90 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

90 Minute IPA90 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute IPA "perhaps the best IPA in America." An imperial IPA best savored from a snifter, 90 Minute has a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate.

90 Minute IPA was the first beer we continuously hopped, allowing for a pungent -- but not crushing -- hop flavor.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 90 Minute IPA Alström Bros

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

3.05/5  rDev -28.7%

Pours a golden amber color with half inch of white head,and no lacing.

Smells of malt and booze.

Taste is balanced with nice hoppy flavor and the malt smooths out almost all bitterness, with slight booziness, and boozy aftertaste.

Smooth mouthfeel with ever so slight a alcohol burn(very slight).

Overall nice beer just not enough citrusy hoppy flavor. The malt is a little to much for my taste, I want the hop flavor. Probably won't be buying this again.

3.93/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: clover honey with a 1 inch head that dissipated slowly to a thin film. Some lacing but not much.

S: Pine, caramelized sugar, alcohol

T: Similar to the nose with a clear alcohol presence (as one would expect at 9%). More malty sweetness than hop bitterness. I had expected more of a hop-forward bitterness from this Imperial IPA.

M: medium to full body, a little syrupy, lightly carbonated

O: I would definitely have this beer again, but only occasionally. In my opinion, the 90 minute is little pricey for what you get.

3.68/5  rDev -14%

Nice light amber color. Slightly hazy with a thin head that has good retention. The nose is so faint I can't detect much (but at least it doesn't smell bad).

Taste is quite sweet, but thanks to the craftsmanship at DH it's not so sweet that the hops make it medicinal-tasting. Predominant flavors are in the sweet, figgy, jammy department and the hops lend it a slight cedary hint. Certainly lots of malted barley went into this, undoubtedly to balance out the hops. The brewer went for balance here instead of just going for a hop explosion (a pity - no wonder I couldn't smell much). A slight alcohol tinge is evident and it becomes more apparent as the beer warms a bit, but never really becomes unpleasant. Mouthfeel is nice and firm without being syrupy or creamy.

This was a very good beer, but I won't buy it again. It's too well-behaved. If I'm going to pay this much for an IIPA, I'm not looking for balance. I want a bit of chaos. I want disorder. In short, I WANT HOPS! I want a good old fashion tongue lashing. I want a beer I'm going to still be tasting in the morning. I want a beer that newbies take a sip of, make a face like they've just bit into a raw lemon, and say ``good gosh! How can you stand that stuff?'' I can't justify buying this beer instead of, say, Stone Ruination, 3F Dreadnaught, RR Pliny the Elder, or Founders Double Trouble.

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

Nice tauny orange pour with a thin white cap. Good carbonation.

Heavy hop nose, citrusy, & slightly astringent .

Great, huge, hop flavor as advertised. Nice juicy, sticky, citrus flavor. Any malt characteristics are obliterated by the hop. There is no balance here.

Medium bodied, sticky, not slick.

4.75/5  rDev +11%