90 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

90 Minute IPA90 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute IPA "perhaps the best IPA in America." An imperial IPA best savored from a snifter, 90 Minute has a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate.

90 Minute IPA was the first beer we continuously hopped, allowing for a pungent -- but not crushing -- hop flavor.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 90 Minute IPA Alström Bros
LordAdmNelson

3.98/5  rDev -7%

A- Color is good-- a deep amber--but little or no head with little retention and lacing.

S- Smells great, a nice blend of big citrus hops with some honey and caramel sweetness.

T- At first it's really sweet. Big honey, caramel, and light molasses notes overpower some of the hops. Swishing it around brings out some of that hop bitterness that I was looking for. Hops are primarily citrus (orange zest, grapefruit) and floral. Not bad at all, but a little sweet for my taste. Would love to see some darker malt in this to make a great barleywine. Also could probably make a great black and tan out of it.

M- Thick and oily. Little or no carbonation. There's not a lot to keep this moving. I'd look for a mouthfeel like this in a RIS, not an IIPA. But strangely with the thick, sugary taste, it works.

D- OK, but I'd probably only have one. The lack of carbonation here hurts this one.

All in all, not a bad brew. There are some problems with it, in my opinion. I feel like I'm trying to compare it to an IPA and not an IIPA--like it doesn't know which style to be in (big bold harsh flavors or more subdued ones). This one grows on me as I drink it. Similar sweetness makes me interested to see if I could tackle the 120 the second time around.

05-14-2009 19:09:39 | More by LordAdmNelson
coldmeat23

Oklahoma

4.6/5  rDev +7.5%

GLASS: Snifter
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 45 degrees
BOTTLING DATE: 01/30/09

Pours a bright copper color with serious orange highlighting. Two-fingers of creamy, light orange tinted foam. Retention is great. Lacing is spotty and very sticky.

Great big hop presence mixes with big sweet malt notes. Caramel covered pieces of grapefruit and pineapple. Apples and raisins in pine sap. Mild presence of nice yeastiness. Nice hint of floral notes.
This is a fabulous smelling beer.

Big, rich, butterey caramel notes hit me first. Floral and citrus hops notes follow, leading up to a nice bitter kiss on the finish. A taste of bread made with fresh fruits and drizzled with pine infused caramel.
This is exactly what I want from an IIPA. Huge hops and malts working together to make an incredible balance that is completely enjoyable.

Thick, rich, smooth and creamy. Nice full body. This is the embodiment of what I love about beers.

The 9.0%ABV is so cleverly hidden that this one could be extremely dangerous, if you aren't careful. Very drinkable.

05-13-2009 02:24:08 | More by coldmeat23
rodney45

4.58/5  rDev +7%

remember in Jurassic park, when they show you the fossil insect in the tree amber... thats the color of this beer. Smells like raspberry, and black tea, with a deep rich hop scent. If they made this in a car freshener I would wear it around my neck. Taste is very complex. At first its just hops, playing solo. Then a balance of deep malt pushes through, and adds a harmony. Then, as if threatened, the hops re-emerge, and play a floral symphony on your tounge, highlighted by grapefruit, apricot and raspberry. You're left with a very nice dry ether finish after its all said and done. It has a very splendid mouthfeel, and its dangerously drinkable.

05-12-2009 02:47:37 | More by rodney45
AdmiralDiaz

3.7/5  rDev -13.6%

Poured from 12oz bottle to pint glass.

A: Pours a very dark copper with a small light brown head with some retention and not much lacing.

S: Smells very strongly of fruit, strong caramel, and floral hops.

T: Very similar to the smell, however it's waay more caramely than I expected. Strong caramel with fruit dominate most of this DIPA, however hops do come in but are more bitter than flavorful. Alcohol come out a decent amount as well. Not really my style.

Overall: Mouthfeel was very good, small bubbles of carbonation were strong and consistent. Fairly drinkable, I just wouldn't want much.

05-09-2009 04:03:47 | More by AdmiralDiaz
bwd110

4.43/5  rDev +3.5%

Figured I'd review 90 minute, since there is an ever rotating fresh supply in my fridge....

12oz bottle poured into DFH Snifter.

A: Pours a nice golden brown, yielding a fluffy white head. Full lacing, nice tight bubbles. Doesn't appear to be heavily carbonated.

S: I may be a little biased here, I'm a big fan of east coast, read: well balanced, IPAs and DIPAs. Love me some left coast hop bombs, but 90 minute's aroma is awesome. Nice bready character in the nose, biscuity caramel sweetness is very detectable. Plays nicely off of the tropical citrus characteristics of the hops. Damn near perfect.

T: Just what an IIPA should be... Big dose of hops smack the lips and tongue immediately. Citrus flavors follow through from the nose - grapefruit, orange and even a little apricot. This brew has some malt bill. The sweet, bready malts wash right over the hops and smooth the hell out of this beer. Hops end in only a mild bitterness that kind of lingers, not a crisp dry finish at all.

M: Super smooth and creamy from the generous amounts of malt. Medium body, real light, but not too light carbonation. This one hits the mark for the subtle carbonation a big DIPA should possess.

D: 9%? I cry B.S... so well hidden. I drink one of these and don't want to get off of them for the rest of the evening.

05-09-2009 00:04:39 | More by bwd110
Yimosan

4.43/5  rDev +3.5%

Had it on tap the first time at Datz Deli in Tampa and was very impressed with the smoothness of this beer. Prior to the IPA I had a couple of stouts and the first impression was Passion Fruit, BIG time! Now, I've had a few in bottles, since then and the taste is totally different!

A: Honey golden in color with a 1 inch head that holds beautifully. Good looking lacing after every swig.

S: Fruity, sweet malt, and a little herbaciousness from the hops, I presume.

M: Full round long lasting flavor, with a nice stinging effect on the back palate.

T: Sweet malt at first, citrus follows, and then a nice short-lived bitter kick that entices you to swirl your tulip glass and sip it again and again. This beer gets better as it warms up, trust me.

D: The alcohol is well hidden so you don't feel it, but don't be mistaken, at 9% ABV, it can kick your butt if you're not paying attention.

NOTE: I am not a Hop-head, but so far this is my favorite hoppy brew...by far!

Salud!

05-08-2009 23:19:19 | More by Yimosan
jpinkard

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

I really enjoy this beer. Alcohol is well hidden, easy to drink and a good starter to pull people into the world to great beer.

A: A deep deep copper with a solid inch of head, lacing ran through out.

S: Hops dominate but it is fairly delicate considering how hoppy this beer is. The smell changes in my nose from a light cirtus to scotch. Really its hard to pinpoint anything on the nose other then an inviting hop oil well balanced with a dark malty afterburn that differs depending on how long the beer has been poured. The longer it sits out, the more pronounced the malts become.

T: Hops right off the bat but not overpowering surprisingly. There is a great deal of malt to backbone this beer, although subtle. Carmely yet bitter at the same time, almost to the point that it boggles your melon if the hops is dominating, which it does at the end, or the deep malt flavor is up top.

M: Excellent. Cask beer is unbeatable. This is thick and creamy. I almost want a dollop of Ice cream to go along with it the creamy is so good. Gets slightly syrupy as the beer warms but this is to be expected.

D: Well, I could drink this until, well, until i finished 4-5 and had to call it a night or else I would be out hitting on overweight women and telling them I worked for a fortune 500 company, which of course is very far from the truth.

Side note: Had this beer on tap in Ann Arbor, handpumped at almost room temp. Brought a whole complexity to the beer and made it basically liquid gold.

05-07-2009 21:28:30 | More by jpinkard
BobbyBeerman

4.28/5  rDev 0%

A: Poured a pale coper/amber color. Vigorous pouring produced a two-finger head that never really disappeared but did reduce to a thin but noticeable layer. It persisting throughout the entire experience leaving serious lacing.

S: The strong citrusy aroma of hops is clearly dominant. There is something in the background that I can't quite put my finger on due to the hoppiness.

T: Bold up front bitterness and hoppiness that is truly enjoyable.

M: It feels like my mouth is coated a little from the hops oil but it isn't an unpleasant experience. Might be a little vigorous in the carbonation department.

D: Even with the strong flavor and slightly higher carbonation I still found this one easy to drink and very enjoyable. Granted I can start to feel the 9.0% ABV as I'm getting to the end of the glass (I sip and enjoy beer). I would and am going to highly recommend this one to my friends/customers.

05-07-2009 02:17:21 | More by BobbyBeerman
rmaste6282

I had this beer a few weeks ago on tap at Stone, but didn't really know what to expect after having the Bear Republic Apex. This beer has much more malt texture than CA style IPA/Imperial IPA's. To put my taste preference aside, this beer pours great, a darker beer, more like an amber ale color. The smell is somewhat sweet, hoppy, almost floral. The smell reminds me of the Hairy Eye Ball from Lagunitas. Taste is hoppy, but balanced with caramel maltiness, definately has a big malt finish. The carbonation is light, but fits the style. Overall, this is a good Imperial IPA, but if you are looking for West Coast style IPA be warned, the malts are pretty heavy.

05-07-2009 02:10:34 | More by rmaste6282
augustgarage

4.2/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured from a 12oz bottle (bottled on 1/30/09) into my Dogfish Head snifter.

Unique fruity/floral aroma escape from the bottle the moment you pop the cap. Liquid is a burnt orange, capped by a thin ivory head that settles into a small ring with persistent lacing.

The smell is redolent of hops, but not intensely concentrated. It is a sophisticated and unusual blend of fruit (citrus, persimmon, white grapes) and fresh cut flowers. It is sweet on the palate (all that barley?), a little wood, pine, grapefruit, and spirit show up as you move the beer around your mouth. Finish seems dry on the sides of your tongue, with a mild astringency, yet the sweetness persists as well (caramel, malt). Delicious. Medium bodied with modest but sufficient carbonation. Alcohol level is just right. Clean yet flavorful, maybe a little sweet for the style; not as hop-forward as I was expecting...still, a superior brew.

05-07-2009 01:48:15 | More by augustgarage
cbros

4.22/5  rDev -1.4%

Serving type- 12 ounce bottle poured into a mug.

A- Pours a deep golden yellow, almost amber color, with a finger lace, very nice cling and alot of carbonation activity after the pour.

S- Strong hop presence hits you right away, there is also a nice fruit smell underlining the hops, my guess would be citrus, maybe orange or tangerine. You also can smell a little alcohol to.

T- This is a hoppy beer that also has tastes of orange and tangerine. Very nice flavor combination and this is the reason to buy this beer. This IPA is powerful yet smooth with a nice balance and full body. There is a bitter note that presents itself at the end of the drink. Overall a powerful and well balanced beer.

Have been looking this beer over for awhile and finally broke down and bought a loosy to try. This is a very good DIPA and I am glad that I tried it. As far as other DIPA's go this is on par with the top tier ones. I would definately have this again but I would probably not choose this Imperial IPA first.

05-06-2009 23:28:00 | More by cbros
merryjoulton

Arkansas

3.88/5  rDev -9.3%

Pours a deep amber with a quickly dissipating head that leaves lacing all down the glass. Smells of sticky, piny, citrusy, did I say sticky? Tastes very bitter, but there is a hint of booze. Mouthfeel is great with just enough body and drinkability is high.

05-06-2009 03:54:51 | More by merryjoulton
BZero007

4.45/5  rDev +4%

Pours a lovely amber color clear with swirls of orange swiming threw. The head forms easily and does not have to be forced. Head coloring is an off white and looks thick and full. Aroma is very refreshing as the hops citrus powers threw with a fruity and malty background. I feel that every sip is a powered by a different factor. Sometimes the malt is in the foreground and sometimes the Hops are powering threw. Which ever is first to the finish the flavor in secound balances lovely. This beers carbonation is perfect and is not heavy at all as you drink. Which can be a bit dangerous as it can sneak up on you. This beer has become a staple in my beer fridge.

05-05-2009 22:06:20 | More by BZero007
AVDeuph

4.33/5  rDev +1.2%

Have had this creation from Dogfish Head on several different occasions, finally doing a review. It has always been one of my favorites in the style.

A: A thick, lusty orange that is cloudy and semi-opaque, yet translucent enough that I am able to watch the carbonation rise when the glass is given some light. One-finger head with moderate retention. This is the quintessential color for a DIPA.

S: Citrus-y hops dominate the aroma, virtually no alcoholic smell, very inviting. I have had this on cask once before and the aromatic prowess of this beer is even more fantastic in that case. I'm looking forward to this one warming (I just angrily turned the thermostat on my beer fridge up because this came out way too cold).

T: Dependably, predictably hoppy. Grapefruit flavors quite pleasant, and you almost forget that this beer is actually bitter. Very nice.

M: Low, compact carbonation. The 90-minute is medium-thick and slightly clingy, but not in the crazy-girlfriend way. No this is more of a satisfying and reciprocated connection between beer and drinker.

D: One of the most drinkable 9% beers I've ever had. Alcohol is not overly warm nor overly present, making this DIPA a "yeah I'll have another" kind of treat.

05-05-2009 01:46:40 | More by AVDeuph
photomike

4.25/5  rDev -0.7%

Pours a clear amber into my DFH pint glass with a very respectable looking hard white head. Everlasting sticky lacing from the top of my glass to the bottom. Looks great.

Smell is ultra sweet malt, piney hops and intoxicating alcohol.

Taste is very well balanced for a DIPA. Very malty and sweet, moreso than hoppy I would say, but the hops are big and peppery and piney. Alcohol is present, but well hidden given its high percentage. Full bodied, intense flavor.

Mouthfeel is full bodied and chewy; perfectly carbonated.

Drinkability is high for a 9% beer, but I think the sweetness and alcohol would get to me after more than 2. This is not an overly sweet beer, but it is definitely not sessionable.

Very, very tasty.

05-02-2009 23:02:12 | More by photomike
DavoleBomb

Poured into a snifter.

3.5 A: Dark orange color. Two fingers of creamy head with disappointing retention and plenty of lacing.

4.5 S: Lots of citrus hops, grapefruit stands out followed by some tangerine. Malts are overshadowed by the hops, which is fine with me.

4.0 T: Not all that hoppy, but very tasty. Herbal hops mesh well with the caramel malts. This isn't what I would reach for if I wanted a really hoppy IPA, but it would be something I'd want if I wanted a good beer.

4.5 M: Medium heavy body. Good amount of carbonation. Quite creamy and smooth. Well done.

4.5 D: Super drinkable, probably more drinkable due to it not having an incredibly big hoppiness.

05-02-2009 05:29:08 | More by DavoleBomb
infi

4.22/5  rDev -1.4%

Poured into a nonic pint.

Pours a beautiful translucent and dark amber/rustic color with a thin amount of head. Very bubbly, almost like a soda. Incredible bouquet of hops right off the pour. Scents of flowers, passion fruit and pine - amazing aroma throughout. Tastes like what an IPA should; very clean and dry. Good balance of malts and hops, though the hops are very prevalent. Coats the mouth pretty well and leaves a proper bitterness in the mouth. Easily drinkable - definitely a kick-back type of beer.

05-01-2009 13:28:23 | More by infi
omnigrits

3.93/5  rDev -8.2%

To quote a much-missed and fondly remembered BBC tennis commentator... Oh my!

There's a lot going on in this beer. It pours a pale-ish amber colour with a thick, sturdy head that lingers. The aroma is powerful and hits you like a train - hops, caramel, pine, grapefruit, and the same happens once it gets onto the tongue. Hoo boy, that's big ju-ju. Man, they've really thrown the kitchen sink at this one. Maybe it's just a little too busy. Somewhat oily mouthfeel - not unpleasant but not ideal for drinkability either.

05-01-2009 03:07:41 | More by omnigrits
Yetiman420

4.47/5  rDev +4.4%

On tap at the cock & bull near Cincinnati.

Imperial pint glass.

Gold copper color with slight red hues.
Very thin white gray head.

I can smell this beer from 18 inches away in a bar. Impressive.
Up close a nice malty hop aroma.

First couple of sips come across with a nice clean balance of malt and hop flavor.

Crazy random micro bubble lacing.
Alcohol on the nose when swirled.

05-01-2009 00:03:41 | More by Yetiman420
tr4nc3d

Kansas

3.75/5  rDev -12.4%

Pours a light copper color with a one finger slightly off white head. The head resides after about a minute leaving slight foam around the edges. Scattered lacing all throughout my glass.

Fresh Piney hops come out with floral notes. Hints of grapefruit, orange peels, lemons, caramel type like malts.

Upfront piney hop bitterness that slightly mellows out to a very light citrus like sweetness. I get some grapfruit, lemons, caramel like malts. In the end the hops outshine and you are left with a not to overbearing hop bitterness.

Light to medium bodied with good carbonation. Refreshing and crisp with that slight bitterness in the end.

As far as drinkability goes, there is better tasting IPA's and are cheaper.

04-30-2009 21:00:09 | More by tr4nc3d
SeattleAdam

Washington

3.9/5  rDev -8.9%

A: Pours golden and pale with a touch of red. 1.5 fingers of white foamy head that retains quite well. She's a beaut!

S: Super malty. Hops are hidden in the nose. Smells a little boozy, too, but dumbed down compared to 120 minute that's for sure.

T: Follows the nose. Very pleasant. Mostly maltly. For something hopped this much I expected more of a kick at the end. Booze hidden well. Full bodied.

M: Pretty heavy. All back of tongue. Very smooth.

D: Interesting--as usual from DFH. It's weird going backwards from 120 to this. Like Coke to Diet Coke. Very drinkable for a 9% beer. I'd go back to back if I had another one.

04-30-2009 03:49:15 | More by SeattleAdam
buschbeer

4.1/5  rDev -4.2%

I poured into a pint glass to a nice creamy head. It was orange/amber in color. I really enjoyed the caramel malt smell with a hint of pine. This beer has more balance than most in the category. I am very impressed. I am comparing this to the Torpedo I just had and this is a better offering, and I thought that the Torpedo was good. Nice, very nice.

04-30-2009 02:49:11 | More by buschbeer
greshdoghophead

4.8/5  rDev +12.1%

12 oz bottle poured into a Dogfish brand large snifter

A- decent head at first although it dissapates quickly leaving little more than a thin ring around the rim
S- matly caramel notes with hop aromas that are more floral than fruity
T- awesome; maltiness is bold but not overwhelming, I actually taste some rosey florals, and the ABV doesnt bite too hard
M- chewy. awesome up front, in the middle and on the back end
D- exceptional but the rich chewiness forces a half point deduction in that one slow effort would serve better than 2 or 3 pounded

04-30-2009 01:30:30 | More by greshdoghophead
Jedimaster1

3.58/5  rDev -16.4%

Like the reviewer below, I have been unimpressed by this brew. It is too oily, sticky, and SWEET! I am a hophead, but still enjoy a good balanced IPAs and DIPAs. But this one is way too sweet utilizing too much of the english malts to the point where it is not worth its price or the hype.

Please know, it is not a bad brew. But when there are many other more impressive brews in the DIPA arena, and which come in a true 6-er, I'd look elsewhere.

04-29-2009 05:27:17 | More by Jedimaster1
IMincedTheKing

3.43/5  rDev -19.9%

Pours amber with a good amount of head.

The aroma is of fruit, hops, and alcohol.

Tastes of fruit and malts with a load of sweetness. A touch of oily hops are present. This is the same sweetness I'm used to from Dogfish Head, and I really don't like it much. Alcohol is hugely present on the finish. It feels full in the mouth, but a little too sticky.

I'll get this down, but Dogfish Head still hasn't impressed me.

04-29-2009 05:22:32 | More by IMincedTheKing