1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

90 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

90 Minute IPA90 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute IPA "perhaps the best IPA in America." An imperial IPA best savored from a snifter, 90 Minute has a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate.

90 Minute IPA was the first beer we continuously hopped, allowing for a pungent -- but not crushing -- hop flavor.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 90 Minute IPA Alström Bros
4.43/5  rDev +3.5%

Poured from the bottled into my brown Terrapin Brewery glass

A - Pours a bright orange with a small, white head. The foam has great retention all the way down my glass with each sip.

S - Smells strongly of hops. There is a hint of fruit and a floral smell at the end, but mostly all you get is hops.

T - Good taste. There is a strong taste of hops, but it isn't overpowering. You also get bits of honey and some fruit. But none of this is overpowering.

M - It feels great in the mouth. With each swallow you get just the right amount of aftertaste to make you long for the next sip.

D - This drink is awesome. You could have a couple before the alcohol hits you. Very drinkable.

Overal, this is one of the best beers I have ever had. Great brew. I'd recommend to anyone who loves, or is looking to get into, IPAs.

Mosley1212, Feb 24, 2010
4.83/5  rDev +12.9%

This is a good one for sure.

A: Nice gold/amber/red
S: Hops!
T: Gotta say honey, grapefruit, then hops in that order. Great balance
M: Smooth, alcohol might catch you at first on the back of your throat, but it's all good.
D: Very drinkable, but not too fast. Smooth, but meant to be enjoyed for sure.

Over all A+ I really dug it.

LukeAnthony, Feb 23, 2010
4.72/5  rDev +10.3%

Poured into a pint glass from a bottle dated 12/02/09. Dark honey color with one finger of foam. I could smell the hops as soon as I poured this beer. The taste up front is floral hops and malt with a noticeable carmel flavor. The sweetness of the malt is offset by the tangy citrus hop flavor. This is a well balanced easy to drink beer. The tanginess made me want to drink quicker than I knew I should. Each sip begging for another. The 9% ABV does not clobber your taste buds, but it will creep up on you. This is a tough one to put down. I'll be buying this beer again.

timr62, Feb 22, 2010
4.13/5  rDev -3.5%

Poured a 12 oz. bottle (dated 10 -26-09) into a pilsner glass. Gorgeous, golden honey color with a huge head of thick creamy foam and lots of bubbles. Thick, heavy lacing all down the glass. Big, hopped up aroma with hints of citrus-pine. Nose candy for me! Very hoppy, somewhat caramel taste with a piney-spicey flavor at the finish. Not as bitter as the Stone's dipa,s. Mouthfeel is medium to creamy and goes down smooth. Nicely drinkable and not too strong and over the top (for me anyway). A great beer all in all.

kalkavekkian, Feb 22, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +1.2%

Reviewed 02-21-10
Reviewed cold from a bottle to a glass

A - Golden brown, 1 finger of foam, good lacing ring with some carbonation present

S - Heavy hop notes, slight citrus sweetness with a faint smell of malt

T - Sweet with hop flavors mixed well, does have a pine aftertaste but nothing to keep me from putting my glass down

M/D - Medium bodied, full hop flavor but smooth even through it had a little hop bit at the end. Glad I picked up a 4 pack of this and plan to review after the rest age a while. I highly recommend this if you're into the IPA's and would like to try and review the 60 and 120 minute IPA's. I will for sure have this again and will purchase again.

FreshmanPour77, Feb 22, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +1.2%

This is my first beer review on B.A. (although I've been drinking crafts and the like for several years), and I feel honored that I was able to review such a wonderful one.

A: Poured a medium yellowish-orange with a red tint, formed a relatively small head about 3-4 cm thick. Excellent carbonation.

S: Absolutely wonderful (I almost felt like I NEEDED to smell something this good): citrus, earth, raisin, all meshed nicely together.

T: Similar to the scent, earthy with hints of citrus and raisin. The high-ABV is almost comforting and warming on a cold Sunday night in February. A perfect winter imperial IPA.

M: Evenly carbonated, but not enough that it stung or overpowered my tongue.

D: I wish I wasn't a poor student and could afford more! An excellent beer that I will drink time and time again!

TheStBernard, Feb 22, 2010
4.75/5  rDev +11%

Brownish red color with a nice foamy head.

The hops are the first blast to your tongue, then the citrus taste finishes it off. The citrus taste is of grapefruit without the tartness of course. The alcohol is pretty well hidden. This beer will catch up with you as you're drinking. You will love to drink it as soon as it hits your lips, but watch out it has a mean punch.
I have this beer on tap at my house and wow people get silly really fast and unexpectedly, i never tell them it is 9%. Enjoy this beer it is my favorite!!!

gecasa, Feb 21, 2010
4.4/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Re-review (bottle 4/21/09, reviewed on 6/19/09 from notes)
A - poured golden amber, quite clear with 1" thick off-white head with excellent retention that lasted most of the session. Streams of bubbles from the apex of the tulip. Patches of lace here and there. 4.0

S - Very sweet pale malts, caramel in small quantities mixed with citrus (lemon zest and grapefruit). Light bittering properties but much sweeter than I remembered. Spicy alcohol wafts through and brings out a bit of warmth in the nose. 4.5

T - Initial sweet maltiness of caramel and biscuits remain and complement the earthy and citrusy hop tones. Alcohol is relatively well hidden but creeps up in the finish. 4.0

M - rich body, very smooth and mildly carbonated. Juice and saliva-inducing sweet/citrusiness. 4.5

D - excellent. Another please? 4.5

Overall - since developing a taste for IPA's I can appreciate this a bit more. It's a malt bomb of a DIPA but still deliciously and juicily hoppy. Bitterness is short lived, balanced by rich malts. Served at room temperature.

---
Review on 6/1/08, 4.5/4.5/4.5/4/3.5

A - poured clear golden amber with 1" fluffy white head in my pint glass. No lacing.

S - intense tang and citrus! Very hoppy, mild lemongrass and a slight sour tone detected. Very good.

T - Hop supreme!! Fresh grassy hops, nuttiness, and a somewhat bitter coffee-ish aftertaste. Sweet malts throughout. Light alcohol kick. Floral.

M - medium bodied, medium carbonation

D - although I could enjoy many of these in an evening, this is a beer I'd prefer to enjoy for a while

Overall - I must say that this brew is most interesting. A very good imperial IPA, comparable to the Hopdevil but with a much higher alcohol content and a stronger taste, more so in the maltiness. This brew might be even a little too strong for everyday drinking, plus it's a little pricey at $3 per bottle but I would definitely buy it again. An excellent beer that I highly recommend to any hophead or open minded drinker.

Note: I was having a sloppy joe at the time and it went very well with this IPA :)

DmanGTR, Feb 21, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +3.5%

A- Copper/amber color with decent off-white head that leaves some good looking lacing.

S- Alot of citrusy and floral hops in the nose on this one. good tropical fruit malty backbone pushing through to help balance everything out.

T- The taste of this is basically the same as the nose. alot of hops up front, leaving way to some malt in the middle and then finishes off with another dose of hoppy bitterness for the finish. very smooth, dry finish.

M/D- Medium bodied. fits this beer well. Drinks exceptionally well considering the 9% ABV on it.

Pabs311, Feb 21, 2010
3.73/5  rDev -12.9%

Bottle poured into a nonic glass

A: Reddish amber color. White head that quickly dissipates. Leaves slight lacing but that goes away shortly as well.

S: hops. Slightly piney hops. A bit malty?

T: its more like a big English style pale ale then an imperial IPA. balanced malt vs. hop flavors but needs a bit more hop power.

M: Decent carbonation. Feels like a good beer in the mouth. Not too fizzy or flat.

D: easy to drink a ton of. The high ABV makes it a little harder but if I'm not going anywhere a 4 pack of these is nothing.

Hershdawg, Feb 19, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

A: Clear, copper/amber with a small white head that leaves a bit of lacing on the glass.

S: Lots of hops and floral notes with a hint of caramel. Aroma is fantastic.

T: I wondered what all the fuss was about this one. Now I know. Probably one of the most balanced brews I've ever had. Massive hop attack on the tongue, along with pineapple and citrus, and even a hint of brown sugar and caramel at the near perfect finish.

M: Less than moderate carbonation, but that doesn't detract from the amazing balance of this brew. Only mild slick and oily feel, which is a bit surprising, considering the amount of hops most likely used in this beer. Still, between this one and Stone's Ruination, probably the two most balanced beers I've had so far, in the ADIPA realm.

D: I could definitely drink a few of these, but the ABV of 9% might sneak in and cause some havoc. Such a well proportioned brew that also hides the alcohol very well. I absolutely recommend this brew to anyone who likes good beer. You don't really need to be a hophead to enjoy this one. Though, having at least some experience with ADIPA's will help.

irishking1977, Feb 19, 2010
4.3/5  rDev +0.5%

A - poured into a pint glass. Small bead but good retention and lacing. Transparent but slightly hazy copper color.

S - big nose of hoppy goodness. Several complex floral notes, sweet caramel malts, pineapple. Bit of ethanol.

T - lots of bitterness from start to finish, as you'd expect. But has a fair amount of sweetness too. Floral and fruity aspects of the smell remain, albeit muted.

M - medium body, low carbonation, but lingers nicely

D - exceptional. Here's a 9% beer that's intensely flavored toward a style I don't really like, but with each sip I can't wait for the next. Sign of true craftsmanship.

Richardberg, Feb 18, 2010
4.58/5  rDev +7%

It is a sad thing when you must review a beer of this caliber when you've head one too many. I've had this before, but that was before becoming a beeradvocate. Let me just say this...perfectly balanced double ipa with a nice solid malt backbone that stays there through the finish. So drinkable that you just can't get sick of it. Sooo beautiful. If you like ipas at all you must have some dogfish head.

josefnewsong, Feb 17, 2010
3.85/5  rDev -10%

bottle on 11/18/09

App: A nice medium almost dark amber. Perfect Clarity. A nice, but small off-white head that turns to a thick lace.

Smell: A complex array of aromas; it's hard to truly break it down. Toasty malt and a huge dose of dank hops.

Taste: A full spectrum of flavor from start to finish. Sweet, slightly toasty malt fades into hops that present a dark flavor. Citrus is prominent with a slight sweetness of peaches. Ends mildly with an herbal bitterness with hints of tobacco.

Full body with carbonation to match. Leaves a slight oily residue after the sip.

A solid beer, but certainly not my favorite DIPA.

Sam is right in saying that it's a nice stage for the complexity of the hop flavor without being overly bitter.

emsroth, Feb 17, 2010
3.78/5  rDev -11.7%

12 oz bottle into my new Duvel tulip.

A: Poured with about 2 fingers of creamy white head and shrank after a few minutes to a little less than a finger. A fair amount of sticky lacing lines the glass. Has a nice amber color to it.

S: Lots going on here. Sweet citrus aromas are of course apparent: pineapple, grapefruit, and a little orange. Pine, flowers, and freshly cut grass are also in there. I also smell some feint maltiness and a little alcohol.

T: A little citric sweetness up front (but surprisingly little when compared to other flavors). Molasses, toffee, and dark cherries and raisins soaked in brandy contribute to a very sweet and malty middle. Some pine comes through in the end as each sip finishes with a bitter hop bite. Alcohol is also fairly apparent. This tastes more like a barelywine than a DIPA to me.

M: Medium feel with a good amount of warming from the 9% abv.

D: As I noted above, this seems more like a barleywine than DIPA in taste. The malt is just as, if not more, prominent than the hops in this quaff. It's an interesting and complex brew for sure, but I'm not totally into it. IMHO there's just a little too much booze and malt sweetness in the flavor for a DIPA. I've had this on tap before and recall enjoying more than this bottle. I'll have to write a review next time I get it at the local pub.

MrDanno96, Feb 17, 2010

The neck of the bottle lists a bottled on date of 12/02/09. Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a cervoise.

Appearance: Small off-white head despite a pretty strong poor. Clear orange body shows off the carbonation. Lacing is amazing.

Smell: Oily grapefruit hops. Sweet and acidic smelling, reminiscent of pineapple. Little bit of pine.

Taste: Sweet malty body and an acidic smack of fruity hops. Somewhat oily from the abundance of hops.

BierFan, Feb 16, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

Served from 12 oz bottles at about 50F.

I have had this on tap several times, and it never disappoints as one of my overall favorite beers. It is truly exceptional. Yet, having polished off several 4-packs, I can say it just doesn't impress quite as much bottled. No big surprise there, but it is still very good and deserving of it's overall high praise. Unfortunately, the flavors just don't pop as much bottled, and the mouthfeel seems a bit thinner as well.

blackc5, Feb 15, 2010
4.18/5  rDev -2.3%

Bottled on 1/5/2010.

Pours golden copper and slightly amber in color. A medium off-white head with tons of lacing, as expected. Crystal clear with a good bit of carbonation present.

Smells of grapefruit and pine, with some grassy hop aroma, and with a well-rounded, sweet malt balance. Tastes of some pine and more planty/grassy hops at first, but this gives way to a very malty backbone, with some licorice and doughy flavors. It is very bitter throughout, but the malt adds a good balancing sweetness.

Pretty heavy body and mouthfeel from all of the malt and the bitterness of the hops. The alcohol adds a bit of warmth, but is mostly hidden from the taste.

Excellent beer, great as an exemplary DIPA, showcasing the malts almost equally to the hops.

goldbot, Feb 14, 2010

Poured from a 12oz bottle. Based on the bottled date about 4 months old.

Pours a beautiful golden color with light head.

Drinks very smooth and the alcohol is not very noticable for a 9% abv brew.

Slightly sweet taste with citrus and honey flavors. Great hop flavor.

Well balanced and very drinkable. Great well rounded beer. Much better than the 60 minute and not overly sweet like the 120 minute. To me this is the best DFH IPA.

My favorite IPA of all brewers and one of my top ten beers of all time.

jimmyvegas, Feb 14, 2010
3.93/5  rDev -8.2%

pours a bright copper, quite clear, creamy head and excellent retention. light lacing

up front, it was floral with light citrus notes, mainly grapefruit and light tangerine.

the hops seem to be rather balanced with a huge malt profile. light citrus and light pine flavors. little bits of pineapple and some tangerine mixed in. a heavy bread and biscuit flavor really hold this down. the booze is there for sure. hoppy finish and aftertaste.

very thick, a bit syrupy and chewy. moderate carbonation.

a good DIPA. IMO, the malts are too heavy and take away from the hops. this was one of the first DIPA's i had although i am not sure why i never reviewed it. given the high ABV, maybe one at a time but i do enjoy them from time to time.

hooliganlife, Feb 12, 2010
4.18/5  rDev -2.3%

Update, 11/15/10 - After having a 4-pack more recently I brought down the taste score from 4.5 to 4. It's a little too sweet and boozy for my tastes now, but I still definitely enjoy this beer.

Original review: One of the first beers I ever had that really "blew me away". I've had a ton of these but this is my first in 4 or 5 months. Pours dark orange, nice fluffy white head. Turns into a thick ring around the edge of the glass. Ah, that great grapefruit/citrus smell I remember so well. Still tastes as great as I remember. Caramel, grapefruit, heavy perfumey sweetness, slight tropical fruit (pineapple), resin. Unfortunately a little alcohol bite turns into alot over time and kind of drags down the great taste, shame. Mouthfeel however otherwise is perfect, very smooth and oily, works great here. Drinkability suffers a bit because of the alcohol bite and heaviness. Not many double IPA's grab my attention (I've always preferred regular IPA's) but this one does. A classic.

Chico1985, Feb 09, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

This beer is exceptional and without a doubt one of my favorites.

It pours beautifully with a amber glow and a fluffy thick head. The aroma my favorite part of this beer. It's full of floral notes and crisp hoppiness. The taste is complex and interesting. It has hints of the standard IPA bitterness but the profile definitely goes far beyond that into a smooth, rounded hoppy sweetness.

I've used this beer on a number of occasions to teach people how to love hoppy beers who typically avoid the bitter flavors of IPAs (my wife included!)

mattmcmanus, Feb 09, 2010
4.7/5  rDev +9.8%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Foothills straight-sided pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a really nice, deep, honey-amber color with a worrying lack of a head. The color is really nice and rich, but I have my doubts as to the quality of this bottle because of the lack of head, which dissipates quickly and leaves no lacing on the glass.

Smell: This is a glorious smelling DIPA, and unique, too. It has a great hop profile of floral and citrusy hops that smell almost too sweet to be the wonderful bittering agents we know them as. There is also a huge, sweet malt scent, as well, and a really strong scent of honey. The floral hops prevail, though, and the smell leaves you dying to get a taste.

Taste: This is an extraordinarily complex IPA. It starts out with a burst of floral and fruity hops, which are then perfectly balanced by a load of malts. It finishes with a lovely bitterness that sticks around just long enough to remind you that this is a DIPA, and a damn good one at that.

Mouthfeel: This one has a great amount of body to it and is just the right thickness for a DIPA. It's also incredibly smooth and the hop bitterness is not cloying in any way, leaving the palate dry and ready for more.

Drinkability: Well, the alcohol is not so readily discernible in this brew, but at 9%, you wouldn't be able to put away a whole lot of these. If you had nothing important to do the next day, though, and some cash to spare, it would be a great pleasure to have a few of these.

Overall, this is a fantastic DIPA and I have to say that Sam C. at Dogfish Head got this one spot on. A lot of DIPA's are so highly hopped that they must be overly-compensated with malts, but this one clearly makes the hops the central focus of the beer. This is one hell of a bold and complex brew and one of the better IPA/DIPA's I've had. If you haven't had this brew, you should really get one the next time you go to the store. Great beer.

zoso493, Feb 09, 2010
4.22/5  rDev -1.4%

Appearance: Amber with a nice two finger white foamy head. Nice lacing.

Smell: Malts and sweet floral hops.

Taste: Nice bready malt and floral/citrus hop profile. This is one of the most balanced IPAs I've had. The alcohol is noticeable but you really have to be looking for it.

Drinkability: Its so easy to drink you can put back the 4pk in a sitting. Once you stand up, you begin to get hit. Its nice.

travduke, Feb 09, 2010
3.95/5  rDev -7.7%

Best American IPA? Darn close if not damn right. It's got a huge floral hop profile, and it's got the right malt balance to keep it from being one-dimentional. I really can't think of anything negative to say about this one. It's cheap for the quality and hefty 9% ABV. If you don't like all the hops, try the 60 minute, or if you're a glutton for hops try the 120. Awesome, totally awesome.

Hopfist, Feb 07, 2010