Dogfish Head and I also have been to a couple of their Ale houses and have tried their beer sampler, but was not sufficiently prescient to make mental notes that were detailed enough to write a review after the fact. However, I stopped at the local warehouse and picked up some of this Imperial IPA for the explicit purpose of reviewing it. It is a pleasure to do so. And with a beast like this that boasts 9% ABV and, of course, 90 IBUs, you can’t go wrong.

Look-It pours a clear golden amber color with an angry giant head which settles into a foamy soapy and delicate finger or two deep head. The lacing is absolutely beautiful and droops slightly, but has a sticky component to it.

Smell-I get grapefruit, pine, and toasted English malts. The malt variety that they chose was an excellent idea, because Esquire magazine said was “the best IPA in America”. It has a brandy and smoky bread smell, too that carries over into the taste.

Taste-The taste is toffee and citrus like grapefruit that lingers throughout the entire experience, but is also dominated late-in by an intense hop flavor and bitterness from the strong hops. The brewers boast a “ridiculous amount of English two-row Barley” that comes out toasted and delicious. I also get some resin and buttered biscuit notes.

Mouthfeel-It has a full-bodied and syrupy feel that is so pleasant and not overly sweet. Somehow, my aversion for overly sweet syrup malts has been avoided here and the barley malts are well-balanced and fine-tuned.

Overall-I would describe this beer in few words rather than many. I would describe this variety as memorable and delicious. It is fine-tuned and powerful. It is Dogfish Head! Cheers! (1,725 characters)

This is one of the best easily available IPAs out there in my opinion. Really nice hop character on the nose, with a well balanced taste. It doesn't compete with some of the top tier IPAs, but this is great and affordable. (222 characters)

1.94/5  rDev -54.1%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

This just doesn't do it for me at all. The English barley and malting make this taste more like a tart brown ale than an IPA. There's absolutely no pine or citrus tones to this which you expect from a good IPA. I was really hoping for more because I'm a fan of the 60 Minute. Luckily I only bought a single bottle. I'll take a Fresh Squeezed or a Sculpin over this any day. (373 characters)

4.51/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Look: Clear copper in color with streaks of amber. Two fingers of off-white to tan creamy head has very nice sticking power. Pretty lacing.

Smell: Grapefruit and toasty English malts. Bready and a little soapy.

Taste:Toffee and grapefruit up front and lingers through out. A perfectly balanced bitterness on the back end. Its a little hot but you wouldn't guess it is 9% from just sipping it.

Feel: Perfect body. A little chewy, a little sticky, a little soapy. A perfect blend of everything I want from any IPA.

Overall: One of the best. Its not an over the top DIPA that I see from a lot of the west coast breweries. This one blends American and English sensibilities for something truly balanced. (703 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -8.3%

My first East Coast IPA. Very malty and a bit too sweet for my taste. Alcohol is masked very well with a smooth, balanced after taste. Overall a pretty decent beer. (164 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is one of my favorite beers of all time. It's almost perfect. So well balanced. An explosion of flavor. I'm not going to waste your time telling you about it. Just go get one. NOW! (185 characters)

4.19/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Don't judge a book by its cover. Not much head. No lacing. A little copper colored for an IPA.

But the flavor really pops. Not super hoppy, but well balanced as far as IPAs go. Subtle sweetness makes this delicious. (217 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +16.3%

This beer pours beautifully with a rich amber color and generous amounts of lacing. The smell is a robust mingling of rich hop and malt tones . A truly unique smell because normally with an IPA I get overloaded with hop fragrance and little of anything else. The taste is truly amazing to say the least. Never have I had an IPA with this much balance. You can taste the hops and malts culminated together perfectly with neither one overpowering the flavor at any point. Very smooth beer that goes down so much easier than you would think for such a big beer. (559 characters)

3.07/5  rDev -27.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Not what I expected..

L: Copper/amber color with slight head.

S: Malt/biscuit smell predominates, mild spiciness without any detectable fruit or hoppy smell.

T: Similar to smell. Lacks the bitterness of what I expected from this beer. The maltiness really comes across and is not what I look forward to in a beer. Very sweet biscuit notes. Some resin.

F: Average carbonation.

Overall: Was hoping for more of a bitter IPA and instead it was similar to a good amber ale. (473 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Nice ever so slightly hazy copper reddish pour, with a dense two finger white head.

Aroma is a piney, slighlty sweet malt, and a touch of something almost spicy, with hops or alcohol.

Taste follows the nose mostly. Pretty damn malty for an ipa, even a double. But that makes it "crushable". Nice piney hop. Pretty resinous. I guess this is my first " east coast" ipa, and its pretty friggin good.

Mouthfeel is smooth. Not heavy,not light. Little stickiness, but overall, smooth.

If you see this, def pick it up. Don't think twice, freaking get it. Really good. (570 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Not a bad ipa. Definitely the best one that is made on the east coast. But it's really bitter which I like after one of these you want to drink some water because your mouthed dry. I love this brewery because it's dares to challenge all the rules of beer. This one is one of there best. (286 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I don't like IPAs. I love this beer. It's not too hoppy, it's crisp, it's rich, and tastes less like an IPA than it does a slightly hoppy beer that anyone could enjoy. (167 characters)

4.56/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This beer is good stuff. Unfortunately I drank 14 of them. I didn't feel hungover the next day and carried on my business as usual. When I awoke out of my blackout days later I got a few quizzical looks from colleagues but no real harm done. This beer is really good but be careful with it. (290 characters)

4.21/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance - 4.5/5
A clear deep orange in color, a large amount of very light tan head.

Smell - 4/5
Sweet, syrupy, light hops aroma.

Taste - 4.25/5
Slightly sweet, slightly boozy, nuanced pine-citrus hops, with oakey characteristics.

Mouthfeel - 4.25/5
Average amount of slightly more than medium-intensity carbonation. Quite crisp. Medium body.

Overall - 4.25/5
An amazing IPA. (383 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +11.6%

Poured into Duvel tulip glass. 2 and 1/2 inch white head. Excellent lacing. Copper color. Wonderful lacing on glass as it slowly gracefully is savored and consumed
Smell a bit of hops but not the usual big citrus and pine smell you would expect in a big IPA like this. A bit of fruit and malt
Well balanced w/ huge hops and great malt aftertaste and backbone
Full mouthfeel w/ great lingering aftertaste
I really should but this more often but I love to experiment to see if someone can come closer to perfection than this - but so far too no avail. One of my favorites if not THE Favorite. (597 characters)

Not very fragrant. Smells like toast to me. Strong hops and stronger malt. A little heat in the smell and taste. Sweet and smooth aftertaste. Different for an IPA but enjoyable. nb (181 characters)

3.96/5  rDev -6.4%

This is a good DIPA, but I wouldn't place it anywhere near the best I've had. I'd actually place it in the bottom half of DIPAs I've had (even including local, relatively unheralded ones, although I live within a few hours of some outstanding breweries.)
Pours a deep copper with a decent head which doesn't stick around too long. Not bad looking, a little hazy which I like in a double
Aroma of sweet malt, a little unexpected toastiness, generic citrus/piney hops but no distinct notes
Flavor follows closely, sweetness and a little hidden nuttiness like you'd get from a brown ale followed by bitterness and pine resin
Thick mouthfeel almost like a Guinness, not a huge fan
Overall...meh. A classic, but it's been far surpassed by newer brews within the style and is now a 3rd/4th tier DIPA at best (think RJ Rockers, Terrapin, etc) (835 characters)

90 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery