90 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

90 Minute IPA90 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute IPA "perhaps the best IPA in America." An imperial IPA best savored from a snifter, 90 Minute has a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate.

90 Minute IPA was the first beer we continuously hopped, allowing for a pungent -- but not crushing -- hop flavor.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 90 Minute IPA Alström Bros

Just had a great sampler of IPAs at a shore tavern. DFH 90 was among the four I sampled. Have to say, nice brew and quite drinkable for the 9% abv. Head was one finger and left some nice lacing down the glass. Color was typical of any other American IPA. Nose was nice, but not overpowering. Taste was similar to 60 Min, but a bit more of everything. For some reason, I find an earthiness to DFH IPAs--- this follows suit. Waitress gave me a second half-pint on the house, after the first four---probably didn't need it, but... ;)

DJED69, Aug 29, 2010
3.1/5  rDev -27.6%

A: Light amber with white medium sized head.

S: Smells of pineapple, pine and grass, with something sweet malt. Not a powerful smell that drew me in. Average at best.

T: Just like the smell, with more of the pine and grass than the pineapple. There is a sweet malt backbone here that to me just didn't seem to go well.

M: Decent. What you would expect. Medium carbonation.

D: This one just didn't do it for me. For all the hype this beer gets I just didn't enjoy it.

For a different perception, my wife on the other hand really likes this beer. She says that she likes the balance of the malt backbone. I normally love a good balanced IIPA like Terrapin Rye squared, but for some reason this one just tastes...off... Perhaps it is the type of Hops/malts used?

jskoog, Aug 27, 2010
2.73/5  rDev -36.2%

On the pour this looked like a great IPA--nice and coppery--promising strong malt presence with the hops to boot. Little head. Less carbonation.

But--as much praise as I've heard of this beer--I was skeptical at first sniff. There was almost nothing there! "Maybe all their hops are in the bittering and finishing phase," I thought. The smell was my first foreshadowing that I might be disappointed.

I regret to say it, but the taste was just bland. Let me be more specific...too balanced. For an IPA/Imperial I'm ready to have my socks knocked off. I'm ready for a Pliny, a Maharaja, or an Alpine Nelson...and I'm getting more of an Arrogant Bastard...and that's being generous. Granted at 9% the malt is big, but where are the hops???

Mouthfeel was fine...little carbonation. The other reviewers are right: syrupy.

Drinkability was this beer's highest praise as it doesn't drink like a 9% beer. Maybe that's it's best quality. You can drink this thinking you're drinking an amber ale--like maybe a Rogue American Amber--but when I'm gearing up for an Imperial IPA? Who cares that I'm drinking 9% that feels like 5%...I want to have a flavor profile that leaves me something to remember. Dogfish 90 minute left me with nothing but grave disappointment.

I swear all these positive reviewers are either:

a. Partial to the Dogfish head name, and therefore not objective and suspect.
b. Ten years behind the evolution of Imperial IPA's and have never had a Pliny the Elder.

This beer makes me want to never drink anything brewed east of the Mississippi. (And west of...let's say, Wales.)

Call it a Strong Ale, and I'll give it a B+.

scottchesterhall, Aug 27, 2010
4.13/5  rDev -3.5%

A big mahalo goes out to geryeb624 for sending this beer my way!!! Pours a crisp clean reddish/amber color with a nice size off white head and just the right amount of visible carbonation. Aromas of hops, grapefruit and pine. Flavor is of light citrus and hops with a slight undertone of alcohol. Very smooth and lightly sweet with a quick bitter finish. The aftertaste is long and wonderful. I could happily drink this all day, at least until I passed out:)

Kala1073, Aug 27, 2010
3.03/5  rDev -29.2%

Got this at Binny's Downtown in Chicago on our recent baseball trip.

From a bottle into a snifter

Note: Drank all three in order.

APPEARANCE: Pours a one finger, medium looking white head that crackles enough for me to notice. Decent retention on the head. Clear SAE amber orange in color with zero carbonation evident. Head slowly fades to a thin wisp and a ring that remain until the end and leave a few dots of lace down the glass. Exactly the same as their 60min IPA.

SMELL: Pale malts, sweet pineapple and citrus notes, as well as some floral hop aromas. Medium strength and plenty inviting, though it's exactly the same as their 60min IPA, which is a little weak for a DIPA.

TASTE: Starts out the same as their 60min IPA, with pale malts, pineapple and notes of citrus in the beginning. Proceeds to some spiciness and boozy qualities in the middle, which are a little stronger and bolder than its little brother. A bold sweet melon and hop bitter aftertaste has lots of spicy vodka flavored booze in there. Simply a slightly stronger, and essentially boozier version of their 60min.

PALATE: Medium body and medium carbonation. Lacks some needed creaminess, like its little brother, goes down smooth with a little burn after the swallow and finishes slightly mouth-coating. Decent.

OVERALL: This one is basically a boozier version of 60min, but the booze isn't accompanied by more malt or hop flavor. A little too boozy for the style in my book, but it is still tasty enough to bother finishing, even if it is a one and done. While I'd grab their 6% IPA again, there are better 9% DIPAs out there. Skip it.

Jeffo, Aug 26, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +1.2%

A: brown/amber color, not to much of a head at first, but the beer retains a little foamy skim on top. Excellent lacing.

S: Pine, fruit, spice, grass, floral and woody notes. The hops smell like Centennial to me... The woody notes pleasantly surprised me. The smell had something a little funky- not really like chemical- but more like syrup... probably because of the high ABV.

T: This is a yummy beer... I taste all of the things mentioned in the smell, with an addition of some big round caramel malts. The taste is not as bitter as expected. Beer kind of reminds me of a barleywine...

M: Thick and syrupy. Coats your entire mouth with its sweetness. The hops sit at the back of your throat.

D: I actually think this is more drinkable than the 60 Minute... very good for a DIPA :)

EwaldEichstaett, Aug 26, 2010
4.78/5  rDev +11.7%

Poured from the bottle into a dogfish head signature glass

Appearance - golden honey color. Produced one finger of rich and silky off white head which left big sticky clumps of lace. Very good looking.

Smell - Floral piny hops, toasted malt, yeast, some citrusy grapefruit.

Taste - The taste of the beer is massive. It begins with the hops which come in a bright punch but are immediately toned done by tons of unfermented sugars and sweet malt. Yeast has a small presence but one that is felt. Bitter hop finish and just a touch of alcohol rounds out the beer. I just love its complexity.

Mouthfeel - fantastically syrupy from the sugar and oily from the hops and the same time. Medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

Drinkability - This is a beer that I come back to again and again. Truly a remarkable Double. For a brew with an ABV of 9% I could drink this all day. But that would probably be a mistake.

Snamnoum, Aug 25, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Reviewed from my notes; served at the Great Lost Bear. The beer came to me in a tulip glass with almost no head, which seems odd to me. All that is present is a tan skim of foam, but that is all that there is room for--the liquid is filled right to the top of the glass. It is golden orange in color.

The beer has a good, crisp hop aroma. It is forest-like, with pine, damp moss and some bitter scents.

When I taste the beer, the hops kick in immediately. They are bitter, oily, crunchy hops. Graham cracker, maple and brown sugar make up the sweet malt tastes. The hops and sugar linger on for a long time...longer than I can wait to take another sip!

This is a full-bodied beer. It has some tickling carbonation. There is a slick oil coat that is a tad sticky. It coats everything: lips, teeth, tongue and roof. This mouthfeel does shy away from the 90 Minute's imperial status.

Sure this is a strong beer, but it is quite drinkable. I keep wanting another sip. This beer could be dangerous; I could easily drink a lot of it.

ToasterChef, Aug 24, 2010
3.73/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Golden yellow with a thin, quickly dissipating white head

S - Mostly piney hops with a hint of malt

T - Strong hops, though not overwhelming. A strong, almost pure alcohol jump in the aftertaste.

M - Moderatly thick and syrupy, somewhat heavy

D - After hearing rave reviews from friends about this, I was excited to try it. It has been a couple months since I've had an imperial IPA, so I had to get used to the strength again. It's very drinkable, though the strong alcoholic aftertaste makes me want to try the 60 minute, in hopes of a smoother finish.

oc0dyc, Aug 23, 2010
4.47/5  rDev +4.4%

Do you remember the Dogfish Head 60 minute IPA? All that robust and citrus hop character and the immensely crisp and refreshing bite? Well, the 60 minute was actually not the first continually hopped IPA that Dogfish Head made - before the 60 came the 90 Minute IPA; an Imperial IPA which was first brewed at the Dogfish Head Brewpub, and is now the Best Selling Imperial IPA in North America, and potentially the world.

The 90 Minute IPA utilizes continual hopping during a ninety minute boil to create a pungent hop aroma and flavor, rather than an overbearing one. Beyond that it is also dry hopped during conditioning to increase its lively fresh hop character.

Just like the 60 Minute, the 90 is not for everyone. People who claim to not enjoy the bitter bite of hoppy beers would not be impressed by the 90, or the 60 for that matter. But if you are a hop-head, or can appreciate the savory bitter and fresh characteristics of rich hops than this Imperial India Pale Ale is a magnificent treat!

The 90 comes in 341ml bottles which you can often find in four packs all across the United States. They have not yet found their way into Canada unfortunately. It is 9.0%abv, and also is rated at 90 IBU (International Bitter Units). I am lucky enough to have a Dogfish Head Chalice, so I pulled the 90 out of the fridge to warm a touch, prepared the chalice, and also a nice comfortable spot on my couch to enjoy this in.

The 90 Minute IPA pours smoothly with a mild viscosity to it. It slowly builds in the bottom of the glass with little vigor, but soon as the bottle in half way through carbonation is now erupting from the bottom and a large and fluffy almost two inch head is developed brilliantly above the beer. The head is creamy white and filled with airy bubbles perfectly resting just below the edge of the glass.

The beer itself is transparent and rich - its glows a copper orange with a lot of red, mahogany and caramel. The contrast between the beer and its foam is magnicifent - it already shows body and rich soul. The nose is round and balanced with warm and rich pale malts, smooth hops bitterness, and light sweet caramel. The malt here is most prominent, which is surprising when you contemplate the 60 Minute IPA. Hops here just linger around showing a touch of citrus, pine and earth. It is also warmer in alcohol; the caramel from the malt brings with it a slight whiff of 9%.

Just as Sam Calagione (Dogfish Head founder) describes, the 90 minute continual hopping is used so to add hop flavor, not hop brutality. And here is shows its power in spades. Let the 90 pour over your palate, don't sip it right away, really get a nice mouthful. The sweetness from pale malts show themselves on your tongue, but then a smooth layer of hops show themselves in grapefruit, lemon peal, earthy pine, grass, spice and fresh herbs.

The balance is really impeccable; smooth and soft caramel flows across your cheeks and the roof of your mouth, all while a deep resin of hops float throughout your mouth. As the beer warms, more sweetness shows itself and the fresh bitter becomes more brash and citrus. It begins to touch raisins and fruitcake almost bringing more complexity to the picture. The finish is soft and full, with only slight quenching characteristics.

The beer is less carbonated, less aggressive, and less crisp than the 60 minute IPA. And many people do criticize it for that. However it is more balanced, and better constructed, with more depth of flavor and rounded sensations. Its an interesting wold this - most people who look for an Imperial IPA are hop heads and want to be crushed by the one sided insanity of a 60 Minute IPA, so the 90 is too balanced for them and not quite insane enough.

The 90 to me is a sublime IPA with amazing character and genuine flavors which compliment the brewers and their efforts. It has an elegant mouthfeel, perfectly smooth malt flavors with complex hops dancing with it. The 90 seems to be living in a more sivilized world than the 60 Minute IPA.

It will also age well over time with the added strength and sweetness, and pairs magnificently well with beef, potatoes, cheesy breads, olive oil based pastas, rich cheeses, and rich cheesecake.

StephenRich, Aug 23, 2010
3.9/5  rDev -8.9%

Served from 12oz bottle about 40+ degrees. Again another IPA, my fourth since joining our beer club. Starts off with strong smell of a "booze like" scent if you will but doesnt have the strong bite of a liquor. Very surprising and pleasant finish. Thin lacing and about a 1" head when poured into sampling glass. Again another IPA with a punched up ABV that is pleasant.

DrRosenscrotum, Aug 22, 2010
4.22/5  rDev -1.4%

Presentation: 12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass. Bottled on date of 7/28/10 (less than one month old).

Appearance: Medium brown in color with a two finger beige head and some good retention. Nice amber highlights throughout.

Aroma: Pine and grapefruit notes from the hops with a really strong malt backbone of caramel. Very sweet hop aroma.

Taste: Some nice big hops upfront in pine and grapefruit notes. Some candied pineapple as well. The malt here is also very pronounced. Lots of caramel. Very sweet and good balance. The ABV is well hidden as well.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and crisp. Works nicely for a DIPA.

Drinkability: Well hidden ABV and a very balanced flavor make this really drinkable. I had two bottles on this occasion but definitely could have had more.

Overall, a really good example of an east coast imperial IPA. Really balanced and flavorful. Definitely something I pick up a four pack of all the time.

Gosox8787, Aug 21, 2010
4.08/5  rDev -4.7%

Pours a glorious crystal clear light amber-orange with a white, sticky head that lasts to the bottom of the glass.

Smells like bready malts and simcoe hops, extremely inviting, with an almost fruity sweetness. Excellent balance of aromas.

Unlike numerous versions of DIPAs, the hops do not totally dominate the show. This is true to the East Coast style which I prefer. The hop flavor makes itself known and brings a slight bite to the brew, but the sweet, fruity flavors are equally if not more powerful. Even though this beer is 9% ABV, the alcohol isn't noticeable at all; dangerous because I could drink a 12 pack of this (well I could at least try til I pass out).

Minimal carbonation and an amazing consistency. The mouthfeel is the balanced and full; smooth, malty, hoppy, wowzers I'm in love.

For a beer of such strength and complexity, it's incredibly easy to drink. A big, bold Imperial IPA that's as drinkable as any beer on the planet. If you like great beer, get your hands on this often overlooked gem.

claspada, Aug 21, 2010
4.55/5  rDev +6.3%

As someone who does not see this beer very often, getting my hands on this beer made me more than excited.

The pour on this beer shows the gold bronze color to this beer. Crystal clear and beautiful, this beer is really a work of art to look at. I wish I could have this much more often. The head is similar to 60 min, in that it is not too thick, but lingers through out the entire session. Even after letting it sit out for a bit, the lacing and some foam continue to persist.

Smelling this beer reveals piney, citrus, herbal and grapefruit. I'm sure I'm missing some part of this beer's nose, but I can hardly wait to taste it.

Hop overload is an understatement. One of the most hop solid beer I have ever had, and I know that I am drinking truly one of the best DIPA's in the country. I will leave telling you that if you have the chance have a glass or two and you will realize that DIPA's are one of the only good things in this world.

Bbloom1989, Aug 21, 2010

Bottle. Bottled on 6/18/10. Poured a gold orange clear color with a 1 finger head of tiny bubbles. Fairly strong piney aroma with some citrus characteristics, but mostly the pine. The first sip is a barage of bitterness with a nice balance of sweet malts. Finishes crisply with a lingering bitterness. Not too bitter in that it really kills your pallet but for sure more probably bitter than most people would like. Actually prefer this one over the 60 minute version. Medium mouthfeel.

kbutler1, Aug 20, 2010

Bottled 06/25/10.

A- Clear amber-red body with a one finger off-white head. Head has good retention and leaves a coat of fine, spotty lace.

S- Hops and sweet sugar, reminiscent of a west coast IIPA or Barleywine. Definite peach notes, earthy hops, caramel malt. Decent aroma strength.

T- Not quite as hoppy as the nose, more hop bitterness than flavor. The hops do, however, lend earthy and piney notes, just a bit of fruit and citrus. Booze comes through along with a good deal of sweetness. The malt is very heavy and unique, I have always liked the caramel, slightly roasty malt profile of this beer. It adds a new dimension to the style.

MF- Moderate body with high carbonation stinging the palate. The body is creamy and very warm. Lots of bitterness on the tongue.

DB- Strange how much a beer changes in my view in about a year. The thing I remember, and best part, is the malt profile here. It is just a bit roasty, toasty biscuit and caramel. Stronger and boozier than I remember, very aggressive. A Double IPA of a different brand, huge malt, alcohol and bitterness, the malt really makes this one what it is. This one draws a fine line between IIPA and Barleywine, try it if your one of the very few BAs that hasn't.

cbutova, Aug 20, 2010
4.47/5  rDev +4.4%

Pours an immaculately clear copper color with a thin white head. Visible carbonation is average; not super assertive nor lax.

The smell is sweet and malty without a trace of the biting alcoholic aroma I was expecting. Herbal-smelling hops, reminiscent of a British IPA.

The taste is very sweet, with quite a bit of sweetness coming from the significant 9% ABV. Hops bitterness, while pronounced, is not overpowering. The slightly roasted and sweet grain is exquisitely complex and perhaps a little atypical of what I would personally think of as an American IPA.

Thick-bodied and viscous, drinkability is excellent.

MrHassellYaHurd, Aug 19, 2010
4.3/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours a pretty, murky caramel color with lots of lively carbonation snowing upwards and culminating in an inch of thick, fluffy, cream-colored head that has very nice retention and shows some decent lacing.

DFH 90 smells sort of like a barleywine. Lots of sweet caramel and toffee malts come through in the nose, bolstered by a sweet and slightly spicy hop aroma that comes in after the initial malt rush. Pretty fragrant, too, you don't really have to search for the smell.

This is a damn good beer, but a very malt-forward IPA. Once again, the sweet, thick caramel malts show up first and foremost, providing a solid backbone upon which some sweet, candied citrus and spicy hop flavor build upon. Bitterness is nearly non-existent. A slight bit of alcohol comes through towards the end of each sip, giving a slightly dry feel to the finish.

The mouthfeel is thick and juicy, which goes nicely with the malty background of the beer. Medium bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation and a little nip of alcohol.

Overall, this is a very good beer. I love the fact that it's different from 60 minute IPA in that it's much maltier and a bit thicker. Different strokes for different folks, but I like 'em both. Another very drinkable beer from DFH, even at 9% alcohol. Now all that's left is to try the 120 minute.

feelmefoam, Aug 19, 2010
3.95/5  rDev -7.7%

I had this beer knowing that dogfish knows how to do an extraordinary IPA. I have few complaints about the beer, it poured such a beautiful amber-brown and was so perfectly hoppy I shed a tear for beerkind...but told everybody else it was only my allergies...

The first thing you come into with this beer is just what "90 minutes of constant hop addition" can do to a well crafted malt. It was truly a tasty reminder to why I enjoy IPAs so much.
Of course this dogfish head has an ABV well above normal, but i'm not complaining. Although 9% does push the limits of personal drinkability, it was surprisingly gulp-able.

I certainly enjoyed this beer and wouldn't hesitate in purchasing it again.

ThePorterSorter, Aug 18, 2010
4.25/5  rDev -0.7%

Pours an amber-orange colour with huge white head. Good head retention as the head settles down a bit and lacing surrounding the glass. Not sure how the appearance could be improved. Smells of piney hops and lots of caramel sweetness. Tastes like a very well balanced double IPA. Sometimes I'm in the mood for a hop bomb, in which case this wouldn't be the right beer, but for a balanced double IPA with lots of malt, not sure this can be beat.

kwjd, Aug 18, 2010
4.3/5  rDev +0.5%

Picked up a 4 pack a while back. Last one left in the fridge.

A- Poured darker amber color. Good size head to it. Stuck around for a bit. Left nice lacing.

S- Nice aroma of citrus hop to it. Pretty subtle. Smells like it's going to have a good bite to it.

T- Starts out with nice citrus, pine hop taste. Malts balance out quickly to make for a very smooth drink. The balance is perfect as the beer ends with no emphasis on hops or malts, just great balance.

M- Medium to full body. Moderate carbonation. Some bitterness to it.

D- Very good beer! Good hop flavors to it. The alcohol is masked very well. Does start to come out a bit as it warms, but still nice. Felt like I could drink a few, but did creep up on me.

HosP, Aug 18, 2010
3.88/5  rDev -9.3%

I really enjoy this beer. I've had it a few times but finally getting around to reviewing it.

A - Pours a clear-gold color with a plain white quarter inch head that sticks to the glass. Really nice

S - The citrisy and fruity hops come out first then the malt hits you in the face. This smells balanced...the hops don't overwhelm the malty goodness.

T - First the piney hops and alcohol hit you then the malt and more alcohol. Maybe this has been sitting around for a while because I remember more hops from previous tasting. Nonetheless the alcohol really stands out here and adds a nice peppery finish.

M - Full and highly carbonated but very rich for an IPA. Nice

D - Again the alcohol really stands out...much more so than before. I do like this beer but where did the hops go?

DFH always seems to draw either a lot of praise or a lot of disdain. I happen to enjoy most of what they put out and this is no exception.

boomer31, Aug 18, 2010
4.2/5  rDev -1.9%

Pours a nice clear copper with a long lasting two finger white head. Decent carbonation with great lacing.

Smells of hops, floral and citrus. Some sweetness in there as well, slight raisin.

Tastes like an IPA, this one's got a big, sweet malt note. Some dark fruits in the malt, but not too strong, caramel and bread in the malt as well. Hops come out at the end and unleash their flavor and grapefruit. Not overly bitter. I'd say almost a 50/50 mix of strong malt and hops.

A little thick, pretty wet. Alcohol is noticeable sometimes.

If this wasn't 9%, it would be pretty darn drinkable.

BranfordBound, Aug 18, 2010
3.88/5  rDev -9.3%

I had the Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA at the Brewpub as well as the Brewery and it was a well made beer. It had the taste of what most IPAs wish they had. This beer is one of the best beers that Dogfish Head makes and it is very unfortunate that many local distributors don't care this great beer.

hastings, Aug 17, 2010
4.22/5  rDev -1.4%

A - Copper/light amber color with a large foamy and fluffy white head. Good retention with a decent layer of lace that sticks behind.

S - Good amount of different hoppy aromas come out with citrus/orange aroma, tropical fruit (mango, some pineapple, grapefruit, and others). Some floral and pine also present. Good backbone of caramel and other sweet malt aroma.

T - Similar to the nose. A lot of the hop flavors are sweeter fruit flavors along with touches of floral and pine flavors. Along with the sweeter caramel malt, this is a bit of a sweeter IPA. Not a lot of caramel flavor, but some, and definitely a malt presence in this one. There is a nice spiced and bitterness underneath this and some more earthy flavors as well.

M - Fuller side of medium body with a good amount of carbonation. Pretty smooth.

D - Pretty easy to drink with lots of fruity hop flavors. Definitely has a sweeter side, but there is enough bitterness and other flavors that it isn't cloying. Alcohol is pretty well hidden.

Notes: Overall this is a pretty good beer. Lots of fruity hop flavors and it comes off a little on the sweet side for the style(somewhat barleywine like), but it isn't cloying. Nice, easy to drink beer that is a good quality and easy to find beer.

FreshHawk, Aug 17, 2010