90 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

90 Minute IPA90 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute IPA "perhaps the best IPA in America." An imperial IPA best savored from a snifter, 90 Minute has a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate.

90 Minute IPA was the first beer we continuously hopped, allowing for a pungent -- but not crushing -- hop flavor.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 90 Minute IPA Alström Bros
cvfish

Louisiana

4.72/5  rDev +10.3%

A - Poured a dark amber color that produced a white head that didn't last but left a good lace around the glass

S - Great malty and hops nose, with pine, grapefruit and flowers

T - The taste of this IPA is great, nice malty and hops mixture that is perfectly balanced. The pine nuts and grapefruit hints along with the floral notes hit the bitterness well

M - Medium bodied, moderate carbonation

D - A great IPA, not a hop bomb, but something that I would rotate into my selection, if DFH was distributed down here

02-10-2009 04:08:34 | More by cvfish
mralphabet

3.28/5  rDev -23.4%

12 Oz bottle poured into Pilsner glass

A: Golden color with a two finger head. Lots of lacing that sticks around.

S: Wow.... Fruits (citrus & apples), Flower (rose like aromas)... maybe a little grass, hops, barley and malt. Different from any other beer I've smelled. Very strong and robust

T: There is a lot going on here.... First taste was hard and quick shot of hops, followed quickly by malt and barley... very strong bitterness follows that.... you catch the alcohol at the end. Wow a lot of stuff and it comes at you quickly.... as it warms things balance out.... The hops calm down and the bitterness mellows... More flavors are coming.... a little caramel apple and loads of malt, the malts actually seem to become more of a factor as the beer gets warmer. a

M: Full-bodied !!, the mouthfeel is smooth. Carbonation is a mild to high. I'm tasting all the 9% ABV. The end is bitter but very clean.

D: Now I'm not really a IPA guy, and this is my first Imperial IPA... Boy this will not your socks off.... If you like your hops hoppy and complex this is great. Personally, It's not my cup of tea.... I'm hoping I'll grow into the IPA..

02-09-2009 04:28:29 | More by mralphabet
drtth

4.13/5  rDev -3.5%

From a case bottled 15 Jul 08 and deliberately allowed to age in the bottle until 7 Feb 09 as part of learning what happens to this beer over time. Poured into a Duvel glass and allowed to warm over the course of the tasting. Glass of cold water on the side to sip from periodically.

Appearance: Transparent dark amber, almost the color of an old copper penny. Thin white head quickly disappears leaving behind ring of foam around the glass with a thin layer of bubbles on most of the surface.

Smell: Dominated by a strong malt presence, caramel, with a nice trace of hops in the aroma. That trace of hops is floral, citrus, and has a hint of pine.

Taste: Rich, sweet, sherry-like flavor with a medium finish and barely a hint of bitterness. But the hop flavors replicate the nose and still play in the background. Not even a hint of the 9% alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with faint carbonation.

Drinkability: I could drink more than one of these even though it no longer has that hoppy DIPA bitterness that was there when was freshly bottled. The changes over time have created a different beer that I like about as much in its own way as I like it fresh. In some ways it is now more like a Barleywine. Clearly one of the strengths of this beer is that once the the bitterness of the hops has faded with age it is still a wonderful beer. If you like sweet Sherry or English style Barleywines consider aging some of this for 6-9 mos. before drinking.

02-09-2009 00:55:15 | More by drtth
bfields4

Colorado

4.38/5  rDev +2.3%

A nice frothy head on this IPA. Comes into a very clear copper body. The head hangs through till the end.

The citrus hops hit the nose right away very pungent and mouthwatering.

Taste... yeah.. gonna take another taste... oh yeah.. orange than lemon hops wow.. wow.. I like. The bitterness is perfectly balanced with these flavors. This beer is a def must for an IPA fan. Juicy is a great descriptor

This probably has the best of any mouthfeel I know of for an IPA just great.

02-08-2009 05:15:58 | More by bfields4
Gyle41386

South Carolina

3.5/5  rDev -18.2%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Bottled 11/20/08.

Pours a clear copper. Practically no head, just a small off-white cap. Still leaves some pretty nice lacing.

Scent is entirely of grapefruit and sweet malts. I'm not getting any pine at all in this one.

This one is quite hoppy, but it's still entirely citrus and not much pine. This is the second bottle I've had...the first was sickeningly sweet from the malt. This one has slightly better balance, with a nice bitter aftertaste. Still too sweet, though.

Body is medium. Pretty smooth drinker. The sweetness is pretty unpleasant, but the lingering bitterness takes over in the end.

After having two bottles of both over two nights, I feel that the 60 Minute is a vastly superior beer to the 90. At first, I thought I got a couple of bad bottles, but both were pretty much the same and are pretty fresh.

02-06-2009 02:50:45 | More by Gyle41386
dyingwrist

4.15/5  rDev -3%

Served in a pint glass. Clear amber/copper clear with a creamy off white head. I expected a nice floral hoppy nose and it delivers. Pretty simple taste when it first enters your mouth, but it has a very nice long finish. It fills your mouth with the aroma of hops. Great taste of hops and not as bitter as I thought it would be.This beer has great body and feels the way an IPA should imo.

02-05-2009 20:56:23 | More by dyingwrist
remllof

4.18/5  rDev -2.3%

Poured a dark orange transparent brew, with a minimal head and light carbination. For smell I got an good delightful smell of hops. For taste I got an nice malty flavor that helped equal out the nice hit of bitter. The alcohol is covered up really well. The aftertaste has a bit of lingering bitterness but. Mouthfeel is great not too water but not too thick. Overall a great beer that I will look forward to trying again and help me explore more into IPAs.

02-03-2009 23:23:13 | More by remllof
tzieser

Arizona

4.45/5  rDev +4%

i've had this one a few times before-- but i had to grab it again just as an excuse to write this review....

this beer looks awesome. pours a nice golden/darker amber/light copper color with a great foamy head that sticks pretty well. good carbonation. looks great all around!

smells great. so many smells to describe here...tons and tons of hops, with a little malt in the back there somewhere. the hop oils smell nice and flowery. outstanding.

tastes absolutely brilliant!! i'm not the biggest hop fan, but this is great. so deliciously balanced i can barely describe it. lots of hops up front-- but not too much. the hops are really flowery, keeping it from being to bitter. there's a good touch of malt in the back that really ties everything together beautifully and leaves a nice sweet and savory flavor in your mouth when its all said and done.

mouthfeel is good-- nice and carbonated with a nice head to tingle the lips

drinkability is good-- its not a 5 cause i wouldnt wanna drink these all night (but i probably might if i could), but its definitely quaffable.

overall-- I dont care if you like IPAs. I dont care if you hate them (as i once did), you MUST try this beer at least once. It's a masterpiece of brewing. beautifully balanced.

02-03-2009 22:25:29 | More by tzieser
kaseydad

4.43/5  rDev +3.5%

I must say this was my first Dogfish head beer experience last year and I can't wait to try all their products. To the beer...

Excellent heady foam with a beautiful caramel color.

Nice fruity smell with grapefruit, pineapple and piney aroma.

Excellent hoppy taste with a nice tangy aftertaste.

Though the alcohol is 9%, this is a very drinkable beer. Multiples can be put down easily.

Awesome IPA! One of my favorites.

02-01-2009 06:40:34 | More by kaseydad
tigg924

3.63/5  rDev -15.2%

Appearance: amber, clear carbonated, medium head

Smell: alcohol, grapefruit, and citrus

Taste: alcohol, grapefruit, malts, hops, and slight caramel

Mouthfeel: smooth, slightly hard finish, can feel the carbonation...It is amazing how smooth and unbitter this beer is for a beer with its abv

Drinkability: I will have this again, but may be one of the few that prefer the 60 minute IPA. This is a smooth beer for an IPA..High ABV would prevent me from having more than a couple.

02-01-2009 05:39:35 | More by tigg924
SaintArnold

3.43/5  rDev -19.9%

Wow, what disappointment. Don't believe the hype with this beer. This is not at all what I expected from the acclaimed Dogfish Brewery. I thought it was a very good and well balanced beer. But as an American IPA, this beer is not even in the same league as the IPAs from Stone, Avery or Sierra Nevada. I just have one question. Where are the hops?

A- Has a medium copper appearance with a nice foamy head with excellent lacing.

T- Has a smooth malty flavor that's almost creamy. It had nice hoppy finish which gave balance to the beer.

M- Medium body with a lingering malty flavor and spicy aftertaste.

S- Roasted malt was the dominant aroma. Was expecting a hop explosion and was let down.

D- Very drinkable. This is a beer that I could sit down and have several of. It was good but it wasn't great and certainly does not warrant the price tag attached to the six packs I've seen in the stores.

01-31-2009 16:15:35 | More by SaintArnold
woodychandler

4.78/5  rDev +11.7%

Once again, UKBrewing (Paul Pendyck) hosted a blast of a Cask Night on F, 30 Jan 2009 following a two-month Holiday Hiatus. Always a treat!

A finger of soapy, foamy head upon presentation. Color was a slightly cloudy orangish-amber. Nose was MUCH pine-ier than the previous DFH 60" which I had just finished. Now, we're talkin'! The touch of this liquid to my tongue was that of an iron fist enrobed in velvet. A soft stroking motion followed by a studded punch of mail. Yoi! It was even silkier than the 60", but the hops were NOT playing around. LOTS o' hops just simply assaulting my poor, defenseless taste buds which hadn't done anything to incur this sort of wrath.

Now cue a quote from Charles Dickens' "Oliver Twist": "More, please, sir." "MORE?!? You want MORE!?!" it seemed to roar back at me.

I could merely gently nod as the tears openly rolled down my cheeks and my breath came in raspy gasps. Say, bartender ...

Finish? I was finished. Ask any of the other Cask Night attendees.

Cask Night saw it return several months later and this is what I wrote on that occasion:

It was on gravity-pour this night so its head was just foam that de-ceded into nothingness, just a ring around the circumference. My glass evinced the deepest, clearest amber this side of orange of anything that I tried that evening. Clarity? NE, doubled. Bright! Edison would have wept. Mouthfeel was slightly full with a pronounced heat on the tongue. I started to feel like Goldilocks - one was too mild, this one was too much. Finish was hoppy, but indescribably so - I got bitter, but not in any way that I could pinpoint.

I feel like a waffle - I used to love 60", then I hit upon 90" and now I prefer 75". Small wonder that I am not married.

01-31-2009 14:55:10 | More by woodychandler
zerofear13

3.85/5  rDev -10%

Here's my major concern with Dogfish Head beers: if you're going to name one 60-min, and another 90-min, you better have that 90-min IPA 50% better, or at least 50% hoppier. I thought for a renowned brewery, 90 minutes of hopping would make the most face-smashing bitterness ever. But it just wasn't the case. You end up with a relatively well-balanced beer (not really a complaint). I think the problem is that you're expecting more from it. Great sweet malt flavor and wonderful hop balance, but nothing about it makes you want to spend the extra money for this over the 60, in my opinion.

There's a lot of Dogfish-hatred on the forums, and although I respect them for their innovation, I can understand the general dissent about their brews. Nothing spectacular.

01-31-2009 06:08:43 | More by zerofear13
Stimack

3.58/5  rDev -16.4%

This brew poured to a light amber/orange color with a smallish light tan head that had very limited retention. The aroma is hops but sweet malt is there as well. A very inviting mix of hop aroma with both floral and citrus coming through, though the floral seems to be more prevalent. The flavor is nice, malt is there though it does fade to a more hop / slight alcohol flavor. Could this be an old bottle, as I was expecting a larger hop hit? I did not see a date on the bottle so I am not sure. As the brew warms the alcohol seems to come out more but feels a little too hot for me. This is a good brew but for me it does not live up to the hype, the aroma was the best aspect IMO. I will try this one again just to make sure I did not get a slightly off brew.

01-29-2009 02:18:15 | More by Stimack
MillySox

4.28/5  rDev 0%

Pours a little darker than gold without a huge head presence. Gives off a strong citrusy and piney aroma that wakes up the taste buds. The taste is deep and complex with a woody or burnt flavor that mixes with the hops and lingers for a long time. The hop flavor is altered as it seems to bring a good dose of bitterness, but not like I've ever head before. The label boasts of a long boil that had me ready for a big hop flavor. Instead I was more impressed by a more unique flavor.

01-29-2009 02:15:59 | More by MillySox
douggoodavage

4.88/5  rDev +14%

Serving: 12 oz bottle poured hard into a large mug at 50 degrees F.

Appearance: Three finger head that fades in minutes. Nice sticky lacing that lasts. A nice amber color slightly cloudy.

Smell: Superb, world class one of my favorites. Its like sniffing vaporized hops. The fresh hop scent drifts into your head rapidly lighting up your nose. The aroma is probably accelerated by the smooth sweet flower like alcohol scent. I can sense grapefruit, honey, cantalope, pine, honey suckle, fresh baked bread, lemon peel, & fresh cut baby grass. The scent is hypnotizing and irrestible.

Taste: Thick and juiciy very hoppy and citrusy. The medium heavy body brings pine, grapefruit, sweet grapenuts cereal and smooth alcohol at first. Next comes lemon peel and honey. Then at last a nice crisp dry bitterness lingers. A very complex beer takes your senses on a trip to unknown territory.

Mouthfeel: An awesome medium thick DIPA that I find myself trying to chew up instead of drinking it down quickly. The good carbonation along with the crisp refeshing hops is like getting your tongue smacked between fresh picked hops dripping with oil and fresh cut lemons.

Drinkability: This world class brew sports 9% ABV along with some kick in your mouth hops. A hop heads dream come true. This classy brew beats the crap out of wine when eating spicy foods. It is way more complex the most other beverages making it a great complement to your meals. Even if your are not as crazy about hops as me I am sure you would enjoy this one with a nice dinner.

Overall: This DIPA is one of my favorites and I love to drink it every chance I get. I actually judge others using this as a benchmark of excellence. Thanks DFH for a job well done!

01-29-2009 02:05:53 | More by douggoodavage
Greggy

3.43/5  rDev -19.9%

A- Pours a nice thick 2 finger white head that leaves some nice lacing. Good retention. Clear body, light amber in color.

S- Berry smells, nice bitter hops, some soapy notes. Shockingly fruity..

T- Starts out with sweet gooseberry notes in the malt and just a balanced hopiness. I'm failing to get an enormous hopiness on this one, and to be honest this tastes more like the fruitier scotch ales out there. The finish is, again, sweet berry notes, and some piny resin.

M- Low carbonation. Body isn't overly large given the 9%, so that's kind of a let down.

D- This beer surprised me. It really isn't a IIPA to me. Given the 9% and lack of huge hop presence, this isn't overly drinkable.

01-27-2009 21:26:48 | More by Greggy
CountLupulus

4.97/5  rDev +16.1%

Appearance: Gold. Pours a thin head that is proves wildly sticky and copious in its tracks, leaving its mark like a dog done gone.

Smell: Gorgeous gush of Amarillo - bright citrus beckons bold.

Taste: Sweet burgeoning malts rupture up front, snowballing into a tumble of mineral bitters which levy the booze, and finishing with a kick of fruit and a phantom exhale of those aroma hops. The sequence is bold and seamless and it feels good.

Mouthfeel: Maintains pep in its carbonation. Tiny bubbles prevail.

Drinkability: Your eminence, you have my undivided attention!

01-27-2009 04:28:13 | More by CountLupulus
Birmingham

Kansas

4.65/5  rDev +8.6%

Aroma:
Earthy aroma, clean sensation with mild fruitiness

Appearance:
Deep copper color, some haze, off white head, with medium lacing and mild carbonation

Flavor:
Complex hop profile, well balanced between the hoppiness and malt back bone, low fruitiness

Mouth feel:
Crisp feel on the tongue, medium-full body, medium dry finish, mile residual mouth feel (body) in the after taste

Overall Impression: Classic balance between the high hoppiness and malt back bone. It is a very drinkable a beer and a joy to drink.

01-27-2009 03:00:41 | More by Birmingham
mjw06

4.43/5  rDev +3.5%

A - rosey amber color, one finger head that gradually gets smaller until it keeps a nice smaller head that leaves a nice lacing, but not very sticky

S - very fruity smell, with elements or rose and barley malt

T - rose, fruity taste, with elements of passion fruit and grapefruit that adds to the consistent hop bitterness all the way through. initially the bitterness tasted a little funny to me, however, that didnt last long

M - nice medium body, kind of soft and foamy, would like a little less carbonation

D - very drinkable, not much more i can say. theres no other way you could possibly know this was a 9% abv without seeing the label.

01-25-2009 20:28:42 | More by mjw06
marc956

4.45/5  rDev +4%

Having lived in California before moving to Texas I thought I knew my IPAs (especially fond of Lagunitas and Stone Brewing) but this one left a very favourable impression. A lot of flavour and complexity, though a bit more bitter than most IPA's, but highly recommended. Not to be made a session beer of though.

01-25-2009 07:47:54 | More by marc956
patobandito

New Mexico

4.53/5  rDev +5.8%

This is my second offering from Dogfish Head. Tried the 60 minute the other day, and I really enjoyed it. Been looking forward to this one for a while.

Pours a medium amber with a golden tinge. Leaves a large bubble head that takes a few minutes to dissipate, but leaves good lacing. Smells mostly of hops, as I would expect. What I didn't expect was on tasting, The first thing I notice is not hops, but I heavy malt flavor. Not bad, just unexpected. The hops do kick in though. The balance is actually pretty good. As I drank it, it just got better annd better. The malt, while overwhelming at first, is balanced by the hops perfectly. This is truly a great beer, and when I can get it, it will become my staple IIPA.

01-25-2009 00:52:06 | More by patobandito
tittymcj

Connecticut

3.85/5  rDev -10%

Bought this brew after an intense conversation over its merits with my good friend William Pang, hailing from Queens, NY. HOLLA!

DFH 90 Minute IPA pours a medium amber with faint gold. It produces a frothy, bubbly head that lingers for just a few minutes. Good thick lacing remains much longer than the head did.

The smell presents itself as very strong, grassy hops. There is a hint of sweet, heavy malt in the back.

This IPA tastes primarily of thick, sweet malt, which flies in the face of its promising hoppy smell. The swallow leaves a stinging hoppy bitterness behind, but this doesn't last long.

The mouthfeel is medium, with a definite hoppy sting at the end.

This is a very good beer, but the malt overpowers the hops. I will definitely have it again, but it is not my favorite IPA.

01-23-2009 20:18:56 | More by tittymcj
bluesoul

Kentucky

4.2/5  rDev -1.9%

A - Poured a crystal clear, pale gold color with a two finger snow-white fluffy head. Leaves nice bands of sticky lace.

S - Smell is quite different from any other beer I've smelled thus far, big and robust, and quite strong. Citrus notes are quite strong along, like when you're peeling a nice ripe orange. Being from Miami this is a happy scent for me, and just a great smelling beer.

T - For a beer novice like myself, the first sip was not unlike a sucker-punch in the mouth, followed by another one somewhere towards the throat. Somewhat steeled by that first sip, I took another and found that this thing wastes no time getting to the hops, it's not overpowering but enough to pucker your lips if you're caught off guard. As you get a few ounces in, you become acclimated (a polite way of saying numb) to the bitter finish and start to appreciate everything else in the beer, and how the malts aren't left out either. The malts actually seem to become more of a factor as the beer gets warmer, and I can't help but think this is what they were going for. The taste does mirror the smell quite well.

M - Full-bodied, the mouthfeel is almost slick, as I sip my beer. Carbonation is a little low. The 9% ABV is deceptively well-masked. Finish is bitter but very clean.

D - It's a bit pricey to be an every day brew, $3 a single. If you like your hops hoppy and complex this is great. Personally, I'm gonna back off of it for a little while until I'm a little more knowledgable about what all is going on in this beer, there is a LOT.

01-22-2009 04:43:11 | More by bluesoul
mattthunder

4.83/5  rDev +12.9%

Whats not to like here? Taste great, smells great. Does NOT drink like its 9.0. I've had it on tap fresh from brewery, tap at a bar & in a bottle fresh & aged, this one is a success every time.
One of the better IIPA's out there, look forward to comparing it to some others out there.

01-22-2009 03:46:27 | More by mattthunder