90 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

90 Minute IPA90 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute IPA "perhaps the best IPA in America." An imperial IPA best savored from a snifter, 90 Minute has a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate.

90 Minute IPA was the first beer we continuously hopped, allowing for a pungent -- but not crushing -- hop flavor.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 90 Minute IPA Alström Bros
finkployd

4.78/5  rDev +11.7%

A - Beautiful clear amber ale color, nice fluffy head. Good carbonation.

S - Very hoppy & citrusy and sweet, bitter but smooth.

T - Pure hops... intense profile, bitter and sweet. 9% abv only slightly noticable in taste. Well balanced overall, defining IPA taste.

M - Medium to slightly heavy bodied, smooth with bitter piney aftertaste, especially if warm.

D - Goes down well, something to sip and savor. Strong but mild enough to be enjoyed frequently. Better than 60 min, not as intense as 120. High on my list.

06-05-2008 05:00:45 | More by finkployd
hdofu

Maryland

4.68/5  rDev +9.3%

Ever so hoppy and bitter, a very pleasant flavor. Color is a amber with a thick head which could give you a mustache. The smell of this beer is sort of buttery and hoppy and citrussy. If you do not like it when hops is the dominant flavor, then you probably will not like this beer. Other flavors I detected included cherry, orange and pine. Beer feels relatively heavy and thick while not overly carbonated. For such a big beer, the alcohol is not overwhelming. This beer is really enjoyable and one I would not mind throwing back more then one of these beers.

Anyway between 60, 90 and 120 minute ipas, the 90 stands out as my favorite as it is more intense and flavorful then the 60 minute ipa, but the 120 minute ipa is almost too intense for everyday.

06-04-2008 22:52:21 | More by hdofu
Wetpaperbag

Washington

A- Beautiful copper color. Nice head and great lacing.

S- Smells like an IPA nice and citrusy. Sweet smelling

T- Wonderful taste, definitely tastes like a DFH brew. Nice hoppy taste and very good brew.

M- Feels good in the mouth, easy to drink, nice an luscious.

D- Easy to drink, defiantly a worthy brew to drink and enjoy. I love the 120 min IPA and I'm soon going to try the 60 min IPA for a good comparison of the DFH IPA series. Good beer.

06-03-2008 04:49:01 | More by Wetpaperbag
scottoale

4.33/5  rDev +1.2%

12oz. brown longneck bottled on: 03/24/08. It pours a red-orange amber gold with a short lasting off-white head of 1/4". Decent carbonation with a ring of foam that leaves dots of lace clinging at best.

The nose is a very earthy hop-malt combination with tea and tobacco coming through strong. A light sweetness of mild citrus and more earth lead the way to the taste of this well hopped brew.

Mildly sweet with tangelo and pink grapefruit leading to a very earthy tea-tobacco combo that is very nicely balanced. Tastes like a hopped-up strong English ale, with the alcohol so well masked, you'ld never guess it was 9% ABV.

This is one tasty brew with a medium-plus body that drinks like session...in every sense!

A solid brew of this style with a flavor all it's own...glad to see it back here in SoCal!

06-02-2008 06:43:21 | More by scottoale
RomanW70

Rhode Island

3.98/5  rDev -7%

Poured reddish gold with smallish head. Huge aroma of hops and sweet malts. Initial sweet malts (citrus and caramel) is quickly dominated by hops. Seriously bitter aftertaste which lasts for a long time. Big taste. Fretty full mouthfeel. Fairly well balanced for such a hoppy beer. I'm not a hophead but I can appreciate this beer.

06-01-2008 03:20:41 | More by RomanW70
morebeergood

3.88/5  rDev -9.3%

Had a 90 last night at The Chicken Bone on Boylston Street near Fenway Park last night. Came served in a DFH branded snifter, which was a nice surprise. Appears golden orange in color, with a wispy head and lots of lacing on the glass. The smell was a bit tingly on the nose, and the hops are definitely present. Now, as someone who does not consider myself a hop head, I was interested to see what I thought of this beer. I have not had one of these in years, and I thought it was time to revisit it. I guess my palate has changed, because it was really good. Yes, it was hoppy, but it wasn't overpowering like other hop bombs I've tried. This one was very smooth and mellow, allowing me to enjoy every sip as I slowly savored it. I think it got even more drinkable as it warmed to room temp. I still can't believe that this is a double/imperial IPA with 9% abv. DFH has really made an enjoyable hoppy beer for us all. I just wish it hadn't been so long since my last one now.

05-30-2008 23:12:42 | More by morebeergood
wiseguy142

3.68/5  rDev -14%

Pours a peachy-orange with a big fluffy cream-colored head with good retention. Very thick lacing right off the bat as the head fades away. High carbonation visible and rushing up to feed the head.

Smells a lot lighter than some of the other strong IPA's I've had. Probably because of the lack of flavoring hops. Still sort of a "tease" of an aroma- a mixture of super sweet ruby red grapefruit with an underlying floral character.

The bittering hops work well with the alcohol. Not overwhelmingly bitter, actually a fairly mild IPA in terms of bitterness. Some more mellow bready malts in there as well as some faint crystal that's pretty evident in the color as well, but it gives a very slight nutty sweetness.

Mouthfeel is very nice- sort of rounded and Belgiany but finishes crisp and dry. Drinkable because it's not extreme in any particular area, but I do think the recipe makes an error in leaving out a strong flavoring hop contribution. I don't really feel like I'm getting much of a hop character in any particular aspect of the beer, but maybe I was just expecting something a little more extreme from a brewery known for extreme beers and for a beer with such a strong name.

05-29-2008 05:32:51 | More by wiseguy142
Seanibus

3.38/5  rDev -21%

Pours a vibrant, rich amber with a light head, which dissipates quickly but leaves good lacing. . The aroma is strong and malty. The flavor is overwhelmingly sweet and sticky, with strong caramel and some hop bitterness. The mouthfeel is thick and viscous. This is an interesting beer but not one I'd sit and drink more than one of. It's drinkability is hurt severely by it's vast size and sticky, viscous character.

05-28-2008 23:13:22 | More by Seanibus
scooter231

Found a few strays at the local grocery store, hiding in the tiny craft beer section. I feel pretty much the same about this as I did when I had it on tap a few years ago. It's a solid beer, it's not bad, but it's not my favorite DIPA.

It pours a lovely rusty orange color with a fair amount of head and some lacing. Smells earthy and grassy and malty. Taste is malty-er than expected, and overshadows the hops some. But the earthy and grassy flavors help balance it all out.

Mouthfeel is slick and chewy, and overall, this is highly drinkable, especially for 9%. Still, I'd prefer to sit down with the 60 minute. But not at all shabby.

05-28-2008 06:19:14 | More by scooter231
Lexluthor33

4.25/5  rDev -0.7%

Pours Golden amber with an orange tint. A decent head and lace. The aroma is piney,hops,fruity and hints of malt.

The taste is sweet,full of hops and bitterness with a good balance of malts. The alcohol is in the background. The beer is really fruity.
The overall feel is oily,medium carbonation with hop bitterness.

Notes: A well balanced brew. Not sweet in an overwhelming way,just fruity and full of hops.
I think I really,really,really, like this beer-really. I will buy a six pack next time. Never mind the ABV,full steam ahead.

05-26-2008 02:40:01 | More by Lexluthor33
Saunapoika

4.75/5  rDev +11%

A: Deliciously dark amber with an orangish hue. Small receding head but finishes with a nice lacing down my pint glass.

S: Outstanding. I think the aroma off this brew should be the definition of an IPA. It's amazing.

T: Once again, outstanding. Bold and beautiful. Full bodied and in complete balance with the huge malt and hop bill in this one.

M: Smooth and slightly undercarbonated for my ideal brew. BUT, this has got to be one of my favorites overall.

D: With a whopping 9%, this one is just too much to quaff more than one or two at a session. Overall, this is one of the more outstanding beers I've ever come across period.

05-25-2008 17:26:40 | More by Saunapoika
stephens101

Oklahoma

4.55/5  rDev +6.3%

After having tried the 60 minute and 120 minute IPA's I figure it's time to try the 90 minute. If it's anything like the other two, it's gonna be good. Pours dark copper with orange hues. A thick, 1/2 inch white head sits atop for a good while before patiently settling down with little lacing left behind. Smells of sweet and smooth citrus' with the hops blended in the background among some sweet malts and an earthy and grassy essence floating around as well. The palate is filled with zesty oranges, lemons, spices, grapefruit, dry hops, some underlying breadiness, phenols and a good hit of alcohol which ends the event perfectly. Really good carbonation keeps things interesting and the mouthfeel is pretty smooth, albeit a bit of chalkiness exists. I would describe it as light to medium bodied. Excellent brew, and I hope we get the Dogfish in these parts soon. The word on the street says it could be so. This is quality.

05-22-2008 23:17:04 | More by stephens101
drxandy

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

Poured from 12oz to tulip glass, pours a honey golden color, slightly reddish, with a creamy white head.

smells of malts, hops, hops, and more hops, and dry hops

tastes extremely balanced, an amazing DIPA, bitterness blended with alcohol and just the right amount of caramel/biscuity malts, slightly sweet, orange peel, dry grassiness, piney, floral, this is not the first time i've visited this beer, nor will it be the last.

Mouthfeel is creamy, thicker o.g., easy to drink for abv, one of my favorites ever :D

05-22-2008 01:32:54 | More by drxandy
GilGarp

Colorado

4.13/5  rDev -3.5%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle, it's a beautiful golden red color with ample head and fair retention.

Hop aroma is immediately present but not overpowering. It's pleasant but it doesn't seem as fresh smelling as others like Hop Henge, my current favorite DIPA.

The taste is better than I remember with a nice balance between sweetness from malt and biterness from hop. Of course everthing is relative when drinking an imperial IPA.

Mouthfeel is decent but a little over carbonated and there's a slight alcohol burn.

Drinkability would be higher but one simply can't expect to make a session out of a 9% beer. I enjoy this one bottle but one is enough.

Overall, very good but I still prefer standard IPAs to double/imperial most of the time.

05-21-2008 23:56:49 | More by GilGarp
cthulu81

4.35/5  rDev +1.6%

Alright, time to plunk down my two cents about one of the most reveared DIPAs on the market. Let me begin by admitting a personal biased FOR DFH 90 as it was my 'gateway' drug into craft beers. And I thank it every day for its enlightening effects. This bad little brew was my first imperial IPA and I haven't looked back since. Well, now that all the meaningless back-story is out of the way, how does it stack up after all these years of pleasurable quaffing? Pours a brillant light amber with a stout, dense little collar. It has such a distinctive smell; not overwhelmingly hop-driven, it seems to revolve around toasted, spicy aromas with an under-lying richness. Smells like DFH. In the mouth the smells are given new life with luxurious notes of deep malt, honey accents, resins in perfect harmony and a deliciously restrained bitterness. Very full bodied and full flavored. Once again exhibiting a tell-tale DFH 'house' aspect. Certainly not a bad thing, but it has a signature profile. Yup. Just as tasty as I remember it; not that I had any doubt.

05-20-2008 22:59:46 | More by cthulu81
orangemoustache

4.75/5  rDev +11%

I enjoyed this at the Brewhaus with some friends.This was my second time sampling this delicious brew and it was even better than I had remembered.It pours a brilliant gold,the color of Gold Passion Alize with amberish red highlights,it looks like a Tequilla sunrise in my pint glass with a tall tan head that has great hang time,this lacing is as nice as I've ever seen.The nose is full of hops,very fruity,with notes of pine.This tastes like a fruit smoothie packed full of peach,orange,and watermelon,not as hoppy as the nose leads on,but plenty of hops in here for all the hop fiends out there(myself included)!The mouthfeel is intense with hops,but not abrassive or taste bud damaging like a lot of other American Doubles can be,very citrusy finish,with a slight hint of alcohol warmth on the back of the tounge.The drinkability is off the charts,along with the price tag,oh well!Great beer!!

05-16-2008 02:30:06 | More by orangemoustache
gonzo46and2

4.63/5  rDev +8.2%

One of my Favorite IPAs. A huge nosefull of grapefruit, herbs, and flowers. A great selection of hops are used in this beer including a mystery hop. Finishes bitter but balances well with the generous malts. Great with heavily flavored food. I've enjoyed the 60 and 120 but this ranks as an all-time favorite IPA.

05-12-2008 23:54:05 | More by gonzo46and2
rye726

Colorado

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

Nice amber color with a frothy tan head. The nose is a tantilizing mixture or hops and fruits. A big malt profile here. The flavor does not dissapoint. Very malty with some well balanced hops. The body is fairy full. This is a very good brew closer to a traditional English Double IPA.

05-12-2008 05:16:35 | More by rye726
ROMER79

4.15/5  rDev -3%

Straight out of the tap this beer poured a nice copper color with a two finger white head. It smelled delicious. It reminded me of the smell of geueze at first. Hops, wheat, honey, and sweet sugar was detected in the smell. The taste was hoppy. You could get the hops right away, but I caught the wheat/grain, and a little bit of citrus in there as well. The mouthfeel was crisp and I found this beer to be a slow beer to drink because of the mighty hops.

05-07-2008 11:36:57 | More by ROMER79
rgdgerard

4.22/5  rDev -1.4%

Bought a four pack to try based on BA reviews.
An average pour into a pint glass yields a very impressive 2" creamy head. The first thing you notice is that this beer smells very floral and sweet, perhaps the most beautiful smelling beer I have ever had.

Taste starts out smooth, followed by the crisp bite of very pronounced hops, which last a long time and produce lots of mouth pucker! I mean, you can taste this beer 5 minutes after your last sip. Be wary of the hops in this beer! Still, the taste is very good, but you have to love hops to fully enjoy it. I'll admit it is not my favorite beer and will never be, but the second one I had was even better than the first, so maybe I am being converted to an extreme beer-lover.

05-06-2008 16:23:05 | More by rgdgerard
everetends

Alabama

4.3/5  rDev +0.5%

Got this in a four pack 12 oz bottles from Midtown in Nashvile. Poured into an oversized wine glass.

A: Poured a nice amber tinted with shades of red. Very clear. Minimal head that dissipates quickly but still produces some good lacing.

S: Nice floral and fruity hops, but malt (sweet malt) and grains ar still present. Very inviting.

T: Amazing balanced. The hops hit you but they are in no way overpowering. It is awesomely balanced with obvious malt and sweetness. Very tasty.

M: Carbonation is perfect. Very clean finish with a nice after taste.

D: Amazingly drinkable. I was expecting the hops to be overpowering but yet again suprised. I could drink the whole four pack tonight if the price was a bit more affordable. Very refreshing IPA.

05-06-2008 05:02:18 | More by everetends
GatorBeerNerd

Georgia

4.58/5  rDev +7%

A: Pours a clear golden copper color into a pint glass. There is very little head. It is just a thin covering over the top of the glass. The way the light reflects in it makes it look almost oily.

S: A very strong smell of hops dominates the aroma. It has a fresh pine aroma as well. It definitely makes you want to take a sip.

T: Slight hop bitterness is the first taste you get on your lips. The hops however balance out quickly. It finishes very clean and refreshing. There is a lemony citrus taste that adds to the bitterness, but also helps balance the hops. I admittedly haven't had all that many IPAs, but this one along with Gordon IPA definitely are the best tasting examples I have had.

M: A medium body with an oily slickness to it. There is not much carbonation, but it will tickle the tongue a bit as your roll it in your mouth for a few seconds.

D: This one is very drinkable. Even though it starts out slightly bitter from the hops is finishes extremely clean. There is no warming effect from the alcohol at all. It is so refreshing you go back for more quickly.

05-04-2008 23:14:01 | More by GatorBeerNerd
k3n

4.28/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle. Bottled on 3/24/08.

A: clear, rusty tangerine orange. impressive, dense head that sticks around for a while, leaving thin lacing. looks refreshing

S: citrusy hops, citrus rind. a hint of caramel underneath.

T: maltier than i expected for what's listed as an IIPA, but very good nonetheless. an immediate caramel hit is mellowed by bitter citrus rind that is subdued, but keeps the sweetness of the malt in check very well. a slight, drying bitterness lingers.

M: tingly. rich and full in the mouth. hits all parts of the tongue nicely.

D: excellent. the 9% is no where to be found!

05-04-2008 03:44:09 | More by k3n
Tdizzle

4.58/5  rDev +7%

Purchased at BevMo! in Brea. Bottled on 3/24/08 and consumed on 5/2/08.

A- Poured into my New Belgium globe glass, this beer pours a clear amber color with a white head that settles quickly, leaving some sparce sheets of lacing on the glass.

S- The aroma is very earthy and green, with lots of musty and piney hops. There's a good amount of sweet malts and fruity yeast, with only a slight alcohol presence and some carmely sweetness as the beer warms.

T- A moderate hop bitterness is backed up by a substantial amount of malt sweetness. The finish is clean, with almost no lingering bitterness on the palate, which is odd for a DIPA, but it leaves you yearning for the next sip. The alcohol is masked very well.

M- An oily, slick, and slightly syrupy feel, with very little carbonation.

D- I don't know how this beer could get more drinkable. It's incredibly well-balanced, and the 9% ABV isn't even a factor.

An excellent double IPA, though a departure from the extremely hoppy West Coast offerings. Highly recommended.

05-02-2008 22:11:21 | More by Tdizzle
rhoadsrage

4.47/5  rDev +4.4%

(Served in a nonic from a Randell full of Armadillo)

A- This beer has a crystal clear amber body with a thin ring of head that lines the glass. There wasn't much carbonation except for a few stray tiny bubbles gliding to the surface.

S- The smell of green mango and sweet fruit give way to green hops with apricot notes and a hint of caramel sweet malt popping through. The finish is a green pungent cat pee and pine blend that fills the nostrils.

T- Big fruity hops with hints of sweet toasted malt and sweet pale malt coming though with a bit of spice leading into more big green pungent hops with a nice pine bitterness. The finish has a soft fusel alcohol spice mixed with the hops.

M- This beer has a medium-light mouthfeel with a full texture and a soft alcohol heat at the finish.

D- I was a bit let down that I didn't get any fuzzy feeling on my teeth but this beer is very floral and hopolicius. I don't think I could handle to many glasses but this glass was wonderfull.

05-02-2008 03:07:29 | More by rhoadsrage