2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

90 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

90 Minute IPA90 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute IPA "perhaps the best IPA in America." An imperial IPA best savored from a snifter, 90 Minute has a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate.

90 Minute IPA was the first beer we continuously hopped, allowing for a pungent -- but not crushing -- hop flavor.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2001)
View: Beers (138) |  Events
Ratings: 10,470 | Reviews: 3,472 | Show All Ratings:
beerhan

4.85/5  rDev +13.3%

Show me, show me, show me how you do that trick
The one that makes me scream...90 minute on cask at ashley's in ann arbor. My mouth is still watering thinking of that glorious day I had this. 90 minute is one of the most drinkable and delicious widely distributed beers in the country and having it on cask is just a heavenly experience.

06-01-2010 03:45:06 | More by beerhan
Slatetank

4.18/5  rDev -2.3%

I had this at the General Sutter Inn in Lititz PA. Served at cask temp in a nonic

A - Very clear medium dark amber w/ weak pale head, no lacing and looks basically uncarbonated

S - Sweet malt aroma w/ high tart amarilllo sour citrus scent. The odor is moderately high of alcohol and he hops are not as pungent as expected but nice scent overall

M - I got the fruitiness and sweet malt in the feel w/ intense bite of bitterness and alcohol simultaneously w/ a residual sweet texture and juicy hop finish

T - Sweet - high amount of sweetness w/ the two row evident in the taste w/ a mild nutty toasted malt taste. The flavor is almost more like a barleywine until a citrusy amarillo and lemony hop flavor w/ sour oranges and mild sweet taste eases in. The malt is candy-like w/ tangerines and tangy notes w/ a boozy flavor that lasts into the finish

D - A drinkable Imperial IPA, especially on cask, but it seems stronger and more intense, not the same beer as in the bottle at all. I hope to have it on cask again to compare, but a great experience that seems to expose how malty the beer really is. Just a bit over the top for everday drinking or to be social. I would probably have ordered only a half pint next time - strength and acidity are too much for my taste this way.

05-31-2009 16:56:56 | More by Slatetank
woodychandler

4.78/5  rDev +11.7%

Once again, UKBrewing (Paul Pendyck) hosted a blast of a Cask Night on F, 30 Jan 2009 following a two-month Holiday Hiatus. Always a treat!

A finger of soapy, foamy head upon presentation. Color was a slightly cloudy orangish-amber. Nose was MUCH pine-ier than the previous DFH 60" which I had just finished. Now, we're talkin'! The touch of this liquid to my tongue was that of an iron fist enrobed in velvet. A soft stroking motion followed by a studded punch of mail. Yoi! It was even silkier than the 60", but the hops were NOT playing around. LOTS o' hops just simply assaulting my poor, defenseless taste buds which hadn't done anything to incur this sort of wrath.

Now cue a quote from Charles Dickens' "Oliver Twist": "More, please, sir." "MORE?!? You want MORE!?!" it seemed to roar back at me.

I could merely gently nod as the tears openly rolled down my cheeks and my breath came in raspy gasps. Say, bartender ...

Finish? I was finished. Ask any of the other Cask Night attendees.

Cask Night saw it return several months later and this is what I wrote on that occasion:

It was on gravity-pour this night so its head was just foam that de-ceded into nothingness, just a ring around the circumference. My glass evinced the deepest, clearest amber this side of orange of anything that I tried that evening. Clarity? NE, doubled. Bright! Edison would have wept. Mouthfeel was slightly full with a pronounced heat on the tongue. I started to feel like Goldilocks - one was too mild, this one was too much. Finish was hoppy, but indescribably so - I got bitter, but not in any way that I could pinpoint.

I feel like a waffle - I used to love 60", then I hit upon 90" and now I prefer 75". Small wonder that I am not married.

01-31-2009 14:55:10 | More by woodychandler
jeremyd365

4.35/5  rDev +1.6%

It poured a thick, cloudy orange and smelled supepr hoppy with a mix of pine and citrus. It was full of body and flavorful. Although it was thick, hoppy, and high in alcohol, it was fairly drinkable. So watch out with these--they'll sneak up on you!

03-21-2008 23:08:04 | More by jeremyd365
Pointman

4.43/5  rDev +3.5%

Was at Ashley's in Ann Arbor - they had this AWESOME IIPA hand pulled.

Wow - I was always a fan of it draft and in the bottle, but this was even better than I ever could have imagined.

The warmer temperature brought out much more of the flavor and increased the bitterness.

Nice citrus and a good bite. Balance was very nice. Nice sweet finish with good fruit.

The bottle & draft used to be my favorites for this HUGE beer, but this is a great DIPA.

03-08-2008 04:20:31 | More by Pointman
wl0307

United Kingdom (England)

4.63/5  rDev +8.2%

Tasted on cask(!!) at the BSF bar, GBBF 06. Coz all the other American cask-conditioned beers (30+ of them) failed to arrive in time for the beer festival, due to the unforgivable mistake by the shipping company, this was the only American cask ale available on stillages (two casks in total for the whole event...). But what a beer it was esp. on cask!! Gravity-dispensed.

A: pours a bright, orangey amber hue, very clear and low carbonation; no sign of beer head which is pretty normal for a gravity-poured real ale.
S: flowery essence, like Osmanthus fragrans, mountain-flower honey, juicy but sticky lychee jam, light note of basil leaves, plus a deeper scent of sweet oranges... all elements rolled in one, on top of a great, thick body of caramely maltiness yet without a single trace of sharp alc. for this 9%abv. beer... brilliant!
T: oily smooth in texture, with soothing flows of pine-oil, flowery and sweet grapefruity hops caressing the tongue... In the mid-taste lots of juicy longan-fruits come forward, closely ensued by a profound taste of licorice, dried root-spices and flowery petals, leading towards a balanced, tangy bitter and lo...ng finish with just a healthy kick of alc. down the throat. Hops leave great length of aroma and depth of bitterness at the back, but not at all harsh or intrusive on the mouthfeel as one might suspect of a DIPA. Sheer brilliance~~
M&D: smoothly-textured, the fizziness is much much softer than most American beers I've had, due to the cask-conditioning I'm sure. In a way the taste and aroma are not so much bold and thick as the bottled version, but for any cask-conditioned ale lover, this gem on cask really is unbeatable. Lovely nectar, to say the least... can't have enough of it!!

08-22-2006 16:53:23 | More by wl0307
dedrinker

Kansas

4.78/5  rDev +11.7%

What's better than 90 minute IPA through the Randall? Why, that would be CASK-CONDITIONED 90 minute IPA through the Randall. I was swimming through layers of herbal, piney, floral hop aromas and flavors with an amazingly balanced sweet malt backbone that had me silenced, but for the sound of purring deep within my bowels. Layer upon layer of hop flavor washing over every millimeter of my mouth. Nothing sharp or harsh about so much hop flavor.

05-18-2006 03:06:13 | More by dedrinker
shapudding

4.9/5  rDev +14.5%

Been drinking this at the Drafting Room/Springhouse. Limited quantities and was waiting not-so-patiently apparently since I got emailed by their manager and bartender as soon as they finally managed to get it and as soon as this puppy was tapped!

This has always been such a great IPA, what a treat to have it casked! Medium golden and somwhat unclear. Such an amazingly thick and creamy white bubble bath of a head on top. Scented lightly of grapefruit. Man, it is sooo silky as allhell! So rich and smooth, but yet not heavy at all. Hoppy and grapefruit rindy, lite citrus. Intense taste, but blended so nicely. Just so freakin' amazing... Perfect temperature. I can sit and just drink tons and tons and tons.... wait, there is not going to be tons of this available in this little freakin cask... crap! Thank god the DR is close to me! Gonna suck this thing dry!

08-07-2004 14:24:20 | More by shapudding
far333

Connecticut

4.35/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Light copper colored with a big white and lingering lacey head. Distinct hop aroma. Flavor is big hops with lingering bitterness in the back of the mouth. Hops flavor covers the tongue and fills the entire mouth. Well rounded flavor with hints of malt. Very smooth mouthfeel. This is a really enjoyable beer.

05-12-2003 18:16:52 | More by far333
frank4sail

3.95/5  rDev -7.7%

Tasted 10-8-02 Monks Dogfish Head Beer/Spirits Dinner.

Frothy white head. Hazy orange color. Murky orange smooth look. Sweet, lemon/orange peel, hop nose. Smooth hop taste with a touch of bitter orange. Stainless cask which is dry hopped with a big bag of hops for one month. Lots of yeast sediment left in the glass. Great mouth. Good but not as solid and rounded as the 60 min.

10-10-2002 08:30:35 | More by frank4sail
Jim_Benz

3.68/5  rDev -14%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I brought a four-pack home from Denver and was really looking forward to this beer. Unfortunately, I didn't enjoy it as much as I'd expected. But, for me, that's oftentimes the case with a DIPA--when they crank up the caramelly malt, it sends my diacetyl sensers into overdrive, and the beer ends up tasting green. But that's just me; I don't care for strong caramel flavors in beer. Anyway, here's my overall impression:

A: Beautiful, clear orange/amber coloring with a nice white head that leaves a ring and patchy covering all the way to the last sip. Very inviting.

S: Sweet and grassy. Minimal citrus, lots of malt.

T: If I ignore the powerful caramel malt flavors, I still find myself wishing for a little more kick from the hops. What I pick up instead is a little grassiness (which I like) but not much spice or citrus, let alone serious bitterness (which I doubly like). It's not a hop bomb, by any means, more of a hop-enhanced malt bomb that focuses on flavors I don't care for. However, in judging this beer, I know the malt flavors are spot on for what many people like--think Deschutes Immersion IPA (not a double, but certainly a malt forward IPA) and you'll know what I mean. In the end, it's just too sweet and caramelly for my taste. That shouldn't necessarily be the defining characteristic when I rate this beer--it's just my particular taste--but still ...

M: Perfect carbonation (it helps cut the caramel) but a little sticky and sweet, which is also the predominant aftertaste, along with a little grass from the hops. Medium bodied, I guess, mostly due to the sweet caramel. Nothing special.

O: Not my cup of tea, but probably pretty good for the style, or so I hear. I'll try another in a few days and see what I think then. In the meantime, maybe I'll go buy a six-pack of Two-Hearted Ale.

04-18-2014 15:28:41 | More by Jim_Benz
shacawgo24

4.94/5  rDev +15.4%

A-Copper/dark amber with glossy orange edges. Brighter body in light, glossier edging. Off-white two finger head is creamy and bubbly. When head flattens it becomes a sizzling silver starry bubbly top layer. Head is impenetrable, you won't see the body from top view, even to the last drop. Your last sip will be slow sliding foam. A bit dull and dirty-murky when not held in light the body is. But it does scrub up like a new penny in light.

S-Oranges and lemons. Hoppy. Fresh. Brown bread. Bran. Caramel malts. Toffee hiding in there. Booze a la dark bourbon. Sniffing some more, grains are inhaled. Honey. Burnt sugar. Soy sauce and sweet whiskey on warming. Any beer that can make me smell those many things, (while smell may not put me in a dream state) it makes me think, decipher and appreciate.

T-Caramel malt & orange/lemon citrus upfront. Then those classic 90 minute hops come in. Dark bready, sweet, piney and citrusy all in one. Pineapple too. With the sip all these flavors are in harmony, one taste seems to dominate then another jet blasts in allowing you to choose and focus on a set flavor. So much going on but controlled and contained. On warming a salty-sweet flavor kicks in like a dark ginger/plum sauce and/or 120 Minute IPA super cheesy-sour/sweet notes.

M-Perfect mediums of body and carbonation. Starts sweet & alkaline sour like a grapefruit, airs of pine in the middle blows into a drying yet oily hop finish. Pine in the after with hints of resin leave the tongue comfortably numb. But if improvement can be made to this beer it's in the feel. It should be thicker on the onset. It waters down on a maybe average/probably below average rate. This Double IPA should have better body retention. And carbonation a tad higher and longer lasting as well. Even more sizzle, more HOPS! 90 Minute feels like a regular IPA, like 60 Minute almost. It should have a Herculean body that stands up even on it's last legs. What should be a DIPA is really an Extra IPA.

O-90 Minute was the first craft beer I had that made me think and say, "this is the best beer I have ever had". A great springboard to discover even better craft out in the world. You will return to 90 Minute always even if you master your palate. It's bold, flavorful and versatile in all departments of palate. It can benefit from tweaking, mainly in feel. But the smell and taste are perfect. If 90 Minute had the robust, thick, sizzling feel of say Dogfish Head-Palo Santo Marron, it would be unbeatable. 90 Minute looks and tastes dark. It could be a new beer style, a Brown American Double/Imperial IPA.

04-15-2014 09:59:52 | More by shacawgo24
Murph-Dawg

4.4/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Another great beer by Dogfish Head!!!!

Good bold flavor, full taste, not overly hoppy which I typically enjoy, but a strong bold flavor that satisfies with each sip.

I will have this again, I tend to rate beers by whether I would buy again and I certainly buy this again.

Has anyone ever tried this as a keg? I am considering getting a keg for a annual pig roast I do.

04-12-2014 23:33:16 | More by Murph-Dawg
ONUMello

4.26/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12oz bottle bottled 2/27/14 poured into a DFH IPA glass
A: Light orange with a 3-finger head that lingers forever
S: Roasted malt, florals, hints of citrus, tropical fruit and florals
T: Matches the nose. More malt than hops, which is not as I recalled, but as a result is amazingly balanced
M: Medium-bodied, incredibly balanced, the 9% never comes through. Goes down way too easily
O: After all the super hoppy beers I've had recently (it's been a while since I've had a 90 minute) I'm surprised how much the malt shows through here, given it was one of the founders of the DIPA style. Still a very well made, very balanced & tasty beer

04-12-2014 21:44:17 | More by ONUMello
ChristopherWIU-UTPA

4.56/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I drank my first Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA back in March of 2010 in Miami, Florida and it was awesome. It hits the taste buds with that strong imperial IPA taste and the 9.0% alcohol (ABV) gives it that hard edge and wakes you up (or puts you to sleep if you drink too many). It pours darkish, with a reddish amber tint, finger sized tan head, and some carbonation. The main taste is bitter, with hoppy, caramel, fruity, and sweet. It finishes dry and leaves fruit like aftertaste. It is very filling. This is an awesome beer.

04-10-2014 16:09:54 | More by ChristopherWIU-UTPA
nodder

4.3/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A- Amber and clear. Decent head and lacing.

S- Pine, citrus, sweet malts.

T- Very malty for an IPA. I like it. The hops are there, no doubt. Just very balanced.

M- Medium mouthfeel. A slight alcohol presence, but this goes down very smooth.

O- My 1st time trying this classic. It wont be the last.

04-09-2014 23:17:32 | More by nodder
Jennz906

4.44/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A - Clear light amber color. 1 finger head, cloudy and active carbonation.

S - Almost like a sweet citrus, maybe lemon peel or even grapefruit. With a hint of caramel.

T - Sweet and malty with a lemon zest. Defiantly not as bitter as I expected, it's perfectly balanced.

M - very nice, Medium and surprising. A bit heavy. Alcohol is noticeable but still very smooth

O - A somewhat heavy and filling drink, especially for an IPA. Smell and taste are very Very enjoyable and perfectly balanced beer!

04-09-2014 02:35:01 | More by Jennz906
hoffhin2

4.43/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Amber, orange, good amount of head
Smell: Very hoppy aroma, floral, grass, strong malt smell
Taste: Rich in flavor, chocolate, toffee/caramel, with a good balance, and well carbonated
Overall: Great IPA, one of my family's favorites. Great malt presence.

Poured into pint.

04-07-2014 16:00:29 | More by hoffhin2
RoamingGnome

Wisconsin

4.25/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Dogfish Head 90 Minute Imperial IPA

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a stemmed tulip. Served chilled.

A) Nice golden amber with a finger of foamy head. Good clarity and ample bubble trails. Nice retention on the head.

S) Lighter malt, fresh egg bread, faint tropical fruits, and a little whiff of alcohol.

T) This is bready, a bit of yeast. Not a hop bomb at all. It is mellow and well balanced. A hint of grass and a little fruitiness. A little alcohol too... A bit more noticeable with some warmth.

M) Full bodied with moderate carbonation. A little oily, slick and coating. Semi-dry finish with some warmth.

O) A very nice beer.... Not what I expected. Easy drinking... Beware, the 9% ABV could sneak up on you.

04-03-2014 23:39:09 | More by RoamingGnome
fscottkey

3.76/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

A: Aggressive pour produced 4 fingers of head. The head is frothy and white. It lasts for quite a long time and recedes with heavy lacing. The beer is a carmel/amber color.

S: I get apple and hops.

T: Taste is light and fruity on the tongue. Floral tastes are present. No lingering aftertaste.

M: Smooth and clean. Carbonation is low.

O: Not to bitter. Easy drinking. This is not my favorite DIPA. It is a little understated. I like more hop up front.

04-03-2014 01:13:12 | More by fscottkey
EvoRich

4.7/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

This is the very first IPA I've ever had. And to this day, remains the best readily available IPA I've ever had. I'm not big on IPA's Most I've had are too dry, and too bitter. But this has a good balance of sweetness.

Appearance: More red, and darker than most typical IPA's. Nice foamy head when poured correctly

Smell: Piney, hoppy, citrus, sweetness

Taste: Not as bitter as most IPA's I've tried (which to me is a bonus), but still enough to know you're drinking and IPA. A nice citrus sweetness to go along with the hops is a nice balance.

Mouthfeel: Very carbonated, Medium bodied.

Overall: Very easy drinking beer. As much as I love the seasonal's, and rotating beers for their exclusiveness, Having a good beer like this to go to when you can't decide is great. Best overall IPA there is in my opinion.

04-02-2014 02:49:08 | More by EvoRich
BigMurph

4.88/5  rDev +14%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A) nice, beautiful.

S) Awesome I just want to dive into the glass. Citrusy, caramel deliciousness!

M) Hops coat the tongue at first then the Malts come in and coat the palate with the caramel and roasty flavors. Alcohol is present on tongue and palate from start to finish. Aftertaste is warm, sweet and malty.

T) great blend of hops and caramel malt. Awesome, my favorite beer.

Serving type: bottle poured into pint glass

03-28-2014 22:16:22 | More by BigMurph
Seanem44

4.69/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: Clean, deep bronze copper appearance. Thin white head that leaves a light lacing.

S: Citrus fruits and malt. Dank hops as well. A very inviting smell.

T: It tastes great. Bold hops and a malty taste. No hints of alcohol. This IPA is very alive.

M: It is interesting. It has a malty taste. It is very interesting going down. I really can’t describe it, but it’s almost like a burning feel, but a good one. I can only imagine that is the malt riding down with the hops. Maybe it’s the 9.0 being masked by everything else. It hits the palate in the right ways.

O: This is a great tasting IPA that is very easy to find here on the east coast. I would say that at $9.99 for a four pack, it is very well priced. I was drinking these back and forth with Hopslam, and to be honest, I think 90 minute IPA bests it. It is a phenomenal IPA made by a very phenomenal brewery. Can’t say enough about their line of products. This is a beer that lives up to its name.

03-27-2014 13:34:19 | More by Seanem44
silverblaze540

4.33/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A - Clear light amber color. 1 finger head, which lingers for a minute or so. Minimal lacing and active carbonation.

S - Sweet citrus; grapefruit and lemon peel.

T - Sweet and malty with a lemon zest. Mild bitter aftertaste.

M - Medium and maybe even, surprising, a bit heavy. Alcohol burn is noticeable.

O - A somewhat heavy and filling drink, especially for an IPA. Smell and taste are very pleasant without the strong bitter aftertaste. Very enjoyable.

03-25-2014 03:07:06 | More by silverblaze540
RumDude

Connecticut

4.59/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A: Deep amber. Just what it should look like, given the taste. I don't know what would make it better looking so it's got to be a 5.

N: Worst thing about this beer but still outstanding. Although it was malty and caramel/sweet with light hops, it was not as intense as I would have expected. Still fine, however.

T: Somewhat sweet and mellow malt with a perfectly balanced hop undertone. Not exactly what you would expect in an IPA but it is what I like. If there is any hint of alcohol, it is just about perfectly balanced to the taste. Did I mention it was mellow? Wow.

F: Consistent with taste and long. As it fades you can better make out the hops and they are mellowed as well. Begs for another taste.

Coming clean on this one. It was two years old. I am surely going to keep some in the aging room (garage) to enjoy periodically.

03-23-2014 22:57:35 | More by RumDude