90 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

90 Minute IPA90 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute IPA "perhaps the best IPA in America." An imperial IPA best savored from a snifter, 90 Minute has a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate.

90 Minute IPA was the first beer we continuously hopped, allowing for a pungent -- but not crushing -- hop flavor.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 90 Minute IPA Alström Bros
DNICE555

Connecticut

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

On tap at Plan B in Simsbury

A - A clear copper body with a creamy white head.

S - Rich malts and some pretttty pertttty pretty nice hops.

T - Hops, rich malty backbone. This one gets better and better as it warms to room temperature. Pine, citrus, and not very much bitterness despite the 90 IBUs. One of my favorite DIPAS.

M - Medium body and carbonation. Very smooth and warming.

D - I frequently purchase bottles of this one and consume them at room temperature.

11-02-2009 20:22:51 | More by DNICE555
Stigs

3.9/5  rDev -8.9%

12oz bottle poured into a DFH signature glass. this was the beer that really got me in crafts, and its been awhile since i had one, and was stoked to review it. on we go...

A - pours a healthy two fingers of dense, rich foam. its kind of just sitting there putting on a show. the beer is a healthy dark copper color.

S - lots of bitter floral hops, heck of a malty backbone even in the smell, can tell this one is going at least try to balanced. a bit of soapiness also in the nose.

T - flash fo hops, quickly followed by the malts, more hops, then a somewhat harsh alcohol finish. i remember thinking this beer was so unbelievably hoppy, obviously long before i got my hands on some other DIPA's.

M - nice healthy carbonation, slick oily and syrupy.

D - alcohol very notable, but this at 9%ABV can really catch up on you. drinks more like an over-hopped barleywine.

11-01-2009 03:46:28 | More by Stigs
sictyrannis

4.65/5  rDev +8.6%

Great amber color, with a nice thick head. Lacing slightly thick.

Extremely citrusy, with hints of malt. And of course, it is beautifully hopped. Slight alcohol smell, but that's expected for a 9% ABV beer. Also detected are dark fruits and apricots. Rather complex.

Really amazing IPA. Smooth and hoppy at the beginning, then continues with tastes of malt, caramel and yeast. The alcohol adds a nice undertone to the brew, and may in fact be unnoticeable to most. The finish is of smooth hops, and sweetness and malt.

Great mouthfeel. Slightly syrupy--there's definitely body to this beer, but it's not overwhelming.

With all the balanced flavors, this beer goes down quite easily. You can go through a few in a sitting, easily.

10-31-2009 14:03:44 | More by sictyrannis
youngblood

Indiana

4.15/5  rDev -3%

Pours a darkish amber. White head sits on top rather proudly. Great lace, looking a bit sticky.

Mostly pine coming off the nose, although there is a slight hint of citrus. The malt backbone is very prevalent as well though, asserting some welcome caramel and bread notes.

The taste tends to lean more towards the malt than the hops which really surprised me, but as the beer goes down the entire thing evens out very nicely. It becomes a very smooth transition from slightly dry pine/floral to caramel.

This is a well weighted beer, goes down smoothly without a hitch. Great all around.

10-30-2009 15:39:35 | More by youngblood
jpaltan

4.2/5  rDev -1.9%

burnt orange, hints of ruby.. thick foamy head that dies down to a thin layer. coats the sides of the glass well. the nose is a punch of hops. citrusy and oh so beautiful. love the multiple citrus fruits going on in there, maybe a hint of maltiness and caramel. the taste is definately bitter, citrusy... up front there is more of that caramel, then the hops come and thrash the tongue a bit. mouthfeel coats the tongue nicely, a bit syrupy. drinkability is insanely good. i can't believe this beer is 9%.

10-28-2009 04:44:07 | More by jpaltan
mjw2808

Maryland

4.18/5  rDev -2.3%

a little less than a one finger head, some lacing. Very nice golden amber color. The smell is very hoppy with an abundance of citrus fruits. The taste is very fruity and sweet with more than enough hops to go around, some nice malt and alcohol as it goes down. Medium bodied and drinkable as well, a very good beer and an exeptional IPA.

10-27-2009 02:40:40 | More by mjw2808
Natural510

4.43/5  rDev +3.5%

12oz bottle, dated 06/16/09. Could be fresher, but that's okay.

Medium pumpkin-orange color, decent head & lacing.
Orange-citrus to the nose; sweet with an herbal hop finish.
Initially bright, sweet, citric flavor. Orange-grapefruit bursts on the scene, sweet & tangy. Floral quality comes through, finished with a creeping bitterness. Herbal, rather than pine, quality to fresh hop notes. Very clean; hoppy but not overbearing.
Quenching, refreshing. Mild bitterness in throat, medium-bodied.
Probably the smoothest and most accessible of all the DIPAs, which is surprising given the reputation of DFH. Extremely drinkable; bitter, smooth & sweet are not qualities which usually meld together but they pull it off in spades here.

10-26-2009 12:40:03 | More by Natural510
Rmassimiano

4.8/5  rDev +12.1%

A - Nice amber color that is reminiscent of a light maple syrup. The head it a perfect white about an inch deep.

S - Very sweet citrusy hoppy aroma. I can even make out the malt smell through the hops.

T - Wow. This beer is really incredible. Hops are just as sweet as they are bitter. The hops are not over bearing, they are just bitter enough to allow the malt to come through.

M - I love how think the beer feels. Its much more viscous than other beers but personally I like this style alot.

D - I love a good hoppy beer and this one has been talked up quite a bit so I thought there was alot going to be some disappointment but I was pleasantly surprised. I love the hoppy and malty balance with the thick mouthfeel. I will definitely be drinking it again.

10-23-2009 03:25:49 | More by Rmassimiano
BevMoAndrew

4.65/5  rDev +8.6%

Served into a Bruery Tulip glass at about 45 degrees.
Appearance - an clear orangish copper with thick, creamy colored froth.
Smell - Holy hop! Grapefruit, orange peel, apricots, wild flowers, green hop leaves, hop spiciness (noble hops used?), caramel malts, light graininess. very pronounced and pretty, but I definitely get the 9% abv or else I'd rate this a perfect 5.
Taste - On the nose I definitely get louds of hops with a little bit of the malts, but on the taste, I get tons of malts with a little bit of hops...caramel, light chocolate, , grapefruit, oranges, apricots, hop flowers. great mouthfeel and very smooth. I'm kind of surprised that the IBUs aren't more noticeable.
Drinkability - Very drinkable for a 9% abv IPA! I like this style of IPA where it has more of a hop aroma and flavor profile rather than a hop bitterness profile. I can see why this is one of the best.

10-22-2009 19:47:10 | More by BevMoAndrew
Intimidtor

4.4/5  rDev +2.8%

Great beer. Sampled this beer initialy at THE PUB in Lakewood Ohio from a 12 oz bottle. I love Double IPAs but Dogfsih has created something special here. Above and beyond any IPA out there. Poured into my X-mas in July Winking Lizard glass. About a finger width of head and nice slightly reddish color. First sip instantly got my attention. I realized that I had found a top five beer. Great rich taste with lingering finish. Enjoyed every drop and couldn't wait for the next one. Keep up the good work there at DFH brewery. Cant wait to try the 120 IPA.

10-22-2009 00:20:13 | More by Intimidtor
cdkrenz

Wisconsin

4.85/5  rDev +13.3%

A - This is a great looking IPA. It has a clear and crisp deep orange body with a modest head that is pure white and it appears to be going nowhere. Very inviting brew.

S - Rich and smooth hoppy aroma that begs for consumption.

T - Wow... It has a smooth hoppy flavor to start. It's followed by a hint of alcohol and a Belgian style malt flavor that really makes this unique. The finish is that of soft hops. This brew is not at all bitter.

M - The feel is smooth and soft throughout with a hint of action in the finish. Overall the brew goes down extremely well, probably too well.

~ This is the best IPA I've ever had. I am so grateful to Mr. Mike Williams of Stevens Point, Wisconsin for his generosity. He traveled to Milwaukee and brought this beer back to me as a birthday gift, and what a gift it has been. My thanks also go out to his wife, Ranee, I don't doubt she too had a say in this wonderful beer choice. Thanks you two.

10-21-2009 22:11:48 | More by cdkrenz
muskabeatz

Indiana

4.15/5  rDev -3%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle

Pours a very rich, hazy copper/light amber color with a creamy head. Head retention and lacing are both ok.

Thick smell of hops, pine, and some citrus, chased by a sweet malt smell.

Big hop taste that is complemented well by smooth maltiness and alcohol. A bit of caramel, and yeast as well.

Very smooth, almost oily. Perfect amount of body, I would say a hair above medium.

Overall, there were a lot of things that I really like about this beer; however, I get the impression that my palate is not quite developed enough to fully enjoy this beer. I'll be curious to come back to this in the future after having more IPA's under my belt.

10-21-2009 00:58:37 | More by muskabeatz
longdivision

4.28/5  rDev 0%

Poured from a tap into a snifter glass.

Appearance -This had great head retention, and its continuous lacing was admirable. Caramel in color with cascading carbonation throughout.

Smell - Fragrantly sweet, reminiscent of a Belgian yeast. Some malts. In a good way, I'm reminded of bread pudding. I picked up faint, piney hops and alcohol notes as well.

Taste - Wonderful. Again, sweet with Belgian-like yeast up front. Lingering piney, citrusy hops on the finish. The hops were underlying and subtle on the palate, not directly on the tongue if that makes sense. The sweetness and malt character really dominate on this.

Mouthfeel - Medium, pleasant, smooth. I would probably call this a sip and savor beer.

Overall, not what I'd expect for a double IPA at all.
I was hesitant to try this, as I am with most double IPAs, but this really was such a rewarding, tasty surprise. I'm going to try and pick some up for home.

10-19-2009 17:09:59 | More by longdivision
polygman

4.05/5  rDev -5.4%

I bought this beer as recommended as being touted as one of the best IPA's out there. Given that it was an imperial/double IPA I poured it into my Gulden Draak tulip glass and finished off the pour hard to fill the tulip with a nice creamy white head. I could see small fragments of the yeast in the glass as I viewed it. Good head retention for a while. Not much lace as the head began to subside.

Smell was of a typical IPA, piney, tropical fruits with mild grapefruit aroma.

The first few tastes of the beer hit me as exactly an IPA, nice bitter hoppiness. Yet as the beer warmed a little, the sweetness of the malt came to the forefront of the palate. It became very sweet with malt over the course of the glass. I'm not exactly sure I would call this a double IPA given the tremendous malt sweetness by the end of its session. It almost tastes as if it was a Belgian / IPA blend such as the few hybrid offerings available.

As the drink warmed I could sense the alcohol swirling around my mouth and the aroma being drawn through my nose. The 9% was quite evident as the beer warmed. Overall, I felt the beer was tremendously balanced between the hops and sweet barley taste. It is a fine beer and although I feel it fell short of a true imperial IPA, missing the pronounced bitterness notes, I found it hit its highs elsewhere and was quite satisfying.

10-19-2009 04:23:09 | More by polygman
gatorbreath

Fiji

4.43/5  rDev +3.5%

Enjoyed my first dogfish head brew.

Pours a nice color, thin pour, with minimal head and some lacing. The taste is of a little bite, not much citrus balance to the hoppiness, although it is not overwhelming. The drinkability is good on this one and would enjoy another growler fill.

Definitely got me geared up to try the 120 minute to see what the fuss is about.

I enjoyed this brew though, nonetheless, but there are other DIPAs I prefer over this one.

10-18-2009 18:58:43 | More by gatorbreath
microbrew52

4.55/5  rDev +6.3%

This is actually more drinkable and desirable than the 60 minute, especially for the broader audience. The extra hopping actually gives this a fruity hop taste that is more enjoyable. The look is fairly the same as the 60 minute but the aroma and flavor are miles apart. This is one of the best American IPA's in a bottle.

10-17-2009 06:40:11 | More by microbrew52
vdread

4.1/5  rDev -4.2%

Dogfish Head 90 Minute Imperial IPA pours a dark orange amber color with an ample amount of off white head that leaves a thick lace curtain.

the air drips with the smell of grapefruit and apricots with the hops against a sweet caramel malt background.

grapefruit and orange peel are bright and bitter. there is a strong apricot presence. malt is sweet, syrupy, caramel. alcohol is very present.

the mouthfeel is syrupy and thick, ending slightly dry with a strong alcohol bite

it's a sweet, syrupy alcoholic mess of a beer and i love it. i used to hate it for these same reasons.

10-16-2009 22:55:08 | More by vdread
mightymoksha

4.08/5  rDev -4.7%

Served in snifter.

Pours a translucent, rich-looking amber. Dense, cream-colored head that laces all the way down.

Oily, herbal hops are all over the nose. A sweet, biscuity malt aroma was also quite prominent.

Immediately present is an upfront hop profile, herbal and piney, not too bitter. Some citrus notes as well. A biscuity, caramel malt sweetness prevent the hops from stealing the show. With the smoothness of the alcohol, this brew balances nicely.

Smooth on the palate, with a thicker, almost chewy mouthfeel. Carbonation level is spot-on.

I ventured into the craft beer world while living in Oregon, so this isn't quite what I was expecting from a double IPA. Nevertheless, I found it to be superbly balanced and very enjoyable.

10-16-2009 04:56:09 | More by mightymoksha
WeedKing4

Ontario (Canada)

3.63/5  rDev -15.2%

12oz bottle.Had this back in July in Detroit. Pours a dark amber red colour. Not a bad beer, I noticed a slight alc.% burn in the after taste though. Only thing knocking it from a higher rating for me. Maybe i'm just not ready for it yet, but solid over all.

10-16-2009 00:50:43 | More by WeedKing4
NorCalYeti

4.45/5  rDev +4%

taste- textbook but not overboard, sweet

color- peach-copper

clarity- clear

smell- fresh cascade hops

body- medium, smooth, bitter hop finish

appearance- beautiful, white frothy head

overall impression- solid everyday standby

notes- english two-row barley, every tank is dry-hopped, features a single, constant 90 minute hop addition. this review is for a 2008 vintage tasted in 2008

glassware: pint

10-15-2009 05:17:10 | More by NorCalYeti
badesign

4.38/5  rDev +2.3%

Pours lively yellow-orange with a 1+ finger head that clings to the glass. Smell is of a single 90-minute hop addition, citrus fruit and pine resin- not as strong as expected, though. Bracing bitterness with a strong, sweet backbone, lingering grapefruity tang. Just the barest hint of the 9% ABV. Incredibly creamy, sticks to your tongue and makes itself comfortable. So sweet that you'd barely think anything of cracking open one after another- until you tried to stand.

10-14-2009 02:34:54 | More by badesign
PartyBear

United Kingdom (England)

4.47/5  rDev +4.4%

Appearance: Deep red colour, with a thick creamy off-white head, good lacing on the glass, and very little carbonation.

Aroma: Incredibly pungent resinous hops on the nose. There are lots of acidic fruits flying around the glass. The aromas give off a almost smokey character due to the strength.

Taste: Lots of bitter fruit at the front, along with a subtle sweet crystal malt toffees. The hops are biting and bitter, lots of citrus and powerful resiny hoppiness but it is perfectly balanced out by the malts.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and smooth, with a substantial body. The carbonation is minimal, which gives it a silky texture.

Drinkability: This is an almost perfectly balanced DIPA, that is what sets it apart from the others in this grossly overpopulated style. This is one of the only beers that I have been prepared to give a 5 to for drinkability, and considering this is a 9% beer, that is something special. Is it the best DIPA? It may very well be.

10-13-2009 21:57:14 | More by PartyBear
Mavajo

Georgia

4.45/5  rDev +4%

On tap at Taco Mac.

Color was a clear amber. There was a bit of haze, but I attributed that to the chilled glass. Haze was about a finger thick and white. No telling how long it sat at the bar before it got to me, though. Nice sticky lacing the whole way down.

Nose is, of course, dominated by hops. Notes of pine, grapefruit. No real citrus to speak of, in my opinion. Taste is great. It's hoppy and bitter, but not harshly so. This beer doesn't try to assault your tastebuds and force you to your knees with bitterness overload. It's very nicely balanced with ample maltiness. But don't be fooled - it's a ADIPA, so the dominant notes are still hops and bitterness. It's just not nearly as brutal as the ones from out west.

The mouthfeel is medium, smooth and with medium carbonation. The 9% ABV is barely noticeable. All of this combines for a lethally drinkable brew. Instantly my favorite DIPA.

10-13-2009 12:19:22 | More by Mavajo
velosuds

Oregon

3.75/5  rDev -12.4%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a clear pint glass. Bottled on July 24, 2009. Single purchased from a co-op in Seattle.

A-Poured a medium amber hue with a two+ finger bone white head with nice retention and sticky lacing.

S-Too malty for a DIPA. Hops in the nose, but not hoppy enough for style.

T-This was too malty for style. Much more like a barleywine than a DIPA.

M-Very smooth and well balanced.

D-This went down very easily and I would readily reach for another. Taste improves as it warms.

I liked this beer. It tasted very good. But I tried to rate it according to style, and I think it missed the mark in the aroma and taste. More like a barleywine, or in between barleywine and DIPA.

10-13-2009 04:25:31 | More by velosuds
Dspohn

4.08/5  rDev -4.7%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass. My first DFH beer. I'm pretty excited.

A. Quite clear with a dark gold body and quite a nice fluffy head. Good retention.

S. Mmm floral hops and bready malts. Smells of toasted and caramelly malts. Just a touch of alcohol in the nose, but not in an offensive way.

D. This beer exemplifies the stereotypical balanced east coast balanced IPA as opposed to the west coast raw hop bomb IPA. In general I prefer the intense citrus and tropical fruit forward IPAs but the balanced taste of this beer is quite delicious. Slight fruit rind with a good dose of piney hops and a hefty presence of bready malt. Neither overly bitter or sweet.

M. Very nice medium body and just the right carbonation.

D. Drinkable and approachable due to the balance. A good beer and the flagship DFH IPA.

10-12-2009 01:52:33 | More by Dspohn