90 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

90 Minute IPA90 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute IPA "perhaps the best IPA in America." An imperial IPA best savored from a snifter, 90 Minute has a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate.

90 Minute IPA was the first beer we continuously hopped, allowing for a pungent -- but not crushing -- hop flavor.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 90 Minute IPA Alström Bros
4.4/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a fantastic Imperial IPA, though not so far beyond the 60 minute IPA to warrant the double price tag (in my opinion).

This is a kicked up version of the 60, with more intensity from the hops and a darker hue. The nose is similar, the texture lovely (what would you expect from these guys) and the finish superb. Again, a stellar beer, one that I drink on occasion... but the 60 minute IPA gets my nod for price and quality.

Worthy!

cbarrett4, Apr 06, 2011
4.4/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

In light of a recent thread here that brought me back to my first discovery of 90 Minute, here's my review. Transcribed from notes dating 3/2/2010.

A: Light mahogany brown body with a full, thick and creamy slightly off-white head. Evident carbonation bubbles in the glass and wonderful lace rings.

S: Sweet caramel malt base is up front, followed by some grassy and earthy hops. A slight bitterness is present but not as noticeable in comparison to say, the 60 Minutes. The nose here seems much more balanced and sweet.

T: It doesn't get much better than this, folks. Sweet roasted caramel malt, hints of espresso, faint bitterness from the hops, no citrus qualities to speak of. A lot sweeter than I expected for an IIPA (at the time).

M: Medium-bodied, almost chewy, perfect carbonation.

This beer made me fall in love with IPAs in general and there is no reason for me not to review it on here. Well done, Sam and company.

ShanePB, Apr 06, 2011
4.68/5  rDev +9.3%

Appearance - Dark orange lots of carbonation 1 finger of thick creamy head and very thick lacing.

Smell - Pine Hops with sweet malts.

Taste - Oh god its like heaven in my mouth the head is like pure cream and after you get through that its rich sweet malts with some fruit in here. Not "grapefruitish" as the 60 minute but still there. The finish is all sweet sugary malts.

Mouthfeel - Very rich brew here no hop bite all but its a medium body with a soft feel going down. Little dry on the after taste very warming going down.

Overall - Very rich brew here gets even richer as it warms up I'd like it to be less rich as it warms but still nice all around. A must try for anyone that likes a good IPA, go grab yourself one and give it a go.

Jinholic, Apr 06, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +3.5%

Appearance - Clear amber body with a thick white foamy head with good retention and lacing.

Smell - Grassy and hoppy. Typical for IPA.

Taste - Hoppy?

Mouthfeel - Full.

Overall - So smooth. One of the best IPAs I've ever had. No off flavors whatsoever.

ZenAgnostic, Apr 06, 2011
4.75/5  rDev +11%

Appearance: Honey amber. Brilliant creamy head about 1/3 inch thick that sticks to the glass. Slightly opaque, slightly clouded. Large amount of lacing.

Smell: Was it brewed in wood? A heavy dose of Cocoa malt hits my nose. There is a also a nice dose of vanilla and slight smokey smell. Heavy smell of alcohol that isn't really masked by the other ingredients. Hops smell like a mix of citrus and pine. Aromatic hops somewhat lacking.

Taste: This is my first review of an East coast DIPA and it is definitely much malted than it's west coast counterparts. I like the way the bitterness blends right in with the malt. It all hits you at once. Bread with a blend of tough chewy malts that leave a spicy caramel impression. 90 minute has a huge hop profile ranging from extremely bitter to citric. Every sip is different. The hops are grapefruit, pine and apple peel. I love the refreshing punch flavor, it sort of taste like rum punch. Some wild uncontrolled esters and phenols enhance the taste of the beer. It is in no way restrained. Lots of character. The bitterness is pleasant. Finishes toasted malts, very warming and refreshing at the same time.

Mouthfeel: Very chewy. 90 minute is a solid bodied beer in look and taste. You can't really go wrong with a beer that paid just as much attention to the malts as it did to the hops. This beer is a masterpiece in texture.

Drinkability: Very good. It may be hard to put back more than one of these in sitting because of the heavy ABV and the medium body but I sure want to. The flavors are so clear. It taste of alcohol which in this case is good. It's a strong beautiful drink that can definitely hold its own in all the saloons across the world. One Bourbon, one Scotch, one 90 Minute!

BerkeleyBeerMan, Apr 05, 2011
4.93/5  rDev +15.2%

I'm in the tank for Dogfish Head 90 minute and looked forward to loving this, which had been in the growler almost two days when reopened, with a champagne-bottle "pop!" Carbonation speaking to me.

Respectful offspring pours for me, into one of those pretty tulipy Sam Adams perfect pint lager glasses. This is a familiar, lovely looking brew: handsome white head over burnt orange body. It sits there with a kind of haughty grandeur, as if it comprehended its distinguished pedigree and reputation. Its lacing is fine - like tree rings - I cannot believe it has been in the growler for as long as it has and has been opened twice for pouring.

Hops overpower the nose, delightful, citrusy hops, with a bare undertone of malty sweetness. I don't want to take my schnozzle out of the glass, inhaling, exhaling, and consider hitting it nasally.

As much as I expect the sock of hops after lingering long on the fragrance, in the mouth it surpasses my expectations. Big big big. As bitter as can be, but something about this refined bitterness connects with higher mammalian neurology and lodges squarely in the pleasure center of the brain, which cries, "again!" The carbonation is present but discernible only if you're trying really really hard. Otherwise its just hippity hoppity hops.

This is it, really. I should just give it straight 5s and be a total Dogfish Ho', then go back to the brewery - only 2.5 hours off - and fill my trunk.

PaulfromNoVa, Apr 05, 2011
4.78/5  rDev +11.7%

A: A generous pour yields a two finger white head over a dark orange ale with beautiful carbonation.

S: A beautiful hop aroma hits the nose immediately, not overly citrusy but more of a floral and herbal hop aroma, followed by some malt sweetness.

T: This is exceptional. Powerful, but not overbearing, floral and slightly citrusy hops make up the middle which are immediately followed by a malty and slightly caramelly finish, and probably because of this bottle's temperature, a bit of a boozy finish.

M: Moderate carbonation with a slightly sticky, though very smooth, draught.

O: This is probably my favorite imperial IPA right now, maybe next to Avery's Maharaja. It's quite exceptional, and dogfish head is an amazing brewery.

Krakistophales, Apr 04, 2011
4.45/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

So freaking good! This IPA doesn't mess around. The brew is a deep copper color with an intense hop aroma that is unrelenting from start to finish. The flavors are so refreshing, Citrus, Pine, amongst many other types of bitter flavors just flooding this beer. The hop flavors are fresh and juicy, which make this such a treat to drink. The head doesn't stick around for a long while but it does have a nice lacing down the glass with every sip you take. There is no mistake that this beer is truly a gem. I must try for any hophead!

Knapp85, Apr 02, 2011
4.6/5  rDev +7.5%

I saw this on tap in a bar in vegas and knew I had to try it. Just so the reader knows where I am coming from I am not usually a fan of IPAs so I was nervous to try this one.
That being said I was very impressed with this beer. The taste of this beer is out standing. You get a ton of flavor and hops without a sacrificing the smoothness of the beer. There is a slight bitterness to the after taste that reminds me of other IPAs but this beer has a significantly better taste. It also leaves you mouth feeling quenched without any dryness to it. This is a great beer to have over dinner. Cheers.

chiccabeer, Apr 01, 2011
4.22/5  rDev -1.4%

I am using a crystal beer mug and the beer shines a deep golden and clear brown almost amber. The head is a creamy off white and leaves good lacing on the glass.
Smelling the beer a very complex arrangement of aromas announce a great taste. Dark fruit like plum, apricot, little citrus, caramel , butterscotch, malt.
The taste is bringing all those aromas together. Upfront a citrus apricot combo mixed with the little bit of dark fruit, in the middle being joint by caramel , butterscotch and a dose of other good barley flavor . At the end the carefully selected hops balance the sweetness of the beer to perfection.
The carbonation is good and the beer leaves a nice mild tingle in your mouth, making it watering for the next sip.
Great beer!!!

Hopfenpeter, Mar 31, 2011
4.45/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Hoppy hoppy hoppy. This is an unreal IPA from Dogfish. Not always a huge fan of the overdone IPA's, but this one is something special. It has bitterness and flavor at the same time. Very complex flavors with caramel and some fruits (apricots and orange). Very nice ale with a very drinkable quality. The high ABV makes it a special treat and especially good with some bread, cheese, etc. Nothing to drink with a meal, just enjoy!

Schwarzwald, Mar 29, 2011
4.22/5  rDev -1.4%

A: light brown/deep orange body, gorgeous 2 finger head, fine lacing

S: grass/earthy/pine, whiff of slight citrus dancing

T: spice, citrus up front, earthy/grass middle, slow long bitter finish

M: medium/heavy body, big carbonation, mild sticky

O: Very nice Double IPA, not world class. This fine brew is a sipper, but may also find oneself gulping it a little too rapidly.

ENJOY!

BeerLover99, Mar 28, 2011
3.95/5  rDev -7.7%

Sampled from a 12 oz. glass bottle into a 32 oz. mug.

A: Pours a huge frothy biscuit brown head with a luxurious amount of cling. Lacing is in ringy clouds all down the mug.

S: Smells of green grass and burnt toffee.

T: Clover, semi-sweet caramel with a wet bitter citrus rind middle and a lemon dry ending.

M: Slightly over-carbonated for my tastes leaves the mouth a little stingy in combination with the higher alcohol content. Warming on the back end yet well balanced. A beer to respect.

O: A solid quality crafted American double IPA. Not overly bitter, a good introductory beer to strong IPA's.

Aiptasia, Mar 27, 2011
4.2/5  rDev -1.9%

I picked up a single of this at the Lager Mill for $2.55. I have never had any beer from Dogfish Head before so I think the time has come for me to pop my cherry and see what all the hype is about. I know I probably should of started with the 60 minute but that one wasn't on the singles shelf so 90 minute it is. No visible bottling date. Poured from a 12oz brown bottle into a pint glass.

A- I like the simplistic labeling, it works with this brew, also good description on how the beer is brewed. This beer poured a nice looking amber color with three fingers worth of fluffy white head that died down to a thick ring that left lots of nice lacing. This is one good looking brew.

S- The aroma is dominated by citrus fruits, mainly grapefruit and mangos. I can pick up some sweetness from the malts but the aroma is all about the hops. Smells good can't wait to try it.

T- The taste is very similar to the aroma. The citrus hops are at the forefront of this brew. Mangos, grapefruits, and oranges are present. The malts provide a nice backbone for this beer and the sweetness goes good with the bitterness, pretty well balanced. I can pick up a little Alcohol but not much.

M- Creamy, medium bodied, and excellent carbonation.

Overall I thought this was a pretty good DIPA. All the flavors I would expect from a DIPA were there and executed very well. This beer also looked damn good, the head and lacing was everything I want from a DIPA. The price per ounce is about the same as Hop Stupid, next time I want a good DIPA I might be inclined to get 2 singles of this rather then my go to bomber of Hop Stupid. This beer made a good first impression for Dogfish Head on me and I would love to see what else they have. Now I see why so many people love this beer.

StoutHunter, Mar 27, 2011
3.35/5  rDev -21.7%

I had this right after drinking a Central Waters DIPA and the first thing I noticed was that there was less taste/bitterness/hoppiness to this one than the Central Waters brew. Now that could be both a good and bad thing. On the one hand, if you are looking to really sip and savor an Imperial IPA then this one maybe is a little weak tasting for me. On the other hand though, if you are looking for something that goes down easy despite the high alcohol content, then you might want to pick the Dogfish Head version.

The smell has hints of fruit but also maybe a little wheat which was odd to me. A bitter taste but not overpowering.

mjpolzin, Mar 27, 2011
4.28/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle in to an imperial pint glass. Pours a translucent amber color with a 1" cream colored head. Lots of bubbles floating quickly to the top.

It has a nice citrus & pine scent to it. And some caramel like sweetness to it. For the 9% alcohol I don't really pick up on the alcohol taste as much as I would have expected. I can feel it a touch at the end of swallow.

The sweet taste really comes through for me, and that sweetness stays in the aftertaste as well. I don't get the big citrus taste that I would expect from a big IPA. Has a nice creamy feel in my mouth.

perryw, Mar 26, 2011

This is still my favorite beer, nothing has come close to the first time i tried this beer a couple of year ago!

Amazing color, feel on the palatte, and overall taste that i think defines the genre of imperial IPA.

If you don't get dogfish head where you live, trade to get this beer, it is the best!

calcio360jrd, Mar 25, 2011
4.05/5  rDev -5.4%

Poured into a Stone Imperial glass. On the darker side of orange. Lots of bubbles and a beautiful two finger bright white, silky, thick, sticky head. Lace is sticking around in patches like the winter snow in the shade.

Smell is sweet malts. Some citrus, maybe an orange. I also get some biscuit smell.

Tastes is similar to the smell mild citrus hop in the front turns to sweet and then I get the yeast. I would have to say the malts win the battle, but very well balanced. Getting a bit of the alcohol as it warms a bit.

The feel is outstanding. Not a hole in this from front to back. Rich, silky and full to the end. I have to keep licking the sweet malts off of my lips.

I have had this many times in the past but I don't think I have had one this fresh, dated 02/03/11, so it's 6 weeks old. Not bad for across the country and up into the mountains of Arizona. It isn't a West Coast hop punch of an Imperial but that doesn't mean it's not a great DIPA. Highly recommended!!

azdback, Mar 25, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

Just popped the cap and I was in hop heaven. Slight golden color with a new creamy head..
The taste was even better than I thought. It filled my entire mouth and the finish was even better than the start.
Cant say I detected any fruits, malt or other characteristics...
To me is was HOP HOP HOP

Second Tasting 05/28/12

As I have tasted more and more IPA type beers, I've come to realize what I like, what I am looking for and what I do not like. After tasting many beers in the > 100 IBU , I feel this one is more balanced than when I first tasted it.
The hops are there, no question about it, but the aroma is more grapefruit and citrus I also picked up pleasant barley aroma.

the taste was so smooth. Hops, Barley came across very balanced with citrus overtones. Each sip was "rich' and full. Nothing holding back with the taste on this one.

I do get a bit of full roundness that I experienced with their 120 brow. There was a common ground of flavours here.

Made me think about all my wine tasting experiences. With Italaian wines, there is always an 'earthy' aroma and taste. With French wines, its the slight mineral flavor from the slate and soils, and the New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc that are rich in taste with a full grapefruit taste.

Dogfish Head beers, specifically their IPA types, all have a distinct aroma, feel and flavor the I am beginning to feel I could detect without seeing the bottle.

rdilauro, Mar 24, 2011
4.8/5  rDev +12.1%

Quite possibly the best IPA I have tasted. Has the ABV that I desire (and demand) in an IPA. Smells great and the hops are not overwhelming like Hop Ottin' IPA. A minute or two after a taste I still have the great taste ruminating in my mouth. Tastes nearly as good in bottle as it does on tap. Price is worth it.

Clownpants, Mar 24, 2011
3.6/5  rDev -15.9%

A - poured a transparent golden/ slight amber color with a frothy white but with the hint of yellow head. left some nice lacing.

S- just smell malts with the slightest citrusy/ floral hop scent. nothing too crazy or what i think an american double/ imperial ipa should be.

T- well it's not bad. too much malt presence tho. alcohol is detected but very slightly.

M- medium bodied. good carbonation.

D- i would pick up a 4 pack down the road but it's not the 1st nor 30th on my list.

claminat420, Mar 22, 2011
3.7/5  rDev -13.6%

Served from a bottle

A- very average appearance. pale straw color and minimal lacing on the glass.

S- strong hop aroma with some sweet malty character to it.

T- very well balanced malt and hops flavor. more malt character and less hops in comparison to the 60 minute ipa.

M- average mouthfeel. light to medium bodied. malt flavor stuck around a little longer than an average ipa but hops hung around for quite a while.

O- A very well balanced ipa with a little more hop character than usual

jester5120, Mar 22, 2011
4.1/5  rDev -4.2%

A: Pours a slightly reddish amber, with a fair amount of dense foamy off-white head. Enough of a layer retains to leave decent lacing.

S: Syrupy malty sweetness, with major citrus notes. Fairly big aroma, but reasonably nice balance.

T: Like the smell would suggest, huge sweetness followed by citrusy hops. The bitterness is balanced enough by the sweetness that the finish isn't really bitter. There's also some grain flavors, with a slight astringency on the finish.

M: Medium to full body, medium carbonation.

D: It's a big beer, and it doesn't hide that fact, but it's still fairly drinkable anyway.

seand, Mar 21, 2011
1.95/5  rDev -54.4%

I purchased this beer at Grape and Grain Wines and Spirits in Memphis, TN. The label was interesting, with a rough paper surface and a design and theme somewhere between "handcrafted" and "homemade" with intentionally misaligned letters and simple graphics. The beer itself, however, proved to be rather underwhelming.

A: Golden in color with moderate clarity and some head. Pretty typical for a pale ale.

S: Immediately I noticed that this beer smelled fruity. Very, very fruity, sort of like an inexpensive red wine. The aroma was bright and carried for a considerable distance. The smell was one-dimensional, with no subtlety or additional smell besides fruit and a bit of hops.

T: The initial taste has an overwhelming flavor of grapefruit that buries most of the other flavors in the beer. A bright, spritzy bitter flavor struggles to rise above the cloying grapefruit-juice taste but doesn't become prominent until the first grapefruit tidal wave recedes somewhat, and is accompanied by a warming alcohol flavor that becomes stronger in the finish--at 9% ABV this is a beer of considerable potency.

M: Average. Not too thin, not too thick, not noteworthy enough to draw your attention away from the bizarre grapefruit taste.

D: Difficult. The extreme ester/fruit flavor is loud, sweet, and in-your-face, making drinking it something of a slog. I would not recommend this beer to anyone who is not a big fan of fruity-tasting ales.

Overall, this is a very coarse and very one-dimensional beer with almost no subtlety at all. It takes one aspect of an ale and cranks it up to ridiculous levels at the expense of everything else. If this is a typical example of Dogfish Head's product I honestly cannot understand all the praise they get. It's like a comic book--big loud bright colors and lots of superficial flash, but no subtlety or balance.

Sorvahr, Mar 20, 2011
3.93/5  rDev -8.2%

Appearance: Clear amber color with thick off-white head.

Smell: Hops, toffee, and some fruity notes. the hop notes come through as more of the neutral varieties, just a trace of pine and citrus fruit.

Taste: Toffee and caramel notes come through almost concurrently with the hop notes which mirror the nose ( just a trace of pine and citrus fruit).

Mouth-feel: Medium body and good carbonation level.

Drink-ability: Very good to my tastes.

The fact that I like this beer and I'm nobody's hop head makes me think the true hop heads might want a more upfront hop presence. The balance works for me though.

IKR, Mar 19, 2011